Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Blah! Not the best eating day yesterday... pamatgaI always have a plan for what I'll eat for the day (though I don't write it down anywhere)- its always pretty standard. Yesterday I went off the plan for lunch. Rather than my low cal wrap with PB and a spinach salad for lunch I went to the health food store next door and got a big whole wheat bagel- and didn't stop at 1/2... I ate the whole thing. Didn't need an afternoon snack. It was too many carbs and calories for lunch- even though it was whole wheat.

Went out to dinner with friends after our walk (credit exercise). We went to a crepe place and I ordered a savory crepe that was filled with more cheese than I expected. I tried to avoid eating 1/2 of the cheese filling. I also threw out most of the ice cream cone I got after. Trying to turn the day around...

I think today will be better!

I will try and get to more personals in the next couple days! I'm very happy this is my last work day of the week before a four day weekend!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #242  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday I had a plan and I followed it, Beck style. Exercise was a low impact aerobics class that I always forget about since it starts at 7am....and some rowing...and some gardening. *credit* for all, including saying NO CHOICE to even one of DH's McD's ffries. I reminded myself that I hadn't had my lunch salad yet and would enjoy it more if I skipped the greasy salty fried white potato thingies.

BillBlueEyes, yay for potato salad going to the worms even before it turned green! Yay, too, for tomato plants in the ground. We're going out to plant ours before we head out for the day.

ChefJoona, yes, today can be a better day!

pamatga, planning my day's food ahead is really a challenge for me. When I first started BDS it stood out as a tool I really needed to work on and I still do. What I find is that when I am willing to plan my food ahead my opportunity to resist unplanned food is much easier. My tracking is online so I don't cross off and add in on paper. I lose more weight when I plan ahead. Your comprehensive plan is very well thought out! Sorry about your pain...it does sound like you had an enjoyable day when you just got up and went out.

FutureFitChick, I'm wondering what your incredible treat was? For me, what it is, will determine if eating it in moderation is good or bad. Sugar and saturated fats...once in a blue moon, not every day, even in moderation. But that's on my plan. What does your intuition tell you?

Susan(wife2abadge), yay for planning your meals out a week ahead. I'm really working on that.

maryann, interesting thoughts on exercise. I, too, pat myself on the back but then at my club I see folks who come in early 5 days a week and HAVE BEEN for the past 20 years. We all start somewhere. Your DS is cute...a 9 times food.lol

Lauren(Bigknitter), great credits and insights on areas which warrant closer attention. "Feeling great" is a super motivator for me, even when the scale isn't moving much.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Coaches,
Credit Yesterday OP with some substitutions and today strictly OP. Interesting today because I had to fast to draw some blood. I had to SPIT out two or three things that "popped" into my mouth while I was making DS breakfast. I had a huge realization of how far I have slipped back into my old ways of standing and eating. Credit today for sitting everytime (except for drinking juice.)
Lexxiss: It is funny about those greasy little fries. I don't even like them but I always feel the need to taste.
Chef Joona: Credit for getting yourself back on track each time. No effort is ever wasted.
Pamatga: Your story of the M&Ms reminds me of the different choices I make now that ALL calories are posted on the menu at Starbucks and Mcdonalds thanks to a new California Law. Eye opening to say the least.
Bignitter. I am goingto read my cards today, too.
BBE: Boy, you're going to love your place when it is thru.

Last edited by maryann; 05-26-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #244  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

This week was all about 'getting back on track' for me. As a result, my muscles are tired and my tummy is grumbling, but in a good way. My favorite phrases that helped were: "can't have it both ways" and "one day at a time".

It helps me a lot hearing how everyone is working Beck skills into their busy lives. Hearing others talk about something so personal has been a terrific help. When I first started emotionally eating a lot (in college), I remember such a struggle trying to figure out why I was doing it. And I had no-one to talk to about it. So thanks for continuing to share !

LoL Bill, hearing about your tomatoes. Mine were doing the same, and one day when we left the dogs home alone too long, the poor tomatoes even got a few bites taken out ! I got them in the garden a few days ago, and today when I checked on them I had potato beetles on them! Everyone seems out of sorts this spring. Glad yours are seeing some sunshine.

Happy long weekend everyone - enjoy !

Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #245  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Hi coaches,

Had a good day today! I get credit for:

Reading my cards, even though I didn't do it until just now.
Eating slowly at dinner.
Planned exercise.
Spontaneous exercise - stayed after at karate to practice my forms.
Checking in here.

We got in a bunch of new chips at my boyfriend's store (he owns a 7-11, I should get credit just for avoiding all of the junk there!) and he opened a few, so I had a couple of samples. Not a great idea but I had maybe five, took one more and said 'last one', and it really was the last one. No fighting with myself about it! I couldn't resist, when I saw the Hot Dog flavored chip I was so curious lol It really tastes like a hot dog. Very strange, and I'm surprised we didn't get a cheeseburger bite chip too.

Woodland - Yay for getting back on track!

maryann - sitting down to eat can be so hard, good for you for realizing the need to get it done.

Lexxiss - did you say you did an aerobics class at 7:00 am? That is awesome! The only time I get a workout in that early is purely by accident!

ChefJoona - hope you were able to turn your day around

BillBlueEyes - good job tossing the potato salad.

Pamatga - good idea to pay more attention to the response cards in preparation for the honeymoon phase ending, I hope I can do the same when it happens for me.

Hope everyone had a good day and is planning on having a nice holiday weekend
Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #246  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Saw DW eating her afternoon dish of trail mix and immediately thought that I'd have some, too. Then thought again, and didn't; CREDIT moi. Had my first peach of the season for my evening snack. Thank you California peach farmers for getting yours here before the Georgia peaches arrive.

My long walk, CREDIT moi, had the option of stopping by Whole Foods where the samples are plentiful. But I didn't stop and instead was swooped by a Red Tailed Hawk flying low for some reason. Nice view that I'd have missed had I stopped. Sometimes good things happen for random reasons giving my brain the option to ascribe it to some minor desirable behavior on my part. So, I've associated not stopping at Whole Foods for FREE samples with a close view of a low flying hawk.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for avoiding grease fries from McD.

Woodland - Yay for "tired and grumbling" - good signs. Ouch for tomato nibbling dogs, LOL.

maryann - Yep, those tastes just seem to pop in our mouths; Kudos for being aware and catching yourself.

ChefJoona - It's nice that the weather has warmed enough for an evening ice cream cone - Kudos for eating only part of it, which is especially sweet given that you live in Ben and Jerry's country.

Lauren (Bigknitter) - Kudos for using the strategy of announcing 'last one' and then stopping with the chips. Hard to guess which chemicals are gathered together to taste like hot dogs.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

This is too much work; I don't feel like learning all of these
skills. I don't feel like following my eating plan.
When dieters express this sabotaging thought, I ask them what their goal is. Is it to do what they feel like doing? Or is it to lose weigh for good? These two goals are not compatible. Dieters can't have it both ways. Since they always say their goal is to lose weight, I ask them to reflect on their past dieting experiences. Has not learning these skills led to lasting weight loss? Unless they change their approach, is there some reason that makes dieters think this time will be different?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 43-44.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #247  

Back on track eating wise yesterday!

Today is the picnic celebration for my mother's retirement as a pre-school director. It is a bring your own picnic, so I suggested grilled chicken to bring to share with my family (Mom, Dad, Sis, maybe BIL, DFiance and Me). I suggested my Dad bring fruit or veggie salads as sides.

No credit for exercise yesterday, but hopefully this weekend.

Billbe The close encounter with the Hawk sounds amazing!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #248  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM and GD fellow Beckies!

Last night we got a "temporary" cool down when a series of severe thunderstorms came through here. We opened the patio doors WIDE and just allowed the significantly cooler air refresh us (although we have central air, I just get so tired of it). I seized the moment and dragged DH out on our porch which faces that woods with all the wildlife (including birds, hawks and once an eagle, BBE). I wanted to clean off the white porch railings, hang up our summer patio lights(put them on a timer)and sweep the floor. It was a great way to get in "spontaneous movement"! After we were finished, we both sat in our respective rockers and just took in all the fresh "after the storm" air.

Afterwards, I watched some pre-recorded programs (that DH doesn't like) when he retired for the night. While one eye on the t.v. and another in my cookbooks, I went through some of the diabetic ones. I love to read cookbooks the way some people read romance novels. I'm romancing the stove! I have found several recipes I am going to try today including fruit yogurt bars, peach rice pudding and several different types of muffins. I'll freeze them so I can have them for a quick breakfast or snack. I'm in the mood to cook and bake so I'm going with it. The base flour used is whole wheat with yummy things like apples, raisins, peaches, shredded carrots for the add-ins. I also found a delicious cold salad I am going to make for lunch today. It consists of fresh broccoli, grapes, raisins, green onions, tarragon vinegar, light mayo, toasted slivered almonds and crumbled bits of turkey bacon! That's my lunch today!
Yum. Yum.

Thanks all for your input on your OPs. Hope you all have a nice day and weekend.

Last edited by pamatga; 05-27-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #249  

Good Morning Everyone,

Sorry I have been missing for two days now. I planned on posting last night but son had an accident and spilled tea on the keyboard. We tried to save it but oh, well, it was history. Took a ride to Wal Mart and we just got home and set up the new keyboard when a severe thunderstorm rolled through. We lost power for 4 hours and that was it for the night.

For Wednesday I was good all day. Made it through the day without eating off plan, was about 125 calories over on my foods but I did enter them. No scale that day. Felt peaceful and in control all day. sf gum really is a big help and I have come to realize that sometimes I am actually needing a glass of water. No cardio today. My right knee was swollen, having some pain in the back of my leg so I decided to settle it down before I do workouts again.

Thursday I was doing well, no scale for the day, was on track. Went to my daughter's quickly to check on her pup and decided to stay awhile. Her dog was pretty upset about her being gone so we sat on the couch together and cuddled a bit. By the time I got home, I was in starving mode. Ended up eating some chips and ff ice cream and 4 almonds. I could have done worse but wish I had picked my book up and looked for a page, read one of my encouraging notes. Maybe next time that will click in instead of eating off. I also need to work on being more prepared before I go out the door just in case. I did have a stare down with the scale afterwards but I walked away from it. No cardio either today.

Pamatga,
Your patio area sounds beautiful. Glad you were able to go out and enjoy cooler weather. I was looking at one of your recipes too, peach rice pudding. Sounds good. I have tons of cookbooks too. Some are pretty high calorie stuff
from before I started my new lifestyle.

ChefJoona,
Today will be a better day. I ordered a hamburger once, skipped the fries and had coleslaw and found out it had more calories than a complete meal. Was shocking when I read the calorie breakdown. Great job just eating half.

BillBlueEyes,
Amazing that the Red Tailed Hawk swooped at you. Nice choice to take the walk and miss the supermarket snacks.

Bigknitter,
Great job avoiding those chips. I haven't seen them in my area yet. Have a nice weekend.

Well, have my 19 month old gd coming in a couple hours so need to tidy up the house. Hope everyone has a nice holiday weekend.

GardeningDeb
Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Afternoon Coaches,
OP so far today. This will be three days straight. The most dangerous part will be checking in at the 8th grade dance where I am sure sugar will abound. I will buy a Diet Pepsi and carry it in my hand while I am there. Definitely feeling the three day absence of sugar. I am reminding myself that sugar holds nothing but disappointment for me. I am going back to my early reminders when I compared abstinence with giving up smoking. Nothing "feels" worthwhile if I can't do it with a cigarette but it is just a feeling. The truth is that what becomes available once I resist is beautiful, wonderful moments than an obsessive brain can't comprehend.
Off to clean the house before dance duty.

Last edited by maryann; 05-27-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #251  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Checking in.

I had a good day, mostly. I didn't exercise but I did clean two rooms in the house that were disastrous, and climbed the stairs numerous times in the process. Then I vacuumed out mine and the boyfriend's cars and went shopping. Somewhere in there I started to feel awful! Just really worn out and run down. So I decided to try and take it easy. It didn't really happen that way! I ended up having two beers and I feel much better At least we still cooked a nice dinner instead of a worse option.

I did control myself with cookies and popcorn, only having one cookie and one small bowl of popcorn. I'm trying not to feel too guilty because really I didn't do badly at all. Still stayed within my calories so no worries there. I will get back on track tomorrow, meaning no alcohol for a while longer - did 10 days though which is great for me!

I did read my cards today and ate slowly most of the time
Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #252  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Starting a 3 day weekend in the U.S.

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a good day. DW and I had a Groupon with a short expiration date so were out for dinner again at a joint that isn't healthy-food-centric. I was drawn to some Texas Beef BBQ Ribs, ate one (i.e., 1.0 exactly) and doggie bagged the remaining three. CREDIT moi for the most reserved I think I've ever been at a restaurant. One was enough food - particularly since ribs have more fat than most beef I tend to eat these day. And, there's left over heaven in the fridge.

Gym was back on track, CREDIT moi. Still puzzled that I can lift my highest weight on Monday and Friday, but not on Wednesday.

maryann - Love the vision, "what becomes available once I resist is beautiful."

ChefJoona - Hope your mother's celebration went well. And that you avoided the wild thunderstorms reputed to be in Vermont yesterday.

pamatga - There is nothing to compare to the Southern Thunderstorm! I can smell the ozone just thinking about it. Your lunch salad sounds yummy. [Jealous of your backyard Bald Eagle.]

GardeningDeb - Ouch for the swollen knee - hope that settles down. Kudos for remaining on plan despite juggling the minor disasters.

Lauren (Bigknitter) - Kudos for facing those two rooms that were "disastrous." I know about digging into dark corners hid old secrets ignored for years.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

This is too much work; I don't feel like learning all of these
skills. I don't feel like following my eating plan.
I frequently give dieters the following analogy: If you had strep throat, would you take only half of each pill the doctor prescribed? Of course not. You'd know that half a pill wouldn't work well enough. It's the same with dieting skills. Picking and choosing what you feel like doing just won't work. You need the full dose You have to practice all of your skills over and over until they become automatic. At that point, dieting will become so much easier. It will require so much less time and effort.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 44.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #253  

Good morning,

Eating went well yesterday... even at the celebration. I was happy to have brought healthy choices. I had a very small piece of cake. The rest of the day went well.

pamatga Your description of the cool air after the storm sounds lovely! I am longing for those hot days and opportunities to appreciate the relief of cool air. We are still struggling to get into the 70s most days. The sun has been elusive as well.

gardeningdeb Credit for your accountability and honesty when posting!
maryannI have never been a smoker, but I can certainly see how the challenge of changing smoking habits and eating habits have similarities!
Bigknitter Credit for having treats in small portions!
BillBe Wow... amazing resistance with the ribs! My Dad is making his slow smoked ribs tomorrow night... I will use your will power as inspiration to enjoy them in moderation!

Planning to get out and active with Dfiance today!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #254  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Saturday and enjoying Spongebob

Hi Coaches

Just a regular weekend here in Canada. I'm trying to plan what I'll do and what keeps coming to me is "work on your residency submission". And yeah, that's right up there as it's due June 2nd in Key West. I can't send it until the 31st of May but that's no reason to leave it to the very very last day.

I need to get the kitchen in order, still, and the dining room needs to be cleared out of boxes and set up for the first time. I don't know why this is so hard for me.

Foodwise I've been Off Plan with capital letters. No planning and no desire to plan or stick to a plan. I still cope with stress by eating. Maybe today I'll find my beck books.

I think for today I'll do the 3 meals a day and life inbetween plan. Thanks pamatga for the reminder. I do have a plan in mind but need to write it out. Once I can buy groceries again I'll be following it.

Have a good Saturday and Happy Memorial Day Weekend to my U.S. coaches!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #255  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was sketchy but I made the best choices I was capable of. DH had a dentist appt at 6pm for an extraction. He wanted ice cream and a milkshake. Instead of his requested DQ, I picked up NSA choc. Ice Cream and coconut milk and made us both one at home. It was a nice treat and he ate the rest of the 1/2 gallon all by himself.
Today has been very busy but OP. Exercise was cleaning out the car(once a year whether it needs it or not) walking the pups and carrying the old guy in and out.(3x already)

Have a nice weekend!

BillBlueEyes, when I think of Boston I think of clam chowder and baked beans-not Texas BBQ. Yay for bringing 3/4 home . Interesting about the weights...possibly on Wednesday your muscles are still recovering.

maryann, I hope your dance duty went well (OP). I notice you drank your juice while standing...me, too.

Woodland, I love the phrase, "can't have it both ways!" Hmm...potato beetles on tomatoes….mine are planted, too, but no bugs.

Lauren(Bigknitter), great that you still cooked a nice dinner last night. It's always better than the old options.

ChefJoona, yay for a healthy and happy celebration. Sending you BBE's rib willpower for tomorrow's dinner. (I ate all of mine)

Pam(pamatga), yay for spontaneous movement out on your wildlife viewing porch. I love cookbooks, too! I love searching out new and healthy recipes.

GardeningDeb, kudos for taking steps which facilitated feeling "peaceful and in control all day."

onebyone, I hope you find your Beck books and a pen and paper for your plan.
Closed Thread