Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... checking in. Yesterday was a healthy day - I am grateful for that. It's a major credit as I am out of town. I feel proud. I wrote down everything I ate. DIL got out the blender last night so I can make my morning green smoothie. (Thanks Lexxiss for my initial inspiration on smoothies.)

Today my SIL and niece are coming to town. YAY

Having fun with my grandchildren... the little loves of my life.

I am feeling more willingness to try than I have a long time. Grateful.

Have a great day.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #32  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Some weeks ago I bought one of those one-strap back packs at a yard sale (for a great price) - wanted to try it out. I love it for errands and minor usage when fast access is more important than rigorous connection to the body. Well, I finally opened a zippered pocket that I hadn't noticed before and found a wallet! Yep, with twenty credit cards and other personal ID's (only 11 cents in cash). A fun challenge to try to remember where I bought it. So my walk (CREDIT moi) was searching out the house. I've found it, but three attempts haven't found them at home. A quest - such fun.

Gym was gym, CREDIT moi, notable because two guys spoke to me at a gym where not speaking seems to be the code. And eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with more Kale from our garden. DW made a comment about "late summer" which was a bummer since that implies that the seasons continue to change even when it feels good right now.

onebyone – Congrats for surviving your marathon doctor's examination. And Congrats for all the good news about your health. Sounds like your DH has been secretly learning from you all these years and is ready to start making some changes.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Another Hat Trick day. My new visual of you is the body of those Olympians on the balance beam, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Just love it, "my triathlon finishing with a personal best." [Come visit, I'll show you green herons.]

Tazzy - Yay for Dexter taking you for a walk and then tug-of-war for resistance exercise - versatile dog, him. [Cheering for your lone tomato that stood down the hail.]

Rachel (helping rachel) – Major Kudos for the walk and efforts at helpful mothering. My take is that kids hear even when they reject us. It was a major surprise to me to catch myself eating standing up after I was very sure that I wasn't the kind of person who did such a thing.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Sixteen hours is one loooong shift - good luck. Kudos for stiffing the donut - regardless of how much the supervisor wanted you to take it. Thanks for "A calorie doesn't care why you eat..."

soonfit - My take is that any of the ways you approach the Beck plan will work. But stick to one way. If you do this for a lifetime, you can take on the other book for a refresher from a slightly different angle. I would benefit more from relaxing CD's than from a reading of Beck, but I get info far better from reading than from radio or TV either one because I can read faster with better discrimination. I'd suggest continuing with the Pink book - it's working for you.

Here's the link describing how to get your ticker - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/anno...questions.html. The ability to do Personal Messaging (PM's) arrives with the same criteria.

spanky - Super Kudos for recognizing that a "Blue Choo Choo cake" is not a rare culinary treat despite how much you love your DS. Congrats for your six days on-plan with Atkins Induction. [Thanks for identifying the Puddin Jack - spiffy little dog there.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

It's important to make this transition at some point because you never know when life will throw you a diet related curveball. Inevitably something unexpected will happen. Maybe you will start a new relationship, begin caring for a sick relative, or work new hours. Flexible eating will teach you how to stick with your diet by creating an alternative pan. It's important for you to prove to yourself that you can eat more flexibly and still lose weight - and keep it off. Remember, flexible eating is a skill like everything else. It takes practice, and it gets easier over time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 168.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-04-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #33  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Just a note here...I thought I posted this earlier but had not. My perfectionist says, don't post it...it's outdated and you may have missed someone. My Beckist says, check in anyway.credit.

I made it through yesterday not OP but pretty darn close. credit considering the carpet installers were here for 8 hours. I'm happy that today I get to return to normalcy. Work today...and DH returns. I'm excited for his reaction to the project. Fortunately, I know him well enough to know he'll be really excited, too.

BBE, one day I will take you up on the green heron viewing...hopefully during the gazpacho season. Nice that you were able to incorporate walking with good deeding.

soonfit, I haven't listened to the CD's. I have both books and the workbook. Originally, I went through the book/notebook day by day and found the process super structured and helpful. Now I find I often delve into the green book when I'm in the reading mode. Nice list of credits!

Tazzy, great that you are reading again. I'll be interested to hear some of your revelations this time around.

onebyone, sending continued support as both you and DH absorb his diagnosis. Major credit for not eating over it. Thx, too, for the update regarding DH's bread decision. Glad that he's really thinking about stuff.

spanky, great insight knowing that induction is not the time for sugary white flour extravaganzas. Sending you willpower anyway.

Rachel, great job not indulging in wine on a Friday night since that was your plan.

Beverlyjoy, I love the green smoothie habit. Glad to hear you're revisiting it and that you are feeling strong! I'm drinking my smoothie now but it's not green today even though I added kale. I also have golden beet, raspberries cucumber and my usual protein powders.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #34  
Green Tomatoes

For the first time ever, the Wii said that I'm normal BMI. Woohoo! My Mii looks so skinny.

WI: +0.1 kgs, Exercise: +30 135/1400 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

helping_rachel: I sympathize with your daughter's sense of unfairness. That was a big one for me. It helped me a lot to compare myself, at Beck's advice, to "other successful dieters and maintainers." When I thought about "everyone" going to Hardee's for lunch when I couldn't, it felt unfair. But when I tried to imagine BillBlueEyes and some of the other successful people at 3FC going to Hardees, I couldn't imagine they went there very often. If they didn't belong there, than neither did I. Suddenly, eating my planned lunch from home felt like the thing to do -- it's what other successful dieters and maintainers do.

BillBlueEyes: my Mii's new body has more in common with the Olympics gymnasts than mine. I'm the same age as Nadia Comaneci. I remember watching her at the 1976 Olympics and realizing that, at age 14, I was already too old to make the career choice of Olympics gymnast. Besides the age factor, I was also nearly a foot taller, so it was never meant to be.

soonfit: I started with the green book, but didn't do that diet right then, choosing one of my own devising instead. I did eventually use the diet in the green book for a few months and I also, eventually, went through the pink book day by day. This is a long journey. There's lots of time to try lots of things. You don't have to find one right way. Just try something for awhile and see what works for you.

Elizabeth779: what relaxation tape are you using?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #35  
helpingrachel

Hey Team Beck!

BBE, Thank you for your consistency throughout the years on this thread. Your dedication doesn’t go unnoticed and it matters to me.

Soonfit, Looks like you are setting yourself up for great success.

Tazzy, What fun with Dexter! I bet he is a good motivator to walk. I like reading that you are re-reading and committed to the Beck process again (from doing it last year).

Onebyone, Kudos for going thru a battery of health tests and listening to insight from your Doctors. Great job for not overeating. Stay close to the truth of what you have done to take the 40lbs off.

Spanky, I smiled at your breakfast audience with your son and your dogs. Being at the same starting place as you encourages me. I am reading and replacing new thoughts right along with you. It will be a new experience to create “new grooves in this noggin!”

Elizabeth: Kudos for dealing quite well with a food pusher. I already have a hard enough time with the “food pusher’ within☺
Do you like your relaxation tapes and do you mind sharing with where you purchased them?

Beverlyjoy, Your storytelling sounds fascinating. How joyful for you to have time with your grandkids. KUDOS for weighing the same as June 1! That is wonderful.

Lexxiss: I like how you are planning your meals and then eating on plan. I am sure that is what has helped you to lose your weight and keep it off. Would you be open to sharing your smoothie recipe?

Sending good vibes out to the rest of the Beck team.

Last edited by helping rachel; 08-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #36  
helpingrachel

GardenerJoy: Thank you for the great advice and wisdom. I will mention that to her. I appreciate you sharing your perspective and insights.

KUDOS for your mii and normal BMI! What an accomplishment for you.
I love how you record your exercise right along with your weight.

Last edited by helping rachel; 08-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

FINALLY back home. It took an 8 hour drive to get here but I stayed OP. Amazing and I am grateful. Bonus was 1 pound below ticker this morning. Today will be grocery shopping, haircut, nails and a wedding this evening. I am not afraid of the wedding. I am committed to program. I am a little blue this morning and fighting some anxiety. This always happens when I first "Slow Down". I get scared with the stillness. Credit yoga at 10 a.m.

Lexxiss: I love the feeling when you can finally sit back and enjoy the fruits of your effort. Credit.
BBE: My professional summer is over Tuesday. The good news is fall is my favorite season
beverlyjoy: Good to hear from you.
gardenerjoy: I am looking forward to returning to my healthy BMI. I was there six months ago and hop to be there again by fall.

Last edited by maryann; 08-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #38  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Team Beck:

Still OP for my 7th day of Atkins Induction. That's halfway. Tomorrow I weigh and take a few measurements. Lifted weights last night and got my exercise bike time done early this morning. I'm so focussed on it, I feel the will I'll need for Party #1.

I plan to eat ahead of time and to stay busy with the camera like a Good Mommy. And bring a bag of veggies and dip if I do eat.

I shared one Reason from my ARC with my DH. It's new in the past couple years. At 55, I find, when I'm with the 30 somethings with whom I work, and the other Kindergarten Moms, I am self conscious about being "old". I work in Molecular Medicine where everyone is smart and the intellectual competition fierce, but am already hearing things about them not wanting to work in my lab because "we're on different wavelengths socially", they like different TV, different music, different bars---than people my age do. So on top of this I feel fat and stodgy. Yuk. It makes me want to at least be the best I can be physically as well as mentally. DH and I had an interesting talk about this--perhaps it's not uncommon for middle aged people still in the work place. It sucks.

So today is shopping for next week's menu and wrapping presents, then facing down the ChooChoo cake.

Thank you Beck Team! Kudos to all of us for posting here!

spanks

Last edited by spanky; 08-04-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #39  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up to throttle or not to throttle? (I did not).

Hi Coaches

I am so wiped out I cannot even describe it to you.

I did the farmers' market today, up at 6am, loaded the car, unloaded and shlepped tent, tables, display sticks, market stock, chair and etc. to my spot. Set all that stuff up and then sat back and whoa Nelly it was stinking hot today!

I was so wiped out from the goings on of this week and then the heat today. wow. We had to be out of the market early-ish and I am usually one of the last ones packed up so I started a half hour early, which was tough in that heat. By the time I was lifting my lightweight canvases into the car I thought my arms would drop them I felt so spent. Drove home, collapsed on the couch in front of the fan in the air conditioned apartment.

DH informs me he's going out to get a thing to take his blood sugar and that he wants to be "well on his way" by the time he sees our family dr. this week. DH LOVES to know "more than the doctor" and he's also into being his own science experiment. I hoped this part of his personality would assert itself. It has. The "this won't beat me this stupid thing" part. Then he says "And you can't bring anymore crap into the house." OMG I wanted to throttle him. I said "DO you have any idea how hard it has been for me to try to do what I am doing with the crap you brought into the house? THANK GOD you're finally on board." Last night he informed me he was going for a walk at 11pm every night ( he always loved walking at night) and I was welcome to join him "But you have to keep up or it won't do any good". Sheesh. He's 6'3 with a wide walking step. When I keep up I am pretty much race walking/jogging and 11 pm is really off my body clock. I won't be there every night but might aim for 3 nights. He'll be walking alone tonight.
After this he says "and we're buying groceries once a week every week". Hello? Been trying to get that show on the road forever too. I said "what foodplan are you on? Are you doing the diabetic exchanges?" he's already decided "they're not that great of a diet" so he's just going to eat and monitor his blood and figure it out for himself as "everybody is different". For me *I* have to educate myself as to what is ok what is not and really it's mostly serving sizes and really his diet is my diet is our diet now and then I had a HUGE sabotaging thought: what if I just don't do it, don't go along with anything he wants, just mess him up. So AWFUL! I feel so mean. I am sooooooooooooo grateful he is taking personal responsibility and not wallowing, though I know that will come, especially as he says goodbye, cold turkey (what else?) to his beloved coca cola tomorrow.

Anyway, my early morning will be spent at the garden tomorrow, trying to pull out what must be massive thistles overshadowing the veggies. I am wondering about buying some shears just to lop them off at ground level for now. I do not have any hope of eradictating these pesky weeds. It' been hot and dry and my veggies will be super thirsty. Hopefully I'll have some to harvest for all my effort.

Have a good night.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Coaches... checking in. I used many Beck techniques today. I was able to make good choices & stayed out of the pantry here at my son's house.

My son and daughter in law are part of a wedding this weekend. We are watching the little ones. DH's sister & our niece came into town, too. We all had such a wonderful day.

We got take out food for lunch and dinner. I made a good choice at lunch with a tossed salad with chopped fruit, some pecans, and parm cheese. We got Chinese food for supper - I got some steamed veggie dumplings and had a couple of shrimp. Credit for good choices!

I am so glad the computer is working this weekend at my son's house & I can check in. I may be the only person I know without a smartphone or whatever to get on the internet from my cell.

I hope you are having a good weekend. Thanks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-04-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My quest to return the wallet found in the backpack from a yard sale failed in three more attempts. Ouch. DW teased me that I could just leave a note instead of walking to the house and back over and over - that I was just using it as an excuse for the exercise. Dead right, CREDIT moi. Walked to the garden to harvest more cherry tomatoes and cukes and to stare wistfully at the lovely green large tomatoes. Recalling something from my childhood, "A watched pot never boils." Wondering how the tomatoes know?

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. I had the opportunity to serve myself seconds at dinner and I didn't. Gotta remember to remove the bowl of food from the table before we start to eat. Usually served plates are brought to the table, but last night the white bean salad (enough for two meals) was sitting there to serve ourselves. Mindful eating is easier if I'm not staring at an abundance that requires me to make decisions.

onebyone – Wonderful news that your DH is facing his challenge with full testosterone blasting instead of avoiding. Ouch that you have to deal with the exuberance of a newly-converted. Perhaps he'll take you shopping and show you where the fruits and veggies are sold in the stores. Or he can introduce you to farmers' markets. He might make the transition to eating veggies easier if he has his own 'modern' cookbook, like one by Mark Bittman.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for bliss. (Translation for the troglodytes: One's 'Mii' is a digital avatar constructed with one's Wii. Advocates come to think of it as a real word. Even non-believers are expected to know that 'Wii' is a religious instrument used to invoke Endorphins which are peptides from the pituitary gland associated with carnal bliss.)

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, Kudos for "check in anyway" - regardless of the demon lurking behind 'anyway.' [Preparing a bed at Ye Old East Coast Green Heron and Gazpacho B&B.]

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a DIL who'll get out her blender for your smoothies. Neat choices from the take out foods.

maryann - Congrats for one pound down after an eight hour drive. In my previous life, I could eat a pound of nibbles in half that time.

Rachel (helping rachel) – Grapefruit is a terrific substitute for wine. [Thanks for the kind words.]

spanky - Ouch for "self conscious about being 'old'" - it's a painful feeling. We had our kids later and worked at the kindergarten with parents who saw us as the age of their parents. They got over it. Here's hoping that you continue to find co-workers who understand that everyone at work doesn't need to giggle at the same experiences.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

As you make this transition, remain inflexible about checking off your skills every night on your Stage 4 Success Skills Sheet (pages 272-273). To guard against falling back into unhelpful habits, you will need the Success Skills Sheet to remind you what you need to do - and to keep yourself honest. Old habits sometimes die hard, you will need to stay vigilant. Continue to increase your spontaneous exercise, in addition, work up to a minimum of 30 minutes of daily movement and twice-weekly strength training.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 168.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

We got rain! Twice!

WI: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +60 195/1400 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for translating my geek speak!
I'm not sure whether to wish you luck in finding the wallet's owner or if you want that to go on for a few more days to get a bit more exercise. A librarian would probably try to find a phone number using the names on the cards.

Beverlyjoy: love seeing the grandkids' reports!

onebyone: I love BillBlueEyes' words for you -- so useful having the male perspective.
My DH realized that he had high blood pressure recently. He went from no exercise to 60 minutes a day overnight. And a few days later I had to run out to the drugstore at midnight to get Maalox when he ended up with exercise-induced heartburn that produced the worst pain he'd ever experienced and didn't go away by bedtime. It turns out he wasn't drinking water because he thought that would make the heartburn worse. Nope. The cure for exercise-induced heartburn is lots of water before and during exercise. Oh well. There are worse things than a DH getting healthier and we've both experienced it -- a DH who isn't paying any attention to health at all. We'll both adjust!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #43  
persist

Exclamation up, but not really "at 'em"

Coaches

Very sleepy still. I may stay groggy all day. We've got an overcast day here. It rained last night and looks like it could do it again today. I'm ok with that.

Already 9:30am. I thought yesterday I'd have already been to the garden and back by now. I'm a lot slower than I assume I will be pretty much all the time.

Foodwise, I've been lax recording my food this week. DH's diagnosis is not a excuse for me to lose my way now. I did *credit* weigh in and saw 252.7. So I am a bit up from last week. I need to return to planning and tracking. I am just not sure if I am now doing a diabetic foodplan or continuing with my WW.

I *think* though that a diabetic friendly foodplan is pretty much an ideal eating/weightloss plan. DH has not given me any direction on this yet. I don't want to make us food that is bad for him so I need to educate myself. And what's good for him will be good for me as well. I know that. I knew many folks at OA whose foodplan of choice was the diabetic food exchanges. Anyway, my life has to go on as DH makes his own decisions which, I know, will filter down to me fully formed.

Dishes have gotten out of control again. No clean spoons for instance, and just one fork available. Piles of plates again. Time to get caught up and it is becoming more and mre clear that when I start the dishes I need to continue on until they are finished as my previous "last pile I need to do" is now just one more pile in addition to the new stuff.

Just thinking about it makes me even more tired.

*credit* just saw my signature line and I am halfway through week #3 wheat free.

OK logging off now to go arrange my day.
Bye for now.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A beautiful quiet morning in my home. I could ask for nothing more. i had plans to get up to yoga and then shop but instead I slept in till 8 am. I really need to just stay put. I may not get out of my pjs today or I may slip off to the pool this afternoon with DS and DH. The wedding was a success and may mark the first time I didn't eat wedding cake.

Food is written down. The house is bursting with fresh fruit local strawberries, peaches, blackberries, and cataloupe. I will juice today.

BBE: I always laugh when things like a white bean salad are a temptation. When did that happen? My old eating habits were so appalling - a bag a cookies, a loaf of bread, that an innocent little salad would slip right by with no condemnation.
gardernerjoy:I am hoping for lots of rain this winter.
onebyone: Diabetes is very scary. I am glad your DH is taking it seriously.

Last edited by maryann; 08-05-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #45  
persist

Lightbulb another post re:clean up your environment

Coaches

I just made my own declaration to DH: no more plastics in the kitchen or for cooking, including food in cans which have plastic linings=almost every can I think. This is a level of environmental cleansing I have thought about but since DH's diagnosis, and then the same evening I watched a Canadian science series I hadn't seen in years--it's been on the air for decades-- and the topic was "Programmed to be Fat?" and so I settled in and was reminded that proven 100% or not, it wouldn't hurt to get rid of the chemicals that may be leeching into my food. Here's the link: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows...ID/2186429482/.
We are in a priviledged position to be able to replace the few things we buy in cans with the glass equivalents, often 1.5-2x the cost. It will require, guess...you got it, another key Beck skill: planning our food. DH is onboard so we move ever forward.

Billblueeyes: a super-sized for the reference to Mark Bittman. Just watched his TED talk, looked up his books--many at our library! So excited. Thanks again.

If anyone has any suggestions of what yu consider to be exceptional vegetarian cookbooks I would love to check them out. If you want, PM me with them; perhaps it's not Beck-related... and I don't want to clutter the thread.

Off again.
Closed Thread