Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

Once again a long time between posts. I'm here now because I'm leaving work early today to take Dexter for his last set of immunizations and I don't want to get too involved in a project and then feel rushed.

I'd love to report that everything has been on plan and things are going smoothly. I have been weighing almost everyday, again it's staying the same. It's Einstein's theory of insanity, doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. Nope until I start to do things differently that scale is not going to move down. Dexter has now been with us for 5 weeks and in that time I think I've had 3 nights of a full sleep, being even moderately tired really makes me slip up. I need to get organized and maybe by doing a food plan for a week at a time that would help. I always think I should do a batch of cooking at a time and freeze single servings to have on hand. And lately I've been waiting for it to cool off and that has not been happening. Probably just another excuse!

I have been reading my ARC card and that's the one consistent thing. Once again it's time to focus and get going! At least I can give myself credit for getting back onboard with a slight increase on the scale.

Happy Monday to all
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #182  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone,
A lady from work was talking to me in the cafeteria and she was mentioning she is doing a course to become a trainer/nutritionist. I was talking about the struggles I have been having with creating a food plan and my fear of eating too many calories. She asked me if I could be a guinea pig for her and she is going to develop a meal plan for me. She also mentioned about different fitness routines and I realize this is stressing me out as I feel I have too much on the go right now. I would much rather walk/run more often as I can fit that in to my day. I know I shouldn't be overwhelmed but I can't help it.

Gardenjoy--kudo's for being 90% OP and having 885 minutes of exercise for August.

NatureGirl: I hope your bike gets fixed soon. I enjoy your riding adventures. Enjoy your hike.

MaryContrary: Congrats for not eating Pizza even though you got locked in the bedroom. I think that would stress me out. Next weeks goals is a great idea. I need to do something like that.

Lexxi: Wow that is scarey living the brownie nightmare. Great idea to put them in the cooler. I have always been afraid of pressure cookers. I need to read up on them as they cut down the cooking time.

Onebyone - hello, I hope you had a great day.

Tazzy - I can't believe it has already been 5 weeks that Dexter has been with you. Congrats for reading your ARC cards.

Bill - I hope you are having a wonderful time.

Hello to everyone out there.
Have a great day.
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 08-20-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #183  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone,
Today is my 9th day without soda! WOOOHOO CR. I've been mostly staying OP. Yesterday I was over at my best friends house because her daughter said she would color my hair for me, well after we got done everyone was hungry so Dona my BFF made some spaghetti, she fixed me a small plate as she knows I am watching what I eat and how much I eat. Well after I finished eating slowly and mindfully CR I went into the kitchen to put my plate in the sink and was talking with her and I saw a package of pound cake, so I got out one small slice, as I was leaving the kitchen half of that slice fell off to the floor, gravity is a great way to get you back on track LOL.

I spoke with my diet coach/therapist today and we laid out a few good plans but implementing them is going to have to wait until next week due lack of money.

Once my friend gets a picture taken of me I will change my profile picture so you can see the new color, it is an auburn color, my natural color is very dark brown that most people mistake for black.

Jaye
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #184  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry almost completely off track

Coaches

I had several off the wagon incidents yesterday. I started the day with a calorie bomb that was unexpected: one serving of a thing that was 400 calories! Wow. And then, due to being tired, frustrated, confused about what I am eating and my foodplan now that DH has a condition and I re-connected with my inner co-dependent, and feeling upset that the condition of my apartment is getting worse and worse and all I can think about is having a holiday- well it all just piled on-oh yeah and my tea room paintings deadline which was today-so I ate the calorie bomb and did the classic "who cares. I don't care today. What can I have next?" and I didn't buy more stuff but the things I made were SUPER calorie heavy as DH is eating, basically, Atkins/low carb, full fat/high fat and I have been following this and this morning I *credit* weighed in to see 253.7

(eek.)

I *surprise surprise*(NOT) dealt with my stress by eating.
AND.... what else would someone like me who has used food for 40 years to deal with stress/problems/emotions do?
OF COURSE I would use food for these reasons WHEN I DON'T HAVE A PLAN.

Hello?
Beck101 here.

Plan plan plan.

I had better get a grip cause that 248 number is now 5lbs away from me. It could be salt at this point. It may not be that. My gifted body loves to put on weight and really doesn't like to let it go very easily So. I need a shake.
And a plan.

It was a lot easier the way my DH ate before. It was so obviously BAD and OFF LIMITS that I could just say no to the junk food, the sweet things, the non-diet drinks, the white bread. Obvious. Now he eats what I eat, but full fat and I LOVE full fat. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. So, now what do I do? Cook his full fat and mine low fat? That's not gonna work. My work load has already doubled as DH now has to have a breakfast before he's off to work as work only has food he can't have. I also make dinners now, every night. And the dishes pile up and up when I am also trying to get my artwork done and meet my deadlines. Something's got to give and it seems to be my food choices. But there is now way I am gaining my weight back and no way I am not going to meet my personal goals by my birthday next year no no no. So, I am returning to weight watchers which is how I got this 40lbs off. It keeps me fcused and I will have to just *accept* that I eat only small portions of the food I make DH. He may have unlimited portons but that's my tradeoff for having fruit which is more important to me and not important to DH.

I'm going to work this out and I am going to have an apartment that I *love* and not just "live in". Change change change. I MUST change. If DH can make his major changes so can I.

Geez this is hard sometimes isn't it?

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #185  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Yikes. Survived the weekend OP but today have lost my way. Dragged myself here to report it so I have someone to tell that I'm determined to NOT repeat today POINT!. Went way over my carb limit and surfed into dinnertime and more extra carbs.

My next move is to get that ARC card out, make a plan card, and get back on track.

No real excuse for this, I simply lost my focus. Getting it back as of NOW.

spanky
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

I mailed Thesis Packet #1 1:00 this pm. It should have felt good but I have been very high anxiety these last days. Thankfully, I have stayed mostly on plan. A girl's weekend in Tahoe resulted in 36 cupcakes!!!!! being housed in my kitchen. On the whole, I am extremely proud of myself and scale said today just a half pound gain.

Newlifestyle: That is terrific getting a meal plan. I put my food in a nutrition computer program to make sure I am getting all the stuff I need to eat to be healthy.

Gardenerjoy: I agree. It is important to be grateful. It sees me through the tough times.

Cheers and hugs to those struggling with food tonite. I am thinking of you.

Last edited by maryann; 08-20-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 206/199/155

Well Good Evening Coaches,
I haven't posted for a few days, I had to make an unexpected trip out of town this weekend and it didn't go very well as far as my plan went. We visited my brother who cooks like Paula Deen, and it was very good. Too good but I got some things done that I have been putting off for to long, and now the stress of a project not done is gone. Next time I visit maybe I can plan a little better and bring some things that are diet friendly. He lives way out in the sticks, so running to the store would be at least an hour trip and I just didn't have the time. Plan Plan Plan. I will do better.I just don't know how I could have gained 7 lbs in two days because I did hold back some, if I had just let completly go I would have been 15 lbs.
I havent got the mini trampoline yet but it is on the way!!! I had one years ago and I did like using it. I hope it will work out for me this time.
I did come home and get back on track today. CR. I read my cards and made a few new ones. CR I weighed this morning CR Even if it hurt a little and ate like I know you are suppose to even if it wasn't written down. I will make a plan for tomorrow and stick to it no matter what.
Ok thanks for listening and I will talk to you all tomorrow. Thanks for being there
Carol
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #188  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I weighed this morning and have a plan for today. We had our big salad after work and when we sat down for dinner I wasn't hungry, but ate anyway, nothing "bad" just more than I needed. I'll continue to be mindful and try to notice this again tonight.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #189  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've never had anything from a food truck, so when I saw one yesterday selling baked goods, I swapped out my planned snack for one of their items. It was good and I'm glad I did it once. But I won't do it again. The frozen yogurt with fruit that I originally planned would have been just as tasty, more satisfying, more healthful, and less triggering.

Yep, Todd Akin is my congressman. You can thank my district for providing the country with some August doldrums water cooler conversation.

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise: +35 920/1400 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Tazzy: I hope your Dexter starts letting you sleep! Lack of sleep effects all of my abilities, including the ability to stay on plan. Good job getting back onboard!

Newlifestyle: cool that you have someone doing a meal plan for you. But, yeah, I think that plus a mention of fitness routines might feel overwhelming to me, too. Advice is good, but it doesn't mean you have to take it, especially not all at once.

Jaye68: yay for continuing to rid yourself of the soda habit!

onebyone: so sorry you're struggling. I am sometimes absolutely floored by how much effort it takes to have a healthy life. And sometimes SO resentful. And, then, it gets better. Maybe I'm getting better at it? Surely. That has to be some of it -- it's taking a little less time and energy. But it's also like a switch has gone on that helps me appreciate it all as a whole. These efforts (cooking, cleaning, gardening, shopping) are giving me the life I want and so I love them. Except, then, sometimes the switch goes off and I resent it all again. It's more on than off these days -- a definite improvement. I think it will get better for you, too. I keep writing thinking that I'm going to happen on what flips that switch, but I don't know what it is. Something about letting resistance float away and acceptance settle comfortably down.
I resent cleaning the kitchen less if I do it in small doses. It took a long time, but I'm now pretty much in the habit of cleaning it four or five times a day.
When I'm really feeling bratty about kitchen work, I arrange some entertainment -- get my husband to talk to me, or bring in the laptop and play video, or play music that I like. Music's the best because it actually makes it go faster. This one's a bit embarrassing but the best entertainment, if I'm home alone, is to learn all the words to a song. I print out the lyrics of something long and complicated like Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" or Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" and sing it over and over again until I memorize it -- that's worth several days of entertainment right there.
Automating meals helps. Eating essentially the same breakfasts, lunches, and snacks and only four or five different suppers has made us more efficient at all phases of kitchen work. But, of course, it took a long time to figure out what those foods were that we would be willing to eat repeatedly.

spanky: great job getting right back here and finding your focus again -- that's what makes all the difference!

maryann: Woohoo for Thesis Packet #1. I know how sometimes the anxiety makes it difficult to feel the relief and sense of accomplishment -- but try! 'Cuz it really is an accomplishment!

Iwanttowin: 7 lbs in two days is unlikely -- probably mostly salt-induced. Drink lots of water, while getting back on plan (of course), and it will disappear quickly!

Lexxiss: yay for another day of weighing in and developing a plan!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone,

Two nights of sleep from 10:30pm - 5:30am, Dexter sleeps through the night if we let him stay in the kitchen where I'm guessing the tiles keep him cooler. It's working for now so no need to change it.

Weighed this morning and am up. No surprise as DH made fish & chips last night with the deep fryer (which was my idea to keep the house cool) so I'm sure that's a big part of it. Again need to get some planning done here. Tonight it will be veggies and meat. Lexxiss I love having salad, even more so when someone else makes it!

gardenerjoy Food trucks are all the rage here now, they have a website where you can follow where they will be each day. There's only one I want to try and they have crepes. The one day I did see it was on a walk to the library and I had already eaten my lunch. I agree with you that the snack you would have prepared yourself would have been just as good or even better.

onebyone One day at a time, one meal at a time if necessary. You have a lot of changes happening with DH's medical needs. You mentioned having to cook high fat for him and low fat for you, have you considered having a smaller portion of the high fat choice? I found when I changed from eating fat free yogurt to greek yogurt my portion size is significantly less and I feel much more satisified by it. I'm not convinced that everything low fat is a good route for us to follow. When you take out the fat, what goes in to keep the taste, more sugar and sodium?? With regards to your kitchen, does your DH contribute to cleaning? At our house, the ones who don't make meals do the clean up and it doesn't matter if they've been working all day or not. You may not have a "regular paying job" and feel that you have to do everything in the house to contribute but that is a notion that's been instilled in women for years and not valid in my opinion. Running a household is a job and an unpaid and unappreciated one most of the time.

Hi to everyone else , back to the paper on my desk.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Weighed in today and I'm back down to two weeks ago--the pound I was up last week is gone. Now time to concentrate (on exercise mostly) to go below that.
Fast food detour yesterday but got back on track.
Bike ride (well, fooled around on the bike in the neighborhood) in the evening to see if it was working--it is. When I finish this, I will head out because it isn't hot this morning.
Made a plan; leaving the dinner part open and will plan for dinner out; gotta figure out local places and good choices at each. I can then plan in dinner.
Tazzy: Glad Dexter is sleeping; tired makes good choices hard. Our dogs got in the habit of getting up a lot and we discovered that if we let them whimper for a while they would settle back down--they were training us to let them go out and check out any noise or smell that drifted in the house all night long. A couple rough nights convincing ourselves we weren't being cruel and everybody slept.
Newlifestyle: The AC $$issue is that we would need to put in a furnace w/ ducts and then AC; not depend on our baseboards and gas "woodstove". We have 10' ceilings and essentially one big room, so getting a room AC at Costco wouldn't work either, unless I just got one for the bedroom and then I would feel even more confined during the hot weather.
Iwanttowin: Anything that takes us out of our routine presents a challenge and a learning opportunity--next time you go to your brother's (or anywhere else) you will have strategies or at least know that you need new strategies.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #192  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Hi everyone -- I fell off the grid -- sorry about that -- I've been working too much, doing everything too much -- including too much food. Dropped the ball on Beck and relaxation tapes....and reading everyone's posts to catch up I see that when we get busy, into new or different surroundings, overwhelmed, overbusy, is when we fall off track....and that has been what I have done...but the "track didn't move" -- I did! So, picking up Beck, going to listen to tapes today, and at work on break, and at home tonight, and make a plan for food tomorrow and get back on track.

Soooooooooooo NEW response card: "IT IS NOT OKAY TO EAT UNPLANNED FOOD BECAUSE YOU ARE TIRED, OVERWORKED, OR OVERWHELMED. A CALORIE DOES NOT CARE!"

Another card: "IT IS IMPORTANT TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF -- ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM TIRED OR OVERWHELMED. IF I DON'T TAKE CARE OF MYSELF, I WON'T BE ABLE TO HELP OTHERS?"

Nature gal -- you said: "Anything that takes us out of our routine presents a challenge and a learning opportunity" Thank you for that reminder -- I should see things as a challenge and learning opportunity. I'll make a response card for that...Also, thanks for the insight about "how much time it takes to have a healthy lifestyle -- that is so true -- it takes no time no planning to constantly be running through fast food, or just eating mindlessly and on the run....you're just full of wisdom lately what a help y ou are!

Tazzy -- I agree sleep is so important, last week I was going on 4 hours of sleep, then 3, then 2.....we just have to make sleep a priority.

Maryann -- Yayyy on getting your thesis mailed....what is your thesis about? Inquiring minds wanna know! Without knowing, it's easy to think: " mating habits of the green eyes, blue speckled New Guinea newt!" Of course that is what a gekko would think....heh heh....And YAYYY for resisting the 36 cupcakes....you're obviously a better woman than I am....if that had been me, I might have been OFF program, and only 32 cupcakes would have arrived in Tahoe!

Spanky, good for you for drawing a line and saying "no more."

Onebyone -- so glad you survived the food frenzy -- it's **** when that happens....but we just have to dig in deeper....hang in there!

Jaye -- YAYYY for cake falling on the floor -- I was dieting once and ordered cheesecake and while waiting was feeling guilty....then it arrived WITH A FLY ON IT!!! I considered that quite a sign, and sent it back and said I had lost my appetite for cheesecake....lol Also, YAYYY for days without cola.

Newlifestyle (Ann) YAYYYY for finding someone with knowledge who is going to help you develop a plan.....keep us posted how that works....and yes, you have to find the exercise that fits best for you....

Lexxis -- new acronym -- BWB -- Bosses With Brownies -- as if life isn't hard enough....and I know what you mean about just one little slice, and before I know it I've "one little sliced" myself into eating TWO brownies...I always have to deal with BWD -- Bosses With Doughnuts -- he brings them to our Tuesday meetings...and that SMELL from the box...oy vey!

MaryContrary -- yes, moving the lawn counts! Sounds like good exercise!

Hope I didn't miss anyone -- oh yes I did!

BBE -- Bill -- wherever you are -- your Beck Gals are hoping you're having a marveouls, relaxing, fun time!!!!

EVERYONE: If any of you have signed up for the Fall Back to Basics Challenge, tomorrow (Wednesday) at midnight central time is the deadline to either sign up and post starting weight, or if you have signed up but want to update y our starting weight, then ya need to do it.

BECK TEAM HUG!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #193  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches

Quick post to say hello. I hope you are all having a great day.
I walked today for over three hours. I am exhausted but I have a haircut booked so I need to go.
I had a great OP day. I packed my food and stuck to my plan. I will just follow my plan until she makes my plan.
Have a great evening and I will hopefully post personals once I am done at the hairdresser.
Talk to you all soon.
Ann
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches. Worked like a dog today at school. Credit for deciding to come home and eat dinner with my family instead of making them go out to dinner. I will just work from home later tonite. It is so nice to be home with DH and DS. I need to remind myself to give myself breaks. OP at school which (for those who knew me last school year) is a terrific miracle.

Iwanttowin: Boy, can I relate to trapped with no OP food to eat. So much of my success depends on my plan. I have had to learn how to "look different" by bringing my own food, eating early and not eating at a dinner table with everyone else, special ordering at a restaurant. My mind says, "Stop making a scene." I hate to look different but I am more important than the person other people want me to be.

gardenerjoy: OK. I am googling Todd Akins. I really need to read the paper more.

Elizabeth: I am working towards my Master in Fine Arts in Writing. each packet is about 40 pages of my own work and critical work of other people's writing. My Thesis will be a book of short stories about women finding peace within themselves.

Naturegirl: Congrats on biking. Even the little jaunts are worth it. it clears our head, and gets us out of ourselves and away from thoughts on food.

Last edited by maryann; 08-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #195  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Good Evening Coaches,
Today was an OP day for me, giving myself credit for eating slowly and mindfully while sitting down, for taking the stairs at least once twice today, for NOT eating any candy or popcorn when I played Bingo this evening and for drinking 3 bottles of water while I was playing Bingo which goes from 6 PM to 7:45 PM. I am having some trouble with not having much around the house that is OP that I can use for lunch at least until I get more money next week then I can buy the stuff to make salads for lunch *yummy* my plan is to alternate between green salad and fresh fruit salads. I have also gotten my neighbor whom I eat dinner with interested in trying different stuff like CousCous (sp?) and Quinoa and Wheat Bulgur and brown rice instead of white rice, she is also trying to lose weight to lower her cholesterol but is not using the Beck system at the moment.... hmmm maybe I will just have to get her a workbook for a gift and get her started on it, anyone know if they make one in large print?
When I weighed this morning I was down 1/2 a pound. I have made a habit of getting up between 7 AM and 8 AM to weigh myself!

Anyways I need to get to bed
Night everyone
Jaye
Closed Thread