Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #166  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi declutterers!

I slept in and work early today. Days like these I use flyladys technique of getting dressed(including shoes) before doing anything else. That way when I realize I need to be running out the door...I'll be dressed. lol I also have a more realistic expectation of what I can get accomplished, too.

Because I slept in my saboteur told me I didn't need to do anything. Today I understand with me it's about a daily ROUTINE.

So....

Today's 1-2-3

old clutter-yesterdays current turned into today's old. I picked up my office desk of paperwork I unpacked yesterday. credit.

current clutter-made the bed, put away laundry, put away pile of shoes that had accumulated

clean-vacuumed kitchen and cleaned upstairs toilet

Julia, thanks for sharing your counselors insight. Coming from an emotionally detatched family it is a bit comforting.

onebyone, yay for continued sorting of receipts. It's really comforting to know that the past stuff doesn't have to be perfect because there is a plan set in place (and being executed) for current.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #167  
helpingrachel

Home today as we had school cancelled because of a snow storm. I wrote my menu out on a pad of paper (thanks-Lexxiss) as I was ready to go on an eating binge with everything that wasn't tied down. No awareness of hunger. I guess I think snow days = calorie free days. Made a batch of kale and stuck in under my 1/2 cup of chili to feel full at lunch.

Clean- MBR- Hang all clothes and put away the one basket that I have been walking around for 3 days.

Old Clutter: File my invoices and admin. work for my Jan billing cycle. Put it back in it's home.

New Clutter: Wednesday is grocery ad day, need to cut out coupons and make my list for this week.

In a funk from this weather. I was sharing with my husband how much nature de- stresses me. I may fire up the snow blower to get the drifts out of the driveway just to get outside. Boss has me on a call at 3 for "The psychology of willpower-great white bear experiment". Should be interesting or at least stimulating.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-30-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #168  

Hello all. I am checking in. I don't get to read the thread every day but manage to get here once every couple of days and catch up. I keep trying to take away things from here that I learn and I think about these things lots. Right now I am working on skipping the middle step and putting it way at the moment I am done. Definitely a work in progress and a challenge. I am also trying to figure how to put it all together. Thank goodness for the advice of just jump in. Somedays I feel like I am a living breathing blob of chaos.

I am also realizing that working on this in conjunction with weight loss may be a good thing. I feel frustrated at my weight situation having gained since last fall and am now working on turning it around again. I have a long slow road ahead of me and focusing on the chaos (aka clutter) allows me to see progress when I might not see progress related to my body. And besides, I have always felt the two were related in my world.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Michele
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #169  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

I have an entire day off and also have some heavy thoughts on my mind. My brother let me know last night that his hubby is in the throes of late stage alcoholism and is having a difficult go. As a recovering alcoholic, myself, I understand the difficulty AND the joy of getting to the other side. I have written my brother back and am hoping he will update me (after dr appt. later today)

So, the best thing I can do is take care of myself. My summer-helper is needing some work and my initial thought was to get him painting my tv room. I really thought it through (he tends to be a somewhat sloppy painter) AND my conclusion was:
"I am not ready for this project yet and doing it "just" to accommodate his financial situation is not where I need to be right now."

So, today, I will move forward AND feel my feelings.
Michele(znaoic), reading your post regarding decluttering and seeing progress where you might not see progress otherwise rings very true to me today. ...in a bit of a different context. Today, I can see progress at home while I live with the uncomfortable-ness of my DB/BIL's situation.
Tami(helping rachel), the weather this time of year is definitely "mood affecting" in my book. Yesterday morning's drive to work was quite miserable and my thought was to write a list of fun things to do when it was nice out again. Until then, I might as well keep forging ahead inside.

Todays 1-2-3
Clean-cleaned in the kitchen including scrubbing sink.

Current clutter-picked up downstairs and WILL pick up in my office AFTER finishing my "old clutter" project

Old clutter-sometimes I just "get into something" and know it's time. This morning I opened a hutch next to my piano. It's been hiding piano music and an old vcr. I opened it because I was thinking about how I could put my small tv downstairs to use with my walking videos. I haven't figured it out but I have piano music strewn all over my dining room table.
It is a 1-2-3
1. Identify stuff I don't want-music I am not interested in but is destined for thrift.
2. Identify stuff that is recycle only
3. Put what I want to keep back in the cupboard and piano bench.

The bonus here was that I actually opened up the piano and played a few songs..."enrich your life" Dr. Beck says. It seems I never play because there is always too much undone "stuff" and because my music is a clutter bomb. It's a nice thought that my piano once again be used to it's true purpose instead of a giant catch all for clutter. credit.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #170  
helpingrachel

Will be back later for indies....

Lexxiss: It's a blessing to see you practice self care in the midst of feeling sadness and pain with dear family members. Throws co-dependency right on its ear. I pulled out my list of what it looks like as a sober recovering co-dependent aka as Queen of Caretaking to revisit movements and check to see if I need to tweak anything. A reminder is helpful that we must take care of ourselves before we take care of anyone else.

Michelle- I have lots of thoughts about this but I am out the door for work...Be back with my 1-2-3- list and some insight that I have experienced.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #171  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

As is frequent with my "routine" (yes it is becoming routine) I start somewhere and one thing leads to the next. I got up early hoping to finish the company paperwork but a question which came up can only be answered by my mom during regular business hours. So I moved on to some cleaning and decluttering.....

Today's 1-2-3

clean-big bookcase in living room...quite dusty

old clutter-weeded out quite a few more books as I cleaned the bookcase

current clutter-I picked up the kitchen last night and 1/2 took care of my office this morning. I will finish once bookwork is done.

The bookcase looks and feels better. No need for outdated travel books...we'd acquire new ones if we ever decided to go anywhere. Weeded out a few more cookbooks which no longer synch with the way we eat.

I'm really going to try to get all the stuff to thrift today....it's in piles right now.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #172  
helpingrachel

Up and going in this beautiful -5 weather. (Not)

Laundry in while coffee brewing.

MBR dusted/bed made before I go out the door.

Planning on filing when I get home tonight during my favorite Friday night shows.

Grateful that I am 10 lbs lighter than the 1st day of January. I need to fire up new thoughts and goals for February. I would like to include a consistent exercise routine as I am all over the place. I love water aerobics with a kind and encouraging teacher. They teach Zumba in the water as well. I looked up the schedule and need to put action behind that knowledge.

Hope you have a blessed day, Declutters.......Shedders of things to the real you.

Last edited by helping rachel; 02-01-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Greeting Declutterers,

Lexxiss/Debbie-so sorry to hear about your BIL. My dad died an alcoholic (probably a contributing factor but not the direct cause) Do take care of yourself and be gentle. Good choice on not hiring a sloppy painter to meet his/hers financial needs. I find when I do that, I end up kicking myself later. Peace with your decision..NO GUILT!
I've not been doing my daily dance for the last 3 days. You are so right that it has to be "no choice" for me. I need to do at least the 5 minute dance whether I feel like it or not. Thanks for being such a good role model aby reporting your "walking the walk" everyday.

Tami Winter sucks, that's all I have to say. Well done on the 10 January pounds gone. That is such a milestone! Biggg credits. You are so right saying we have to take care of ourselves before we can take care of others. That's part of why I'm suffering emotionally now, as a family we went through a huge crisis lasting a year and a half. Dad's death was the straw that broke the camels back.

Michele I learn alot on this thread too. I also feel motivated and inspired when I read about other people's progress. Chaos is the exact word to describe my home. Little by little, step by step...

OnebyOne, IBelieveInMe2, Ann- I hope all is going well with you.

JuliaGettingBackTo1-2-3
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #174  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

Quick check in..I'm drinking my smoothie and off to work. I thought I had a food event last eve and despite my best efforts the casserole was a flop; the eggs didn't set and even as I tried to fix it in my frying pan it was yuk. I came up with plan B and set out to p/u my friend. In the car I remembered it was Feb 1 and the potluck was last Fri. of the month.

Came home to the big mess...looked and absolutely pitched the entire mess. The old me would have tried to figure out how to freeze it for something later. It just wasn't going to happen. It was bad and nothing would fix it. credit for not cluttering the freezer with inedibles.

Woke up late this morning and decided to 1-2-3 anyway NO CHOICE

1. old clutter-took vita c packs from upstairs bathroom downstairs where they belong
2. current clutter-made bed, put away yesterday's clothes, picked up dining room table.
2. clean-washed my bedroom nightstand, washed the small drawer in my fridge, cleaned up cat barf.

I'm so glad I cleaned up the kitchen mess last night. I was very grateful not to have to wake up to it.

Happy Saturday!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #175  

Lexxiss I got a laugh out of the flopped casserole that you didn't need anyway.
Today's 1-2-3
Old Clutter-Saturday project-dejunk basement closet under the stairs
New Clutter-get packages mailed to Mom and DS
Clean-So many choices
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #176  
helpingrachel

Out of the door to watch my DD give a speech for a State DECA leadership conference. Dishwasher done, laundry done---will put it away when I get back.

My clean will be the floor in the shower/bathroom area-MBR. You could weave a small toupe out of the hair on the floor. And my husband is bald---Yikkes!

Have a good Saturday.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #177  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

Julia, yay for getting back to a 1-2-3!

Tami (helping rachel), I used to gripe (to myself) because DH trimmed his beard everywhere. Then a few months ago I got down on the bathroom floor to give it a real cleaning....it was my hair that was all over. Now I try to be neater about it....stepping up to the plate, I guess.

After anticipating a quiet day at home I was called in to work. My coworker had a little too much fun last night and texted me a 130am. It works for me because she'll trade me for a Saturday after her DH returns to Alaska and I'll be able to spend an extended weekend poolside.

Recognizing I wouldn't have the day off I hopped into a brief 1-2-3
Old clutter-put away some old cassette tapes I had decided to keep. Washed a crystal candle thingie from the bookcase and put it in thrift. Threw away a multi plug electrical outlet I determined is defunct.

Current clutter-picked up, doing laundry right now

Clean-cleaned out the cat box.

I had a nice surprise this morning...I was looking on the floor for my work pants...discovered I had folded them and put them in the drawer. An automatic response I don't remember yet a good sign.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #178  

Hey Declutterers:

Alert: Lots of detail here. I like to process my decluttering and dejunking.

Another busy Saturday project! DH,DD and I cleaned out the closet under the basement stairs. No treasures, just a lot of "Why is this in here?" Cleaned out the game/toy closet as well. We had a whole truck load of stuff for the dump and a big load for good will. We didn't put it off, we went as soon as we had a load. Also the library got a bunch of kids books for their sale.

I did keep some things that will probably not make the cut later. I used to do dried flower arrangements. (that hobby didn't last too long) My sister-in-law was able to get wholesale dried flowers for me. I have boxes of dried flowers that I don't just want to throw away. I'm going to sort through them and consolidate into fewer boxes if possible. Maybe they will get donated someday. I can think about this one for awhile. I kept some of my son's first duplo blocks, their first puzzles and a box of toy cars, barbie clothes (why?). I guess I kept some memories that I wasn't able to part with just yet. It takes up less than a shelf in the game closet. If I ever have grandchildren, they will be nice to pass on or have to play at grandma's house. I am crying as I write this, I miss my little ones now that they are 18 and 20.

On to a lighter note. My DH is an engineer. He has brought home so many electronic things from work and has always been a collecter of gadgets. I found a box of old portable dvd players (I think there were 4 of them-none working). Yesterday he sorted through 2-3 boxes of power cords and wires. I'm don't think that many are getting thrown away but I'm going to keep my mouth shut. They are sorted, bagged in ziplocks and labeled. We've already destroyed 3 computers (2 laptops) and donated for salvage. We've been through all the rooms and closets down there except for the storage room. I have decorations for all seasons that can be weeded out and lots of other unknown junk.

Old clutter: the basement project continues
New clutter: recycled pop cans around the house.
Clean: dishes

Today's plan:
Clean: family room (vacuum/dust/etc)
New clutter: newspapers, pay bills
Old clutter: finish yesterday's project (putting odds and ends away)

Julia
p.s. I just heard the cat barf. I can add that to my clean list if the dog doesn't get to it first.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #179  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Yay Julia! Thanks for the detail, including the part about shedding some tears. This is an emotional process with great rewards. Glad that your DH is participating, too. There are sentimental things we will "save" and that's ok. There are also sentimental things we will choose to let go of and that's ok, too. Items like your dried flowers can sit until you have the right answer. When you are hauling so much stuff out you will have so much more space, anyway.

Me:
Woke up with resolve to finish the company books 100%. DONE! (old clutter)

I have done the dishes and will make the bed (current clutter)
I didn't make any messes yesterday!

clean-sweep the landing at the top of my stairs and upstairs bathroom. This will take 2 minutes.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #180  
helpingrachel

Hi All!

Plugging away at weight loss and de-cluttering goals for February. I cleaned my first floor in an hour today. I am realizing that that area is almost in "maintenance" stage. Most of the clutter is done from 6 rooms so it is easy to get in there and pick-up/dust/vacuum. I cleaned and organized my 2 son's room on 2nd level. Both closets are in need of a good decluttering.

Lexxiss: Wow! Reading "company's books 100% done" makes me happy to see the results from your consistent-staying power to git-R-done!.

Julia: You are making amazing progress in the basement. Sending hugs for those tears of memories with your kids. I have custom bowling balls from my deceased mother that I hope one day, a grandkid might like. I have a sewing project in the attic and I am not ready to give it up .......yet.......so it sits......maybe someday.

I have out my beck book tonight and am digging deep for a new focus for February to go with my CBT thoughts. If I land on anything, I will post ....at least my nose isn't in the ice cream.
Closed Thread