Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Happy Tuesday...

I don't feel well rested at all this morning... DFiance tossed and turned all night and kept me awake too. I look forward to coming home and relaxing tonight after work.

Food was good yesterday. Credit for saying NO to a baked treat when I had tea with my mother, and saying NO to a craving for a 100-calorie Klondike bar I bought at the store because I was an hour away from eating dinner.
REally working hard on the hunger and non-hunger and hungry feelings are not an emergency skills.
Last night I made stuffed red peppers... I made up the stuffing recipe- whole wheat couscous, white beans, scallions, fresh basil, and a bit of reduced fat feta tossed with left over vinegrette from the Quinoa salad.

LexxissYou can find the Quinoa salad recipe from Eden Foods website. Browse by ingredient in the left hand drop down menu and select Quinoa. You'll see Quinoa, Blueberry, Walnut, Garbanzo salad part way down the list. I modified some of the ingredients in the vinegrette.

Caught up on everyone's posts, but no time for personals. Wishing you all a good Beck day!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #92  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Well, I did great until about 9 PM yesterday when I started eating ... OH WELL ... today is a new day. My plan for today is to stop planning so much (other than my plan of eating) and to stay in the moment and experience the richness of each moment as much as I can, without trying to change it.

I played the Steinway B yesterday ... it was beautiful ... not exactly what I expected, because it's newer than most of the Steinways I've played in my life, so the feeling is a bit different ... but still beautiful. I felt a lot of pressure from the piano shop guy to make a decision on the spot ... I didn't give in but it was hard. I'm going to go back and play it again tomorrow or the day after and see what happens. I also have another piano to see - I'll play it on the weekend if possible.

ChefJoona - wtg on getting into those pants!!
gardenerjoy - I relate to that feeling of apathy - I need to also trust that this will get easier. Thanks for that reminder.
wife2abadge - thanks for sharing your story with us! My go-to reward for 5 lbs is yarn (I'm a knitter) - do you have a hobby or pastime that you need "stuff" for?
pamatga - WTG walking for an hour!! Fantastic! Interesting idea about Mind over Mood - will definitely check that out. Thanks for the recommendation!
maryann - No Choice! Exactly ... that is my motto today. Thanks for your very wise words - nothing is wasted in this life. I need to remember that.
onebyone - credit for staying OP and exercising in the face of challenges!!! Big kudos!
Debbie (Lexxiss) - great OP eating and exercise day!
CeeJay - sorry to hear about your shoulder - great NO CHOICE attitude!! Hope it heals quickly.
MaryContrary - You are doing great! It is indeed hard to be in the situation you're in ... I've been in it so many times! Your Beck skills will see you through.
GardeningDeb - Great job avoiding the trigger foods at the store! You are off to a great start.

OK - here goes Tuesday - an opera audition for my friend the tenor, then an online class, then talking with my piano tech about the Steinway B (yay), then meditation class tonight ... May Madness! Have a great day all!
Erika
Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #93  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy A Tuesday in May

Good Morning Coaches

DH set off to work this morning. He's facing a challenging day today; 3 meetings in the afternoon and prep for that this morning.

I found myself jealous over his job as he left for work. There was I, the good missus, having packed him a lunch and handing it to him as he kissed me goodbye.

My day feels empty.

I just keep *noticing* that my leg is still sore from my back. I don't want to take pain meds for it so I don't--but then it hurts. I need to find a doctor or I need to go back to the walk-in clinic. I am grateful things are not worse.

I tried to weigh in today but that scale is completely broken now. It turns on, then just turns off. So no scale for now. My motivation doesn't come from the scale anyway. It's, as Lexxiss said a few days ago, that every 5lbs less is 5lbs less hurting time (to paraphrase a bit).

I'm committing my food to my buddy, and I'm staying OP. As far as things go, this is #1 on my list.

UPDATE:
CREDITS

-stayed OP, adjusted my foodplan, reported changes to my buddy
-sent my plan for tomorrow to buddy
-did 7min of bouncing
-walked 15min approx.
-started to get myself set-up to work on my residency application

Last edited by onebyone; 05-10-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks… yesterday, finally, I had a healthy food day. I am so, so grateful. I stayed within my plan and drank lots of water.

I am getting new foot/ankle brace on May 24 instead of today - the brace lady called off for some reason. They said they would send it to me in the mail, but recommended I wait and talk to person who fitted me. I am grateful that it doesn't upset me. (it's the way everything goes with this ankle/foot senerio -LOL)

Once again, I want to thank you all for being so supportive during any and all crises. I know that many of you posted here to give me your thoughts and support. I haven’t been in a good place to respond to each comment to me. But, please know how grateful I am for your thoughts.

I ordered Dr. Beck’s third book. I think some fresh thoughts might be helpful. I know her techniques work for me when I am willing and able to use them.

Onebyone - I am hoping your back is all better soon and that you have no pain. Five pounds is awesome. Remember - five pounds is 25 sticks of butter.

Erika - hop right back on your plan. Sometimes the evening is hard for me too. Once in a while, I’ll go to sleep just to not think about food. Credit for standing firm on you trying different pianos before you decide which one to buy.

Chefjoona.- Credit for your good day and saying no choice to many temptations. Carry on.

Billbe - credit for enjoying your leftover and staying on plan. I think switching it up at the gym can help to keep it fresh and more interesting.

Pamatga - I love your response card >>>"What I am Doing Right Today/How Far I Have Come". <<<<<< is a great idea. I think I will follow suit with that. Major credit for your better health in so many areas of your life!!! - all as a result of better eating. It does make such a difference. I great reminder.

Gardening-deb - nice to meet you. Wonderful job passing up chips and chocolate. That’s a major success. So glad you stayed on plan!

Mary contrary - many great credits. Kudos to you for ridding the house of lots of goodies. I can well imagine how difficult it is to be living in a place with so many food memories. Credit for using your skills.

Ceejay - sorry to hear of your shoulder injury. I hope it heals quickly. Major credit for looking to No Choice to help get you through is tough time.

Lexxiss - well done with stopping after eating extra pineapple - it’s easy to say ‘what the heck’ to a healthy food and stopping when you were full. You rock!

Wife2abadge - hi! Some nice rewards could also include a new lipstick/make up goodie, special hand lotion, pretty note cards, or even a new key ring.

gardener joy - day 24 is awesome and 100% on plan with food. YAY!!!

Have a good day, friends!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

The hall of my classroom is quiet. I have a little time to write. Found tomatoes on the discount aisle so instead of cuke juice I made homemade V8. I thought it was pretty good although my system is still adjusting to concentrated vegis. It is indeed more expensive using only fresh things so I am glad I can put the nearly tossed vegis to work. 2nd day OP - not to be taken lightly. Credit for a good job teaching. I did a simulation project on Industrialization with my "sweathog" class and every one of the kids was actively engaged and excited. That is saying something for 8th graders (many of whom have not met the .75 GPA requirement to walk at graduation.) Yeah for our team.
Beverleyjoy: Good to hear from you. Credit for continuing to post during difficult times.
Onebyone: You remind me to be grateful for having a place to go in the morning. it seems a little easier to stay away from food at work.
Mary Contrary: I am a homebody. It would be tough on me to be away from my things.
Eusibius: You must be a wonderful player to being chosing among Steinways. I was a music major in a former life, voice major. I used to give my professors near heart attacks when I tried to pass piano proficiency.
ChefJoona: It is funny how innocent a little klondike bar looks. decptive. It can throw me off for days.
Ceejay: physical pain is one of the toughest situations for me. it is difficult to say No Choice to food when I don't feel good.
Lexxiss: credit for moderation and stopping wehen you are full. Tough for me.
Pamatga: I think your on the same page as garderjoy. She was talking about discouragement yesterday.
BBE: I love leftovers. MMM.

Last edited by maryann; 05-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #96  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It has turned out to be quite busy this week and I'm grateful that I had unknowingly decided to plan my food for the entire week. Today I had a woman from the historical society come look at all the books I've been sorting and she didn't take one. I just got DH and said lets pack them in the car and take them to Denver. One used book store wasn't interested so we drove several blocks to Goodwill and gave them all away. 100+years of books are gone, with the exception of "The Last of The Mohicans", given to my mom in 1931. I feel so much better. Exercise was book hauling. I was in two Whole Foods today. *credit* for resisting everything but a large navel orange which was enjoyed in the car coming home.

BillBlueEyes, ouch for Bball games, but still keeping the faith. *credit* for sorting, exercising AND eating OP. What a great combo! Very interesting about strength on a given day having a relationship to sleep. Hmm...

CeeJay, I'm so sorry you hurt yourself. Take care, check in with your coaches lots and remember that it WILL get better AND you'll be losing weight when you answer NO CHOICE.

MaryContrary, I relate to your feeling all the memories of the house you were raised in. I live in and am restoring our family home...I'm doing ok but my sis has a hard time visiting me. Great that you jumped back into your food journaling when necessary. I always observe you are very good at that.

GardeningDeb, good job saying NO CHOICE at the market. I do better now, but for quite a long time I absolutely positively did not go to the candy or chip aisles unless I had an iron clad reason to be there. Instead, I would head through the pet food or soap aisle if I needed to get to the back of the store.

pamatga, lol at 1/3 of a happy meal possibly being a C food. *credit* for just a couple of bites to satisfy legitimate hunger. I love your Response Card, "What I am Doing Right today/How Far I Have Come". I'm going to try one, too.

ChefJoona, *credit* for that baked treat that you resisted when having tea AND saying no to the Klondike bar. I try to remember that those isolated events really do add up over time, especially when we eat them while noticing we are not hungry. Thx for sending me towards that recipe!

Erika (eusebius), great that you are committing to living in the present. I think it helps with the food stuff, too.

onebyone, I hope you're healing a bit. I am remembering how busy and frantic your moving was and hope you are able to fill some of the emptiness in your day. Just to modify the info…5 pounds loss x4=20 pounds less pressure on your knee joints. *credit* for committing to your buddy and staying OP.

Beverlyjoy, yay for a healthy day! I'm interested to hear about Dr. Beck's third book, especially as you remind yourself that her techniques work when you are willing and able.

maryann, yay for another day OP! I will be curious to see if you notice an increase in energy as your system adjusts to the fresh juice. I, too, find it so helpful to use everything. With my machine I can even use radish tops and understand they are more nutritious than the radishes.

*credit* to Beck Diet Solution and my willingness to try...I will try another week planning out all my menus, while saving my menu from the previous week in a 3 ring binder for future reference. I am very pleased with how I feel when I take that decision out of every day.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #97  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Day 25: Identify Sabotaging Thoughts
I'm keep getting better at identifying them, which is good because new ones keep cropping up! Kind of like weeds in the garden.

WI: -0.05kgs, Exercise: +75* 450/1200 minutes for May, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #98  

Hi Everyone,
So I did okay today with fresh veggies but fruits went out the window. I didn't have any which is way unusual for me. I was in the store once again and I was so craving chocolate. I probably should stay out of the stores this week. I did buy some chocolate covered peanuts and ate a few but it was sugar free. Not sure that makes it better. In the past, I would have eaten the whole Russell Stover package. It was a nice feeling to just have a few and set the rest on the counter. I am finding sf gum is helpful too.

I did start re reading the chapter 3. Also popped the Power90 Cardio workout in the DVD and made myself do the workout. My reward was being able to go on the computer. It helped to get me moving setting a boundary that way. So it was an okay day today. Well be back in the morning.

GardeningDeb
Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #99  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi. Thank goodness Weight Watchers has declared fruits and veggies to have zero points because I ate three kiwis last night. Those little guys are so good! I had purchased a bunch of them at 10 cents each and thought I had better get rid of them before they spoiled. I don't do Weight Watchers, but I do invoke their zero points at my convenience, LOL.

Exercise was a walk and today's the day I increment my month ticker for being on maintenance; CREDIT moi for both.

onebyone - LOL at being "the good missus." Kudos for your bouncing and walking despite the pains.

Erika (eusebius) - Good Grief!!! Steinway salesmen aren't supposed to imitate used car salesmen, LOL. This purchase is more like a marriage since you intend to live with this for a long, long time - "until death do you part."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - You're lucky to have new Sabotaging Thoughts; I seem to keep falling for the same old tired ones, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for yet another delay in your foot/ankle saga, however minor. Kudos for not letting it upset you.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Monster Kudos for letting 100+ years of books go to the next readers. My DW enjoys watching folks carefully pick over the box of FREE stuff we have on the curb. Always amazes me what people will take.

maryann - Kudos for buying the end of life tomatoes. At the summer farmer's market, baskets of Use-Right-Now tomatoes are dirt cheap; I've always wished I could buy them.

ChefJoona - Kudos for saying NO in two compelling situations. Your recipes always sound inspiring.

pamatga - Kudos for "lost 10% of my body mass and kept it off" as well as your other health improvements. Glad you're here to keep that going. [Love the image of your front porch overlooking a wooded ravine for watching birds.]

GardeningDeb - Kudos for standing down the chocolate craving; before my journey, I was capable of a whole large Hersey dark chocolate bar. Good move to do your exercise before allowing yourself computer time.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Fill Your Distractions Box

In Stage 1, you will learn many techniques to help you follow your plan despite temptation. Distracting yourself - by focusing on another activity - is one such strategy. But the distractions you choose need to be compelling to successfully draw your attention away from food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 39.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

On plan eating day yesterday until after dinner. I had a bowl of fresh spinach and reheated one of my stuffed peppers- a great dinner. Then I made the choice to pick at DFiance's left over fried chicken... ouch! I said NO choice to an evening snack after that.

Credit for noticing some non-hunger sensations I would have considered hunger in the past.

No credit for exercise yesterday. Today I plan to help some co-workers garden outside our office building and perhaps a walk with DFiance after work.

Food is packed and planned for today.

Wishing you all a productive day!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #101  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone - crashed and burned last night - back on plan. OH WELL, back on plan. That is all.

Hope to play the Steinway again today.

Thanks for all your encouraging words. This group is the best.
One moment at a time ...
Erika
Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #102  
Green Tomatoes

Day 26: Recognize Thinking Mistakes
All or Nothing is my favorite, in pretty much every area of life. If it's not perfect, what's the point? The point, grasshopper, is to keep learning and keep getting better and recognize that imperfection is the way the world rolls.
I'm also pretty good at Exaggerated Thinking. I remember a golden age when I could eat what I wanted with much more fondness than it deserves. I fear that making the changes I will need to make to lose another 10 to 15 pounds will be much harder than they will be.

WI: +0.15kgs, Exercise: +75* 525/1200 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #103  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up wednesday yay

Hi Coaches

I woke up with a less painful leg so that was good. It's back to hurting again but it's not as bad. credit to a body that wants to heal

Today's foodplan is made and I'm OP so far. credit

My plan for today is to bounce on the trampoline for 15min over the course of the day (done) and go for a walk this evening with DH. We went out last night and visited a man made reservoir with lots of Canadian geese living there. It's weird to have birds hissing at you as you walk by. We came upon a clutch of baby birds, all huddled together, making small peeping sounds. It was Youtube worthy but I didn't have my camera. Maybe we'll go back tonight hoping to see them again and get them on camera.

We also took a walk in a run-down strip mall nearby. The Dollarama is there and I wanted to see what else was. And guess what? The Bikram Yoga place was there. The mall looks really shabby from the outside but this place was gorgeous inside. Bikram is "hot yoga" aka yoga done in a hot room and I have been thinking about trying it ever since my sister did it last year. I did yoga on my own as a kid for about 10 years. The whole "yoga in a group" thing is weird to me but given my injury I think right now it would be safer. Also I believe in sweating and hot air and I know Yoga is gentle but effective. Anyway, they are having a 30 day unlimited classes introductory price for 1st timers for $40. I may get a pass on the weekend when DH gets paid. If there was any time that I need extra help physically it is now.

I'm going to work a bit on my residency application today and I am going to try to find my materials for making things for a farmers' market. I am *really* hoping to find a market I can fit into really soon. I need the $ very badly. We need the $ badly. We're facing a financial crunch what with the move and the trip. Oh well. Nothing to eat over.

Going to have lunch how. Hope you're out there having a good day today.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... healthy Tuesday and on plan until right before bed. I'll try again. I wrote down all my food. Credit.

The scale is going up. I must stop this...I just must. I can't change one thing I've done before today. No use being hard on myself. I will move forward... and I will carry on.

I've decided when I have three healthy days in a row I am going to buy a new dress. But, if I overeat one day... then I have to start again. Sounds good to me.

Pretty outside... yay

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-11-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #105  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM and GD all! My Internet was down for about 28 hours and I told the technician who came out that I can handle the phone being down but I really sweat it when my Internet goes down. Good thing I posted early yesterday before it went down.

I will say that after I read Day 25 Sabotaging Thoughts I decided to take it one step further and I made up two recipe cards with some common sabotaging thoughts I have. Dr. Beck suggests writing them in a notebook but I thought why not save the paper and my hand and just do it directly on my Response Cards. I titled these "Strategies to Counter Sabotaging Thoughts". For ex; I'm too tired to be so disciplined regarding eating or working out. My counter is/was Get better sleep/rest (min goal: new mattress) and get back in shape. I'm stressed/disappointed/bored/in pain. Stressed-focused breathing, working out or shower/pool Disappointed-read cards, practice "acceptance and letting go" Bored-find something engrossing to do In Pain-focused breathing, take meds, stretch if possible.

For today, I did Day 26 Identifying Thinking Mistakes while waiting for the technician to arrive. I added one more to the list. I have to do this perfectly. followed by "Says who?" After I ate at McDonald's the other night, I really went through a real soul searching trying to decide whether that constituted being OP or Off Plan so I made a specific card "Defining On Plan". I realized that based on my Biggest Loser Food plan (first choice) it was OP, just not Gold Star....more Bronze Star.

Part of my perfectionism is a lot of self doubts especially in this area of my life. I have to keep my standards high but not so high that it is not humanly attainable. I'll probably write a separate card on that sometime in the near future.

Here is something that I heard yesterday while I was watching Oprah's show on former overweight guests. Bob Green, her long time diet and fitness coach, said these are three questions we need to ask before we begin dieting. I thought I would share:
1)Why are you overweight?
2)Why do you want to lose weight?
3)Why have you been unable to maintain weight lose?

I read it to my DH and he answered each one exactly as I had without me telling him my answers, which I wrote on the back of the card. He is a good listener. Also, I had told him a few weeks ago that from now on don't bring me home anything from any social function he attends that I am unable to. He went to a commitment where he had to sing. I could have gone but two reasons stopped me: I am feeling "spacey" from lack of sleep and just couldn't summon up the energy to get dressed and I felt that because of that I would be in a "vulnerable" place and I would be more likely to eat all the sweets that I knew would be at the reception. I would have used the excuse the sugar/caffeine would be a good stimulant and "perk me up". I apologized to DH when I saw how disappointed he was that I wasn't going. I also thanked him for complying with my new "directives". I am so blessed to have him.

Beverlyjoy when you get your next new dress you have to share with us what it looks like and why you decided that was the one to celebrate your commitment to yourself and your healthy.
Onebyone I have been told yoga is perfect for those of us who have RA and osteo arthritis. I used to when I "didn't need to". Now, I am apprehensive about getting up from getting down on the floor but I hope you like it.
gardenerjoy we are literally on the same page! Who knew that our thoughts could be so controling and at cross purposes with our best intentions!
eusebius- my DH spent several hours today replacing a 20 gauge bass string in a Steinway. He has very long arms but he was really sweating it when I checked in with him. These are work of arts. Period! Fit for the artist you are. FYI all- Mason & Hamlin and Steinway are the only two piano makers that are made solely in the U.S. TG we haven't imported that. China has been really trying to penetrate the market but these two are really holding tight.
Chefjoona-Yum! peppers and spinach are two of my new favorites for veggies. Now, I will have them fresh from my garden this summer.
BBE-only one word of caution about zero calories. I overdid watermelon this past weekend and I paid for it (the D word). TG for aloe infused tp. No one has to tell me to eat fruit, always loved it, only to know when to stop. That certainly got me doing "spontaneous movement". Nuff said.

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 05-11-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Closed Thread