Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #196  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Acting on today's quote (in advance), I set out to "Do errands." Saw I could make it across the street without waiting for the next light if I just ran. So I did. Ouch! Calf wasn't happy; I've got to get this patience thing under control. Motivated me to actually 1)spend some time in bed resting, 2) with leg elevated, and 3) faithfully take the Ibuprofen prescribed. Hope I'm never actually sick since I appear to be a lousy patient, LOL.

Food was better than my patience, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Indeed, 3.2 ounces is like the breath of a hair. I trust the jeans-o-meter test by your "weird $3 jeans."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I also hate that "over-full feeling" that is part of my history with all eating out and festivities.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I'm exhausted just reading how much work you're doing. LOL at selling the floor boards. Kudos for doing a small Starbucks cup - musta shocked the barista.

Beverlyjoy – I admire you diligence dealing with real ankle stuff; I need to follow your example.

maryann - Ouch for an unwanted conflict with the principal (which some unforgotten teacher taught me how to spell some zillion years ago by "the principal is your 'pal' "); Kudos for not digging into chocolate over it.

Tazzy - Kudos for diligence working on your food plan to get it where you want. It's still progress to hover "around the same number." I'm delighted to have to expand my assumed meaning of 'number' per, " it's a weird feeling to have a number upper thigh!" Have a great weekend with your brother.

Woodland - Yay for the spontaneous exercise of gardening. Kudos for the exercise in taking away bad power, "By counting food calories it feels like I'm taking away its power to seem bad or sneaky."

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Glad that fruit fast is over - doesn't appeal to me (unless it was bananas. Or mangoes. OK, maybe oranges. Or pineapple. Or grapes or apples or pears or plums or apricots or peaches. hmmmm . . . actually sounds kinda nice, LOL). S'wonderful, "I feel calm and centered and peaceful."

Susan (hikergirl) – Kudos, Kudos, Kudos for breaking the notion that a slip MUST begin a long plunge. That's a huge step.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan on Weekends
weekend skills

Get out of the house. Structure your time, particularly in the beginning, to keep yourself from milling about in the kitchen. Plan to meet someone for a walk. Go on a family outing. Spend time doing yard work. Do errands.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 139.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Smile

Hi Everyone,

Thursday was pretty good here in windy Colorado. I baked in the morning (bread and crackers), then worked in the greenhouse. My dog doesn't like hanging out with me there, so he runs to other parts of the yard and barks instead. I got a lot of spontaneous exercise chasing him down.

Food was food and I ate less than usual. I got to experience hunger a few times. I was thinking about incorporating a day now and again where I don't count calories, but instead eat based on feelings of hunger. I'd probably eat less that day, so I think I'll try it!

-----------

Beverlyjoy: Credit for recognizing what brought on desire for food comfort. I hope your ankle is feeling better.

hikergirl: Good for you getting on the scale despite some mistakes. Glad you came back and continue post with us. I like the format of your signature information.

maryann: Yeah for deciding to write and ski. Sounds very cozy and invigorating at the same time. Very good thought "There is nothing flashy or immediate about it."

onebyone: Smaller clothes are good to have. It always amazed me when I was losing how I could fit into things that didn't fit before. Some times if I have the time, I enjoy trying on clothes at the stores. It helps gauge progress without having to buy too much. Congrats on your 260 accomplishment !

fyreflie24: lol, we are the starting over crew, aren't we? It is such an important skill to develop.

Tazzy: I always lost nicely at 1500-1600 depending on exercise allowances. Have a great weekend!

gardener joy: Credit for being careful when eating out.

Lexxiss: Your floor sounds like quite an accomplishment, both for the product itself, and your ability to maintain your Beck skills through the process. Great Job !!

BillBlueEyes: Credit for recognizing that even more patience is needed for your leg's sake. I'd like an excuse to nap during the day !
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #198  

Height: 5'6"

hi. I am here. Thanks for your support. Trying to get into the groove and have some success (oh, my why does it seem so "all or nothing").

Maryanne, yes, we do seem to have very similar numbers etc.

All, so far now "that is all she wrote".
Susan
Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Quick hello as I just read a quote in one of my industry magazines and although it wasn't about weight loss I thought it applied. Diminishing Intent - Consider that if you don't act on an intention within a 48 to 72 hour window, you may lose it. I think that applies outside of a business world application.

BBE Guess I should have proof-read my post. A "numb" upper thigh would be a more appropriate statement. Wonder what number I would have assigned it.

Happy Weekend all! Let's hope spring is really here.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #200  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Tazzy: I'm doing Baptiste yoga and it's been just amazing. If you go to www.baronbaptiste.com there are a ton of DVDs and I'm happy to answer any questions that I can. He's very into making yoga accessible to all and I love that there are so many different body types at my studio. Wish I'd found this when I was heavier and felt I had to postpone practice until I lost more weight.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #201  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Hello all. A quick hello. Overate a little last night, we had boiled crabs and it's hard to stop eating once you start, they are soooo good. Will be having more tonight. Will write more later.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #202  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Well the first coat went on this afternoon, I have 2 more (2 am) and after work tomorrow. I am upstairs hiding. I have to walk on a plank off the stairs to the unfinished area and yoga step out the front door walk around to the back door to enter the kitchen. It makes unplanned snacking rather complicated. I will, however, go down and make my planned dinner. credit. All this work, I am down and maintaining my ticker weight. I wanted to check in. I think a cat nap will be in order.

BBE, I hope you are resting that foot! There are all kinds of things to do while propped. I hope you find something interesting.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi! My friend came over to help me in the garden yesterday. (Thursday) I am faced with beds full of creeping charlie and weedy lamium. She dug up all the plants in two flower beds and put each plant in my lap. I picked and pulled the weeds from the plants & soil. I loved getting my hands in the dirt and didn't have to stand for any of it. (However.. I didn't like the weeds.) Each plant is now potted where I 'll watch for those weeds before replanting the plants. Now - this means 'war' on each flower bed to erradicate the weeds. It's some of the best fun I've had in the garden for a while.

Food choices were so, so. I wasn't willing to stay with my plan. But - I am checking in. I will strive to do better. I've kind of lost my umph. However, I will not run away.

Thanks to all for your support and kind words for my ankle and thoughts for my food struggles. My ankle is doing better today (Friday).

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-30-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #204  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Joyful activity was a trip to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts to see their exhibit Seeking Shambhala. Shambhala is a mythical land hidden behind snow covered peaks (popularized as Shangri-La by the book Lost Horizon). Neat to see 17th century Tibetan thankas carefully rehung on new silk.

Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, with minor exercise as I try to stay off my calf. Took my Ibuprofen, CREDIT moi, and rested my foot elevated. Had a strong urge to grab some nuts when I felt annoyed about my calf; didn't; CREDIT moi.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Blimey! Good strategy, me bucko - make the kitchen nearly inaccessible to prevent unplanned snacking without walking the plank.

Beverlyjoy – Best gardening story ever - great friend to help you do that. Yep, don't run away; I need to watch your courage just to keep on track with my minor calf thing.

Tazzy - Love the "Diminishing Intent" quote - works that way for me. In fact, I use it usefully when I encounter a great buy on the Internet - such as a Groupon; I leave the page open while I do other stuff and let the diminishing intent reduce my desire to buy something I don't need.

Woodland - Yay for spontaneous dog chasing. Neat idea to try Intuitive Eating for your eating plan. There's a thread on 3FC with folks doing that. I've tried it, but found my intuition with respect to hunger is seriously broken. Look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Interesting to design a yoga for the non-slim. I've felt the embarrassment of hands on my knees when the instructions were to touch the feet and, for those who can, grab the toes.

Susan (hikergirl) – Yep, "all or nothing" is one of the great Thinking Errors. Have used it a bunch myself.

CatholicCajun – Remember that some of us can't overeat crabs because we can't break in fast enough, LOL. I had a loving aunt who kindly tossed chunks of crab meat on my plate while I labored, labored, labored, one claw at a time.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan on Weekends
weekend skills

Create and use a non-foods rewards list. If you tend to splurge on Saturdays and Sundays because of sabotaging thoughts such as, I worked so hard during the week ... I deserve to kick back and relax on the weekends, then find non-food-related ways to reward yourself for your hard efforts. Consider taking a nap, relaxing in a hammock or hot bath, or getting a massage.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 139.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #205  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Smile

Hi Everyone,

Quick check in for me today. My eating experiment went ok yesterday, but I do think I prefer to know the calories numbers most of the time. It is more reassuring and keeps guilt at bay.

Exercise was my recumbent bike, in-and-out of the car for garage sales, and more planting/yard work. I found some good trays that I needed to put under my plant flats, and a cool stainless steel zig-zag cutter for making my cracker edges more interesting.

I'll be away from my computer for 2 nights, so I'll talk to you all again next week. I hope your weekends are Beckful and healthy.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Up in Tahoe this morning. It is beautiful and blustery. We are supposed to get some skiing snow today but it has yet to materialize. I am trying to write. I have a plan for today and if I finish it i might treat myself to some sushi tonite.
The week at school continued to be challenging. Friday at 4:15 I had my sabbatical interview. I felt vulnerable, afraid and resentful explaining myself but that didn't translate into eating - credit. I told myself as I climbed the mountain I was leaving it all behind.
BBE: Love to see Shangri la.
Lexxiss: Congrats on ticker weight. I change or don't change my ticker tomorrow. I hope for a good number.
Woodland: outdoor work sounds freeing to me right now.
Beverleyjoy: I really don't feel like following a food plan either. Like you, I am hanging in there holding on for willingness.
Best to all.

Last edited by maryann; 03-31-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I am checking in... Friday was better. I planned my food - didn't stay with the plan very well -and - everything else was a bit half-hearted. What do they say??? - 'if it's going to be, it's up to me."

I am moving forward!! Thanks everyone.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #208  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Last Saturday of March in 2012

Hello Coaches

Lots of walking chasing down bargains today. Finally bought a garbage can. I had huge resentment paying $ for a garbage can--a step can. Two bonuses ago I told DH he is buying me the can of my dreams. Today we bought an odd oval shaped one, which satisfied my need for a special-enough-can-for-the-money. It was on sale and further reduced.

DH and I are both signed up for a 5K walk on June 3rd. It's a WW challenge thingy. It says it's 45min of walking. We walked about 2 hours today, but that was unofficially. I have a training schedule and everything which I think we'll officially start when I get back from Ottawa next weekend.

Food has been challenging and I have had a couple of points shockers after the fact. Luckily, my program could absorb the shocks and I made sure I upped the exercise and did not continue with the eating once I knew where I stood, food consumption wise, for the day. I am determined to see a number below 260 next week.

Going now--I am worn out. Bye!

Last edited by onebyone; 03-31-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #209  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in just to let you know I'm around! Busy with a weekend blogging activity. Fun and wild and some of it is out of my comfort zone. Been dealing with desires to have my comfort foods to compensate but have resisted and will continue to do so.

Thanks for being here!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #210  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the April 2012 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...ddy-coach.html

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread