Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I was back to work yesterday beginning my new job as peer teaching coach. First time out of the classroom in 22 years. Lots and lots to do plus I have my next packet for my MFA to complete. Well, at least the blues have been replaced by manic energy!

Credit: OP for 14 days - truly amazing. Weigh in 1 pound below ticker. Credit Yoga tonite.

Started catching up with everyone's post. Always good to hear the victories won in this ongoing battle.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone,

Well now on Day 2 of the re-start program, who knew Day 1 would take me 7 days! Read my ARC, set up reminders in my work calendar to read them (on a recurring basis until Oct 31), picked my 2 diet plans: Wheat Belly and calorie counting and made another Advantage card that is tucked under my computer keyboard for easy access.

Weighed, still the same, guess that Chinese food is going to take a couple of days to disappear. Exercise last night was trying to keep the dog entertained enough to stop barking at everything and finishing the painting of the wood for the bench. Tonight I hope to power wash the wrought iron sections before I start to repaint them.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #78  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation desire

Coaches

The desire to declutter my home and move ahead with the moving boxes and whatever lurks within them has, unexpectedly, returned. *credit* to unseen forces. I am about to see if the vanity that is covered in boxes and surrounded by boxes and clutter will fit into the bedroom closet if I clean out the closet.

You can see all the steps involved here I am sure.

I don't know *why* this seems do-able today and not other days. I suspect it has something to do with seeing a 250.0lbs on the wii fit scale this morning (*credit for weighing in). I am now just 0.1lbs away from being UNDER 250, which is my next goal. Success, success, success. NOTHING motivates me more than being successful...or even thisclosetobeingsuccessful.

My food is not being tracked closely this week. But I am eating what DH eats, and sticking to my own guidelines very closely, and this just shows me that his diabetic food choices are sound.

Yay DH.

DH sees the family Dr. tonight who he hopes to shock with his detailed charts of blood sugar readings, dates, and times, all in a neat easy to read chart. DH is a natural statistician and in these circumstances it serves him well.

Anyway, off to tackle the closet.
Back later.

UPDATE: cleared out the closet and the vanity fit into it. I need to shove the vanity mirror in there on another day as well. Made a real mess moving the stuff that surrounded the vanity. DH has agreed to make a better organized pile of boxes than what I started to do. I don't d that kind of stuff very well. We left it undone as we were off to see the family Dr for Dh who commended him on his effrts so far adn was very very impressed with his efforts as he should be. On DH's side, the Dr.also passed the intelligence tests he set up for the Dr. to pass. All in all, a good day. *CREDIT*

Last edited by onebyone; 08-08-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #79  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Coaches,

Quick check in as I am off to work in a few minutes.
Today has been OP, and I think it will remain that way as I have a packed dinner and snacks and have included those in my plan. I am planning to start reading through my beck pink book again as so many others are doing. Thanks for talking about it.
I saw a woman I haven't seen at work yesterday and she has lost so much weight when I asked her how she did it, she said diabetes happened to me and I had to change how I eat. She looks amazing. She mentioned she didn't really care about her weight until there was a health issue attached to it.
Onebyone awesome seeing 250 on the WiiFit and for the passion to de-clutter today.

Hello to everyone, I will try to post personals after work tonight, if i have time.

Have a great afternoon.
Ann
Old 08-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... Yesterday was a healthy day... I am so grateful. I did complete many of my goals: planned/measured/logged food, always left a bite on the plate, wrote in my journal, did a meditation, watched my salt intake, said 'no choice' when I wanted to eat extra unplanned food (one time), and did some gentle stretches & strengthening exercises. Grateful for the willingness.

Wednesday is my 'official' write down my weight day. I am down 2 pounds from last Wednesday. I am particularly grateful for that number as I was out of town over the weekend. The past week I have made myself 'green' smoothies. One at breakfast and one as an afternoon snack. I am getting in lots of veggies and fruits - I especially can get 'lazy' about eating enough vegetables.

I am 'resting' my sore ankle for the next few days. Sometimes a person just has to be still.

gardenjoy - YES, progress is good, indeed.

billbe - Another chapter of Adventures of a Lost Wallet continues. So nice to get those fresh tomatoes. We've had some sweet banana peppers from ours.. no 'maters yet. Credit for another on plan day.

lexxiss - hop right back on your plan - you'll be fine. All your planning will help. Safe travel.

marycontray - phooey on car problems. Many credits, indeed. Hooray for rainbows.

spanky - I am laughing at your running around telling folks about your tasty snack and forgetting to sit down. It all comes together in time. Many credits. Carry on.

soonfit - major credit for avoiding those cheese fries.

naturegirl - happy dance for your weight loss! Credit for your bike ride and taking time for your Beckisms and planning.

newlifestyle - credit for packing your meals! It's certainly true... that some folks don't address their weight unless there's some kind of health emergency.

maryann - good luck with your new position. Fourteen days OP deserves a happy dance for sure... well done and carry on.

tazzy - I laughed when you said your first day back on Beck took seven days... I can relate. It takes what it takes.

onebyone - hooray for getting under 250! It's great that DH's diabetic food plan meshes with yours.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-08-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Today is just basic, not as fun as yesterday, so far. Getting a lot of tedious tasks out of the way, including 5 more job applications--I should start to get results really quick now because we're just weeks out before the kids are there.
OP dinner, pleasantly full so didn't have an evening snack. Same with breakfast/lunch; too busy sitting at computer to grab am snack. Ready for afternoon snack now.
Bike ride/hike is postponed until evening because although the temp is much better today (80s not 101), wind is high and I was busy with housecleaning work out this morning: all my daughters will be home this weekend so had to get the upstairs ready. I'm SO excited! Haven't had the three of them in the same room since the middle one got married last summer. SO excited! (Did I mention how exciting this is?!)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 145/144/115

Height: 5'3

(Sigh.)

The first time I listened to Beck's Solution, I thought for certain I was on the wagon for good. But years later, I'm a yo-yo dieting hot mess.

I've made attempts to revisit Beck, one of them here. But I just haven't been able to make it stick.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by Nelia; 08-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Three times I walked (CREDIT moi) to attempt to return the wallet, and failed. I'm so happy. I don't have to get a life; This is my new thing. One attempt was a minor reroute of a planned trip to the library, so doesn't get a full credit. I saw a Northern Flicker along the way - a colorful woodpecker to make my day. Did gym, CREDIT moi, with bodies of London Olympians dancing in my head as if I'm headed to that kind of six-pack.

Lunch was one luscious 'mater sammish with real mayonnaise on a whole wheat sandwich thin and fresh Basil from the garden - on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner included tomato salad and cucumber salad. Garden of Eden time.

onebyone – Holding my breath as you stand on that 250 boundary. Glad that your family doctor passed his intelligence test.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "for trying something new on a Tuesday."

Nature Girl – Kudos for raising three daughters who want to get together in the same room as adults. It's one of the great joys of my life that my two adult children like each other. It doesn't happen in all families.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for that "'no choice' when I wanted to eat extra unplanned food."

maryann - Yep, Kudos for 14 days On Plan. Acknowledging the bittersweet of your first year out of the classroom.

Tazzy - LOL at the thought of entertaining Dexter while painting - lots of opportunities for I-Love-Lucy disaster there. Congrats for completing Day 1 of the Beck plan.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Kudos for "packed dinner and snacks and have included those in my plan" - easier to be on plan when it's in the bag. Great to have a friend who's been successful at losing her weight.

Nelia – It's so easy to feel like we've reached a plateau on which to sit and then find out that it's not level. Kudos for coming back here to find the way back to your path. My recommendation is to start again with Day 1 as if you were new with new Advantages Response Card and everything - presumably life has changed and so will your ARC. Three current posters are starting the Pink Book right now so you'll have good company.

Does your life still include crazy busy and flying back and forth?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Experiments to Vary the Think Thin Eating Plan

Discover How Marketers Try to Get You to Buy

The Food industry spends $36 Billion annually in an effort to get you to buy specific products. Packaging frequently contains misleading phrases that many consumer advocates call "nutri-washing." These nutri-washing phrases make many relatively unhealthful foods seem healthful. These phrases include:

o "Made with whole grain." If the majority of the ingredients listed on the label are sugar, corn oil, cornstarch, corn syrup, dextrose, dyes, and artificial colors and flavors, then the few whole grains contained in the product can do little to make this product a healthful choice.

. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 171.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #84  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking whoop. whoop. whoop.

COACHES!

*credit* I weighed in this morning and saw a 248.5 on the scale!!!

Oh Happy Day. finally.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAY.

In thinking about weight goals the loosest markers I have are 150-200-250-300. I was a few pounds away from 300 last year, and a few times at that as well. I never touched it that I know.
250, well I've been fighting and staying in the 250-260 since April. Finally I am officially below that marker. On to 200.
Haven't been there in 9 years. And when I did get there and below it, I held that mark for a few months as I whizzed back up to 240-250.
150 and less, well I can hold up 2 fingers and tell you I have been under that number twice in my adult life that I recall. Actually, once in my adult life, once as a teen. I soooooooooooo look forward to saying when I am old and grey-er "And I spent the last half of my life in the best shape I have ever been in. It's never too late-look at me." To turn a life around 180degrees. I am looking forward to that. A step at a time. A challenge at a time. Now that everyone knows my secret heart's desire, I'll just take credit where credit is due for today/yesterday.
*credit* weighing in: 248.5 (-1.5)
*credit* checking in with coaches
*credit* 30min brisk*competitive* happy*walk with DH at 10:30 pm last night when I am usually in bed. I wondered if "shocking" my body would get me below 250 for weigh-in today. Looks like the strategy was on the money.*credit* for listening to my intuition on this.
*credit* for moving the vanity into the closet in the bedroom and beginning the process of creating a "winter bedroom oasis" - my goal for that room. It will require a total makeover. I will thrill DH with it as well as he will have the blackout curtains he longs for.
*credit* planning meals and cooking from scratch
*credit* just plain eating less
*credit* being 100% on board and supporting DH even if it means a shift in my own plans. I am willing to give up total control sometimes and this is a good thing.

Ok, off to plan my day. I have ignored some stuff to do other stuff this week. Now to prioritize what I really have to get done and to get doing it.

Thanks for all the daily support. Every one of you is a big help. Thanks.

Bye for now.

PS. DH had his first "normal" blood sugar reading last night after the walk: a much coveted 5.0 appeared on his glucometer. It is a HUGE success and accomplished in exactly one week.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had another sloppy day. One benefit from posting here daily: I get sick of myself after about three days of reports that I'm not doing well. So, I'm highly motivated not to make it a fourth. I have a good, doable plan today. I am determined to execute it well -- and stick the landing!

Yesterday's challenge was getting DH to a primary care physician for the first time in over a decade. It went well but he was grumpy and anxious about the whole thing. His blood pressure was mildly elevated, but we knew that -- it's why he finally went. The doctor approved of his lifestyle changes and was willing to wait a couple of months to see if they work before discussing medical interventions. Now, we wait a bit anxiously today in hope that the blood test results show normal cholesterol and sugar numbers.

This helped this morning from the prologue of The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, a dialog with a doctor describing a brain scan to a former overeater:

Quote:
"When you see food, these areas" -- he pointed to a place near the center of her brain -- "which are associated with craving and hunger, are still active. Your brain still produces the urges that made you overeat.

"However, there's new activity in this area" -- he pointed to the region closest to her forehead -- "where we believe behavioral inhibition and self-discipline starts. That activity has become more pronounced each time you've come in."
I demonstrated in the last three days that my overeating brain pathways still exist, but I know that I also have behavioral inhibition pathways in place -- I intend to light those up today!

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise: +20 335/1400 minutes for August, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Woohoo, onebyone! Terrific to see that number!

Hi, Nelia! Great to see you back here. Posting daily and constant experimentation work for me. I'm still holding out some hope, but I'm becoming convinced that I will never be on the wagon for good. It's going to require continued vigilance for the rest of my life. Fortunately, the vigilance has its own rewards (new recipes to try and vegetables to grow and farmers markets to visit and exercise formats to explore) and is also providing the basis for other goals in my life to come to fruition (writing every day has some similarities to following a food plan every day).

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 08-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #86  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Default Scrambled

Yikes. This is weird. Yesterday, after a stroke-like event [still undiagnosed] I had an emergency MRI and was sent home on some meds. I found myself sitting on the couch in the middle of the night [where I had not gone to sleep] with corn chips filling my mouth, and all over me and the couch and the floor, practically choking on them.

Turns out I was on a combo of benzodiazepines and a hypnotic. The doctor said, "Yeah, you see some weird behavior on that mix--one lady actually fried up some lettuce".

My head is clear today [no more meds] but I feel like a crazy person with the lame excuse that I was apparently eating in my sleep. I was afraid to weigh in, but I'll do it in the morning. Kind of panicky and feeling the urge to throw the whole day away and eat a bunch of forbidden stuff. I managed to skip ahead to chapter 20 and read about the damage done by continuing on a "Cheating Streak" and was able to calm down.

Eating OP all day and in my regular routine. Still OK'd to exercise and just did 30 min on the bike. Another MRI next week.

There goes the "perfect" Atkins Induction.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

spanky

Last edited by spanky; 08-09-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi..yesterday was a healthy day. I stayed within the plan I had in my mind. However, the evening was 'sloppy'. I did log what I ate during the day. I still had calories I was entitled to eat. So I picked out a couple of things to fill in. However, I wasn't really hungry. I should really plan better. This food craziness we all deal with... it's mind boggling sometimes.

I do so much better when I write down a plan for the day.(usually do) Then those food thoughts don't have to 'spin around in my mind' all day. It's decided. I will do the planning for tomorrow.. . . like a diligent Beck person should do. LOL

I hope you're all having a good day

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-09-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #88  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches, do I ever need you all today.
I had one of those sliding down the slippery slope kind of day. Even though I ate within my calorie limit, it was uncontrolled eating. I did not eat healthy. It was all junk. I am not sure if I was just tired or what the cause of it was. I am off to bed. Tomorrow has to be a better day. Did I mention I am sleeping with my beck book to help me feel better. I still have that all or nothing mentality....I need help here coaches.
Thanks for being here.
Congratulations to all success you are having.
Ann
Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Started the morning with an hour bike ride; starts the day right!
Stayed on plan although dinner was a stretch. We were planning breakfast for dinner and that can lead to lots of sweet calories; I took some of DH's gluten free pancake mix & added wheat germ and oatmeal to my portion--instead of syrup had yogurt and strawberries. Barely touched the bacon, and saved some of the pancakes for tomorrow am.
Headed to Seattle to pick up 2 DDs tomorrow - will do my favorite walk in the city before I meet them. DD1 has also been working hard at healthier eating and exercise so we've agreed I won't cook ALL of their favorites this weekend- a successful and fun visit does not depend on non-stop eating. Now that is a total re-organization of my mindset!!!
I've been working on a food plan for how to get out of town and negotiate the big city without going way overboard tomorrow. Our fav pizza joint for din so that doesn't leave a lot of leeway for the rest of the day.
Onebyone: woohoo! You have been working toward that # and you made it! Great job. Onward and downward!
Gardenerjoy: how did you decide on your monthly exercise minute goal? I'm trying to figure out how to set a measurable goal; more specific than "Move - just do it!" "Rack up the minutes and miles" and "Push yourself every time."
Fingers crossed on DH's lab results
Spanky: Wow crazy scary but glad the weird stuff is over. IMHO, you can't
let a serious drug reaction "count" against your success so far; this is an anomaly and you can get back on track. Thinking good thoughts for your next tests.
Newlifestyle: Do you keep your Beck book right under your head when you sleep so the wisdom goes straight into your brain? Probably easier than slogging through each page while awake LOL
Old 08-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #90  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

Default New around here

Hi Everyone,
I'm new around here, I bought the pink Beck book a week ago and have been reading thru it and am just starting chapter 3. I am an emotional eater so the Beck Diet Solution is a logical choice for me plus my therapist recommended it. After losing ten pounds and holding steady for a week I have found that I have gained roughly 14 pounds I am mainly counting calories but am looking for another option as well, anyone have any suggestions?
Anyways I look forward to getting to know everyone
Jaye
Closed Thread