Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #46  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I'm checking in while I have a moment....still working on my project...and a few more. I'm going to try to stay home this afternoon. I'm at Starbucks with my Sis working on the family cookbook. Yesterday was OP with many credits during this semi-stressful time. I read posts and keep my Beck skills in my mind as I focus on another day.

Thanks for being here everyone!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Greetings,
Still blue today. It started on Sat. nite when the floor dropped out and hasn't really popped back up. This is usual for me. I am a person with mood swings, bottomline. Most have nothing to do with current events but biology. Credit - for the first time in my life I am consistenly OP thru it. Credit - not taking anything too seriously now because I have no perspective. Credit - suiting up and showing up because I know this will pass although all I feel is doom. Credit - checked all my boxes on the Pink Stage 1 list.
seadwaters: the key to my time management was not overcommitting. I feel so guilty not being everything to everyone and I am a stickler for doing what I say I will do. Then I am trapped. It will be good to hear how you are doing with this tricky subject.
McKt: careful with those carbs. They are my Achilles' heel.
BBE: impressive planning ahead for what you need and use of resistance techniques.
madrikh: congrats on the courage to face the scale. This is a long race and the numbers will come if I just do what is in front of me today.
shepardess: you make me jealous with your outside tales. Good thing I am off to Tahoe Friday to kayak.

Last edited by maryann; 10-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #48  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

still struggling with planning my food.....then eating it. Well not planning so much as eating it. It has to be precooked or something, because by the end of the day I just dont want to cook.

Im seriously considering lean cuisines for my freezer for days like this. Calorie and portion controlled. I dont have to think about it. Maybe thats the issue....having to think about it all the time.

Here I thought I was being smart by buying those steamer packages!! How clever I thought I was....just pop them in the microwave and my veggies are done. But...I didnt remember that I need cooked chicken or a protein to go with it.

Ive been looking at my appointment book....I need to block out an hour a day to feed myself. Set my timer if Im in the office so that I go eat. Because I get carried away with what Im doing and I keep putting it off until 330ish then Im not hungry for supper, until 8 or 9 at night.

I'll get it......

another word on "worthy and deserving" Ive changed my cards....tossed most of them. Because so many of them werent positive. Or they were "when I do this" I would let myself down at the end of the day and feel really bad. But taking a minute after Ive just stuffed a twinkie in my mouth, I dont feel guilty, I remind myself that I am worthy and deserving...and it usually stops at that one twinkie. Rather than beating myself up over letting myself down.

ok...Im done

Have a great evening everyone! Im off to look for fingerless gloves!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckies & coaches - yesterday (Monday) was in my calorie range. It took a few twists and turns but I managed. I logged and counted my calories. Credit. I am grateful for the willingness to do so.

Thanks for the ideas and reminders about my no sleeping well lately.

Billbe - I agree, DH needs to hide his goodies!

Seadwaters - Or, pehaps, it's time for me to use..."It would be so helpful to me if you could keep the goodies out of the house. Good reminder. Also - I do know how to do meditations and relaxation techniques. I need to remember and be willing to do so. Another good thing to remember..thanks.

Gardenerjoy - You ask a good quesiton...: "Am I hungry when I can't sleep." No, I am not hungry - just frustrated, tired and kinda stressed from not sleeping. You have a good idea for times when I can't sleep in making up a plan of action. I could listen to relaxing tapes, read, watch tv, clean or try and rest in my easy chair .

Shepardess - gentle stretches sound like a good ideas with relaxing breathing.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-05-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Hello, Beckmates,

I took the time tonight to read through everyone of my coaches/buddies posts this month. (I had to keep going outside in the balmy fall evening just to smell the air; it is that wonderful freshly fallen leaf smell.) I feel much better informed. I echo the sentiment that I am grateful for you all. Sending hugs to those who need them.

Lexxiss, fascinating story of your grandma's cave. Credit for lotza unplanned exercise.

Shepherdess, thanks for the owl/turkey standoff story. Love owls, too, and sorry the turkeys won out. We have alotta Wild Turkeys around here, too..used to be cool, but now so very common...often a menace on the road.

Sorry if I got carried away with the Lutefisk thang, but it really is disgusting.

My 2 cents to madrikh on choosing a plan, and wondering if this might be helpful to RobinW as well. You on a Diet recommends automating your food plan. What Dr. Oz and Roisen advise is to eat the same thing every day for both breakfast and lunch. Dinner you change up. The brilliance of that, besides it being quite like the Beck program in the green book, and thus *brilliant, is that it take a lot of the focus off food. You don't have to think about what to have for 2 meals a day...you don't have to think about it. You would obviously have to plan snacks ahead, too, but many of us are better at that already. I see the merit of it, for sure. Mebbe if weekends are a bit saner, and I realize that is a big if, one could change things up a bit. Just a thought.

The amazing fall weather continues. 70s, dry, great joy.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #51  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I have been having a week filled with good things and stuff I'd prefer to do without-but it's not always my choice. Food sanity has been pretty consistent. Sunday was not the best, but it was due to poor planning for the most part. I was going to stay home in the evening then Mom and Sis invited me out for a drive. I assumed dinner was in our plan and it wasn't. I picked up an orange during a grocery stop (they drove through McDonalds). I had planned on baking when I got home, did, and ate most of what I baked. I came out ok calorie wise, but not nutritionally. Baking was OP food, but not in the quantity I ate. It all comes down to one thing-Plan for the unplanned. Still working on the canning project...jars everywhere!

BillBlueEyes, oh, I laughed and shook my head at the revolving platter of brownies. I've had that happen where EVERY time I try to get rid of them they seem to go all the way around and end up RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN! Your Not About Me is such a great technique! *credit* for asking the food person in advance to get some healthy food.

Beverlyjoy, it's so hard to deal with the goodies! It's easy in my head to say "no choice", but at my house it's every night and every food-starting with chips, moving into chocolate and ending with ice cream. The associated noises are triggers for me and once I cave in it's very hard to get back to abstinence. I understand I have very little control once I start. I have been thinking about it a lot, because I've spent the week alone and it's so much easier.

RobinW, I have a sometimes unpredictable schedule and I have to set time aside for my lunch, especially, but usually dinner, too. It has really helped as it became a habit.

maryann, great credits, especially when you are feeling blue. Knowing it will pass even while feeling doom is very empowering. Hang in there!

gardenerjoy, I am interested in hearing more about your time management successes.

Shepherdess, oh, I am envious of your owl and turkeys. I can hear owls in the morning and we have turkeys all over but I have never seen them fly.

Marci(madrikh), lol for the "complaining diet". Yes, you've already been reminded, but increases on the scale when you're eating OP are only temporary. It's hard to believe time is flying by very fast-2 weeks on your new medication.

AmberPr, thanks for checking in. Yay for maintaining!

KAM(McKt), fantastic news on your weight loss so far! Working on your Beck skills while enjoying the ease of P1 sounds really sensible for you.

CeeJay, thanks for the ! I think your using your Beck skills to get back on track is a really great step forward. It's nice to hear about your progress.

Cheryl(seadwaters), making two lunches at once is very effective time management. Slow computers are so frustrating...I lived with one for years. Thanks for sharing suggestions for dealing with sleepless nights. I will try breathing. And thanks also, for reporting on books.

maryblu, enjoy your hiking and fall splendor. I find food is much more in line when I am able to spend time doing all things enjoyable. BTW-I'm an automator-got the idea from Dr. Oz' book. It has worked very well for me.

MaryContrary, I'm chiming in late, but very impressed with your practicing moderation during your special event centered weekend….and for noticing! Given your success this past month, I think your October goal is very reasonable.

Woodland, it was great to hear from you...right after I last posted. Saying no thanks to food during a tough time is so powerful! Hope you're feeling better!

I hope I didn't miss anyone. Thanks for all your collective insights. Good night!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 10-06-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #52  
KAM

S/C/G: 163/154.5/133

Height: 5'4"

Beautiful autumn day in sunny northern California. Credit – diligently did a chapter in my Beck workbook and went to a cycling class at the gym… double credits.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday!

BBE – Serious credit due with the planning and the passing on of the food! I actually was feeling a little anxious while reading,
wondering if I really could pass on those brownies. Woo Whoo!

Amber – Yay for winging it and still maintaining. Your numbers are truly inspirational. Kudos to you

Madrikh - Yay for more raw produce and walking on the treadmill. All in the right direction!

Shepherdess – Kudos for doing the weight and Yay doggie tag exercise and Wow for the fabulous bird watching, how lucky you are!

Gardenerjoy - How nice to think about something else other than what the scale says – Yay!

Lexxiss - Kudos, kudos and more for staying on OP when you have so much going on.

Maryann - Sending happy vibes to chase your blues away. You should be very proud to remain OP and for recognizing it will pass. Stay strong!

RobinW - Yay for new cards… and for being aware of where you need to change up the food prep.

Beverly joy – Kudos for willingness and counting and logging. May you have sweet and sound dreams!

Last edited by McKt; 10-06-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday night

Hi Coaches
A quick check in - I did well on plan today, although if I could have scared up a common garden variety biscuit at an afternoon meeting I would have scarfed it. Fortunately they didn't have any and the feeling passed - as we know it will. I am determined to go and make a nice dinner tonight - I have some good fish and all the ingredients and I am going to make a simple Asian fish soup - it will be nice. Might even have enough for work lunch

I will then plan for tomorrow and make meals and get organised for another on-plan day

Have a good day Beckies

_________
Cheryl
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #54  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - This weekend I had finally make stuff for my week of lunches; CREDIT moi. So I was happy at lunch to have my mixture of white beans, red onions, and cherry tomatoes, with rosemary vinaigrette. I do like when I'm looking forward to the lunch I've brought with me. At dinner last night I saved half of my piece of the grilled tuna that DH served to have for lunch today - just a small piece tastes soooo good at lunch.

I let the rain stop me from walking after work. Tomorrow is another day.

maryblu - Make room, I'm definitely moving to Minnesota after reading your description of fall. Reminder: 3 days and counting.

Robin (RobinW) - Just love it that "worthy and deserving" is displacing old cards. What will you use fingerless gloves for? (I use them to operate binoculars in the cold, for bike riding, and for weight lifting.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope you're going someplace neat, like New Zealand.

Shepherdess - Thanks for the demo, "Didn’t feel like it; did it anyways." I always need to be reminded that feelings aren't an emergency either. Love the Great Horned Owl and "wild" turkeys story. Not sure who I'd bet on if the owl and tom turkey went after each other.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for navigating a "a few twists and turns."

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - "simple Asian fish soup" sounds good to me. LOL at searching for a biscuit - a good reminder of the importance of a clear environment.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Neat that you are keeping your Beck going even while there's stress. Good choice of an orange verses McDonald's. Ouch for going for your own baking.

Amber (AmberPr) - Yay for each bit of siding added. Wasn't sure what this meant, "Part of the project was moving the satellite." Doesn't Mission Control usually take care of that?

Marci (madrikh) - Yay for 15 days and Yay, again, for "MY."

maryann - Oh Yes, Big Kudos for "I am consistently OP thru it." That's great stuff.

McKt - My gym has cycling classes and I watch folks leaving drenched in sweat; gonna try one it some day.

Readers -
Quote:
day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

How Claire Changed

To encourage herself to exercise, Claire did the following:
.......... . .
  • She read a Response Card after she exercised, one that reminded her why she deserved so much credit for walking.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 252.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters - yesterday was a good calorie day - I am so grateful for that. I did do calorie counting, stretches & strengthening, leave a bite always , eat seated always, one twirl and lots of water. Credit. However, I didn’t do many other Beck tasks.

Today I go for my Pre-op physical for my surgery on Sept. 21. I am going to say something to my doctor about the fact that she didn’t listen to me when I knew I had to see a dermatologist because of the 80 raised red bumps. I am getting a new doctor when this is all over. I don’t have the energy to figure that out right now.

Since I am going to the doctor this afternoon, I decided to weigh myself this morning. I am up 2 pounds. That makes 13 for this summer. That makes me very sad. I am glad, however, that I am on a better track than I was a couple months ago. My ticker is correct. I got up today and have written down my plan, wrote down my Beck goals, and am going for a healthy day.

Billbe - well done on your planning ahead for healthy meals and leaving the extra for another meal. I hope you can get out for your walk today.

Seadwaters - credit for planning to walk past the bisket even before you know they were all gone. Healthy dinner and leftover for lunch is great planning.

Mckt - you are moving along in your Beck book. Well done and carry on!

Lexxiss - it is so, so true. Planning is essential but, we have to know how to manage when the plan just has to change. It’s a credit that with all the changes and baking you stayed in your calorie range!

Maryblu - thanks for your explanation of You on a Diet. There’s much to be said about planning. The same foods for two meals for a week…really leaves your mind free of thoughts of food choices.

Robinw - if eating convenience food is within your food plan - sounds OK to me. Planning takes practice. If you plan ahead - then you can have foods at home to prepare & eat meals. Yes indeed, your are "worthy and deserving"
- absolutely!! Remember this always.

Maryann - major credit for getting through a down time OP. YAY

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-06-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I had a good OP day yesterday. I was making spaghetti for dinner. I had more pasta in the cupboard than 2 of us needed, but not enough to save the rest. The thought crossed my mind to give us each a larger serving; then thought, “Hey, I could save the extra for lunch.” It’s annoying to have stupid thoughts, but I’m glad the good idea prevailed.

I got my run in yesterday. I cut it a bit short since DH has me on weed control. It requires a lot of walking with a heavy sprayer on my back.

Gardenerjoy, best of luck getting ready for your trip. I’m impressed that you’re still making the time to exercise while busy.

Lexxiss, yay for continued food sanity while you’re so busy. It sounds like you did really well in difficult situation. Nutrition may not have been perfect, but I’m sure your healthy habits on other days will cover one not-so-great dinner.

Maryann, hugs while you’re feeling down, but great job sticking to your healthy habits. It’s great that you recognize that “This too shall pass.” Hope you’re back to your cheerful self soon.

RobinW, you’re smart to recognize that you need to make an appointment to feed yourself. I get into trouble when I put off eating for too long. I make bad choices when too hungry. I love how “I’m worthy and deserving” puts you in a positive mindset and makes controlling your eating so much easier. I’ll have to take a cue from you and make some positive reminders.

Beverlyjoy, great job for 2 days OP. Kudos for speaking up to your Dr. She needs to know that she missed the boat when she didn’t listen and made your health worse. Hugs while you head in for your pre-op physical.

Maryblu, yay for stepping outside to smell fallen leaves. Glad you could tear yourself away from your beautiful autumn weather long enough to pop by. LOL at the turkey menace on the road. They multiply very quickly! DH takes one a year for Thanksgiving, but the flock keeps growing.

McKt, yay for beautiful autumn weather! Great job getting in some good exercise and taking the time to read more Beck.

Seadwaters, yay that there were no available biscuits when the craving hit. Great job continuing to eat so well when you are so busy!

BillBE, yay for lunches you look forward to. And thank you for your continuing to set a good example and reminding me that if I leave some dinner I have a good lunch to look forward to.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #57  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Not as exciting as New Zealand, but it should be a good trip. We're going to Columbus, Indiana, the small town with an astounding array of modern architecture and public art due to the influence (and money) of Cummins Engines which is headquartered there. We also anticipate getting to see some fall color along the scenic route we plan to take instead of the interstate.

WI: +0.5kg, Exercise: +70 325/1800 minutes for September, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #58  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Just a quickie! Bill~ I'll use them to keep my hands warm. lol Working on the computer all day and the mouse for some reason turns my hands to ice!!! I have very thin boney hands. Unlike the rest of me!! lol There is very little fat on my hands to help keep them warm. So Im hoping these will do the trick!

Off to more client meetings tonight. But supper has been eaten, and just tea is on the agenda for tonight
Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, All. Thanks to all for well wishes during my "blue period." I actually feel better today - on the way through and out. I said it yesterday and it is true today - amazing that I stay OP. I would credit moi but I would have to share it with this thread, with the Beck book, understanding DH and my HP( highpower). Alone I am lost.
I am doing all the foot work which is so helpful and it is reinforced by reading all the things everyone else is doing. BBE is packing lunches which is vital to my plan. Seadwaters is cooking which is the only authentic way to keep proportions completely accurate. Beverlyjoy is telling the painful truth not just to us but to hear it herself and that is the only way someone can really achieve change. The first step is always admitting what really is. I hear her sadness. Shepardess is not fooling herself like Beck warns us in the cards. "extra food is off." And gardernerjoy is enriching her life with travel - also a Beck life step.
I must be participating in the right blog. I feel lucky.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

I've been reading about all your adventures and appreciate all the Beck goodness. Visiting this thread is part of my daily routine and I'm grateful for it.

I was busy making salsa today when DH asked me to run an errand in town. I was glad that I could quickly ex-change food choices from what I'd planned and still stay on track. When I got back, I enjoyed what might be my last cantaloupe from the garden. Pests are breaking into them more often now, and I guess I can't blame them for being hungry this time of year.

Here's to continued success with Beck skills !!

Woodland
Closed Thread