Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #121  

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all for the very warm welcome! What a great group of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post

Amy8888 – Kudos for plunging right in with the Hunger Tolerance exercise. How did it go? Did the hunger go away after a while? Neat that you already have your primary plan (Weight Watchers). I take it you're looking for a different plan - perhaps to replace it. There're a wide variety of plans being followed on this thread and, as I suspect you well know, a zillion around and about 3FC. Hope you find the one that fits. Glad you're here.

Well, the hunger came and went. By the time I got home for dinner I was ravenous. I decided to eat a salad and some green beans before I even heated up my entree so I would not go overboard. So credit me for that!

Yes, I have been around 3FC for quite a long time! I've been overweight since childhood and had my first successful weight loss about 10 years ago, following the 90/10 Plan by Joy Bauer. It was great because I was single and I was a student and I had a flexible schedule. It was so easy to focus on myself! I don't know what my starting weight was because I didn't want to know but I estimate I lost about 50 pounds then, and I maintained that loss for a few years.

Then I got married and now I have a full-time job, a husband, and 3 kids (ages 5 months-6 years, adding on 50+ pounds in the process) so I found I needed more support. I absolutely love my Weight Watchers meetings but I need to learn to be a more intuitive eater (I tried the IE idea out a few years ago and that was a disaster for me at the time!). I found the best meeting in town. The leader is funny and not afraid to challenge excuses. The members are also quite funny. And the weigh-ins are essential for me to stay honest about my weight.

Part of me feels like I should be able to keep myself in check without having to write out everything I eat. I got to that point when I lost weight 10 years ago. I generally eat the same things for breakfast and lunch, and I like cooking, and I know all the tricks on how to cook healthfully. Somehow counting Points goes counter to that. I end up relying more on frozen meals when I am counting because it is easier than calculating everything.

Before, I found I could lose weight when I kept my daytime eating consistent, had a regular portion of something for dinner with a lot of veggies on the side, and allow myself one small snack at night. BUT, I had to be consistent, and not fool myself into thinking it would be okay to eat whatever on occasion. That's the hard part, but I think only at first. At least in my experience. Anyway, I thought the BDS was a good way to get me over that hump to where I am eating what I should be without stressing over every little morsel.

How did I hear of BDS? I think I've been hearing about it for years now but it never really registered. I've been following a great blog lately (http://www.runsforcookies.com/) and the author was talking about it, so I finally decided to buy the book. I am not a big fan of therapists (I have a research psychology background and we tend to be suspicious of the counseling psychologists ) but I have always liked the cognitive approach. The exercises in the book are great and I think MAY be what get me to really adopt a new lifestyle.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #122  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default hello

Coaches

I have no idea how I missed posting yesterday I swear I had the reply window open--guess I just never finished it and/or sent it.

Distracted. Yes, I am distracted.

My tape butterfly was deemed a success. In fact, I will break my own rule and post a picture of me being mobbed by the kids when we went into the hall to get a group shot of all my tape butterfly collaborators! I was so surprised at the spontaneous hugs! Such a joy. They did all the decorating of each of the wings, along with making the antennae and the proboscis -- a very important part for our butterfly to have. We did forego the six legs. They also skipped their recess AND their morning snack! The art teacher assured me this was unheard of and showed how dedicated they were to their butterfly project. My sister, upon seeing this image, told me if I am ever promoting myself as an art instructor that I should make sure this photo goes into my promotional material.

And foodwise, well I ate alot yesterday and ate something I should have counted before the fact today. I did *credit* track and account for it. I am now at my weekly point limit but still have my daily allocation so it's ok but wow. I need to make sure I eat my breakfast again. I've been skipping it of late--this is the consequence. I weighed in yesterday at WW and was up one pound. It's ok. I will take that happily.

Until tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butterflysurprise.jpg (41.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #123  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

onebyone, great photo! Thx! Everyone looks happy and BF is beautiful!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 230/213/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Hello

Hello Everyone

I'm sort of new around here and have been trying to find a program I can follow. What kind of program are you all on?

My menu is pretty limited because I don't like a lot of foods. For instance
I don't like meat, I will eat a little chicken and once in a great while a little fish. I eat a limited amount of eggs. I like fruit, salads once in a while, some vegetables, only Italian or Balsamic dressings, no salad dressing or mayo. I usually drink unsweetened iced tea or water and hot tea.

My downfall is I like pasta, pizza, anything crunchy like chips, pretzels, tortilla chips, and popcorn. I also love ice cream. Once in a while I like to have a 'real' coke or a milky way bar. That's mostly the food I eat.

I was doing well on my eating plan and lost 30 pounds mostly from exercise but hurt my foot about 2 1/2 months ago and have gained 15 pounds back because I can't exercise now. The doctor tells me to stay off of my foot but I work two jobs and can't do that. I also have a thyroid problem and I'm on 2 mg of thyroid medication. Exercise was an important part of my weight loss plan.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Again, what kind of program are you on and what's been working for you.

Thank you.

Last edited by Buttermilk Sky; 04-21-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #125  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough with food, CREDIT moi. Dinner was tough since we toured the Geico exhibit at the Museum of Science and didn't sit down at the Persian restaurant until 8:30 pm. The table appetizer was an outstanding eggplant dish with tons of garlic - calling for the naan-like flat bread placed on our table before we had ordered anything. Wonderful family place where the regulars were calling out to the three musicians and various folks were solicitous about our enjoyment of the food and live music. I left a ton of basmati rice flavored with saffron - CREDIT moi, but sure hated to leave it behind.

Had a good long walk, CREDIT moi, almost feeling too hot. Everybody out in shorts and t-shirts means summer to me.

onebyone – That's one joyful bunch of kids - including the tall one, LOL. Sign me up to make a butterfly with you. Kudos for "track and account for it" - the commitment remains during the up blips and down blips.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch with the confrontation of self-eight-years-ago. Kudos for marching forward slowly since then. Thanks for the reminder that CLUTTER is a major energy zapper. As you know, I'm familiar with that one.

Tazzy - Sounds like a plan, "As long as I don't decide to eat because of everything I'll be good." I just love it that 1600 guests is just a normal days work for you.

Susan (hikergirl) – Oh Yes, Kudos for 30 minutes at the gym. Don't let the Sabotaging Thoughts about how long you wish you'd have gone sucker you into not going at all rather than for less than an hour.

Amy8888 – Kudos for facing the struggle, "eating what I should be without stressing over every little morsel." I found out that the morsels mattered, one by one they did, but that learning to avoid stressing was possible. Beck's notion of planning tomorrow's eating works for me. I have a general plan (as she recommends for maintenance) and find it comforting that I know that a meal or snack is no more than a couple of hours away in one direction or the other. My dream of being an Intuitive Eater isn't likely; my Intuition seems to be broken. But the big thing for me is that if I don't eat on a schedule, I tend to find that I recognize hunger when I'm not near a source of on-plan foods but am near an offered brownie.

Buttermilk Sky – Congrats on that 30 pounds loss with Weight Watchers and exercise, and Kudos for recognizing that you want some additional help. We're all on different food plans and exercise plans. We share that we use the Cognitive Therapy (CT) strategies of Dr. Judith Beck to help us stick to our plans. I like it because it's straight forward - when I read it, it makes sense. The easiest was to decide whether her CT is for you is to get one of her two books and give it a try along with your WW. The first post in this thread links to the books on Amazon. Hope you decide to join us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
restaurant skills
Below are some additional main-course menu ideas (start each meal with a salad with no extras and dressing on the side):
. . .
  • A veggie or turkey burger or a small-sized hamburger with half of an unbuttered bun or a very small portion of French fries and a side of steamed vegetables. Ask for condiments on the side because burgers sometimes come with mayonnaise or a mayo-based sauce.
  • Pasta primavera (sauce on the side) with a source of protein (shellfish, chicken, or fish) mixed in and a side of vegetables. Count the pasta as your grain serving and your Bonus Calories, if needed.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 145.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #126  

Height: 5'6"

Good morning all! Have a great day. Lexxis, your post of yesterday was inspiring.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

just lost my whole message. Late night, happy client, very tired feet. 15,000+ steps on a concrete floor. DH waited up to give me a foot massage. Time for bed will check back in tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough, CREDIT moi, - still struggling with snacks, Ouch. At a friends house, I didn't have seconds when they were universally happening. CREDIT moi for that.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, getting one step further toward where I was before I took an exercise vacation for the muscle strain in my calf.

Tazzy - I hate it when I lose a carefully typed message. I've started keeping a copy in a text file as I go so that it's readily available when the posting gods consume without sharing. It happens regularly.

Susan (hikergirl) – And a nice day to you way up there with the mountains we just dream about over here on the coast.

Readers -
Quote:
restaurant skills
Below are some additional main-course menu ideas (start each meal with a salad with no extras and dressing on the side):
. . .
  • Chinese chicken or shrimp with vegetables. Ask for the chicken or shrimp and vegetables to be steamed and served without any oil. Ask for rice and sauce on the side. Get brown rice if it's available and mix only 1/2 cup into your meal (counting it as your grain serving). Use minimal sauce, counting it as your Add-On Calories or Bonus Calories, as needed.
  • Tandoori chicken with a vegetable side dish, such as eggplant or peas, or a bean side dish, such as lentils. Indian food is often cooked with calorie-laden sauces. If you can't get sauce on the side, count those extra calories as both your Add-On Calories and Bonus Calories.
  • Japanese sushi or sashimi (use portion suggested in the Think Thin Food Lists on pages 216-218) with miso soup and seaweed salad. Count the rice as a grain serving.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 145.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #129  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Sunday

Hi Coaches

I'm off to the potters' guild this morning. I was in yesterday morning to look after the kiln with my kiln firing partner. This was unexpected for both of us but I took advantage of the time there by making some garden markers. I ended up creating a large variety of markers, like something I would have for my own garden, but most folks grow a smaller variety of vegetables. Oh did I mention I am in hot pursuit of a community garden plot? I have the phone number to call--it's just a block away--so all I need is for them to tell me they have a plot for me. I already bought seeds. Talk about positive thinking. The seeds I bought, at Seedy Saturday yesterday, were from an area organic grower. I plan to start them today in tiny peat pots:

Blacktail Mountain Watermelon
Chinese 5 Colour Hot Pepper
Hungarian Black Hot Pepper
Cosmic Purple Carrot
Black Valentine Bush Bean
Little Finger Eggplant
Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry
Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato
Kweik Butterhead Lettuce

I'm off to the guild. I have scheduled a 30 minute mall walk for myself before I come home to make sure I get some exercise in today.
I have also planned my food and will track it as I eat it.

Happy Sunday everyone.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am back from a journey of a few scary places (mostly mental and emotional) and the land were wireless doesn't work. DH and I made a pilgrimage to Sacramento to FINALLY resolve the computer problem. As of this morning, everything is ok. I am embarrassed to say, in the last two weeks, I have eaten over many petty situations. Credit for realizing this morning that finishing up my last six weeks at the school I am leaving and trying to complete my last MFA projects (5 book annotations and two short stories in two weeks) is stressful. It is the small straws that break the camel's back. Credit for getting back to basics this morning by writing new advantage cards.

My favorite is "I will act and know that I am more important then the chaos around me and therefore will treat myself kindly." Credit for FINALLY exercising yesterday and today. Credit for continuing to weigh myself even though I didn't really want to know. 5 pounds above ticker but today is a new day.

onebyone – fabulous picture. It is good for me to remember that I have lots of moments of joy in my teaching career that look just like your picture. I just have to remember them.

Amy8888 – welcome.

Buttermilk Sky - welcome

"Hey" to all my friends out there.

Last edited by maryann; 04-22-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #131  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Weekends at work are really busy. I got caught...I didn't bring my "lunch" because last week I didn't have time to eat it. I snacked on toast (nothing) else, and it wasn't a deal breaker caloriewise but it's just not a habit to start. Tomorrow, I'll bring my lunch. Last night as I was picking up in the kitchen I felt some urge to eat different things. I grabbed my paper on the fridge and wrote down, healthy pizza, salad, strawberries. It was enough intention to get my head back on the right track. I had pizza and salad and never got to the strawberries.

BBE, glad you are getting back to your comfort zone at the gym.

MaryAnn, I like your new card!

onebyone, nice seeds and a positive outlook for a garden plot.

Tazzy, ouch for lost posts.

Amy, the exercises in the book have really helped me, too.

ButtermilkSky, BillBlueEyes already updated you on Beck Diet Solution. I follow South Beach Diet and have evolved into liking many of the foods you don't like(and that I didn't used to like, either). As to the stuff you do like;
"pasta, pizza, anything crunchy like chips, pretzels, tortilla chips, and popcorn. I also love ice cream. Once in a while I like to have a 'real' coke or a milky way bar."
I like them all, too, but when I eat them I don't lose weight, in fact, often I gain. Beck Diet Solution helps me to eat to lose weight/maintain and teaches me how to plan to have the above mentioned foods in moderation WHEN I plan ahead. Best wishes.

My planned exercise today was work and my spontaneous ex. was turning the compost bin multiple times. It's very heavy. I've been doing great at keeping my clutter under control and am sitting down NOW to progress on a project which needs to be finished before I go to Alaska....company books for 2012. This is my first attempt at keeping up instead of doing the entire year at one time. credit.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

I've been dealing with a lot of "I don't wanna" thoughts -- especially for things like planning meals, exercising, and posting here.

At the same time, I've got a lot of "I want to do this AND I really want it done yesterday" thoughts -- mostly about getting ready for our trip to Ireland, writing, and just general organization.

The combination is quite tricky. I can justify working on my projects instead of exercising or planning meals with those thoughts. Worse, since I'm feeling so behind on my projects, I can see myself using those justifications day after day with no end in sight.

Advice? Wise words? Camaraderie?

WI: +0.3 kgs, Exercise:+55 940/1400 minutes for April, Food: NA%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: the photo of you and the butterfly and the kids warmed my heart. Thank you!

Welcome, Buttermilk_Sky! I use an exchange plan, more or less of my own devising, although it rests a lot on the exchange plans from pre-points Weight Watchers and Richard Simmons. Those are both low-fat plans (rather than the low-carb that's all the rage today). I could easily make what you eat fit into my daily plan. Well, easily, but obviously limiting the portions of the "pasta, pizza, anything crunchy like chips, pretzels, tortilla chips, and popcorn." I eat a small portion of ice cream a few days a week -- even more often when it's my homemade frozen yogurt. I eat a giant salad at lunch and, often, a second at supper. I make my own salad dressings and they are often balsamic vinaigrettes. Here's the plan I was eating when I was at about your weight: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3273299-post8.html. It's changed a bit over time, but that seems to be part of the trick -- being able to adapt the plan over time when caloric needs go down as the body weight does and with changing seasons, changing environments, etc.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Remaining at the good enough, CREDIT moi, with snacks too large. Perhaps I need to be hit by a tsunami to get my head back on track. Rain all day - seriously welcomed by local gardeners and fire fighters - kept me indoors instead of out for a walk. I did well at lunch with friends when i skipped the homemade bread with special jam.

onebyone – Impressive list of seeds - all with neat names. We don't have space for watermelon since it seems to like to spread over acres to grab the sun.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I can offer camaraderie for "I don't wanna" - seem to be indulging there a bit myself. That "feeling so behind" can paralyze me so that my plans just aren't visible to my brain.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Certainly Kudos for, "keeping up instead of doing the entire year at one time." When I'm behind, it's as easy for me to dawdle as it is to get in gear.

maryann - Thanks for "I am more important then the chaos around me" - it's hard to remember the me when surrounded on all sides.

Readers -
Quote:
restaurant skills
Beware of options that sound reasonable but may not be as healthy as they seem. For example:
  • Burritos: Because burritos are flour or corn tortillas stuffed with protein, vegetables, and rice, many dieters fail to estimate their true calorie count. Certain ingredients - especially rice, cheese, guacamole, avocado, sour cream, and sauce - add lots of calories. Many restaurant burritos are also enormous, with some totaling more than 1000 calories. Just the tortilla alone may contain 300 calories.
  • Chef, Cobb, or taco salad: Ingredients such as eggs, avocado, olives, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, croutons, bacon, cheese, Chinese noodles, tortilla strips, and dressing can drive up the calories, with some jumbo salads totaling more than 1,000 calories. The large serving of shredded cheese that tops some restaurant salads comes to more than 400 calories by itself. The fried tortilla bowls that taco salads are often served in may have several hundred calories.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 145-146.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #134  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all. "Off" today which is rare this time of year, have the house to myself, have managed dishes, laundry, errands and the never ending paperwork, too bad paperwork does not burn a lot of calories, then I would be on the boards to GAIN weight!! Anyway my eating is so-so, have been having little gains on weigh in days, no surprise really, I am still trying so that is a plus! Having boiled crawfish tonight and am determined NOT to eat too much, but it is hard because they are so good! But, I will have control!!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

I wrote both a Plan A and a Plan B to make sure that I was following a plan today since I've been struggling recently. My motivation for exercise has increased a bit, too, with it being near the end of the month. I can meet my goal, but it will take an hour a day to do it so I'll need to stay right on top of it. I'm feeling slightly more like I've got a handle on my projects, too, after a day of planning some things and doing others.

WI: +0.05 kgs, Exercise:+70 1010/1400 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread