Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner. On the patio. With gazpacho. CREDIT moi. I wore short sleeves to prove that it was still summer. DW snickered the whole time, but I shivered only a little bit; was worth it to prove my point, LOL.

Monday was a beautiful day for birding; good views of a Peregrine Falcon, American Kestrel, and six Northern Harriers. Wish I could figure out a kind of birding that required moving rapidly in order to get more exercise but, alas, patience is rewarded not motion.

maryblu - Ouch for injuries that make exercise a challenge. I find reassurance when observing that pieces of Beck principals are believed and followed by others.

onebyone - Kudos for identifying that stress itself is the saboteur. And Double Kudos for deciding to attack it at its source. Thanks for the photos of your "dead over the river Styx" - wish I could have seen that in person.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Our goal here succinctly stated, "because I'm no longer the kind of person who ..." LOL at the car turning itself into Jack in the Box; car needs to review the first 10 days of the Beck program.

Shepherdess - LOL at "caramel rolls" as "a perfectly reasonable appetizer" - Kudos for using a Beck-like strategy to remove yourself rather than justify swapping for your planned dessert.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Seems like good mom time to review beloved family recipes. Thanks for the reminder about clutter.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for a body that only had to retreat a couple of pounds in weight lifting after a few week hiatus. I am in awe at, "half that bagel" - I've never left half a bagel, LOL.

Carol (Starling) - Congrats on breaking another scale milestone. And Congrats again for having a friend so thoughtful as to not make dessert.

Nature Girl - Kudos for bragging itself - that's what we're here for - as well as such a neat list of accomplishments for the day. It's useful for me to be reminded that "habit" is what we need to break to get on our new path.

Readers -
Quote:
day 37
Reduce Stress

Three Steps to Lower Your Level of Stress

On Days 33 and 34 (pages 227-235) of this program, you learned how to cope with negative emotions and to solve problems that cause them. You'll use many of the same skills to cope with problems that create stress. Here are the steps you should take:

. . .
Step 3: Change Your Mindset

Many people are chronically stressed because they allow unreasonable rules to guide their behavior. These rules usually have the word should or shouldn't in them. Do any of the following sound familiar?
  • I should always do my best.
  • I should always prevent problems from happening.
  • I shouldn't rely on others.
  • I shouldn't let people down.
  • I shouldn't make others unhappy.
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 244.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Beck coaches!

As expected, the scale went up more today. Expected, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, lol! It's not much, but just proves that it was water weight lost during the last couple of weeks.

I forgot to mention that the white stuff on my tonsils is gone. I noticed yesterday morning. I am calcification free.

Today is kind of a planned off plan day, lol. There's a good chance my co-worker will have baked this weekend, so I might partake in that and I've left lots of WW points to cover that...not sure yet. I did not last week, mostly because what she made didn't interest me that much but also because I couldn't chew. But, I've already had a bit of off-plan eating. Someone left a huge bag of apples from their tree in the kitchenette...it sounded so good, that I peeled and ate one. It was small, but still not planned.

Shepherdess LOL on the rolls being perfectly reasonable appetizers! So very true in many instances. Great strategy in avoiding them!

Lexxiss Yes, I agree with Bill, thanks for the reminder about clutter!!

maryblu Glad you are back!

Starling Wow, what a great friend!!!! Yay for friends who are supportive AND who follow that up! CONGRATULATIONS on being under 160 for the first time in 15 years!!! Yay!

onebyone I love your art!

Nature Girl Brag away...great job!

BillBlueEyes Hum, well, you could always do some leg lifts while birding, lol. Not exactly cardio though I guess.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #78  
Green Tomatoes

The walk my friend and I took yesterday was at a nature center with hilly trails. We hadn't done that walk all summer--most of our walks have been ending at Farmers Markets. The last time we walked it, I struggled up the largest hill. This time, we were talking and were three quarters of the way up it before I realized we were on it. I'm very pleased because that means my Wii workouts are leading to functional fitness--it's a little hard to tell when most of your exercise is occuring in a virtual world.

I'm a bit frustrated with my weight -- I'm on a stall that's gone on for a couple of weeks. But, I'm currently experiencing both ragweed allergy symptoms and perimenopausal symptoms, either one of which can cause bloating. Who knows what mischief the two together can be up to? So, I'm going to be patient with it for awhile longer and just keep doing what I'm doing.

WI: +0.4kg, Exercise: +65 365/1800 minutes for September, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

new2me2: good luck with the planned off plan day, be sure to report back how it goes!

BillBlueEyes: I've done some amateur botanizing and had cause to wish that it was better exercise -- even that is a faster pace than birding since we don't have to worry about scaring away our targets.

Nature Girl: yay for all of those credits. And extra credit for recognizing that a lot of overeating is just a habit. That's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I think it may be a disservice that we have the concept of "emotional eating." I had the notion that I needed to figure out all of my horrible inner demons in order to lose weight. But, I now think that while emotional eating played a role in developing my overeating habits, most of the actual extra calories were consumed by habit not as an emotional response.

onebyone: love your photos! That's a really effective display.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Tuesdays that feel like Mondays . . .

I hope everyone is having a good start to the week!

Yet again I find myself lacking the time to do personals, so I'll try not to feel guilty about that and just write what I can . . .

Since Friday, I have gone Off-Plan several times -- not planned Off-Plan, either. Some credit-moi: since beginning Beck, whenever I've gone off-plan I have still (usually) managed to control portion size, whether it's through taking home leftovers or sharing. Still, yesterday, in another off-plan moment, it occurred to me that I was feeling as if it wouldn't do any harm to eat this food. In other words: because I am clearly slimming down, apparently I can forget exactly HOW I was able to come this far! Oh, the places our brains WILL go!

So this morning I am going to pay some particular attention to my response cards that talk about NO CHOICE, and the kinds of actions leading to the results we want to see. I'm also going to do some journaling.

Some other credits: working out pretty much every day. This seems to be an easy one for me.

A MAJOR credit: Okay, so cookies have been mentioned on this list. I'm not super-susceptible to every cookie, but a huge comfort activity (resulting in one of my favorite comfort foods) is baking chocolate chip cookies. And I have to say, I make some of the best chocolate chip cookies in the world! (I would attach a lovely photo, but I'm afraid that would be cruel.)

SO, Sunday arrives, I'm having a crappy emotional weekend, and my good friend invites me to a BBQ at her place. I really need to get away and spend some time with my friend, so I accept. Perfect excuse for me to bake cookies, right? Her 85-year old mother loves them, I love baking them, etc., etc. I am deliriously happy, and set the butter on the windowsill to soften.

But, crisis! Suddenly, I have this vivid image of all the bad eating habits that congregate around this one event. My biggest joy in baking these cookies, second only to seeing how happy they make others, is to eat as much of the cookie dough as I want. Standing up. Panicking: "How on earth am I expected to NOT sample the cookie dough?!! I don't wanna!!!!"

Here's what I do: I make only a single batch of cookies (rather than the usual double or triple batch, thanks Mom for setting this example). I absolutely REFUSE to taste any of the dough as it's in-process -- there's no need, I know this recipe by heart, and I can usually see when it's going well or not-well. Then -- when the dough has just been mixed -- before I add the chocolate chips -- at the ideal cookie-dough moment, in other words -- I give myself one generous spoonful: away from the bowl, sitting down at the kitchen table like I'm having a meal!!! Then, I allow myself ONE cookie hot-from-the-oven. I leave six cookies for the family, and take the rest to my friend's, as a gift to her mother.

On the high from this success, I also do very well at the BBQ: I take tiny portions of all the delectable sides, large portions of grilled veggies, and one generous skewer of grilled tuna (rather than a burger or hotdog). I also resist eating one of my own cookies. Yay for me!

Needless to say, I feel immensely proud about this moment, and endlessly amused at myself! Only you folks will understand.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

YAY MaryContrary!! You did great! Cookie dough is such a huge temptation for me too; fortunately I had to go gluten-free a few years ago, and GF dough doesn't taste good.

Credits:
-woke up too late yesterday (depression) to walk on the treadmill, but I did some light yoga later in the day
-got up early and onto the treadmill this morning, even bumped up the speed for the last 10 minutes
-saw a one pound gain on the scale this morning and reminded myself that "I am not my weight, it is just a number that gives me good information"
-realization that I do not need to eat everything on my plan, if I'm NOT hungry (seems like a no-brainer, but I have a lot of fear around being hungry)
-had a successful first home-school day with my VERY active 10 yo son
-I am rarely engaging in mindless eating these days

Keep it up, everyone! You inspire me.

Marci
Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick check in today to keep me on track. We have some friends from out of town visiting us, so things are hectic but good. Exercise yesterday was getting my garden ready for winter. It’s a bit early, but nothings growing but weeds anyways. Yesterday afternoon was not so great. DH was came home stressed and hungry and started snacking. I joined him. No good excuse for it. I’m just being lazy. So today I’m taking Maryblu’s advice (and wishing her a quick recovery!): I’m “just doing it.” I’ve made a plan and will stick with it. I did get my AM run in. Perfect weather for it. And I took a different, more hilly route than I normally take. The change of scenery was nice.

Waving to everyone. Have a great day!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #82  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Yay Everyone!

Hello Beck friends

It's been another busy day with Mom-we made 40 jars of jam. I had a cake to test-bake for the cookbook project, and I found myself tasting so here I am. *credit* for noticing AND deciding not to continue. I have food and exercise credits today, and am happily noticing healthful practices becoming habits.

Whew! I think Mom leaves on Thursday. Take care everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-07-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #83  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs down nightly check-in

Step 3: Change Your Mindset

Many people are chronically stressed because they allow unreasonable rules to guide their behavior. These rules usually have the word should or shouldn't in them. Do any of the following sound familiar?

* I should always do my best.

today I stressed over my print not being in crisp perfect condition. I added a small tear when I packaged it up. I saw how the soft paper had bunched up along the edges. For handmade japanes rice paper that is 4 feet wide and 6 feet long it's doing really really well and it's also been stored a year and a half. But "my best" = being perfect and I didn't reach that level so I stressed out and ate today.

* I should always prevent problems from happening.
yes. I should have foreseen the edge problem and corrected/prevented it
* I shouldn't rely on others.
* I shouldn't let people down.
* I shouldn't make others unhappy.

All of these get bundled into one big stressball. I know I am not responsible for how others feel. I don't always act like I know it though and others seem to sense I want to take things on for them and they are glad to hand it over to me-emotional things I mean.

Speaking of emotional things, DH is talking to another boss tomorrow. Looks like he'll have a choice of 2 positions, both would take us to London England but still no idea when, though these phonecalls would suggest it can't be that far off. I am finding it tough to keep things together around these developments.

Today I went in to the ceramic room to do my tech thing and the small kiln gave off a visible plume of acrid smelling smoke so I shut it down and it's out of order until Jim the kiln fixer comes by. That could be weeks. I have another kiln but this is bad development.

Also the ducts for the air conditioning which were installed last summer are coming loose from the ceiling! I was shown how they are hanging from one bolt plus 1/2 of a bolt on the other side. This duct is now bowing in the center and the whole thing, which is very big and attaches to other ducts spread throughout the room, is primarily situated above our work tables. These same tables will hold the eager rear-ends of brand new students as they sit on stools around it tomorrow afternoon. The whole thing makes me very very nervous. I wrote a big note to tell people not to work directly below the iffy duct. Really, no one should be there at all until it is fixed. Yikes.

Anyway I was having big coughing fits today and felt very breathless this afternoon. I think I'm a combination of tired/stressed/anxious and feeling overly heavy for my body again. I shouldn't have regained that weight, even if it's water weight I just feel so awful but that still didn't prevent me from eating again today. Not a good food day for me.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #84  

Height: 5'9

Well it's been going well for my first day. Making meal plans is making a huge difference. Credits for not even trying the delicious pasta sauce we have
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Here's what I do: I make only a single batch of cookies (rather than the usual double or triple batch, thanks Mom for setting this example). I absolutely REFUSE to taste any of the dough as it's in-process -- there's no need, I know this recipe by heart, and I can usually see when it's going well or not-well. Then -- when the dough has just been mixed -- before I add the chocolate chips -- at the ideal cookie-dough moment, in other words -- I give myself one generous spoonful: away from the bowl, sitting down at the kitchen table like I'm having a meal!!! Then, I allow myself ONE cookie hot-from-the-oven. I leave six cookies for the family, and take the rest to my friend's, as a gift to her mother.

..... I also resist eating one of my own cookies. Yay for me!

Wow MaryContrary, that was amazing! I looked through the entire list of Smilies to find something appropriate and nothing quite did the trick. I think that deserved a knight in shining armor slaying a dragon or something!

In a rush but at least I'm checking in before midnight <credit>
I'm having a very hard time getting used to DS's school schedule. I'm normally a night owl, and back when we were homeschooling it was fine to stay up til 2 because we didn't wake up until 9! But now I have to get up at 6...but... it still feels so natural to stay up late. ...Then the next day I'm tired / groggy / out of sorts and that makes it hard to eat in a healthy way. It's hard to focus, have patience, etc.

Then I perk up again around 9 PM, my focus is better, and I get all interested in what I'm doing. It's hard to stop then I stay up too late and the cycle continues.

I'm not sure how to tackle this. I'd be glad for suggestions!

One thing I came up with -- I must not, not, not turn on the TV after 9 PM. <Credit> I was TV-free this evening.

Greetings and best wishes all, I hope to do personals tomorrow...hopefully not waiting so late in the day
Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

So this morning my daughter was sick, my car borke, and my brother called to say he'd be in town for lunch! Needless to say, a few of my on plan food choices had to be revised, but good job for making flexible choices that fit my plan. I was running all over town so my grapefruit and sliced strawberries were impractical; I switched to a more portable handful of almonds. Instead of joining my brother & family for BLTs, heavy on the B, I switched my plan and had some of the tofu egg salad I made yesterday. I don't think anyone noticed I wasn't eating just what they were! Ended the day at the office and stayed so long I was STARVING (well probably not reaaly!) and still had to get to the store for dinner supplies. Got home and thought no way will I have the energy to cook. But I did! I had a quick break and pushed through and made a yummy healthy dinner-good job!
Tomorrow: first meeting with trainer; produce some response cards; exercise; those are the big things.
I read every one of the posts and I think about replies but right now I'm just trying to keep regular with my own posts till I get to be in a good habit/regular pattern.
So go for it, everyone--together we can do this!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #87  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Leonor

Leonor

And, in case you didn't get this two months ago,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find the Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Simple day; No particular challenges. Observed fewer kids about when I took my walk (CREDIT moi) since, I suppose, school has started. Ran into mother-daughter friends when I was on my way to our community garden, and they didn't have time to come scarf cherry tomatoes because school kids had to get home early. Seasons come, seasons go.

onebyone - Ouch for "one big stressball" punctuated by "a visible plume of acrid smelling smoke." Sounds like you should be practicing your British.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Oh Yes, that's a super NSV that you're walking hills easier; Kudos for all the wii workouts that made that possible. [One benefit of birding over botanizing is that we get to come in when it's raining, since birds stay sheltered during rain.]

Shepherdess - Yay for hilly day of the Beck thread, LOL. And Yay for “just doing it.”

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos, indeed, for "for noticing AND deciding not to continue" with the cake tasting. "40 jars of jam" seems like a workout.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for the loss of the stalactite, LOL. Yay for the human body having such a convoluted way of dealing with dehydration. New fall apples are difficult to resist. I find myself easily drifting off-plan for healthy foods - as if they didn't have calories, LOL. [hmmmm ... well, yes, I could attach ankle weights while trudging the sand dunes looking at shore birds, LOL.]

Marci (madrikh) - Good reminder to us all, "I am not my weight." Congrats for your first day of home schooling. Do you have a lesson plan and all that stuff?

MaryContrary - Kudos for rejecting guilt! Let this forum be a guilt free zone. Really impressive story about baking cookies without off-plan nibbling. The decision to do a small amount of cookie-dough sitting at the table is just stellar.

Carol (Starling) - Kudos for a TV-free evening - whatever it takes to get life under control. Sending good thoughts for dealing with being a night owl but, unfortunately, no suggestions since I'm a happy morning person. Yay for 6 am, LOL.

Nature Girl - Agile responses to the problems tossed your way yesterday - Kudos for keeping your focus despite the challenges. Just love it that no one seemed to notice that you were dining on tofu egg salad while they scarfed their BLT's.

Leonor - Yay for meal plans. I was almost embarrassed to discover how much I was helped by planning - something I know full well in my work, but had never thought about for eating. And Kudos for not even trying the pasta sauce. Glad you're here.

By-the-by, we're having Washington State blue berries right now. Kindly convey my gratitude to your local growers for sharing.

Readers -
Quote:
day 37
Reduce Stress

Three Steps to Lower Your Level of Stress

Lilian, for example, has a rule: I should always put other people first. Therefore, even though it was the busiest time of the year at work, she agreed to help her mother buy a computer, go with a friend to a concert, and help her cousin with gardening. Michael has an unspoken rule: I can't show any sign of weakness. Therefore, he didn't take time off from work when he had the flu (and it took him longer to recover). Suzanne also has a rule: I should do everything myself. Therefore, she deprived herself of the assistance she needed when her husband's chronic illness took a turn for the worse.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 245.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-09-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday night

Hi Coaches
I am still out here persevering. I have had a busy week and I have had computer issues. They were migrating (nice euphemism) our computers to a new system and my laptop which is docked at work and home didn't stand up to well. So a couple of evenings without a computer for this or for preparing classes. They sure do know how to create chaos - but for a good cause

We have a government - albeit potentially a bit dysfunctional. The unconventional woman won (not the only reason why one would vote for her)! Unfortunately we have a minority government in the lower house and similarly a minority in the upper house (of review) which means any serious decisions are unlikely to get made for quite a while. Hope I am wrong

I have been eating seriously on plan so credit! No junk food, no extra food, reading the list when I can. My teaching is about to reduce for a few weeks so may get rational again and get time for personals

Progress -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - No

- Made food plan - Yes
- Logged food soon after eating - Yes
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Ate seated every time - No - a few at the sink incidents
- Ate mindfully & slowly & put down fork occasionally - Yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - down - 206.5
- Read the Green Book - Yes
- Exercise - No!

Working on -
STILL putting exercise back on the agenda

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Just popping in. Been a couple of hard days behind me. I had a small bulimic episode brought on by stress and depression. I let it happen, accepted that it happened and have moved on from that and am back on plan. Will check in better later.
Closed Thread