Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #46  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up made a plan

I have a plan for tomorrow.
I've committed it to someone so I am accountable.
The most important part of this to me is the willingness to
a) make a plan and b) follow it. For the next week this is my only goal.

Thanks coaches for giving me hope.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was OP; CREDIT moi. My evening snack of yellow mango was especially sweet.

Walked (CREDIT moi) to get a haircut despite the threat of rain. It was about the right time instead of my normal way-overdue. It felt good to get trimmed instead of salvaged. I'm working on spontaneous exercise by putting things away immediately instead of stacking them by the stairs for the next time I'm going up anyway.

onebyone - It breaks my heart that you missed the big reception. Kudos for responding with determination to stick to your path with, "Small steps lead to big changes. Consistency and time are all you need."

Erika (eusebius) - Yay for "plan to stay OP today" - every day is a new day.

CeeJay - Terrific condensation of the books, "I know what to do- plan, post, exercise, stay positive, read the cards." Good start with "packed lunch for today and planned dinner."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for your body's rejection of Whole Foods single slice pizza. Kudos for recognizing, "I deserve to feel better than this in the morning" and taking action to get there.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Moving that four poster bed sounds like a lot of exercise. [Renovation plans started as a little refresh on the interior painting, which quickly included repairing some cracked walls and missing insulation, and then escalated to include a new kitchen and bath. So what's so terrible about an avocado green toilet?]

ChefJoona - Kudos for only two jelly beans - I've had none and I've had several fists full, but I've never had two before, LOL. Yay for a new restaurant to exercise making good choices.

pamatga - Congrats on those 4 pounds gone using your "Beck Plus Diet." Sending supportive thoughts to find your way out of your "really weird place." May the new pair of shoes shock your system into a good place.

Kris (grayhenry) - Kudos for persistence in finding yourself a real-life Diet Buddy. And Congrats on that 1.5 pounds gone.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box
As you progress through Stage I and beyond, be on the lookout for these positive experiences:

• When you feel proud of yourself for getting right back on track after making a mistake
  • When you realize you are not worried that others are judging you because of your weight
  • When you are happy about an improvement in your health due to weight loss

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 38.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Grrr! I accidently just lost my post!

On plan eating yesterday... mid week weigh-in shows loss of 1lb since Sunday, but still in the same 2lb range its been since late February.

Continuing to focus on determining hunger and non-hunger and reminding myself- hunger is not an emergency! Even if I do feel hunger I can survive until my next planned meal/ snack!!!!!

Hugs to all struggling... for getting back and staying on track!

Food is packed and planned for today. Planning for a walk/hike tonight and/or tomorrow depending on weather.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #49  
Green Tomatoes

Day 21: Get Ready to Weigh In
Already? I have to say this foray through the Beck book seems to be going more quickly than the other times I've tried. Which is good -- maybe that means I will actually finish it this time. I still think it's funny that the green book advocates daily weigh-ins while this one pushes for weekly. Knowing myself, weekly weigh-ins would be disastrous. I would eat too little prior to weigh-ins and too much after, which would wreck my consistency. I'm better off with daily weigh-ins or no weigh-ins at all. I guess I'll go back to daily now that I feel a little stronger in my skills.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +30* 240/1200 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #50  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Gardenerjoy Here on 3FC there is a daily weigh in in the 100 lbs to lose group. I joined it for 6 weeks. The people over there were very helpful in me going over my food plans to see where I needed some "tweaking". It didn't take long for me to realize that all the eating out in restaurants with the added sodium was stalling my weight lose efforts. It was so frustrating but I do now weigh every day. I still eat out often but my choices are a lot different now from that time period.

I have finished 7 complete days on what I will refer to (from now on) my "Beck Plus Diet". It is the Beck principles/techniques plus my Biggest Loser food plan. I did not exercise this past week. I have lost 6.2 lbs. the first week. I bought my first pair of shoes.

Last night, as I was reading out loud my cards to my DH, I realized that I wanted to "tweak" some of the cards so that is what I did. My ARC now has the first 6 reasons to lose weight are all (not surprisingly) health-related.
I made a card called "House Rules": 3-4 servings fruit/4-6 servings vegetables, 64-80 oz H2O, get to bed before 1 a.m. when possible, if up during the night I will now eat low calorie/low sodium popcorn (I discovered it takes me 1 hour to eat one bag and there are only 240 calories), be on the alert for any food that "triggers" a desire to eat "seconds", remove from "said" food plan until further notice, practice eating (even) slower by choosing foods that take a lot of effort to chew like raw hard vegetables, grapes, apples. Chewing takes longer so my appestat has time to register full and it cuts into "overeating mode" since it takes longer to finish the first serving.

After a week(s) of not knowing when I was going to be able to sleep, for how long, etc. it made it almost impossible to pre-plan my next day's meals and even eat them. Since I have been faithful in logging my food I eat daily for months I decided this is where I will depart from Dr. Beck's recommendation. However, I am going to continue to measure my foods (been doing that a long time) and eat one serving at a time (again if I am eating those foods above then that takes care of a lot of these issues with feeling full, overeating, etc).

"No Choice" means for me only fresh fruit as dessert (this worked well for me in the past and I have now returned to it), no C foods (chocolate, candy, cookies, crackers,cake, etc) until a much later date and time (TBD then) and following my "House Rules" 100%. If faced with a change in meal plans (which I actually handle mentally well), I will always choose a salad, soup, hot beverage or water to have first (depending on choices available), then I will choose my entree. I am also going to bring "chew" foods in plastic bags with me in case the situation doesn't even have the above choices available. Glucose tablets will be with me for emergency situations.

I slept in two shifts but I was able to get through part of the night without "distraction eating" so I actually could have an early breakfast at 6 a.m. with DH before returning to bed for additional zzzzs. If I have a decent weekend, I am going to start doing some of the new work out dvds.

What I have discovered is that the kinds of foods I am surrounded by in my home makes a huge difference in how well I stay on plan. Again, eating healthy removes 99% of the desire for the wrong kinds of foods and the desire to "snack".

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #51  
persist

Arrow Credits For A Friday

Good Afternoon Coaches

I've been 100% on plan and I am 50% through my plan for the day.
CREDIT.

I planned to get out and walk if I felt up to it and I just got back.
I took a 5 minute walk (total minutes) to the newspaper box on the corner by the bus stop. I didn't know I could get a real newspaper, (well sort of real--it's not a great local paper) from that spot too. Next time I'll bring my change to buy one. This time I got the free one. Anyway, point is I took a walk. CREDIT.
The back pain was there, but it's changed. A bit sharp in the lower left back/buttock/hip area and it's also radiating down the left thigh and the calf.
Oh Well. I am up and moving around. Yay. And I haven't taken any pain meds today so I am grateful for that.

I've also committed to drinking my "pooh bear" carafe full of water daily. I did this yesterday. CREDIT. It was left here by the previous tenant. I am fond of it. I don't know how much it holds exactly but if you make a frozen juice it fits it perfectly, however much liquid that is.

I checked in here with my coaches CREDIT and have checked in with my personal diet buddy CREDIT.

I changed my avatar to an image of my artwork taken by a friend at the opening last night. Each of the squares on the sheet of paper are approx. 4" x 4". They are all linoleum block prints--the images were carved using sharp tools into 4" x 4" pieces of linoleum then the blocks were all arranged on three 2' x 2' pieces of masonite. I tacked them down and then my teacher and I laid out the giant 7' x 5' sheet of rice paper over the inked blocks and we gingerly pressed them onto the inked up blocks. The prints were made by pressing the paper against the inky blocks with our hands and then rubbing the paper firmly against the inked block with a wooden spoon.
One by one.
Row by row.
It took 3 hours from start to finish, and then I made one more.
The City did a great job framing it. It would have been IMPOSSIBLE to deal with. It's very fragile. I contacted the man in charge of the artwork for the city to thank him for the nice framing job and to explain my absence and got a great email back. He gave me his personal tips on how to deal with a bad back (ie. he understood my absence. yay.) Then he told me that a man who attends all the city art acquisition shows commented that my work was a "seminal piece" in the City of Ottawa's collection. I am so grateful to have heard this. Apparently I am featured in the catalogue as well! I'll attach a larger image so if you want to see it you can.

I so need to get back to work coaches.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg printcu.jpg (17.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #52  

Default Hi I am new to the web site

A friend of mine told me about the Beck Diet Solution and I just recently purchased the book. I started reading and am going to give it my best to try to get my foods, eating in control and drop all the extra pounds. I have been on a diet forever but never seem to get there. Not sure if I am in the right place but am looking forward to working on the steps in the book.

GardeningDeb
Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Next stop, the KY Derby.

I've been in Louisville, KY, visiting with my family for about a week. It was only supposed to be a week, but faced with my mom's depression, I've added another two weeks on to my stay. That was a hard decision, and I went through some emotional ups and downs making it and accepting being here. One of the main reasons I'm staying is that Mom will be out of town for four days next week, which will be just the sort of dissertation solitude I need.

Credits:

* working out 6 times last week
* working out four times this week, including a lower body strength training session that kicked my butt (literally!)
* filling the fridge here with healthy food options
* making post-it affirmations to stick next to my bed
* searching the house for a scale (no luck yet)
* making a realistic dissertation schedule and goals
* writing in my journal every morning

Needs work:

* portion control
* emotional / thoughtless snacking
* sneak-eating while standing in kitchen
* coming here
* writing down a food plan

I've decided to make my posts here shorter, and completely about food and exercise.

Sending supportive energy to all your parts of the world!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

WELCOME, GardeningDeb!!! No matter what, we're always here.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #55  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

This morning I didn't feel well but I persisted since I was meeting mom for a luncheon with her social group.
Highlights:
~An estactic experience at Whole Foods which included spectacular produce, my new favorite balsamic vinegar and bedding plants everywhere. I looked at the fresh AK king salmon($30/#) and felt blessed to have an ample supply in my freezer. It was early and samples were sparse.
~practicing my skills at lunch; eating 1/2 my lunch and leaving a bite of dessert and all the whipped cream.
~being selective about my food choices this evening while still not feeling good; having a piece of rye toast and a measured bowl of Spec. K.
Exercise was 4 hours of organizing which included BBE's recipe for spontaneous stairclimbing. My RT is 38 stairsx20 at 7800 ft altitude; the same staircase I used to struggle to get up once. *credit* for healthy decisions and awareness of areas where I have room for improvement.

Deb(GardeningDeb), to our Beck thread. I think you are in the right place to work on getting your eating in control and drop the extra pounds.

BillBlueEyes, I tried your spontaneous exercise on my stairs today. Kudos for continually reminding yourself to get that little extra movement in. Thx for explanation...I was having a hard time figuring out how painting turned into moving furniture into storage. What "style" is your home considered? I think the AVO toilet would look just awful in our Victorian….but then we recently took the orange carpet out of the kitchen which was there when my folks bought it in 1973.

ChefJoona, I think it's great that you are continuing to focus on your hunger/non hunger. Keep working on it and it will become more natural.

gardenerjoy, before Beck, my weighing was sporadic and now I step on every day. Re: the book going quicker-you're half way through!

pamatga, I love your "house rules" and no choice listing of the C foods and made note!

onebyone, Kudos for an OP day which included movement! BTW-I was really intrigued with your artwork. I even transferred it to my photo program hoping I could see it in more detail; to no avail.

MaryContrary, thanks for checking in with your coaches. Best wishes as you stay in KY for an extended visit and continue to work on both dissertation and Beck/food skills.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #56  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

gardeningdeb-yup you finally found us! We are so glad to have you join us. This is a great bunch of dieters, some of us, like Marycontrary, are trying to literally work their butts off (yea, Mary). I swear I am that salmon, Lexxiss, you have in your freezer. I am always posting when every one else is sleeping. Can you believe we used to get a huge salmon (head and tail intact) for $5 12 years ago? What has happened to the prices? Now, we try to eat that every Friday but, man, I have to add a lot more "sides" because now one serving is $10 (on a good day). Have you tried cooking it on a cedar plank in the oven? We started doing that and the fish is so moist and really tasty.(PS pre moisten the wood or it will burn-then you might have smoked salmon-unintentionally).

Credit moi:
after announcing here "publicly" I am getting rid of C foods (chocolate, including dark, candies, cookies, chips, crackers, cake) I stumbled upon 6 marshmallows in the back of the cupboard that is designated for baking (which I won't be doing any of for quite some time) and I tossed them in the garbage but under a tray of raw chicken drippings. I knew that I could risk salmonella poisoning if I tried to retrieve them later. How's that for determination? I thought about them later and realized I have put "my hand to the plow" and there is definitely no looking back.

It was a good thing that it was Day 22 and "Oh Well". Oh, boy, is more like it. I was very hungry almost right after eating dinner last night. I made some Thai Jasmine rice which I know is a departure from brown rice but I just love that it tastes like buttered popcorn (the movie variety) but OMG I could have eaten the plate beneath it. White stuff is lethal for me. TG I had made only enough for my alloted portions so I couldn't go back for more. It's long cooking rice too so it would have taken another 25-30 minutes to even cook up some more. I am taking that under advisement as this point. This will probably have to go on my list of "trigger" foods, which keeps growing, and join those marshmallows.

I kept drinking non-caloric liquids all night trying to stay "full" and kept myself busy with doing my Beck reading. The timing of this day was perfect. I think between "No Choice" and "Oh well" both are so crucial for successful weight lose and then maintenance. You draw the line and then as much as you want to cross it, you say "No Choice" then beat down the sabotaging thoughts with a good dose of "Oh Wells". I see a "War of the Roses" in my near future.

When I think of how many times I have gone on a diet, gone off a diet, over and over again, I know I've lost the same 30-50 lbs in the past 4 years. Time to rid myself of the "Evil Monkey" in my closet. I'm on my diet until I am a normal weight. You heard it first, fellow Beckies. No C foods and No Feeling Sorry for Myself. Quitting is for quitters.

I have to do "Oh Wells" in other areas of my life and I have more or less to get through some very tough times like what you are facing Marycontrary, with your Mom. I had to deal with family members as Mom was dying back in 2008. It was a tough time but we can get through these times. My heart is with you during this difficult time.

Great Onebyone that you are really getting into the swing of things.
Lexxiss you are my secret (not any more) hero. I doubt whether that stair exercise will hold you down for long. You were meant to climb and reach higher and higher.

Slept better. Thank you all for your love and concern. It is felt. I have to apply "Oh Well" to the fact that I can't get my much-needed surgery because I don't have health insurance. DH and I are praying he gets rehired or I win the lottery so I can have those surgeries done this summer. I am willing to storm Heaven to get this prayer request answered.

GL BBE with the renovation. My ex and I renovated an 1880 Queen Anne in the early 90s. I have lots of stories but suffice to say watch "Money Pit"(it's an old movie but if you can find it-you'll get what I am saying). Let's hope your "stories" will be good ones. I decided to do a historical restoration instead of a modern day renovation and all I can is "Oh, MY!

Have a blessed day all!

Last edited by pamatga; 05-07-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #57  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome GardeningDeb

GardeningDeb

And, on the occasion of your first post,
Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was OP or less, CREDIT moi. I got reminded why my stable-sized DW is able to eat a serving of nuts every day as her afternoon snack as well as larger portions at dinner than I have - she's a gardener and when the sun is out occasionally skips lunch because she just doesn't think about it. How can one not think about lunch? Talk about a mixed marriage. Oh, Well. My de-cluttering was to take on the stack of stuff around the stereo components as well as to remove all the extra wiring. Dark corners hide sins of many years. I found old motivational cassettes sent by enthusiastic relatives from decades ago. Good Will will be so happy.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. I could feel it in my bones before I left home that I wouldn't be able to do as well with the weights - and I wasn't. Maybe the muscles needed a rest or maybe the neurons were sabotaging. Oh, well.

onebyone - Congrats for contacting the man in charge of the city's art work - you've got good business/networking instincts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I'm with you on the daily weigh-in's. I need to see enough numbers to be able to ignore the fluctuations. I'd hate to live an entire week with a 3 pound sodium hit after a restaurant meal.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Balsamic vinegar is just the best stuff ever - I've never tried the Whole Foods version, I'll have to do that. Kudos for a lot of steps - at altitude no less!! Just think how well your lungs will perform when you come down to sea level. [Our house is a mansard roof Victorian. And yes, the avocado green toilet clashes, LOL.]

MaryContrary - Congrats for making that hard decision to stay a few extra weeks. It's neat that your dissertation followed you there so you can work in the calm.

ChefJoona - Oh Yes, "Even if I do feel hunger I can survive until my next planned meal/ snack!!!!!" Hope the weather holds up for your walk.

pamatga - Good reminder for us all here, "the kinds of foods I am surrounded by in my home makes a huge difference in how well I stay on plan." Yay for, "I am getting rid of C foods (chocolate, including dark, candies, cookies, chips, crackers, cake)." [Ouch for the reminder that a renovation is a money pit.]

GardeningDeb - Yep, you're in the right place for starting out on the Beck steps. Jump right in - there are no rules or required formats to post. Don't try to do personals right away, you'll know when that seems like a good idea, and even then, I suggest you start out with only one or two. Personal responses seems intimidating at first.

Are you doing the pink book or the green book? Good plan, "try to get my foods, eating in control" - your body will do its part by taking care of the weight. Glad you found us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box
As you progress through Stage I and beyond, be on the lookout for these positive experiences:
  • When you notice how much easier it is to perform a physical task
  • When you stay in control of your eating at a restaurant or social event
  • When you get on the scale and see a number you haven't seen in a long time

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 39.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #59  
persist

Talking Good Morning. Good Morning.

Good Morning Coaches

It's a bright, sunny Saturday out there. Coolish but it's not even 8am so I am sure the air will warm up a bit before the sun sets. DH and I have a nice day planned. We're checking out the local farmers' markets to see what they are like. I am going there wondering if there is a local market that would be good for me to sell my artwork at. So many mega-houses here which means there are many mega-walls that need something to brighten them up.

Of course, going to the market means a minefield of goodies. I have already committed my day's food to my personal diet coach credit and have decided to allow myself today ONE treat only from a market, eaten at the market or in the car, but not allowed to bring any MORE into the house. No treats in the house. I can't deal with that. I will encourage myself to purchase good protein, veggies, bread and maybe even salad dressing, in anticiation of salads this coming week (!).

Yesterday I followed my foodplan credit and I drank my Pooh Bear carafe full of water credit and I did my planned exercise credit. I took my first real step AWAY from this sore back and leg and feeling miserable and lost toward clarity and hope and joy again. credit

I also woke up happy. Just following a plan can make me happy. Yay for that.

Exercise today will be walking at the markets and the art store and the comic book shops.

BTW if you or those around you are interested in comics, today is FREE COMIC BOOK DAY. It's a worldwide event and yes, comic book shops are giving away free comic books to help hook new readers and to bring back readers who have left comics. Here's a link about that will help you find the comic book shop near you.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning,

Yesterday I had a real sucess... at the end of the day several co-workers invited me to join them for a walk to Ben and Jerry's for a cone and I was able to refuse! It felt amazing to be able to say no and feel really postive about the decision- not resentful or cheated.

I enjoyed a planned dinner out to celebrate a friend who is graduating from the same Master's program I did. I met her when she was just a prospective student interviewing for the program and now she's completed it! I mindfully indulged.

Today DF and I will go for a walk and the sun is shining! We thought we would be getting another rainy day.

Tonight is a Mother's Day celebration. DF's parents will be coming up to my parent's house and my sister's in-laws will join us. We're having grilled chicken and salad and I am bringing a quinoa salad so I know I will be able to make a healthy meal out of it.

onebyone Enjoy the farmer's markets! I am excited for my town's to start soon.

Billbe Right there with you... I am mistified by people who forget/ don't think about eating! Perhaps they are just more aware of the real hunger vs. nonhunger.
Pamatga Great move with the marshmallows! I took some motivation from that and just threw out some angel food cake I had leftover from a work celebration earlier this week. Congrats on the loss and the celebratory shoes!
Lexxiss Yay for an "estactic experience at Whole Foods"! Healthy food can bring us more joy than unhealthy food!
MaryContrary Lots of credits! Hugs for you as you care for your mom and yourself.
gardnerjoy I started off with weekly weigh-ins, then moved to twice a week, and I'm now thinking of daily weigh-ins. I think it will hold me more accountable.
Welcome GardeningDeb!!! I look forward to getting to know you!

Heading out to spend time with my sister and niece!!
Closed Thread