Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Red face

Hi Everyone,

I ate over my calorie amounts on Monday, so I need to be more careful today. It had gotten cold and windy outside, so I was craving hot comfort food. I learned that those choices need to be consumed in smaller portions.

Exercise was good and I found a few more music videos to put on my smartphone. I enjoy watching those while I petal. I sure like the new Kelly Clarkson one for her song "Stronger". I made up a story about how food mistakes are the bad guys, and she's singing about what it feels like to pick yourself up and get back on track. lol. Just keep moving.

---------------

onebyone: I'm impressed that you are clearly identifying and stating what is stressing you (the "it seems" list). Hearing what your mind is thinking and feeling is an important Beck skill.

Beverlyjoy: If you'll be getting Colorado's weather, it won't be hard to stay out of the garden - colder, windy and hopefully damp. Yea for deciding to plan again.

fyreflie24: Congrats for the new cheerleader!

maryann: Yeah for ticker movement downwards.

Tazzy: I like that you discovered that a food item just didn't seem to hold the same value as it once did. That's powerful.

gardenerjoy: Colder days are coming! It feels so nice after that hot blast. Your local grocery store & cafe sounds wonderful.

BillBlueEyes: Credit for eating rationally at your event. That Ben & Jerry's offer sounds tempting. At least you have time to made a decision and modify your other food if you choose to have some. Yeah, the 'just keep moving' was easy to remember and spurred me into not worrying, just doing.

Last edited by Woodland; 04-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Coaches - Hi!

Yesterday was a healthy food day. My plan did take a couple of twists and turns when DH wanted to go out to eat - but, then we ended up not going. Anyway - I was within my plan despite all the changes. DH got Jr. Frosty's for the little neighbors and didn't get one for me (yay) and it never came in the house. I think my 'enabler' comment really made him listen - Oh, I know it did. He left me a message the other day calling himself 'your dear enabler'. Now it's kind of a jolke - but, it's OK with me.

We usually hide the eggs for our little neighbors for them to find after church on Easter Sunday. DH said he would take care of filling them. Thanks, honey!

Some credits for yesterday:
planned/measured/logged food
no seconds
stretches and strengthening
lots of water
left one bite at every meal/snack
tried to eat slower
posted here
weighed - down

This morning I was down 1.5 pounds. Tomorrow will be seven weeks since my two surgeries. I gave myself 'that time' before changing my ticker one way or the other. Today I am 204... so we will see what tomorrow brings. I will change it up or down or none (if necessary) tomorrow.

billbe - credit for managing your food at the evening event. It surely can be hard. Can you plan to eat the frozen yogurt? Or would it be a trigger? The reason I don't like to take nsaid is that they can make me retain water. It's crazy - but, I have a hard time seeing that scale go up. I know.. I must just use the number as information. I work hard on not letting that number mess with my mind so much. I am better... but,not there totally.

gardenerjoy - glad to hear of this great market coming your way - that will be helpful. I agree... having nsaids to use are a gratitude (even if I gain water weight)

tazzy - sometimes trips are so challenging. Glad you didn't gain despite eating some unplanned foods! Hop back on your plan and deal with Easter as the time gets closer.

Woodland - love your approach to Kelly Clarkston's Stronger song!! Yes - cold weather will help keep me out of the garden. Learning how to live with food seems to be a lifelong process.

Everyone, have a good day.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone!

A couple of NSV that I keep forgetting to tell you. When my parents returned from Arizona I asked Mom to pick up some size 12 Dress Barn pants if she could find them on a sale rack. She brought me back 3 pairs and 2 fit perfectly, a few more pounds and the 3rd pair will fit as well. Very happy to be able to give someone a size and brand and be able to wear them. Then last night I asked DH for my spring coat and low and behold it now hangs on me, problem is I really like it and it's way too big. Guess I'll ask a seamstress friend if it's possible to take it in. I guess it's not a bad problem to have!

And another non-weight related topic. Do any of you watch Live with Kelly in the mornings. This week's shows were filmed in Banff which is a short 1 hour drive from my house. I watched yesterdays in awe of the beauty and splendor that I live in and realized I need to get outside to that area so much more than I do.

Weighed, up .4, went shopping to Costco and had a sample of honey ham, and as I put it in my mouth I thought of all of you on the board. I passed the other samples in the store after that! As BBE would say if it's not unusual or rare skip it. Now I wondering how unusual or rare a free scoop of Ben & Jerry's really is?? Did not get out on my bike as I ended up walking around Costco but will definitely try tonight as the rain and snow are predicted to arrive tomorrow.

I'll get back for personals soon.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Dear Coaches,

Woke up crying again this morning. Sometimes the anxiousness is overwhelming. Thank God for DH and DS. I do feel like I've been in a war too long. After last week with parent conflicts, principal conflicts, interviews,school board free falls with union, I just can't seem to battle back.
I so much appreciate your support.
I was telling a friend the other day that when we get that things we've always wished for from God we never imagine them coming at the SAME time as other challenges. The good with the bad, eh? An examples is struggling with my work situation while having this wonderful boy who is going to State Finals in Nature Bowl.
If I check out due to my anxiety, I also check out from him, from the beauty of life, from being of service. Just for today I will be "present" no matter what it feels like.

BBE: So comforting to know you are all listening.
Tazzy: Terrifc about the size 12. What a blessing to have clothes that fit. Everything I use to own was too small or shapeless.

Best to all.

Last edited by maryann; 04-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #20  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up

Hello Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

MaryAnn, sending supportive thoughts your way I know you have lots of support and love at home, too.

My family returns this afternoon. They are traveling right now.

I am tidying up...the rest of the carpet left here today and the remaining "old" floor is now revealed in the living room. I have proven something to myself in this process and if we determine we are going to continue I will find a way for it to be a "family project". I weighed this morning and had my usual smoothie. I'm quite hungry right now yet want to go to the library and work on the community puzzle before DH arrives. Lightbulb moment, "Debbie, have the lunch you always take to work". Simple and yummy...takes 3 min. to prepare and I'll take it with me. *credit*

I know once the fam arrives there not be "me" time for awhile.
BillBlueEyes, if it were closer I would take DH to B/J free scoop day. Thank you for the reminder I would have never known.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-03-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #21  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation change of plans

Coaches

Well I am stressed out and giving in/and taking it back/and giving in/and taking it back with the food all day. I nibbled my way through dinner as I stood over the stove preparing it. I've probably eaten all my points at the stove. I say probably as I have not added them up.... I'll go do that now...hang on; ok I have used up exactly the points I had left for the day so: the kitchen is closed. DH's dinner awaits him.

I post-poned my Ottawa trip. With the holiday weekend I'm afraid I won't be able to either see my friends or take my mom out or get the chores done. I need a regular week so I'll go next week. I have to accept that it now costs me money to visit Ottawa. I find this hard to accept. But unless I want to sleep on the floor at my friend's house (actually I do, but DH forbids it as I get too tired/worn out and stressed out to deal with bad sleep as well), ask acquaintances if I can stay over which is an unkknown situation for me (and all my acquaintances are either battling illnesses or going through a lot of stressful family stuff), or have to stay with my siblings who are hard to reach and/or it's a weird family dynamc right now so I want to just avoid them if I can &/or keep our encounters to a minimum, this leaves me with having to pay for a place to stay. Ottawa isn't cheap either. So, 3 day visits it is. That's about the max I am willing to pay for and honestly, with my mom more time spent together is not necessarily better. Her memory is pretty gone and she gets easily depressed whether I am there or not, but we do have a good time together. It's all just so different now.

So the food wasn't disconnected from the feelings today. I wasn't expecting to weigh in on Thursday as I would have been away so I doubt I will see that # under 260 this week, even though I was only 0.3 away from it last week.
I've been struggling all week.

BillBlueEyes Credit indeed for "just OK with food". Methinks it was the "free" bit of the B&J offer that was the true temptation for you. In your criteria, it was indeed rare and unusual. How did it go?

Woodland I am also into the upper limits of my foodplan and need to keep a lid on it. It can be done! Just keep moving applies to pretty much everything. Credit.

Beverlyjoy Kudos for all yur credits. that's god work and the scale is reflecting it. Credit to getting the message across to your DH about the goodies. SO GREAT he did not bring you one of those frozen treats. This is fantastic.

Tazzy Yay for your nsv's! I keep forgetting to mention that I bought size 16 pants at Costco and I can wear them as well as the XL yoga pants--they fit too. I didn't expect them to fit just yet so I know how you feel I've never been to Banff or to Alberta. I may get to Edmonton this year--looking forward to the West Edmonton Mall!

maryann Sometimes things are just hard. We can make them harder or we can be easier on ourselves. I am trying to learn this lesson too it seems. I have not had the tears but that doesn't mean they aren't there for me too, as well as the anxiety. Different issue, same reactions. Thanks for reminding me the only way out is through.

Lexxiss Your floor made me *sigh* It looks great but boy, I have to say, that sure looks like work to me! Big credit for doing the job. I was straining to look out your window, wondering what your view was like. What side of the Rockies is that house on? Kudos for acting upon your lightbulb moment re: lunch.

Bye for now.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #22  

Hi Everyone,

Just got back from my first bike ride of the season! I was debating on going but the temp was 16C and tomorrow we are expecting a 10 degree drop in temperatures and between 2 to 6 inches of snow! I wish winter would just go away.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred workout for the first time in a long time and found Level 1 easier than I remembered. Yay for getting stronger!

WI: -0.3 kgs, Exercise:+50 170/1400 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Tazzy: we get a dramatic change in weather this week, too.

onebyone: yay for you for working out when and how you need to do your Ottawa trip. I kind of enjoy staying in hotel rooms by myself -- it feels very retreat-like. Can you make that happen for you?

Lexxiss: good job making a packed lunch so that you could enjoy an activity.

maryann: sending hugs, and cheers, and concerned thoughts. What is a Nature Bowl?

Beverlyjoy: yay for seeing real changes in DH. I especially like his offer to take over the tempting part of the Easter Egg Hunt.

Woodland: went to watch Kelly Clarkson -- I like your interpretation. And I put the song on a Spotify playlist I call "Hope and Determination" and play whenever my motivation is flagging.

BillBlueEyes: hope you found a good way to deal with the Ben & Jerry's.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Meals were OK, CREDIT moi, but my snack problem has drifted to my afternoon snack from my evening snack. My regular activities are curtailed by this playing nice with my calf, so I find myself drifting toward food. Still working on it.

Thanks for all the encouragement on FREE Ben & Jerry's ice cream day. You're all right, it's hardly rare or unusual, since I can buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's from the corner store 24/7 - as well as from any of the other stores in town. So I passed, with the thought that I can always get it next year. CREDIT moi for a moment of sanity.

onebyone – That settles it, "the kitchen is closed." Ouch for the realities of your trip to Ottawa. Kudos for facing them with your eyes open.

Joy (gardenerjoy)"Yay for getting stronger!" indeed!!

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Goodbye old carpet, welcome refinished wood floors. We have one room that is carpeted because underneath is genuine plywood - construction grade, LOL.

Beverlyjoy – LOL at 'your dear enabler' - Yay for a DH who hears you. I thought of you the other day when I left some rice on my plate, remembering that you do this every meal. And now I read, "every snack" also, Kudos.

maryann - One amazing thought, "Just for today I will be "present" no matter what it feels like." Just love hearing your appreciation of your DS.

Tazzy - Super NSV, " give someone a size and brand and be able to wear them." Kudos for skipping all the other samples at Costco. Yay for a bike ride before the impending snow.

Woodland - Neat to re-interpret Kelly Clarkson's Stronger. Yep, "Just keep moving."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan Despite Food Pushers

Create a Food Pusher Mindset
To follow your plan when people suggest you do otherwise, you will need to respond to sabotaging thoughts, such as I can't make her feel bad by turning her down, or, I can't stick up for myself. Of course it's understandable that you don't want to disappoint another person, but you have to make a choice. Either potentially disappoint others and lose weight; or please them, strengthen you giving-in muscle, weaken your resistance muscle, and feel out of control, bad about yourself, and unhappy when you step on the scale. In short, disappoint yourself.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 140.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Red face

Hi Everyone,

Calorie units were good for me yesterday, but I missed my studio exercise. I wasn't willing to bear the cold, and DH and I forayed to town instead. Despite feeling like I'm half on plan lately, the scale seems to be inching downward. Today is a new day and the sun is out. I'll work on my mind and take it one day at a time.

……….. Just Keep Moving

Beverlyjoy: I'm so glad you and DH are getting on the same page about sweets. He sounds like a sweetie

Tazzy: Congrats on the pants fitting ! Great accomplishment. Your bike ride sounded invigorating.

maryann: Group hug

Lexxiss: It helps me to hear about your string of good days and your accomplishments. When mistakes are happening in my thinking, hearing about the flip side reminds me that another way is available and possible.

onebyone: It is good that you counted what you nibbled. That's being present and mindful.

gardenerjoy: You should be able to find Kelly's video on youtube. The visuals are great because it shows crowds of people dancing and interpreting the song. Their energy is powerful, along with the words.

BillBlueEyes: For your snack attacks, maybe finding the lowest calorie healthy food might allow you to have a bit more volume (for your eyes) without extra calories. A few days of this might calm down the need you feel. I was thinking watermelon or honey dew melon. It might be satisfying.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches!

Much better day today. Slept all night, woke up no tears. One of the battles I had last week was with a mom. I had called to tell her her daughter's behavior had changed dramatically and I was going to take action. Denial was the response. Yesterday, the girl was caught in the bathroom smoking pot. I can't say I am happy about it but I feel validated and wonder why I question my instincts so much. Anyway, with that suspension and a few more key suspensions, today is pretty easy. I am able to give the good kids more attention and it makes me happier. I know I am of service when I am helping the troubled ones but I always feel a failure giving less attention to the good kids. This is unreal expectations on myself. Just for today, I will take what DH calls "the gimmee" and enjoy a little peace.

Thanks for everyone's good vibes.

Gardenerjoy: Nature bowl is for primary grade kids. It is like a debate tourni with teams competing. The kids put on Enviro commercials, play Jeopardy with science questions, realays, etc. DS will do his presentation to School Board. very cute.
Lexxiss: Super congrats on floor and a healthy lunch. My "go to" philosophy now is always bring my food with me. So much cheaper and healthier.
BBE: Thoughts to you as you are grounded with the calf. Food is never far and you can't run away from it.
Woodland: inching downward is good!
Onebyone: Congrats for adjusting plans without opening the kitchen back up.

Last edited by maryann; 04-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #27  

Quick check in today before I head off to a meeting. Weighed and up 1.4, and I know why. Last night DH and I were watching some TV and I decided to have some of the malted easter egg candies I picked up the night before. Again they didn't really taste that good and only led into eating licorce all-sorts. Again not tasting that good. My bike ride did not burn enough calories to even consider eating any of those. I guess I now know that it cannot be in the house and they are not anymore now that I have eaten them.

So today being a new start I got out my tracking book and started writing down the calories. For now I'm going to go back to that method and keep as much of the processed food out of my diet. Still no desire to eat bread products which is good for me. I'm going to try and add some other carbs in, I did have oatmeal for breakfast with some yogurt and at 10am was hungry so I know having eggs is a better option to keep me full for longer. I even debated digging out the WW books but it just frustrated me last time so calorie counting for now will be the choice. Sometimes I get so tired of having to think of every single thing I put in my mouth.

The snowstorm is not supposed to hit until tonight after rain starts around 6pm, maybe I can get a quick bike ride in when I get home. I really loved being back out on it yesterday and it will take a few rides to get my butt used to it again.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi! Checking in. Busy day -

Tuesday was a healthy day, mostly - I had some extra in the evening. Before that I accompllished many of my beck goals:
including - reading my arc/rc/beck
slower eating
journalling
I weighed today and have changed my ticker to reflect my weight. It's been up and down a few pounds since right before my surgery. (really up one day - meds). I will carry on.

I have/had a very yummy healthy Easter dinner planned: lamb chops, asparagus, tossed salad, rice, & strawberries on sponge cake. Well, DH and his sister planned for the traditional wilted lettuce salad (bacon dressing like grandma used to make) and 2 pies with ice cream. *sigh* They forgot to tell me. I'll work it out. I'd love to have an easier holiday meal to be around. It's how life is - I must learn to work around it the best I can.

Hoping you've all had a healthful day. As always thanks for your support, caring and wisdom.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

Re-ordered some things in order to deal with DH's complaint that there weren't any leftovers to form the basis of his lunch. So picked a different supper that created leftovers. I still ate mostly as if I planned it that way.

WI: -0.05 kgs, Exercise:+15 185/1400 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: yay for staring down Ben & Jerry -- those are tough guys to stand up against!

Woodland: I love the dancing on the Kelly Clarkson video. I especially liked that she used people of all shapes and sizes!

maryann: good for you for recognizing an opportunity "to enjoy a little peace."

Tazzy: I find exchange programs a bit less tedious than calorie-counting. But, still, thinking about everything that goes in my mouth is pretty much part of the program. Have you ever tried the program in Beck's green book? It's kind of an exchange plan augmented with calorie-counting and emphasizes proteins. I also find the Beck approach of planning ahead remarkably helpful. If it's not written on the plan that I wrote last night, then I don't think about eating it. Well, that's not true 100% of the time, but often enough to make it useful.

Beverlyjoy: your plan for Easter sounds lovely -- especially the strawberries and sponge cake. I think I could skip the pie with that on offer. The wilted lettuce salad seems a bit more of a challenge. Could you put a little of that on top of your own tossed salad so that you get a lot more veggies in proportion to the dressing?

Hello, onebyone, Lexxiss, and anyone else happening by!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Just a good enough day; CREDIT moi anyway. Dinner had an opportunity for seconds that I turned down. Still having as issue with snack size - Ouch.

Exercise was walking to my bedroom to rest my calf elevated above my head. Not sure what good this does, but I find it rather nice to be ordered by my doctor to lie down during the day, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I absolutely love leftovers - but possibly because I eat them a little less constrained. It's difficult for me to eat, say, 3/4 of a leftover if that's the right portion for me. My DW can do that and toss the rest without a flinch.

Beverlyjoy – It's nice to have an important meal that's good quality yet simple. I don't know how to make a wilted lettuce salad.

maryann - Denial is so prevalent; BTDT absolutely blind. Kudos for graciously accepting "the gimmee."

Tazzy - I know that awful/good feeling - that the food's not there to eat any more of. Hard to think of folks having a real winter since we skipped that season down here.

Woodland - Ouch for cold blocking your studio exercise. Yep, "Today is a new day."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan Despite Food Pushers

Create a Food Pusher Mindset
It's really okay - and important! - to turn down your aunt when she urges you to fill your plate with seconds or friends who enthusiastically encourage you to order another drink. It isn't rude to turn down people if you do so in a polite way. Ask yourself, Why do I think I can't disappoint other people, but it's okay to disappoint myself?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 140-141.
Closed Thread