Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #166  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

First of all, thank you everyone who saw something out of my extended post. I guess, it seems like I have a lot to say about all of this but then I have been working at this since 1983 when I gained 50 lbs in under 4 months, went on some of the craziest diets back in the 80s which only shut down my metabolism with dire consequences (gall bladder surgery, infertility, depression,GI issues, to name a few), only to yo-yo back and forth until finally two years ago weighed in at my most heaviest. I have often felt like an archaelogist on "a dig". I want so much to believe that this is the "final countdown". I really do!

Great Job everyone, on dealing with what is directly in front of you, using the Beck skills to 'slay those dragons".

Stats for Day 6(yesterday) of my BLC Buddy Challenge:

**Benefit of logging my food: I can do a review of what I have had over the past day or week and make adjustments. Since I noticed earlier that my F/V were low, I tried to beef them up. We were low on groceries so I sent my DH with added instructions to load up on the green veggies. As you all know, I do have an organic garden plot in our community garden but that doesn't keep pace with what I feel I need. I need a bigger "plot".
**However, yesterday was better for both F/V: 4 servings of Veg:spinach/tomato, asparagus,mixed legumes, broccoli; and 3 servings Fruitsineapple, strawberries and o.j.
**daily calories was 3114! (1014 + cal) sodium was (yikes!) 4449 mg 29 grams of fiber!!
---I do want to qualify that by saying everything I ate was very healthy--no processed foods, all organic, no added white sugar. Here was my meals just to give you an idea of how "well" I eat (and how difficult it is to stop!): Bmelet with spinach, fire-roasted tomatoes and feta cheese, fresh sliced strawberries, whole wheat bean muffins, L:repeat of those delicious bean muffins, Thai noodles with soy ginger sauce(there's the sodium culprit!) mixed with garlicy ground turkey, D: pineapple tomato chipolte salsa mahi mahi, brown rice, steamed asparagus and broccoli. No snacks! Not even chocolate.....

**it was my Day of Rest(I'm working out 6 days a week) so I could do a "Last Chance Workout" today before "officially" weighing in tomorrow. I "peeked" I was 262.2 lbs today so I have maintained the weight I've lost this past week. 6 lbs. (3 sodium induced from last weekend but 3 extra for real lbs from the past 6 days!)

**Today I am going to increase my reps with my hand weights.
--- So, now I will begin doing 2 sets of 15 reps with 3 lbs hand weights for my upper body. My lower body exercises will remain the same: 2 sets of 15 reps with added 5 lb ankle weights (I started that two weeks ago). I let my body tell me when it is time to increase the intensity. All of this takes 1 hour to complete since I am doing 14-16 separate exercises.

**Today, I will increase my time on the treadmill to 15 minutes at one session. My end goal is to do 30 minutes at one session. I do interval walking which simply put means varying the speed at which I walk-slow-fast-med-slow-fast,etc. (again, fast paced music really helps motivate! IMO)

**AS I have said before, I am doing all of this very carefully as I have a groin muscle that keeps giving me trouble and a very tight hamstring in my right leg, not to mention the pulled muscle in my upper right shoulder blade. I can get "obsessive" about exercising though too so I really have to hold myself back on all of this so I don't totally bench myself. (trading one obsession for another---it's the name of the game when it comes to addiction).

**And, finally, this is where posting here as often as I can keeps my mind clear and I can gauge by your reactions whether I need to take it down a notch or go full speed ahead. Bless all of you for the love and support that I feel in spite of my babblings.

Love you all Pam
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good Afternoon Coaches & Buddies!

It's been a good day so far, have stayed on plan with breakfast and lunch and have picked new potatoes, carrots and beets from the garden to roast for dinner with orange roughy. Looking forward to it!

I asked my DH to come with me for a walk and he agreed so we checked out more of our neighborhood (we are in a new development and it's interesting to see all the landscaping that our neighbors are doing). It's quite warm here today +30C (92F) and unusual for us. Eusebius - I'm in Calgary,where in Southern Ontario are you? This will count as credit for my planned exercise today. May take the bike out after dinner if it cools off.

Tomorrow is my first weigh in for the week and I'm both excited and nervous about it. I know I have lost and will be in the 170's and that's what makes me nervous. Two years ago in August I got to 175 and bought a whole bunch of new clothes and decided I could do WW on my own. Well the following May I was joining up again as I had gained 10 pounds and the clothes were not fitting. I seem to be on that same track again and when I quit WW in March was at 178. Again the weight started creeping up and I refuse to let out the clothes so Aug 01 I got serious about it. I have a mental block weighing in the 170's or less and I think it's because my lowest recent weight was 165 in 2006 after having major surgery for a chronic disease for 10 years and maybe sub-conciously I attribute that weight to how my health was at the time. It's definitely a psychological thing I'll have to work through and I'm hoping to find some strategies in the book. If any of you have any suggestions I would be open to hearing them as well.

My Zumba muscles today are quite sore so I am thinking some stretches are in order before class again on Tuesday.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #168  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone.

Let me say I've just spent the last hour or so reading up on everyone's progress. Superchick--I hope you figure out what was your "trigger." Good for you for discovering it so soon--and being committed to your recovery. Way to go, girl!

I'll just say I've had a lousy weekend. I have no idea what's going on in my head. I'm behaving as if I'm not even watching my weight at all and I've never heard of Beck or food plans or anything.

My sleep is all topsy turvey. It's partly the heat--not used to it. So, last night the kids and I weren't in bed until 2am (me at 2:30) and of course no one was up much before noon. I really, really dislike this schedule. I feel like I'm wasting my life!

Got some news about my 13 year old son from a psychologist yesterday. Glad to have it. Still digesting.

I'm so glad you are all here and still trucking along.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #169  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I did better resisting snacking, CREDIT moi. Better, not back to 100 percent. Drifting away from plan just a little does seem to lubricate the slope to drift away more. Good to be reminded of that.

onebyone - Yay for lots of art being created.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that on plan writing correlates to on plan eating.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for having a DD who'll eat "Mediterranean Kale & Bean Sauté."

Beverlyjoy – Boy, did this grab my fancy, "a platter of multicolored peppers/sliced tomatoes/fresh mozzarella (with a garlicy evoo drizzle on the side."

maryann - Kudos for "back on plan within 15 mins" - seems like time to recovery is a key to success.

Pam (pamatga) – Congrats on six pounds gone - even if a few were water. And Kudos for so carefully planning your exercises for a gradual buildup.

SuperChick - Really clear thinking there - to get back on plan and avoid a round of self-loathing. It's like getting dunked by a wave; you climb back on board and catch the next one.

Alana in Canada - Ouch for kids up until 2am - Double Ouch that you're up also. Today appears to be the rapid recovery day on the Beck Thread - join the club and get back on track.

Tazzy - Like the thought of picking new potatoes from your garden - we've never grown them. Had to google 'orange roughy' - it's a sea perch for those not familiar. Kudos for using your walk to explore the neighborhood with your DH - makes it fun.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
It helps you in several other ways, too:
what to do . . .
Here's what to do:
. . .
5. Add back in distractions when you're ready. Try eating while watching TV, talking to a companion, or reading a magazine. See if you can alternate your focus from the food to the distraction and back again. If this task is too hard, go back to eating meals with no distractions and then try again at a later date. Keep practicing - it will get easier.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 63.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 206/195/165 (for now)

Height: 5' 2"

Hello all! As BillBE just pointed out, it is rapid recovery day on the web - and I must admit that I need to join up myself. Not sure what triggered my moods this weekend, but I too took a break from everything. The only credit I can think of it that while I definitely over-ate, it was mostly healthy food since I took the Beck step of setting up my environment to the extreme, and I was too lazy to go get any real junk food! But the scale reflected my apathy and higher calorie count.

So back on track.........propping those ARCs on my desk. Packed a healthy lunch for the office. And trying my best to move forward without much dwelling. Reading everyone's posts has definitely given me a lot to think about it. Perhaps I should have tried that in the middle of my weekend funk...

Have a good day everyone!

Last edited by missyj; 08-15-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #171  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Default Detox monday

Morning guys, unsurprisingly after a day and a half of overeating, the scale is up – by almost 3lb!!!! I do not believe that this is all extra fat, as I did overate but I’m pretty sure I didn’t eat 10,000 calories yesterday… I hope it’s just water retention from eating processed foods…

Credits: I’m tired today but have started my detox. I went to the gym before work, weighed in, checked in, read my ARC.

Non-credit: after my morning weigh-in, the mixture of shock over the gain and tiredness meant that I accidently locked the loft key inside of the loft… hopefully my neighbour will be in later to lend me his so I can retrieve it… otherwise no weigh-in for me tomorrow morning… oops!

A lot to catch up on from over the weekend but I’ll try…

Alana – I know exactly how you feel. I felt like I’d regressed totally yesterday, just eating everything in sight! Feels good to be back on track today, I hope you’re getting back on track too

BBE – good work with the carrots – they’re probably my favourite snack, I love the crunch

Pam – I really liked you’re extended post; ‘it’s just food, it never was anything else, we just forgot’ very wise and it gave me food for thought, so to speak!

Erika – you sound so positive at the moment you’ll have to put the bean / kale recipe on the thread, it sound good

Maryann – good work on recognising the food cannot cure the blues… I find it tends to add to it, if anything…

Hello to everyone else that I’ve missed
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #172  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sneaking in to say that, although I don't have time to post, I do read daily.

Bill's "Drifting away from plan just a little does seem to lubricate the slope to drift away more." It was very good for me to read that this morning, particularly since drifting has gained em five pounds in the last six weeks. It inspired me to finally change my prevaricating and procrastinating after several "Whee"kends!

Kudos to you all for the inspirational reading.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning everyone!

Just a short note as it's my first day back from vacation and I have 63 emails to work through.

Had my first official WI this morning and down to 178, very happy with that as my starting weight on Aug 01 was 184.4. I know it won't be that much every week and I'm focusing on 5 pounds at a time.

Happy Monday!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks - yesterday was right on track up until dinner. I had my dinner planned at the chinese restaurant and they didn't have any sea bass. I asked the waitress to substitute salmon. She said... no no no. I asked for suggestions for something lite... she kept saying they can control how spicy things are. She did not speak English well and was getting nowhere. There were 25 people watching order and I wasn't getting any where. So, I did find a seafood veggie dish all cooked with a wine sauce. Did not really taste very good. Way too salty. Next time I will go in the and ask the chef for what a want!!!!! (or ask the manager) LOL I am still mad about.... and I need to get over it!

I was frustrated and did eat a little extra when I got home. (You know - the chocolate milk and cold garlic bread way to fix it eating too much at a restaurant - LOL) Today is a new day. I will take my own in advice: You can't change the past or even predict the future... but, I can concentrate on getting through TODAY healthfully. I will drink extra was from all the salt.

I appreciate your support and encouragement.

Have a healthy and good day!!!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-15-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #175  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had another 100% day yesterday, yay! But forgot to weigh myself this morning. Not sure what was on my mind at that moment -- must have been interesting!

We did a side by side taste test of red watermelon and yellow watermelon (a variety called Yellow Doll). The yellow was sweeter, but less watermelony. They were beautiful together, though. Jewel colors!

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +50 590/1300 minutes and 13/33 miles for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #176  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GD everyone! Ruthxxxx, I remember you from other groups here on fatchicks. Great having you peek in to see how we are "conducting" ourselves. There is good energy, great words of wisdom and awesome fellow "Becksters".

Beverlyjoy It is very frustrating when a person puts so much into their plan to have someone who is not as committed to it unravel it. I agree---next time go to the manager and/or chef. In fact, I have a favorite Greek restaurant I like to go to and I am going to suggest to them or actually tell them that I really like to have chopped spinach, fire-roasted tomatoes and feta cheese all mixed up in my omelets. Who knows? They might end up adding our "suggestions" as regular items on their menus. If not, at least, we walked away a happy customer. If you are hesitant about doing this, we frequent Applebee's often. We prefer the one closest to us because they are just so open to suggestions regarding tweaking their existing menu. In fact, just recently when we once again asked for a change in the vegetable side from seasonal to all broccoli, the waiter said "No problem, that is the only way we do it any more". Since we know everyone there, I asked (sheepishly ) "Could that be because people are always asking for all broccoli (not just us)?" and she said "Yes." [Note: it is also nice that we aren't made to feel 'weird' because we asked the food to be tailored to our needs either--big plus]

So, see, it doesn't hurt to speak up. Now, I am going to work on them with their "free appetizer with two steak dinners" special to include a garden salad instead of all the deep fried stuff. I mean, c'mon......

Stats for Day 7 BLC Buddy Challenge (yesterday):

**"Official Weigh In" 262.2 lbs exactly so I "released" 6 lbs and my understanding is it was last spotted floating down the Chatahootchee River. Fine with me. Good-bye and good riddance. TY Bill for noticing. Yes, the first couple were sodium "bloat" from the previous weekend but the rest was because I worked for them. I know I did.

**2491 cal. and 3041 mg sodium with 37 g of fiber.
**Walked 1.25 miles (use pedometer for accuracy)
**Did 15 minutes at 1.5 mph non-stop on treadmill rockin' to 60s music
**Did 2 sets of 15 reps for 7 upper body strength exercises and did 2 sets of 15 reps for 7 lower body exercises. I am currently doing 120 reps of 3 different ab exercises as well.

**3 servings of vegs split between tomato and spinach. Tried some pasta that s'posedly has 1 whole serving of vegetables in. I wouldn't buy it again. It just wasn't very tasty. I am not going to "spend" my precious calories on food that is yukky!!
**3 servings of fresh fruit: whole apple, cantalope from my organic garden [ok, I am proud of that] and strawberries.

Tip for Today or Any Day:
**Opt Out! I have Opted Out of Quitting.
**I am in this for the long haul, whether it takes me 10 months or 10 years, I am going to stay the course.

Words from Beck Diet Solution:

** NO CHOICE.[to fail]
**Say over and over to yourself, "I refuse to fail. I have NO CHOICE but to succeed."

(see you can look at NO CHOICE in two different ways. It just dawned on me today!-hey, I'm a blonde, cut me some slack)

**I have a plan. I will follow it -NO IFS, ANDS OR BUTS.

Great Job everyone in posting, being so supportive of each other, staying positive and sharing. There is no I in Team Work but there is YOU. YOU do make a difference!!

Peace and Love Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 08-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #177  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default a mixed bag

Hi Coaches

I got up at 8am, rushed out to buy the material I need to make my sculptures this week (lots of packing tape) for this weekend's Lumiere Festival (a night-time celebration of light). I got what I needed and when I came home I made breakfaat for DH as he was procrastinating BIG TIME. He wanted to stay home as this week someone from his office is on holiday so he inherits their projects and then next week someone else is away and the same thing happens to him again. I asked him when his next week off is and reminded him to book the week of Halloween off for our 20th anniversary. I suggested a drive to Salem Mass. for our Halloween anniversary. It seemed to catch his interest.

But I digress.

So I got him off to work and then I... flaked out. I totally forgot to weigh in and truth be told, I too am on the "get back on plan" bandwagon. I got back from the tea room yesterday and DH wanted to go out for dinner. Turned out he got paid early and after two weeks of austerity measures we chowed down on chicken wings and flatbread. Yum. We were in one of the most enchanting small town main streets I've ever seen: Unionville. Huh. I was so surprised. It reminded me of several charming towns I've been in all rolled into one. We'll be back there again. DH took me to the Big Sugary Confection Place with all kinds of over the top sweet things and I... didn't want anything. Nothing. I was full, not overfull, and I just didn't want it. I wanted fruit. But then, in the grocery store, we saw an overthetop cake, with a $2 off sticker and it came home with us. Even this was consumed with moderation... at first. We ate our small piece (it was a 6" mini-cake) and agreed it was "so sweet" and put it aside. Then, 3 hours later, I wanted more and had another piece. Then this morning, after breakfast, I had to hold back before I ate the rest. I was halfway through the 2/3rds of the remaining cake, so I stopped and called DH at work to ask if he wanted cake when he got home cause I was about to eat it all, and he said yes, save me cake and now it's banished to the back of the fridge.

So. I did have food sanity, and then I got my cravings back. I have a slight tug towards the cake in the fridge but it's not big one. I did eat more than I have been for breakfast though, all in "substituting" or trying to avoid the cake. That was rattling around my brain as I searched to satisfy the cravings the cake elicited. I ate a pint of blueberries and a banana and 2 eggs and 1.5sl bacon hoping to kill the cake cravings. So. I'll be happy to see the cake go bye-bye tonight.

My dinner is sane and planned.
I will do a WATP workout sometime today before I go to bed.
I will drink my water today.
I will paint my paintings and start my sculptures today.

That's it. Thanks for being here coaches.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 180/173.6/155

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone. I didn't get a chance to check in this weekend, so I thought I'd better report on how it went and give myself some credit:

Saturday - Good Beck day. Got in 60 minutes of treadmill time, and stayed OP even though I went to a BBQ. Credit to me for bringing my own chicken breast skewers because I knew they were serving hot dogs and burgers and I wanted something healthier. I loaded up my plate with two different green salads, had a small portion of the potatoes my husband made, and ate my chicken. When the hostess brought out dessert, I had one piece (as I had planned) and that's all. Last time we had a BBQ at these friend's house, I ate sooo much, including several servings of dessert. Felt much better this time! I focused on the fun, and not on the food.

Sunday - Stayed OP with my eating 100%. I started reading my ARCs in the morning but got sidetracked and never got through them. No planned exercise because I always take Sunday off, although I did go for a little walk with the family.

Today - weighed in and saw a small gain for the first time since starting this. Disappointing, because yesterday I was only .4 from my first 5 pound goal, and now I'm .8 away. But I tried not to worry about it too much. I've been doing well and the numbers will reflect that in the long run. Great exercise today. Did 4.5 miles on the treadmill, with 2.5 miles of that running. Feels good to be back running a bit, although I'm a long way from where I was a year ago. I might also go for a bike ride later, depending on when the hubby gets home from work.

More credit for today... today was my husband's first day back at work (he's a teacher), and the principal put together a BBQ lunch for the faculty and their families. I knew there would be zero healthy choices, so I ate before I went over and didn't eat a thing while I was there. I just socialized.

So things are going well. I'm kind of worried though because whenever I commit to being healthy/dieting/etc. I tend to be very focused and on track for a week or two, then I lose my motivation and go back to my old ways. I'm hoping that it will be different this time, because Beck truly is a completely different approach then I've ever taken before. Still, I'd welcome any advice on how to maintain motivation and keep going strong long term.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #179  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

We are back from vacation and now it's time to enjoy our vacation from the family. Whew! We do have fun but we have varied interests, personalities, food needs and different levels of physical activity. It's certainly a test of patience for every one of us to bend a little to make things work. Yesterday food had many twists and the end result was sane. I had my green smoothie and helped pack a healthy picnic lunch for our drive home. Come lunch it was pouring so we decided to drive on and snacked on some healthier corn chips. 7 hours in I had a piece of the healthy rhubarb cake. We arrived home and had to p/u the dog which was another hour drive RT. I passed many pizza places on the way home and decided to make my own anyway. Conclusion: Sane Day *credit* especially for returning with leftover chips and making my own dinner.

I'd like to get caught up with you all...I've also got unpacking to do (I had to prepare for my yoga class I taught this morning). I'm going to get organized and I'll be back. I need to sit down, too, and reorganize my food plan.

BBL
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Hello all! Just checking in. I had a rough week last week (seems it was a theme!) but I recovered and was down 2lbs today! One more week and hopefully I'll be down 20!! I absolutely love the Beck tips and find that what she talks about definitely goes on in my head! I listened to day 20 today (I think) where she talks about straying from plan, and not ruining the whole day because of it. She says it's absolutely natural that we "fall off the wagon" once in a while because no one's perfect. Just draw a line and decide to start over. Pretty awesome stuff!!
I downloaded a motivational book this weekend to help get me through the last month of this deployment, so that helped me have a refreshed attitude and keep up the intense working out and calorie counting! I'm feeling good and finally getting some comments on the weight loss, so that is really awesome. It sounds like today was a great day for everyone to get back on track, so here's to another good week!!
*hugs*
Oriana
Closed Thread