Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Happy New Year

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Managed OK at two events celebrating the New Year, CREDIT moi, not great, just OK. I spend a bunch of time giving myself credit for the stacks of food I'm avoiding even as I dip into some that aren't on my plan. The existence of too, too, too much food, seems able to mask that I've only planned for, what looks like, a very small portion. Celebrating that the eating season is done!!

Got in a brisk walk, CREDIT moi, to go snag a host gift for last night's party. Walking after dark is its own special treat. Always admire the houses lit up as happy places.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on your stats for 2011 - you had a good year.

Erika (eusebius) – Well stated, " Still, it was not a pig-out" - always good to remember how we used to eat.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for your usual lunch of PBBBB samish. I drool each time. Kudos for hopping off your recumbent bike to go spend a shift on your feet sans French fries.

Beverlyjoy – Ouch for the "boomerang effect" - I had that when I got home last night (i.e. this morning) thinking Time for my evening snack, LOL. "Phooey" indeed!

FutureFitChick – Kudos for stepping back to look at your hunger levels when eating. Reviewing the early sections of the Beck books always helps me.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8
Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
Don't worry, I'm not going to just tell you to stick to your plan without teaching you how to do it. I'm going to provide you with 11 Resistance Techniques so you will know exactly what to do when temptation strikes. You have been practicing many of these techniques since you started working on Success Skill 6: overcoming hunger, cravings, and emotional eating. How do you get good at following your plan? Practice, practice, practice! The more you practice, the easier these techniques will become.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 95.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #3  

Happy New Year! Coaches/Buddies

Yesterday was a bad day food wise. I made a Greek salad with black eyed peas for the brunch at a friend's house. It was full of carbs. I ate too much at the meal, including taking seconds and including the chocolate with peppermint that didn't even taste that good. I ate the remaining salad when I got back home.

I need to say oh well and move on to my plan and tap my support networks.

Back to Beck and the idea of giving yourself credit.

After several hours of the First Night celebration three of us ended up starving and craving a drink. We went to Pincho, the bar in back of the Ponce de Leon hotel. I noticed how everyone else was eating. L who seems naturally thin had one drink and ate one vegetarian tapas slowly. She had only one piece of bread. V and I who both could stand to lose a few had two drinks and many slices of bread dipped in herbed dipping sauce. I had meatballs and shared a bit but vacuumed the rest down. I am going to say *credit me* for noticing, and *credit me* for making a digital response card this morning about giving myself credit.

up .8

BBE: Credit for doing "just OK". It could be so much worse.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Happy New Year!

I brought my new year in with a healthy day yesterday & many credits. I am so grateful. I accomplished many of goals: planned/measured/logged food, lots of water, stretches & strengthening, journaling, ate seated only, slower eating, mindful of taste, read my Beck info, got rid of unhealthy foods from the holidays and always left a bite of food on my plate.

I lost 8 pounds last month. It seems surreal - but, I am grateful.

I got on the scale today and it said I am up a pound. I was upset... had to get on and off (a no no) to see. I have not eaten enough extra in the last few days to have gained any weight. It's just information, it's just information, it's just information.... I keep telling myself.

I've made our traditional saurkraut and pork for the new year. Instead of mashed potatoes... we are having it on some baked potato. Credit!

DH visited our aunt at the ICU in the hospital. He only stayed ten minutes. She was sitting in the chair. I am so, so grateful. She has a long way to go. She wants to live long enough to see her last grandson get married on May 5. I hope that incentive will pull her through this episode. She's on oxygen... but, has refused the ventilator. Thanks for your positive thoughts and prayers.

Today we are putting away all the Christmas decorations and treasures. I love having the house full of special things for the month.

billbe - I am celebrating the end of the eating season right along with you. I love the piece from the Beck book today - there are those techniques to use to learn to eat/live with sanity.

maplover - you are so right... your time of overeatin is over now. Hop right back on your plan. Good for you and giving yourself credit!!!

Have a great day folks.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

It seems like so long since I checked in here. Took awhile to catch up on all the postings. New Year's Eve was okay for me, we don't get into the party scene for it and most year's I'm asleep when the time comes. Did manage to still be awake last night but headed to bed about 10 minutes past midnight. Had our traditional chinese food meal and although I concentrated on mostly the veggies the scale is up this morning and certainly was expected.

I'm in the process of trying to decide if I want to continue with the PINK Method plan or go back to calorie counting. PINK is very restrictive in what you can eat, what you have to do for exercise and has a very low calorie count every day. In the first phase I was eating between 700 - 800 per day and although I was not craving things I don't consider this healthy for long term and I need to have a plan that is a lifestyle change. I can take some of the components and use them with calorie counting like eliminating refined and processed foods, eating more plant based proteins etc. I really need to make a decision because there is a 30 day money back guarantee and that's next week for me. Also as strange as it sounds even though I lost 8.2 pounds in one week (exercise is not allowed then - not enough calorie intake) I know the majority is fluid and I actually feel more flabby than before I started with the lack of exercise. I guess proving to me that the number on the scale is not the best representation for success.

I also had another revelation over the holidays. I was washing dishes one day and happened to see the Dr Oz show, he had a woman on there who was over 700 pounds and on a mission to become the heaviest woman in the world. And she seemed quite pleased with her decision and could not see (or refused to) the consequences to her health because currently she does not have diabetes or high cholesterol etc. To me it was an extremely sad story and I thought of how frustrating it must be to even contemplate trying to lose that amount of weight. And it was at that moment that I realized that I have less than 15 pounds to go for my goal and never in my life have I come that close. I'm very proud of what I have accomplished this past 18 months and joining this group last August was one of the best things I could have done. You have all been so helpful and encouraging and I have learned so much from all of your posts.

On that note, credit to everyone for all of your positive behaviors and I wish you all the very best, healthy, happy and prosperous New Year!

Last edited by Tazzy; 01-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Happy New Year Everyone

Coaches!

DH and I were at his sister's for New Year's Eve last night. We last celebrated NYE a few year's ago in Atlantic City with my sister and her DH. Comparing the two, last night was *quiet*. Well, they live in a town of 2000 people, and pretty rural, with not one but FOUR local dairies full of local butter and cheese! Guess what was presented to us? Yes! Local cheeses. *sigh* Coaches, I just did badly yesterday. I bought snacky things for the trip, not bothering to even try to limit my choices. We stopped and picked up booze for the evening too and I had two drinks and two glasses of wine. I usually don't drink anything. It's just not a good idea for me.

I just feel like I did everything wrong and I felt *defeated* with a "why bother?" attitude.

I think the feelings came from not sticking to my plan over Xmas. I was still up from having been so close to the 260's to see me whiz past all that into 276 and now, this afternoon, I saw 281.

DH is cooking a pizza in the oven as I write this.
My kitchen is in complete chaos and I am not sure how to deal with this situation. I think I need to remember that as of right now, right this minute, I am ON TRACK. I can CHOOSE to stay on track. What bothers me is why do I even debate this? In four days I will be rid of the bloat that constitutes much of this 9lb gain from my low of 272 nine days ago. I guess I need to let go the notion that I will be -25lbs down from my high by the time I leave for Key West on Jan 9th. I am just feeling like I have to postpone, and put off, and let go of all my goals and re-assess them. BUT doing this doesn't mean I won't actually reach them. I just don't happen to feel like accepting my reality right now or accepting responsibility. How did I end up feeling like this?

Well, maybe I can get past this tonight and put it behind me. Wouldn't that be fantastic if my only struggle with these feelings was for one day only in 2012?

Thanks coaches for all your support last year and for being here in 2012!

UPDATE: calculated the points for dinner and ate what was ok on my plan and am going to end my dinner with a Florida orange and some tea. So, THE KITCHEN IS CLOSED!

Here's to a great year where we meet the goals we set for ourselves and more Here! Here!

Last edited by onebyone; 01-01-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #7  

Am accessing this through my IPhone. Who knew? But this will limit my ability to respond individually. Just wanted to say I had a good day today but am now facing my challenging time: post dinner. Will reread my advantages and response cards! Thx for being there. Tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #8  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Gah!!! I lost a great long post - that will teach me to compose posts in the 3FC reply window. Anyway, I had a good day and it sounds like most of you did too.

One thing I am going to retype is this - BillBE was talking about "too, too, too much food" so I wrote this:

Oh that this too, too solid food would melt/and rot, and spoil, and vanish without trace/ that we, oh Becksters all, might start the year/more skinny than the zaftig human race!

there's my bit of iambic pentameter for you all, LOL... Anyway I am done eating for tonight, and perhaps I'll weigh in at my first 5 pound goal in the morning ... I can only hope.

Cheers
Erika
Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I was soooo tired today! My sleep kept getting disturbed by pets and texts. I took a nap, and then still kept falling asleep while reading. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight. The wind is crazy here, and has been all day.

It was a little sad not having my brother, sister-in-law, and nephews nearby today.

I weighed today (no change). I wrote down everything I ate and planned for tomorrow. I also reviewed days 25 and 26 in the pink book (Recognizing Sabotaging Thoughts and Thinking Mistakes). We still have a ton of junk around here, so I am going to try to politely ask DH to take it to work or put it out of my daily routine places. I got tripped up by a gift bag of candy covered popcorn today that we received last night. I had some sabotaging thinking that lured me in to eating some of it, which did not fit in my planned calorie target for the day (as I told myself it would). Oh well! Moving on. Tomorrow I want to walk in the morning with pupstar. (She is doing great, now 2 months after her cervical fusion. She has been going up and down the stairs with help now too!)

BeverleyJoy, I'm really glad to hear positive things about your DH's aunt. Great job on the -8 and the +1 will work itself out!

BillBlueEyes, you really are lucky to appreciate the place where you live as much as you do! Hoping you get back on track with normal, everyday healthy eating.

Eusebius, glad you had a good day and thanks for the poem!

Maplover, good job giving credit.

OnebyOne, sounds like pink book days 25 & 26 would help you too! Good luck!

Tazzy, great job for being so close to your goal! Keep it up!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Happy New Year, everyone!

WI: -0.2kgs, Exercise:+0 0/1300 minutes for January, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: woo hoo! I love that you lost 8 pounds in December! That's really getting it done.

Tazzy: yay for revelations. We can certainly help you find or create a plan that provides more than 800 calories of unprocessed foods and plant-based proteins. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what several of us are doing.

onebyone: Good for identifying the need for the temper tantrum smiley and then closing the kitchen! Getting over this little hump and getting right back on track will really make a difference in how you feel about yourself, your plan, and this whole process.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 151/151 /136

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone,

I'm ready for a fresh start this year, and The Complete Beck Diet for Life sounds like just what I need. I worked on the tasks today and I'll start on stage 1 tomorrow. I'm looking forward to taking this journey with you guys.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #12  

Happy New Year Coaches/Buddies!!!!

Just when you thought I had gone...

My resolve has deepened and I had a good day New Year's Day. I am taking things a day at a time after a turbulent December. I can and will move on!

The reason I am doing Beck is that I know I will improve my health many times over tackling how I eat, versus simply what. On which note, while I may obsess over what is the best diet to follow I benefit reminding myself it doesn't have to be perfect. There is something in between a perfect diet and mayhem. A commitment to a better way of being around food, every day, any moment in time. The what will help but the how for me is the game changer!

BBE: I totally know what you mean about "Celebrating that the eating season is done!!" I feel the same. In Arabic there's a saying "Dress for Others, Eat for Yourself". I like that. Well done for walking and not giving into everything!

Maplover: Kudos for opening up. I know what that is like. As I find something unsatisfying, or am eating socially I tend to want to eat more and then more still on account of having blown it. I don't know what it is I am looking for, but the extra helpings don't get me there for very long, if at all... As for Ms "naturally thin", I find it sometimes interesting to observe those people and how they might be behaving differently around food...

Beverlyjoy: So glad to hear your New Year has started well. Losing 8 pounds in December is just awesome. A pound is probably just a water fluctuation. I'd say "don't sweat it", but you probably (literally) will! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Your DH's aunt is in my prayers.

Tazzy: With respect to PINK, it's a deeply personal decision, it sounds to me though that the plan doesn't have your full confidence and you might quite fancy your money back. Only you have the answer! I suspect that you know enough about your own body and what works for you to navigate a good path for yourself. It doesn't have to be perfect!

OnebyOne: Reminding yourself how "as of right now, right this minute, I am ON TRACK. I can CHOOSE to stay on track" is great. "I just don't happen to feel like accepting my reality right now or accepting responsibility." I think, for what it's worth, you maybe don't have to! What I mean is this, you don't have to sit and think about it right now if you don't want to, but by taking charge right now and doing the right things, only a bit of time separates you from your goals, and you know, time can just fly by. It will pass. And you are so right when you say "Why debate?" when you know deep down that it will be worth it. Big credit for getting back on track. I am rooting for you!

Erika: Very annoying when that happens! I do compose in the window but try to at least select and copy the text from time to time when I do. Good luck with your weight loss!

FFC: Inspired by your review of days 25 and 26. Credit for your mindfulness. Well done for still having a ton of junk in your home (as opposed to inhaling it all as I did *sigh*). Enjoy pupstar!

Joy: Now that you are on target what motivates you to read your advantages and response cards? I just can't imagine doing so for the rest of my life. I am hoping it won't always be relevant, much as it is no longer relevant for me to reinforce my desire to quit smoking. I stopped four years ago, am very happy about that, but it would seem odd to me to read my advantages list for stopping when the desire to smoke has long evaporated. Also out of interest, now that you are below goal, are you making an effort not to lose any more weight? (and if so, how?). By the way, I adore your book blog!!!

I am worth it: Yes of course you are worth it! Actually we all are. I love the handle. Welcome!!!!!

Last edited by sarahbennett21; 01-02-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I've got lots on my agenda this morning...I have to be at work by 6:45am.

Yesterday, I responded to family stuff in the afternoon by eating off my plan. *credit* for stopping and going to bed early. The rest of my day was OP and healthy. I completed my 2nd day of planned exercise on the recumbent bike. Today should be a breeze since I already know I'll have my PBBBB samich (thx BBE) for lunch while everyone else mindlessly eats away. I got on the scale this morning even though I didn't want to.

Part of yesterday's frustration is that I now have an antique chair in the middle of my living room that I am reupholstering. The chair is from moms and was not my project (and not my specialty, either). Oh, well. This morning I offset my frustration with gratitude as I breezed through my house and put everything in it's place. I've come a long way with my organizing and decluttering. *credit* I'm even ironing a couple of tea towels before work. Wow! I acknowledge that my environment affects my food.

I took time to read everyone's posts this morning. It is so helpful to have the insight and support of all of you here. Thank you and credit us all.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome "I am worth it"

I am worth it

And, just in case you didn't get this two and a half years ago,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck thread on the 3FC site?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - The days are getting longer

Diet Coaches/Buddies - We had a busy day to start the year in absolutely gorgeous weather. I am lulled into a feeling like it's fall - despite reports that serious cold will be here by Wednesday.

I brought home half of the dinner from a local Thai place, CREDIT moi. It was fun to eat at a table of four where everyone ate only half of their meal. Makes it nice to eat when everyone is eating sanely. My walk, CREDIT moi, was to hear a lively New Year's Day performance of Baroque music. Just sheer joy.

onebyone – Yay for, "THE KITCHEN IS CLOSED!" It takes what it takes. Kudos for remembering that you can fight defeatist thoughts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – And a joyous New Year to she with joy in her name.

Erika (eusebius) – LOL at your neat poem. Thanks for that and for sending me to google to learn "zaftig." For the first time in my life I heard a sopranino recorder (Vivaldi, Concerto in A minor for sopranino recorder and orchestra). Tiny, tiny little guy, hardly room for all ten fingers. Can't believe there's enough work to support that instrument. And we were played a surprise: Leonard Bernstein's Candide played on Baroque instruments - had the audience in stitches.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Big Kudos for "stopping and going to bed early" - my take is that we continue to win with just the strategy of refusing to "let go." Congrats for having the talent and patience to re-upholstery a chair.

Beverlyjoy – Congrats on that eight pound month and Kudos for a healthy day to bring in the new year.

FutureFitChick – Ouch for tired - may you find a way to get some rest. Congrats to your pupstar for rapid recovery.

Tazzy - Kudos for thinking seriously about your choice of eating plans. It's worth the effort to be sure of the personal fit. Your post made me wonder if every cook for Chinese restaurants has to report to duty for New Year's Eve.

maplover – Love iPhone posts. Terse. To the point. Someday I'm gonna go reread history to find out if Ponce de Leon was really looking for the fountain of youth.

sarahbennett21 – Kudos for "My resolve has deepened" - great start for the year. [Love the quote, "Dress for Others, Eat for Yourself."]

I am worth it – Kudos for charging forth in the Green Book (that's the one currently appearing in the daily quote). Working on the tasks is such an encouraging way to come to believe that there are strategies to be learned that make this path possible. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
Many dieters are able to do quite well following their plans on weekdays but find it more difficult in the evenings and on weekends. If you do, too, then structuring your time will be a great help. Initially you may want to spend more time than usual out of the house while you are learning this skill.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 95.
Closed Thread