Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Default Q about getting started

Hi, you guys! I'm so happy I found this sub-forum. I hadn't heard of the Beck Solution before and I think it might be exactly what I need. I have found a way of eating that has been working for me weight-wise (though I am hitting a little rough spot right now). Part of this woe involves eating only once or twice a day, which has been so wonderful in terms of liberating me from having to think about food all of the time. BUT I still have the problem that there are times that I think about food more than I need to and sometimes I get the munchies -- but I think that's all out of habit and I need to break that habit. When I feel true hunger, I eat, the rest of the time I don't want to be obsessing about food!

Anyhow... I ordered the book (pink one) and I'm looking forward to reading it but also wondering a couple of things. First, can I go ahead and start without my book? I found this blog: http://beckdietgirl.blogspot.com/200...o-do-list.html -- and I'm thinking of just jumping in and getting started on the first few days. Is there any reason not to? My second question is, is it going to be a problem that I'm already so hooked into my current woe? It has been so great for me (this is the first time I've managed to lose a single pound in 20 years!) and I don't think I can give it up.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

The blog you linked to is pretty comprehensive. I'm like you, when I find something I want to do I want it now. I see no reason why you couldn't "start" while you're waiting for your book. You are actually asked not to make any radical changes with your eating during the first two weeks as you learn some of the skills. Like you, I was already dieting and happy with my WOE before coming to Beck. I did, however, pick a back up plan, as suggested.

I don't see why your WOE would be affected by BDS. You are asked to write a food plan the evening before, then write any changes to your plan as they might come up. On South Beach Diet I was accustomed to just winging it. I have found that writing down a plan (although I don't do it every day) has helped me understand more about myself.

Interesting...at the suggestion of one of our coaches, I have done some tweaking of my plan, for the sake of eliminating boredom. After reading on the IF thread here at 3FC, I decided to give it a try. I do just fine going until lunch without eating...my blood sugar is quite stable. After two months, I have decided to return to my original plan which was a super healthy green smoothie in the morning. I found that they were an important part of my nutritional program and that with IF I was just not getting them in regularly. Just yesterday, I started adding them back in before I head out for exercise.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Thanks, Debbie! I'm in! I wrote my ARC last night and I'm making a copy of it now (slowly as my two year-old is so interested, I don't know that he's seen me sit down with a pen and paper before, lol). I have a lot of good reasons to lose some weight!

I'm a little concerned about my "diet plan". I had a very firm plan that got me to this point -- if I ate two meals a day it was bacon between 11 am and 1 pm and then two burger patties and two slices of cheddar around 6-7 pm, if one meal it was 2 burgers/cheese and 4 slices of bacon around 6-7 pm, period, no deviating. But I hit this wall a while back and I literally cannot eat another cheeseburger.

So, I have been experimenting with slightly different ways of eating. And it's different enough that I don't have any idea if it's going to work for me. I'm trying one meal a day, 6-7 pm, a quart of whole milk yogurt and some bacon. If it works out for me, that'll be great, but I think it'll be a few days before I know (today will be day 2) if I can actually lose this way. And if it turns out I can't, I'll have to do some more trial and error. Because of my diabetes, normal diets just plain don't do anything for me weight-wise. My endocrinologist has told me that he has NEVER seen a type I lose weight, so I'm a little scared I will have to suck it up and go back to cheeseburgers somehow.

Anyhow, I am not going to have a concrete diet plan by day 2 -- which I guess is today -- but I hope to have it nailed down by the two week point, when you're supposed to start your diet.

I'm thinking I'll jump in tomorrow for the new August support thread.

Last edited by rubidoux; 07-31-2011 at 04:51 PM.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote