Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner on the patio for one of the great pleasures of summer. CREDIT moi for some walking and for being conscious of my portion sizes, even though not fully on plan, at an unexpected eating event. Food seems to be appearing in my life out of thin air.

Anne (WonderAnne) - Would think that knowing you had that app on your iPhone would be a continuous reminder that you have a plan.

onebyone - Yay for water therapy; lakes, rivers, oceans - they all calm me down.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - When I'm off the Internet, I feel abandoned. It takes a few days before I feel free.

CeeJay - Yard work seems to use muscles that the gym never touches.

Lexxiss - Ouch for complications and details; the devil lies in both. [Too bad the solar battery thingy didn't work out - I wanted one.]

pamatga - LOL at being the poster girl for killing tomato plants. Kudos for getting a little assertive and chasing after that skin thing on your DH.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Mastering the Success Skills before you
change what you eat will make the difference
between starting and abandoing another
diet - or losing weight for life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 52.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #122  
Green Tomatoes

A long and varied and interesting to do list today. So here's a fly-by checkin. Meals planned. Exercise planned. And I'm off!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/coaches/becksters - I have been in a bad place with food. The staph infection I had last summer has come back. It just got me and I medicated my stress, disappointment, anger with food. Of course, it didn't do anything except put a couple more pounds on. This time I went directly to the dermatologist and got some antibiotics. He says that I may be prone to this.

I got new shoes, so I had to start 'all over' with easing into my foot/ankle brace. Wearing them makes my back ache. I am hoping for the best. This has been the worst year of my life, healthwise....... but, I can't change the past, nor predict the future. I just can get through today.

One thing I can do today is have 'aware' eating. I will slow down, put my fork down, eat seated, write it all down.

Thanks for being here, always, for me - so supportive, helpful and more.

PS... I didn't totally run away. I still posted daily at the gratitude thread at the 100 pound club. It's the anchor that always keeps me connected to 3fc.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #124  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Coaches -

Well, the craziness of spring concert season did me in for a while. I missed being here. Yesterday was my last concert of the season and also my first OP day in quite a while. I spent a lot of transit time rereading Beck, listening to podcasts, etc. to pump up my motivation. So I'm jumping back in now with WW and Beck (as well as OA).

My new piano came a couple of weeks ago and it has just been a joy, though I haven't had a lot of time to play it yet. I'm really looking forward to having lots of hours on it in the summer months.

Here we go again - one day at a time!
Cheers,
Erika
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #125  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question my monday

Hi Coaches.

Well, I haven't eaten over it *credit* but I sure want to. You know, most days I can hop on and off that scale and it really doesn't phase me. I'll take a *credit* right now for that. But this morning was different. I stepped on and I am back up 2lbs. I know why. or I think I know why: I ate too late, I ate pre-made/packaged food=extra salt for sure=water weight, and the food had one ingredient that I am not supposed to have. I didn't realize that until I was almost done eating. I chose not to stop either so that wasn't great. In the end it was a non-OP food and I am back to day 1 of being OP. I am feeling down about starting and re-starting. I need to switch gears as there aren't any bumps in the road ahead so I have everything I need to remain OP.
I just wanted to see a drop and to be rid of these 280's.
Quote:
"What if the pounds won't go?" my inner saboteur says. "You may as well forget it/don't do it/give in because look, it isn't working. Face it."
I'm hearing that stuff but I'm not listening. *credit* Okay I'm leaving my saboteur here. I'll check in later. Bye
Old 06-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
The camp site was beautiful; it was on the beach in Northern California. The sun came out every afternoon and the biking was terrific. The family dynamics were, however, treacherous. While DS had the time of his life with family, I was uncomfortable, resentful and petty. At least I felt that on the inside. When my car died, I had no emotional reserves. Rather than dealing with it myself I called my DH who was 3 hours away. There is no greater loving act a spouse can do for a wife than answer an unjustifiable summons so that she can cry on his shoulder and watch him replace a battery. Although my DH doesn't have a lot of expressive dialog, his simple reply to my unreasonable request was a complete statement of love. He said only, "What is the address?" So, on the whole, a valuable though difficult weekend. I learned a lesson in love. I was able to be more compassionate to my parents. I kept wheat free and ate protein with everything. But I ate too large of portions and was a whopping FOUR POUNDS higher this morning. Credit for the act of faith today in staying OP and staying out of morbid self pity over the weight gain. Credit for planning "body combat" class for exercise. Credit for not getting derailed from packing because I am leaving for Goddard in TWO days. I wanted to be at goal when I left. I forget that expectations and instead say, "I will stay OP for today."
Hopefull will catch up on personals before I leave.

Last edited by maryann; 06-20-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 AM   #127  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default Summer Solstice

Hi Coaches!

Well Rudi has crossed over and Bing is taking his new job, "Alpha Dog" quite seriously. We are sad but somewhat relieved. It has been a hard year since Rudi dislocated his hip last July. He was happy right until the end but my back was tired. Grateful to have known him. I will, however, need to find another daily weight lifting activity.

I am grateful that I didn't have to EE (emotional eat) over it. It was such a painful day and I had such a strong feeling that I didn't want to carry the burden of horrible off plan eating with my memory of my pup . It was a healthy day and today feels much better with the notch of yesterday's success on my smaller belt. *credit*

Today, we'll start to resume our new lives. We traveled yesterday and had snow on both our mountain passes. It is nice here and the garden is very happy. I'll ride my bike and bounce around in the pool with friends. My meals for the week are planned….tonight we're having "Farmer's Market Improv". I'm anticipating the experience of choosing our healthy meal from an array of fresh delights.

I'll add personals later...I have some quiet time to get organized this morning. For me, moving forward with organizaton =sane eating.

BillBlueEyes, yay for patio dining! Keeping a check with portion sizes, even when eating off plan is "thinking like a thin person" . *credit* I checked my cucumbers...they are coming along nicely.

maryann, ouch for the predictability of family(of origin) dynamics. How touching your family (of choice) would just come to your rescue when asked. Kudos for determination to stay in the present instead of getting lost in unfulfilled expectations.

onebyone, I don't have a response card because it's engrained on my brain now but...if I really really want the scale go go down, I have to rigorously monitor sodium/processed food. "I can eat this processed sodium laden food or I can watch the scale move down but I can't have both." It's just water and I hope you were able to fend off your inner saboteur.

Erika(eusebius), yay for a successful concert season and an immediate return to OP eating. You mention podcasts to pump up your motivation. I'm curious as to what you're listening to.

Beverlyjoy, all we have is today. Thanks for the reminder. Sorry to hear of your ongoing and ever changing medical situation. Good for you staying aware. I know you check in daily with the 100 pound club. *credit*

gardenerjoy, I hope you enjoyed your day! *credit* for a fly-by check in.

SuperChick,yay for your first day of a healthy eating plan and for sticking with i!. Little steps add up big. *credit* for "just doing it"

Pam(pamatga), I think "...making the most of some bad days by keeping busy, busy, busy and by putting it all in God's hands" is a very successful strategy. Sending supportive thoughts as DH makes DR. appts.

Anne(AnneWonders), as I read your post you wondered if an app could motivate you. I followed gardenerjoy's lead and regularly "switch around" things I do regarding food/tracking/etc. I do find that things like an app CAN help motivate me. Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with day to day life despite your "personal crisis." I can't even imagine laundry with kids.

CeeJay I hope your yard work got done and that you were able to say no to sugar.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-21-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The electric code has changed so that arc-fault circuit interrupters must be added when wiring is changed. No big deal - except that the old circuit breaker box doesn't hold them. So you need a new box. Ouch.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. All the guys were swapping stories about being in the crowds during the Stanley Cup parade for the Boston Bruins on Saturday. It was quite a mob.

onebyone - Kudos for, "but I'm not listening" to those Sabotaging Thoughts. You'd think they'd get discouraged and give up, LOL.

Erika (eusebius) - So exciting to think of a new piano; Kudos for following through and completing that purchase.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a to-do list that's interesting. Are you still including photography in your activities?

Beverlyjoy - Sounds like a sane plan, "I just can get through today." We're cheering you on.

maryann - Kudos for, "I will stay OP for today." (Apparently, our theme for day - such an important one.) Congrats for finding joy in a difficult and fun trip. Can't wait to hear the Goddard experiences.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

reality check
If you are thinking: I have to lose weight as quickly as possible. It's OK to change my eating and learn these skills as I go along.

Face reality: The only way to lose weight permanently is to master these skills before you start the diet.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #129  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Morning Coaches, hope I find you all well. So, yesterday was the first day of my healthy eating plan, and i'm pretty pleased to say that i managed to stay on plan all day I did some planned and unplanned exercise and stayed committed. I think that part of the reason was that this time i've picked a plan that isn't super restrictive: I'm allowed carbs (small regular portions) and even a small treat a day if i want it (a couple squares of dark chocolate or a small glass of wine). I just need to not be dissappointed or demotivated by slow and steady weightloss as opposed to surviving on soup and losing a lot of lbs in a week (probably a lot of it was water anyway).

Yesterday I ate all of my meals sitting down (credit) and did my meal planning for the today (credit) and turned down some chocolate from a workmate (double credit!). I have friends coming over this evening for food, so this will be my first proper test - i have a tendency of late to have a couple of glasses of wine and then eat more than I should. I need to stick to one small wine and a small portion of dessert (budgeted for). Getting used to saying 'no thanks' is a whole new world for me!

BBE: eating outside sounds divine! It's currently raining here in scotland
Onebyone: Don't feel down about starting and restarting - nobody is perfect and you seem to know exactly what you need to do to get back on track. The negative thoughts won't help to motivate you - credit for leaving those sabotaging thoughts in the internet ether!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #130  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile Tuesday Trumps Monday

Hi Coaches

I stuck to my plan yesterday and hopped on the scale this morning. *credit* It told me I was down 3.3lbs = 282.9 (according to my ongoing calculations). Closing in on 280. I would never have been thrilled to see 280 coming into view but I have carried this weight for so long it's started to feel somewhat normal. People can get used to anything. It's true. Doesn't mean you should though...

I got a whole bunch of turnips at the store and now need to find those recipes that called for turnips! That's part of what I am doing today.

I'm off now. Have a good day out there everyone

UPDATE: spent my first half hour/hour in the community garden tonight. I stayed for as long as my back could take it. I didn't want to over do my first real physical challenge to my back since I hurt it. I did stay long enough to work up a sweat which felt good. *credit*

Last edited by onebyone; 06-21-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... I did it! I got through the healthfully... am grateful for that. I stayed on my food plan, drank lots of water, did my stretches, & wrote down what I ate. I am planning and hoping for today, too.

Thanks for always being here supporting and cheering me and others on to learning to live healthfully with food.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

Another flyby, but it's better than not posting at all for keeping me on track. Great to see Beverlyjoy and eusebius back here.

Lexxiss: sorry for the loss of Rudi
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #133  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Coaches/Buddies!

I'm having a lovely relaxed day at home, interspersing my practicing with lots of reading and breaks for healthy meals. I have been doing qi gong and find that it improves my energy levels and mood quite a bit. It feels great to be back in a healthy mode.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - so sorry for the loss of Rudi. (((Hugs)))
- The podcasts I listen to: dharma talks by Zen priest Judith Ragir, who is also a veteran of 12-step programs such as OA; Inside Out Weight Loss by Renee Stephens; and OA speakers from the Los Angeles intergroup website.

BillBE - That Bruins parade must have been massive. Were you anywhere near it? Ouch for not-so-pleasant renovation surprises.

SuperChick - Big Kudos for your first OP day!! I agree that slow and steady is the way to go - plus dark chocolate and wine are good for you right?

onebyone - WTG on the weight loss!

Beverlyjoy - Great job with your healthy day yesterday!!

gardenerjoy - Thanks, I'm really happy to be back and also to hear from you

Time to practice a bit more ... Enjoy the day, all!
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: no
Qi Gong: Yes
Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Coaches: Good afternoon. Sounds like there is a lot of success in the room today. That is terrific. Second day OP for me. Dropped a little of the camping weight. I feel good and it seems so easy to stay OP without family around. Busy/good today. Took DS to the day camp he will be attending while I am gone and am really reveling in the solitude. I have been fiddling with packing, tidying up, errands and it has been relaxing to have no agenda and no pace set by a 9YO. I am excited to have figured out some little things I have put on the back burner. Finally got the Dr. to diagnose my toe which has been killing me for two months. Infection from pedicure! So irritating to have PAID for pain. The medicine has already improved it bunches. Figured out how to put ocean sleep music on my ipod and make it repeat. Now I can wear it on my Redeye to Goddard tomorrow. Lots of peace - I have planned and worked long and hard to be hear today and it feels tremendous.
BBE: From plumbing to electric codes. The re-model is an adventure certainly. Credit for you and DW to be brave enough to step into the jungle. Seems it would be easier to discover the fountain of youth. ( or maybe you have with Beck?)
Lexxiss: So sorry about you loss. I have an advantage card that mimics your feelings "Why taint the moment with negative overeating?"
Onebyone: Credit for your weightloss. It is amazing what the human body can assimilate into being "normal". On the other side, it can also revel in the change to health as well. I found that after being overweight my whole life. I feel a new normal now which is freeing.Keep up the good work.
Eusibius: Sounds like a great day - healthy, moderate and disciplined. I love days like that.
Beverleyjoy: Great to hear about your successes today.
Superchick: Congrats on your great day. I am also allowed a small amount of carbs and a treat if planned. It has work very well for me over the last 10 months. I looked forward to the vening treat. In my case it was a cheesestick and one Reese's peanutbutter cup.

Last edited by maryann; 06-21-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Rode my bike for some exercise, CREDIT moi. I'm in the market for a cordless phone if any of you guys have experience with one that makes you happy.

onebyone - Yay for turnips; do share those recipes you discover that are particularly tasty.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Waving as she flies by, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for making a food plan and sticking to it. And for keeping to your stretches - wish I'd do that.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Goodby Rudi - great to have lived a long and happy life. Kudos for traversing a deeply emotional event without using food.

maryann - Bon Voyage to Goddard this evening. Congrats for chasing down your toe issue to resolution.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for qi gong - particularlly for making me go to Wiki since it's a new one for me. And Yay for plannig a healthy, balanced day. [I avoided the 1.5 million closely packed folks at the Bruins Stanley Cup parade; I waved and cheered from home.]

SuperChick - Yep, Double Kudos for turing down chocolate from a workmate - there are so many bogus reasons to feel that it would be OK to accept. And Kudos for getting planning and sitting down to eat under way. [Your mention of the rain only reminds me that I want to visit Scotland; have only made it to England and Wales.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 1
Motivate yourself daily
For many years, researchers at Brown University have been gathering records from people who have lost an average of 70 pounds and kept it off for an average of 6.5 years. They created the National Weight Control Registry, which now includes data from thousands of successful maintainers. Many of them had tried to lose weight a number of times before they finally reached their goal and stayed there. What made the difference? What helped them finall achieve lasting weight loss?

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-23-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Typos
Closed Thread