Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good evening, Coaches.

I can say for the first time in a VERY long time I had an OP day complete with eating what I wrote down the previous night. Tough to be without the sugar I have been slowly allowing back into my life. It is not an easy thing to admit I have become addicted to it again. But today is clean. I have written my log for tomorrow. I have planned exercise and am on Day 16 again. Also, Dr. appt and weighing for the new month (gulp)

No matter. I am on a new path.

Nice weekend in SF with DH and Ds. Lion King and the Asian Art Museum. We really are lucky with the incredible experiences we have available to us.

BBE: Glad the leg is on the mend and still providing you with "growth opportunities."
BigChiefDavid and Georblewis: Welcome. I am not the one to give tech advice. BBE will help. I don't think you can get a ticker for a month, though.
Lexxiss: congrats on the courage to weigh in.

Everybody else: Big Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 12-02-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome BigchiefDavid

BigchiefDavid

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including confronting a table of homemade goodies. I planned in advance to have one as my morning snack and I had only a small piece of one - less than planned. Felt good about that since two different chocolate brownies were available. Entertained the Sabotaging Thought that brownies were worth breaking out of plan. Then had the Helpful Response, They're only homemade brownies ... I'll get more shots at these over the coming weeks. Knowing that I was going to weigh myself (by the simple magic of using an estimated tare for my cast) helped me stay the path.

I did get out. Parked at the supermarket in a handicapped space using my newly arrived Temporary Handicapped Placard. My first time ever to use a handicapped parking space. It was helpful since I avoided traveling over the wet blacktop on crutches which is chancy. I'll declare it exercise to limp through a supermarket, so CREDIT moi.

onebyone – So neat that you'll be interviewed as a chance to think about your career and business. Nothing like a camera to help focus the mind. Kudos for cooking from scratch even when that means prepping veggies.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for new 4 pound dumb bells in action. Yep, it's "sloppy behavior" that allows me to grab an extra snack.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for identifying and confronting, "Those old habits slide back in so easily."

maryann - Ouch for sugar - such addictive stuff. Kudos for recognizing your relationship with it and moving forward. I'll put the San Francisco Asian Art Museum on my Bucket List.

BigchiefDavid – We use this Beck thread to report to each other our status - using each other as Diet Coaches/Buddies. We invite you to play that role for us and we'll be here to do that for you.

My recommendation is to start by posting your successes and meanderings each day. Initially, avoid feeling that you have to post personal responses to the rest of us - it takes a while for that to feel right. There are no rules for what you post - just your own take on how you're doing. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

Cognitive Therapy is based on the concept that the way people think affects how they feel and what they do. For example, let's say you have the thought I'm hungry. If you then have "sabotaging thoughts" - such as This is terrible ... I can't stand it ... I have to eat! - you'll feel panicky and grab some food. On the other hand, if you counter your thought with "helpful responses" - But it's all right ... I'm going to eat in a couple more hours ... I can wait - you'll feel in control and get involved in an activity. Cognitive Therapy helps you identify your sabotaging thinking and effectively respond to it, so you feel better and can behave in helpful ways.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pgs 20-21.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

Off to the eye doctor. I'm not sure whether I get dilated or not today, which makes it hard to plan the day -- but I planned my food. Credit!

WI: -0.2kgs, Exercise: +30 80/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, BigChiefDavid!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #20  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

BigchiefDavid! Kudos for taking the suggested step of finding a diet coach and landing here. I look forward to hearing from you as you begin your journey w/BDS.

We traveled yesterday and although food was not "stellar" it was acceptable. I've weighed this morning and need a new battery. The scale is flashing several different weights...all acceptable, though. I had planned a dinner w/enchilada sauce last night but when we stopped at the store and couldn't find any I switched dinner to a open the freezer and pitch in the leftovers meal. A little ground elk, frozen peas, leftover broccoli and a few frozen hashbrowns. I was surprised this morning when looking for smoothie fruit; I had left about a cup of frozen hashbrowns in the bag even though I have a new one waiting. credit. It seems that even in a rush my Beck brain recognized that I didn't need to use it all. I'll go find that sauce today and we'll enjoy our dinner, as previously planned, this evening.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #21  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I can't really recall how I found the Beck Diet, but I do have an affinity for doing things with a much more organic, natural way in my life. The more I create my life to support my goals, the more success I find. I am really tired of "diets" and so I'm sure when I was reading about the books (probably on Amazon), it made a lot of sense to me.

I have health issues I need to address with my diet (type 2 diabetes, PCOS, menopause, food sensitivities), so the eating methods that work best for me are a combination of a Paleolithic diet and a ketogenic macronutrient mix. I've done A LOT of experimentation and reading. This is what works for my body. I've found success with this, even though the rate of weight loss is so much slower than I would prefer.

My challenges currently are to stop overeating at night. I do beautifully all day long, but there's something going on with me between the hours of 5 pm and 10 pm. Really, if I could be done with eating by 5, I'd seriously be losing faster. But after 5, I will eat an extra 500 to 1000 calories. It's all about feeling edgy, bored, tired, overwhelmed. I've not found alternative ways to deal with that effectively. It's my hope to figure that out, because it feels like the last hindrance to my weight loss.

I found 3FC when I was living overseas and needed more support than I could find at home. This has been with me since the start of my weight loss success. I've learned so much from being on the forum. I've lost nearly 70 lbs., cleaned up my diet, become a fitness enthusiast and am currently working towards getting my AFAA certificate to be a personal trainer. People here have been backing me up through divorce, major moves, death of my father, drama with my mother, and finally discovering the real me. Coming here is a great companion to the work I do with my therapist. Life is bumpy and dramatic. Odd that the wise and loving word of strangers helped me the most!

I will be back later today. I have to go to work! I manage a Pilates studio!

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

(I posted this outside of this thread by accident, I thought I was at the 100 pound forum.)

Hi... Gifts of food are so common this time of the year. Let's face it, it's mostly sweets. I don't handle all of that very well. DH loves all the goodies coming in the door & doesn't have a weight problem, He eats like a thin person, however. He can have or two and be satified.

How do you handle/deal with all the food gifts? In the past I've given it to my neighbor who has five boys that will eat everything. I've also thrown it away at a last resort. Better in the trash than me.

Do you have any hints or strategies to suggest.

I'll be back.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

The morning was a fire drill. Poor communication with DH about appts and getting DS to school WITH backpack. I still feel like I am catching up - finishing laundry, responding to email. I had lost three months of my daily meds last night and found them this morning while I was clearing the mail tray. Good Grief. None of the chaos was worth eating over - credit. Food Planned for the day in the iPhone. Dr. appt. and yoga this pm. I feel Geoblewis's "overwhelm" but mine comes in the day. By night, I just go to bed.

One day at a time. Most often God's plan is not emergency action.

Beverleyjoy: My profession is absolutely LOADED with sugar right now. It is everywhere. I usually re-gift as well. I take a small piece and then bring the beautiful package to my next seasonal event. Everybody is happy. Like BBE. I remind myself that this will not be my only chance at brownie, See's Candy, etc. . . .

Thought for the Day: I will gain back all that I have lost if I do not sit down while I am eating.

Last edited by maryann; 12-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #24  
Renaissance Woman

With regards to Christmas goodies, my close circle of friends are supportive of wellness goals and my food insensitivities, so I am don't usually have to deal with that. If there are goodies offered in a group setting, I just skip them. If some make it to my house, my sons are always willing to take care of them for me. I am not adverse to tossing food. It's not a sin!

I was once a dessert caterer, so I'm often invited to partied and asked to bring something fabulous. I'll do that, but sometimes I bring something fabulous that I can eat too. No complaints so far!

I've developed a distance between myself and other people's food issues. I take care of me. They can take care of themselves. I am no longer invested in impressing people with my cooking. Free at last!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Thanks everyone--I'm feeling very welcome! I heard about Dr. Beck from a friend, and it sounds like what I need. I know how I want to eat, but it's internalizing it that's troubling. So, I'm building up to the first day of the diet. Yesterday, I was able to line up a diet coach--a good friend who is excited to help and happens to be a psychologist (very familiar with Beck's work and wants to read the book).

Mindfully ate breakfast and lunch. Credits to me. Later on, I'll be arranging my environment. Until that time...

Last edited by BigchiefDavid; 12-03-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi bigcheifdavid! WELCOME!

I am glad you posted. You'll find the Beck method of learning to live with food makes alot of sense. Folks here are friendly, helpful and wise. Nice to meet you.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-03-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #27  
Renaissance Woman

I had two days of excellent, mindful eating. But tonight I completely overate, and an hourafter dinner, I still feel hungry. Stayed late at work. called for pizza and wings. My son ate the pizza, but I did eat two slices. I KNOW the pizza is bad for my health goals. But I was hungry and tired. I went over my maintenance level by 400 calories.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At a meeting last night with potluck snacks, I ate as if I had a food plan, CREDIT moi. That including not having any of the cranberry sponge cake that appealed. It helped that I planned to eat responsibly in advance - sets the mind up for success. Such an easy step yet I sometimes fail to do it and then struggle when confronted with the food as if I've never seen food before.

Exercise was getting out of the house using a walking stick instead of a crutch. This will be the transition step thru the final week of using crutches per the doctor's orders. Instead of looking like a Charles Dickens cripple, I look like an old man, LOL. CREDIT moi for the little exercise that it was. I heard the tale of a friend who broke her little toe ('pinky') and the orthopedic surgeon did . . . NOTHING. Just sent her away. She spent the winter wearing flip flops, without leggings or hose which put pressure on the toe, until the toe healed itself. That was a painful story to hear.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I hate being in the doctor's office and being told casually, "You can't drive for 24 hours." As if my chauffeur could just apperate.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Big Kudos for avoiding that Sabotaging Thought to just eat the remainder of the bag. When I do that, it makes me feel so in control that it strongly affects the rest of my eating day.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a nearby neighbor with five boys to consume what you choose not to eat. I just hate throwing food away - as if I was starving. DW feels good about feeding it to our worms in the compost bin as if they were pets.

maryann - Kudos indeed for "None of the chaos was worth eating over" - although at the time I'm immersed I feel that food will help find the missing items. (There are some See's candies against which I've found no defense. They aren't sold around here so they only arrive as imports. When I become Czar, that company will be banished.)

Georgia (geoblewis) – Gotta love, "Life is bumpy and dramatic." - ain't it so. Also like being reminded, "The more I create my life to support my goals, the more success I find." It's so obvious to organize our life to help out but so easy for me to skip. Congrats on working toward that personal trainer goal. Ouch for the disorientation that staying late at work can cause.

BigchiefDavid – Kudos for finding a real-life Diet Coach - especially one who already appreciates Cognitive Therapy.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

Cognitive Therapy teaches people how to solve problems, and dieters can have lots of problems. For example, have you ever strayed from a diet for any of the following reasons:
  • You finished all of the food on your plate but didn't feel satisfied.
  • You felt upset and thought that eating would make you feel better.
  • You were too tempted by the sight of food when shopping at the supermarket.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

Sorry to miss posting yesterday's tip. Life been running in fast forward this week. Vacation to DC begins tomorrow afternoon....

Quote:
December 3, 2012 - Monday Motivation
There is a big difference between things that are really hard and things that are impossible. If you feel daunted by the prospect of losing and maintaining weight, remind yourself that it is a matter of learning and practicing (over and over again) necessary skills, not an impossible feat. Telling yourself it’s impossible is an excuse to give up. Telling yourself it’s hard but worth working on is a motivation to keep moving forward.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Default Starting Week Two

Good morning Everyone,

Today, I'm exploring finding more time in my day. At this point, it seems like trying to wring out a rock for a drop of water, but once I'm looking at it, I'll find some time. Yesterday, I ate mindfully (credit), read my cards (credit), journaled (credit) and had a good day.

Thanks, and until that time...
Closed Thread