Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folk - Yesterday was a healthy day! Yay... I am grateful. I completed many of my goals as far as my food plan goes. Now that I've had so many healthy food days. ... I need to now add the low salt component to the equation Ugh. - can only do so much to get started again.

I had many credits - so grateful…
Planned/mea/logged food
Stretches and strengthening
Lots of water
Ate seating almost every time - one nibble standing
Journal
New Beck book - starting to read
Did better eating slower and tried to enjoy the food and taste

This Saturday is the plant swap/potluck. It’s our tenth year. I am looking for some sparklers to wave around for a minute in celebration. But, it’s a bit too soon to find them. I lady with whom I have done the swap all these years (my friend, neighbor) - well her wonderful mom passed away this morning. So sad. - kind of unexpected. I don’t know if my friend will be there to help me - but, I know I can enlist lots of folks to help. (DH, friends, neighbor, swap buddies) I don’t want to wreck my foot,/ankle before I get the new brace.;. It’s been tender lately. I must be diligent about being kind to it.

Thanks again to everyone for your continued support and ideas and kindness.

Rubyjan… so good to see you here!!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-16-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #152  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

We travelled West today to our other house to take a break from everything. The drive over was nice and the pool felt like summer. At 2pm my mom (90 yrs old) called to say she was on the way over. (We live a block apart on the Eastern slope.) I responded by eating (nuts) but stopped and took a nap, instead. I'm back on track and we have a healthy dinner planned; grilled King Salmon, corn and salad. I did make mom a rhubarb cake (her favorite) and I will have one piece. She is taking a nap and I need to get dinner fired up.

Ruby Jan Welcome back!

everyone else. See you all tomorrow.

I've been thinking about a new decluttering thread...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Beck Friends:

I am not going to be able to do personals again tonight but I promised myself this was not going to be an excuse for not checking in.

So waving hello to you all!!

For me, so far today my eating is on plan. So glad I didn't let the major mess up on Friday derail me. Something I am trying to learn. I am at a hotel tomorrow night so I need to be very careful not to let any old patterns slip in (you know the "I'm all alone in the hotel room so therefore I deserve to eat pizza or Chinese" sort of thinking).

Went to physio today and my shoulder is much better. She says she can help with my chronic pain in shoulders and neck and that I need to scrap what I have been doing with free weights. She wants me to use an elastic stretchy band (can't remember what she called it) and begin to slowly build up with different exercises. Told her I would be a good compliant patient. LOL.

Credit today for:

Eating on plan and healthy
Resisting muffins at morning meeting. Just ignored them and then turned down an offer to split one. Me firmly- "No thank you". Yay
Resisting an offer to go to lunch and ate my healthy stuff
Told myself that hunger is not an emergency when at 5:00 I was "starving" and still had an hour drive home.
Checked in with my coaches
Planned tomorrow and packed lunch

Have a good day everyone. Check back in on Wednesday.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #154  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

HI all -- just stopping by (should already be asleep!) to say I am reading every day, but won't have time to post much yet. Track ends this coming Saturday, but soccer still goes on for a few weeks.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good evening,

DS First Holy Communion was a success. I cried like a baby because all I could think about was him as a baby at baptism and now he is 8yo. Sunday was spent just the 3 of us. Everybody got to "pick" DS picked a chess tourney (I'm the world's worst but my mistakes are so bad it is funny.) I picked a quick trip to a couple of river parks we had never seen. DH picked Baskin and Robbins. So the food day wasn't perfect but the day "day" was. I have decided to get off my back about the scale - keep to my commitment of a juice a day and exercise and just see what happens. School is out in 2 weeks so I will have lots of time to focus on losing the last 5 then. I feel good even though I have a touch of the flu. I am just going to ignore it for awhile and see if it gets insulted and goes away.

Last edited by maryann; 05-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Time to Lose

Hi All,

I've decided I need to be more active with posting because I am working on getting rid of a few pounds I gained recently. This forum is a key part of my daily Beck activities, but I tend to be a lurker, not a writer.

So what happened? Honestly, I let sabotaging thoughts get too strong and this wore down my ability to keep from emotionally eating when I was anxious. I fell back into old bad habits. But I recognize it and now it is time to shine a bright light on those thoughts so I can get these pounds off again.

Today's Credits:
- Made a plan (reduce daily calories, talk with Coaches)
- Ate within my allocations for day and week
- Exercised (recumbent bike)
- Thought about my answers to thoughts that make me anxious

I enjoy reading your posts every day. Your words give me strength and ideas about new ways to use Beck skills in my life.

Thanks for being here !
Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Thanks for giving me the welcome back... I have begun again at the beginning, which is making my list and reading it -- so so many reasons to lost the weight --this time I added an important one that I hadn't thought of before -- that I will SAVE money if I am a healthy weight: now, by not buying extra 'treats' and the like. Plus when I am at a good weight I don't fuss so much about what to wear that will cover the bulk --- me thin and in blue jeans is a much cheaper and preferable option than spending money on things that never really do the trick, anyway.
I downloaded a calorie counting programme as well, which I find quite inspiring....
I am going to try and write down my success for each day here for a few weeks to build a strong base for feeling at ease again among you all -- but it is great to see how well everyone is doing. Ruby.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. It's just so much easier when all the food that I see during the day comes from my own kitchen.

Had a good gym session, CREDIT moi, including talking with a younger buff guy who was lifting heavy dumbbells. He encouraged me to keep trying the heavier ones until I can do them - then spotted for me while I tried. I didn't make it, but came closer than in the past. It's just a new mental thing for me to believe that I can someday lift heavier stuff.

CeeJay - Yep, it's just boggling how many Sabotaging Thoughts contain "I deserve." Good luck with your frequent challenge of spending an evening in a hotel room instead of home.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for the plant swap/potluck - sounds like a kick and a fun way to get too many new plants.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - I love your idea of a de-cluttering thread. I think I'll need some help in the clutter-maintenance category after I'm done with this round of clearing out.

Woodland - I like the visual image of "shine a bright light on those thoughts" - I think of pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz.

maryann - Yay for an 8 year old who can have a good day hanging out with his parents. LOL at your great strategy to insult your flu so that it leaves in a huff.

ChefJoona - Kudos for having the waitress remove your plate when you'd had enough - that's taking your eating plan seriously. Yeah, this rain looks like it's gonna hang around for a week.

Ruby (RubyJan) - The cost of junk food is pretty steep. I calculated that I saved about $10 a day when I gave up the vending machines and snacks from the cafeteria.

pamatga - LOL at having to decode the hidden channel TV stations. BTDT. Ours - from the one provider - are juggled periodically just to keep us on our toes. Kudos for using "Square Foot Gardening" for a distraction. Hope you have a bountiful crop. [We're hiring contractors for all of the work this time; I did a bunch last time, but contractors are definitely work faster- especially plumbers.]

GardeningDeb - Good strategy recognizing that your mother is happy knowing that you're saving her food gift for later. I, too, shudder at the impact of Alzheimers.

Susan (wife2abadge) - Yep, I know about life that's controlled by kids' sports schedules. Keep the faith.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 9
Build a Sense of Entitlement

For example, Tina (the names of all dieters in this book have been changed) already had a hectic life. She didn't know how she was going to add diet and exercise activities to her already overly busy schedule. When we examined a typical day, it became apparent that Tina continually put herself last. "I have to drive the kids to school. They don't like taking the bus, " she told me. "My husband doesn't like to eat the same foods as my kids, so I have to cook two dinners. I have to drive my daughter to her friends' houses. I have to go to all my son's soccer games." Tina resisted the suggestion to have her family make any changes. "Why should they have to sacrifice just because I want to lose weight?"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 41.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #159  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Rubyjan Here's to new beginnings with a plan. I once read that "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance". I think that could be said of freedom from emotional eating, not standing up to sabotaging thoughts and just letting life crash into us like an unforeseen tsunami. It's great to see you are back.
Woodland for sharing with us where you are at. on realiziing you needed a fine tuning and not waiting until you were way out on a limb and feeling hopeless. We like lurks!
maryann although rites of passages are part of life, it also reminds us how fleeting time is and can be. Don't stress the last 5 lbs. Wish I were there with you.
wife2abadge Hello back! Hope all is well and look forward to hearing more from you in the near future.
Ceejay and Lexxiss give yourselves credit for doing the best you can in travel situations. It is very daunting to be disoriented in several ways; sleep, familiarity and then, of course, food. Be kind and gentle with yourselves.
Beverlyjoy great credits listed-I feel your determination and sense of purpose in your words.
Gardeningdeb Wow! You are the exercising dynamo! It is hard when people you love are fading slowly before your eyes. I see the struggles of my Dad and it is heartbreaking at times. I can see why you are struggling to lose weight with all the sugary desserts being in your face all the time. Day 29 in the pink book gives some suggestions on Food Pushers. Sorry you have to deal with from someone who isn't aware of what they are doing.
BBE You beat me in getting your post in. Sounds like your household will be tore up for awhile. What are the plans for when you won't be able to access the kitchen area or find a peaceful place to eat? I recall how I had a full Thanksgiving dinner along with guests in my daughter's bedroom then did the dishes in the claw foot tub.

Credit: We stopped by one of our favorite places we go when we have the urge to eat sweets. The selection is good and the prices are even better. TG for all the work I have been doing lately with Beck skills. I walked through the chocolate and candy aisle and it didn't even bother me. I turned a corner and I saw a line of sugar free cookies so I bought two packages: chocolate chip and pecan shortbread.
Credit: for looking for opportunities to walk even though my legs feel like stretched out rubber bands and my left knee smarts.
Credit: trying a new restaurant, sizing up what it had to offer and managing to find OP food. When I got home, I found its website, created a shortcut for my desktop and then looked up what I had eaten. This leads into the work on Day 30 Eating Out.

I've been working for the past couple of years on mastering eating out. What really helps here is reminding myself I have "house rules" and those are my boundaries. Beck skills helped here again but I did "slip" and have a small dish of ice cream. What's with me and ice cream lately? It is not my dessert of choice even. I've had three "slips" from my no sugar rule since April 29th when I began "Beck Plus" diet, all involving a dessert I do not even crave. I later found out this restaurant had a line of no sugar or reduced sugar "desserts". OY! Since I steered clear of the Bakery area I didn't know.
Anyway, I am finding that by refraining from sugar (the majority of time) I am better able to avoid overeating as well. Sugar fuels the fire.

Day 31 Decide about Drinking I have always been a lightweight when it comes to drinking. However, I do like wine with special meals and as summer approaches I like a cold beer. I discovered Bud's Select 55 last summer and I find it is really good. It has 55 calories and doesn't taste diluted at all. However, I have one once-twice a week.

Have a good day, all!

Last edited by pamatga; 05-17-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #160  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning,

I had a restless sleep last night. I think I went to bed too early in anticipation of getting up for work this morning. Sometimes the trasition from the three day weekend to my work week on Tuesday am is difficult.

I was happy to have a day where I prepared everything I ate, after three days in a row of having at least one meal out. Eating was on plan. DFiance offered me the last Cadbury Egg left over from Easter. I have insisted that he save it for me because it was to be the only one I had this season. I almost opened it, but then gave it back to him. I realized I didn't feel the emotional connection to such a treat as I used to. I chose to have a lower calorie sweet treat for dessert instead. Go me!!!

Credit for walking the loop around the neighborhood yesterday- in the rain! It wasn't so bad.

I hauled up my Spring/summer clothes from the basement. I tried on a couple things that were too tight to wear at the end of the summer last year... They fit! I might even hazard to say they felt loose. What a good feeling (and way to save money, as I won't need to buy many new things this year).

I recognize I haven't been the best about personals lately. I am reading and gaining from everyone's words!

Off to a busy work day!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #161  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Well folks, I made the decision to completely go off course, all weekend. I really don't know why I do this. I get one good week or so in and then I blow it off and make very poor choices. It doesn't make me feel good at all. But I don't want to continue this cycle anymore. I am committing myself right now to start using the tools again to get back on track. I have already planned my food today and I will get some kind of exercise. And I will try to be nice to myself.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #162  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday I averted total disaster by being mindful of the obvious signs and taking appropriate action. After dinner I packed up the leftover rhubarb cake and put it in mom's fridge, knowing I would snack on it if it was left at my house. When I woke up around 1am I wanted to eat salty crackers and instead had a banana and a handful of blueberries. Today, my goal will be to track my food. Even though I've only been tracking for 3 months I do find I am more careful with my choices when I keep track, just as the Beck book says. I have put a sticky on my computer, "Track Food Today!" So I will remember once I get back from my bike ride to the pool.

BillBlueEyes, yay for OP food from your own kitchen and for taking encouragement from a younger buff guy at the gym!

ChefJoona, realizing you didn't need the emotional connection to the Cadbury Egg was such a great reason to resist!

pamatga, great words to explain the sugar/overeating connection, "Sugar fuels the fire."

RubyJan, great that you've decided to start back at the beginning and build your Beck skills back up a task at a time.

woodland, great to hear from you! You have always been such inspiration to me at battling back those old bad habits. Great that you're ready to shine a bright light on them, again.

maryann, your "just the 3 of us" day sounded like fun. Good that you're getting off your own back about the scale-reminds me of Dr. Beck's references to that when she discusses how to figure out when you're going to start to maintain. I hope you're not getting sick.

wife2abadge, thanks for checking in, despite a very busy schedule.

CeeJay, yay for standing your ground regarding the sugar laden fat filled muffins.

Beverlyjoy, sorry to hear about four neighbor's mom...Good that it wasn't necessary to eat over it. Yay for another healthy day!

GardeningDeb, ouch for a stressful weekend but yay for "moments of better self-control". Those moments do add up.

onebyone, yay for a weekend OP. I hope you are finding something exciting at the ceramic studio.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yesterday was a great day! I am so thankful. In my day I included many of the healthy tasks goal I strive for. I really need to work on eating slower and really enjoying each bite.

Next week I am getting my new ankle/foot brace. My foot/ankle, however, is very very sore. I did a little bit of gardening. It's the walking on the grass (uneven surface) that irritates it. I took my usual nsaid.. but, it seemed to make me start to retain water. So, I need to get it checked out. Always something in the never ending saga of my foot/ankle. sigh. I refuse to let it get me down, I hope! lol

I have lost five pounds since last week.

I am doing some deep breathing - feeling very stressed. Not eating, though.

Thanks friends for being so supportive.

Have a wonderful day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #164  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post things and how they are

Hi Coaches

Okay this is what's going on:
  • started working at the ceramic studio though I haven't started using the clay yet but I was there and I am paid up and am ready to go anytime
  • met a fellow artist at the studio--may be my first friend here--we have MANY similarities including driving a red car
  • visited farmers' markets--none spoke clearly to me to GO THERE to sell my work but I am going to aim to try one this weekend
  • starting to make stuff for the market this weekend
  • working on my Key West Studios art residency application this week inspite of an impending postal strike here--plan to courier it to Key West=pricey. DUE DATE: June 2 (postmark)
  • trying to conserve our last $100 until DH is paid on the 31st
  • seeing this place isn't getting any cleaner until I, hello, clean it.
  • stopped opening moving boxes and putting things away = none of our rooms in this 2 bdrm apartment are set up/completed
  • going to MIL for a garage sale the last weekend of May. I should be opening ALL my boxes to get out the junk I took with me that I now, with the move, and the stress of the move over, realize I really don't need or want anymore

So all this stuff, that was on hold until after the Florida trip, and then on hold as I nursed my back back to health (pain is mostly in the foot still--hardly anything. YAY!), is now starting to weigh on me. I think I am, again, reacting to the stress/pressure with food. Mostly I am looking to food for pleasure.

What I have seen me do the past three days is put off eating breakfast. In my food plan for the day I left open the breakfast choices over the weekend knowing we could be eating out.

So on those mornings, in my head, I am assessing all the possible food I could have for breakfast and if we are going out, I don't want to eat at home if I can eat out and have something new, or eat somewhere new.

The last three days I have not even had breakfast at all -- a cookie yesterday at 10:30 doesn't really count but I called it that. I think yesterday's faux pas was more about being used to not eating breakfast. That happens really fast with me. I did it often.

So what happens when I don't eat breakfast is I OVEREAT at lunch and this sets up CRAVINGS for HUGE QUANTITIES of food. I've had that too the past three days. Today I ate breakfast and had a snack and just had lunch. Lunch was on the big side but it's over. Dinner next and it'll be smaller. My food is planned too and sent to my buddy.

Have MORE food always makes me want to have MORE and MORE food. Just cause I am not counting the calories right now and I am planning my day, doesn't mean I can have as much planned food as I can take within that timeframe. It's time to start to nail down my daily plans. Obviously I am willing to follow a plan.
That was step one for me.
Now to tweak it.

THIS WEEK'S TWEAK:
This week I am lowering the carb counts at my meals, drinking my water, sending in my daily food plan to my buddy and staying honest.

Bye Coaches.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #165  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Hey Peeps!
Beverlyjoy -- 5 lbs since last week!! That's great!

Lexxiss -- I try not to let food control me, but sometimes giving it away is just the best thing to do at the time. Good for you recognizing that you'd want the rhubarb cake if you kept it.

Lauren -- why do you think you went off the rails? Are you eating enough? Allowing yourself some foods you like at least sometimes or at least a few bites? I know my inner rebel likes to act out if I try to get too strict.

ChefJoona -- yea for clothes fitting! I can't wait until my favorite jeans fit again. Right now I can't even even come close to buttoning or zipping them.

Rubyjan -- you are sooooo right about saving money. I always thought that I'd go crazy buying clothes when I lost weight, but I really didn't. It didn't matter that I only had 3 pair of jeans because they all looked great on me.

Last night we got home from the middle school honors night and my two girls had ice cream. I kind of wanted some (heh..who am I kidding -- I really wanted some...), but told myself, "Hello?!? You want to lose weight. You can have ice cream any time, but perhaps now isn't exactly the best time." I was hungry, but had some berries and plain nonfat greek yogurt instead. And it was okay -- it really was. The store will never run out of ice cream, so really, I could go buy some whenever I wanted it. Right now, I just want a lower cholesterol and an absence of muffin top more.
Closed Thread