Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #91  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I read posts in the morning, which I feel is a great help to me. Thx everyone! I've weighed and my lunch is already awaiting me at work.

BBE, I chuckled...speed reading...read, "I'm hoping to feel more noble". Noble or mobile I hope your cast gives you a boost!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/beckies/friends - yesterday was healthy - I am always grateful for that. Goals from yesterday:

eat seated only - all but once
no seconds - all of the time
plan/measure/log - yes
exercises - yes, stretches & strengthening
slow mindful eating - some of the time (I made breakfast last for 20 minutes, yay)
read my advantages of losing weight & response cards, & some Beck book
did my journal work
mindful of salt & drinking water - yes
leave a bite of food on my plate - yes
gave myself credit - not very often
used resistance techniques - a few times

I took my Mom to the doctor and then for xrays. Also she neeeded an antiobiotic for something else. We should get the results later this week.

I am still thinking about my strategy for Thanksgiving weekend. It will be full of many fattening meals. I must think about how to manuver myself through the weekend healthfully. I will concentrate on family - even though I have lots of cooking to do all weekend. I must make sure that there are healthy options for me readily available or it will be to easy to lose all sense of sanity around food.
Another thing to do is - send the leftovers out the door as folks leave during the weekend.

Lexxiss/debbie - Hi.. great that you have your lunch ready today! & thought about the extra yesterday.

billbe - much credit for staying the course despite your injury. Glad you'll get the real cast today.

koala - glad you are on plan... credit! I guess sometimes our program comes in bits and pieces. It will come together better the more you do it. Thanks for the kind thoughts for my mom.

marycontrary - good for you... using your positive thoughts and techniques about late night eating. I struggle with that too. Yes... step right back on track, Dr. Beck always says.

naturegirl - credit for the willingness to dig deep into the Beck stuff. It's so easy to become cavalier about it, really, (at least for me) I love your idea of writing it all down... keeps it real. (for me when I do it, too) Carry on.

Haleyju- yoga, on plan, and three days at the same weight... happy day! Excellent. It's true about the stress.... sometimes when stress happens food is the only thing we CAN control. (I'd like to tatoo this to my brain!)

maryann - I started reading at day one a while back too. Sometimes it's a real boost, I think. Good idea.

gardenerjoy - safe travel to you. Good to plan ahead the best you can.

Have a great day!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Today's Reality check is something we all know. It just helps to be reminded.
Quote:
November 13, 2012 - Tuesday Reality Check
People usually start dieting when they're highly motivated and so sticking to their plans is fairly easy. However, this initial motivation (which we call the “Honeymoon Stage”) always wears off and then dieting gets harder. This is 100% normal, it happens to everyone, and as long as you keep doing what you’re doing, dieting WILL get easier again.
Beverlyjoy-- you are right we do all need to be thinking about our Thanksgiving plan. I am thankful that I am not having to do all the cooking for 15 and that we won't be serving at my house. My contribution is the green vegetable dishes and some mac and cheese for the little kids. That means what comes home with us will at least be healthy. This is the first time in many years that I havent had to do both the majority of the food and host the meal.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Two things to talk about/think about:
1) I had a healthy delicious lunch all planned and packed - why did I suddenly decide to get school lunch tacos instead? Turned out to be pretty much on plan, and I had a big pile of romaine and red cabbage (yum) but why not just stick with my plan and my lunch bag? The only thing I can think is my classroom was 61degrees all day and the tacos sounded warm. Not sure why I didn't step back after the original spur of the moment decision and enjoy my superfood salad.
2) How can you make No-Bake Cookies with a room full of 5 year olds and not get involved in eating them? I did the the old trick of "I only ate the crumbs, the pieces that fell off" until I headed home and took a big one with me.
Beverlyjoy and HaleyJu; You are setting yourself up for success by thinking about a plan for Thanksgiving weekend! Good idea. I'm not sure where we will be for the day - it will be quiet; just two couples. Problem is, although both me and my friend are working hard to eat healthy, both hubbies think that Thanksgiving is not complete without the entire menu, including multiple pies.
BillBE:Good luck with the newer, more high tech cast. Thank goodness you are so on track with your maintenance plan; otherwise this would be a potential slippery slope of eating for "healing", etc.
Kaola:Two days in a row is the beginning of a great track record - each day you can build doubles or triples your resistance muscle.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Default Checking in -- Tuesday.

I didn't get to have a healthy dinner -- had to settle for frozen pizza, thin crust, no meat, and rather low sodium for those sorts of things. But haven't been munching this evening. ALSO, big credit, I just did about 30 minutes of upper body strength training. I figure that my previous full-blown cardio isn't working on my long days in LA, but I can do something. I did something.

All day I tried not to think negatively when I looked in the mirror. All day tried to feel like I do have control and that the weight gain is not hopeless. At least, this time around, I'm seeing it happen and recognizing why. I'm actually looking at it and thinking about it. That seems to be a positive.

In other excellent news, I was able to turn down adjunct work in LA for next semester, because I got another class at the university right down the street from me. This means that the 3-4 hours I spend commuting twice a week can now be devoted to much-needed self-care. Yay!

Sorry, no time for personals. But thanks, all, for the encouraging words. I read all of your successes and learn so much from them.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #96  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Wearing a neat fiberglass cast - all black, mind you. I could choose bright orange, pink, lavender, lime green, blue, or black. White wasn't mentioned. I was drawn to the orange, but settled for black for the formal wedding I'm attending after Thanksgiving. Exercise was getting myself to the doctor's office and the several trips up and down the stairs. The good news: I'm to put some weight on the leg now because the pressure helps signal the bone to regrow. This makes life sooooo much easier than the absolutely no weight directive from the Emergency Room.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. It might get more difficult as the stairs have become easier. I'll run an errand today to see if I can drive, park, and get in and out of the car on my own. Kinda excited. (I don't know if a temporary Handicapped Parking tag is possible for a broken leg.)

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at hoping to feel more noble. Well . . . maybe.

Nature Girl – I hate how easily I fall for "I only ate the crumbs" - what a crock, yet I do it all the time. Ouch for unnecessary tacos, buy Yea for the romaine and red cabbage.

Beverlyjoy – Good plan, "healthy options for me readily available."

Mary (MaryContrary) – Congrats on that new gig at the local university. Neat that you are already planning how to use the hours saved commuting.

HaleyJu - Yay for not having to host Thanksgiving with Double Yay for not having the left over stuffing to deal with.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

You can do all this once you learn how to continually follow a diet. The Beck Diet Solution teaches you how to avoid cheating; how to resist tempting food, even if it's on the table right in front of you; and how to copy with hunger, cravings, stress, and strong negative emotions without turning to food for comfort. You'll also learn how to motivate yourself to exercise, even if you're not naturally inclined to do so. You'll discover how to do all the things you need to do to diet successfully - by changing the way you think.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 17.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I did all the wrong things yesterday. I don't know why I do it, sometimes I just opt out of being on plan. Went through a drive through in the morning, and had pasta for dinner. I'll give myself credit for having a carb-free lunch though.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #98  

Hi coaches/becksters/friends - yesterday was kind of a crazy day.

We had some cleaning folks in to do our house. (A wonderful Christmas gift from my mom.) They cleaned just about every surface in our house. I am so grateful! They were here all afternoon. I really couldn't get into the kitchen to make more than almond butter toast for lunch.

By dinner time I was actually feeling some hunger. DH decided he wanted a pizza. (no sense in messing up the ultra clean kitchen he said.) I ate my planned salad. It was a wonderful salad - lettuce, chicken, cheese, raisins, homemade crutons, evvo & vinegar. But, it wasn't pizza. I even got through dinner without a bite of pizza. However, I felt so 'deprived' that later on I ate an extra 500 calories or so. That number isn't the end of the world. It's that horrible feeling that I was deprived of pizza - even though it was pepperoni and I don't like that kind of pizza very much. My extra eating was totally a 'rebound' eating spree. I need to learn that just because DH is eating something it doesn't mean that I get to eat whatever he eats. I know.. not fair - oh well. I even went through all the resistance techniques, but, had no willingness. This is so hard for me. I struggle with not being able to eat what other folks eat.

Like I said above, 500 calories isn't the end of the world in extra food. However, it felt so bingey. That's not good. Today is a new day and I will make a new foodplan.

Today I got to change my ticker today.

Last Tuesday
11/4 - 225 pounds - after at least a week of being way off plan. (offline too with no computer) I felt horrible. My fingers were swollen, etc. I got back on my plan.
The next day - Wednesday 11/5 - I weighed 221. (down 4 overnight) I am certain it was water that my body let go of. I felt better. I feel as though I was carrying a dangerous amount of extra water in my body.
Last Friday 11/7 - I weighed 218 (back to my ticker weight) - this is what I weighed about two or three weeks ago.
- Today I weigh 216. So that's 9 pounds since last Tuesday. I am grateful. I am absolutely certain that the biggest portion of this is water. I am glad to be rid of the water and weight for sure. I feel better. I could feel the 'heaviness' of the water in my body. I am happy, however to see 216 again & I get to change my ticker.

Have a great day. I"ll be back later for personals.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-14-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #99  

Boy does this one speak to me!!
Quote:
November 14, 2012 - Wednesday Sabotage
Sabotaging Thought: I’m worried I won’t be able to control my weight during the upcoming holiday season.

Response: While it is certainly harder to stay in control during the holidays, it’s by no means impossible. I am ultimately in charge of every bite of food I put in my mouth, which means I am ultimately in charge of whether I gain weight, lose weight, or stay the same.
I am ultimately in charge of every bite of food I put in my mouth

Think, repeat, think, repeat, think, repeat................ maybe it will sink in.

This morning I did see a .5 decrease on the scale. I keep my food diary records on Fitday. It has a nice option where you can see how you are progressing relative to a grapg they have drawn. I am right on schedule. If I can make it through the holidays and my upcoming trip by remembering that I am ultimately in charge of every bite of food I put in my mouth and making sure that I don't sabatoge myself, I will determine it to be a huge success.

Beverlyjoy--Incredible loss for a week. Whatever you are doing, keep it up.

Wannabeskinny -- step back into plan today. Stepping off one day is not nearly as bad as staying off and not returning.

BillBlueEyes -- Glad you got a classy black cast -- even better that you can let the leg touch down some.

MaryContrary -- Yea to a close by class instead of a commute. What do you teach?

Nature Girl -- I agree that a cold room sets a tone for what you want to eat. Cold salad is not nearly as appetizing when you are shivering. My room is like that almost every day. Why can't schools get the temperatures better regulated??
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #100  

Hi back for personals.

haleyju - your Beck tip is so timely as I am trying to plan to keep Thanksgiving from derailing my efforts. Thanks. I am making a response card that says: I am ultimately in charge of every bite of food I put in my mouth

naturegirl - yes a HUGE challenge with those nobake cookies... yikes. Good, no harm done with the tacos.

haleyju[/B] ah yes.... I know the honeymoon phase of a diet well.

wannabeskinny [/B]- Dr. Beck always say to get right back on your plan and move forward.

billbe - seems like you are moving into the next 'phase' of your broken leg. Glad you will be able to put a bit of weight on it. Credit for staying OP. I do think you can get an temp. handicap hang tag. You probably need to an RX from your doctor and fill out a form. Check it out. It can be helpful.

marycontrary - yes, make sure you give yourself credit for everything you deserve it for. I am glad you will not have that compute and have less time commuting! Try not to look in the mirror negatively. 40 pounds down is such a wonderful accomplishment. Tell yourself what you would tell a good friend in this situation.

Everyone, take care now,

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #101  

Just changed my avatar in the profile........... came out a bit larger and bolder than I intended. I may need to resize it. Judy Jetson has been my alternate self on boards for a long time. I figured it was time for the real me to come out here, too.

Ahhh, that's better. Might decide to reduce myself again............. pun intended

Last edited by HaleyJu; 11-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Got home before dark, it wasn't raining, and I'd worn supportive shoes today so I was able to go for a walk on the beach. So refreshing and renewing and wow- it's actually exercise! I'm thinking that my weekday workouts may need to be either strength sessions I can do in my living room or spontaneous walks on days when conditions converge, like today. Weekends I can get back to 'racking up the miles and minutes' for aerobic work outs. Week days I simply need to be alert to those late afternoons when I can get moving, even if for only 20 minutes. I have plenty of upper body, and core especially work I can do in the dark in my home with the weights and equipment I have.
Ate OP today 85%: ate what I wrote down, but let myself get involved in the celebratory cake this afternoon and a supposedly healthy homemade breakfast cookie this morning. Healthy is fine, if it really was--the problem is the extra ??? calories.

HaleyJu-" I am ultimately in charge of everything I put into my mouth"--can you just tatoo that on my wrist so I see it every time I raise my hand to my lips? Absolutely the truth!!
Beverlyjoy--Your struggle with DH's pizza is such a reminder of how food is a mind game, not just a straight foward fueling situation. I'm sure the thought you are putting into this now will help you next time you encounter this.
billbe--Aw, shucks, ya should have just put a black sock on it for the wedding...the orange would have been so much more fun! And gotten you much more sympathy, I'm sure!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Diet Coaches/Buddies – The excursion on my own on an errand in the car worked well. It was a challenge parking across the street about a block away – a space I’d usually brag about for being close. A canvas shoulder strap briefcase did well for carrying. A friend later suggested that a carpenter’s tool belt is just what I need.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. I resisted the call for DW’s trail mix that came from a bevy of Sabotaging Thoughts just like the ones in the quote today.

Nature Girl – "healthy homemade breakfast cookie" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron there. I envy your beach walks.

Beverlyjoy – Congrats for the big ticker change. I love raisins in a salad - and dried cranberries even more.

HaleyJu - Yay for "right on schedule." Sound right to me, "Think, repeat, think, repeat, think, repeat." Your new avatar certainly livens things up around here.

Wannabeskinny – Yep, Kudos for giving yourself credit for the strategies that worked.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

Most dieters who end up in my office have been on and off diets for years. They all have one thing in common: They don't know how to think like a think person. People who struggle with weight loss have a mindset that sabotages their efforts. For example, they often have such thoughts as:
  • I know I shouldn't eat this, but I don't care.
  • It's okay if I eat [this food] just this one time.
  • I've has such a hard day. I deserve to eat this.
  • I can't resist this food.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 18.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #104  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I weighed yesterday before traveling and wrote it down....observed a week's worth of numbers up and down a bit but maintaining, yet up from ticker. Food yesterday was OP until after dinner snackies. Ouch. I exercised at the pool and took time to get on my bike for a spontaneous ride to the mall. All in all a pretty decent day. credit.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #105  

Hi Coaches- I had a healthy day yesterday. I am grateful. Credits for writing it all down, lots of water, leaving a bite always and staying on plan.

I kind of have myself in a tizzy about Thanksgiving weekend. We will have seven people from our family here. I know my SIL is bringing four pies. DH and SIL have decided to go down Memory Lane getting some of the restaurant food of their childhood. We have lots of family gatherings here, at our BIL's, our neighbors, etc. It hard to explain, but, sometimes I feel kind of 'frantic' when I am around lots of food I can't have, of I don't know what will be available or haven't planned for. It would be easy to say 'who cares' for the long weekend. I don't really want to do this.

I am very excited to see my family - it's just the food that I find hard to face.

I guess... 'tis the season' is beginning.

Some ideas are:
-I plan to have healthy foods available too - so I CAN make better choices. I don't want to feel deprived for the four days. (I really can't 'keep my environment free of tempting food)
- as Dr. Beck suggests allow several hundred extra calories for each day, if necessary - like I was on vacation.
- I am in charge of the food that goes into my mouth.
- Not fair - oh well.
- Tatoo 'moderation' to my brain.
- Eat to live... don't live to eat. Food is just nourishment. (does anyone really think that.???)
- Enjoy family more than food- including my two grandkids.
- Willingness to use my resistance techniques. (the D's - Distance myself, Drink Water, Distractions, Deep Breathing, Don't drive for food, Don't be a baby.)
- Call a 'food friend'.

What else?

I see the dietician again next Tuesday.

It's sad to say that the few times over the years that I ate in moderation and healthfully at Thanksgiving - well, I had the 'rebound effect' of bingeing the next Monday and Tuesday. *sigh* I will try again and hope for the willingness to do what it takes to get through it all and after.

If people say anything about my not eating alot, I will tell them the truth... I have high triglycerides and I must get them down. Somehow saying that is more 'acceptable' for them to hear than I am trying to control my eating/weight.

I would once like to get through a sane food Thanksgiving weekend and not binge the next week either.

Any of you have a gang in for the weekend, too?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-15-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Closed Thread