Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day that I didn't eat my way through tension, CREDIT moi. We ate the left overs from our Italian Restaurant meal on Monday - savored the food, the memory of a good meal, and the memory of not blowing my food plan.

onebyone - That's a wise strategy, "I'll go make some tea and try to calm down" - I like being reminded that a calm state of mind helps with staying the plan. Good luck working out money stuff so that it's not a recurring uncertainty issue that leads to tension. Perhaps it would work to talk with your DH that the uncertainty causes you more tension than do the numbers.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This "what it means to me to be a grown up" seems to be a recurring thought when making daily choices. Thanks for bringing that up.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for identifying the feelings that are making you struggle right now.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - LOL at "delicious entrees which would be downright insane to even consider." Sometimes it helps me when I see food options so out of line they could only be consumed by a 17 year old male lumberjack.

Pam (pamatga) – Kudos for facing the need to reduce your calories as your weight drops. I hated, hated, hated that notion when I first confronted it. Then I was really annoyed at myself for not already knowing something so obvious.

Tazzy - Congrats on another 1.4 pounds gone forever. Love that Dalai Lama quote! Yep, that Seven Questions Technique is a tough one to work through. My take is that it's worth the effort to understand it - even if you decide not to use it much later on. In the green book, Dr. Beck swaps it for a simpler notion.

Michi702 - Super stuff to take now seriously per avoiding, 'I'll eat sitting down next time' - that's a great attitude to develop to avoid the might-as-well-keep-eating-off-plan-since-I've-already-blown-it syndrome. Kudos for diligently reviewing your day to resolve your one scoop of ice cream. And Nope, you can't give yourself too many credits - most of us are running on such a life time of deficits that there's no danger of catching up, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 4 Give Yourself Credit
what to do . . .
To give yourself credit, do the following:
. . .
2. Say one of the following, or the equivalent, to yourself: Good job, Okay! Yes! That was good. Great! Good going! That deserves credit. I did it.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 68.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #3  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Wink think happy thoughts...

Morning all. Yesterday was a busy one, but I stayed OP, even with an impromptu client lunch thrown in there

Weighed-in: -1.6lb!
Credits: checked in, weighed in, brief weights session prior to work, cycled to work, attempting a positive mental attitude through a pretty full-on week! Made sane food choices when faced with an unexpected event.

So, it is a pretty busy / stressful time over in my little corner of the world, very busy with work, trying to pack / get ready for the wedding / holiday next week, going on another cycling adventure this weekend (110 miles along the great glen fault – so past loch ness), trying to pack for said adventure, going out to see a comedian tonight (perhaps not the best timing!), trying to prepare / make presents for two birthdays next week…. And trying not to let the ball drop on my eating and exercise so that I will still fit into my dress next weekend! And breathe… I’m not willing to drop anything, so I’m just getting up earlier to do my workouts and trying to stay positive… although one of the girls going on my trip at the weekend is a bit of a control freak and was majorly stressing me out yesterday. I refused to let it creep into my food choices and kept it as a separate issue. I seem determined this week!

Hope you’re all well and I’m saying hi from all the way this side of the Atlantic
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #4  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Back from 11 days away, a week with my family (eek!) and three days driving on either end. I wish I could say I ate perfectly the whole time, but I can't. Most of it was fine, but I clearly have a long way to go before I am able to spend a week with my entire family - my parents, my two brothers, their wives and my nephew - and not get incredibly stressed out. I feel lucky only to have put on 2 lbs after some of the food that was around, and very happy to be back home in a regular routine again.

Today I have a load of unpacking and tidying to do, but I'm trying not to get overwhelmed and will take it in small increments, possibly with a nap in there somewhere.

Now I'll go get caught up on all the posts I've missed ...
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: no
Qi Gong: no
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters and coaches - yesterday was a struggle. BUT - I woke up today in a better frame of mind for eating well and having food sanity.

I must think of a strategy for the day after having gotten through a difficult time and not eating. And later... as a result - having a 'let down' in my reserve. Hmmm... I need to think of things to write on a response card.
It might include:
-Having gotten through a vacation eating healthfully isn't a green light for overeating when it's over.
- I will 'undo' all the good I've done by overeating after a heathy food vacation.
- Imagine how badly you feel, ultimately, after over eating .
- This is your life - move forward instead of backwords.

Can you think of any others?

My goals today:
plan/measure/write down food - later log into food tracker
meditation
lots of water - I will mentally count to ten after each bite. It should help today.
taste the food
eat seated only
no seconds
journal

I can't believe it September. College football starts tomorrow. I love watching on TV or at the stadium.

Have a great day.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GD everyone and Happy September!! I am always so relieved we got through another summer since work slows down so much for DH and then the excessive heat this past summer meant living in a/c all the time which is the equivalent of being indoors during a very cold Northern winter. You just want to climb the walls sometimes!

Beverlyjoy I think you have brought up one of the linchpins of successful and long term sustainable weight lose: not to see "getting through" tough situations, whatever they might be, by either overeating/ undereating, overexercising/ underexercising or basically not following your plan as you had before all that happened.

I have had three days of "just under" 1800 calories (white knuckling last night from 9 p.m.-2 a.m. and sleeping poorly until I finally fell asleep around 5 a.m. only to awaken at 10 a.m.) only to find out I "gained" 3 lbs!! What!!
That's not how it suppose to work, right??

Well, my strategy is: I do not plan on doing anything different than what I am doing right now. Yes, I took two days in a row off from the strength/cardio exercises I had been doing but I was just so exhausted and sleeping 8 hours nightly wasn't helping. However, I am anxious to get back to that because I have "irrational" fears about newly-acquired muscles turning to mush as I write this. I don't have anything "forbidden" in my home right now that I could "overeat". Sauteed spinach (which I had last night and was good even cold!)? Nary a Kit Kat to be found..... So, I "just keep swimming" (quote from Dora the blue fish in "Finding Nemo")

I have to say across the board: I really admire how so many of you have handled family "challenges" by pre-planning, toughing it out, or whatever in spite of all the "unknowns". You all are just so brave.

My DH and I have discussed traveling back to MN for the holidays. Now, my son will be alone then and so I am more inclined to go to PA for Christmas this year and forego going to MN for Thanksgiving but I will you all the "real truth" behind my decision. Yes, I don't want my son to be alone on the holidays [there is some family tension about his lifestyle choices but he is my child so matter what!] so there is definitely that but I simply don't want to have to deal with a ton of family issues on top of me really wanting to get this blasted weight "off my back", butt and waist (and wherever else it is hanging onto).

As I have mentioned before, my son is a vegan and he doesn't cook much but Philly has some really nice vegan restaurants, which he has taken us to, and I think we could do that instead of all the loads of junk our two respective families eat. Being this overweight is a mental stress as it is without adding all that "stuff" besides. No, it wouldn't make me happy to see them. Not at this time and what I am going through. When I get focused on doing something, I do not want to be disturbed(which is probably disturbing in of itself, I guess).

You know, when an alcoholic is recovering, they are strongly urged to not frequent former places where they "practiced" their addiction. Why do we not get the same courtesy?? No one would ever dream of offering a recovering addict his former "blow" but how many times does a person who is working on weight issues offered their "poison"? Whether that will happen or not is inconsequential; I do not want to put myself in the position of having to "be strong enough" to deal with it. Call me a coward and I will gladly accept that moniker. I just know my "limits". I have many strengths but enticing holiday food is not one of them!! The only way I can think of getting out of that is to stand out in the rain and catch a cold on purpose.

Okay, I will step off my soapbox for now. Anyway, my strategy is to hold up a cruxifix and say "Get thee behind me, Satan!"

On a similar "thread", I am also trying to illicit support to do a back-to-back Buddy Challenge through the "food holidays". Every year for as long as I can remember, I have taken off the time from Halloween to the Super Bowl to eat whatever I felt like. Seriously!! The best case scenario: I maintained my weight lose. The worst case scenario: I regained 10 lbs. Well, whether I have anyone who will bite at that "challenge" or not, I am going to do my best to not succumb to all the delectables this coming season. I have a ton of revised healthier versions of side dishes to go along with the turkey and or goose. I also have a great cookbook for desserts(for diabetics) that I have had for several years. The summer sausage, salty nuts, crackers and heavenly cheeses; et al, will just have to remain at the store.

What thoughts does everyone else have??? I'd like to know as well. I'm already tense just anticipating this.

Stats for 8/31 (day 23):

**1784 calories 3220 mg sodium 26 grams fiber
**decided to take an additional "DOR" from "specific" exercise and continue to work on the project in my bedroom. Got to hit the floor running though today.
**F/V: banana, apple, tomato, carrot and spinach
**Sugar N
**Water not a specific amt
**Sleep: with an afternoon nap I got 8 hr
**Post Y
**Planned: Note: I keep a "clean" kitchen so I eat what is available, have a general idea the night before but sometimes, depending on when I get up, things change. [Why eat breakfast if it is close to lunch?] I focus more on having a balanced food plan covering all the nutrients and getting in a wide variety of food. "Eat the Rainbow".
**Log Food-"Always Every Day Every Bite No Matter What!"

Last edited by pamatga; 09-01-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
I can see that these past four days have truly been a success for me although they haven't FELT like a success until just this morning. Lots of food challenging situations - 2 girl's outing with lots of food available and a couple of long work days. In all cases I was remarkably OP - I mean passing up pizza, chocolate cake, blah! blah! blah!. I planned ahead, bought special diet sodas as my treat, met people at salad bars and limited myself to one trip. doubled up on workouts etc... And yet everyday I showed a slight gain. _Good gravy, demoralizing. But I just kept OP which would not have been my natural reaction. I woke up this morning and I am back down. I have to trust the process and I did. It just didn't Feel TERRIFIC. I reached my August exercise goals by doubling up some exercise which made me very hungry but I did it. I kept thinking, I promised myself and I am a woman of my word. I also asked my husband about Monday nites- if I need help - to clean up the kitchen because that is my long day and if I can't get out of the kitchen in a timely manner I will start to pick. That is just the way it is. He said OK. Ask for what I need, right? No excuses.
Beverleyjoy: I am huingry this morning after my success, as well. I don't know what happen to my football days. I sue to watch. But I still love fall and the return of all things pumpkin.
Superchick You make me smile when you say "I am not willing to let go of anything." Sometimes when I say that it only means God will let go of something for me. Watch out
BBE: I didn't eat over stress this week either and intellectually it feels good.
The emotional gratitude always come a little bit later - after I stop pouting over not getting what I want when I want it.
Pamatga: I believe your analogy to a newly sober person is accurate. When I was first sober, I had to change everything, the people I was with, traditions, holidays. Sometimes it felt like I was cutting off my left arm but I realize nothing changes unless you change - and not just a little thing like WHAT I eat but the important things like WHY I eat. I definitely have to limit family interactions when I am in a rough spot with food. (I hear you Eusebius about family time.) The good news I have found is that relationships that are basically healthy get stronger because I am happier and bad relationships fall away.

Last edited by maryann; 09-01-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #8  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post aftermath and other familial equations

Hi Coaches

Wow. What a night. And morning. It was VERY TENSE here in my little cramped apartment. Too small for the two of us. DH and I both stayed in Dodge -- though we did have a showdown. Rare for us but not lately I found out once more that we are very different creatures and see the world very differently and assess situations very differently and attribute things to each other that are both extremely accurate and off the mark.

It's hard to be in my relationship right now. Money issues are really getting to us. I think it'll be better in November. But this is going to be the WORST month yet after a whole spring and summer of frugality. For some reason I cannot make any money. I can't do the things I used to in my old town here in my new town - I try and I keep being denied with NO and I don't know what else I can do here to make extra $. I am trying. It's just not happening yet. I've started applying for part time work but I know from experience when I get a job my art work plunges to very little. But you know, sometimes you just have to take care of the basics first. I need to get on my feet. The stress and tension I am feeling is directly interfering with my weightloss. It's a distraction. So I guess I'll use what I have now to release my tension: do some WATP workouts, wii workouts, just go for a walk. Since I can't buy much food it's an enforced foodplan anyway so I am just going to use the money issue as an excuse to eat less-to save money-to conserve the food we do have.

So *credit moi for weighing in -0.7 = 278.4
*BIG credit moi for completing my first 4 Day Win exercise. When you get to day 4 your get a "somewhat larger reward" as she calls it. Originally I wrote down that I would buy a book, but I can't so instead I went to the library and took out a book I've wanted to read, Buzz Aldrin's Magnificent Desolation.. I'm very excited to read it. During this first 4 Day Win I gave myself the small reward of taking a 20 min timeout to read something I wanted to for the pleasure of it. I'm falling back in love with my books and I enjoy the calm quiet of simply reading.

The next 4 days will be challenging. The exercise is to take note of my "famine brain" and to record what triggers my sense of deprivation and lack. yikes. I may get writer's cramp! My small reward for the first three days is to continue reading for 30 minutes this time, up from 20, and then on day 4 I am going to go swimming. While at the employment centre I saw that the YMCA here is giving away 2 week free passes to their facilities so I am going to get one, maybe even today, and then use it. I am sure hoping I can do some water aerobics this week. That would be fantastic.

Better go. Have a good evening Becksters. Happy Old Celtic New Year!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Hello everyone

I'm new to this thread. (Clearly!) It's lovely to meet you all

I began reading through the Beck Diet Solution a couple of weeks ago. I was excited to get up through Day 5 before having a week-long visit from family, so I kept my focus on those first five days while they were here. Thrilled to report that -- I mean give myself credit for the fact that I did very, very well with food planning while they were here. I even made time to read my Advantages.

However, things are back to normal and it's time I keep stepping forward to build on what I've done so far, and so I'm reaching out for more diet coaches/buddies for my Day 6 step.

I honestly hadn't expected to be faced with a hurdle so soon in the book, but eating slowly and mindfully (Day 5) is quite an obstacle. I'm very used to multitasking while I eat, and so I've had to make a conscious effort to get myself to the dining room. It's so automatic that I take my food into the computer room or to the living room, I've found myself turning on my heels while in the hallway and forcing myself back towards the dining room!

It might take a little while for paying attention to my food to become a habit, but when I think on it, this is a good thing and the right time to add it into my life.

Again, happy to see everyone, and I hope to get to know you all better and stay accountable and celebrate every step with everybody!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

My goal for September is to weigh in each morning and post here. And work my way through A Course in Weight Loss. Then we'll see where I am.

WI: +1.35kgs, Exercise: +0 1340/1300 minutes and 35/33 miles for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

Beverlyjoy: You asked about ideas for staying healthy on the day back from a trip. You might want to try having a Landing Checklist (I did this when we camped frequently). It can include practical things like unpacking and laundry (which I find can be an emotional drag if I don't get them done quickly) and also spiritual or emotional things that help you appreciate the time away and reconnect to all the good things about coming home.

Welcome, Lovely!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Hello, old friends!

Just a quick check-in to help me get back on track checking in here, in general. While 3FC pops up as one of my home pages, I've fallen out of the habit of reporting and reflecting here.

Life, as usual, is delicious and crazy. I have some of the same issues with eating, but find amazing comfort in the Beck skills which always help me to get back on track.

Here, tonight, I would like to give myself some credit. I believe about this time last year, I fully accepted the challenge of this new journey, beginning to seriously exercise and seriously change my approach to food. I started off weighing about 215. Now, nearly a year later, I weighed in this morning at 167, and have dropped 6-8 clothing sizes. I feel great! And what feels even better is that I know I can keep going, I know there's no rush, there is only the endless, kinda comforting cycle of always getting back on track, always balancing out life.

So, wish me luck for the upcoming year, as I'm building all these skills back into teaching -- into completing and defending my dissertation -- into going on the job market. It's going to be a crazy year, but at least I'm in a healthier place! Thanks to y'all for being part of my process.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Coaches & Buddies,

Just a quick check in tonight as I'm getting organized to go away for a couple days after work tomorrow.

Credit yesterday for an OP day. And big credit for resisting an Eatmore chocolate bar and choosing an apple instead! I have been reading my cards and still working on Day 27 tasks. Weighed in and have stayed the same. I'm okay with that as my exercise has been really low this week. I need to make that a priority and stick with it. I did wear my pedometer today and as of right now am at 7309 steps. Not too bad, had a couple of excursions out of the office during the day so that helped.

Welcome back from vacation eusebius and welcome to the group Lovely. Hi to everyone else and have a good long weekend

Last edited by Tazzy; 09-01-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #13  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Default Tgif!

Morning coaches, a super quick one from me this morning as I’m busy busy and have to leave work early to go on my cycle trip

Weighed in: -1.4lb!
Credits: read arc, biked to work, planned food, have packed healthy snacks for the train journey later, checked in, weighed in, staying sane and pma in a crazy busy time!

I hope you’re all well and have a wonderful weekend filled with fun, I’ll be back Monday

P.S. welcome back Erika
Old 09-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Lovely

Lovely of Starstuff

And, even though you've been an active poster for four months,

However did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Encountered two strong urges to go eat something to make things better; stood them both down, CREDIT moi. Gave myself credit for moving an electrical outlet twelve inches to allow a new stove to be plugged in for which I give myself CREDIT moi for giving myself credit, LOL. New stoves accept gas and electricity at the bottom; old stoves accept both at the top. Thus, an electrician and a plumber are required to replace an old stove. Sigh, in olden days you just bought a new stove, screwed it to the gas, and plugged it in.

onebyone - Ouch for the tensions of relationships and money - both require directed efforts to stay away from eating as a response. Hope that YMCA pass works out so you can have your water 'fix.'

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that you continue with A Course in Weight Loss - hope you remain able to make the Goldilocks choices that allow it to work for you.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for a nap to refresh the mind. Kudos for so much time spent with family and keeping your wits. Small increments sounds like a good idea.

Beverlyjoy – That's a good general notion, "success isn't a green light for . . ." .

MaryContrary – Congrats on your consistent efforts to accumulate that 48 pound loss. Glad that you're still around to share your "delicious and crazy" life. Kinda amazing to see you face your dissertation and job market.

maryann - Remaining on plan during your looooog days is a challenge; Kudos for working that.

Pam (pamatga) – Yep, that stretch of "food holidays" is a challenge. It's good to be reminded of them since I have to remember that it works for me to use the "I can have it next year." People seem ingrained offering food as a gesture of friendship.

SuperChick - Kudos for keeping your wits about you with so much going on. Be careful near Loch Ness - there are many folks who believe in the Monster who don't even know what a loch is, LOL. And some of us don't know how to tell a loch from a fjord but are quite sure that there would never have been a Fjord Ness Monster. Have a great trip.

Tazzy - Yep, Big Kudos for "resisting an Eatmore chocolate bar" - chocolate has a unique siren call.

Lovely - Yep, this eating slowing and mindfully is a challenge. Kudos for recognizing that and taking it seriously. And Kudos for spending time with your family and not trying to use food to make is all better.

LOL at the image of you "turning on my heels while in the hallway and forcing myself back towards the dining room" Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 4 Give Yourself Credit
what to do . . .
To give yourself credit, do the following:

. . .
3. Write the word credit on a sticky note. Place it on the fridge, on your computer, or in your appointment book or PDA to remind yourself to look for times that you deserve credit.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 68.
Closed Thread