Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was perfect because I got caught up watching the DVD of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It was on the special shelf at the library as I was checking out; I grabbed it. Was reminded that I hadn't understood most of the movie when I saw it in the theater because I hadn't yet read the book (since remedied).

Exercise was walking to the library, CREDIT moi, and out and about with DW earlier in the day. Trying to get my head back into going to the gym since my calf itself is healing even though I seem to be suffering from residual indignation.

onebyone – Yay for the farmer's market to drive your work and serve as a place to sell. Why am I not surprised that you became the focus of media attention for the art history project? That's just great news. Congrats on your new low scale weight.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – No wireless is just wonderful - so good to be reminded that the world continues to spin on its own.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a planned time to be mother's helper with your new DGD. [A friend's 5 year old nephew just "loved" his little sister, until the day he told her with great surprise, "Aunt Winnie, she's gonna come live with us."]

maryann - The local ski places wish they had snow to attract a whole family's worth of customers. Have a nice week.

Tazzy - Losing 3.4 pounds in one day sounds like an ad for one of the magic weight loss pills, LOL. Wonderful sentence, "Persistence is paying off and I'm very happy."

maplover – Kudos for reading your book club book instead of TV - it's easy to get used to having no advertisements.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
Create a Restaurant Mindset
Typical restaurant servings in America are double or triple what most people can eat and maintain a healthy weight. No wonder researchers at Queens College of the City University of New York found that people tended to consume more calories when they ate out and that people who ate out often tended to weight more than people who mainly ate at home. University of Pennsylvania researchers have determined that people who live in areas densely populated by restaurants - particularly fast food restaurants - tend to weigh more than people who live in areas with fewer options.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 143.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #77  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking from the villa billiard room

Hello Coaches

*credit* for a super-excellent day here in Ottawa today. All Went Well.

I not only had a great outing with my mom in very fine spring weather, I also made it to the mini print exhibition at my art school alma mater and ran into pretty much everyone I wanted to see all in one place. AND I was smart and took the bus there, leaving the car at the park and ride here on the east end of town. No pain getting there and back when I am pretty tired.

AND AND AND.... the scale here at the local weight watchers officially read 256.6 I lost 4lbs this week. OMG. I am really under that 260 mark finally.
Good bye 260+
See ya later 260+
Don't let the door catch you on the way out... yeah you 260+

Of course, I am suspicious of the reading. We'll see if the scales at my home meeting reflect this next week. But _I_ shan't be responsible for doing anything it make that number climb. I really want to see it again (or less).

I am here one more day then I head home. I will try to have an equally good day tomorrow. I wish you all the same...TGIF.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-12-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #78  
Green Tomatoes

I'm noticing a renewal of an old habit, adding a little something to supper as if what I served wasn't enough -- even though I know it was. This has happened two nights in a row, but it stops now.

WI: +0.2 kgs, Exercise:+45 405/1400 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: so excited about your new granddaughter and that you'll get to spend time with her soon.

onebyone: loved all those dancing bananas -- glad your trip is working out so well.

Greetings to one and all!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #79  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday the 13th

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was only OK, CREDIT moi. I embellished afternoon snack since I had something to finish and was dawdling - Ouch. It's easy to procrastinate and let the adrenalin of the deadline push me across the line.

Got my walk to include an errand, CREDIT moi. It's nice enough out to begin to think summer thoughts. May you all overcome your paraskevidekatriaphobia today.

onebyone – Happy bananas for that new scale reading. Kudos for working your alma mater and having a good mom visit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for "but it stops now." I'm feeling ready for some garden produce to appear.

Readers -
Quote:
It's important that you start viewing restaurant meals for what they really are: abnormally large. If you don't, you will feel deprived when you can eat only part of what you are served. When you get your meal and portion off the part that you can eat, tell yourself, This is a normal portion for a successful dieter or maintainer. Remind yourself that it's worth it to forgo that extra food if it means you get to lose excess weight and keep it off. Besides, you can always wrap up the extra food and plan to have it the next day - that way you get to enjoy two meals from it.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #80  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Tazzy, onebyone: YAY on whoooshhhes!!! Wow! How exciting! Kudos to you both!

GardnerJoy: damned those creeping tendencies! Good for you for seeing them and hitting it head on.

Today is day 40 of the Yoga 40 days. Wow, where did THAT go?!!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #81  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

We have had a nice visit with our Alaska friend. I've been really aware of how much my environment relates to my food sanity. I'm glad I brought my vita mix because my morning smoothie has been an anchor and our dinners have been healthy. On the down side, my personal stuff is really disorganized and we're sleeping on a bed in our sleeping bags. Compounded, is the emotional component here. I went to the cemetery yesterday and found 4 graves of my family members buried here. It's hard to figure that an Aunt lived until 1995 and I never knew she existed. Anyway, I ate sugar last night and had bad dreams, too. Sorry TMI, but I need to check in.

I'm back on track and it's giving me the opportunity to really think ahead and set myself up for a successful trip to Alaska. It will be good for me to plan ahead for sure!

gardenerjoy, kudos for noticing a counterproductive trend and stopping it!

Tazzy and onebyone, congrats on scale movement!

Donamarie, kudos for your 40 day committment followed through!

BillBlueEyes, I haven't answered your question....we're doing 10 days in Alaska to do some work on our house. DH goes up most years but I haven't been since we left in 2003. I was at my high weight when we left so this is an interesting homecoming.

I've attached a pic of our little beach house...it's hidden...and the view from the front deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 129404507691105275.jpg (35.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 129404500154953549.jpg (32.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-13-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi! Thanks to folks for your nice good wishes at the birth of my granddaughter. We will drive there tomorrow to meet her. Then drive back to catch a flight to LA where I'll be with my sister for 8 days helping her... she had a surgery. Then, I"ll be back home and then go back to where my son/dil/gs/&gd live. Lots of running around.

I've packed my Beck book and have my cards for reading. I ordered a low calorie meal for the plane. (I didn't even think they fed folks anymore)

It's going to be a busy next two weeks.

I need to be careful and thinking about making wise choices. I will plan the best I can.

I will have to use other people's computers while I am gone. I hope I can check in everyday.

As always thanks for your support, wisdom and kindness.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hi all!

Very busy week at home and work. Weight is same, have not gotten any planed exercise since Tuesday. Trying to get more steps in each day. Will try for the bike again this weekend, snow keeps interferring. At least when it snows now it melts quickly.

Going to the local horticulture society garden show tomorrow, I really want to get into that garden dirt. I'll try and get back for personals soon. Looks like there has been some good progress.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough, CREDIT moi. Apparently that's my new mantra for the moment. Like a looooong windup before the pitch, LOL.

It is my day to tick my counters in my signature, CREDIT moi - always an upbeat moment for me.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sending supportive thoughts as you face the "compounded emotional component" of a visit backward in time. Kudos for bringing your vita mix to create a basis for food sanity. View from your front deck is just stunning.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for the life of the traveling nurse. Even if you can't get yourself to a computer, we'll still think of you each day.

Tazzy - Be very careful at that horticulture society garden show - plants have a way of following you home, LOL. DW just returned from an event with about 8 new plants for our tiny yard that's already full; "Will have to move a few things around," she acknowledged.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats for finishing your 40 days of yoga!!! Do you still continue?

Readers -
Quote:
I want you to feel entitled to make special requests. If you had a serious health problem, you wouldn't think twice about asking for food to be prepared to your specifications. I had to do this for several years whenever we ate out with my son, who was on a special ketogenic diet for epilepsy. His diet required he consume a strict ratio of four parts fat to one part protein and carbohydrates. We had to ask for his food to be prepared in a special way. We had to bring his beverage and a food scale to restaurants and then weigh every gram he ate. I never felt embarrassed - not at a fast-food restaurant, not at a fancy restaurant - because it was simply what we had to do for his health.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #85  

I am modifying my food plan to be more Atkins.
I am not losing any weight and I think it's because I am eating too much fruit. Even though I have been pretty good at tracking my calories, and getting to the gym, the scale is not budging. I also need to double down on Beck and pick up where I stopped
I have a new response card which originated from the workouts I do and especially olympic weight lifting. How to get yourself through a tough workout...

1. see yourself as work in progress: Even though I'm over 60, I still am learning things. I have always suffered from the feeling that I'm not really capable of doing things. Maybe you can't lift as much weight as others, but you are trying and perfecting yourself all the time. This can be applied to eating less. You may not be perfect, but there is no reason not to try. If you slip up, start again.

2. deal with it: This is my new 3 word mantra. Okay you had a bad day. Deal with it (don't eat over it).

3. focus: what is important to you in the moment, whether standing in front of a heavy bar or resisting a tempting treat. Focus on your goals. As you perform a lift while directing your eyes at one spot on the wall, so direct your mind to what you want to accomplish rather than the cravings you may feel in the moment. This is why it is important to write down what you are going to eat every day and make that your goal.

4. negativity kills. you are always being negative about things. I can't do this. I didn't sleep well last night. make it your new mantra "strong as **** nothing can stop me": this is the confidence booster I always need. It relates to giving yourself credit for the positive things you do every day.

5. break it down: often we have tough workouts that might include 100 push ups. Okay that's hard to face if you just think about it as 100 push ups, but if you think about it in terms of 10 and then 10 more, it becomes easier. This is why it is important to focus on say losing 5 lbs and then 5 more, and also why you need to collect data on your performance, whether in working out or getting things done or managing your food consumption so that you can see where you are going and where you have come from.

TazzY: Im going to a plant sale for the Florida Native Plant Society this morning. More gardening = more fun.

BBE:Good enough is a good mantra

Beverlyjoy: have a good trip (s) and remember to take care of yourself

Lexxiss: Awesome views from your house!

fireflye24: congrats on finishing the 40 days.

gardenerjoy: I hate the creeping thoughts of "just a little bit more"

onebyone: holy bananas batman, your weight loss is spectacular!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #86  

Maplover: Sing is sister! These are awesome reminders!

Bill: Absolutely, Yoga is part of my life now. It helps me function at a better level and gives me a coping mechanism. The asanas, or postures, are only part of it, what we learn on the mat we learn to live off the mat and that's the beauty of the whole thing. I need to get better at staying steady in the eye of the storm, and that's for life and for my weight loss and long term maintenance. Thank you for asking.

Well Beckies, I'm having a bit of a battle with my head. We leave 10 weeks from today and I'm cutting the weight down to the wire! I'm hoping to be 15-20lbs lighter by then but if you look at my stats below, the weightloss has significantly slowed down. That said, I'm wearing clothing I bought when I was 20 lbs lighter so something is working. Trying to stay in the moment, make solid choice, renew my commitment and carry forward. Lord I have to start bathing suit shopping in a few weeks! PANIC LOL!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Default NSV - New perspective

Good morning everyone,

A rainy, snowy day here, not sure much will follow me home from the garden show but I'll update that after I'm there!

I had a great NSV this morning and a whole new perspective on how I look at me. I'm sure most of us focus on the parts of our body that we are not happy with and I do that every morning in the mirror while getting ready for work. I know before I step on the scale how things will be by just looking at my tummy area. And I keep wondering why it hasn't changed much. Well this morning I was walking into the bathroom and glanced at myself from the side in a long mirror in the bedroom and stopped and went back. The tummy that I am so worried about has practically disappeared from a side view, one I never really look from. I am very happy and have even more resolve to stick to my program.

After a very busy week at work I had not made any plans for dinner last night. DS was staying at a friends so it was only DH and I and it's kind of a fend for yourself situation. And I really just wanted cereal for dinner. I have had very few servings of that since following a more Atkins type plan. So I had one bowl of oatmeal, then a bowl of Cheerios and thought this is why you can't have this stuff, one bowl always leads to another. I also had a small amount of chocolate and a handful of pretzels. I guess there could have been worse things to eat randomly, when I did my calories for the day I was still okay, kind of high on the carbs though. It has not shown up on the scale yet (weight was the same today) but it could tomorrow. I'm back on track already today, even thought I wanted cereal for breakfast I had my strawberries and greek yogurt. Time to find a snack and get prepared to head to the garden show.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #88  
Green Tomatoes

Today was tougher than normal. Mostly, I think, because I had slips the last few days so now I expect just a little something here and there. But I wanted to nip that in the bud, so I stuck to the plan. "Hunger is not an emergency" and "That's not about me" were the biggest helps. Also, leaving the kitchen.

WI: +0.2 kgs, Exercise:+60 500/1400 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: so excited about your new granddaughter and that you'll get to spend time with her soon.

onebyone: loved all those dancing bananas -- glad your trip is working out so well.

Greetings to one and all!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #89  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was OK again, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was spot on because we went out; I didn't have the evening to think that food was available in the kitchen.

I left the house without a jacket! Just like spring or summer. Got my exercise being out and about shopping at a special market that carries fresh fruits and veggies even better than Whole Foods. Unfortunately, not particularly cheaper. The sight of large fresh leeks, bok choi, fiddle heads, and the rest make me feel that it would be acceptable to pick up a box of dark chocolate covered coffee beans; I didn't, but was surprised at the draw caused by seeing so much healthy food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for "nip that in the bud" - I like being reminded that repetition makes a behavior begin to feel acceptable.

Tazzy - Yay for liking your body - wish we all liked our bodies all the time.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Seems to be the theme today, "staying steady in the eye of the storm." Remind me where you're going that needs a bathing suit.

maplover – Kudos for adjusting your eating plan as you deem necessary. Just love, "deal with it" - reminds me that my off-plan eating is often in lieu of just doing the task at hand.

Readers -
Quote:
Are you thinking, Yes, but you had a legitimate reason to make special requests. If so, I want to remind you that your goal to lose weight and be healthy is legitimate, too. You're also entitled to send food back if it's not prepared in the way you ordered.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #90  

Bill: My family and I are going on our very first beach vacation (where we're renting the house, not as guests). Our destination is Ocean Isle, NC, about 4 hours from Charlotte.
Closed Thread