Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made my brown-bag lunch from leftovers noting that I only needed to use half of each item if I put the white beans over broccoli slaw for volume. Made a dandy lunch and I have the other halves for today. CREDIT moi for slowly becoming aware that I don't need as much food as my eyeballs would choose.

The city picked up the two large computer monitors that I put out for their recycling program. That finishes the de-cluttering of obsolete desktop computers - on to laptops. To my surprise, I've found just one - thought there were more - but DW reminded me that I'd loaned out two so they aren't a problem until returned. CREDIT moi for slowly continuing instead of beating myself up for having kept the stuff for so long. Part of the volume and the uncertainty is that I'm the repository of the discards from both adult kids since I can't stand for anybody to part with a computer.

Gym was gym, CREDIT moi.

CeeJay - Yep, moving forward with planned and packed lunch; Kudos. Ouch for a cookie attack. Reminds me, isn't Girl Scout cookie time approaching?

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good grief; I read you weather prediction with the thought "glad it's not me." Then finally read my own weather prediction; we get it next. Hope you avoid the ice part.

Shepherdess - I hate the frustration of tasks that take too long and can't get finished. Kudos for accepting that instead of eating to relieve frustration.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for the improving back.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - It's a good thing you measure temperature in Centigrade because 40C would have been 104 degrees Fahrenheit which is really, really hot. Kudos for "I had a plan and stuck to it" - that's the formula.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - That is so funny to have a bag of chips explode at 10,783 feet. Just thinking of the consternation if that happened on an airplane.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yay for so much walking in Disney World.

Nature Girl - Ouch for a body in protest; Kudos for posting anyway.

MaryContrary - Witnessing the birth of a Gray Whale is just awesome. Sounds like a good plan to "not have even ONE cheeto" - those little guys are addictive.

maryann - Beautiful clarity, "One Day at a Time OP." That should do it.

ChefJoona - De-cluttering old cooking magazines deserves a Kudos - those are so seductive. And another Kudos for thoughtfully adjusting your plan for your evening snack. Yep, scales don't coincide with op-plan days in the short run; but your body knows.

Carol (carols2) - Kudos for shopping for the foods for a successful week; the ultimate meal planning includes the supermarket.

Ruby (RubyJan) - LOL at "two more hours of work to get done before I can start reading" because I was so excited when I first discovered Beck that I kept a library copy at the office to read during lunch.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
Beginning a New Way of Life

You Will Change Your Mindset
By the time you finish the Beck Diet for Life Program, you will notice how different the "new" you is from the "old" you.

. . .
The old you thought: There are "good" foods and "bad" foods. I should never have a bad food.
The new you thinks: I can eat a favorite food, in a reasonable portion, as often as once a day.

. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 18.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Happy February!

Just a quick post, as my morning is flying by and I must get ready for work.

Yesterday was on-plan. I did some reading in the Pink Book which led to a new burst of motivation! I made a NO CHOICE to night time snacking card, and posted it on the cupboard as I walk into the kitchen. It is bright orange and I can't miss it!

Credit for getting out for a half hour walk too!

Snow is arriving for us tomorrow...

Naturegirl Well wishes for a speedy recovery!

Here's to a new month!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #4  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning everyone,
We are going to get a big storm here starting tonight. I can't believe all the warnings they have for it.
I was OP with my eating. I felt like mindlessly eating last night so I went to bed so I couldn't, I think when I am tired I feel like eating even though I am not hungry. I avoided that one last night by going to sleep.
I hope everyone has a great day.
I have been reading on here and have spent more time that I had planned.
Take Care
Ann
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

The first of the month is the day I change my ticker and, today, there is no change. That's only the second time since I began this journey that I haven't moved the ticker down on the first of the month. Last time, I used it as a motivator to change everything. This time, since I pretty much need to accept that weight loss is going to be slower now, I think I'm going to be a bit more subtle.

I'm going to commit to two days a week of strength training because I've been doing less than that lately.

I'm going to incorporate more foods from the list of 40 heart-healthy foods in the book WomenHeart’s All Heart Family Cookbook. I'm drinking a cup of tea, right now!

I'm going to read The Way to Eat by David L. Katz and The Eating Well Diet by Dr. Jean Harvey-Berino and consider whether something from either of those books might be the foundation for a more drastic change if February doesn't produce better results than January did.

We are getting sleet more than freezing rain. The power company seems less worried about sleet, so I'm feeling a bit less stressed. We're under a blizzard warning for this afternoon and evening. Apparently, a blizzard has a precise definition based on snowfall and wind. The biggest snowfall St. Louis has ever seen (1982 when I was in college) was not a blizzard because it wasn't windy. I don't recall every being in a blizzard. Should be interesting.

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +40* 1305/1300 minutes for January, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/253.4/160

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone and thank you for the warm welcome. I will figure out how to keep up with these threads one day; they are so fast moving. I would love to know how you are able to keep up with individual responses. I get the daily email digest, so I am probably going to be a bit behind.

I originally came to 3 fat chicks looking for information on another diet, and then I found the Beck thread. I had never heard of it, so I read quite a bit and did some internet research. I popped in on the beck diet institute website, and that was how I found out about the workshop with Dr. Beck. I am not far from Philly, so I jumped at the chance to attend. It was really interesting. There was a great mix of people: dieters, nutritionists, therapists, doctors, you name it. Dr. Beck did some roleplaying with members of the audience and it was fascinating to watch.

As I mentioned before, I am working on improving my self-esteem and being gentle with myself before I jump into the major diet changes. I love the structure of it all, I just hope I can keep up with it. A major problem of mine in the past has been to give up on dieting at the slightest imperfection. I tend to hold myself to very high standards and then let it all go at the first mistake. I need to work really hard to keep at it even if I'm not perfect.

Are there any other moms with small children on here? I would be very interested to hear how you have managed to change your family's meals.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Andrea
Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Looks like another exciting day. I woke up this AM to 30 below and frozen pipes. Luckily the pipes are an easy fix, but we’ve been having truck problems on top of that. We thought we had the winterizing figured out, but the heater in the well-house went out sometime yesterday. We just need to hold on a little longer since it will be up in the 30s by Thursday.

Yesterday was not a complete waste. I had another Dr. appointment and got to hear the baby’s heart beat again. It’s always fun and a relief to hear that everything is OK for both of us. Stayed on my food plan, despite having everything up in the air. It was too cold for outdoor exercise, but did my weights inside.

Welcome Masondixonmama! It’s great that you got to attend Beck’s workshop. It sounds like you came back with a start to the weight loss journey. It does seem a bit overwhelming at first, but you can work on this a little bit at a time.

Gardenerjoy, I hope that you’re surviving the storm.

Waving to everyone else!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends, coaches... I am happy to say that yesterday was another on plan day. I am grateful & for the willingness to try.
I had many credits:

planned/logged/measured food
no second helpings
left a bite
read arc/rc
did exercises and rec. bike
lots of water
journalled
kept track of my sodium
more aware of taste
more aware of timing

I had a couple of times of wanting more after a meal. Salty after sweet. Sweet after savory. Many times - I shouted back to those thoughts and used some distractions to refrain. One time I had a nibble of a candy cane. I figured - it's not that wonderful in the long run.

I made some healthy soups for this week - mushroom and asparagus. Need lots of veggies!

We are having a major ice storm. Freezing rain, sleet, rain, snow etc. Many places are having blizzards. I don't like blizzards! More of the same weather is coming tomorrow. We have power now, I am grateful, as some folks near by do not have power. The trees etc, all incased in ice, are so beautiful. I don't know of many artists, except maybe a photographer, who haved captured the beauty of an icestorm. I googled it on 'images' and found a couple of pretty paintings. Onebyone - have you seen such a painting? Round two of the ice storm is tomorrow. DH is home and working in his home office. He'll be home tomorrow too.

I hope all and any folks being bombarded with the severe winter weather throughout North America are safe and well.

Seadwaters - I see the awful flooding in Australia and am hoping for the best results during and afterwards.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-01-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

It's only 15 below here with no snow...internet was non functioning this afternoon. We dealt with one of mom's renters who had frozen pipes and no heat this morning. My schedule got all whacked up and my eating reflected it. I got back on track and am anticipating a healthy OP dinner. Exercise was dealing with winter problems...I did do jumping jacks while waiting for the pups outside.

Take care everyone, especially NatureGirl with all your discomfort, and Cheryl(seadwaters) with your heatwave and risk of fire.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #10  
Carol

Beverlyjoy - I must say your success with consistently having OP days is encouraging me to stay on plan. I am finding strength from your strength. Thanks.

Lexxiss – Isn’t it strange how easy we can let other things in our life affect what we eat? I guess its called stress eating. Kudos for the jumping jacks.

Shepherdess – I did not realize you have a “Bun in the Oven” Congratulations!

Masondixonmama – One thing I have to constantly remember is, just because I stumble, that does not mean I have stumbled for the entire day, or the entire week. If I eat off plan at 3:00, it’s ok. I’ll just continue on plan the remainder of the day. Even if I have to tell myself that three or four times a day. I have to remind myself the most important goal is not to give up. I may get frustrated, but I will not give up.

BillBlueEyes – The eyeballs do play tricks on us. I keep trying to remember that my eyes are much bigger than my stomach. I find myself wasting a lot of food because of my eyeballs.

ChefJonna – I like the choice you made. A ”NO CHOICE to night time snacking card”. I am going to go make one also. Mine goes on the refrigerator handle. I have no snack foods in the food pantry. Everything in there has to be cooked. I do have my 4 carbohydrate yogurt I planned on eating. It is an “OP” item.

Give myself credit for:
Biking for 75 minutes
Eating on Plan
Reading Response cards
Reading Advantages of Dieting
Posting on this site
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #11  

Red face today

credits
healthy breakfast
walked about 15 minutes
ate sitting down
on time
two fruits
Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Today was a better day. I still hurt and I'm worried about how this will heal, but I took the time this morning (I seem to have less pain after 10+ hours of sleep!) and made a food plan with soft, easy on the stomach foods for the day. Amazingly, as of 8 pm this evening, I'm OP! It feels good to have something go ok for a change. Hopefully the appointment tomorrow will also go well. I'm making another food plan and unless they actually pull another tooth tomorrow, I am adding a relaxed, short walk to the day also so I feel like I can eventually get back on track with exercise also.
One step at a time!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I’ve been bunkered in because of the ice storm. My poor husband has been stuck in Denver (flights are already cancelled for 2/2/11 as well). At least we have friends there he can stay with.

I went to my mom and step-dad’s this weekend to celebrate my step-dad’s 60th birthday. It sent me way of track with my eating and have overeaten at several meals since then. Add to that I went to a health assessment screening Monday and my HDL was below detectable limits by this instrument. (Total cholesterol, BP, and BG were all healthy.) So I’m kind of scratching my head about that and have been resistant to think about planning and eating healthy today. I've been debating changing my diet plan or whether I need to step up my commitment to Superfoods Rx. I did spend lots of time on visualizing healthy habits today, so we’ll see if that helps. I started with my new trainer Monday. I really like her and she is really on top of things.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +.5 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: no
Read Response Cards at least two times: no
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: no
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: yes
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: no
Tracked today’s food: no
Left food on my plate: no
Ate only to normal fullness: no
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: yes

BeverlyJoy, hope your back is feeling better! I hope your tattoo of “Food does not take away physical pain” was not too painful. I loved reading your wedding story! What a time! Congratulations on your anniversary. I’m sure planning your diet with so many restrictions is frustrating! Keep at it though. I know you’ll soon have an arsenal full of go to meals in your recipe box. Great job for being on plan and setting yourself up for success on your vacation. Keep warm in this storm!

BillBlueEyes, your broccoli slaw and dal sounded wonderful. I will have to keep that in mind for a rice substitute. Do you eat them both hot? I’m really glad your back is better and you were able to safely shovel. The revised dinner plan on Saturday sounds great.
Quote:
Sometimes on-plan eating at home seems like elegance beyond what anyone deserves.
I loved this sentiment and will use it when I’m tempted to order out rather than cook because I’m too tired. How cool that Dr. Beck reads this forum occasionally! That is surely largely to do with you, so thank you for your consistency and effort. The application of Beck to decluttering is very wise.

Carols2, sending you strength as you deal with the scale issues. I hope your transition to longer working hours is going better for you. Sorry PT was so exhausting for you and about the pain medication. Are you feeling better? Great job for the long exercise bike time yesterday.

CeeJay, hope you are doing better and able to get caught up on some work. Sorry to hear about the Timbits. I always “allow” myself to make excuses when I’m driving and end up with junk foods and syrup sweetened coffee to “keep me alert”. Truly, I’m just using that as an excuse and I need to develop different habits for long car trips. Thanks for helping me see that in myself. Great job for being on plan on Sunday and saying “Oh well” after the cookies.

ChefJoona, good strategy with your DP’s salty snacks and sweets. I hope Saturday’s weigh in was rewarding. Your black bean soup sounds lovely! I know it is a challenge to cook when your other half isn’t helping or participating in what you are making. Stick with it!

eiscicle, welcome to 3FC and to the Beck group. This is a wonderful group of supportive people. Forget the battles of your past, retain the lessons learned, and let’s move forward together!

GardenerJoy, sorry about the disappointing scale value. I loved your response to the fried food. That is really remarkable! What wine and cheese shop do you like in St. Louis? I’m always keeping my eye out for gifts for my mother- and step-father-in-laws. Hope you faired OK in the storm. Hugs to you because of not being able to move your ticker.

Lexxiss, great job talking DH out of Taco Bell. Glad to hear the yogurt was good! I love that you could do it without electricity. I hope the hot springs are wonderful! I am really excited to hear about your NO CHOICE at KFC. That is fantastic. Your exploding chips were hilarious. Your plan for getting back on track was terrific and hope it was really successful for you.

Madrikh, good to read your check in.

Maryann, loved hearing about your 4th on plan day in a row. That is terrific! And now, I read about day 5! So impressive. Great strategies for the end of day treat helping you stay on plan. I’m excited to hear about your OAMC. It is really tough to plan, shop, and prepare all of that while staying on a diet plan. Credit to you!

MaryContrary, sending good thoughts for continuing productivity on your writing. And recognizing the ill effects of caffeine and salt is terrific. Your story of witnessing a whale being born took my breath away. I cannot even begin to imagine how it felt to be there. Any chance you took pictures? Your weekly plan sounds ambitious! Good luck.

masondixonmama, welcome to the Beck group. I look forward to reading your future posts. How did you like the Beck workshop? I really appreciated the changes for life sentiment too and thank you for posting that.

Naturegirl, sorry to hear about your tooth, but glad you got it out. I am sending massive doses of virtual chicken or vegetable soup (your preference) with a humidifier and lots of fluids.

Newlifestyle, welcome home. I loved your sentiments about book inscriptions and find that whenever I read one addressed to someone else, I feel a bit like I’m reading something I’m not supposed to and makes me wonder what the original owner was like.

Onebyone, hope the packing is going well. Great job on the home cooking and sorry to hear about the candy.

Rubyjan, hi and welcome to the group. This is a wonderfully supportive place! Glad to hear your books are on the way and you’ve got exercise already in your life. I love that you were taking lessons for swimming. Here every time I’ve looked for swimming lessons, all I’ve found are lessons for children – as if adults can’t develop their skills too!

Seadwaters, feel free to “whine” about the heat. It sounds luxurious to me right now. I’m glad your anti-inflammatory medication is working. What do you mean by “trying to write a subject for the semester”? Sending your cool weather wishes. Your weather situation doesn’t sound much less serious to me. I think heat that hot is pretty dangerous too.

Shepherdess, good recovery from Friday. Any news on the job interview? I’m glad Saturday was on plan enough for you and you were able to make the best of yesterday. Good luck with the winter weather woes!

Vibrantheart , welcome to 3FC and welcome to the Beck group! This is a wonderful group of people and I’m sure you’ll feel supported and welcomed here. Nice lists of credits you have there!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Post Night posting.

Hello, my Forum.

I usually do my posting in the morning, right before getting down to research and writing, but today has been an off sort of day. I'm beginning to see the benefit of working at home. It means I actually get some work done on days that are "off."

Still running on the high of a great weekend, and really feeling a burst of productivity. I have put a lot of pressure on myself to get stuff done this semester, probably because I'll have to go back to teaching in the fall. The pressure, right now, is extremely useful. And working out and watching my eating is helping to keep me from swinging to feeling overwhelmed. Love to see how these things balance themselves out.

Credits: re-arranging my day to accomodate an intense workout AND some studying; staying OP; visiting here; resisting cheetos and random eating in the kitchen (so hard when I grate cheese, but I did it!)

maryann, that's a great suggestion. I've been doing some mental "stapling," and I made sure that none of the cheetos made it into our room. Also, I think some goals should be celebrated! You're doing wonderful things.

Nature Girl, many powerful thoughts toward your recovery!

Lexxiss, loved the story about the exploding chips! You are always on inspiration for getting back on track.

carols2, thanks for cheering me on as I enter the 170s! As many of the long-time coaches tell us, don't feel guilty about posting! Just get back on track. I think I disappeared for about a month, and every one just welcomed me back. This is the one place in the world where you will NOT be judged. Peace.

seadwaters, hope you are safe and sound.

chefjoona, you remind me to crack open these books, I love the inspirations and epiphanies that follow! Also, I'm adoring your idea of the post-it note. Good luck!

gardenerjoy, you have a very healthy perspective on a slow-moving ticker. I've been struggling with the feeling that I might have plateaued when, in reality, I think my weight loss has just slowed down from the first four months.

masondixonmama, one of the best things about Beck, for me, has been that it has demanded I first address my self-esteem and perfectionist issues. The Get Back on Track response has been a really big help to me in dealing with these nagging voices. I also have a Response Card that reads "It is not the end of the world. You have not Screwed It All Up -- get back on track!" It has become a mantra for me.

shepherdess, a belated congrats on the baby! Somehow I missed this wonderful news.

beverlyjoy, that's a great list of credits! Stay safe in the weather.

FutureFitChick, alas no pictures. I wanted to be in the moment, and was also afraid of dropping the Iphone when startled by a swell. I hope you and DH are safe during this storm (even if apart). I admire your list of Essentials, btw! Sounds like you're getting yourself on the right track!

Sending positive energy to all of you!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Hi everyone. Well, I am awash in Beck Books. Got a bit overwhlemed, but have decided to use the Original PINK book with the BIG PINK workbook, and then turn to the diet for life when I need something extra to read (like a piece of advice ready and waiting in case of emergency. I am on day three of the workbook, and have picked my diets -- weight watchers and for my back up, the Beck Diet for Life. I came out in sweats fussing about what to choose, but now feel quite excited. I have my advantages card all nicely written on a card and I taped the first 'response card' -- do it anyway --on the back of it -- am starting to feel more decisively pleased with my doing this -- can't wait to get some credits.
I want to start addressing your messages soon, but feel I should prove my seaworthiness first by actually starting the weight watchers diet! I am going to a meeting on Friday. Is there a protocol that we don't talk much about the diet we are on? I know there are other forums for specific diets, so that's okay with me, but just wondered.
So toe in the water, and hoping that you each and all over on the North American Continent are sleeping peacefully before the major storms -- I wonder when the UK is going to get its share of weather horror -- and that you dress up warm when you get up. RubyJan
Closed Thread