Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #76  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Happy Belated Mother's Day! I hope that it was a good one for all. Also, wife2abadge.

For Mother's Day, I purposely decided that I was going to do most of my day in spiritual exercises; the same ones that I have been doing for the past several months.

Believe it or not, but the stress I am feeling is exercising my resistance muscle so much. Yikes! I am really feeling stressed out by the choices that I have been making these past couple of days regarding my food plan but I am dead ON PLAN! I have really wanted to eat everything but what I have actually planned and what I have actually eaten. I just could feel the amount of self-control that it takes to do this No Matter What and, wow, is right!

"No Choice" is not for wimps. Since I have had such horrible sleep I asked my DH to fetch some favorite "OP" foods for me yesterday which I also enjoyed today. I have managed to stay around 1800 calories, no added sugar, no empty calories and all the good things Mother Nature provides for us if we would only take the time to eat it.

DH had walked for 10 miles so he gobbled down 4 Kit Kat bars while I was working my Day's lesson "Counter the Unfairness". I didn't feel resentful or even think "Unfair". However, I will say that I could really smell the chocolate from where I was sitting. Instead, I happily ate my cut up ripe watermelon; juicy, red and delicious. Reminds me of the fable about the man who was thirsty but was bound and gagged. Only a sip please, he said. I swear I am going through some kind of de-tox here.

Today, I cancelled our Mother's Day plans to include eating out. I have done this a lot lately. I have told my DH that I don't want to go out to eat unless I feel well enough to thoroughly enjoy the food and the experience. Instead, I made us turkey bacon BLTS along with 1 rounded TB each of potato salad and cold deli beans with fresh strawberries for dessert. It was a delicious meal but psychologically, I could feel myself wanting something "undefined" more.

My adult son called me only to end up talking about himself for nearly 2 hours. Since we had an estranged relationship for many years, I am always glad when he now feels comfortable talking to me but half way through the middle I realized that, although this is Mother's Day, who exactly is noticing? So, I did my best to "relax" and say "Oh, Well!"

I really like the part of Counter the Unfairness by focusing on all the advantages you have that others don't. I look around at this group and I see such a bright, talented, capable bunch of people and I think so why can't we slay this ugly dragon, called Food Addiction/Obsession? The more I read this (pink) book, the more I realize how much my mind was standing in the way of a very long held dream/goal/acheivement! I need a trim please on my "Fat Head".

Well, gardenerjoy, I fully understand your surprise at discovering you will need to change your food plan. In the pink book, Dr. Beck remarks that we need to have a start up and then a back up food plan. I discovered the same thing when I did the South Beach Diet for a couple of years. Yes, I needed to eat low fat/no sugar and low carb but I also needed to count calories. I found out you can maintain an unhealthy weight eating quite healthy. Now, that is a stumper.

Besides, eating less I am also finding that I need to cut out the crap in my food plan as well. That is a C-food too. Crap! The stuff I eat when I want just "one bite, one little piece, just this time...". Those one little bites made the big woman I am today.

There would have been a time when I would have said "No Way" instead of "No Choice" because I didn't want to take it that far. I would have said, "You're nuts. That's too extreme. No one can live that way You don't want to become like one of those people." Well, yes, I do.

Well, my resistance muscle has certainly gotten a work out these past couple of days but I have resigned myself that if I have to do this (and maybe even more) then I am going to tough it out the best that I can. It might even get harder before it gets easier but right now I am willing to do what it takes to get all this extra weight off. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Last edited by pamatga; 05-09-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Mother's Day dinner was from Whole Foods - maybe one of the better meals I've ever purchased there: yellow beet salad was exquisite, mushrooms with garlic cloves yummy, great spinach, spicy shrimp appetizers, and a "backyard BBQ chicken," followed by fruit for desert. CREDIT moi for healthy choices and cheers for having a family who appreciate healthy choices.

Exercise included a bird walk, CREDIT moi, with a few of the migrating warblers being visible.

onebyone - Kudos for a list of credits, including "had 'normal' servings."

CeeJay - What a great day - three hours of Elton John and on plan both in the same day. Kudos for visiting Tim Hortons and sticking to coffee.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, Kudos indeed for "modifying meals around unexpected plan changes" - your life seems to demand that a lot from you; glad you're a master.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for the Sabotaging Thought, 'why bother.' But it is so you to respond with, "I won't give up."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for 10 miles before brunch.

pamatga - Admirable determination there with, "No ifs, ands, or buts." Kudos for putting out the extra effort this seems to be taking at this point. Hope it grows to be more routine as you stay the course.

GardeningDeb - Congrats for having a DIL who will make a special dessert rather than just try to foist whatever on you. Kudos for the strategy of having a healthy snack before you went.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box

When you write down an accomplishment, such as sticking to your plan when you were particularly stressed, record how you accomplished this feat so you can use that information again when you encounter similar situations. Storing these memories in your Memory Box or Diet Notebook allows you to vividly recall them when you lose confidence, get discouraged, feel deprived, or think that it's just not worth it to stay on your diet. When you feel as if dieting is too hard, you can pull out you Memory Box and remind yourself why dieting is worth it --- and that you really can do it!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 39.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-10-2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #78  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

I have good news and bad news ...
The bad news is that I gained 5 lb back while waiting for my antidepressant dosage to kick in
The good news is that it has now kicked in and I feel ready to start over. So here I am again.
Also, the piano is in the neighbourhood shop now being tuned and regulated. I hope to get a chance to play it this week sometime. Trying to stay calm and in the moment ...
Thanks everyone for your patience with me!! Here we go again ...
Erika

p.s. Welcome GardeningDeb and wife2abadge!
p.p.s. onebyone - absolutely love your artwork and congrats on the well-deserved recognition you received from the city.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning,

My post from yesterday morning disappeared... strange. I had a good weekend... celebrating Mother's Day with time with my mom, sister and soon-to-be mother in law. There were some treats involved, but I also balanced it with exercise- a walk with dfiance on Saturday and a bike ride yesterday.

The sun has finally come to Vermont, which I am noticing is brightening my mood. I hope to get outside today, though I need to be here as the Condo Association property manager is coming around cleaning dryer vents.

I am wearing a pair of pants today that I bought in my early 20's and I haven't been able to fit into for the last 5 years. They fit perfectly again! Feels really good

Billbe The quinoa salad I made on Saturday has chick peas, green peas, scallions, dried blueberris and walnuts with a light vinegrette. It is delicious!!

Tonight I'm going to make red peppers stuffed with whole wheat couscous, white beans and basil. Yum!

Hope you all have a great start to the week.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #80  
Green Tomatoes

Day 24: Deal with Discouragement
For me, this is much less of a problem than unfairness or just plain apathy. It also helps that I've been at this long enough that I know this to be true: "Remember, dieting does get easier." I trust that will continue to be so.

WI: -0.05kgs, Exercise: +75* 375/1200 minutes for May, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #81  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Well, thanks for the warm welcomes, all. Okay...long story ahead I read the "pink" book when it first came out, but wasn't in a healthy enough mental place to do any of it. I joined 3FC in 2004, when I was only 6 pounds away from my goal weight, but I was very mired in disordered thinking in regards to food and was overexercising. After I recovered from a bicycling accident in 2005 (broke my leg into 45 pieces and couldn't walk for 10 weeks), my behavior changed from restricting and overexercising to bingeing. I gained 30+ pounds very quickly and was miserable. I sought help from a therapist who specialized in eating disorders and recovered well enough to lose 20 lbs without backsliding. HOWEVER, since then I've allowed myself to take one step forward, two steps back again and again, and, though I haven't ever ended up in the horrible place I was years ago, I've had glimpses of it. I'm finally straightening up my act enough to try to lose this weight without obsessing.

My therapist used a lot of cognitive behavoral type stuff with me when I was seeing her, so I thought Beck's book might be helpful to me. I lurked on your thread for a week or so, and no one seemed totally "I ate a cookie -- I'm so bad" (which drives me nutty), so here I am. I was listening to the audio version of the pink book, but last night when I got the "book" book to read, it was the green one. I'd not read that one. It seems quite different (?).

I got as far as choosing rewards for each 5 lbs lost, but I'm kind of stumped. Does anyone have a good suggestion? I thought of new workout clothes (mine are old tshirts and shorts), and the typical manicure/pedicure/massage...but was wondering if anyone else has something good to suggest.

ChefJoona -- good on your for the pants fitting -- such a great feeling!!

BillBlueEyes -- your dinner sounds delish. I wish we had a Whole Foods here.

Dang pamatga -- my hat is off to you. Four Kit Kats...when my dh chows down on a giant bowl of ice cream, I want to dump it on his head sometimes.

I have to do some actual work now, so HI to everyone else! I look forward to getting to "know" you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
:
How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this thread on the 3 Fat Chicks site?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #82  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Well,wife2abadge, your "story" (life experience) sounds so similar to mine. I have had a very unhealthy relationship with food for decades. I too did a stint in therapy and my therapist kept telling me to "feel the feelings". Well, if you start reading my posts I would think you would think I am all feeling here. It seems that way to me as I type this. I am so direct about my feelings I don't know how I couldn't possibily be experiencing them.

Right now, I realize that my unplanned and overeating masks the anxiety I feel about the powerlessness I am experiencing right now (and have been experiencing for the past couple of years). Take away my distraction eating and I am "hurting". I hope this all makes sense because I have been sleeping in spurts--in the past 14 hours I slept two different times for 2 1/2 hours total. I decided to ignore that fact and we went shopping this morning. We stopped at our garden. The hydragnea has to be moved. The Georgia sun is just too hot for its delicate "nature". Our open porch is more shaded so it will find a new home. While DH was seeing his eye doctor, I shopped and I walked around (slowly) for an hour. No, I didn't believe I could do it and I was really weak but I did it.

Answer to your question: I am buying myself a new pair of shoes for each 5 lbs lost. Although, I saw some really cute summer clothes for my great niece, Sadie, who is 14 months old, so my second 5 lbs will be these clothes for her. Her mommy, my niece, is expecting a second child in late October, so I figured she could use the "help" with getting some summery clothes for Miss Sadie.

Everyone's Mother's Day lunches sounded delicious. Today, I went to our favorite buffet place and on my hot plate I had 3/4 full of vegetables and my cold plate had 3/4 full of fresh fruit. I had 4 oz of turkey meat and cold seafood salad besides. Eleven days on my new "Beck Plus Diet". No empty calories, no added sugar, no processed, no preservatives, no anything but good o' plain goodness, the way Mother Nature intended it. It is very well possible I am physically going through a chemical withdrawal. I'll let you know if I improve. If not, well, it is going to be a long haul but one I am willing to take.

P.S. I ordered the green book too just so I knew what you were talking about Bill in your "boxes" there.

Last edited by pamatga; 05-09-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Monday - Not an Oxymoron: I showed up to work today and was of good service. I said - No Choice - to the lurking helplessness I often feel at the beginning of the week. OP ( a miracle considering the lurking) and am now home to juice a cuke for good measure. What will it taste like. HMMM?
BBE: Whole Foods sounds great. I am so grateful for my new found fascination with all things vegi.
Pagmata: Credit for portions. Filling the plate with the right proportions was one of my first, best tools.
Eusibius: I am glad the medication is working. It is hard to believe but there is nothing wasted in this life. Every experience, even the depression brings about solutions that help life progress. My belief anyway. It takes what it takes to get us on the right road.
Chef Joona: terrific about the jeans. Such a great feeling.
Gardenerjoy: Discouragement is much less of a threat when you know a program works.
wife2abadge:I buy myself a new itune for every pound and then use them to work out to.

Last edited by maryann; 05-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #84  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile Monday

Hi Coaches

I'm following my plan and being accountable today so this is OP for me.
credit.

I had two challenges today.
1) I cooked from scratch and wanted A LOT of it for my dinner. I chose one large bowlful, no seconds, no choice.

Then DH called and he was coming home. So I made dinner for him. He doesn't like soup which is what I had made for myself--from the turkey carcass I took, with some shame afterwards, from my MIL over Easter. Anyway, it made a great soup today...

2) So for DH I made some pasta and had planned to have that this morning for dinner but I already ate and then when it came time to finish the food and to let DH know it was done... I just didn't want any. And I didn't have any.
credit.

That surprised me.

I'm going out for a walk with DH soon. Not sure how long a walk it will be. It doesn't matter. I just need to make the effort to walk towards my health.

UPDATE:credit.--> went for a 15min walk. the back hurt, the hip hurt, the leg hurt but I did it anyway. It's a mild sort of pain kind of. Not sharp/more achey.

I'm feeling a bit sad today. It's about my leg hurting now and especially my calf. I'm also feeling cut off from things and stuck and haven't had a chance to start making things or making any money in my new town yet so everything's still like that. Anyway, the food is good today and that's ONE thing I can be happy about... you can bet I am NOT EATING OVER MY Feelings. I am hanging on to the most important thing I did today: staying OP.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-09-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #85  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Today was OP, except that mom called and asked for help cutting a pineapple. I diced it for her and she started eating it off the cutting board and I followed suit. *credit* for giving the rest of my share to DH and leaving 1/2 my portion of black beans because I was just too full. Exercise was hauling stuff at grandmas AND 16 min (4 miles) on the recumbent bike. spontaneous exercise was 2 RTs on the stairs instead of asking DH to do it.

BillBlueEyes, your Mother's Day dinner sounded just wonderful! I wish I was close enough to feel like I could splurge and do that. *credit* for a healthy holiday with your family. Hmm...I'm watching your Celtics, end of the 3rd...we shall see.

GardeningDeb, yay for a great effort not to overdo on Mothers Day. It is super that you have a DIL who will cook special for you. BTW-I believe the 8 essential things are in the green book.

onebyone, credit for cooking from scratch AND not having any of the dinner you fixed for DH. Yay for surprises! Sorry that your walk really hurt but credit for going anyway. You said, "you can bet I am NOT EATING OVER MY Feelings. I am hanging on to the most important thing I did today: staying OP. " That's very powerful!

CeeJay, nice list of credits, especially packing and planning for tomorrows. It's a great Beck inspired habit that I am really trying to work on.

pamatga, *credit* for being "dead on plan" even on a day when your DH gobbled 3 kit kats. Yes, watermelon is such a better choice. Boy, do I agree-"no choice" is not a wimpy exercise. It is what I struggle with most.

Erika(eusebius), I think it is such a positive action to just accept the 5# gain and move on. I'm excited that your piano is very close to home now.

ChefJoona, I love the word "balance". Treats balanced with exercise seem to help create a pleasant holiday. Yay for pants that now fit. You have been working very hard with your exercise and food plan. Any chance of the quinoa salad making it to the recipe thread?? It sounds fantastic!

gardenerjoy, I think that dieting does get easier the closer I stick to my plan. After a few days in my groove after off plan eating I start to wonder why it sometimes seems so hard.

Susan(wife2abadge), thanks for trusting us enough to tell us more about yourself. I don't have a specific reward for each 5# since I've pretty much been maintaining since starting BDS. I'm on a tight budget...but when I occasionally "see" something which really interests me I will buy it rather than living without.

maryann, great using NO CHOICE to counter the helplessness you feel on Mondays. I add cuke to my juice every morning.

CREDIT for posting to my coaches when I REALLY WANTED TO BE WATCHING BASKETBALL….OK 4TH QUARTER, BYE

Last edited by Lexxiss; 05-09-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone

pamatga-many kuddos for being stressed out staying on plan but staying on plan anyway. This is what so many of us struggle with. Cancelling dining out is also to be commended.

BillBlueEyes-this Whole Foods place you go to sounds fantastic. Isn't it wonderful to be watching the birds again? DH has been feeding 4 crows that are hanging out here. Those birds are so smart.

eusebius-glad you are feeling better. Those 5 pounds will go away quickly once you get back on plan.

ChefJoona-so great to fit in pants from 5 years ago. What an achievement.

gardenerjoy-counting on it getting easier too.

wife2abadge-thanks for telling us about your journey. I really like both the pink and the green books. RE: the reward- in the past I have bought new CD's and left them sitting by the scale. When the 5 pounds were gone- I cranked the CD on the way to work.

maryann-nice that you are saying no choice to helplessness. How did the juiced cuke taste?

onebyone-hurray for no seconds, no choice. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Lexxiss-lots of exercise for you yesterday. And good Beck skills leaving food when you are full.

For me- wouldn't you know it- I just get back on track and then go do something very nasty to my shoulder yesterday. Much pain this AM. I managed to get in to see the doc and she sent me for xrays and gave meds and recommended physio. Geesh. But this is not going to be used as an excuse to sabotage myself. NO CHOICE.

Credit today for:

weighing in
eating healthy and on plan
checking in with my coaches
making a plan for tomorrow
reading cards

Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Alone with food.

Despite filling the fridge here with healthy food options, I find it challenging to be in this house all alone -- the house I was born and raised in (same room and everything) for 18 years -- with a pantry full of junk food. Lots of memories from childhood and the teenage years, so I have been calling on my skills of sticking to the plan, no choice, and "I would rather be thin." It's been an endless challenge, much more than being at home in CA. But I have been (mostly) up to it.

I got back on track with writing a food plan down the day before, which has helped. Looking back at my food journal / plans, I realize that I haven't really changed weight for about two months, hovering around the 170-175 range depending on hormones and salt intake. Is this a plateau? I'm wishing I had my Beck books with me.

CREDITS:
* balancing some major indulgence at Mother's Day brunch with a very light rest of the day
* working out today despite tiredness and hunger
* remaining OP today except for two small deviations (which I should have probably planned for)
* checking in here
* no standing eating in kitchen
* spending some brain-time considering how to break into the 160s

NEEDS WORK / CONTINUED ATTENTION:
* standing eating
* sneak eating
* splurge eating
* portion control
* EMOTIONAL eating, in other words

Thanks to all for the supportive comments. Sending strength and energy to all your little parts of the world.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #88  

Good Evening Everyone,
My eyes are saying I can't stay open much longer but I wanted to come by and read posts, say hi. I read my chapter and will go back and read it again tomorrow morning.

I went for a doctor's appointment today and was told the 10 pounds I just gained since X-mas need to be history by the time I come back in a few months. I stopped at a market after the appointment and I swear all my favorites were jumping out as I wheeled through the store. I didn't like some of what the doctor told me so I was feeling a cross between being a bit angry and wanting to feel pity on myself. Those 10 pounds were not easy coming off the first time.

I'm a big potato chip feign and they were on sale. I had to turn and rush down another aisle and the Hershey's chocolate bars were $1.25 for a big one. It was a nightmare but I was very proud that I only ended up with a tomato, a bunch of cucumbers and some bacon for a BLT (I broke up one small piece for my BLT lunch on WW bread). I was really tempted to take some cash but left that at the store too.
Too many drive throughs from there to home to risk having any cash on me.
I made it home and made a healthy lunch somehow so hopefully tomorrow I can stay on track once again.
Hope everyone had a nice day.

GardeningDeb

Last edited by GardeningDeb; 05-09-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #89  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Well, GM and GD all. I am posting and then I am returning to bed.
Gardeningdeb great use of the Beck skills to avoid the land mines we so often see in the grocery store. I think Day 22 or 23 is called Countering Unfairness Syndrome in the pink book. I think it is okay if you jump ahead to read that and then return to the earlier chapters. It might help you deal with how it feels to need to lose weight for health reasons and the anger you feel about wanting to be able to eat some of your favorite foods right now.
Marycontrary-is it possible that you could go to the public library and read one of the Beck books while you are away from your own books? I too have been an emotional/stress/distraction kind of eater. After we dug up our hydragnea to now put on our shaded front porch, I suggested to my DH that we go to McDonald's (I really wanted to go to a frozen yogurt place but he loves McDonald's chocolate shakes and I felt a twinge of guilt that he did all the work of digging up the plant). The minute my nostrils smelled the food I changed my order. However, credit moi, for having 1/3 of a Happy Meal. I forced my DH (which wasn't hard) to eat the remainder. Although it probably is not the healthiest choice for food(a C-food-as in crap?), I satisfied my legit hunger (hadn't eaten in 7-8 hours) with a couple of bites. Still stayed within calorie range.
Chefjoona on wearing something smaller. Worth the wait!
eusebius-have you considered doing Beck's Cognitive Therapy for your depression. There is an excellent book called "Mind Over Mood" that was recommended to both my DH and I by a good friend who is a psychotherapist. We both have been treated with medication in the past and consciously chose to get through our dark spells w/o meds. Not a decision to be done lightly but this is what Dr. Beck's father is famous for: using CT for depressed patients.
onebyone-you're hitting your stride. Great job on your new walking regimen.
Ceejay-hope things get back on even keel for you. I have injured both my shoulders in years past(one from car accident and another from a skiing accident), done stints with PT and they flare up every so often. One step forward, and sometimes, two steps back. SS to hear about this.
BBE- if you enjoy bird watching, you would love the orientation of our front porch to a wooded ravine. I have had the pleasure of several birds loving to come and just sit on our porch. One little guy came often and perched on a grapevine star wreath I had hanging on a stand full of greenery. My greatest joy was having a red cardinal sit on my wooden rocker. I told my DH, they must sense "good vibes" on our residence that they would take such "chances". I am honored there is such a level of trust from these feathered creatures. It is lovely to see Mother Nature alive with spring time activity.

Last night I did Dealing with Discouragement.(Day 23 or 24) I made a separate Response Card entitled "What I am Doing Right Today/How Far I Have Come". It is my own personal twist on "Giving Credit". I have had so much self-doubts from failing over and over when it comes to dieting that I need this added reinforcement. I really felt that it was important that I read and acknowledge daily what I am doing right regarding incorporating my food plan and Beck techniques as well as reminding myself just how far I have come. Here is a sampling from the later:

Since last June 2010, I have lost 10% of my body mass and kept it off; I have lowered my morning fasting blood glucose from 174 mg/dl to 97 mg/dl; I am able to stand longer than 10-15 minutes (in fact, now up to 1 hour on good days) without excrutiating pain; I have maintained a lower blood pressure 106/63 during this past year; I have improved my eye health from a "very worrisome" damage to the retina and optic nerve to a "very healthy" reversal of eye disease and even reverting to eyes of a healthy 40 year old (I'll be 58 in July) that exceeds my eye doctors expectations.

On a strictly vanity level, I look 10-15 years younger than my calendar age. I credit this with all the vitamin C in fresh fruits. Dermatologists are saying we need vitamin C for continual skin renewal. My hair has gotten a lot thicker as well. You are what you eat and my complexion, ability to heal quickly and skin texture are more a testament to what I put in me than what I put on me.

In other words, my overall general health has improved simply by making better food choices consistently over the past year and losing 10% of my body mass; as the experts say.

I thought it was important that as I am reading all of the techniques that I need to use to lose the remainder of this weight that I also acknowledge to myself in black and white just what I have been able to accomplish. Read it and read it often.

Have a good day, all.

Last edited by pamatga; 05-10-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was fun to have a repeat of Mother's Day dinner from left overs as part of staying on plan; CREDIT moi. More papers sorted and trashed or stored.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. Feeling back on track with my dumbbells although not at peak. But talked to a friend there who says he has cycles of what he can do at the gym plausibly related to sleep.

onebyone - Yay for a walk despite the pain. Ouch for the other kind of pain establishing yourself in your new locale.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for feeling your old self again. Kinda getting excited about your piano getting closer to your house.

CeeJay - Ouch for that shoulder - apparently we're the injury thread these days - with Kudos for responding with NO CHOICE for your exercise.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I do think that following the food plan and exercise plan got easier than when I started - but not yet effortless.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Grabbing freshly cut pineapple is so, so easy, LOL. [I wish I didn't know the ending of last nights Celtics game - what a bummer to come so close.]

MaryContrary - I can imagine that the old home would be a challenge - good luck facing that. (Hope you bet on Animal Kingdom in the Kentucky Derby. Did you wear a fine hat to Churchill Downs?)

maryann - Yep, it's fun reading your "new found fascination with all things vegi" - looking forward to hearing how a juiced cuke goes down.

ChefJoona - Yay for being able to celebrate with your STB MIL - a good omen for your future. [Thanks for the quinoa salad recipe - dried blueberries sound like a kick.]

pamatga - Kudos for a fine selection at the buffet.

GardeningDeb - Yay for having a doctor who will urge you to dump the ten pounds. And Kudos for standing down both potato chips and BIG Hersey bars on sale.

Susan (wife2abadge) - Kudos for being alert enough to read Beck's book when it was first published, and persistent enough to get back to it. Being aware of Cognitive Therapy is a great start - Yep, not a lot of "I'm so bad" kinda stuff around here. There's a comparison of Beck's pink and green books by AnneWonders on this 3FC thread.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box

tip: Ask your Diet Buddy
to point out experiences that
are worth preserving in your
Memory Box and to remind you
to read your Memory Cards
periodically.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 39.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-11-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Closed Thread