3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution August 2010 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #136

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all! Another on-plan day yesterday! I think my WW weigh in will be a good one today, lol.

Exercise was 45 minutes of WIO. Tonight I'm planning on an exercise DVD but haven't decided yet which one. I ordered a new set called TurboFire...it looks tough but fun.

Mikkijoe WOW, $1000 of groceries! Wow, lol. I have a hard time just with what I get for me. I know what you mean about work and vacations...it never fails that when I go on vacation, they try to work me to death the days before.

Houston2Command Nothing to cause shame that I read...you have eaten mostly correctly and on plan, that's very good!!! Ouch on the drinks though, lol. That could cause water retention for sure! The exercise...that will fall into place too! But, Yikes on the front door! That's a bit scarey!

madrikh Wow, what a huge credit to stop drinking your smoothie and finish when you had time to enjoy it. That's amazing!

Alma4343 Nothing to report can be good too, lol! LOL, the WW weigh ins ARE stressful. We have a large group of women, and believe me, if we could draw the blinds, I think we might have some interesting weigh-ins, lol.

maryblu Wow, Gallagher! Even *I* know who he is, lol.

Shepherdess Good luck and strong muscles for your marathon!

CeeJay Yay and major credit for staying on plan in a hotel!!!

seadwaters Fasting for 31 days, all day?! Wow. I don't think I'll ever complain about missing a meal again, lol! The longest I've gone without food was for my major surgery in 2008...I had to fast for two days before, then couldn't eat after for 7 days. Now, that I'm thinking about that, I wasn't really as hungry as I thought I would be. The first two days before were actually the hardest...after that I don't remember feeling hunger.

AmberPr Yay on that scale moving downward!! LOL on planned outbursts!

BillBlueEyes I usually have Dove Dark Chocolate with Almonds, but someone brought me some Belgium chocolate (from Belgium, lol), so I've been having that instead.

newbebop The planning is still hard for me, even after all this time. I write it down, but still have problems sticking to that strictly.

onebyone YAY for being back in the game!! Congratulations on maintaining that 10 pound loss and for having a great checkup! WW focuses on small goals like that. Our first goal was only 5% of our body weight, the next one is another 5%. Hope they can determine what that bump is quickly!

gardenerjoy Ouch on the lethargy, but yay for a mostly on plan day!!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #137

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

hey everyone. thanks for all the great comments. I got lots of laughs and smiles from your comments.

Credit to the group for being such good coaches & supporters!!!

so day 2 of the crazy party week is now behind me. My friend and I both "fought" to see who would eat less of the chicken pizza we ordered. it was seriously the smallest pizza ever and I had 3 slices and she had 2 which left half the pizza uneaten and we both left it on the table. With no exaggeration, I would have easily eaten that whole pizza just 3 months ago in the privacy of my home. so crazy to think of that.

so although pizza and 3 drinks were not on plan, they are not part of my routine and my mindset is still in the "losing" game.

so happy hour with clients today to get through and tomorrow I have to be in class all day and packing a lunch may not be in the cards but I will strengthen my out to eat and still eat right muscle.

At this point, I'm actually excited to go back to the gym next week. I feel bleh!

good job to everyone just for being here and sticking with it! Have a fabulous weekend!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #138
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Just popping in to say that you fast during the day during Ramadan but eat after nightfall. And pregnant women and children are exempt. I gather dates are a good food to break the fast with.

Not very Beckian here. When there's next to no time in the schedule things tend to slip. Not badly but they slip to a point where I definitely don't lose weight. And therein lies the problem.

Last edited by silverbirch : 08-13-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #139

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

So I got on the scale today –not my official weigh in. BUT I have a 5 pound loss already. I am also keeping in mind that I went from a low cal, low fat diet with plenty of water into the Primal diet with plenty of water….so I am not considering that to be all water weight. I am counting it as ‘fat be gone!’ Daughter has lost at least 6 and DH at least 9!

But my official weigh will be this weekend. I may even have some additional water weight since I ripped my shoulder (torn ligaments and muscle) and I have some inflammation. But none the less. I am wearing my sling and it is helping a little with the pain. Hard not to use my right arm.

Super busy this weekend planning for our trip. We had a short night last night, we all got up at 2am and drove about half an hour to the bass of the pass over the cascades (in order to get away from city lights) to watch the sky show! It was fantastic. We got back home about 4am, and I went back to bed for a bit, then got up for work.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #140
AnneofGreenGables

S/C/G: 247/247/198

Height: 5'6"

Default Joining in

Hi! I'm a fan of the Beck plan, too. I think it's the solution to my long battle with weight issues. It's hard to change one's mindset, but that doesn't mean I should give up! I'm looking forward to offering and receiving ideas and support on this forum.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #141

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default This is *so Beckian

D'ya like my new term, Beckies? Beckian.

Listen to this, from my second most admired, listened-to, in-awe-of Fat Chick. (any guess on who my first might be???)

This is from Rockin' Robin:
\
"It's more than that I was ABLE to stick to my plan - it's that I was WILLING to. Of course we're all able to. We DO have the ability to, we are more than CAPABLE of it - but it is a choice. You have to be willing to. By saying that you are unable to - you take away the power. Don't ever forget that you DO have the control over this. No one forces you to eat that cake and drink that beer. You make a conscious effort to do so, and if you like, you can make a conscious effort to NOT do so. Your choice, your doing. You. You. You."

How Beckian is *that????
Old 08-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #142

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Bill, I drink a smoothie for breakfast 3 or 4 times a week. I use it as a way to get in fresh produce, but because I have IBS I can't drink one daily. Today's was almond milk, banana, flax seed meal and a spoon of cocoa powder.

Marci
Old 08-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #143
in development

Height: 5' 6"

maryblu! You and I are kindredly Beckian in coining this term (see my post above)!

If we have such great minds thinking alike, we should be able to buckle down. Just do it, in fact.

Beck on, brothers and sisters!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #144
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Default Friday the 13th

It's been a good day! Food OP and exercise as scheduled, plus 60 minutes of spontaneous exercise this afternoon as I headed out for a bus and shop. I haven't done any reading today so will commit to sit down with "Nourishing Wisdom", by Marc David.

gardenerjoy, congrats! on your being in synch with your drivers license....and joining the "eating one tomato from the garden while standing up" club.
BillBlueEyes, Yay for tomatoes and knowing that dessert doesn't go with lunch. Tonight it's dinner-fresh from the garden!
Donna (new2me2), hope your weigh in was satisfactory!
Mikkijoe, congrats! on finding WL with your new food plan!
FutureFitChick,
Houston2Command, I hope you are strengthening your muscle.
Marci (madrikh), I took the Believe It Chart from the workbook; Day 36. It reminds me that I have lost weight because I have done THESE things-and also reminds me what I need to work on.
Alma4343, Nice ticker! not much going on days are great times for me to plan.
maryblu, very Beckian! Yay Rockin Robin! Glad you enjoyed the light show.
Shepherdess, Best wishes for your marathon!
CeeJay, Great news!
Cheryl (seadwaters), I hope you're finding success in "getting serious".
AmberPr, great job not taking your fluxuations too personally. Glad it's coming down.
newbebop, day14/15 is hard for me, too. I do find that I follow my plan much better when I just do it!
onebyone, thanks for sharing your good news! It was just that news that really got me motivated. I knew it wasn't going to last forever. Glad you've found a small space to clear.
silverbirch, best of wishes for your fasting.
AnneofGreenGables, This is a great coaching group!

Well, it's time to have dinner and read from my book. Take care everyone!

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #145

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone,

Had an interesting day today. It started at about 1:30 this morning. I awoke to my dog (a shepherd, rottweiler, collie mix) growling and barking out of my 2nd story bedroom. I had left my window open to cool off the bedroom and she had smelt/see something out the window. Something more then a bunny or a deer. As I woke up from a deep sleep, I watched my dog leap out of my window - pushing out the screen as she went.

She seems to be fine. No limping, no blood. We think it was a bear.

Eating wasn't the best today. Not crazy, but not how it should be to lose weight. Need to go shopping and plan the weekend....

Catchup with ya all later! Good Night!

Goal #1: 193 by September 30 (199/193/193) - achieved 9-30-10
Goal 2: 187 by October 30 (193/193/187)
Old 08-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #146

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday

Hi Coaches

Just to correct what I said yesterday - the fasting period for Ramadan is a lunar month which is 28 days - still a long time! And when I said fast all day I mean they can eat before dawn and after sunset. So vaguely like the hunger experiment for 28 days!

I seem to be struggling at the moment - even ate bread yesterday which is definitely not on-plan and today is not so on-plan either. When I get to this point finding a new diet often helps with the enthusiasm but the trouble is I need to reorganise foodstuffs to change plans which means the next week is a danger period as I have the sabotaging thought that it doesn't matter what I eat because I am starting a NEW diet soon. I need a severe talking to

AmberPr - Startling way to wake up! Just a little bear wandering past...
Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope you got in some quality reading time - that book looks interesting. Yay for a good day
Donna (new2me2) - Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow
Gardenerjoy - Credit for your usual well planned day that includes exercise regardless of how you feel about it. That is the type of routine and commitment that I need.
Mikkijoe - Yay for the weight loss. I have been doing a more-or-less Primal diet. I actually ordered the book when Borders had an online sale so it should arrive next week. But it is clear enough to follow from the website. And it has good results for me - when I follow it of course. Hope your shoulder heals - the light show sounds spectacular and worth getting up for
Newbebop - A great realisation early on - that what you eat is what you planned to eat - only. Took me a long while to get that and understand why it was important
Onebyone - I am pleased for you that the results of your physical was so positive - and that working on your weight will solve any other issues. Hope you get into a dermatologist soon. Sending energy for the decluttering

Progress -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - No - but will!
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise
behaviours - No
- Limit junk food to once per day - No
- Made food plan - Yes
- Logged food soon after eating - No
- Food on-plan - No
- Ate seated every time - Yes
- Ate mindfully & slowly & put down fork occasionally - No
- Weighed myself - Yes
- Exercise - no

Working on -
Eating on plan

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Short Term Goal

Last edited by GosfordGirl : 08-14-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #147

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome AnneofGreenGables

AnneofGreenGables

And, even though you've been on 3FC for nearly two and a half years now,

How did you find out about Dr. Beck's books?

And how did you find the Beck Forum on 3FC?
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 08-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #148

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Apparently I'm a failure as a gardener. After declaring that the cukes were done - no more on the vines - DW went with me to the garden yesterday after dinner and picked 10 monster cukes. Ooooops. The little buggers hide well. Gazpacho's coming for a few days, LOL. Food and exercise were on-plan; CREDIT moi.

Beckian maryblu - "If we dump anti-freeze down the drains why are we surprised the poles are melting? Duh!".

onebyone - Congrats on the excellent results from your physical; that's so encouraging to know that you're healthy. Wishing you the best getting to see a dermatologist. I just assumed that I was dying when I had something growing on my forehead. My dermatologist laughed, sliced it off with a razor, and sent me off with a band aid. Hope sales pick up for you.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for confronting "lethargy" - trips do seem to require recovery time.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Ouch for your struggles, with Kudos for responding to them with a change in direction. Good luck with the transition to keep your mind from wandering into the it-doesn't-matter Sabotaging Thoughts. Neat to remember that observant Muslims do the Beck hunger experiment for 28 straight days during Ramadan.

Beckian silverbirch - Ouch for way too busy - hoping you find some relief soon.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for spontaneous exercise.

Donna (new2me2) - "TurboFire" sounds like a real workout - at least by its name. I join those who believe that dark chocolate is good for you.

Houston2Command - LOL at fighting to see who eats the less; now that's the kind of friend to dine with.

Amber (AmberPr) - Good grief! A dog jumping out of a second floor window - through the screen no less. Wonder what it would have done if it met up with the bear?

Mikkijoe - Congrats on your 5 pound loss. What a hoot to take a midnight ride out of the city to see the Perseid meteor showers.

newbebop - Interesting to observe that you can be busy enough that you could not eat all day. That happens often to my DW when she's working on her garden. And Yep, your eating plan has to have some general guidelines for restaurants and eating with friends. Beck, herself, allocates an extra 10% of calories for these occasions - I'm more generous for myself since I'm more worried about a BIG binge than overeating.

Marci (madrikh) - Getting your produce from morning smoothies sounds like a good strategy. Your recipe looks nutritious.

AnneofGreenGables - Yep, the Beck strategies work to change our mindset. Sounds like you're right on track already.

Readers -
Quote:
day 34
Solve Problems

Identify the Problem

"What should I do now?" will help you solve the problem. Think of various solutions. Weigh the pros and cons of each. Pick one solution to try and see how it works, just like Dena, a dieter I counseled, did.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 232.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #149
finding herself

S/C/G: 222/222/175

I am really enjoying reading here each day as part of my motivation. I have enjoyed the stories and can share the feeling from some of your struggles. I hope to post more directly next week now that I am getting more of the hang of this.

Yesterdays victory. I just let go and had some fun with my youngest son. I took him to the beach, which = swimsuit. Then instead of hiding in my chair he begged me to build a castle with him. So I sat right at the waters edge, at a crowded beach (in some very unflattering positions I am sure) in just my suit and built a huge sandcastle with my 6yo. Then with some resistance I also accepted his request for some catch and we stood in the water and tosses a ball for at least 20 minutes. and it was FUN!

My goal today is to "get over it" and sit down and write out my eating plan for the tomorrow.

Last edited by newbebop : 08-14-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling ;-)
Old 08-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #150

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

We leave this AM for Spearfish, SD and by this time tomorrow, I will be starting my marathon.

Eating was not so great yesterday. No plan. Not having a plan has been working pretty well lately because I have so many meals that I can just grab and not have to think about. That works fine when Im out of the house and busy, but is a disaster when Im working at home all day. Gotta remember that home-days need to be much more disciplined. . .

CeeJay, great job doing stellar at the hotel! Heres to a weekend with more of the same.

Seadwaters, thanks for your thoughts on Ramadan. I love religious rituals regarding food (or religious rituals of any kind!). Its a great reminder that what and how we eat is not a trivial matter. Its always hard to deal with flagging enthusiasm for your diet. In the Green Book, Beck suggests keeping a memory box. You make a card for every diet victory and then review them when you lose motivation. It might help to look back over the past and see how well your diet has worked for you so far.

AmberPr, LOL at planning your outbursts! Great job getting back on track after a slip and making up for it later in the day. It should be a natural reaction, but its so interesting that so many of us let one slip lead to another. Yikes for your dog leaping out the window to chase a bear. Glad shes OK.

BillBE, it must be a sign of a significant change in mindset that you miss your man salad. You didnt miss the decadent dessert, just the raw veggies. Thats amazing. Love those hidden cukes. The vines that just keep giving.

Newbebop, there are times when planning exactly what you are going to eat is not possible and in those cases its a good idea to just have some good rules to follow. Sticking rigidly to a plan can be so helpful. Ive been rebelling against it lately, but should do more of it.

Onebyone, yay for getting back in the game! Focusing on 10% at a time sounds like a good strategy. They are manageable chunks and each 10% comes with significant health benefits. Its great news about your bloodwork results. You dont need any more stress in your life!

Gardenerjoy, great job kicking that post-trip lethargy and getting that exercise ticker counting again!

New2me2, yay for a good WW weigh in and for all that hard work paying off!

Houston2Command, great job leaving pizza on the table and for having your head in the losing game.

SilverBirch, any thoughts on why dates are a good food to break a fast? Just wondering if it is practical or religiously significant. Youre right that planning is key. Why is it so hard to do?

Mikkijo, congrats on 5 lbs gone and for taking your family with you! The light show sounds lovely! Ouch for torn ligaments. Hope they mend soon.

Welcome AnneofGreenGables! I love those movies. Changing our mindsets is never easy, but it helps to have good support. This is a great place for that.

Maryblu, I love that Beckian quote (and the new term you coined). I have to remember that when I slip up that it was conscious. No mysterious powers out there, just me and an unwillingness to stay OP.

Lexxiss, yay for a good day and for 60 min of spontaneous exercise.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.