3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/272260-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-january-2013-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 01-01-2013 04:45 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes 01-01-2013 04:48 AM

Tuesday - New Year's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Happy New Year fellow Becksters.

Walked to the physical therapist, again. New exercise is to stand on the recovering leg like a flamingo with eyes closed. Boy does that ever remind me that a big part of balance is in vision. Then I walked to the gym were I, again, added five more minutes to my stationary bike time. Stationary bike is great because I can read while I pedal. Did my, now eight, exercises twice as prescribed, CREDIT moi.

Bad news is that my head cold kept me from both events last night - Ouch. I went to bed at 9pm and slept hard. Guess that it's good news that my calorie intake for New Year's Eve was low since I passed on expected tables laden with food and goodies. Dinner was one salmon sushi roll - well below allocated calories for the evening. CREDIT moi to me and my head cold for staying on the path.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat statistics for the year. I, too, like your weight in kg's which I don't relate to human bodies. Hope your snow is bounded.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, Kudos indeed for the "awareness" that sane eating yields the benefits. And extra Kudos for facing an overburdened day from a calm place.

Nature Girl – Yay for having a friend who's a healthy eater to greet the new year with. Congrats for maintaining over the eating season.

FutureFitChick – Sending supportive thoughts as you process the memories of your dad over the holidays. Kudos for forging ahead through the unexpected foods, putting it behind you with "Oh, Well" and preparing for last night.

BigchiefDavid – Shuddering as I think of your century ride in the heat and humidity of southern Louisiana. Kudos for working on your "Ideal Scene for next year" with your DW. Sounds like a sane approach to exercising.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat
.....If you can identify the triggers that
evoke sabotaging thoughts
and lead you to eat in
unhelpful ways, you can minimize your exposure
.....to them
or change your response to them.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 28.

Electro 01-01-2013 06:54 AM

Hi, and what a welcome to the New Year. Weighed in and found I have broken through a stagnation and cracked a milestone I've been waiting for the last two weeks. Persistence has paid off, phew. It is my reward for staying on plan over the season and especially on NYE!

Happy New year everyone!

nationalparker 01-01-2013 10:39 AM

Happy New Year, all! We arrived back home from Florida to waaayy too much snow - spent hours yesterday shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. Did the marketing so we'd have good options for meals. Now to PLAN those meals.

Did not do well, Beck's-wise, through the holidays and have brought a few extra pounds into the New Year with me. Picking myself up, dusting myself off, and getting back on track today. Need to review, make fresh response cards so I don't skim them, and GET GOING.

I've missed a lot of the personals on here and hope to get caught back up now that we're home and getting back into the routine. Moving my signature up to start CLEAN. UGH.

FutureFitChick 01-01-2013 11:18 AM

Hi, Everyone. Happy New Year. I ended up getting a GI bug that kept me at home last night, so I didn't have a party to deal with.

I am down this morning because my pup got really sick yesterday and I took her to the ER. It is looking very grave and suspect that her pain and weakness (that we had been trying to treat symptomatically) may be due to leukemia. She is having an abdominal ultrasound today. We have opted to not have a bone marrow biopsy done because of her advanced age. (She is 11 and that is middle of the range for Saint Bernards' lifespans.) I am really missing her, as she was always next to us wherever we went. We hope to be able to bring her home soon for palliative care. I will miss her greatly. We moved here with 4 cats and 2 dogs. She is the last one left after only six years. (Everyone got old at the same time.)

With all that, trying to get my writing done is difficult. I keep finding myself looking at stupid Pinterest to keep my mind off of her. Last night I had 4 of my husbands mini-Christmas cookies. Dumb response to sadness is to make me more sad by stopping the weight loss. Oh well - I am putting that behind me and have a plan for today.

BigChiefDave, what a great goal that is for your riding! It sounds like you have a great deal of momentum to begin the year!

BillBlueEyes, great job for staying the course with the rehab. In spite of the cold, CREDIT to you for sushi and not the high calorie junk.

Electra, that is great news about the milestone!! Way to go!

GardenerJoy, I am happy for you that you have determined where your maintenance weight should be. That is great for a bright outlook on managing your weight.

NatureGirl, that is great to hear that you are on track with your weight. I hope you managed to get all of the craft glue cleaned up this morning. What a great idea that was for NYE!

NationalParker, glad you made it home safely. Sounds like a busy day with shopping and shoveling. Great to hear you are refocusing on Beck! Congratulations.

BigchiefDavid 01-01-2013 02:30 PM

Ah 2013

Hey Coaches and Fellow Becksters,

We rang in the New Year with fireworks and some overindulgence, but today feels reflective and a chance to relax and look ahead. I really enjoy the planning and the strategies for losing and maintaining my goal weight, so unlike decades of past resolutions I'm not fearing January 2nd.

GardenerJoy: I read your "Fifty and Feeling Fabulous" and I laughed at our similarities: librarians who turn to books for inspiration (I read Kessler's tome a couple years back as well) and I also eat mostly whole foods. Great stuff and I hope you're proud of yourself. I hope I can feel "Forty Nine and Fabulous" later this year.

I'm glad I began my Beck journey in December because now I can honestly say I had a great holiday season and still lost more than 10 pounds. Credit moi, but Mardi Gras is coming soon. More parading, kids on my shoulders and dancing than King Cake and fried chicken this year.

Until that time...

BigchiefDavid 01-01-2013 02:32 PM

FutureFitChick: So sorry to hear about your pup. We have been mourning for the past couple of weeks--I still hear and see my sweet Lily everyday as I walk around the house. We are blessed to have such wonderful companions in life even if their stays are too short.

Beverlyjoy 01-01-2013 05:10 PM

Hi Becksters... Happy New Year. My back is finally doing better from when I helped DH with the plumbing. I've been on some 'la la' drugs... but, now I am finally over the hump and starting to feel better. I have eaten some extra. I do always write in my journal that food does not take away pain. I think I need to tatoo this to my brain.

I will move forward to hop back on my plan.

Hope you are all doing well.

Lexxiss 01-01-2013 06:29 PM

Hi Coaches!

A late check in...one very busy day at work! Great exercise and I am always so grateful that I am able to do something so physical again. I had my morning smoothie (thank goodness) and had 2 pc. toast and several tomato slices at work. credit. Dinner is planned and healthy.

FutureFitChick, so sorry to hear about your pup. I hope she gets to come home and be with you. :hug:

Beverlyjoy, glad to hear your back is doing better.

Wishing us all a healthy 2013. Thanks for all your friendship and support here.

onebyone 01-01-2013 09:55 PM

welcome welcome

Coaches

I'm superstitious about how I see the new year in, believing that what I do on the eve sets the tone for the next year. I have always spent it in quiet reflection, with the odd night going out to see fireworks. This year has been different and I think that's good. DH and I have switched social roles after 22 years together. He is now the social one with the friends dragging me out to his social events. I'm the one grumbling wanting to be quiet anad stay in. Two nights in a row he did this to me which is unprecedented. I went, as he did for me. But he owes me, as I did for him. The first challenge was the event with his family on Sunday night, the one I told you I was taking you Becksters with me for. Well, thanks for the assistance. I did well during the evening, and I filled half of my plate with salad *credit* and the other half was 1/4 one thing and 1/4 the other. Sweets were passed around and I stuck to one try of three things--and they were cut up small. *credit* However, as is my downfall, I did not persist in my victory of the evening and when the hostess pressed into my hands a tin, ust as we were leaving, with a ribbon on it and a tag that read (this is true) Merry Christmas. These cookies have come into contact with nuts. Please eat responsibly I immediately thought "I don't eat responsibly especially if someone tells me I have to" and so, after deciding I was just going to pass the unopened tin off to my studio mates, I opened it, cause I was too curious to see what was in there, and then I tried this one, and one of those and those and then I shared with DH and we ate the whole tin all at once in DEFIANCE of eating responsibly. :p so there.

Last night DH got an invite to go to a co-workers place for NYE. *sigh* I did not want to go. The co-worker is a big drinker and, IMHO, a problem drinker as he just loves alcohol, all kinds and he is so alcohol focused and gets seriously annoyed that I don't drink, much, or DH and then he just says really dumb stuff--like high school level drinking. *sigh* Anyway, we stuck it out and it's over. DH likes him cause he's outrageous. I see him as uncouth and an idiot ruled by alcohol. He's just not endearing to me. Annoying, yes. Even so, I drank a lot for me: 4 or 5 drinks I think. We ate before we left, mostly cause I didn't think we were going then DH was all pouty. Then, cause we were going I was all pouty, then I dropped it. I just thought this is finally the last of this wretched holiday season. So, to sum that up, I ate more than I wanted and drank what I didn't need at all and today was good *credit* and tomorrow is better--except the check engine light came on in the car this afternoon so.... off to the dealer it goes I think. First time for me with owning a car and now the first time with taking it in for a problem.

And that's all tiny stuff compared to my year ahead. I feel it as a year within which I will move mountains. Big birthday at the end of this year and I want big progress going on in my life to match it or I can say right now I won't be happy. My two big (continuing) mountains to conquer are getting my weight down and under 200 by the birthday in November and being rid of ALL the boxes that I moved here with in April 2011, all the while continuing to work toward my art-related personal goals which I still need to set for myself. I need to focus focus focus and plan plan plan. Much to do and the runway, as my BIL says, is getting shorter.

BigchiefDavid I was smiling as I read of your weight gain during the century ride. My sister had a similar exerience during the cancer walk a few years ago. She gained weight doing a marathon. Her stories related to the cancer walk are hilarious--not the norm that's for sure! I am sure you will have a competely different experience this time round. *big credits* for the good weightloss over the holiday season. I'll help you to remember this when you are faced with Mardigras challenges!

gardenerjoy 01-01-2013 11:28 PM

Huffington Post published my piece about New Year's Resolutions (A Librarian's Tips For Keeping Your New Year's Resolution), so much of my day melted into social media promotions to make sure everyone I know (and many I don't know) would make their way over to that article to comment, share, or like. I didn't do all the first day of the year things I would like to do -- a new spreadsheet, a new Advantages list to reflect that I've declared myself in maintenance. But I'm declaring my New Year activities to be relevant at least through Twelfth Night.

WI: +0.6 kgs, Exercise: +85 1400/1400 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

FutureFitChick: sorry for bad news about your Saint Bernard. That's a big presence in your life to be missing. Take care of yourself

BigChiefDavid: So glad that you related to my piece about my meeting my goal weight. Thanks for letting me know!

BillBlueEyes 01-02-2013 04:35 AM

Wednesday - The Eating Season is over!

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I was so happy to give myself credit for skipping all the food at the New Year's Eve party that I missed due to my cold. Then I found that the host had sent DW home with a plate of the best to "make his cold feel better." Ouch! It became lunch and then split with DW for afternoon snack and now is gone. Not a huge calorie load, but a comeuppance from thinking I'd beaten the system, LOL. Yesterday food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including a concert where champagne and chocolates were served at intermission. Despite being FREE, I passed on both, CREDIT moi. It was a lovely feeling that I didn't need food to make a live music event enjoyable.

Walked to gym, CREDIT moi, to do my stationary bike ride. The gym was almost deserted - I guess the New Year's resolutions crowd doesn't show up on the 1st.

onebyone – I've never seen an Eat responsibly label on food. Maybe this is the start of a good thing - if it would be added to tree nuts and trail mix, LOL. Kudos for serving yourself mindfully at your MIL's.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on another Huffington Post publication; I enjoyed reading it. Kudos for the BIG exercise day to make your December goal.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Neat that with all the options, you chose to have tomato slices at work.

Beverlyjoy – Glad the back is recovering from your plumbing work.

FutureFitChick – Sending supportive thoughts as you and your DH tend to your much loved Saint Bernard. It's a challenge to stick to planned writing, planned exercise, and planned eating when the emotions are high.

BigchiefDavid – Congrats on those ten pounds lost over the eating season. Gotta love, "I'm not fearing January 2nd."

nationalparker – Welcome home; Ouch for crusted snow waiting to be shoveled. Kudos for back on track today.

Jenn (Electro) – Congrats on cracking that milestone - with Kudos for "for staying on plan over the season and especially on NYE!" I love it when the scale aligns with on plan behavior.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat
which muscle are you strengthening?

Throughout the pages of The Beck Diet Solution, you'll find that I often refer to two "muscles": your resistance muscle and your giving-in muscle. I'm actually talking about your tendency to think and act in certain ways.

.....Every time you resist eating something you shouldn't, you're strengthening your tendency to resist in the future. However, each time you give in and eat something you shouldn't, you're strengthening your tendency to give in.

.....So whenever you feel the urge to eat something you're not supposed to, think about which muscle you really want to strengthen. If you want to lose weight and keep it off permanently, you need to take every opportunity to strengthen your resistance muscle and to weaken your giving in muscle.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 29.

nationalparker 01-02-2013 08:38 AM

Good morning all! Back to the routine, which, in reflection, I guess isn't that bad for me.

DH and I took our dog out on the trail behind our home yesterday for a snowy/icy three-mile walk. She did more leaping and bounding in the snow up to her chest - fun to watch. We realized we couldn't walk the trail at night, as it is too icy to safely navigate, but at least it's an option still for the weekend days until it thaws out a bit. Talked to him about setting a mileage goal for the two of us to combine for this year - sounded more fun than just for me, but not something to rule us - if we hit the gym and do other things I don't want to feel like I should've gotten on the treadmill :) He seemed ambivalent so I said, no biggie - I'll just set a goalf for myself. Then he was IN.:dizzy: We set it rather high as in the good weather we like to do longer hikes/backpacking. We'll see if we get to 1,500 miles - doubtful but good to strive, right? ;) Credits for getting out there, and for goal-setting for us.

Packed a healthy breakfast and lunch, and have planned out dinner - now will work to plan the rest of the week's dinners ... that's where I had been lax before.

There are piles of leftover holiday goodies (packaged chocolate bars, cookies, etc.) in the kitchens here at work. NO CHOICE.

Better check in when more time! Have a day you can be proud of today!

onebyone 01-02-2013 09:23 AM

rollin' rollin' keep them wagons rollin'

Coaches

I have my WW meeting tomorrow and so I was thrilled to wake up to an empty tummy today. It means I did something right yesterday and if I hold the line ------- I will be on an even keel tomorrow as I face the Official Weigh-in Scale.

This morning's challenge will be my first, ever, visit to the service department of my local car dealer. I found my bill of sale for the chariot and we're insured as high as you can go. So, we'll see what that's really worth. I am bringing my e-reader, my patience, my smile and maybe a big cup of coffee to this event.

Other than that, today I begin to schedule my year. I need to visualize where I want to be this time next year then try to map out the steps to get myself there. This is a year when I need to hold firm to my ideas of what I need to get done.

nationalparker It's fun to set that miles walked goal. One year I was in a challenge where you chose a place you'd like to visit and found out the mileage and then everyday you mapped it on a google map as you virtully walked to it. It was fun to say, oh now I'm on Highway 7, oh now I've passed ____. Here's a link to a thread where they discuss it. I am sure you can find other threadds if you use the google. Where would you be if you did walk 1500 miles from where you live I wonder?? *credit* getting out for that walk yesterday btwhttp://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/t...x9655x26750549

FutureFitChick 01-02-2013 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Firstly, thanks for everyone's support and kind words regarding my pup. Both my husband and I moped and wept all day when she wasn't here. (Trying to get any writing done was fruitless -- I just kept staring at my computer and my mind kept thinking about pup.) After a few more tests the vet wanted to keep her overnight. We went to visit and she had a change of heart and let us bring her home. Care for her has been such a big part of our lives and will continue to be for a few more days. We believe that it is cancer (leukemia or histiocytic sarcoma), but I do not want to subject her to the bone marrow biopsy to confirm. She would be too far advanced at this point to make successful treatment a realistic option. Just in case we are trying a few meds at home, but they are unlikely to really help. I am attaching a picture of her. My 4 year old nephew had shared his blankie with her and tucked her in with his Rafiki. So sweet!

I am not normally a person that does a good job at seeking external support when I am going through something difficult and emotional like this. For some reason I really reached out to people and have been richly rewarded with support. Thank you all! I think because of that, my eating was 100% on plan yesterday. I have had an on plan breakfast this morning and have a plan for today as well.

BeverlyJoy, hope you are 100% soon and feeling all the way better!

BigChiefDave, glad you had a great celebration to kick off 2013. Congratulations on the -10#! Thanks for your thoughts about my pup. It really is strange how much of the sounds in our environment I've always attributed to pets, but they continue even in their absence.

BillBlueEyes, bummer for the system finding a way through your illness fortification. Credit for sharing it over 2 meals with DW. Great job for getting to gym as well!

GardenerJoy, I added that article to my reading pile. Sounds like you have a clean slated new year, which is great!

Lexxiss, congrats on the feeling-good activity! That is a great feeling.

NationalParker, your walk sounds amazing! Great job for working it in to the day rather than cutting it out at dark.

OnebyOne, bummer about the cookies. Non-dieters just don't get that "eat responsibly" concept is not naturally in all of us. My DH got some cookies from my step-mom. When I asked him to "hide them", he put them in the pantry with a bag of peanut puffs on top while I was standing right there. Thanks, DH, that is a real help.