Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #151  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Final Friday of February/my final friday being here in KW

Hello Coaches

Credit:
-Rode bike to post office and back yesterday. Was wobbly for first 15/20minutes but haven't riden in years. And this bike has brakes not on the handle bars but you break with the pedals like I did when I was 8. Front tire was a little flat too. Nevertheless I presisted in victory and made it to the post office to pay *gasp* 85cents to send one postcard. I had 5. I thought the stamps should be 25cents. Sign of getting old methinks.

-Went for a walk to the art show opening for the distinguished artist in residence next door to discover the wrong date and day was printed on the card. Methinks the same folks who printed my impossibly screwed up business card must have done these things as well. Opening is tonight, same time, same place, but alas I will be at Big Pine Key enjoying a poetry reading by Leonel Valle, who I am thrilled to be meeting as I have enjoyed his book of poems during my stay called Keys Latitude. Here's a sample:

Florida Keys

The Keys disappear
in the transparent distance
of a watercolor illusion.

From the prow of the skiff
they appear like small dogs,
a pack of green hounds,

running along the edge
of a crystal horizon
suspended between
turquoise sea and sky.

The Keys are like
india ink drops
on the edge of
a forgotten book

left behind where
we loved so much
before this savage
exile split us apart.

--Leonel Valle
Keys Latitude- Poetry of the Florida Keys

My sister knows him well as they are in the same writing group. I am really looking forward to this evening.

-And I went swimming this morning! Finally. I was unable to truly swim though as the water had an abundance of, no, not just waves, but SURF! I have never swum where the water had "surf" before.

-And I just found out that the husband of my sister's friend who took me to the beach holds the patent with another guy for...are you sitting down?... the pixel! We would not be here right now without those guys.

Ok *head is swimming* time to get some work done before we head out.

Food is ok btw but getting a bit looser as in I am eating larger amounts. I am tracking but need to keep an eye on my intake. Choices are still fine, it's the quantity.

*wave* have a great day.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #152  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I'm having a tough day with my arm and am just about to call it quits. I passed on water aerobics this morning (not like my usual self) and stayed home to persist in paperwork. I got much accomplished but the hand is tired of typing. I overcame a major calling for bad food by going to Starbucks for their new SF mocha. It was good and the pastries did not return with me. I am going to try to relax this afternoon.

Kim(tchermom), Welcome!

BillBlueEyes, great you resisted that trail mix!

Erika(eusebius), glad you are feeling better today. I sure felt for you but had no words of wisdom. Not having kids, I have no idea about the complexities of the relationships you mentioned.

onebyone, glad you biked and swam.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good evening everyone,

I had a pretty good day today. Not 100% on the no sugar/no starches but feeling good about my choices. Was going to have my eggs and cheese for breakfast with spinach but when I went to make DH and DS breakfast smoothies the bananas in the bowl last night had disappeared. Found out DS had a banana split at 10pm last night! At least it was a healthy one because there was no ice cream in the house So the smoothies became strawberry only and I made way too much so that became my breakfast too. I did find I was hungrier sooner than when I eat the eggs. Had salad with leftover sausage for lunch and devilled eggs for my afternoon snack. I made a pasta sauce with lots of veggies and hamburger for dinner and did have a small serving of spaghetti with it. Just got home from grocery shopping and looked at a lot of carb counts on items and put them right back on the shelf. I think I did find a good alternative when I want something sweet, I picked up 2 boxes of Atkins bars and just tried the coconut bar, it is incredible, with the dark chocolate the smaller serving is very satisfying and only 3g of carbs. I also got the latest Atkins book from the library today and am going to start to read it to get more meal ideas. I'm not sure I'll follow the plan exactly but will customize it for me.

Weighed this morning and down another 1, 2 more to go to pre-cruise weight . Have not read my cards for a long time, I have to go and figure out where they ended up after I unpacked from the holiday.

BBE The last time I cruised was in 1996 and I think I had sea-legs for almost 2 weeks after. I was quite worried about this trip as I get motion sick really easy on cruises. I ended up taking the OTC medication Bonine once a day and had no issues at all. Felt a little wobbly the first full day on the ship and noticed it once the night we got home when I got up during the night to use the bathroom. Otherwise it's been great. I think the technology on stability on cruise ships as come a long ways in 15 years. Would possibly consider another cruise vacation if it wasn't for the long line ups for everything. After seeing Honduras, DH and I are thinking a land based holiday there looks really appealing for our next big one. It's usually every 3 years that we do that.

Lexxiss Credit for leaving the pastries at Starbucks! Can't eat them if you don't have them.

onebyone Yeah for bike riding and ocean swimming. I know what you mean about swimming in currents, waves and surf. We sure don't have those issues swimming in Alberta! It's the undercurrents that make me so nervous when I'm in the ocean. Hope you enjoy your poetry reading! How is your DH doing without you at home?

eusebius Do you find that evenings are hard for you all the time? I notice when I don't eat enough during the day that I seem to need to fill myself up at night. Love the idea of putting trail mix or any snacks on a Do Not Call List. Wish that list worked for all the telemarketers who still seem to call my house! Thank goodness for caller ID, would really hate to get any spontaneous exercise having to get up and answer a phone call that I don't want.

Beverlyjoy Glad all is going well from your surgery. Take your time in recovery. When I had major surgery I figured I should be able to do things much quicker because all I could see from the outside was an incision and staples. Didn't remember how much had happened while they had me cut open and how long that would take to heal. Congrats on the upcoming arrival of a new little girl. Just had my first great niece on Dec 22, such a joy to have little ones around again.

tchermom Have a great weekend.

maryann I know exactly what you mean by a day "off". My DH wanted a day to himself after the vacation and went back to work a day after me. I mentioned to a friend that he was doing that and she wondered when I got a day like that. Even if I had one I'd still think there was a ton of stuff that I should be working on and would find it very hard to just sit and relax and live in the moment. Probably a skill we could all use some practice on!

Well we are supposed to be getting a winter storm this weekend. DH and I have an agreement that he and/or the boys shovel the snow as 3 years ago I wrenched my back and sciatic nerve shovelling heavy, wet snow and after using muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories for 6 - 9 months my doctor forbid me from snow shovelling. Can't say I argued that one. Lucky for us when my parents downsized we got the snow blower. Has made life for DH much easier in the dark of winter.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #154  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was on-plan, CREDIT moi, including dinner at a restaurant with DD and her BF. And there, I left stuff on my plate, an extra CREDIT moi, since I planned to do that being aware that I'm a charter member of the get-your-money's-worth club. In swapping food at the table, I came to own a single fish taco from which I ate the fish inside and left the tortilla itself. That was a good choice, even though the fish was fried instead of grilled as I had assumed.

Walking, CREDIT moi, was to Whole Foods to replace my stock of peanut butter and roasted soy nuts.

onebyone – Ouch for 85 cents to send a postcard from the US to Canada. Someday the postal systems of both countries will admit that the costs shouldn't be the same as from here to Australia. Kudos for making biking and swimming a reality.

Erika (eusebius) – Congrats on your continuing C25K progress with Kudos for focusing on staying in the moment instead of fretting the next week. [Just LMAO at adding trail mix to the "do not call" list - definitely what I need.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for the arm out of action - hope that heals quickly. I continue to smile every time I see your new smiling avatar.

Beverlyjoy – Yay that recovery allows some stretching and walking - you're moving forward.

Tazzy - LOL at the memories at our house of coming down to breakfast and finding massive quantities of food missing into teenagers after we'd gone to bed. Kudos for being flexible with your own breakfast in response.

Kim (tchermom) – Kudos for sitting down - it blew my mind to find out how much I ate standing, including walking from the stove to the table. And even more Kudos for confronting the "start over Monday mentality" in advance.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Before the Event
1.0 Change your mindset. . . .
Do you have the unhelpful deprivation mindset I described on pages 45-46? A typical sabotaging thought is, It's so unfair that I have to deprive myself. If you think you might have that thought, make sure you continue to read the Response Cards that you made on pages 99-100. And create this new one, too:
I'm going to be deprived, not matter what. Either I'm
going to be deprived of eating whatever I want at this
special occasion OR I'm going to be deprived of being
thinner, being healthier, feeling better about myself,
being less self-conscious, being proud of myself,
having more energy, and feeling good when the event
is over!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 133.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckies/coaches/friends:

Yesterday was a healthy day. I did eat foods from all the different food groups. I didn't do well with a fresh apple. So, I'll stick with applesauce for a few days. Today I am planning to do my stretches. I accomplished some of my healthy living goals planned/measured/logged food, lots of water, left a bite, took a few deep breathes before each meal/snack, went to grocery & picked up a few healthy foods, and did some extra dusting & moving. I am still really tired, but, the doctor says I'll get my stamina back as time goes on.

Billbe - credit for maneuvering your supper to a healthy one. Not always so easy to do.

Tazzy - sounds like you are getting back to regular meals. It’s a douse of reality after a vacation we all go through. I am so happy you are losing the vacation weight. Carry on.

Lexxiss/Debbie
- credit for walking away from the ‘goodies’ at Starbucks. I am sorry to hear of your arm problems.

Onebyone
- credit for your wonderful bike ride! And, you went swimming too. Such great exercise. Thanks for that nice poem.

Erika - major credit for resisting eating even though your stomach was shouting 'I want some food'. Kudo’s for following through on your exercise too.

Tchermom - so many credits. Yes, every day we follow through… it helps build the foundation for incorporating these healthy habits in our lives. Carry on. So glad you posted.

Maryann
- a am doing a happy dance in honor of your pound down. Remember - one pound is four sticks of butter! Good reminder to yourself and me too…. Giving ourselves credit is important.

Gardener/joy - I am always happy to see that you generally read your advantage cards, etc. It’s an important piece of the puzzle… really, no matter how the day goes.

I want to thank you all for your continued support and encouragement during this surgery time. (and always, really)

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-25-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Talking Happy Happy

I'm doing the happy dance this morning! The cruise weight is gone and I've been home for less than a week. Now I can focus on my next goal just need to figure it out.

Last edited by Tazzy; 02-25-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
Tracked my food yesterday. Credit.Continued with organizing and cleaning mostly because it diverts me from writing. Whatever - my husband is happy. Filmed DH playing clarinet in school rally. In the afternoon he was in the finals of the spelling bee, going down in the third round on the word "February". Basketbal at night. What full beautiful days he has and I get to watch.
I allowed myself to lay on the coach and stared for two hours in the afternoon. I kid you not. I didn't sleep or read or do anything. I looked out the window. I really need quiet and alone to stay mentally healthy. Finally by evening I got to writing and made significant progress.
Today I have to finish my paper - no more cleaning.

Tazzy: I noticed this morning - we have the same goal weight. Lets walk across the finish line together! That would be terrific.

BBE: Credit leaving stuff on the plate. My favorite quote that drives my husband crazy is "Wasted on the plate or wasted on my body."

Beverley: Credit for getting the food groups. It really does make a difference having quality food in my system.

onebyone: the bike is a huge deal. What freedom to try new things in the spirit of adventure.

lexxiss: i hope you had a great afternoon relaxing. Having a physical element is so troubling.

Last edited by maryann; 02-25-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #158  
Green Tomatoes

Still struggling with getting food plans made. Also exercise, although I pulled off a good number of minutes today. Also writing. It's funny how all the important things for me to be doing fall apart at once sometimes. A busy day tomorrow, but I have a plan for food, exercise, and writing.

WI: -0.15kgs, Exercise:+75 1020/1300 minutes for February, Food: NA %op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, tchrmom!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #159  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - 100% on-plan eating, CREDIT moi. Did gym, CREDIT moi. When the time came for a walk with DW, the wind was blowing snow horizontally. No kidding. The wind remained, but the snow lasted only a few minutes - just until we both had found other ways to occupy ourselves.

Keeping evening snack to exactly one orange was made easier because we went out to see the play, Wild Swans [Three Daughters of China] - the remarkable story of three generations of Chinese women by Jung Chang. The production made us tremble at the absurd power of the Red Guard during the Great Cultural Revolution.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I recognize the part where all things fall apart at once, but can't figure out which is the keystone. And if I knew that, I'd try to put the keystone back in first, which would hardly work.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for feeling strong enough for shopping and dusting.

maryann - Kudos for knowing that you need quiet time, and then taking it. I love, "Wasted on the plate or wasted on my body" - perhaps I can work harder remembering it next time I've reached satisfied. (Congrats to your DS anyway, methinks February is itself misspelled, LOL.)

Tazzy - So, the sea legs walked away with the cruise weight - sounds good to me.

Readers -
Quote:
Before the Event
2. Consult your Memory Box. Earlier in the day, read through the cards in your Memory Box. These memories can help motivate you for the upcoming event as you remember compliments and situations in which you were proud of yourself.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #160  

S/C/G: 146/144/118

Height: 5"2

Hi everyone! I did run for 30 minutes yesterday but ate off plan in the afternoon. We did go out to dinner and I went back on plan instead of restricting like I normally do so... I read my cards but not until after my off plan eating-I am so resitant sometimes! Well today is a new day and I have a plan now I just need to put my diet first and plan for the week.

We are leaving for Fla. on Thurs for five days for a family vacation-to go to Spring training and I am already stressing about my plan. I also tried on summer clothes yesterday and it was not good. I was about 10lbs thinner this time last year. Running to church -be back later!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, All.

I am off to yoga this morning. Worked hard last night and wrote 14 pages. Whew. I still have 20 by Thursday but it is a start. Food went a little wonky yesterday in the writing process. I woke up and tracked the points s0 I am still within the week's limits.

gardenerjoy: I just read an article about an analogy to organizing a life according to the most important goals one has. To fill a jar, you have to put the "big rocks" in the jar first. Then put in the sand and the gravel. Vice versa and you'll never get the big rocks in. I also find I stop putting all my big rocks in at once and am left with days of nothing of substance.

BBE: Every time we hold an election in this country without tanks in the street, I tell my students to be grateful.

Tchermom: If you need to buy a few more summer clothes for right now, buy them. That is what I did. Learning new food habits takes time. It is worth it. Fighting a food addiction is a long race and it starts with accepting who you are now and giving yourself credit. Not waiting till your perfect and then giving yourself credit.

Best to all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-26-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #162  
Green Tomatoes

I got it all together today -- exercise, food, and writing. Thanks to a canceled plan in the afternoon that freed up time for everything, but I'll take it!

WI: +0.35kgs, Exercise:+105 1125/1300 minutes for February, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for the keystone image -- that's very helpful! And funny.

tchrmom: love the idea of going to Spring Training!

maryann: yes, big rocks first. Thanks! That's another helpful image. I share with you and BillBlueEyes a deep appreciation for peaceful transition of power. I love Inauguration Day every four years for that reason whether or not my candidate won.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #163  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough with food, CREDIT moi, especially since lunch was a buffet and dinner was at the home of friends. We walked, CREDIT moi, to our friends' house in the dark despite the cold. It felt good - the neighborhood was very quiet. We were directed to bring absolutely nothing to the dinner, but DW tried to bring a token box of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies, which the hostess sent home with her; you'd have thought we had run into someone doing Beck with their own eating plan, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for everything together, with keystone in its rightful place. I just love when I'm clicking.

maryann - Kudos for "14 pages" - I suspect that even Shakespeare had to write one page at a time. I am moved that you remind your students that a peaceful transition of power is a wonder worth being grateful for.

Kim (tchermom) – Yep, the old resistance raises up like it was there first, LOL. If you're near Fort Meyers, kindly check out the Red Sox; we've got some problems to overcome.

Readers -
Quote:
Before the Event
3. Develop an eating plan. After you read the cards in your Memory Box and fortify your resolve, decide what you are going to eat at the event. In Stage 4, you will learn how to be more flexible with your eating, adding your snack calories to a special meal if you like. But for now, I would like you to figure out what you are going to eat based on the Think Thin Initial Eating Plan and your Special Event Calories rule.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 146/144/118

Height: 5"2

Good morning everyone! Not so great on the personals yet but I'll get there. Yesterday was OP and I did exercise just with weights ONLY because I had it scheduled in my day. I feel like i ate well but I was up .8 this am and I know it is probably salt intake from my salad (ate out) so I need to relax. This is the part of me that either throws in the towel or changes my plan. My plan is not the problem it is my head that is the problem

So instead of repeating the same mistake over and over-the def. of insanity-I will follow the plan, go to zumba, write down my thoughts, read my cards and take it on day at a time.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #165  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I've been caught up in live action...we traveled home last night and I'm off to work again. It's been a tumultuous few days and I'm doing my best to hang in there. My arm/hand is still not cooperating (neither is DH) but I'm hopeful...keeping my typing to a minimum. Fortunately, it's not my dominant (waitress) hand. Yesterday was just plain ol' "off". I'm back on track and have plans for a good day.
I know I need a credit here; *credit* for taking the high road this morning and not feeding more fuel to DH's grumpy mood. I do believe that my actions today will help ME stay OP with food even as I acknowledge it's not affecting him right now.

Take care everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 02-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Closed Thread