3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution June 2011 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #91

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

I've been lurking, but wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm looking southeast right now and the biggest glowing moon is coming up from the horizon. It is beautiful !

My days on program are greater than days off recently, so credit me. I had a bad few months, but seem to have gotten it back together again. I guess my sabotaging thoughts needed review, and now that I hear them I am doing well at silencing them when they try to pop up. Whew. This journey takes persistence, not perfection !

Glad everyone is continuing on. I enjoy reading your posts, and appreciate that I'm able to lurk and benefit from your adventures.

Last edited by Woodland : 06-15-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #92

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including half of the lasagna left over from dinner at the Sports Bar a few days ago. It's such an eye opener that DW and I split the take home portion of her dinner order. Restaurant portions boggle the mind.

Locally, we're a bit excited to bring the Stanley Cup home to Boston after 39 years. Winning sports lifts the tenor of a city.

onebyone - Kudos for "being prepared in advance" - it never ceases to amaze me that with a plan I can stay the path, and without one it's easy to drift.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - hmmmm... seems like you've discovered a new version of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle where you can't write and exercise at the same time. May you find a way.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - This inspires me, "I stopped *credit* and decided to go to bed early" - because I'm reminded that success can emerge from difficulties and stress.

Woodland - Kudos for being able to take joy in a glowing moon - the kind of serenity that allows life to happen. Gotta love your reminder, "persistence, not perfection !"

GardeningDeb - Kudos for persisting in your walks despite the rain. Yep, I know that eating while moving thing - it really surprised me when I came to notice it.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan
Here are the guidelines for acquiring these skills:
. . .
  • Fill out the Stage 1 Success Sheet (pages 266-267) every night! Don't progress to Stage 2 until you have checked every box for seven consecutive nights. It's important that you master these skills before you start following the Think Thin Initial Eating Plan. Keep in mind that not mastering them never helped you lose weight and keep it off in the past.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 51.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #93
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

hello everyone - I just wanted to say hi! I'm currently reading through the pink Beck book and starting some of the tasks - i'm on day 3 (eat sitting down) so i probably won't be posted here too much till i actually start my plan / have questions but i just wanted to introduce myself
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #94
move

S/C/G: 291/279.3 lastweek/274.3 now

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Thursday morning here

Hi Coaches

credit weighed in at 284something (-2.6lbs) credit OP breakfast credit food planned for the daycredit drinking my water OP too

Thursday. Don't know what I "should" do today. I still have the same tasks in front of me: paint paintings/clean freezer/do dishes/open boxes-sort contents. What do I want to do? Nothing. I think I'm blue. I feel like I just want to withdraw and stay quiet. I should probably do the opposite though I don't know if I will.

Okay, time to do something. I think I will work on a painting. That'll be a positive thing for me to do.

SuperChick Welcome to the group. Post as often or as little as you want. We all do our own thing here, and we all use Beck to support our foodplans and choices around food. It works.

Billblueeyes Congrats to your Boston Bruins on winning the Stanley Cup. That is one fine sports trophy to hoist. It's substantial! I did want the cup to "come back home" as we say, but that last game (which I watched until the end of the 2nd period, then left it to watch something else then watched the Bruins kissing and hoisting the cup after they won as they skated around with it. I like that part. Working hard and getting the Big Prize. How great is that?) was clearly dominated by the Bruins. They deserved it so BRAVO! I was surprised, kind of, that Vancouver rioted. I EXPECT that of Montreal but Vancouver has a funny vibe to it. Kind of schitzy. Just opportunistic for the looters. I saw a clip of a Coach (high end purses) store looted. What does that have to do with losing a hockey series/game? Nothing. Stupid. Oh! Guess I stepped on a there. My bad. Enjoy the tickertape parade...will they have one??

Have a good day Coaches.

Last edited by onebyone : 06-16-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #95
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/maintaining below 170

Yay! A new low. I've been being quite careful with my food recently in hopes of seeing another of those soon. I'm still not on track with exercise but yesterday and today I have lots of yardwork, which I'm counting at about half time and is also motivating me to do some stretching so that I don't get stiff. Good enough for now.

WI: -0.8kgs (new low), Exercise: +45 475/1300 minutes for June, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: congratulate Boston for me! I love when the Cardinals are in the running and suddenly everywhere you go around town, everyone is wearing red.

SuperChick: glad you made it over here!

woodland: great to see the little chipmunk come out of hiding! Yay for this: My days on program are greater than days off recently

onebyone: thanks for the vote of confidence. It is all about making adjustments, trying something and reassessing and trying again. Thanks for the reminder. And yay for all of your credits!

GardeningDeb: glad you were able to post and good job on getting in exercise in spite of the rain

Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #96

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
Back from Tahoe. It was beautiful and DS (now a 9yo!) and I were outdoors exercising like demons. Long hikes, long bikes. I love when my exercise doesn't feel like exercise. We will have some more outdoors fun camping the next 3 days on the San Francisco coastline. We are bringing bikes and allegedly you can bike to the fishing dock and order a fillet fresh from the bay to BBQ.
This is the third day OP and because I am traveling so much, I am trying to stay away from Wheat. It seems I am better able to stay OP on unstructured days if I just don't start with any bread, flour, stuff. At least this is the theory which has worked amazingly well so far. For me, it seems to truly limit portions and focus on fruit and veggie choices. So all the stuff I packed for DS and DN (goldfish, granola bars, bagels) I completely know are not mine.
BBE: I am iignorant in the ways of hockey but congrats. It was great to bring the baseball trophy home last year.
Superchick:Welcome. Learning to eat sitting down was HUGE for me.
onebyone: good for you to resist the urge to sit down when you know you will feel better to get a little something done.
Woodland: Glad there are more OP days then not. I am the same. I am 3 pounds from goal but feel optimistic today about the process.
gardenerjoy: Congrats on the new low.
Pamatga: I 100% agree that enriching your life takes priority over daily blogging.

Last edited by maryann : 06-16-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #97

Hello Everyone,
Had a more in control day today. Yeah.

Walked 40 mins.
Did 35 min. Power 90 Phase I Cardio workout, 4 min. Ab Ripper, 110 different crunches
Did 29 min. Power 90 Phase II Strength Training workout
Used the many colors array on dinner plate, fresh and cooked
Entered my foods: 1389 cals for the day so just under my 1400 target
Worked on sitting down to eat. Still needs some work but I am making progress.

Maryann,
Your trip to Tahoe and biking with DS sound great. Is it very hot in your area? Great job packing your foods and staying on track.

Gardenerjoy,
Congrats on the new low. Yard work really burns the calories.

Onebyone, Congrats on your loss too. I am keeping my fingers crossed for next week. Need to just keep working out and working on the steps.

SuperChick, I am on Day 3 eating sitting down too. I am thinking I need to master this step before I go on to the next.

Congrats on the Bruins winning, BillBlueEyes.

Hope everyone has a good night. Hopefully, I will sleep better tonight.

GardeningDeb

I couldn't post again but remembered to save the post this time. Says you don't have permission to post here. Will try again.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #98

S/C/G: 299/287/170

Hello Coaches:

Credits for today:

didn't eat any sugar
weighed myself
posted
ate planned breakfast, lunch and snacks
going to eat planned dinner now

that's it but it is better than yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and so on, and so on.

Thanks for always being here no matter how long I stay away for.

Regroup: August 29, 2014 at 292
Five pounds gone: Sept 6th

One for every 5 pounds:

Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #99

Thumbs up Welcome SuperChick

SuperChick

And also

How did you happen to find our about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find 3 Fat Chicks and this forum?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #100

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had this familiar thought that a handful of my DW's trail mix would help with the tension of renovation. Or a bowl, LOL. Didn't - CREDIT moi. Exercise was fuming over plumbers - Ouch.

onebyone - Choosing between sorting boxes and painting - you made the right choice with painting, LOL. [Thanks for the congrats. Yep, there'll be a parade for the Stanly Cup - the whole region is a bit psyched.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good idea to do some stretching. I find it hard to motivate myself to do it, but wish I was more flexible.

CeeJay - Yep, "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, They have to take you in" according to Robert Frost.

maryann - Love the thought of a "fillet fresh from the bay to BBQ." Kudos for knowing that the goldfish and stuff isn't for you.

GardeningDeb - That's some good exercising there, Kudos. Sounds like a good day indeed.

SuperChick - Yay for getting started. I felt that the sitting down strategy was a bit simplistic since I already did that. Or so I though until I begin to notice. To my surprise, I was eating standing up without thinking a lot. It was particularly vexing that I was nibbling from my plate as I carried it to the table - Ouch.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan
Here are the guidelines for acquiring these skills:
. . .
  • Contact your Diet Buddy each night after you have filled out the Success Skills Sheet. You don't necessarily have to make voice contact. You can e-mail or leave your buddy a voice-mail message. Before you talk about anything else, make sure to report on how your weight changed and on which skills you followed and which you didn't. If you weren't able to complete a task fully, ask for help so that you can do better the next day.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 51.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #101
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches! Yesterday OP despite red line stresses. *credit* Exercise was "patience" and riding my bike to my puzzle. I've dropped another pound without calorie counting. I think my vigilance with the counting for 2-1/2 mos. really gave me great information for portions, etc. for when I'm just too busy to run the info through my slow internet connection. Whole Foods AND Costco today...will remember to resist all samples.

BillBlueEyes, ...thought of looking up "calories burned" by "fuming over plumbers". Super yay for not diving into tree nuts cleverly disguised in trail mix.

SuperChick, welcome! Thanks for joining in. Best wishes as you start your journey with Beck DS.

gardenerjoy, yay for a new low and for an exercise plan which is "good enough for now".

onebyone, *credit* for *credits*! Perhaps part of your "blue" feeling comes from laying off the bad carbs?? Just a thought. Re:emotional eating and your prior comment to me; I sometimes feel like a failure when I EE. I've been reading one of Bob Greene's books. His take on emotional eating is that it doesn't miraculously change overnight. One keeps trying and progress is made. It helped me to remember to take each success very seriously and to be gentle with myself when I dive back in. Then it gets mathematical; the more times I resist VS indulge is directly proportional to weight staying or dropping VS rising. Oh, and regarding Dark Side VS Light Side. When we are on the Eastern Slope it stays light much later at night. Amazing!

GardeningDeb, yay for an exercise filled day and foods entered just under target!

Woodland, yay for more days on than off!

maryann, I love when exercise doesn't feel like exercise, too! Glad you had fun and are looking forward to biking SFO. You've given me an idea for the next time I visit! Yay for a travel plan which doesn't include wheat.

CeeJay, *credit* for posting a successful day. Just a thought...with kind wishes attached; I really find that posting everyday is such a helpful tool in "getting back on track." BBE's Beck post today supports the concept in "Beck terms", Contact your diet buddy each night. I know it's painful to the ego reporting a bad day, but it seems to really help the resolve for the following day (at least in my case). Stress and just "life in general" is so taxing.

Ok, off to take our dogs for a walk...with the old guy it isn't counted as exercise at all.

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #102
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Hi all of you coaches! So, heh...no slowdown in my life even though it's summer. I'm still reading everyone's postings (I subscribed to the thread and it comes to my phone, so I can read it at lunchtime), but my home computer is gathering dust. I'm taking a quick break at work to check in. I lost a teensy bit this week, and I'm below 160, so yea! I have really been working on reading my list of reasons for wanting to lose weight and cutting back on the impulse eating. I've been trying to remember to ask myself, "Which do you want more, this ____ or weight loss?" Sometimes I just eat the ___________, but I've also been able to refrain much of the time. Last night we ate at a local Italian restaurant, and I ordered the salmon with steamed veg, even though I was surrounded by pizza, pasta, and subs! I really didn't feel too deprived. I reminded myself that my dinner was fueling health, not flab.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #103

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
Off to camping this morning. Excited and still OP/wheat free. I made a terrific ricotta pancake with a little soy flour, eggs, olive oil and vanilla. Didn't miss the wheat. Not taking my scale with me (I usually bring it everywhere) but camping can get a bit grungier. I am confident that I will make good choices. I have an advantage card that says"I know how to lose weight. I have the skills."
Lexxiss: Congrats on the pound loss. A pound is a big deal - usually two weeks of work for me.
GardeningDeb: The weather is beautiful here maybe 90 degrees but no humidity. It will be cool at the beach - maybe 70 degrees.
BBE: What is calorie burn per hour over inadequacies?
wife2abadge: Congrats on under 160. That was a BIG number for me to dip under. It really made a difference in clothing size.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #104
move

S/C/G: 291/279.3 lastweek/274.3 now

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up TGIF all day

Hi Coaches

CREDITS
: Hopped on the scale this morning (I use my wii fit to weigh in now) and it read 284 (-0.7lbs). So I'll take that.
I have my food planned as far as I can plan it. CREDITS

We go to MIL for dinner tonight, and we'll sleep there so we'll have breakfast in the morning -- or not. We could be too busy getting the garage sale set up to eat. BUT I need to ensure I stay OP through our stay so I'm bringing some food to eat for breakfast no matter what. We are going to be pretty busy with the garage sale all day until about 1pm.

MIL stresses me out around food because I want to please her. It's weird. I feel great compassion for her as her own kids are kind of dismissive and mean/terse with her and so I try to not be that. I try to be soft and compassionate and I try to understand her and to listen to her. As a result she wants to be best friends and I can't do that and then when she wants to feed us I feel obligated to eat everything and thensome. I am having a tough time setting boundaries. When we lived far away our contact was limited. Now that we are so much nearer I'll have to figure this out. I am sure she'd support my weightloss efforts but I sure don't want to talk about it with her--or anyone except here.

maryann Have a great camping trip. It sounds wonderful. I'm hoping DH and I can get camping over his birthday: July3rd. It would be so good to get away and be near some water.

wife2abadge Congrats for being below 160! And kudos for making good choices and for remembering your goals instead of succumbing to momentary food pleasures. That's big.

Lexxiss Sorry about the red line stressors but Big Kudos for dealing with them without food. Awesome. I am pondering how daylight can last longer on the eastern side of the continental divide as we are all under the same fermiment/sky/atmosphere. It's just a bunch of rocks piled up high inbetween...? That's freaky.

BillBlueEyesPlumbers. My aunt encouraged me to be a plumber when I was 8 as I was always fixing our waterpump. Mostly it needed to be primed which I happily did. I could have been retired by now had I followed her advice. O well. *credit for not eating the offplan food. I doubt your plumbers would have behaved better had you eaten the bowl of stuff.

CeeJay Kudos for better and better days! Happy to see you

GardeningDeb Congrats for continuing with the Power 90 and other exercises, as well as eating on plan and following Beck strategies (eating sitting down). It's all good and it will = success. Awesome.

gardenerjoy YAY for the new low!

Time to go. I have to finish the dishes and generally clean up the kitchen. May attempt the freezer.... stay tuned.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #105
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

I just wanted to pop in and say hello to all you lovely Beck-sters. I was posting here a few months ago, but SO had a family emergency and things were rough going for a while. I have been reading the boards when I had time, but haven't been posting. I am going to look around the boards for some challenges to join, to help me jump-start my getting my head back in the game. SO and I would like to start TTC this year, and I would like to be in the healthy BMI range if possible when we do. So, I have my work cut out for me. Wishing everyone well!

One for every 5 pounds lost
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.