Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - World Vegetarian Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - September ended with a rainy day. That was good for the garden but almost damped outdoor grilling with guests. Miraculously, the rain paused while we did the veggies and salmon then started up again. Felt like we live a charmed life.

Eating was only OK, CREDIT moi, because I encountered a bowl of roasted almonds covered in chocolate dust. Pure evil. I could have eaten the whole bowl - it was just the right combo to suck me in. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. I did better at dinner since it's hard to eat wrong when the table only offers veggies, salmon, and salad. Yay for simple dining.

onebyone – Hope Looloo's trip to the vet resolved her problems - sounds like a scary experience. This "still getting older" always lurks in the background to rise up as a tease when we're having other feelings. I get that whenever I'm feeling that I should have done something by now to make the feeling worse. Kudos for cooking from scratch as a way to take finite steps to go forward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Oh Yes, Kudos for being aware of what isn't working and then planning a response.

maryann - Happy 25th. May you have 25 more and 25 more after that.

spanky - Yay for day 3: Eat Sitting Down. Kudos for an on plan day.

Jaye (Midnightsun68) - Sorry that you missed the social aspects of your board meeting, but Kudos for saving the effort of avoiding the dessert auction. I am so not ready for 29 degrees Fahrenheit.

HaleyJu - So you'll get the entire World Series to practice eating on plan at the ball park. Ouch for the disappointment of missing a game and granddaughters both. Kudos for combining lunch and dinner to keep the calories under control.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

You've made it to Stage 5! My guess is that your mindset about food and dieting are completely different from before you started the Beck Diet for Life Program. You no longer fear hunger, cravings, or challenging eating situations: restaurants, buffets, social gatherings, and much more. You know how to get yourself to do things you don't necessarily feel like doing because you know it's worth it. And you have also transitioned to an eating plan that you can comfortably follow for life because it allows you to create your own healthy recipes and meals and to make modifications as needed.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 186.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Hello

I hope it’s OK to jump in and join the Beck support group.

I’ve been reading the flouro pink book and working through the workbook, and have arrived at the step about finding a coach … so here I am! I’ve also been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks while I get my head around yet another re-start of this weightloss odyssey of mine – it’s been such a long and winding road it’s gone waaaay beyond a journey!!

I’m finding some of the stages quite challenging – in particular eating mindfully. I hadn’t really thought about it before, but I eat very fast and almost furtively – my mind game seems to be if I don’t notice what I’m eating, the scale won’t notice also  Clearly a winning strategy that has worked so well in the past … not!! It’s time for a new approach – if I do what I’ve always done, I’ll get what I’ve always gotten.

I’m trying to eat low GI – I’ve tried this kind of eating style before and set free about 14 kilos (about 30lbs) but those kilos found me again when I had a long long fall off the wagon. A work friend and I have agreed to go for a walk around the lake during our lunch break at least 4 times per week – I have highly developed avoidance skills when it comes to exercise, so it’s a major credit that I have made this commitment.

For the first two weeks of not actually following a diet, I’m trying to practice good habits – making a salad for my lunch, declining the delights on offer at the many work morning teas, and making a nutritious dinner. So far so good, but I’m a notorious night snacker, and I know the going will get tough when I try to break this habit when the diet starts in earnest.

Looking forward to learning from all of you, and hope that I might be able to offer some insights along the way also.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

The final family visitor left this morning. I got through these two weeks with few uncontrollable food indisgressions, and the few I had were not too bad. I'd rate it a "B", especially since we ate out lots and I didn't get to pick a restaurant but once.

I'm back on the proverbial boat and am hoping that I can return to a more structured Beckian lifestyle. I weighed this morning...up from ticker but in my acceptable maintenance range.

Koala, welcome! Glad you are joining us. BDS really helps me stay focused for the "long haul" and I have not gone over the 10# gain since starting. Prior to starting, I had gained 30# in a Winter.

Gotta run! Work calls!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

I really did manage the most important things I intended to do -- not everything I wanted, but the ones that worried me most. So yay!

For two days in a row, I've indulged in a treat that didn't turn out to be good. And I ate it anyway because I wanted the treat that badly. Sigh. Going to quit that now. If it's not good, it doesn't make sense to take the calorie hit no matter how much I want a treat.

I did 75 minutes of yoga late last night to meet my September goal. Now, that actually helped.

Even with a bizarre end to the month, I got to change my profile number down two pounds! Woohoo! Part of the bizarre end of the month has been that I'm eating oddly, but I'm not eating that much. I know it's not sustainable -- odd eating will lead to overeating. But, credit, for having structures in place that means there's always salad in my life, even on the most bizarre days.

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise: +75 1400/1400 minutes for September, Food: NA % op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, Koala! You're off to a terrific start!

Sending healing vibes to Looloo for onebyone!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

No disappointment on the scales this morning....... down 2 for the week. I'm one happy girl. Thanks for helping me keep it up. Good coaches are definitely a good thing. It was nice to change the profile, but I'll be glad when my restricted time is up and I can add a ticker signature, too. I like having the visual.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #7  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

October. We watched the full moon rise over the lake this weekend. Enjoyed our very first episode of Game of Thrones [DH and I are both reading it]. A good weekend.

Weighed in officially on Sunday morning.

Today I'm still on plan... On Friday the Dr.'s office called to tell me about my lab results: I can now consider myself to be a "Pre-Diabetic"... Now if that is not incentive to stay on plan, I don't know what is. My husband, who is a full diabetic, is on hand to coach my return to lower carb eating and that helps. I added that to one of my Top Ten "Advantages to Losing Weight" card.

I made myself a little graph [I'm a lab rat and we love graphs...] and losing 1 pound a week until the end of the year puts me at maintenance weight before the New Year. Another incentive.

Today reviewing Step Four and giving myself CREDIT for that!

Best wishes to all in our Beck Treck!

spanks
Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #8  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches!

My little netbook has lost its mouse..so I will post just a tiny bit--all negotiated old skool with the tab and the up and down and back and enter keys! Yikes.

Looloo is on the mend. i think we found a good vet to look after Looloo. We dd get sent home with liquid antibiotics and a syringe (no needle-just a tube) to get the medicine into her mouth. Thankfully there are no teeth in there an they clipped all of ehr claws yesterday so it was waaaaaayyyyyy easier than we anticipated this morning. 2x a day for 14days. they took blood and urine and we'll see what's happening in her tiny body. I'm just chilling out today. I have shirked all my duties but one and care not a fig that I have.

Food is better=less, within mealtimes, 80% sitting down. I weighed in at 252.2 (-3.7lbs) from yesterday. I was puffy. *credit* for caring/trying/doing again.

Ok going to try to post this now. Hopefully I can restore my mouse!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Am ok here, though tired from my fun weekend in London. Saw David Sedaris and a wonderful pre-Raphelite exhibit. Food was ok, and only slightly more cals than I planned for (no Internet to check). Actually ordered salad and calamari with zucchini for dinner without realising I ordered no carbs in an Italian restaurant! Credit to me there!

Have stopped my BP medication, on doctors suggestion, for a trial, as weight loss has brought BP down. There endeth my daily dose of diuretic, with consequence of 1 lb gain, but I think I can adjust to that.

Back on more reasonable eating today and lunch packed for tomorrow.
Credit.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Back again for the end of day report:
Eating monitored/OP- check
Yoga class-check
Weighed this morning-��
Eat sitting down- prob 90%.
Got lots done at work, but have a pile of papers that need to be marked. I gave myself permission NOT to do them. I need some time for myself and grading at 9:00 is not being good to me. That will be tomorrow's major project.

Glad to see everyone more optimistic and positive today. Hope the week continues that way for everyone.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Beckians,

I'd like to come back to the group for more coaching. This summer I left for an experiment with the website "Lose It'. It helped me lose 9 pounds, and I had fun working along with some friends. But I kept coming back to the need to follow Beck skills.

Hi old friends, and hello new folks.

Today I counted calories correctly, used my elliptical for 45 minutes, and made a nice little dinner for myself. I try to be very conscious of my meal times - giving myself a paper napkin and sitting down to enjoy whatever I'm having.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Koala

Koala

And just in case you didn't get this two and a half years ago,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was just OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner with friends happened for too long over a table of finger foods that continued to arrive. I failed to serve myself one plate - Ouch.

It felt good walking to gym in the cool weather, CREDIT moi. I just read that the number of repetitions I'm doing is appropriate to build muscle in a twenty-something guy, but more reps are needed as muscles age. Apparently they're hard of hearing and don't get the message to grow unless the resistance exercise is repeated. Think I'll change up a bit to see if the number of reps is why I don't yet look like Atlas.

onebyone – Oh Yes, Kudos for "caring/trying/doing." Glad that Looloo is on the mend - fourteen days is countable time. Perhaps Looloo can find your lost mouse.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on those two pounds down. Kudos for giving yourself a "Yay" despite "not everything I wanted" - appreciate the demo that the all-or-nothing mentality isn't necessary.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – A "B" is pretty good when surrounded by guests who are relatives, no less. Glad you're back on the "proverbial boat."

Woodland - Yep, those Beck skills seem to be the secret to staying the path. It's good to have you back as a Coach/Buddy with fresh insights from your journey. Kudos for making your meal special.

spanky - Yay for graphs - this Engineer can absorb much more info from a graph than any other format. Ouch for the "Pre-Diabetic" status with Kudos for taking it as motivation to stay the path. Glad that Game of Thrones didn't disappoint.

TeachMe - Monster Kudos for your achievement, "as weight loss has brought BP down." Sounds like you made good use of your London tour.

HaleyJu - Congrats on those two pounds gone forever. You've only got four days and four posts until you're eligible for a signature. And Kudos for making a decision about marking those papers instead of mindlessly trudging along.

Koala - You are absolutely welcome to jump right in. Do I ever recognize, "I’m finding some of the stages quite challenging – in particular eating mindfully" - it's so easy to fall back into the old habits of just stuffing it down.

Sounds smart to begin working toward your eating plan starting with your fresh salads and your walk around the lake. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

What else do you need to guarantee long-term success? A lifetime motivation plan. If you are like most dieters, you may find it difficult to believe that your motivation could ever flag - but at some point it will, even if you practice all of your skills consistently. It's just human nature to be accustomed to the status quo.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 186.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for not eating anything at DH's uncle's visitation since we already ate supper. I sat down with family and watched them ate while I drank a bottle of water. I met the uncle, who died in his 80s after a deterioration from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, maybe four times, so this was not a particularly personal loss. Attending the funeral felt like a kind of stand-in for the two funerals I would have gone to last month if I hadn't been so far away.

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise: +25 25/1600 minutes for October, Food: NA % op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

TeachMe: getting off blood pressure medicine was the happiest day of my weight loss journey. I celebrated that even more than reaching my goal weight!

Welcome back, Woodland! It's great to see you here.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Hello Beck Trekkers (I like that description, spanky!, being the traveller I am – I’m not a Star Trekker )

Thank you for your welcomes – it’s nice to be here. How did I find you? Well, I have been freewheeling dietwise for the best part of a year and have managed to regain ALL the kilos that took me so much blood, sweat and tears to shed – not happy, Jan . I was lurking through the various support groups on the 3FC site to see if there was something that might click the switch in my brain and encourage me to once again take up the cudgel in the never ending battle of watching my weight. The Beck strategy appeals because it describes principles which recognise that one needs to change behaviours, but also gives strategies to deal with real life situations.

Today has been pretty good – on plan breakfast and lunch, mostly on plan dinner. Mindful eating breakfast and dinner. Evening munchies have been a bit more in control, but still happened. Credit x 2 ½! My walking buddy has a week’s leave this week and I stayed shackled to my desk through the lunch break ... So, no exercise and no mindful eating at lunch – need a new plan for tomorrow.

Lexxiss – great effort on not straying too far from the straight and narrow at such a social time. It’s great to know that the skills learned through Beck really do work long term.

Gardenerjoy – woo-hoo on minus 2lb! And for salad

HaleyJu – woo-hoo on your minus 2 also!

Spanky – full moon over the lake sounds gorgeous! You have a good range of incentives to keep you on track.

Onebyone – sorry to hear your furbaby is not well. Credit to you for persevering with Beck, even though you have a lot on your mind.

TeachMe – oh, a fun weekend in London – blissful memories! How fantastic that you can trial ceasing the BP medication – that’s one of my goals, good to know it’s achievable.

Woodland – welcome back, sounds like you are off to a great start. That’s a nice idea, to make your meals an “occasion” with pretty serviettes/napkins.

BillBlueEyes – sharing finger food s when out with friends is a pretty tough situation to try and stop the food party! I didn’t know that more reps are needed as muscles age – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again “getting old is not for the faint-hearted”. Good luck with your Atlas aspiration!
Closed Thread