Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #331  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today's challenge is a family potluck supper. A little extra challenging than normal because I usually bring a dish that I can eat in nearly unlimited quantities. But SiL requested Italian Bread Salad. I made that a lot several years ago but had quit in favor of similar salads that were all veggies. Oh well. I'll eat a small serving of that and a larger serving of any other veggie dishes, tiny servings of everything else, and no snacks.

WI: +0.1kg, Exercise: +30 1660/1800 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, maryann! The people on this thread are great diet coaches!

onebyone: great job avoiding treats in a challenge situation! So glad that you found a market neighbor doing the same -- that should help for the rest of the season. Hope you like Walk It Out!

Starling: your blank book sounds very cool. Great job finding a way that works for you for the Advantages and Responses. A number of us have had to find something other than cards.

AmberPr: How about an option c? Something like "I'm willing to lose weight slowly because I know that will help me keep it off permanently."

seadwaters: I recommend paper and pencil. And I love my computer. But planning and keeping track of food in a notebook is what worked for me. It made me accountable without going into the realm of too precise to be useful.

BillBlueEyes: good job on recognizing that half a brownie is half a brownie, not a pass to eat unlimited cookies. The stir-fry sounds yummy!

new2me2: sending healing thoughts your way!

MaryContrary: yay for choosing lentil soup and being happy with your decision!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #332  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up day 7/14 ~ 1/2 way through...

Good Morning Coaches

I just finished my 20 min Walk it Out workout. It was the first go at it. I never did do it yesterday as I had to rush over to my moms place to do some financial stuff and then we went out to buy her some craft kits so she won't be too bored where she is. After a busy day at the market selling, and then rushing home and cooking dinner, I didn't want to then go out where she is on the exact opposite end of the city. It was a good thing to do though. We had a good time and I left her in high spirits and today I can just stay put and get down to making the bulk of my sculptures for the festival on Saturday night. I think I'll just make all the arms and hands I need first, six in total, and then worry about the torsos and the one set of legs later. My greatest dream is to have three torsos and all the required arms complete before I go to bed tonight. And maybe the legs started. Maybe.

All of a sudden the financial gates have opened to me and I have three commissions plus the artist fee for my sculpture and lots of work hours at the school all adding up to an early September financial windfall for me. Finally. This has been the toughest seling year I've had in almost 19 years of doing this. I need to take advantage while I can. I can rest next week.

One curious thing: that forehead bump I told you about is now changing. My intuition tells me that the sweating/exercising may be the root of the small change I see. It looks to be deflating in the center and it's not so red. My market friend told me that exerising causes antibodies to go through your bloodstream That's not something I've ever connected to exercise, but then she added "It's increased circulation" and that made a bit of sense. I simply thought "It's my skin, and if I sweat it has to do something about that" - so I'd be forcing the bump to deal with the stuff skin has to deal with and that should do something and maybe it is. We'll see over time-at least until I an get an appt to see the dermatologist, either before, or on my Feb 3 appt date.

After I got home last night from my mom's, around 10pm, I ate offplan. My choice of offplan food was very mild: 4 fruit leathers and the rest of the cucumber tomato salad from dinner. I went offplan earlier too. I ate one plum at my mom's when we got back from shopping. These bouts of offplan food were conscious. The plum was a stress reaction/celebration at getting what needed to be done with my mom, done. And the food when I came home was more of the same. I have to add a credit here as the fruit leather was bought in the bulk food store where my mom bought candies and chocolates and I grabbed the leather as she was relentless in wanting me to get something and even though I knew she'd forget right away I DID want to get something so I got that and pretended I'd share some of the stuff she bought. I left all of the sweet stuff with her -5 candies for DH which I handed to him when I came in the door. It was after that we settled in to watch a movie and I wanted the leather and the salad.

Part of the urge was hunger, I was hungry, but I could have resisted and knew it. That I chose better credit is very good as there will certainly be other times when I find myself in that offplan boat. I'd feel better today if I had resisted but OH WELL. I need to come up with some kind of automatic go-to activity for those times when I feel irritation or relaxation/celebratory eating urges. I'd say I should write it down but I don't think I'll do that right now.
I need something to grab to occupy my mind. Maybe I should get a word search puzzle book or something. I need to change tracks in my head for a bit. Actually I could play mahjong on the laptop. Okay. I'll try that.

Wow. 11 already. Haven't made a thing.
Have a great Sunday.

credits
  1. weighed in: 271.6 +0.8lbs
  2. did 20 min Walk it Out & saved the results *phew*
  3. ate breakfast on plan
  4. lunch is planned
  5. dinner is planned
  6. ate sitting down and mindfully
Old 08-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #333  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning coaches! I'm down almost another pound today. I'm still at a loss to explain the loss...pretty sure I'm getting in enough calories, even on liquids--it should be close to 1200 calories and since I'm not very active at the moment that should be okay. I'd celebrate being at a new lowest weight if I thought it would hold, lol. Today's weight: 142.2

I did about 15 minutes of Walk It Out and about 15 minutes of tutorials/set up and then another 15 minutes of a beginner's workout in Gold's Gym Dance. That was a bit too much activity, lol, so then rested on the couch for the rest of the day.

The stuff on my left tonsils feels "hard" so I'm hoping it maybe is a little of the bone graft stuff the dentist put in to fill in the gaps where he pulled the tooth. I still don't have a sore throat, but I can definitely feel that back there.

ETA: Meant to say thank you for all the well wishes!

Last edited by new2me2; 08-29-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey everybody!

Yep, another Sunday. I'm happy to announce that I downloaded Lose it! for my ipod yesterday (Thank you to those of you who have mentioned it a few times.) I then proceeded to load in all of my picky snacks I consumed. OH MY WORD! I consumed 2,635 calories! (Thank goodness I got my exercise in.) I guess that just goes to show what can happen when you start dragging. It was good to look back at it- there were a few things I really didn't need (extras nuts and pizza the family made for dinner) and it was a reminder that those little choices really do make a big difference-- in this case a 900 calorie difference. That's the difference from losing and gaining-- those two unplanned choices. I'm excited about this tool as it allows me to put in my exercise too-- and it shows me what that is worth in calories. It also tracks me for the week, so even though I royally flubbed yesterday, it allows me the rest of the week to adjust and make up for it.

So far today, I'm on track for a really good eating & exercising day!

Seadwaters: I feel like I'm in the same place you're describing. My weight hasn't moved for a few weeks either. I'm wondering if it is a subconscious thing related to school starting next week. A leftover remnant that summer is ending…

Maryann: Welcome to the Beck Board!

BillBE: Wow, cookies! That is a tuff one. Great job!

Gardenerjoy: Have fun at the potluck! Sounds like a good plan for enjoying conservatively. Yes, option C is the best. When I'm thinking sane I know slowly equals permanently. Thank you for the vote of reason.

Onebyone: Congratulations on things going so well! I'm curious, do you ask for a deposit up front? As for that bump, I think you might want to get it checked out a little sooner. It sounds rather odd - the deflating an all… And GREAT JOB making healthy choices at the store. It's all the small things we do that add up to life style changes.

New2me2: WOW, that is a great loss! Enjoy it. Glad you are starting to feel better.

• Getting in my exercise
  • Ate well for breakfast and lunch and have a plan for dinner
  • Went shopping yesterday and have lots of fruits and veggies and stuff for planned meals
  • Cooked up a bunch of hamburger and will make a plan for healthy on plan meals this week
  • Set up my ipod with Lose It!

Last edited by AmberPr; 08-29-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #335  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Hi All,
I woke up this morning with my stomach grumbling and it's like there was this little voice in my head. "Well, the last 2 weeks have been an interesting experiment. But now I'm bored. Can we be done now?"

Kudos to you all for keeping at it. Another day, and another day, and another day...

onebyone
-- that's great about the 3 sculpture commissions! I don't know about you, but I tend to do "anxiety eating" when I have a creative project that's due soon (I'm in charge of a monthly newsletter). Good luck with your diet efforts as you throw yourself into this creative whirlwind!

BillBlueEyes -- (the very old quote) I was looking waaaaay back to see how the Beck forum got started!

AmberPr -- excellent quote
Quote:
That's the difference between losing and gaining -- those two unplanned choices.

MaryContrary
-- (what kind of scale?) I have an old analog one too. I used to have the kind where you slide the weights across a bar (similar to the kind in a dr's office). It was accurate to 1/4 lb. It wasn't good for me at all --my motivation went up and down with every tiny increment. So I sold that one. The one I have now, you can't even see the weight loss until it's about 3 lbs But it works for me

I read a good article today. Credit to me for continuing to learn!
Cool how so many of the ideas in the article fit in with BDFL.

Carole Carson -- Is Television Priming Us to be Fat?

Quote:
What do the movie "Inception," NFL Monday Night Football and the book "Blink" have in common?

All explore the emerging insights into the architecture of the mind--more specifically, the impact of priming. Priming refers to the subliminal messages our minds absorb at the unconscious level that trigger feelings, actions or both. When primed, we take in ideas that influence us without our awareness.

<snip>

In their research, adults were shown a comedy show. During the program, some subjects saw junk food ads while others were shown nonfood ads. The subjects who saw the junk food ads engaged in additional eating. When they were asked why they were eating, they said they were hungry. However, they didn't eat the advertised junk food; they ate whatever was available. The researchers concluded that the advertising primed them to eat--but not necessarily to eat a specific food―and concluded that "people were eating without awareness that the ads were causing them to eat."

Similarly, the children were shown a cartoon. During the cartoon, some children watched ads promoting junk food and others watched nonfood ads. The results were the same. The children who watched the junk food ads ate more of whatever food was handy.

<snip>

Keith-Thomas Ayoob, EdD, RD--an internationally known nutritionist and professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine--is not surprised that people who saw the food ads tended to eat more. However, he said, "What's interesting is that people didn't eat the advertised food--they ate what they had available."

<snip>

Eating in front of the television also leads to oversized portions since our attention is focused on the program, not on the food. So a handful of potato chips can quickly become an entire bag.

<snip>

We can also replace junk food ads with self-talk that promotes good health and appropriate eating. In terms of how our minds work, a background message is a background message, whether it comes from a television set or our own thoughts. Both leave indelible impressions. Once we are forewarned that a junk food ad can trigger an impulse to eat, we can counter its effect with self-talk. What all of these strategies have in common is a willingness to stay intentional about eating. "Paying attention can make each bite a choice rather than a reflexive response," says Megrette Fletcher, executive director of the Center for Mindful Eating. "You may love Oreos, but that doesn't mean you have to eat one every time it presents itself. If you stop and consider that next Oreo and how you're feeling, you may opt to skip it--or not. But at least it will have been a conscious choice."
Good evening all, and keep on keeping at it
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #336  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I just got in from my 15 m bike ride and am feeling happy and motivated. It's been a busy weekend and I need to catch up with everyone! *credit* for today was ordering reasonably when we stopped for lunch on our bike adventure….and , of course exercising! Yay!

BillBlueEyes, I'll tell you the secret...my DH won't ride his bike to the gym so he drives our car home...I have to lift my own bike off, though.
newbebop, good progress with the fair food. I'll never forget the first time I told my DH I wouldn't have one bite of the funnel cake. I sweetly apologized, and explained it to him….MIL's-probably not so easy to convince! Let's celebrate this coming week together! This was a rough one for me.
Beverlyjoy, Yay! for "good progress in getting back to food sanity".
maryann, I find these great folks to be super coaches...my DH doesn't want the job, either. I think this is a great spot to hang your hat and learn new habits as you confront your last 15 pounds.
MaryContrary, interesting that your friend was appalled at your throwing food away..it fits with the conversation we're having regarding sharing Beck principles with SO's. BTW-I have an inexpensive scale from Bed, Bath and Beyond which has the WW seal of approval. I like it but use an old fashioned Dr. type scale at my Athletic Club for my official weigh ins.
Cheryl (seadwaters), good for you evaluating your plan and making exercise adjustments. Congrats! on your latest dancer...and $$
gardenerjoy,ahh...potluck and Panzanella?? I just chuck most of the bread on DH's plate. Hope your evening was successful.
onebyone, for some reason I was thinking about your bump when I was on my bike today. Interesting that you report it changing. ..that it would respond to the healthy changes you are making is totally reasonable. Lots of credits! BTW I love MahJohng either on laptop or for real….the game section of 3FC helped me lots, too.
Donna (new2me2), thanks for checking in and I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. I think you could realistically keep your losses with a liquid diet...
AmberPr, I appreciated your list of healthy choices and your self evaluation. I'm thinking along the same lines and am grateful to be maintaining. Yay! for a good food day!
Carol (Starling), thx for the posts by Meg-and by Carol Carson. printing both out...and no, my DH isn't aware of the details of the Beck program. It's better I work it with others. Nice work with your new and fun blank notebook!

hope I didn't miss anyone....it isn't ever intentional!

Well, it was interesting to read all the discussion about losing slowly….getting closer to goal….. Just what I have been thinking about lately. 1/2 of my total loss had been over a 6 yr period...better choices and adding exercise. I lost another 1/2 in 1 year very closely following my plan and now I have successfully maintained for a year. I like my food plan and consider it to be a life change. I am thinking about the next step and am considering what my plan might be for the next 4 months. Thanks, everyone, for all the input. It has helped me lots today!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 08-30-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #337  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone,

I read your posts almost every night, so decided to start actually writing something.

I had a major win today. I found a terrific elliptical machine for sale through Craig's list. They were basically giving it away, and I was so happy to get it ! I lost most of my weight by going to a gym, but am now trying to save some fuel and exercise at home. I find I actually do more 'core' exercises when I'm alone than I was comfortable doing at the gym (example: push ups, leg lifts).

Do any of you feel that way too?

Woodland
Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #338  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A mundane day. Did walk to our community garden to harvest a bunch of tomatoes; CREDIT moi for savoring that task - being aware that the growing season will end. A neighboring gardener offered me Basil. I had to laugh; when you've got Basil, you've got more Basil than even making pesto can consume. Yay for Basil.

onebyone - Yay for the financial tides turning your way. Kudos for taking care of your mother when you were tired and short of time - some things in life are just that important.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Now that's a challenge - to bring Italian Bread Salad and try not to eat it. Hope you found enough veggies to be distracted.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Thanks for resolving the abandoned car dilemma, LOL. Oh yes, Double Kudos for being out on a bike and ordering reasonably.

Donna (new2me2) - Congrats on yet another pound. Maybe it's time for you to write your diet book: Lose a Tooth and Lose the Pounds. Sending more well wishes to keep a good thing going.

Woodland - Great find on that eliptical. I, too, have always felt a bit odd doing core exercises at the gym. Of late though, I've noticed a few other people doing them in public, so I'm feeling it less. The gym does seem like the place to grunt and heave, LOL.

Amber (AmberPr) - Ouch for facing "2,635 calories" - Kudos for acknowledging it so you can exercise options. Thanks for "little choices really do make a big difference" - it's easy for me to ignore that one.

Carol (Starling) - Thanks for the article with the insight that we respond to food suggestions even if not the advertised food. Wondering what that means when we see some hundreds of food advertisements every day. LOL at "But now I'm bored. Can we be done now?"

Readers -
Quote:
day 36
Believe It

To help change her perception of herself from someone who can't lose weight to someone who can lose weight, Brenda read the Response Card below every day for weeks. Use it for inspiration in creating your own card:
Believe It!

I'm losing weight because I've learned how. I now know:

1. What I have to do (e.g., plan my eating, eat slowly while sitting down, use anti-craving strategies)
  2. What I have to remind myself (e.g., hunger and cravings are never emergencies, NO CHOICE, Oh, well)
  3. How to motivate myself (get support, read my Advantages Response Card, give myself credit every day)
  4. How to keep honest (report my weight change to my diet coach weekly)
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 240.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-31-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #339  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday Night

Hi Coaches

Things are still a bit busy and I am trying to feel OK about not doing personals. Otherwise I won't check in and that is never good! I did read the green book last night and that was really useful - I want to keep that up. My weight is down again today which is always nice. An on plan day. Lexxiss - thanks for noticing the ticker and dancing icons - I couldn't wait till first Sunday of the month to change but I will probably change it next Sunday again [hopefully downwards!]

As to the scale I use - it is a digital Tanita as with Donna - and it measures body fat content etc. It too needs to stay in the only flat bit of the bathroom floor

Off to get organised for tomorrow

Progress -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - Yes
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise
behaviours - Yes
- Limit junk food to once per day - No junk food
- Made food plan - Yes
- Logged food soon after eating - No
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Ate seated every time - Yes
- Ate mindfully & slowly & put down fork occasionally - Sometimes
- Weighed myself - Yes - 209.6
- Read the Green Book - YES
- Exercise - Not yet - not looking hopeful as so late

Working on -
Surviving and reading the green book again tonight

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #340  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks, friends, coaches - I am just not handling stress well. Two months ago it seems I could. I am just struggling with what ever life is throwing at me in my old ways - food. But - I am determined to get through a good Beck day today. I've written down my food plan, checked in here, got out my arc/rc, got out my journal, brought out my Beck Book.

I got up this morning 'not caring' about even trying. But - I've worked through that - credit - and am ready to face the day with food in a sane manner.

This weekend I made roasted green beans. These are delicious and good hot or at room temperature. It's a good way to use the abundance of green beans this time of the year.

Is anyone else finding the 3fc moving really slowly when posting?
I'll come back for some personals in a bit.

Have a GREAT day. Treat yourself kindly.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #341  
Green Tomatoes

The entree for last night's potluck was fried chicken. Credit for splitting a breast with DH and leaving the skin. Extra credit for skipping dessert entirely, commercial white cake with white frosting. I usually take a tiny piece at these things as a way to be polite and to ward off feelings of deprivation, but, really, if it's not chocolate what's the point?

WI: -0.85kg (new low), Exercise: +30 1690/1800 minutes for August, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: yep, 3FC is slow -- there's a thread about it in the support section but reporting it hasn't helped so far. Some people seem to think its the Target SoyJoy ad.
You have a lot to deal with! You deserve lots of credit for beating your path back to Beck at this time. Yum! Roasted green beans. There was apparently widespread crop failure around here so we didn't get nearly the amount of green beans we normally get in the summer.

seadwaters: I'm usually good about personals, but our little corner of the Web here is really active recently. It's great! But I find I'm having to be content with reading everything and responding to none or a handful. On weekdays, I'm aiming to do personals for the three above me but on busy mornings I'll do nothing but my report. On weekends when both the thread and my life slow down a little, I'm trying to do them all.
Yay for the downtic in weight!

BillBlueEyes: LOL at being offered basil. A farmer at the market tried to sell me some a few weeks ago. I said "I grow it" and he said "Oh, never mind!" I used a lot of my basil that was left from the pesto-making frenzy last week in that Italian Bread Salad. I still prefer my version of Italian Bread Salad that substitutes roasted green beans for the bread, though.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #342  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

LOL Bill!!! Well, maybe I SHOULD write a book, because I lost ANOTHER pound this morning. I'm down to 141.2. Is anyone else slightly alarmed by that as I am, lol. I am still planning to call my dentist today...pretty sure I'm going to need a root canal on the other side of my mouth, but, gosh, can't imagine they could do that NOW, but I'll see what my dentist says. If he doesn't have an answer for the white stuff on my tonsils, then I'll also call my regular physician. Just when I was getting some money saved!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #343  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone. This Monday lives up to its name with regard to my diet. I feel overwhelmed, depressed, deflated, a failure, ashamed. And this is just what comes to mind before I think about it.

I do not feel like I am accountable. I don't feel like I'm doing things right and clearly I'm not b/c the weight keeps going up not down. I'm irritated with the fluctuations. I don't want to talk to you (Beckies) unless I have something positive to report. I feel self-obsessed. I feel like taking the weight off and working out and cooking is overwhelming and annoying and .... I want to magically be thin. I want to whine about it. I want to kick something (but only metaphorically b/c otherwise it would be exercise).

I read my response cards this morning for the 1st time in a while. So many sabotaging thoughts I have every day. i make so many excuses. I don't have anyone to be accountable to other than y'all. No one else cares to deal with me daily on this issue until I get myself under control. and typing is not making me accountable enough. It is helping so don't think I don't appreciate every one of you.

I really want this. I don't want excuses any more. I feel like getting up at 6:15 and not getting home until 6:30 with a 2 year old is ridiculous and makes me feel like a bad mom. I know that you all read my analogy about laundry but it's really a problem for me. It's so hard to keep at it and keep at it.

I am not a baby and I am not a complainer. I went to some life training classes a year ago that changed my life completely but not in an instant. they enlightened me and it has taken a year for me to see all the ways I have changed from it. Now I need to accept Beck's approach and practice my food enlightened ways. As one of you said, I need to trust that it works. But I also need to do it - every day. Just writing it makes me feel tired.

I hope I don't sound pathetic. I find all of you inspiring and helpful in so many ways. (when I take the time to log in). I think I also need a daily coach for a few months so I can get through some of these tough days. I really don't have anyone to fill that role. any suggestions? I don't want my bf and he doesn't want to do it either. I tried my friend but she gives in too easily and says, yea, that's life. and more importantly, is this just another excuse for my own lack of staying with it and resisting the bad foods? the "if I only had X, I could/would do Y" issue? I think it is to some extent.

sorry for the long rant.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #344  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Cool Warm up is over . . . time to get to it!

Okay, this mantra in my head is applying more to my dissertation than to the Beck Diet . . . Although . . . ::thinking for a minute:: Perhaps I'm feeling this way about Beck Stage One Skills, too. I am ready to crack down and finally complete ALL the skills, every day, for at least 7 days in a row. Not that I want to be a perfectionist, but it seems that mastering this stage is utterly important. Last night I "graded" my completion of the success skills: 5 3/4 out of 10. I'm going to go back through the food plans/journal, grade them all, and note any patterns.

Thanks to everyone for responding about the scale. I keep asking the DP to measure me, and she keeps falling asleep before we get around to it . . . I forgive her, however, because she's working 2 jobs and raising a teenager and trying to get herself into shape. But this is why I need to get that scale!

My weekend plan went . . . okay . . . credit to me for exercising on both days! Saturday was remarkably on-plan, and I must give myself more credit for resisting taking a 2nd helping of tofu, green beans, and brown rice. Lordy, was that hard! Even more credit for resisting munching when I was putting away the leftovers. I realize that eating while cooking and eating while cleaning up is a major issue of mine, and I have consciously worked on putting it down. Thanks to starling for the funny and vivid reminder, which I have in my head every time I'm in the kitchen.

There seems to be a lot of pain in the recent posts, pain and struggles that I want to address, with words that hopefully translate into hugs.

Beverlyjoy, I applaud you for your determination! I am sorry to hear about all the stress, but I think it's amazing that you can connect the stress to sabotaging emotions. I also applaud you for returning to the basics, to those original Beck materials. You give us all a reminder to do the same, even when we have good days. BE sure to give yourself this credit, and treat yourself as kindly as you urge us to.

Houston2Command, NEVER apologize for ranting. That's what we're here for!!! I think you've done an amazing thing, to admit that you have trouble writing to the forum when things are not going well. I'm very new to this forum, but last week I had to encounter this fear, too: that somehow y'all would judge me for my failures, if I wrote about them. So I voiced it here, and now I feel like it is a duty to myself to voice these feelings. So major credit to you for voicing all this struggle and pain!!! As for a daily coach, I recommend NOT going with anyone in your personal range, because too many emotions are already bound up in those interactions. What about finding a daily Diet Buddy, someone to connect with beyond this forum? Someone with whom you cannot be anonymous, someone who will bug you until you respond? I think it's important for you to feel these feelings, and to voice them -- but give yourself some credit, too!

Okay -- I must get to the library, but I wish you all a wonderful day!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #345  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi…I have a bit of time now. So, I thought I’d do some personals. This can be as helpful to me as it can be for the folks to which I speak.

Mary contrary - I admire your seven day plan. Remember to always plan for the future but take it all a day at a time. As much as I hate to admit it (for my journey)…the scale has it’s merit in all this, too. It has taken me a long time to learn that. Credit for not taking seconds - especially on the healthy things! My scale is a really old spring type scale I've had for maybe twenty years. It's pretty close to the doctor's. I cannot, however, know if I lose 2 ounces and that. (probably a GOOD thing for me - I'd become obsessive)

Houston - I agree…it’s hard to come here and say we/you are struggling and can’t be positive. But - coming and being honest is a way of reaching out. There’s no judgment - we have all been in that frame of mind at some time. Time to do all this ‘stuff’ is tricky. Fitting it in will help so much - as always do the best you can.

New2me2 - gosh, I hope your tonsils aren’t infected (might be, though). - and they can figure it out. I am glad you are seeing the scale go down. Always better to be down than up. LOL

gardener joy - major credit for NOT eating chicken skin and cake, etc. Sorry to hear of your green bean blight. Good job on reading arc/rc!

Seadwaters - we can only do personals when time (or inclination) permits. It’s all OK, I think. Happy smiling scale day. NO junk food - yippee for you.

Billbe - good to get the walk to the garden and some basil too. Fun to have these fresh thing at harvest time from the garden.

Woodland - hooray for an almost free elliptical! It will be nice to be able to workout at home and save fuel and have it so available.!

Lexxiss - credit for that terrific bike ride! You have had wonderful progress in your program and plan and should feel very proud.

Starling - you said - It’s my ‘fantasy’ too that I’ve done this a while now - ‘are we done yet? “ too. Good article - subliminal cues are very effective in getting us to eat more. Ugh.

Amberpr - I agree that keeping track of food can be a huge eye opening experience. Many credits….it’s heading you in a good direction!

Onebyone - many credits and good choices. Wonderful. I am happy for your many art commissions.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Closed Thread