Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #106  
helpingrachel

Julia: I am glad for you. I hope it feels great to wake up in a clean bedroom. I treat my trash as a weigh in day or a trip to Goodwill. It just is a way to let myself know that the house is getting lighter. I have to remind myself this is a long process just like weight loss and maintenance. Small steps everyday-toward desired values. I do have my days that I go 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. But overall, progress is being made. I have to get off of here to put clean linens on 2 beds.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-20-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #107  
helpingrachel

Julia: I forgot to answer- Yes! it was great to show him my results of many daily tasks and efforts to bring it to order. The majority of the stuff in there was pitched so I realize that it was lack of making a decision. He texted back how impressed he was. I love the fact that my kids love me warts and all.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #108  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi declutterers!

Today's 1-2-3
old clutter-company books I spent 2 hours this morning and made monumental headway. Chose to stop and not overdo. credit.
current clutter-picked up office and kitchen.
clean-wiped off shelves on refrig. door and wiped out microwave.

Regarding cleaning, I used to always have to clean from the end of the spectrum which was overwhelming…45 min. to clean the microwave, for example. I am now working from the opposite end of that spectrum which I'm finding is sooo much easier. Wiping out my microwave regularly is so much easier. It's another new habit I'm creating.

Julia, kudos for you and DH teaming up in the bedroom! Leave the shame….remember you are not behind just jump in where you are!

Tami(helping rachel), what wonderful reinforcement coming from your DS!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #109  
helpingrachel

Hello All!

Working around the house. I have been blessed in the last 2 weeks by losing weight and making good choices. The reality is, I have lost easily in the first 2 weeks of a diet plan. It's the 3rd week that is hard--( and 4-5-6-7.)

I was willy nilly all through the holidays. I wondered why my weight came back...Someone hand me the clue phone right now! I am in this river of denial.

So Writing my Plan for the week.
Just made roasted brussel sprouts, roasted Kale with spices and coconut oil, and made crab cakes to freeze.

I am cleaning my Master Bedroom that looks like a tornado came thru. It should only take me 20 minutes start to finish. I do carry an egg timer with me sometimes, as I think I am all that if I beat it. (I know a boring life

Feeling congruent with some internal values. Glad my outside actions match my inside desires. My daughter made me change my beck card that read I want to be thinner to I want to be healthier. Good catch, DD.

I am choosing to be lazy today.....if it gets done it does, if it doesn't I won't. Regroup tomorrow with clutter, planning on staying on eating plan.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-21-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #110  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello, still going through the fake it til you make it motion.
I came home and was feeling sorry for myself and in my pity decided to clean the kitchen. Yikes, I couldn't believe the dust on top of the cupboards or on top of the fridge.
Also a bag of stuff to give to goodwill or diabetes. I will keep going through things and then I will place them in bags and leave them by the door.
Cleaned the front entrance way and put hats and mittens that no one wears in the bag.
Walked for a half hour only.
Counselor asked me things I wasn't comfortable answering, I need time, she wasn't too worried, said "this is good." I thought, not for me...lol
I have to go grocery shopping to get more healthy food.
I am thinking of you all. you are doing great through your journeys.
My husband has been working on the house all week and he will be home tonight, that will be nice. We are hoping to get the house done soon.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 01-21-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Debbie- When you said that you used to spend 40min on the microwave by now wipe it more often reminded me if a bad habit that has let to my failure getting the house in order. I will start on a room but do a thorough job with taking down light fixtures, washing windows and getting into the cracks and crevices. I then end up discouraged because I have one clean room and the rest of the house a mess. 1-2-3 I think will put that into perspective.
Tami- That's my reality too-the first weeks are exciting with easy losses. I have had a good one week loss. I need to remember to be patient.
Ann-Your faking it is looking pretty good!
My 1-2-3 is going to be quick today but I WILL DO IT
JuliaWhoIsBurningDinner
Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #112  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

I travel early tomorrow morning and my neighbor will come in to tend to my kitty while I'm gone. I took some time this morning to really "look around" and pick up/clean a few extra items.

This morning as I worked on my "dance" I had a very strong sense of how these daily tasks connect to my food plan. For me the "routine" in my home and the daily/weekly/monthly progress connect very strongly with the daily/weekly/monthly progress I find with my weightloss. As the clutter keeps disappearing I am finding so much less stress and increased time and energy for "dieting." The daily connection with my "stuff" reminds me, too, to have a daily connection with my evolving food plan.

Today's 1-2-3
old clutter-I got a fantastic deal before xmas on the dark choc. we enjoy in moderation. It's been hidden from DH or he'd eat my profits very quickly. This morning I pulled all the bars out (30+) and vacuum sealed them for the freezer. That lead to rethinking the waxed paper/parchment paper stored on top of the vacuum sealer....I found a space where they'd fit in another kitchen drawer which held lots of gadgets. I sorted through and identified 3 which I will never use. They are in my thrift box. That lead me to look at the contents of my china hutch. I am not ready to deal with that yet and that's ok.

current clutter-picked up, washed dishes and consolidated laundry for after work-so my work clothes will be clean when I return home next week.

clean-looked at my beautiful lacquer teaset which I brought back from HongKong 37 years ago. It is an item I have chosen to keep even though I have no use for it. I brought it into the kitchen and washed each piece and put it back in it's (for now) spot. Eventually it will have a better home.

Julia, I relate...I used to attack one room full force then run out of energy for everything else. I am now finding that all rooms progress a bit at a time which seems more "balanced". Yay for a 1-2-3 no matter how small.

Ann(NewLifestyle), yay for movement of "stuff" even as you continue to be very gentle with yourself.

Tami(helping rachel), how wonderful to be feeling congruent with internal values. Nice, too, that DD could support you in transitioning with a change to your Beck card. My big shift was from "I want to be healthy" to "I want to stay healthy".

Ok, long winded this morning....have a great day everyone. I am going to do a bit of packing this morning before work. Last trip I forgot my ipod which is something I really enjoy having over there when I have time to go to the gym and ride a recumbent bike. This time I won't forget.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Yesterday's report:
Old clutter: random papers that needed to be tossed.
Current clutter: Folded laundry and put away
Clean: washed dishes, cleaned countertops and swept kitchen floor.

For now my "old clutter" is really current clutter that hasn't been attended to when it should have been. I will eventually get to more of the really old stuff but I'm OK with that right now, I will get to it with 1-2-3

Thank you all for being on this thread, it has helped me so much.

Lexxiss- have a wonderful and safe trip.
Tami and Ann- I hope you have had a good day
Julia
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #114  
helpingrachel

Hi Ladies!

Ann: Your kitchen sounds like mine. I am always shocked to see how much dust has collected on the frig. and cabinets. Glad I don't have to look there very often.
Hugs to you regarding the steps to process with your counselor. I am sure that it is hard to find words sometimes. I bet you are looking forward to seeing your husband. What house has he been working on?

Julia: Look at your bad self getting all that cleaning done. I think what I like most about this thread is that you guys support me in some of the most boring tasks. It's nice to share progress doing these very exciting chores:group hug:

Slow and steady wins the race!

Lexxiss: You would have to hide that chocolate from me too! Sounds wonderful and what a good idea to seal/freeze. Have fun over the hill. I hope you get lots of self care time in. I also like your proactive approach to have a clean work outfit and to remember your iPod.

Snowed last night- shoveled drive, did laundry-grocery shopped.

I wanted a 32 oz. beer today about 3pm. I am more of a red wine drinker so I was taken by surprise at the desire for a beer. I went to the grocery store and placed right by the oranges was a 12 pack of BLUE MOON. I wanted to belly right up to the bar in the produce aisle and have a cold one. I then remembered that it wasn't about me! I came home threw a container of cottage cheese into the food processor with cappella cake batter drops, vanilla and some monk fruit sweetener. Voila! vanilla ice cream. I put one 1T of carmel vodka in it so it would be soft. My daughter was dancing around the kitchen as she couldn't believe that it was so good. Found a plan B for cravings... Only 80 calories for 1/2 cup. The grocery store is a trigger for me. Looks like I am going to need some time to re-wire this brain.

Have a blessed night !

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-23-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #115  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation

Decluttering Buddies

Not much going on here. I am still in a slump. I just can't get any momentum going. However, I just need to keep starting because it's not going to happen any other way.

Today's a write-off but tomorrow is another story. My diabetes society excess clutter pick-up is the morning of the 24th. I have about 6 things ready for them to take. I can do a few boxes tomorrow if I make it a priority. I would like to see some progress before the month ends.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-22-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #116  

Hello all. I am back from my trip and started off the work week (Tues) with a 12 hour day at work. I did one clutter item at work at the end of the day. And even though I was so tired and pre migraine, I forced myself when I came home late to pick up some home clutter. Not really sure how to classify it in regard to new and old clutter - I just picked up what I saw. Emptied my suitcase and put the luggage away and picked up a bunch of other things. Started going through the mail which is a chore I hate. I have trouble filing, so anything that I need to keep gets put into baskets until I force myself to deal with it. I am hoping to get the filing aspect under control as part of this program. Paper clutter overwhelms me. I keep reminding myself to just 'jump in' when I start to over focus on the wrong things. It is funny how something simple can make such a difference in attitude.

Didn't have time to read Beck on my trip but I am borrowing Beck on CD from the library. It is in today and I can pick it up this afternoon. Since I have a half hour commute time, I can listen to and from work.

I have not commented on individual posts but I really appreciate reading them. I keep picking up ideas each time I read something.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #117  
helpingrachel

OnebyOne: Glad to hear from you. We are in the middle of 4 degree temperatures that make me want to hibernate. Sending hugs to your creative-caring self.

Zanoic: Wow, what a long day. Credit for putting things in order even though you didn't want to. I loved what you said about something so simple can make a difference in attitude. I am at a loss for paper filing as well. Maybe there is a lurker out there that is a paper filing/organizing wizard that will give us some advice. If not, I will research. I need to be taught on how to keep paperwork organized. Better late than never to learn.

OC: Kitchen table has paper, stuff that needs to find it home. DH has been away for 1 week and gets back into today.

NC: My oldest son's room has a few boxes that need to be put in the attic. They are labeled and the job should take 20 minutes at best. I have been procrastinating for 14 days. Time to shift the focus and energy.

Clean: Kitchen floor. Snow tracked and my daughter dropping a bottle of hot sauce makes this chore a must do.

Hi to all, hope you day finds you living out your values.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

My tiny contribution: When out walking yesterday, I passed a FREE box on the curb with two books on statistics and 12 books on bridge. I was in heaven thinking about all I might take.

Then I rationally evaluated the two on statistics to realize that they were less current than others that I have. Then remembered that I no longer play bridge and don't have time to amuse myself reading about it.

So, I left them all on the curb - every single one - and didn't add them to the clutter in my house. Failure to increase my clutter is a small step forward.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #119  
helpingrachel

BBE: I am blessed to hear your process. The ole "It's not about me card" comes in handy even when things are free. I am grateful for this site and the opportunity to hear people's stories and internal/external experiences.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #120  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

I woke up early this morning (travel day) and really really really resisted doing anything. I just wanted to take the cat and walk out the door leaving everything undone...as is. My reality:
The kitty absolutely hates the travel AND doesn't really like the space of our smaller spot here, either. So I remembered that I can do this.
Good news-once I GOT STARTED it was automatic. I made the bed, picked up, enjoyed coffee, got everything set up for the kitty and walked out the door. Once out it made so much sense to me to wash the car before hitting the interstate so I could clean off the windows/lights and see better in the dark. Yay.
Today's 1-2-3 dance
old clutter-made myself take the vacuum sealed choc to the basement freezer
current clutter-everything picked up and put away!
clean-as I unpacked at the "other" house I saw all the dust on my desk. I cleaned it before setting up my computer.

Motto for today "Just do it!"
I called and made a long procrastinated dental appt. I have to leave NOW. bbl

I have worked hard on an pretty simple paperwork system if anyone is interested.
Closed Thread