3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution June 2011 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/maintaining below 170

Height: 5'9"

Hi all! I'm not quite back to normal. But at least I went to the grocery store today. Tomorrow it may actually be possible for me to plan my food -- what a concept!

onebyone: hope you found dishes or something else to make you feel better

Gwen: yay for figuring out a calorie is a calorie. That one flummoxes me every now and again, too. I find that I can get away with guestimating for awhile, but I need to recalibrate now and again or the serving sizes grow.

Lexxiss: monster kudos for water instead of milkshake!

pamatga: you asked: "Which Beck skills helped you the most with those lost pounds?" I'd have to say reporting to my coaches, here, nearly every day -- I have no idea what else would have sustained me through a 5 month plateau!

Beverlyjoy: sounds like a great weekend!

BillBlueEyes: congrats on the heavy weights on Wednesday achievement! Nice to know that days of the week are not, in fact, aligned against us in that way.

GardeningDeb: good job doing the exercise even when you don't want to.

Woodland: cool antelope photo. We had a deer in our yard last night, but I'm not so thrilled with that. I think she is devouring my tomato plants before they even have a chance to bloom.

maryann: congrats on making it through another year to promoting your students

Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
in development

Height: 5' 6"

onebyone, you're lovely! I do washing up in 15 minute stints, FWIW.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #18

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Most of our furniture was taken by the movers - this rehab is gonna happen. I'm getting pretty focused on our own little minutia for the next stretch. I'm just learning that the Federal Government has taken over lead paint issues from the State Government and that it might just be cheaper for me to pay for the big fan with filter than to schedule a certified lead inspector to say I don't need to do it.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including skipping my evening snack because dinner itself slipped until almost bed time. I've almost never skipped my evening fruit so that feels like a victory. Exercise was lifting and shuffling stuff. I did get a walk (CREDIT moi) to Whole Foods for some peanut butter - can't face the weekend without peanut butter.

onebyone - Yay for naps - the great cure for whatever ails you. Ouch for uncertainty on your yard sale.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at, "plan my food -- what a concept!" Whatever it takes.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for a session with your DGS laugh therapist. Great news that the new ankle brace is working so far. [The tornadoes were the first I've ever heard of for Massachusetts. The town hit remains in shock over the damage and four deaths.]

silverbirch - Waving back. Fifteen minutes sounds long enough to face cleaning.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for drinking water to the sound of "sucked down milkshakes" - that's concentration.

pamatga - Neat that you'll create the Biggest Loser "ranch experience" right at home - that's sounding serious. [DS owned a nine CD set of the entire Led Zeppelin, so he didn't miss this particular two CD set. Which does include Stairway to Heaven and Immigrant Song.]

Gwen - Kudos for confronting your need to count calories. "TWO gyms" is serious business.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

It isn't fair. Other people eat whatever they want.
Most thin people don't eat whatever they want. Most thin people are careful. They continually restrict their eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 45.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years
Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #19

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Quick check in.... I have been feeling horribly sick this week, and not doing enough to take care of myself. My eating has been way off- with a really low appetite.

Missed you all and wanted to stop in to catch up on what's going on with everyone and say hi.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #20

S/C/G: 271/225/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I got on the scale today.I have not been able/willing to face the scale for about ten days. I am up to 222 - ugh. I need to keep on trying. I will get up and make a plan. I need to stay away from sugar. Feeling sad about the gain... hopefully, it will motivate me. I will not give up.

I pulled a muscle in my back. the other day. It's slowly healing. The medicine can sometimes make me retain water.

I've been wearing my foot/ankle braces - up to over an hour a day. I've been able to walk on the grass for patches of time.

My laptop is broken. It is uncomfortable sitting at my desk top computer because of the angle of sitting. But - I am grateful to have this back-up.
Less computer time, I guess.

Now you are caught up in my world. Hugs to you all for your continued support.

Make it a GREAT day.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 224

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #21
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/maintaining below 170

Day 40: Enrich Your Life
I'm working on this! What I'm learning is that meeting some of my goals will take exactly as much strategy and skill development as losing the weight did. The good news is: I did it to lose the weight, I can use the same techniques in pursuit of other goals.

I wrote a food plan last night! Yay! A bit of normalcy.

BillBlueEyes: interested in how the lead thing turns out. That's come up in discussions with renovators for our bathroom so I foresee something in the future on that issue for us.

ChefJoona: hope you're feeling better soon.

Beverlyjoy: sympathies for back and computer troubles -- a frustrating combination

Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #22

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Beckies,

That sound you hear coming from the mid valley in California is the bells of FREEDOM ringing! I am at Starbucks this morning because my home computer is kaput. It certainly has been a week. Lots of good moments concluding with 150 first graders (my other job) singing their hearts out in a music jamboree. Emotional for me and I don't always do emotional well. So, I am giving myself this morning to be quiet. I will pick up DS this afternoon and we will officially be on summer vacation. Thanks to everyone for warm messages.
I am going to take a little time today to review my eating and see how far I have drifted from my goals. Not too far. I told myself that I was successful if I maintained during these last two weeks and I did. Credit! I want to get back down to goal (4 pounds) and get comfortable with a maintenance eating plan before I fly off to Grad program in Goddard at the end of June.
Onebyone: I am sorry you are stuck. I certainly know that feeling. When that happens I break the tasks into tiny bits. Maybe five dishes and then take a break.
Gwen: It is very important to find what works for you. Re: my scale - I do weigh in everyday because when I am Off Plan it limits my spree knowing I will weigh the next day. But I do get frustrated, as you say, with daily fluctuations.
Lexxiss: Credit for water vrs. Milkshake. I hope to head up to Tahoo soon for a few good bike rides.
Pamatga: I agree with weightloss as a science. Calories in vrs Calories out. It kills me because I want to make it emotional.
BBE: Credit for much strength training including sixteen boxes. I am going to start a more rigorous weight training program but don't look at how much I am lifting.
GardeningDeb: How do you like Power 90? It looks great in the commercials.

Last edited by maryann : 06-03-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #23
move

S/C/G: 291/279.3 lastweek/274.3 now

Default my word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
onebyone, you're lovely! I do washing up in 15 minute stints, FWIW.
Silverbirch...can it be true that you don't have a dishwasher either??
*credit to the both of us for persevering!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #24
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

We travelled yesterday and the scale was up 4 pounds this AM. I think the extreme ups and downs with the altitude wreak havoc with my body. I had already made up my mind it was a good day to "Think Like A Thin Person" before stepping on the scale. Food is planned and OP and I've enjoyed a nice bike ride to the PO and back. I'm switching spare rooms upstairs and decluttering at the same time. My goal is to have it all put back together before dinner. My food choices are better when I persist with organization. I have searched both houses now and must have returned my "green book" with library books. Oh, well. I'll just get another one. It matters.

BillBlueEyes, I hope the inconveniences of your reno are minimized as you and DW sip cool gazpacho on the patio during warm summer nights. (my version of an Irish Blessing)

ChefJoona, get well soon!

Beverlyjoy, *credit* for getting back on the scale. If you eat clean for a few days you'll take a chunk of that water weight right off. Thank you for all your continued support!

Gwen, after a two week break (forgot my scale), I'm back to counting, too.

onebyone, I hope you found a successful technique for getting throught the dishes. (For 15 years in Alaska I hauled water in 5 gal. jugs. I'm still amazed and blessed when water comes out of the faucet!) We have a rule which is mutual participation and mandatory clean up before bed. It makes my mornings more joyful since I get up first.

gardenerjoy, great perception on Day 40! Yes, these WL tools work in other areas of our life, just as Dr. Beck suggests.

maryann, I hear those bells a ringin'! It's great that you have some time to get comfortable with your maintenance eating plan before heading back East. I was thinking of Tahoe this AM….wish it were closer.

Ok, back to the project. I'm going to listen to my bike music on the ipod. It will make my clean up go much faster.

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!

Last edited by Lexxiss : 06-03-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #25
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Hi all -- just stopping by to say I'm still alive. I just haven't had a chance to get on my computer at home for days and days. I still haven't finished the Beck green book either. School and soccer end next week, so after next weekend, I think my life will slow down.

I've been reading here and there because I get the digest on my phone, but no time to respond! Am now off to take younger dd to a birthday party. At least we're going to walk there -- extra exercise. Hope to start chiming in regularly again soon!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
FINISH WHAT YOU START!

S/C/G: 301.8/245.8/135 HW/CW/GW

Height: 5'6.5"

Sorry I am so late in posting but it has been quite a day and I needed to decompress before I got on here. After talking with multiple reps with my phone/internet and tv service provider, being bounced back and forth, listening to "doublespeak" (1984! is firmly established with modern business practices) and holding my ground for close to 2 hours; the end result! Yup, in order to save me $45 a month from my previous providers, it will end up costing me $406!! I (sarcastically but in a nice way) congratulated the final person on their slick salesmanship. I know sales and I was "taken in". Some minor consessions were made so still have my negotiating skills intact but to have someone tell me I should know what they offer before they offer it to me and then not even get the services I wanted that I requested is insulting. Now, I understand why people drink hard liquor.

Extremely amazingly great news on the blood glucose front. I took my before noon meal blood glucose and it was (drum roll please!) 80 mg/dl. . I do not take any medication of any kind so this is all a result of my meager (up to now) attempts at being physically active and, of course, my no sugar/low fat/sometimes low sodium food plan.

Which leads me into: "Did you see/hear about....?" Last night on the national news there was a short bit about (I think) the new government sanctioned food plan to replace the former accepted food pyramid (you see it on the back of most cereal boxes). Drum roll again please! The plate method. For those who may not remember, I took a 4 week class back in March on managing diabetes [since I discovered in 2010 mine was in the diabetic range]. I have brought it down from 174 mg/dl (morning fasting) to see above through weight lose, my food plan and exercise (when I'm not on the injured list). No pills. No shots. Nada.

Anyway, First Lady Michelle Obama introduced the "plate method" to the public media (her cause is childhood obesity). Well, this was introduced to me at these classes back in March. However, this is not a new concept. If I recall correctly, the Sonoma/Mediteranean Diet also uses this as well. (I have the book). The diabetes class instructor told us to buy the cheap plastic plates that have the three partitions (to teach us both portion control and as a visual aid) and this is how we should "fill the plate". Ms. Obama showed this as well although her plates had colors on them (for the kids) In the big section where we all are accustomed to putting the meat/protein instead we should divide that with fruit and vegetables. In one of the two smaller sections should now go the meat/protein and in the other one a starch of our choice. Dairy is a separate "circle" outside of the plate. They're still growing.

). Side note: The adult male news reporter asked one of the kids, "So, where does the sugar go?" I kid you not. The young girl just looked at him like "what?" (who needs teaching?)

Dear friends, this is what I have been practicing in the past two months. Since I just love my beans/legumes, I put that in one of the sections for starch since they are a starchy vegetable and forego the potato since I am not a huge fan.(My Irish-American DH makes up for that) My green/orange/red/yellow vegetables go in the big section along with my fruit. I have recently taken to cutting whatever portion of meat I cook in half to reduce the amount of meat protein I eat. Will I become vegetarian? I never thought I would ever say this but I just might. I just might. Someday.

Good news about sleep. I have managed to come around and I am able to sleep about 5 hours at one time. I am up every 90 minutes to visit the bathroom but that's my age and my bladder. I keep one eye closed so I don't fully reawaken.

Beverlyjoy I am so sorry about all this business with your ankles. I have always had weak ankles. They are skinny little twigs at the bottom of my tree trunk legs. They carry a heavy load. Poor things. Same goes with your back. I pulled my shoulder "muscle"(want to be?) lifting weights.
gardenerjoy What I noticed about Day 40 is that how many times have I avoided facing some of my "in general" life anxieties and just get on with my life, doing what I would do if I were my goal weight? To me, that is how I interpreted Enrich My Life. Like so many things in life, it really gets down to "Just Do It!"
Lexxis/gardeningdeb Although Dr. Beck says to only weigh once a week, she does say on pgs 172 and 261 (pink book) to "Some find that weighing themselves daily help desensitize them to the scale but do NOT weigh yourself more than once a day since that is a sure sign you are obsessing about dieting"(pg 172) and "Weigh yourself between once a day, if you prefer, and once a week" (pg 261).

I weigh myself once a day because it reminds me that calories DO count and it keeps me honest with myself. However, in order to not "freak out" when the scales does go up rather than down read Day 21 on pgs 170-175 (pink book). I think we need to know how to intrepret those numbers as well so we can use this piece of data (think like a scientist) so when we hit a plateau (see Day 38 in pink book) we know whether it is a short or a long term one and the steps we need to take.

I can not emphasize enough to hang in there and read the book(s) all the way through. The information builds on itself and by the end you have a way to help you deal with just about everything (no mention of lead paint though BBE--here the big issue is mold because of humidity we have).

Onebyone, gwen, maryann,wife2abadge---you're all doin great! I can feell it through cyber space.
chefjoona--it's going around, if that's any consolation.

Last edited by pamatga : 06-03-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #27
move

S/C/G: 291/279.3 lastweek/274.3 now

Default on the road again

Well coaches, due to the forecast (60% chance of rain) we've postponed the garage sale again. This is postponement#2. So I am off to Ottawa to visit my mother and my brother and possibly see my sister and a whole bunch of art friends.

I'm driving up alone wondering if the slow twisty way I like to go is smart now that it's a summer weekend. if there's a lot of cottage traffic it could be a bad way to go. Oh well. I'll give it a try anyway.

I'm anxious and excited.

I'll check in with you all tomorrow when I can get some wifi somewhere!

Have a great weekend.

PS. *credit for weighing in -2.0lbs this morning = 285something.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #28

S/C/G: 299/282/170

Hello Everyone:

Well I was on plan one day this week. I am really planning on regrouping this weekend. Have healthy meals planned for tomorrow. Will be doing lots of outside work and planning on getting to bed at a decent hour all weekend.

I have not been checking in here much lately. Combination of things- the worst being that when the dr. xrayed my shoulder about 4 weeks ago when I injured it the person who read the xray thought he saw a mass near my lungs. I had to get CT scan on Monday and I was so happy to get a voicemail from the doctor today saying there is nothing to worry about on the scan. I was really trying not to worry too much but my dad died of cancer at age 56 and I smoked from age 15 to 40 and most of that at a pack a day. So your mind goes there pretty quick. Needless to say today has turned into a wonderful day and I am relieved.

Sort of puts things in perspective.

I have just read all the posts for this month. Waving hello to you all.

pamatga- am sending you a PM re Zeppelin. I love Zeppelin beyond all reason and am always so interested in hearing from someone who was lucky enought to see them live.

Take care everyone.

Regroup: August 29, 2014 at 292
Five pounds gone: Sept 6th
Another five gone: Sept 27th

One for every 5 pounds:

Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #29

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Bought a mini-fridge that can follow us to the third floor as we camp within our house while construction is going on. It was fun to lift a refrigerator by myself. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi.

Gym, CREDIT moi, completed my full week doing my best weight dumbbells on all three visits. Dumbbells felt easy compared to the bulky, although much less heavy, mini-fridge.

onebyone - Waving toward Ottawa - have a nice drive. A cooler stocked with baby carrots serves me well on long drives.

CeeJay - Ouch for the fear from an xray. Yay for the relief that there is no concern.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat thought to use Cognitive Therapy strategies to pursue other life goals. I've thought of that to work on owning less stuff.

Beverlyjoy - Such good news that you are out walking on the grass. Yep, sugar is evil.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for more decluttering - may more and more leave your house. [Thanks for the reminder of "gazpacho on the patio" - I do look forward to that.]

maryann - I can almost get tears thinking about 150 first graders singing their hearts out. How long will you be at Goddard?

ChefJoona - Ouch for feeling sick; emailing my grandmother's chicken soup which cures everything.

pamatga - Ouch for the "doublespeak" of phone/internet service providers. I hate when I'm convinced that information is garbled deliberately to keep me from understanding. Congrats for wrestling that to the ground.

Susan (wife2abadge) - Yay for reading this forum on your iPhone - presumably you skip the long signatures and Avatars. Enjoy walking to the birthday party but beware of being offered some cake to go with it.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

It isn't fair. Other people eat whatever they want.
Barbara recently to told me that she felt jealous of her sister-in-law, Lauren, because Lauren didn't have to diet. I asked Barbara to pay attention to what Lauren ate. Barbara observed her for several weeks. She discovered that Lauren often left food on her plate. She ate dessert only infrequently and, even then, had just a few bites. At restaurants, Lauren ordered only a main course and often ate half the portions she was served. Barbara later asked Lauren why she ate that way. It was a revelation to Barbara to learn that her sister-in-law consciously limited her eating to avoid gaining weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 45.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years

Last edited by BillBlueEyes : 06-04-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #30
in development

Default True, all true

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
Silverbirch...can it be true that you don't have a dishwasher either??
*credit to the both of us for persevering!

No dishwasher here, and washing up is one of the biggest drains on our household's time. In particular, when I come in from work and it's my turn to make the tea, and there is breakfast washing up still to be done ... well that's often when I feel Really Angry and eat a bit (sometimes a lot) more than I have planned for my mid-afternoon snack. Thinking about it, it's the main reason that I don't lose weight and keep it off. And I can't work out how to crack it. (No room to have a dishwasher here.)

I feel your pain and I know you feel mine. Here are a few ideas which I/we try.

I've told you my 15 minute thing. I listen to the radio during this time and I try to time the washing up to coincide with something I want to hear.

Washing up is a household responsibility not an individual one. My SO does most of it, even when he makes the food (which he does every other night). That's because I drive and do most of the shopping and schlepping things about. So it works out about even. Our son dries up and puts away (in fits and starts - he's 11 so I am allowing him to be a bit random with this but it may change ...).

I have considered disposable crockery but our budget doesn't stretch to that. And it would cause other problems.

Just do it. Cut the cackle. Put down the paper, the book. Just do it for a little while.

That's all I can think of for the moment. We are in a club. I think Ilene (over on Exercise) is also in our club.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.