Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome T Hotty

T Hotty

And, on the occasion of your first post on 3 Fat Chicks,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this forum on the 3FC site?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #107  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating OP, CREDIT moi, is much easier when there's no party or buffet. I hope that I never tire of peanut butter, banana, and toasted pecans on toasted whole wheat sandwich bread ends.

Walked to Trader Joe's to get some California Golden Raisins, CREDIT moi. I took off when the temperature hit 50 degrees Fahrenheit - just WOW for mid December - walking without gloves! I'm reading about the huge storm in the Midwest, shuddering at the thought that it will drift to the East Coast. Picked up some stocking stuffers; my family loves TJ's roasted red pepper soup. There were zillions of choices of candied this and chocolate covered that. I used to buy all that stuff, but just don't do it anymore. I don't need it and my family doesn't need it either. And finally did some Christmas shopping. CREDIT moi for getting started, however late.

maryblu - Ouch for no Viking football today because the NY Giants are stuck in Kansas City - sounds like an awful storm; hope you're surviving. Sounds like a YouTube worthy video of you dancing to loud blues working a jig saw puzzle.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a quiet day at home - without needing to shovel your way out.

Shepherdess - LOL at "I was sure that I was going to die of starvation" with Kudos for dodging the chips.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Shuddering at the thought of chest high snow in Stockholm as well as New Zealand bush fires. Kudos for getting some shopping done so you can plan your meals.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Ahhh Yes, "could have been better….could have been worse" - the place we all live our lives; Kudos for accepting that so you can enjoy it and have a sane head for making wise choices. LOL at your restaurant story, remembering that I still have to learn to leave food at restaurants to avoid your DH's heartburn part.

Nature Girl - Just loving your skiing tale. Yep, food is sooooo good after a vigorous adventure. Ouch for that long drive home - glad you made it.

Marci (madrikh) - LOL at "dinner on my DH's plan" with Kudos for good choices at the restaurant.

Don't sweat personals; it's actually useful to have a few posters who aren't doing personals to make the forum feel more inviting to new posters. The major thing is to post and be accountable.

maryann - Kudos for your ability to appreciate your DH and DS. [In awe that you've sung the Messiah - what a joy. Do you currently sing in a group?]

T Hotty - Yep, it does seem a bit overwhelming at first. But you got a great approach, "just going to work on the steps a little bit each day." Kudos for a robust start by planning to get all your supplies get yourself organized. There isn't a rush - the Beck strategies seem to work best as they seep into your normal daily life.

Is there a story that goes with your avatar picture?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11
When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

But I Want to be Thinner!

You can do a number of things if you're unhappy with your Lowest Maintainable Weight.
. . .
Change your comparison. If you compare yourself with people who weigh less than you or if you compare yourself to what you wish you weighed, you'll always be unhappy. Change the comparison. Contrast how you look today with how you looked when you first started this program.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 276.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-12-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - the past two days have been on plan. I am very grateful for that. I did a few of my Beck tasks - but, not very consistently. I had many twirl worthy moments - am glad to for that. Credits for:

Planning
Keeping tack
Lots of water
Stretches and strengthening
Meditation
Leave a bite
Slower eating

I roasted more veggies. It’s such a good way to get those healthy veggies - carrots, parsnips, green beans, egg plant, & brussel sprouts. Today I’ll get some asparagus and mushrooms to roast. I might try beets.

Our dinner to the Chinese Restaurant was cancelled because my friend has the stomach flu. I can totally relate. DH & I got some take out. I tried a tofu, veggies and light broth soup. It was delicious. It’s nice to find another healthy thing at the Chinese restaurant.

A dilemma - I usually bake DH's moms Christmas raisin nut bread. I don't feel like baking. He makes her cookies... so he knows how to bake. This recipe bakes 4 at a time and it always seems that one is done before the others... kind of a pain. I'll see if I can handle it later. The whole family is eager for their loaf. Ugh.

BTW - DH had been away on business, got home and announced that "He didn't bring any cookies or candy into the house." (as per my request) Yay, Dh. Yesterday, he got some white and red peppermints. He reminded that I really don't like those - he's right about that.

Billbe - credit for passing up the sweets for your family at TJ’s. Glad you got to enjoy a nice day for a walk - no glove too.

Thotty - WELCOME!! So glad you found this forum. Yes, all the Beck ‘tasks’ can seem a bit overwhelming. Take as slow or fast as you like. It is so helpful for learning to live healthfully with food.

Nature girl - many credits for staying op and LOTS of skiing exercise. Sounds like a wonderful getaway!

Seadwaters - credit for getting things to be ready to eating healthfully on your plan. I totally agree - it takes a lot of planning to get through the holidays. I am going to be away from home (my food comfort zone) for Christmas too. Try to include some healthy side dishes if you can.

Marci - as for feeling guilty for not doing personals - we can only do it as time/circumstance allow. However, sometimes I feel that way too - but, we shouldn’t. Credit for those healthy choices at the impromptu dinner out.

Maryann - so nice you have fun and interesting family to hang with. Credit for rereading the Beck exercise portion!

Gardener-joy - sorry the rain caused your change of plans. Nice to have a quiet day sometimes, too.

Maryblu - reflecting on the past and our former fatter selves is a hard thing. Dr. Beck always says that we can’t change any of that and just work on getting healthy and a good weight. It’s hard not to think of those times when we were overweight. Look how far you’ve come…Credit!!

Shepardess - moving furniture is certainly using muscles. Credit for staying out of the chips!! Sorry about the funeral - a sad part of life, indeed.

Lexxiss/Debbie - sorry your DH had such horrible heartburn, etc. Credit to you that you ate healthfully and in a sane manner. Hope the concert was good.

Onebyone - so glad Dh is home. I LOVE that DH said : "Too bad. You're adorable. They'll love you." - as you started to worry about your weight around new people. Often, we worry more about our weight than others are really judging us on meeting us. I don’t overeat in public either.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-12-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #109  
Green Tomatoes

We got a call last night that our young friend Brian (age 20) was finally getting his new kidney. The update this morning is that the surgery went well. He had some problem with stomach sickness, which is very painful with a brand new incision across the belly, but they got some medicine in him that helped ward that off. Best news: the new kidney is already starting to function!

Fortunately, they made the two hour trip to the hospital yesterday afternoon because we got snow overnight. We were going to drive over today, but we're putting it off a day or so. Today's exercise will be shoveling snow -- or maybe sweeping it, this is light and fluffy stuff but there are several inches of it.

WI: -0.95kg (new low), Exercise: +0 415/1500 minutes for December, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome THotty!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 196/195/191

Height: 5'8"

Good morning! Thanks for the warm welcome!

I tend to overeat for emotional reasons (stress, boredom, etc) so have read lots of books that are more about the mind than a specific eating plan. I read one of her books years ago, but just thought it sounded like too much work. For whatever reason, it sounds good now!

I found your thread by googling Beck Diet forum, just looking for other folks that are doing this.

My picture is from a backpacking trip I went on a couple weeks ago. My first time backpacking in the snow. It was umm... cold. hehe I'm pretty obsessed with hiking and backpacking.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

We had dinner at one of the swankest places in town, the Petroleum Club, a throwback to the old oil boom days. It’s the second time this week we’ve been there, so we’re feeling a bit spoiled. I ate pretty well, though I should have left more dessert on my plate than I did. Oh well, I’ll still take credit for not eating the whole thing.

A third day in a row with no exercise. I ran into a friend when I was getting some books signed for nieces and nephews Christmas presents. We decided to have coffee (I stuck with tea). I definitely notice a change in my outlook on life and my sleeping isn’t as good as it is when I’m exercising regularly. So today it’s going to happen!

Maryblu, I was thinking about you when I heard the weather report yesterday. Looks like you have some serious shoveling to do. It’s great exercise, but not as much fun as dancing. 3 out of 4 isn’t perfect, but still pretty good. Interesting thoughts on how being heavy made you work harder. Now you have the best of both worlds: you’re good and you look good.

Gardenerjoy, yay for quiet rain days. Always a good time to get things done. Looks like you’re doing a good job of catching up on your exercise. It’s great that your friend got a new kidney and despite a few problems, is getting better. It’s tough when someone so young has such difficult health condition.

Maryann, yay for a DH and DS who are great conversationalists. I love the racing car metaphore. It’s great that you’re feeling rested and spending some time refreshing on Beck.

Madrikh, don’t feel bad for not doing personals. It’s more important that you check in and I get something out of everyone’s posts whether or not they have the time to do personals. Great job making smart choices when dinner plans suddenly changed. Yay for so much yoga. It’s a great way to break through a plateau.

Seadwaters, great job getting your shopping done so you are stocked up and ready to for your week. LOL at sweating out your Christmases. When my brother lived in Australia, he used to joke about the Santas in their heavy suits sweating it out just to be festive.

Nature girl, your ski trip sounds wonderful and it’s great that your exercise left you in great shape so you could enjoy it. Was that around Whistler/Blackcomb(sp?)? I’ve done some great snowboarding up there. Yikes for the driving hazards, but glad you made it home safe.

Welcome T Hottie! It’s great that you’re going to tackle Beck just a little bit at a time. It does seem overwhelming at first, but many of the Beck tasks become habits if you take it slow. Then it’s just part of your life. I love hiking and backpacking and you’re in a great place to do it.

BillBE, yay for a day without a food challenge. They are few and far between this time of year. And yay for nice walking weather mid-December! It’s great that you had the motivation to use it for some exercise.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for 2 days OP with lots of reasons to twirl! Yum for roasted veggies. It’s so much easier to stay OP when healthy food is so delicious.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday Morning

Hi Coaches

NatureGirl - Quite the adventure and credit for developing the fitness to do it. Yay for a packed lunch. I love all this talk of snow
THotty - WELCOME - glad you found your way here - it is a useful place to be. A little bit at a time is a great way to start
BillBlueEyes - Parties and work lunches are the bane of my dieting life lately. None of my plans defend against them. Avoidance seems to be the way to go at the moment. Love your sensible stocking stuffers.
Beverlyjoy - Yay for 2 days on plan. Great that you have found a standby in roasted veggies. Makes me think I should do it more. Hope you solve your Christmas baking dilemma. We don't serve food family style - with side dishes etc. It is served as a meal on a plate - which makes not taking seconds easier. Wonderful DH not bringing home treats - progress indeed
Debbie(Lexxiss) - Yay for memories of how you USED to eat - a good place to be
Gardenerjoy - I am so glad your friend got a new kidney and it sounds like a great success. Good idea to sit out the snow for a while. Credit on the new low
Shepherdess - Great resistance staying away from those chips especially after all the spontaneous exercise in the bedroom. Hope you get to exercise today. Well done not eating all the dessert in the "swankest place in town". Yes - Australian Santa's suffer badly. Insane really

Reading about BillBE's healthy stocking stuffers makes me think that I need to take foods to my sisters that are not the usual stuff I think she and her son want (we are all there is of family really). I now have to start thinking about useful alternatives - veggies and dip to make there plus...? When I was out shopping I couldn't believe the food assault - "zillions of choices of candied this and chocolate covered that". All meant to inspire gluttony. I don't even really like it.

If I sound a bit obsessed about bush fires I am a little! I back on to a national park which regularly catches fire. When I am away over the holidays I always expect to come home to scorched earth as happened to one of my neighbours. Not a real concern (in fact it could solve some of my problems, LOL) but something to prepared for/against

Credits
- Food on plan 80%
- Weighed myself
- Checked in
- Logging food
- Getting dinner out of freezer
- No exercise
- No A&R cards

Have a good day
Old 12-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Seadwaters, LMAO at your reference to Shepherdess getting "spontaneous exercise in the bedroom"--I'm positive all you are referring to is moving the furniture back, right?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #114  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation mixed bag - Sunday check-in

Hi Coaches

I missed posting yesterday. In fact, I titled this one Saturday before I realized d'oh! it's Sunday. Well Saturday was a fall back into every old pattern I have had with food.

First, I had a good breakfast credit then I skipped lunch as I took the car and got myself some new glasses credit , which should, hopefully, arrive before we leave on Friday for Toronto. As a backup I am going to get a trial pair of, get this, bifocal contactscredit . The eye dr. says they have an 80% success rate. But trial=free and they could get me through Friday if my glasses don't show. Otherwise I won't see distance because there is no way I am wearing my current glasses. Yes, they ARE that bad.

I also got my mom and we did a bit of xmas shopping for my Florida sister. I got cards and made my mother write one for my sis and BIL. She bought them each a gift and I'll mail it tomorrow. credits all 'round for this I got her something decorative for her apt door. Everyone on her floor has something and now she does too. She was happy about that and me too. credit for taking care of my mom I think I need to lie to my mom about me moving. I told her and she remembers and it bothers her a lot. this time when she brought it up I told her I was staying. She was happier. It's weird what sticks and when. She told my sister this morning that "someone was over yesterday but not (me). " She was in a good mood which continues to make me believe that while my mom may not remember details due to alzheimer's, she does hang onto residual emotions. That she was happy means she's feeling good and we did have a good time. My brother is completely joyless when it comes to my mom and my mother feels that.
It's too bad for him and for her.

Anyway I came home starving and as DH made dinner I spied the half-dozen homemade cookies sent to me by his mom. I resisted them since Friday but then ate them all, of course starting with "just one".
Then, as he served dinner he handed me a cola beverage and like Pavlov's dogs I popped the tin and chugged. arg. 2 sugars in me after a week of none. Then I ate twice as much as I was eating all week, all the way to overfull. credit for food from scratch. credit for noticing I liked it better being not so full. Also, I, me, I bought a Kinder Egg for DH and for me too but I did give 1/2 the chocolate to DH. credit You could have knocked him over with a feather. I also credit parked at the far end of every parking lot so me and my mom got some good walking in. Those were deliberate choices for the most part--a few forced due to the volume of xmas shoppers out at the mall.

So I know where I went wrong. I saw a 1.2lb rise on the scale this morning when I weighed in credit and went O Well. Today has been OP and I did two things to help myself 1) I just emptied the half-ful 2litre bottle of sugary drink down the toilet credit that remained from when I was getting ready for my colonoscopy. I found myself chugging it yesterday after I down the cola. and 2) I was poised over the peanut butter jar about to get a fork cause all the spoons are dirty and ready to take the lid off and dig into it because I want "something sweet". I put the PB away so I can't see it. If it bugs me it's going into the trash.

The sugar cravings are a tough one. No cola for me today. Just my planned dinner which is ready so I will say Good Evening for now but check back for personals later. or not!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Beckers:

seadwaters- nice list of credits. Sorry to hear about the bush fire threat. Strange for us buried in snow to think about that. Hope it is OK for you.

Shepherdess-it is good that you notice the changes without regular exercise. That's a great way to keep motivated.

T Hotty- welcome aboard the board.

gardenerjoy- good news about your friend. And happy belated anniversary.

Beverlyjoy- yay for two days on plan. Nice list of credits.

BillBlueEyes-sounds like you are getting some beautiful weather. Credit for changing your Christmas buying to healthier food.

Nature Girl-your skiing holiday sounded fantastic. Yay for 3.5 pounds gone!!

madrikh-don't feel bad about personals. That has kept me from posting in the past which does no good at all.

maryann- kuddos for getting to the gym most days- quite an accomplishment. And yay for 1.5 pounds gone.

onebyone- your DH is a peach. Love the idea of a mini-makeover.

maryblu- waving hello to you doing puzzles to the blues.

Lexxiss-love that you put napping as a credit. So smart to take one when you need one. Sorry for the continuing family drama.

Blue Daisy- waving hello.

For me- a stupidly crazy week last week. This overwork is really driving me crazy and it is hard to stay on plan. Some good days, some not. I am wearing out.

But I did decide that I must concentrate above all else on curtailing my sugar intake. I get started and I just want more. Last Sunday's chocolate melt-down worried me and I have not eaten sugar since then. I just need to not eat it because control seems to be out of the question at this point. I feel much better. Every time I am tempted I am just telling myself- "this is my bottom line right here."

So another major week coming up and then I am off work for a week and a half and I am going to regroup in a major way. Till then- no sugar, no binging, do my weights and carry on as best I can. Need to learn the trick of going into maintenance mode instead of losing the thread altogether.

Hope you all have a great week and will check in when I can.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 196/195/191

Height: 5'8"

Good evening everyone,
I had a productive day getting started with the Beck program. I created advantage and response cards, weighed myself first thing (was heavier than I thought!), got all my supplies together, went for a run, ate dinner all slow and mindfully and prepared myself for Experiment #1. I'm giving myself major credit for all of this! What else... Oh, I changed my weight loss goal to just 5 pounds like she suggests. I threw away some binge-y food, which was absolutely heart breaking! So 2 more credits.

I'm thinking it's going to take a while to get through all these experiments she suggests. There are six of them and she says to do them all multiple times. For those who followed the Diet for Life book, did you continue with the other skills while doing the experiments?

Nature Girl - your ski trip sounds fun! I've been thinking about trying out cross country skiing this season. I was looking at the Snoqualmie Pass website and they have these packages for renting all the gear and getting a lesson for like $50. Do you go to a ski area or just out on your own? What an awesome way to stay in shape during the winter!

I'm enjoying reading all your posts!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - OP eating, CREDIT moi. Not much exercise since it rained all day. It was a joy to watch my DW, the gardener, so happy watching the rain. And another joy that my basement was dry after my latest round of patching.

One more container of obsolete files destroyed; CREDIT moi for each small step in de-cluttering.

maryblu - Ouch!!! Shame on the person who forgot to tell the architect of the Metrodome that it snows in Minnesota.

onebyone - Yay for a very full day with lots of credits despite your little diablo's in between. Neat that, with the glasses, you're working on your presentation for next Friday's party. Gotta laugh at the visual of you going after peanut butter with a fork.

CeeJay - Smart to focus on "curtailing my sugar intake" - sugar is a trigger for me, too. Ouch for a "stupidly crazy week" - may you be granted some calm days in the weeks ahead.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on your new low. Again! That's great news that your friends kidney is doing kidney things.

Shepherdess - Seems right to me that ranchers are taking over the swankest place in town; Let the swells meet those who make the world turn.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for roasted veggies, twirl worthy moments, a DH who doesn't bring junk home from a business trip, and a new Chinese Restaurant item. A good day indeed.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Good list of credits - reads like you're getting back in your grove. Ouch for returning home with the fear of scorched earth. When I return home after a few days, I always have this momentarily pause as I turn onto my street checking that my house stands intact; thought I was the only one.

Nature Girl - LOL - I hadn't spotted that.

T Hotty - Hats off to someone who'll backpack in the snow. You certainly deserve Kudos for all the Beck stuff you've done - getting off to a good start, you are.

I didn't use Beck diet of life for my weight loss, but my take is that you should do the Experiments until you feel you got it. Some may take multiple times, some will feel obvious to you after the first time. But I'd proceed with the Skills of Stage 1 at the same time. Since these Skills are going to take a long time to get through, you might welcome the distraction of continuing the Experiments. Pretty soon you won't feel as if you're doing so many things all at once.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 11
When to Stop Losing and Start Maintaining

But I Want to be Thinner!

You can do a number of things if you're unhappy with your Lowest Maintainable Weight.
. . .
Prepare yourself mentally before you weigh yourself. You'll feel disappointed if you continually expect to see your Lowest Achievable Weight whenever you step on the scale. Before you weigh yourself, remind yourself of your Lowest Maintainable Weight. Also remind yourself that you'll probably weigh between 2 pounds more to 2 pound less than that number. This way, you'll be happy, rather than disappointed, when the scale shows that you've maintained. If you gain more than 2 pounds, tell yourself that you now have the skills to solve the problem.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 276.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I managed to stay OP yesterday even though I didn’t make a plan. I chose all of my regular foods for my meals, but I can’t make the flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants a habit. Too easy to get derailed. I also started my holiday candy-making. I skipped it last year, but would be sad if I could never do it again. My DH would be sad too. I kept my testing to a minimum and let that be my treat for the day. I’m planning to only keep a small amount around the house that I can work into my daily plan and will give the rest away. To avoid being obnoxious, I’m only giving people small amounts as well. They can have a taste without a lot of extra temptation.

I got my run in yesterday and both me and the dog were happy. I did have to cut it a bit short because it was windy, but it was still good to get some outdoor exercise. I did long yoga session since the run wasn’t as long as I would have liked.

Seadwaters, I love the idea of healthy holiday alternatives! Everyone gets a little over-sugared anyways. Kudos for all those smiley faces. It looks like you’re kicking that seasonal slump.

Onebyone, ouch for facing the temptation of homemade cookies when you were overly hungry. Great job recognizing the problems and fixing them.

CeeJay, ouch for wearing out from overwork. Is there an end in sight? A “light at the end of the rainbow” as a friend likes to mix the metaphore? Great idea to pick something simple to focus on while things are so busy.

T Hottie, great job getting organized and ready to start Beck. It took me about 2 weeks to work through the experiments. Sometimes I think I need to go back and do a refresher since I tend to forget. Take as much time as you need. It’s great to have another runner on the forum!

BillBE, yay for a dry basement on a rainy day! Rain/snow days are great for getting that decluttering done. DH and I are making lists of projects to do on nasty winter days.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #119  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up grooves

Hi Coaches

Just a quick morning check-in for me. I am off to scrape the car. Lots of rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow and now it's freezing cold, all in the span of 24hrs. I don't know how slippery it really is out there so I've decided to stay close to home. I'm going to the mall around the corner to get BIL special candies and then get some wrapping paper and wrap up my sister's gift. I am also wrapping a parcel for my friend in Washington state and I hope to mail them this afternoon.

Foodwise I have a few credits from yesterday:
-no seconds
-no sugar
-low gi foods = 70%

plus I weighed in this morning (credit) and the scale said 277.8 so I am back down again. Phew! 280's stay away from me!!!!
This little bit of success prompted me to measure my low gi eggbeaters and add a veggie (mushrooms) and I also added my low fat cheddar to it (credit for switching both my eggs and my cheese to low and lower GI versions and for eating a veg at breakfast).

I did eat to overful again last night, eating more meat than I needed to, and I did eat a whole bag of frozen mango chunks (these were yellowlight foods so not ow gI but middle GI but they weren't chocolates so I am giving myself an O well on this one and a credit for eating fruit!). I still consider myself OP as the foods in themselves are mostly low GI and the foodplan says to concentrate on the foodstuffs more than the quantity, though I do know I have to reign it in if I want weightloss - Beck tells me so and I know it is true. I feel myself growing in that direction. So long as I keep a lid on the sugar consumption which triggers so many cravings in me it's not funny, I find I can exercise my resistance muscle more willingly and more easily and not only that, but I feel the urge to make that muscle stronger-to really give it a workout

My hunch is if I can stay with what I am doing now through the holiday season I'll be very happy with myself come January and the new year. I DO NOT want to be feeling less than and fatter in 2.5 weeks. With the exceptions I already noted yesterday my goal is to be OP as I navigate the murky holiday waters.

BTW OMG the sheer AMOUNT and VARIETY of xmas candy out there is incredible. I think there is more for xmas than Halloween. Who really needs all this stuff anyway? Wow. But, it is often a cheap, impersonal, gift for those on your list and also a gift for family members who you don't know what to get for them. But really...so much stuff. VERY HARD to resist and eave it at the store. But I will--except for my BIL who is a) hard to buy for and b) likes and eats the stuff. See? No wonder they sell it. *sigh*

Bye for now.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Quick check in. Took the train to San Francisco with my family to see the inspiring post impressionist exhibit. My 8yoDS was entranced. We had a memorable time with the show and then walking through Union Square to see the xmas lights. Not back til 11:30 last nite and I was up for work at 6:00 Totally worth being tired. I planned for 300 extra calories and it worked beautifully. I ate the best gourmet cupcake on the train ride home with chamomille tea and DS sleeping on my shoulder. Beautiful. Although the scale said up a pound this morning I said, "ohWell" - water weight from restaurant food. I know I did fine. credit.
Seadwaters: always interesting to hear stories from your neck of the woods.
Naturegirl: I planned one meal plus snacks on my trip and you are right, it is delicious to have a planned meal.
Thotty: welcome
Onebyone: your sugar binge felt VERY familiar to me. I am sorry you had to go through that. It is painful.
BBE: congrats for passing the treats. Sometimes I picture myself in a room surrounded by my favorite sweet. Then it becomes overwhelming and disgusting rather than enticing when I encounter a beautiful, modest display. No group singing since DS was born. I'll get back to it.
Beverley: excellent communicating with DH. He heard you. That always feels great.
Gardernerjoy: I know it is not really fun, but snow shoveling does SOUND fun for us flatlanders in California.
Shepardess: glad you got back to exercise. I am a mess when I am away too long from it.
Ceejay: I am a sister in sugar addiction. It is never pretty.
Closed Thread