Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #76  

Height: 5'6"

Hello,
I am sitting here taking in the stunning scent of three delft blue hyacinthes. Magical. (They are potted and indoors.)

One by One - I hope that the soup was delicious

Gardenerjoy -- wow, all of your work has paid off and you now have "in grained" the skills to permit you to maintain your weight.

BillBE- yes, I have had the same discussion with myself. The dishwasher does a dreadful job on pb on a knife so in the past I have given it the assistance required.

Beverlyjoy- consider yourself OK after 4 surgeries and travelling. Looking forward to reading more. Your numbers are fabulous

I went out to dinner last night. I ordered sensibly. I did clean my plate. Someday I will leave something on the plate. I did take an extra piece of bread at the very end, but for me, that is pretty tame/respectable.

Bye for now

Yesterday:
Read my advantages
Read my responses
Gave myself credit
Identified hunger vs non hunger
I got back on track
I contacted my diet buddy (3 fat chicks!)
Weigh myself
Got moving planned
Fill in my food plan chart
Stopped eating when my food was gone

Need to work on:
Eating slowly, sitting, enjoying every bite
Tolerating hunger and non-hunger without eating
Recognizing fullness 20 min after eating
Calmed down before I ate
Followed my plan precisely
I used resistance techniques
Fill in cheat sheet
Got moving spontaneously
Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello All!

Had a pretty good day yesterday, weighed, read my cards, ate slowly, didn't leave a bite (but then I generally don't - I try to serve smaller portions). When I wanted something sweet it was tough as I've gotten rid of most of those things in the house, I did end up having some strawberries which are a recent new addition back into my eating plan. I did also have some dark chocolate. I did not get out for my walk after dinner as we then had a winter snow squall go through the city with some wicked winds and that was after it rained in the afternoon. Ah, the weather in Calgary, 3 different seasons in less than 3 hours.

I weighed this morning, down .8, and have been eating very mindfully as I am taking a client out for dinner and I want to be sure I don't get carried away. We are going to a new pub near my house and I have checked the online menu and think I'm going to have the Salmon Wellington. It comes with rice (which I will ask them not to serve) and seasonal veggies. I'm hoping the puff pastry is not too much outside of my plan, guess I should investigate that more closely.

Back to the work on my desk, looks like everyone is doing well.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #78  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I have read posts today and am always encouraged by our continued successes.
I have a day off today and was very grateful to get a full nights' rest...unusual for this insomniac. This morning I:
~weighed
~planned meals for the day
~worked outside
~prepared a healthy lunch
This afternoon I was going to try and rest but a friend came along and instead we walked the pups. Great because one of my goals on my "Beck Lifetime Plan" is exercise on the days I don't work. Now I can cross that off my list for today.
I'm headed to the library for some inspirational reading.

I've been trying to focus on some things to make my life easier, thus freeing "time for dieting". I ordered a second (green) Beck book so I don't have to haul my one copy back and forth when we travel. I noticed on my email that it has shipped.

Scattered...still tired....recognizing "tired" as one of my triggers. If I don't get anything else accomplished today it is good enough.

ETA-I ended up taking mom grocery shopping and ran into unexpected tastings...not my usual venue (WF/Costco). Cake was definitely involved and I remembered BBE walking straight to the section where he needed to shop. It worked...I came out unscathed. credit

Last edited by Lexxiss; 03-14-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

With the help of my brother's hot tub, I hit a new low -- the first since January 4. Now, if I can just get my exercise act together again, I'll be in good shape.

WI: -0.65 kgs (new low), Exercise:+0 445/1400 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #80  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I decided to check in before I head to bed. I am hoping that I will be able to get back to posting more frequently. catholiccajun (love your avatar) and hikergirl.

onebyone, gardenerjoy, beverlyjoy, BBE and lexxiss for meeting your mini and end goals.

My report is I am treading water so to speak. I "credit" that with the fact that I have gone through several weeks of RA flare-up, had to return to my former med schedule only to find out that it is now ineffective. I have alternated between no sleep for 36 hours to sleeping 12+ hours at a time. I have purposely been either staying up or getting up so I can at least sleep part of the afternoon and call it a "nap". All parts of me hurt.

Credit: ordering Peggy Cappy's yoga for "the rest of us" (primarily older, arthritic and overweight people---gee, that sounds just like me, who would have thought that?) My back has been just plain killing me the past several days no matter what position my body is in.

Credit:
in persisting to self-teach myself how to knit. I used to crochet decades ago but we have a prayer shawl ministry at our church and I thought the hand work would do wonders for my aching inflamed arms. Wrong! It made it worse. However, I ordered a Knitting 101, based on reviews I read, and I am determined to finish a shawl for a cancer patient here in town by Mother's Day. I picked out the softest deep lavender.

Credit: in achieving balance most days in spite of the insomnia, the body pain and the general all over discouragement from all of that. I will not quit. I am seeing this through to the end, no matter when that end will be.

Things are going very well with the other group I am leading. We are wrapping up the second challenge for this year and we will begin the third one on March 23rd. I am using the pink book as part of the challenge. It will run the length of the days listed in the pink book.

Everything less pretty much has been coming to a halt or slowed down dramatically because of the RA inflammation.

Hope everyone is well here. It sounds like you are by your posts.

Take care,

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 03-15-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #81  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default 5am hello

Hi Coaches

I find myself awake at 5am. Rare. So I figured I'd post here...maybe even beat BBE to it this morning. Not sure if I have!

I had an unexpected NSV of the BEST kind yesterday. I had to go to the Dr. to get a permission note from him so I could take the town's aquabic and aerobic classes that I bought a pass for a couple of days ago. So I had my, very very brief, appointment yesterday evening. I got the note and he decided to check my blood pressure while I was there. I needed one more prescription of B/P pills until I can get my files from my old dr. and also schedule a physical with him when we get to take a look at all things medical and me. So he said "let's just see what your b/p is. Oh crumbs I had had a very upsetting phonecall with my brother earlier in the day (basically I cannot expect any family reconciliation between my siblings. There is a deep and growing mistrust of motives going 'round and things are becoming seriously polarized. Dumb dumb dumb.) So due to this I was stressed out! And, inspite of this, my b/p is down! 140/80. Thank goodness! Last time I was 140/90 and that bottom number is the big deal to me so seeing it shift has got to do with my weightloss as it certainly did not have anything to do with feeling calm. *Credit moi* My feelings that I may yet be able to ditch the bp pills is renewed. I officially weigh-in today and am looking forward to moving past this week. It's now 2 weeks since I got back from my month away and I am starting to settle back into my own routine. What a wrench I threw into things. A great sparkly fantastic artistic wrench, but a wrench nevertheless. I feel things startng to break open for me here and with some art stuff on the horizon so this is all good.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-15-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day on my food plan 100%, CREDIT moi. Dinner was, finally, the leftovers brought back from a restaurant several days ago. I left most of the rice even though it was coated with a killer good Thai sauce. It's hard to believe that one restaurant portion satisfied me for two meals with a mound of rice thrown away.

Exercise was only the walking (CREDIT moi) when we went out last night. It's pretty unusual for us to go out on a Wednesday night, but evening snacking is so easy to avoid when I'm out and about.

onebyone – Yep, ya beat me, LOL. Congrats on that improved blood pressure - about the best NSV there is. It's so good to hear that your local art world seems to be evolving.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on the new low, though I don't know how a hot tub does that.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for "I came out unscathed. credit." I just love it when something is planned then executed - makes it sound easy.

Beverlyjoy – Lovely words, "I am ready now" - neat that it's already four weeks since your surgeries.

Pam (pamaga) – Sending supportive thoughts for the RA flare-up - Kudos for marching forth through it. Congrats for the ongoing success of your challenge program.

Tazzy - That Salmon Wellington sounds good; neat that you'll just avoid the rice altogether. LOL at "3 different seasons in less than 3 hours."

Susan (hikergirl) – Kudos for a "respectable" dinner out with a sensible order. That adds up. (I can smell your hyacinths from here.)

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
After the Event
11. Prepare for rebound desire. ... Jan was ready with this Response Card the next time she went out to dinner:
It's worth it to me to stay in control at dinner.
And I don't want to undo all of the good work I did
at dinner by overeating when I get home. I'd rather
be thinner!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 136.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #83  

Hi there. All is well. Just trying to get deeper into this calm/measured eating groove then I have to focus on staying in it. I had a good Beck day yesterday. Dinner out again tonight...I need to stay in the groove.

Your posts are inspiring. Congrats on the drop in BP to one by one.

My thought/saying for today (from Overeaters Anonymous "for today") is "Nothing can bring you peace but yourself" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bye for now.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks - yesterday was mostly healthy. I did some gardenning. What was I thinking?? (I wasn't) It made my hernia surgery ache. I panicked and ate extra. Today it feels OK. I must remind my self to be more careful.

Today I went to the store and got lots of healthy foods. I am trying foods a little more spicy. My goal is to be able to eat Billbe's wife's recipe for Pumpkin Soup. I've been thinking about making it since you posted it, Bill.

Yesterday - I logged/measured/planned my food (until I ate extra in the evening) Drank lots of water. Did my exercises. I had no seconds.

Today I am off to a good start.

I haven't done personals in a while. I'll try and get to them soon.

As always, thanks for your support.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #85  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up checkin in

Coaches

Decent-enough day today. I'll take it. Had weigh-in this morning = -0.4lbs to 262.8 Still 1.6lbs off of my lowest KW weight. Oh well... I am getting closer to it AND to being in the 250's!

*sweet*

Lots of unplanned walking today and had a restaurant meal, which was 50% successful. Still though, all is well. I feel the urge to start creating again. This is a *very* good sign.

Personals tomorrow, I promise!

g'nite.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #86  
Green Tomatoes

Managed a walk today. I hope to find the energy tomorrow for something more like a workout.

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise:+25 470/1400 minutes for March, Food: 85%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

pamatga: nice to hear from you, but sorry that the reason we weren't hearing from you was too many troubles. Knitting made me hurt, too. I did better when I taught myself to do it left-handed -- doing the "throw" part of the move with my left hand since I tend to have overuse problems on the right side of my body. I'm a beginner so it felt just as awkward to me right-handed as left-handed, I figured I would go with the awkward that caused fewer problems.

onebyone: yay for the good news on the blood pressure front. My doctor credited regular exercise even more than weight loss. I don't know if he was right, but it sure motivates my exercise!

BillBlueEyes: cool making a restaurant meal be 2+ servings. It shouldn't be that way, but if more of us act as if we know it is, that's got to make a difference. Hot tubs, for me, sweat out water weight about as good as saunas.

hikergirl: love the "calm/measured eating groove."

Beverlyjoy: yay for getting off to a good start after a disappointment in the garden -- it can be taxing work. I focus on squats and lunges all winter so that I know I'm in good shape for the garden -- and I know that you didn't have that option, so be gentle with yourself.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #87  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On plan eating day, CREDIT moi, with only a kiwi added to my evening snack. I bought a six pack at a good price and have been feeling the need to start eating them. The 46 calories would be quite OK if I planned it in advance, but spontaneous additions are a slippery slope for me - the whole six pack would be an easy evening nibble.

Very little exercise as I spent my spare time getting ready for this weekend - taking off and won't post again until Monday. Yay for the very idea of a whole weekend away from constant electronic connections.

onebyone – Yay for unplanned walking. May the creating urge blossom.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Walking is just the best.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for gardening to gladden the soul. Ouch for bodies less up for gladdening, LOL. DW served the pumpkin soup two nights ago - it seems so right on cold evenings.

Susan (hikergirl) – Thanks for "Nothing can bring you peace but yourself" - I'll take that with me for the weekend. Kudos for a good Beck day when it includes eating out.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
After the Event
12. Review the experience. Give yourself credit for everything you did right. If you made mistakes, write in your Diet Notebook (under the heading "Problem Solving for Future Special Events") what you can do to avoid future problems. If you had a positive experience, create a Memory Card describing the event, the skills you used, what you told yourself to stay in control, and how you felt afterward. These details will become your instruction manual for future real-life situations.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 137.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #88  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

A quick check in. I'm headed to Denver w/mom for an appointment. I've already weighed today and am headed down to do my morning stretches, one of my new thin for life habits. Food was pretty good yesterday and I'm still remembering to write down my daily plan and leave the paper next to the fridge. It helps. It's getting nice enough to walk outside again and the pup and I managed to get outdoors yesterday, as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #89  

Hi. Looking back at yesterday—I did well during the day and then went out to dinner. I had a plan, stuck to it for the most part, but did plunge into the breadbasket once (this even after having a fabulous meal) and dove my hand into the wrapped candy bowl on the way out. I had a fist full of candies, and true to my old form…I downed them all in the car on the way home). Well, good thing that that is over. I just reviewed my Beck Cheat Sheet --- hmmm.
Beverlyjoy: I hope that your day went well. You definitely had the right attitude
Onebyone: celebrate the spontaneous exercise and the 50% success (versus a 100% miss)
Gardenerjoy: wonderful posts (and wonderful stats)
BBE: Have a wonderful weekend.
Lexxis: so nice that you have a dog as a companion. I would love to have one, but my living situation does not permit one.
Have a great day everyone.
Hikergirl/susan
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Everyone.

Welcome to to Catholic Cajun and welcome back Hiker Girl.
I have a whole day to write for my MFA project and I have proceed to piddle around with errands. But it feels so good to hang out and get small things accomplished. My new goal is writing by 12:00.
Food Plan tracked today. Catholic Cajun and I will be sitting down and eating our food together today. It is my most difficult challenge. I have exercise planned today.
Weighed in today and I am getting nowhere with Weight Watchers. I have been doing it for 2 months and haven't seen a drop. True, I only have six more pounds to lose so maintenance is terrific. Nevertheless I want to lose those six pounds.
I like Tazzy's plan of 50 in the 50s. My goal is to weigh 150 when I turn fifty in a year. Surely that must be possible. My top weight was over 200 pounds. I have lost the last with Beck. So perspective, gratitude and perseverance.

Last edited by maryann; 03-16-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Closed Thread