Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Canada Day with Kate and Wills

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan included a can of tuna with salad for lunch; CREDIT moi. Since Martha Stewart wasn't looking, I served it right out of the can.

Perfect day for a walk, CREDIT moi - just the right temperature with no threat of rain. As I walked near Whole Foods my mind starting thinking of reasons to go in, where, of course, I'd then have samples. I ate not a single sample by the simple technique of not going in. CREDIT moi, I guess, but it seems a bit simplistic; if I don't go in there, I don't eat them.

onebyone - I recommend a long back rub for a birthday gift for your DH; that's what I'd like. Kudos for two weeks on plan. You're winning.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Marvelous recovery on your exercise goal for June after a slow start.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for a sabbatical to refresh the mind. When do you get to take one?

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for keeping the path - including a skinny frappe - with "stuff" going on.

sliverbirch – Kudos for eating sitting down. I like to think that I do this all the time, but inevitably, like last night, I find a serving spoon being licked as if I weren't responsible for that happening. Your William has already wowed the Canadians by speaking a bit of French - as did Kate. Smart folks to do their homework.

pamatga - Making that bunad sounds like a worthy challenge. That's a lot of food you're putting together; glad you have a plan so you'll be able to just eat small samples.

SuperChick - Love the mantra, "I am not a dustbin!" - especially the visual of an overflowing bin. Yep, if you're full, it's wasted in your gut or the bin either way. Kudos for thoughtfully planning for your mountain bike weekend.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily
Emily's Advantages List

Start thinking about all of the reasons you want to lose weight. Most dieters can easily come up with 15 to 20 reasons. Here are the reasons one dieter, Emily, put on her initial list:
. . .. . .
  • I won't have to worry about diabetes.
  • My blood pressure will come down.
  • My back and knees won't hurt.
  • I'll be happy when I get on the scale.
  • I won't feel self conscious all the time.
. . .. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 54.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #3  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM and GD fellow Beckies!

My DH wanted to know if you all still call it Dominian Day? I said I would ask. So, Happy Canada Day until I hear differently.

I have already gathered together some of the items needed for the bunad. In keeping with the colors of the Norwegian flag, my dirndl skirt will be navy, the vest in a deep red and the top underneath white (or ivory). I got some red/white/bue ribbons, pewter buttons et al along with some fabric rosebuds to fashion to a headband with streamers. This weekend I will be on the hunt for a special looking long apron, preferably with a lot of detailed embroidery or lace.

BBE The food is to be served (and shared) for en masse. I find that I have a tendency to undereat in large social gatherings like this since there is so many other things to distract me: coversations, traditional dance lessons from other "represented" countries, music, people I know, etc. that overeating will be the last thing on my mind. Thanks for the concern.

My DH received some bad health news (again) last night. Word to everyone: if you are waiting for test results of any kind unless you know that they are good, don't read the results right before going to bed! Please! My sweet Paul has abnormally high trigylcerides. I was very surprised. This bumped his cholesterol up into the high range. I assured him that we could "fix it" with diet and exercise and to "forget about it" until today when we can discuss a plan. He is the opposite of me. I thrive on plans and more plans.

Well, the problem is he has never had a weight problem until the past couple of years.His BMI is 28%. His doctor told him he needs to lose 30 lbs. To me, I would love to be that close to my ideal weight. I consider him to eat a very healthy diet. Enviable by "American standards." I mean, he eats 4 servings of vegetables at our evening meals together. Always. He just loves vegetables. At home I have always made for him what I eat so he is not getting this from my cooking! No frying, I rarely bake and the only "junk food" is his stash of Kit Kat bars which he only eats on occasion. We are both very light drinkers of alcohol.

Quite honestly, his "diet" doesn't have much to work with. I'm actually stumped. I would like to say that these results are "suspicious" but it also might mean that he is inheriting his father's heart disease and he might need medication to help bring this down. We often assume everything can be fixed with diet and exercise but there are some people that even with doing all the right things they still need medication. I was so hoping he wouldn't have to because he doesn't even remember where his reading glasses are half the time. (That is why he has three pair---one I insist he keep in our china cabinet in the dining room)

This is not going to be easy. He was already complaining (and whining a little). He said, "Well, I suppose this means I will HAVE to exercise now!" Before, it was a novelty. He walked a 13.1K this winter for cancer research but for him it was a fluke to do that. In fact, everything was and now, at age 53, he is joining the rest of us who actually have to work at being and staying healthy. Now, how to motivate him to take care of himself without nagging/scaring/threatening or babying him? That is the $1M question.

Well, I am insisting that he takes the test results to the doctor when he finally gets to see one about his skin cancer (he waited 5 hours in their waiting room this past week just to get into their computer system) and get a professional opinion. I'm the fixer in the family but even I realize I am not the "Wizard".

Credit for myself: Doing my exercises first thing in the morning. In fact, ticking off any important tasks first thing in the morning. That way they are done!
Taking another 1 hour walk yesterday (certainly not speed walking though), coming home, taking two strong anti-inflammatory pills and icing my knees.
"Detachment" works for me when presented with some challenges--which I have a new one--living with someone who is not going to like to make changes, even good ones for himself. I have a significantly more amount of weight to lose than DH and my needs are equally important. No apologies.

I made good choices when eating out:baked fish, corn on the cob, coleslaw and lots of unsweetened iced tea[Sidenote: down here you have to specifically ask for unsweetened iced tea or you will get something that is so sweet even a diehard sugar addict would curl their eyelashes drinking].

However, when I got home I had a healthy snack (SF NS peanut butter on a cut up apple) that put me over my calories for the day. I know what I "forgot": to log my food so I knew where I was calorie-wise because then I wouldn't have had what I had since I wasn't really very hungry--just very fatigued. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Overall, a very good start to my renewed determination to see 199 lbs by Christmas Day. It will happen if I work my tail off. Today, my jaw is set.

Have a great day and a safe weekend!

Last edited by pamatga; 07-01-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

The first of the month is when I change my ticker -- so this is the first time it shows me at goal. Yay! I was lower at times during June, so I'm hoping that July with all its wonderful veggies will help me get to normal weight according to the CDC's BMI recommendation.

And, yay! again, I pulled out a win with my exercise goals for June.

WI: +0.35 in kgs, Exercise: +60 1300/1300 minutes for June, Food: 75%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

Hello to everyone.

BillBlueEyes- credit for passing by the store with free samples. Good way to keep your walk pure. LOL.

pamatga- you are doing fantastic. Good choices when you were eating out and so great that you are walking for an hour. Huge progress!!

gardenerjoy- must have felt wonderful to move that ticker to goal. So good to have you here to show the rest of us how to get it done. Hugs.

For me- happy to report that I was on plan on Wednesday and Thursday despite being out of town at a hotel.

Yesterday morning after I checked out of the hotel I went to get salad and 6 inch whole wheat roast beef sub at Subway to eat for lunch. Got to work and everyone was organizing a pizza lunch. I did not for a second waiver and it was nice not to have an internal debate. They ate greasy pizza, I ate what I planned. Small thing but it felt good. Then after work I was "starving" and still facing the 2 hour drive home. I started having thoughts about A&W or MacDonald's and had the sabotoging thought that since I resisted pizza at lunch I could do it. Thought NO CHOICE and instead went back to Subway for another healthy sub to eat on the way home. So glad I did not do it!!!

I went from 297 to 291 this week. I know most is water weight but still I will be so happy to get the heck out of the horrible 290's again.

Take care everyone and have a good day

Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking Happy Canada Day!

Hi Coaches

I'm watching the Canada Day coverage on the CBC today. I wish I was there but having lived in Ottawa for over 20 years I can easily imagine the atmosphere and the location of all the shots I see on tv. My friend in Ottawa says he's avoiding the whole thing, which I fully understand. He did say he's going to launch his canoe in the canal and load his two boys, 8 and 10, onboard this evening and they'll watch what will most likely be an over-the-top firework display to wow the Young Royals. Some years the government skimps on the fireworks but my hunch is they won't this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what my new hometown presents to its citizens for Canada Day. we are heading to the Richond Green for the festivities in a short while and will go back to see the fireworks at 10pm. I love fireworks.

*credit* for weighing in: -1.1lbs = 279.8! The 270's are back again!

*credit* for being OP for two official weeks.

I have abstained from sugar, flours, and all other starches for two weeks now. I've focused on protein and veggies. I am now going to do it for two more weeks with the possible addition of berries once a day and some wii fit activities everyday. That's about all I want to change.

pamatga Tell your DH that it was called Dominion Day until Prime Minister Trudeau repatriated the constitution in 1982 from Britain. Although, I don't ever remember calling it Dominion Day myself and I'm 47... depends where you are from maybe or how much of a monarchist you are, or were, I suppose!
Have a great day everyone

UPDATE: spent 1hr and 17min walking on The Green checking out the Canada Day offerings. We stood in line for Hawaiian kebabs but they were soooo slllloooooow we left. My new town must employee a boatload of gardeners. That whole Green was exquistely manicured and very orderly.

ALSO gardenerjoy!! You're at goal!! Amazing. So great.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-01-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #7  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Happy Canada Day!

Hello.
I'm new here.
I'm working through The Beck Diet Solution (the pink book--I love that you identify the books by jacket colour!)

You all will have to be my coach. I don't have anyone "local" except maybe my husband, but I've reservations about that. Not that he's too pushy--he's not really pushy enough! It would be hard for him to talk me out of doing something I "wanted" to do that isn't good for me. Example: he follows my directions when we're driving even as he is saying to me, "I don't think we should go this way." Sweet guy-- but maybe not exactly diet coach material?

Last night I read, "Prepare the house" and I confess to having my first real set of rebellious thoughts. It's that I don't want to have a mind set about food that claims some are bad and some are good (thus some are "allowed" in the house and some are not.

However, it is true that if ice cream is in the house I will have a bowl every night for dessert. I did last week--though the bowls got smaller as the week went by and I became more "conscious."

Eating ice cream every single night, no matter how small the portion will not help me become slimmer--right? (Except I could cut something else out of my diet to make "room" for it, couldn't I?)

See--I need a diet coach already. I need something irrefutable to tell myself not to bring it home--even when it is on sale!

As well--I have kids and even though one of them is over-weight--I feel like it isn't "fair" to deprive them of it. (Though the overweight child eats far, far too much of it when it is on hand. We had to restrict him to one bowl a day.)

Ice cream and chocolate are the biggies, really. We don't keep chips or non-diet pop or anything else in the house.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #8  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

What do you do at work when you are BORED? I sooo want to snack! I am confined to a desk unless I have a customer to help, so I can't go walk around or anything. It's not like I don't have work to do, but when it's slow or when it's Friday, I have no urge to do it. I just want to check out what's in the candy jar.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #9  
wife2abadge

pamatga, when I was at "normal" weight, my triglycerides were high. They went down when I stopped eating artificial sweetener, cut out most processed foods (even low cal frozen meals and the like), and cut way back on bread/pasta/cereal/sugar. So sad, but even whole wheat bread and pasta raise my levels.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #10  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Hi Coaches/Buddies!

Happy Canada Day

I'm afraid I slept through the noon ceremonies ... I felt exhausted and a bit dizzy from the very non-eco-friendly bathroom cleaner I used yesterday and all the scrubbing and vacuuming. But it looks like we may go down to Hamilton harbour and watch the fireworks this evening.

Did well at my parents' last night and I have a plan for tomorrow night's wine tasting at our house. Yay for Weight Watchers gazpacho!! Also did 40 min of qi gong today, credit.

onebyone - you are doing amazingly well. Welcome to the 270s!! I want to come over and try your eggplant lasagna!! mmm... eggplant ...

gardenerjoy - WTG on reaching your June exercise goals!! Great to see that ticker at goal.

pamatga - Loved hearing about your German and Norwegian heritage. Would love to see a pic of your traditional Norwegian costume (with you in it!) onebyone is right - we haven't called it Dominion Day for quite a while, though I remember seeing it on calendars as a kid. At the time there used to be a national chain of grocery stores called Dominion, so I imagine there were quite a few kids who thought Dominion Day was the day you went shopping Best wishes for Paul's health journey ... he's fortunate to have a health-conscious partner by his side.

silverbirch - kudos for your Beck-friendly day!!

SuperChick - WTG making healthy choices at the restaurant! Your weekend plan looks good.

BillBE - I know where my cat would have been if she were at your house yesterday at lunchtime, LOL. Kudos for avoiding the Whole Foods minefield! Good question about the sabbatical. Alas, I don't see one in my self-employed future, but I do get to go on meditation retreat for a week starting July 10. Yay!

CeeJay - WTG staying OP at the hotel!! Yay for NO CHOICE!

Alana - Welcome! We are a great big happy coach family around here. Whereabouts are you out West? I have a brother in the Vancouver area and another who lived in St. Albert, AB until fairly recently.

wife2abadge - can so relate to feeling bored and snacky at work. Kudos for posting instead!

Wishing everyone a great day,
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: no
Qi Gong: yes (40 min)
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi All,

Thought I'd post and wish everyone a Happy Canada Day, and help start off the July thread. I'm the resident lurker who pops in once in awhile to post.

I've had a good string of days and the scale is starting to move down again. Getting more aerobic exercise in has helped. What I love about exercise is that not only is it good for burning fat/toning/stretching muscles, it also takes away my hunger for a bit after. That helps me accept that my food portions are enough.

Keep moving forward all ! Thanks for being here.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Alana in Canada

Alana in Canada

And, in case you didn't get one of these some two and a half years ago,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find the Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #13  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Some tension in the renovation - happily resolved - but I took down a brownie; Ouch. Brownie's don't cure tension.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to dinner with DW to a Ramen noodle place; very hot, very salty, and so very, very good. Sometimes a hit of hot salt is just what the body needs. The sodium held water will go away in a few days, so I'll get to celebrate as if I'd lost some weight, LOL.

onebyone - Welcome back 170's. Now stick around if you don't mind. Canada has traditionally put up one of the best displays at the Boston Flower Show; maybe you do have a "boatload of gardeners."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for recording your scale goal and your exercise goal. Do you change anything now that you're officially a maintainer?

Erika (eusebius) - Thanks for the reminder that it's time for some gazpacho around here. Yay, indeed, for a meditation week in July. Maybe you need to write an application for a Sabbatical year and submit it to yourself. Who knows, maybe you'll grant it; it's worth trying.

CeeJay - Kudos for sane Subway instead of McD's or worse, with a special Kudos for whipping out the old NO CHOICE to get there.

Woodland - LOL at the thought of "resident lurker" - perhaps your post can be used an excuse by our other lurkers to jump in and wave. Kudos for your string of good days. Neat that aerobic exercise helps keep hunger down; some articles suggest that exercising can increase weight because it's used as an excuse to eat more, but I don't buy that.

pamatga - Ouch for your DH's numbers from the blood tests. And Ouch for the age-appropriate reality that exercise is required for a healthy life. Good that you're there to encourage him.

wife2abadge - Ouch, "BORED" is such an opening for Sabotaging Thoughts to wiggle in suggesting that candy and other snacks are the proper antidote. They aren't. Then you'll be BORED and ANNOYED that you've taken on extra calories without real benefit. Are you allowed to read or go online at your desk between bouts of doing the don't-really-want-to-do-it chores? Good luck thinking up things you can do that don't involve food.

Alana in Canada - Yep, we'll be your on-line Diet Coach, and ask you to be one of ours. Spouses don't seem to be often chosen as Diet Coaches; there's already enough going on in that relationship without adding this.

Yep, chocolate is good stuff to include in a food plan - a specific small piece. When I last did chocolate, the size of my serving kept growing. I finally stopped having it as a regular home item; I have it when the opportunity arises for a small serving without additional being easily available. I had to just flat drop ice cream; even when I kept the serving to a planned size, it tweaked my head to want more, more, more. For me, it worked to just ignore it for my losing period, and to only take small servings on special occasions now. I agree with you, I don't need the concept of "bad" foods; there are, however, foods I seriously avoid: french fries, daily sweet desserts, candy, and white bread to name a few.

Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily
Emily's Advantages List

Start thinking about alll of the reasons you want to lose weight. Most dieters can easily come up with 15 to 20 reasons. Here are the reasons one dieter, Emily, put on her initial list:
. . .. . .
  • It will be easier to go up steps.
  • I'll be able to climb the bleachers at my son's games.
  • I'll wear more fashionable clothes.
  • I'll have a stable wardrobe.
  • I won't be embarrassed when I check out at the supermarket.
. . .. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 54.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #14  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Diet Coaches/Buddies Alana in Canada - Yep, we'll be your on-line Diet Coach, and ask you to be one of ours. Spouses don't seem to be often chosen as Diet Coaches; there's already enough going on in that relationship without adding this.
Well put, BBE, and Alana in Canada! I love my husband but shudder at the thought of asking him to be my diet coach. I think that as you progress with Beck, you will learn alot about yourself and alot about what foods work and don't work for you. Dr. Beck feels that no food has to be off limits, but as an individual I certainly have trigger foods which seem to be jump off points for further unplanned eating. I am able to have 1/2 cup of NSA ice cream and leave it at that. If I move to sugar added, I find I'm less interested in stopping. I love nuts on my daily lunch salad and I can portion them properly...but put in a bowl on the table or as a designated snack I find them more difficult to stick to the appropriate portion. Best wishes as you embark on this journey and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Hi Coaches!

We traveled yesterday and I actually got all caught up with personals using my One Note. I had some glitches due to internet connection and wasn't able to post before continued to Denver for a hospital visit. Now, I think it's a little bit outdated so I think I'll just start anew tomorrow. I'll use a Beckism here and just breathe and say, "Oh, Well"

Anyway, I'm settling in here and am going to "try" and I'll accentuate "try" to do a 2 week Phase 1 SouthBeach/Phase 1 Fat Flush. I haven't decided how it's going to work out but the major changes will be letting loose of caffeine (except for 1 morning cup), adding in lots of cleansing beverages AND staying out of DH's snack cabinet. Fat Flush suggests it might not be the greatest plan for Vegans, but since I eat eggs and tofu is allowed, it might work for me. I am most interested in adding the "cleansing regimen". It is always "one day at a time" for me and I'm great at not beating myself up anymore. *credit* I know how to eat to lose weight and I am capable of tweaking things make a fit with my personal beliefs. Fitting things into my "roller coaster life" is sometimes a bit harder. *credit* for the desire to keep trying.

Right off, it's breakfast out with mom. (pulls hair) Lots of resistance involved. I do have a plan, though....I think. lol

to everyone, and Happy Belated Canada Day to all of our Northern neighbors.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-02-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #15  
Green Tomatoes

We managed to choose the hottest day of the year to take my brother, his girlfriend, and her daughter to the Missouri Botanical Garden. I imagine we'll have fun anyway. We're going early which should help.

Welcome Alana in Canada! I use this thread and these wonderful people as my diet coaches. My husband is great but we are careful to be sideline cheerleaders for each other rather than coaches.
I gave up a lot of things at the beginning and gradually brought a bit back in to my plan as things fit and let go of things that didn't.
It turns out that I'm able to eat ice cream like a thin person -- a small serving during an outing or my homemade healthy versions (usually involving ingredients like local canteloupe and nonfat yogurt and made in the Cuisinart ice cream maker I bought a couple of years ago).
But other things don't work at all well for me. When I gave up junk food, I got over the cravings for most things in a couple of weeks, but donut cravings plagued me for months so I may never eat another donut. Who wants to live through that twice?
Potato chips, it turns out, were all about quantity for me. I don't even like them in small servings, but given the chance (say a magical day where I could eat anything I wanted with no ill effects, including cravings), I would still eat a very large amount. So, I'm not eating potato chips, either. They are too disappointing in the amounts that fit into my plan.
I guess my point is, the thing I didn't realize when I started, that it takes a lot of experimentation and the end result may be a lot more nuanced than you think. It's not all or nothing. It's much more complicated than that -- but also more delightful and fun to figure out what really works.

BillBlueEyes: I think I will make no changes for maintenance. I'm reasonably happy with the way I'm eating right now and I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds over the next few months. So, I think I'll let my maintenance weight find itself. That's the method you used, wasn't it? I think it will be helpful to me to just accept this as the way I live now, rather than make some big deal out of being in maintenance and risk bringing back food habits that won't work for me.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-02-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Closed Thread