Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Finished replacing the inlet valve on our washing machine so that both hot and cold water come in. CREDIT moi for getting something done that was bugging DW. But had to go to the hardware store to find the right screws since the replacement piece required some improvising. Which required me to walk past a health store that was giving out FREE samples and, feeling in a snit about the repair, I waltzed in and sampled; Ouch for pretending that organic, healthy, gluten free samples are on my plan.

Walking included seeing my first Black and White Warblers of the year, CREDIT moi, and walking to have a plate of sashimi for dinner. I wish we remembered to go out for Japanese food more often.

Erika (eusebius) - I have no idea if shaking up the metabolism has roots in repeatable science, but it sure has roots in repeated testaments on 3FC forums, LOL. Yay for having "No Choice!" in your pocket for eating out. [Yep, I googled "Baroque-style violone" and that's what I saw and heard. I had no idea that it was an oldie.]

FutureFitChick - Congrats on getting through one more semester. LOL at 'said out loud "I want a cheeseburger" ' - that should startle any stranger walking by. Kudos for finding your way to release cravings.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the reminder, "I anticipate doing so for the rest of my life."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for doing well at Denny's - who'da thunk they'd have a veggie burger. LOL at their BBBLT - now that's a lot of bacon.

maryann - Such a powerful Advantage Card, "I'll progress spiritually by facing my fear." Love the thought of four wheeler therapy.

ChefJoona - In your situation it was important to see The William and Kate Wedding spectacular. Will your gown be similar to Kate's? And will your future Grand-Mother-in-Law lend you a tiara?

pamatga - Ouch for the continuing pain and sleep deprivation. Your garden sounds full and varied. I do love those sugar snaps.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box

You will soon start collecting memories of diet-related experiences that are particularly meaningful to you - experiences that have a positive emotional charge. For example, the first time you feel triumphant because you successfully rode out a craving, you'll write down the accomplishment on an index card and insert in into your Memory Box. Keep some blank cards in the box so they will be at hand when positive experiences occur. Or if you prefer, keep a Memory List at the back of your Diet Notebook.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 38.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Hi all,

Not much to say about yesterday. I exercised, and did ok with eating. I'm discouraged by my Sunday Morning weigh-in. I looked back at my weight-loss log and I have been hovering around the same weight for the last 2 and a half months. I thought adding in exercise would help jump start some more weight loss, but it hasn't. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I can really reduce my calories by much more and still function in my day. I'm going to try though. I just split my breakfast in half.

Today is going to be near 70 and very sunny. We are planning to take a drive to Stowe with some friends- hopefully we'll get some walking or hiking in while we're there.

Billbe Nope, my gown doesn't have much of a resembalance to Kate's, and no grandmother to lend me a tiara. I might wear a fascinator though!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, all
Old 05-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

While volunteering in a community garden yesterday, I was complimented by a physical therapist on my form with a pitchfork. This morning, my glutes are a little sore, but my back doesn't hurt, so I know I did it right!

With a lot of gardening and some stretching, I met my exercise goal for April!

Day 16: Prevent Unplanned Eating
This is the NO CHOICE day. This has been my experience: "I have made some eating rules for myself that I rarely break. I don't even think much about it; I just follow them. I don't struggle, I don't feel conflicted, I don't feel deprived, and I don't end up eating food I'll be sorry about moments later."
For me, the most important rules were the ones I made for myself right at the beginning: "No eating in the car" and "No eating anything purchased from a gas station or drugstore." I've also had lots of mileage out of my emphasis on natural foods. It eliminates some foods that some people find helpful on a diet but, for me, it makes it easy to say NO CHOICE to lots of things that I used to find convenient to overeat.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +110* 1500/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ChefJoona: how did you choose your goal weight? I originally had 150 as my goal weight because it was the middle of the normal BMI range. After losing 50 pounds to get to 190, I was feeling so much better that I couldn't believe that it was going to take 40 more pounds to be healthy. That's when I changed my goal to 170. Now that I'm close, I realize that I really would like to get down to 168 so that I am in the normal BMI range. I asked my doctor and he said that I should maintain at a weight that feels good to me and he didn't much care about the BMI number. I'm starting to set my goal Beck-style at losing 2 pounds and then reassessing.
There was some study released a couple of years ago that for women to lose weight, they need to exercise an hour a day. I've found that, for me, it's more like 40 to 50 minutes a day. Jillian is great because she gives me both cardio and strength training at the same time, but I have to do some walking on top of that to make the pounds come off.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #5  

I went on a long hike yesterday (CREDIT), but today I am feeling overwhelmed and afraid to start a diet. I don't know what diet to choose - I'm leaning toward food journaling, but that hasn't worked for me in the past. I've looked into the metabolic miracle, but seems so complicated as does the glycemic index. Many sabotaging thoughts are happening.

Kris

oh, and my ticker is so wrong --- i'm up to 182.5 right now and very discouraged.

Last edited by grayhenry; 05-01-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

grayhenry: do you want more suggestions for diets, or would that just confuse things more?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #7  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Wow! Where is everyone? Well, welcome to yet another spring month everyone!

Needless to say, the chronic pain continues. Bedtime was at 5:30 am. One of the more annoying things that I am encountering now that I am ready to apply all of these Beck principles is that I am eating 1/2 of my daily calories during the first 6-7 hours of the day-between 1-7 am. I am very frustrated by this because it really pinches what else I can eat the remainder of yet another long day. I am holding tough with eating in my fruit and vegetable servings so now tonight I am having lots of cold vegetables and fruit for dinner. It's not a bad choice but my DH wanted a "regular meal"(read: meat, potato and vegetable) and I said go ahead without me.

It isn't about tolerating hunger as my pain meds are not working and I am eating as a distraction not because I am hungry but because temporarily it takes my mind off the fact that I have nerve and joint pain in both legs. When I finally do fall asleep I have been waking up with severe leg cramps that has my DH running and massaging my legs.

I'm logging all of this food (my credit) but the frustrating part is that I feel like my choice has been taken away from me as a result. I want to eat when I am hungry because I enjoy the food a lot more. It tastes better. Not when I feel like a zombie.

So, tonight if this continues, I am going to try something different andread from a book that we were studying in our Friday night Bible study this past winter--- "Praying the Psalms".

Today, DH was mopey. He said he doesn't see much of me. I'm asleep during the day when he is awake and awake when he is sleeping. We watered our garden, got the car washed and went grocery shopping. I was beaming when I left. Just looking at what I bought made me feel healthy. I want to rip into those fresh strawberries when I finish here but I think I will have an apple instead. Ripe fruit can become a "trigger" food if I am too hungry.

Here's to a great month of May, everyone! God bless.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches & Buddies.

Today was spent running around the house, yard, and the kitchen getting things cleaned up and cooking. I'm exhausted and eager to see how many calories I burnt.

We watched Black Swan last night. I think I'm going to have some weird images stuck in my head for a few days!

BillBlueEyes, too bad about those samples! I love Japanese food!

ChefJoona, keep it up! You'll get progress soon. Do you keep a food log?

GardenerJoy, great job with the physical exercise! I did some compost turning today, so we'll see if I can fit into the Proper Pitch-fork Users category tomorrow.

Grayhenry, great job on the exercise!

Lexxis, how exciting to have a new pup! Glad to read you are so close to your goal!!

Pamatga, I'm so sorry you are still struggling wi pain and sleeplessness. I hear you though!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 05-01-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
grayhenry: do you want more suggestions for diets, or would that just confuse things more?
Yes, I'll take some suggestions! I just don't know which to choose, so many seem very complicated and/or structured.

Kris
Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday, Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I had forgotten about an event I planned to attend so I had to conjure a suitable lunch from a bunch of snack foods laid out for a celebration; did OK with crackers and cheese for the lunch part, avoiding platters of cookies and big layer cakes - CREDIT moi. Did poorly with some dark chocolate covered roasted almonds dusted with sea salt - OUCH! What an addictive taste combination. I also had a Brazil Nut from the bowl of mixed nuts which I have infrequently and read that it contains some good stuff different from the other nuts. CREDIT moi for not over consuming the bowl of nuts.

Lots of good walking in the sunshine of May 1st, CREDIT moi - sunshine but still cool. The plants seem to believe it's Spring, but folks are still wearing jackets outdoors.

FutureFitChick - Yay for "running around" for exercise. That reminds me that I've always wished that all the treadmill hours weren't being wasted as heat - and recently read that some green gyms are running the lights and TV's from generators on the treadmills.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Monster Kudos for the last four hours of exercise to make your April goal, "+125*" and "+110* 1500/1500 minutes for April." Good form with a pitchfork is a lifetime gift to your back.

ChefJoona - Yay for hiking about in the Green Mountains of Stowe Vermont - doesn't get better than that! Ouch for your frustration with your food plan. Are there any foods that you can substitute that have better filling/calories ratio? [Had to google "fascinator" - thanks for a new word.]

pamatga - Sounds good to me, "lots of cold vegetables and fruit for dinner." - Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to wrestle with the pain and sleeplessness.

Kris (grayhenry) - Ouch for that overwhelmed feeling that hangs over before starting. My take is that a simple diet has strong chances of lasting over time. My own plan is a hand rolled version of portion control since I don't do well with calorie counting and weighing over the long term, even though I spent zillions of hours studying calories and initially weighting foods to learn how small portions really are. Journaling seem like an indispensable tool - but not a diet itself. One idea is to choose your first week food plan so you can just start and then work toward some version of shifting of plans until you find your own. Good luck getting past the first step.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box
As you progress through Stage I and beyond, be on the lookout for these positive experiences:

• When you get a compliment that is important to you

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 38.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #11  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Good news to report this a.m. I made some sleep arrangements so that I could sleep alone so when I lay there, I can find a comfortable position even if it means spread eagle flat on my back. I slept better than the previous four nights since I wasn't up and down during the night so no night noshing. Posting in the morning is always a good sign. Thank you everyone for your kind well wishes. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I awoke with a lower leg cramp so I will be returning to bed shortly but hearing the birds chirp on awakening is a nice sound.

Blood sugar 98 mg/dl. For me, that is as close to winning the lottery (still buy my ticket each week though) as I can get. Now, to keep it up.

Does anyone else have their cards memorized yet? I seem to. I was laying in bed ruminating what I had written over and over. Thinking about what Dr. Beck has said in these pages has illuminated my mind with so many thoughts about why this was the elusive and seemingly unattainable personal goal of mine (one of my reasons on my ARC card). Our minds are powerful and they can be ours best friend or worst enemy.

BBE good job on dodging food land mines. I had no idea that even 3 years after you have lost your weight you would still need to do all of this. It is a sobering thought for me and makes me realize why so many many people do not ever reach their weight lose goals or stay there. It is a daunting task not much different than training for an Ironman or climbing Mt. Everest. It reminds me to really get these principles down pat and engrained in my pysche since that will be the only way I return to the former thin self I was before 1982 (not surprisingly the year I married my former husband in what ended up being a horrible 15 year marriage).

Onebyone-so does this mean you will still be able to hold onto your tickets to see the space launch. It was scraped, wasn't it? I suppose all of this tornadic activity made the upper atmospheres unstable.
Gardernerjoy-I had no idea you had such a wonderful and ambitious goal this past month. I missed that piece of news somehow. How absolutely wonderful!
Chefjoona-another wonderful idea. Nothing more inspiring than your own backyard for reasons to get outside and move around.
Grayhenry -you're getting it. It may not feel like it, but you are. Keep the faith, sister.

To everyone else, have a great day.
WTG
Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning,

Trip to Stowe was canceled, so DFiance and I went out to a local park and took a walk along a bike path. We then played a somewhat active outdoor game. Eating was on plan.

gardnerjoy Yes, I picked my goal weight to be within my healthy BMI range. I've never talked to a doctor about my BMI, so I'm not sure what they would say. I have always had a pretty healthy diet, but actively exercising is something I have always struggled with. I don't know much about healthy exercise and what is considered a good amount for weight loss vs just health. Exercising for a full hour a day makes me incredibly anxious and resistant. Doing Jillian's workout is more exercise than I have done in a long time, but is it enough? You've got me thinking! In general I feel pretty good at this weight, but I'm struggling more with vanity. I want to look "better" than I think I do right now, and to fit into smaller sizes just to say I can.

I'm thinking about increasing my lean protein and cutting down further on carbs. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Didn't sleep that well last night, so I'm grumpy this morning.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #13  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

The crazy week is over and I am tired and cranky. (Guess I'd rather be cranky than fat, though I feel like I'm still both right now, lol.) The gray rainy weather seems to be going on and on, which doesn't help much. I did lose 1.6 this week and made my 5% WW goal, but for some reason it isn't making me ecstatic ... of course I'm glad it went down ... maybe it's time to do some online yarn shopping

I need to accept these feelings as normal because I'm really resisting them at the moment. I can really see how the patterns of the past worked - I would resist negative emotions, try to stuff them down with food, wish against all reality that they would go away. Instead I have to go in there and experience them, which is unpleasant but beats the heck out of the alternative. Sigh. Hand me a shovel!

Today is Day 29 - Resist Food Pushers. That section is so well written. It really does matter so much more to us than it does to the pusher whether we eat or not. Hard to fathom when we're in the thick of the situation. Yay for response cards - I made a "NO THANKS" card (nicely matching the "NO CHOICE" card ... lol!)

BillBE - Ouch for the samples and almonds (ohh they sound good) but kudos for staying on your eating and exercise plans otherwise! I bet Black and White Warblers are gorgeous. I don't think they hang out up in the frozen north much. I love how your eating plan is "hand rolled" like good sushi, LOL.
ChefJoona - ((((Hugs))) - I feel your frustration. What is your calorie level right now? Maybe some calorie cycling might break the plateau (???) Frustrating times. Hang in there! I'm right there with you on the grumpiness!
gardenerjoy - WTG on meeting your exercise goal! Sounds like you have the NO CHOICE thing down.
Kris (grayhenry) - kudos for the long hike! Choosing a diet can indeed be complex. I tend to plump for the simplest thing I can find, like calorie counting or WW. But I know that one size does not fit all! Best wishes to you in finding a plan that works for you.
pamatga - sorry to hear that you're going through a rough patch with the pain meds and early-morning bedtimes. Hugs and prayers to you! Glad to hear that last night was better for you.
FutureFitChick - I bet you burned quite a few calories running around! I haven't seen Black Swan yet ... it's on my list.

Time to get the equally grumpy kid to school. Wishing everyone a less grumpy day!

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: Spontaneous
Yoga: no
Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

I've decreased my exercise goal for May, not because I actually intend to exercise less. It's just that I'll be traveling twice, nine days total, during the month and I don't want to have to keep track of my exercise time on those trips -- but there will be plenty of walking involved.

Day 17
: End Overeating
I've accomplished this, but not in the way prescribed. I still suck at noticing when I feel full -- but I am pretty good at estimating appropriate portion sizes and sticking to them. I have had good results in the last couple of weeks just by working more with my food journaling. I can learn from when I'm overfull to do better the next time, even if I don't seem to be able to react to the condition at the time it happens.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +0* 0/1200 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

grayhenry: I gave you some suggestions of what has worked for me in the other thread you started.

ChefJoona: I think Jillian is a great approach to make you look better without necessarily seeing more results on the scale. You probably will see results with a measuring tape. I have some recommendations for other DVDs if you want to start adding some variety. Hugs for sleep-deprivation grumpiness.

FutureFitChick: love seeing you here!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Monday, Lunchtime and back at school. I feel good that I re-discover (every week it seems) that I can do this job. The tough part is the slight blues that have been going on this year that it is the same old job and I don't make a difference. I respond with "Oh Well." I do what I can and don't walk to the counselor's offer to get some chocolate. Not OP Sunday and it didn't feel great. Today OP and determined to maek and entire day. top Priority.

Gardenerjoy and Chef Joona's topic of maintenance wieght is interesting. My BMI weight is normal. It seems easy to maintain under 155 but incredibly difficult to break into the 140s. Hmmmm. Do I really need to exercise an hour a day? If I do, It will have to be in summer when I have more time. I know I have said this before but I am thrilled with my new clothing size and my husband tells me I shouldn't lose anymore, that is is self defeating because I look great and I shouldn't get down on myself. But.... I will mediate on peaceful solutions this week.
Closed Thread