3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Clearing the Way to Spring: Jan 1/Mar 20, 2013 Decluttering Challenge/Support Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/272345-clearing-way-spring-jan-1-mar-20-2013-decluttering-challenge-support-thread.html)

Newlifestyle 03-16-2013 05:54 PM

Hello ladies

I hope you are all well.
Tami, it is so scary about your DD. We just returned from vacation and my son isn't feeling well, I find that difficult, I can't imagine what you and your daughter are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.

Debbie, while I was on vacation I couldn't access my home email because I couldn't remember my hint questions to verify it was me on another computer. I guess it is frustrating to have tourists but also great to have tourists for the economy.

Onebyone- Have a wonderful time on Toronto Island. I hope your kitty gets better soon, it is so difficult when our pets aren't well.

Mountain Mama- the flu sucks, I hope you are feeling better.

Lulu - Welcome, I was very organized until one of my sons told his friends our home looked like a show home. I wanted my house to look and feel lived in. I need to find a happy medium.

When I returned home from vacation my house was in order, I had done it before we left. It was so nice to return to an organized house now to keep it this way....that is the challenge.

Have a great night.
Take Care
Ann

helping rachel 03-16-2013 06:57 PM

Ann,

Good to hear from you. How was your vacation. What was the highlight of your vacation. Hope your son starts to feel better.

Isn't funny how what looks normal and organized to one person, might not be the norm for another.

Have a blessed evening.

Lexxiss 03-17-2013 08:05 AM

Hi declutterers!

Ann(Newlifestyle), I love coming home when I've taken time to accomplish tasks before I go.

Tami(helping rachel), wow! I'll bet your DD will be surprised! I love your quote. It reminded me, once in yoga our teacher mentioned Practice. Someone volunteered, Yes, practice makes perfect. Our teached quietly replied...practice makes practice

We returned from our days away and everything got dumped. It's quite a distance from the car as we haul stuff. I had to work yesterday and was tired from the drive. When I got home from work yesterday I immediately noticed that DH had not done one thing...
I could get irritated which only hurts me.
I could just do it. I started downstairs and went through every room....cat box to clean laundry to fold groceries/recycle from trip to put away on and on.
When I finished I felt better and that's what matters.
DH expressed a little "regret" he had not helped. Whatever. For me, it's about the path of least resistence.

My internet will be sketchy today (ski traffic).
I'll commit to a 1-2-3 (after coffee)

I was...organized enough to remember to get my internet paperwork done early. credit.

I

helping rachel 03-17-2013 07:01 PM

Happy St. Patty's day to all.

DD was thrilled when she got home. If fact she had tears in her eyes. Truly appreciative. My DH took a picture and said this is to remind you when you start letting things go. She was elected Vice President of her State business club. Glad for her but as her Mother, stressing balance. She has a tender heart for helping the poor, elderly and special needs. Glad for her compassionate heart but sometimes have to remind, caring for herself is on the list as well.

Motivation to get the house really clean as I will have both boys home from college with 4 additional friends. Working on Menu and some additional cleaning.

Lexxiss: Your comment hit home with me about staying true to your plan and story regardless if anyone else is. Not blending into somebody's story is priceless. Sometimes you have to duck at what is swirling around.

Hi to Julia, Mountain Mama, Onebyone and Ann! As well as anyone else!

Newlifestyle 03-18-2013 07:57 AM

Hello everyone

I have been exhausted, this vacation is tiring...lol.
Not really, my brother came to visit and we had many late evenings and we got up very early...yikes, does not work well for me or DS, we definitely need our sleep.

Tami- what an awesome mom you are. Kudos to you for reminding DD she has to take care of herself too. When you mentioned about sons and friends coming home from college it reminded me of our house, we always brought strays home, it made for many fond memories.

Lexi, thanks for the reminder that even though someone else may not be on board instead of being disappointed I can just move on and get it done. 15 minutes of my time is better than no time spent on a task. While I was away I checked my telephone messages and the people who pick up donations had called. I called them back to arrange pick up, I told them I would have four clear garbage bags for them. Yeah done.

As I looked around my house with my brother visiting, I realize how easy it would have been to say I will get that later, clutter follows him...lol

Onebyone, I hear there is snow coming to your area. I hope you stay nice and warm.

Julia, how are you doing and where are you. I love the captions on the bottom of your posts.

Mountain Mama, Hello to you. Have a great day.

Lulu, How are you? Did you have a nice weekend.

Hello to anyone I missed.

Take Care
Ann

helping rachel 03-18-2013 10:51 AM

Ann,
It sounds like your brother's visit is keeping you busy. I will keep in mind that clutter follows houseguests and 20 somethings! I sat and pondered how I want the space of our home to be for their arrival and what can I do to make it special for them. My son and his girlfriend are going to see the broadway show, Lion King. I thought it would be fun to do the life lessons from Lion King with them. I think she might like that as she is an Art Major. My second son is just ready for some home cooking. I love that.

Called a painter today to finish DS's bedroom. If I don't get a call back will tackle that on Wednesday.

Off to work and taking care of business.

Blessings to all, may you feel empowered to get the things done that are calling for your attention. Me included!!

Lexxiss 03-18-2013 08:50 PM

Hi!

I think I may be trying to catch a bit of a cold...I'm headed to bed right now. This morning was rushed but I did my tasks anyway. credit. Tomorrow AM I won't get here. We're traveling after work and I have to pick my coworker up at 530.

Take care!

helping rachel 03-19-2013 12:14 PM

Lexxis: Sending healing thoughts your way. Hope your day is filled with kindness. Safe travels after work.

Ann: What are you up to today? Your post encouraged me to make a goodwill run with DD's clothes.

Cleaned my kitchen, left the kitchen table to do with DD, as much of the clutter
belongs to her. Off to MBR for a quick 15 clean.

Sending loving thoughts to all who are reading, may you hold value and purpose in your heart today.

Mountain Mamma 03-19-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexxiss (Post 4669117)
Hi declutterers! Several questions: Mountain Mamma, you asked; "Since Beck is a behaviorist, let me ask you Becksters – what do you find you successfully keep up with just because you've always done it? What have you started or stopped because of a big change, like a move or new job? What are your blind spots? What’s your ‘happy’ clutter and what makes you cringe? "

1. I successfully keep my hanging items in my closet organized and sorted AND I am always current with the laundry...washing when needed and putting away when done. Why? My SIL taught me those techniques when I was 18-19 years old and living with them while in college.
2. When we moved to a smaller house in Alaska, I put stuff in boxes and then work got busy. As I gained more physical weight I detached from alot of things and pretty much stopped trying. I hauled everything down to Colo. w/o going through stuff and put it all in the basement. I only recently started going through those items….most I have donated as they no longer apply to my current and future lifestyle.
3. My blind spots are similar to the "hotspots" that flylady describes….tops of dressers and desks, the corner of the dining room table and the counter next to the kitchen sink. I make an effort daily to keep those areas cleaned off.
4. My happy clutter is in my kitchen. I've found a way to incorporate a lot of beautiful items both above cabinets, on counter tops and hanging on the walls. What makes me cringe?? Unfinished paperwork.

So, what I stated above, now that I review it, is where I get my daily routine, my 1-2-3 dance. I keep my hotspots sorted (current clutter), continue to go through boxes (old clutter) and keep my chosen "things" and spaces (clean). As far as CBT is concerned, the longer I practice my "routine" the easier it gets. Yay!

How about you?

To answer - yeah, laundry & clothes are easy as is paying bills. Probably because I was on my own at an early age & was terrified I'd bounce a check. I guess I wonder why my bedroom is always tidy but my desk isn't. Like Lulu says - putting things where they belong.
My 'happy clutter' is also my kitchen - I'm cleaner than I am neat, so if I use a blender a lot, it is going to stay out conveniently on my counter: it may not look "clean" but it darn well is. I can't stand decorator photos of kitchens without so much as a knife out. I'd be afraid of messing it up & would never cook!! Like HelpingRachel said, family dinner is important.

Cringe - clothes on the floor, dirty bathrooms.

Blind spot - mail piling up (I no sooner get off of one mailing list than two more get my address) and packing/unpacking - I travel a lot but am usually beat when I get home.

I'm good at big sessions of cleaning & sorting & usu. don't have problems tossing stuff but not good at day to day. So I need to work at routines for everything.

helping rachel 03-19-2013 09:31 PM

Mountain Mama, I relate to wanting to clean or have "big sessions" of cleaning. I am learning that it only takes X amount of time to get small projects done. Both ways work, thank goodness.

Thanks for sharing and asking the questions.

onebyone 03-19-2013 10:59 PM

winding up

Hello Declutterers

I'm away from home and managing to keep my shae of the stuio area clean enough and I cna find anything we need that I need to find and that is because I have been more mindful of keeping things together and getting rid of the clutter everyday of this residency. Alos, we are in a communal environment where we share the kitchen and the bathrooms. The bathrooms are not too bad cause we are all on different schedules, but the kitchen can be a traffic jam. Tonight 2 people were using all the burners on the stove so we retreated to our studio to eat cheese and bread and drink wine. Don't think this has happened everyday cause it hasn't! It was, however, awesome. the weather is not cooperating as it is cold and snowy and windy and this means I won't get a chance to paint the water from a spot on the beach. Oh well, I guess.

I'll be starting another decluttering challenge on the 21st. I will be back home and I am sure I will see all the tuigns I need to do with fresh eyes. I hope you can join me as we push on into summer.

Bye for now.

helping rachel 03-19-2013 11:06 PM

OnebyOne: Wine, cheese and bread sounds lovely. I will be ready to join you on a new thread to push into summer. The crocus have sprung from the earth here. We are expecting more snow at the end of the week. Just a little tease that is making my heart long for sunshine and sitting on my big wrap around porch. Ready for the push as once summer comes I want to be outside as much as possible.

Lexxiss 03-20-2013 06:23 PM

I, too, look forward to continuing on here. I'm definitely looking forward to more time outdoors but during THIS challenge I believe I truly learned that I can keep ON TRACK pretty much every day no matter what else I wish to do. Thanks to all of you who hang here with me.

We traveled yesterday. I was tired last night but thought through the "plan" for our time here. The pup had a serious issue and needed an immediate bath and a home groom since he needs to visit his cardiologist soon. I bathed him last night so he'd be ready for a spiff up this morning. Done.

I went to the library and picked up several "fun" books so I'd be tempted to take some time off but washed my cutlery holder after lunch, anyway. It was full of crunchies I'd been staring at for awhile.

I'm going to keep my current clutter in check since we leave here Friday. I did notice at the pool this morning that I'd cleaned out my little locker the last time we were over.

Small things add up.

onebyone 03-20-2013 11:59 PM

end of the challenge - but it's not over

Decluttering Friends

I say goodnight to you all on this First Day of Spring. N matter hw far you've come, if you are new here, or long time decluttering folks youa re welcome to join me tomorrow when we mve toward the summer. Thanks for being here. I did accomplish a few of my goals and more and more I refine and re-define what I want to live with. Thanks for that.