Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #121  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Thanks for the welcome everyone Well I had a pretty good day today. I'm still making my way through the book but I am trying to go by the success skills checklist in the back of the book. There are things I need to work on.

Slowing down and enjoying my food more. I tend to have a weird eating schedule and really it isn't even a schedule. So I ended up hurrying through my lunch because it was overdue and I needed to hurry. And then I ran out of time and had to down a protein shake pretty much on my way out the door to dd's swim lesson. I need to make more time for the things I need to get done, and make more time for enjoying meals.

Today the boyfriend sent me home with a small piece of cake for our dd. I was curious and it wasn't on plan but I did have a bite after dinner. I give myself credit for not eating more than that though. I had plenty of wiggle room to eat it but I should have probably resisted that one. It wasn't that great

Tomorrow I'm having sort of a cheat meal, but it will all also be planned and within my range so I'm hoping it will all go okay.

I did do some spontaneous exercise, sort of lol I usually send the bf downstairs if we need a can of food or something, but I sent myself down 3 times today. I homeschool my daughter and besides working I am sitting with her a lot. I will have to get creative for my spontaneous exercise I think.

Anyway, hope everyone had a great day
Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Quick post... I slept in this morning and need to be leaving for work in just a few minutes! Oops!

Food was good yesterday... Ben and Jerry's didn't happen, but a trip to the bakery next door did. I chose one thing, cut it in half and wrapped the other half up.

DFiance and I took a walk after work to our friend's condo down the street, as we are kitty sitting for a few days.

Bigknitter!!

Happy Birthday gardenerjoy! How wonderful to celebrate so much lighter than last year!!!

TGIF and waving to everyone
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Lauren (Bigknitter)

Lauren (Bigknitter)

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined 2 years ago,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this forum on the 3 Fat Chicks web site?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made an effort to skip the food portion of a meeting last night, but missed by a few minutes and ending up having some cake - OUCH. My iron-clad ability to skip unplanned foods needs rejuvenation.

Good long walk; CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Kudos for contacting the potters' guild person to get you going.

CeeJay - Kudos for remaining on plan during a stressful week.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Enjoy all the fine foods of Chicago. And Happy Birthday!!!

Beverlyjoy - Yay for a day on plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - LOL at reading cook books while exercising. Hope they don't cancel out the work.

maryann - I just love watching kids reach milestones - remembering fondly a friend tell me that his daughter just learned to walk down the stairs frontwards.

ChefJoona - Yay for gardening for exercise and just pure joy.

pamatga - Congrats for being able to do 12 BIG hours of sleep. Hope you're catching up.

Susan (wife2abadge) - Kudos for standing down M&M cookies at work - work stuff can slip in under my radar.

Lauren (Bigknitter) - It's great to have the thought that the yo-yo dieting can now end by using the strategies of Cognitive Therapy. I'm not a good candidate for being my own coach, since I can talk me into anything, LOL. But we're willing to be your collective on-line Diet Coaches/Buddies and hope you'll play that role for all of us. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 8
Talk to your Family

Most dieters don't want family members to mention their eating at all. They don't want to feel as if the "food police" are looking over their shoulders. In fact, many dieters eat quite modestly in front of others because they don't want to be judged - but then they can end up eating hundreds (or even thousands) of calories more when they're alone. It's important to let close family members know that you will be changing your eating habits and are enlisting their support. ...

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 41.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #125  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Haven't gone to bed yet. One good day is followed by several not so good nights for sleep. Now, I have no choice but to stay up because I am switching my paid tv provider-doing a bundle-and supposedly it could take upwards of 6 hours for the technician to get all the wiring done! OY! He/she is scheduled to be here in an hour. Today is Day 28-Weighing In. I have not lost any weight this past week. I also have not gained either. Still standing firm with what I lost last week.

On my BLC site, charts of both my Food Plan Progress and Fitness Progress are available for viewing if I wish. There is something about seeing it in a more visual way that brings home my efforts, both good or not so good. I was struck by how the Food Plan Progress the bars are not so up and down, like they have been in the past, where I would have one-two lower calorie days followed by one really high calorie day. Last week's was very stable, each day within a few hundred calories of each other. I think that is real progress.

Happy B-Day, gardenerjoy! Hope it is a good one!

Having now worked a full month of Days from the pink book, I am gaining more confidence that this task is doable. I have especially felt the deeper soul work done in the past week-ten days has been the most beneficial. I now know how to recognize some of my "stinkin thinkin" and I can "talk back to it". Not only can I stare it down, I can make it back off and leave me alone.

I was doing some browsing earlier this morning/late last night (however, you choose to look at that time period) on Amazon.com and whomever is the cookbook reviewer here what do you think of these books? I'm seriously consider on buying them. You can PM me if you want.

The Modern Vegetarian-Maria Elia
Baking with Agave Nectar-Ania Catalano
Super Natural Everyday-Heidi Swenson
Super Natural Cooking-Heidi Swenson
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian-Mark Bittman
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning. Cleaning the house today because Grandpa will be staying with us until first communion mass. OP yesterday except for a Reese. Adjusted rest of the day's calories and no weight gain this morning. Off to step class and Pilates. Yesterday's juice was a cuke, an apple and two celery stalks. It was really tasty. Today is a green-eyed smoothie - spinach juice w/frozen berries, banana and milk. DS finished his off.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks/coaches… yesterday was a healthy day. I am so grateful. That’s two in a row (and three since Monday). If I stay on plan today, then it will be three days and I will buy that new dress.

I do have some credits for yesterday:
Planned/measured/logged food
Ate seated except for one mindless taste - still a credit to me
Left a bite each time
Wrote in my journal
Stretches and strengthening
Short meditation
Use resistance techniques a couple of times.
Eating slower - a lot of the time

I had a doctor appointment & they have a big bowl of candy at the desk. I did NOT take any said NO CHOICE. I’ve been aiming to stay away from sugar - at least for now.

My friend has come over a couple days this week to help with some weeding and digging. May 21 is the plant swap/potluck. It’s the tenth year. I am bringing a sparkler.

Wifetoabadge - yes, life is so busy. Credit for making your lists and referring to them during the day!

Lexxiss - sounds like you had such a great day… yay. Mucho credits on 10 miles!! That’s awesome. What are you going to sew. Such a good distractions.

Ceejay - I am so, so glad that you are into your plan and feeling many of the positive things that result from doing so. Credit for planning packing your lunch. (it sure keeps it easier to stay on plan)

Maryann - well done on the veggie juice. I often put veggies in my smoothies. It’s such a good way to get in more vegetables. Enjoy your time with Grandpa.

Pamatga - well done on the Seven Step Technique in regards to your sabotaging thought. Isn’t it amazing how it can help put those thoughts into perspective as we learn to live healthfully and more sane with food. I must admit, if I am home alone I will sometimes actually shout out loud to those thoughts with vigor!! Major credit for getting the nutritional info you needed. (too bad if she’s busy - YOU are more important) So glad that a month with the pink book is feeling so right and you are finding it helpful.

big knitter - yes, slowing down is challenging, really, at first. When I am feeling like I am needing to slow down… for a day, I eat each meal and look at my watch and only eat the next bite after 30 seconds have passed. It’s not in the book.. But, I have a Beck friend (not on this site) who said it helps her. Credit for only one bite of cake.

Chefjoona - credit for avoid the ice cream… that’ hard!! Well done on the half cookie, too. Credit on the walk with DF.

Gardener joy - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! - Hope it was a great day.

Billbe - oops on the goodie at the meeting. I nice long walk is always so nice. (see any interesting birdies.)

Have a great day.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #128  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It's been a good day, so far, with one tweak; we went to Denny's at 2 am and I had a healthy omelet and side salad. I exchanged my regular lunch for my green smoothie instead. Exercise started with raking the snow off the lawn for tomorrow's yard sale. The rest of the day was spent hauling junk from many locations.(disclaimer: 99.9% of this junk is not mine!) I will put some free stuff on the curb and will smile when it leaves. I will happily take any $$ anyone will give me for this cr*p. *credit* moi for continuing to clean up family messes.
Funny, I reached in my purse this afternoon and found something wrapped up...a protein bar...what kind?? It was a TerraBone edible chew treat for dogs. lol I said NO CHOICE and resisted.
My computer is slow tonight and I need to sit with my pups and give them some attention...so I'll sign off for tonight.

Good work, everyone!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #129  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Friday -- plans and thensome.

Hi Coaches

Quick check-in. I was OP today credit and I have submitted my plan for tomorrow to my buddy.credit
The leg was much improved today and I chose to really rest today until DH got home and then we went out a bit but I was careful to walk slow and take extra care not to strain it. Tomorrow we're off to the farmers' markets (4 on my list) looking at them as a potential place for me to sell my artwork. After that we'll be attending an auction for pinball and videogame machines. DH would like a roomful of these beasts one day. Then we're seeing Thor at the theatre with DH's brother and his wife.

Over the weekend I'll pick up my clay (I hope) and pay my $ dues. I've arranged to be in the ceramic studio at the potters' guild on Monday morning credit and on Tuesday I will get myself to downtown Toronto ( I live North of the city) and into my studio to start work on something. Probably my sketched out astronaut painting.

Looks like I am actually going to start living here in this new town. credit I just hopehopehope the leg/back situation is truly on the mend.

Have a good weekend Beckies.

Lexxiss Kudos on all the work getting cr*p out and onto the curb and then onto tables and whatever else for sale. Sorry to read about the sn*w! AWFUL! Good luck to you for your sale. We're having our own at MIL's house the end of the month...
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Just a quick check in tonight.

I was not on plan today and need to get right back into the groove tonight. I have a plan for tomorrow and intend to stick to it.

I ditched my healthy lunch for chinese buffet. And I overate at dinner and ate desert so I am way over calories for the day. Oh well, there is no reason for me to not hop right back on plan this moment. I know there are going to be days like this, the key is to not let this be an excuse to carry on for days or even weeks of unhealthy eating.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #131  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A 100% on-plan day, CREDIT moi. I need a few of these to remind me that it's possible. DW made lentil soup for dinner; I could easily become a lentiltarian, LOL. I have always assumed that all lentils came from India, but it turns out (according to Wiki) that Saskatchewan is the largest exported of lentils in the world. Thanks Canada.

A good gym session, also, CREDIT moi. I'm back on track with my maximum weight dumbbells, which makes me very happy.

onebyone - Yay for a busy day engaged as a local resident.

CeeJay - Kudos for "hop right back on plan this moment" - it's a big deal to avoid that lure to go deeper and deeper.

Beverlyjoy - Holding my breath, cheering for the new dress. Kudos for ignoring the candy at the doctor's office; you'd think that doctors would want to set an example about junk food. [No special birds on my walk - but DW saw a Northern Parula in our yard yesterday!]

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Good luck on your yard sale today; seeing junk leave makes me so happy.

maryann - Love the name, "green-eyed smoothie." Are you a fan of Pilates? I tried them for a few weeks, but dropped out - only because the class time was too difficult to make. But I'm thinking of rejoining at a better time.

pamatga - LOL at "I can make it back off and leave me alone" - I'm enjoying the image of your Sabotaging Thoughts cringing away in terror.

Lauren (Bigknitter) - Kudos for the spontaneous exercise going downstairs to get stuff; I'm a big fan of making immediate trips on the stairs for exercise - mainly because in the past I would consistently stack things near the stair "for the next time I was going." Good luck working on making time for yourself - that's a big challenge.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 8
Talk to your Family

... You don't have to use the word diet. You can just tell them that you have decided to eat in a healthier way.
  • Explain that you are reorganizing the kitchen: "You can help me so much by keeping certain foods out of the house or out of sight."
  • Be nicely assertive: "I'm starting a new eating program, and I don't want to feel self-conscious, so please don't comment on anything I eat or don't eat."
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 41.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #132  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

ha ha Lexxiss -- good resistance on the "protein" bar!

Bill, my kids really like lentils a lot. They aren't quite as thrilled with beans, but will eat them if that's what we have for dinner.

Sticky thoughts, CeeJay! Glad you had a good Friday, onebyone. GO Beverlyjoy! That new dress is almost yours!!

maryanne -- our dd had her first communion last Sunday. She was the only girl who didn't wear a white dress and veil (they didn't have to), but chose to wear purple. That's my little individualist for you.

pamatga -- why don't you get the books from the library first and see if you think they're worth buying? I liked Mark Bittman's book, but didn't think it would be useful enough to own. I find Robin Robertson's books much more user friendly. Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book Appetite for Reduction is great too.

Well, off to shower, go to golf lessons, and then on to dd's track meet. Tonight we have a potluck gathering, but I have bean stew already made. It's supposed to be a Mexican theme, but too bad. I have the stew made, and we have to run dd to a birthday party and go to church after the track meet, so I don't have time to buy and cook something for the theme.

I'm thinking of trying to follow Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" plan for my "diet". I may not end up following it EXACTLY because I do like greek yogurt, and his plan is vegan, but I want to cut out sugar, eat fewer grains, and try to lower my cholesterol before my next blood test. What plans are y'all following?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Beckies/coaches/friends - hooray!! I stayed three days in a row on my plan. I am getting a new dress. (I actually had 4 healthy days since Monday .- but, when I slipped up on Tuesday I had to start again.) Yes...I will show you the dress later.

Credits for yesterday -
planned/measured/logged food
lots of water
worked on eating slower and TASTING the food
Arc/rc
left a small bite on my plate each time
willing to think if my wanting to eat was: hunger, craving, or desire
Stretches
Ate seated most of the time - a couple of tastes while cooking

I weighed - no change… boo hoo. I thought I’d see something after some good days (not fair.. Oh well) I will carry on.

Today my mom and I are going for lunch at Max and Erma's. I've figured out that I can have the Hula Salad. I can ask for plain chicken instead of soy sauce chicken. (salt)

Lexxiss - credit for rearranging your food and making it fit into your plan! It’s amazing that people will take almost anything you put on the lawn with a sign saying ‘free’. We did that when we moved ten years ago. Good exercise moving all that ‘stuff’ around.

Onebyone - so glad to hear of your OP day. It seems to being helpful to be submitting your plan. - that’s wonderful. Major credit for doing so many things to make your new city feel like home!

Ceejay - I always say what you said… Hop back on your plan and move forward. Plan, plan and plan some more.

Billbe - CREDIT for your 100% OP day. It feels so good and helps keep you on the path you want. Good job on the gym. (I like lentils too - DH, not so much)

wife2abadge - credit for making your stew for the potluck - so there's something healthy. Lowering cholesterol is a wonderful goal and often a side effect of healthful eating.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-14-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #134  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Thanks again for the welcome everyone! Bill I found the Beck Diet through this forum just searching around the different plans.

Well I did good yesterday, until I decided to have a few too many drinks, which weren't planned, and then I ate fast food. Ugh. I filled out my checklist and I just didn't practice any of the skills at all yesterday. I will get back on track today and do better.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #135  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

The yard sale was a success...it's a good thing because it's looking like it may snow again. I made a trip to our Sr. Center with donations and made another trip to my mom's dumpster. If I can't give it away it's better in the trash than in my house….hmm….sounds familiar.lol Food has been right on and I have an food event tonight. I'm going to bring a salad for our table to share and resist the Cornish Miners Pasty, which is just a cute name for shortening/white flour beef and potatoes, none of which sound very appealing right now.

BillBlueEyes, just finished my lentil curry….they are a staple at our house. Interesting that many come from Canada. Yay for a 100% OP day and maximum weight dumbbells...perhaps one influenced the other. lol

Lauren(bigknitter
), great that you are already tuning in to how Beck can help you conquer your unplanned eating!

Beverlyjoy, yay for using your essential tools to put a string of days together sticking to your plan. I think your idea of a short term goal was excellent.

Susan(wife2abadge), great that you are narrowing down your "diet" choices. I follow South Beach Diet, mostly vegetarian style. I have made my own "tweaks" to fit my lifestyle, too. Yay for homemade healthy food taken to potlucks. It's one of my favorite strategies.

CeeJay, yay for making a plan to get right back in the groove. BTW- I don't do Chinese buffet anymore...once I start, I can't stop and then just move to the next food. I've identified it as a trigger. (perhaps it's some of the not so healthy additives)

onebyone, I'm so glad to hear you're finally feeling like you're going to live in "this new town." I thinkg that feeling helps in other areas, too. Great job that you are keeping in touch with your buddy every day.

pamatga, really looking at your Food Plan Progress and Fitness Progress and noticing "real progress" is just fantastic! Yay for working so hard at tracking to be able to see those results.

I must go take a short nap if I'm going to be in tip top food form tonight. I'm tired, rightfully, so.
Closed Thread