Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 07:41 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2024 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 02-01-2024, 07:42 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Mrs William Astor invites 400 guests to a grand ball at her mansion (1892)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Excitement was picking up the (8 yo) DGD from First Grade. She proudly told us that she's now into the second illustrated Harry Potter book. DW tried to fish out of her how she read the big words. The names aren't a problem since she knows all the characters. They do teach her how to break apart a long word and try to pronounce each bit. DW is in a panic that she might get stuck in one of the schools around here that fervently believe that the only way to learn to read is to read each whole word at a time. Helped by looking at the accompanying picture. Maybe. I'm a bit old fashioned about how to learn to read. I shudder when I read vignettes of high school graduates who can't read well enough to work even simple jobs.

Always fun to go to the library, especially with two books to pick up. One was yet another book about silver - the last of the four; each book I've seen takes a different look so I've not swamped with redundancy. They're quick reading for what I want to get from them. I learned that there are people on the planet with collections of silver - large collections. They either live in large mansions or entertain crowds for formal sit down dinners. I'm not interested in silver trays, teapots, nut crackers, or tea strainers - just place settings. I did get to climb the stairs at the library for a touch of extra exercise. CREDIT moi even though small.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, because my plan was to get takeout since DW was going to an event that would have food. Chose a 'plate' from a local Lebanese place with great hummus, falafel, tabouli, and beef kafta, which I had. There was enough salad to make it feel healthy. I brought my own bag and prevented them from adding plastic utensils and paper napkins so that there was slightly less waste than most takeout. Don't know why their kafta is so much better than an everyday hamburger, but it's a treat.

onebyone - Continue to send support for finding a comfortable way to sleep. Discounted pastries are dangerous for me because they come in under my radar.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for family drama that also butts up against the law. I do admire your attempt to keep going in a sane manner instead of eating about it.

Silverbirch - This is beyond the beyond to comprehend, "the soap container matches the curtains." You are so over the top. Ouch for having to tell folks that ESPN not only isn't silver, it isn't much in demand on the current market. Some of the nicest flatware I've seen is that Nickel silver or even just stainless steel.

maryann – Congrats for drawing the line at chocolate covered - it's like an invitation to the slippery slope. Thanks for, "Every meal does not have to be mesmerizing or perfect. It is just food. A good lesson."

curlyjax - Congrats for thinking ahead to get snow plowing set up before your upcoming surgery. Trader Joe's frozen chocolate covered strawberries have the devious aura that they must be good for you.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Stage 5 - The Motivation-for-Life Plan
The following techniques will help you remember why it's so worth it to keep up your efforts.

Go back to Phase 1. Remind yourself how easy it had become to practice these skills. Return to implementing them daily: . . .

4. Make an effort to eat more meals at home for a couple of days or weeks so that you know exactly what you're eating and are not taking in any "hidden" calories.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 200.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Yesterday at 8:45 am, the exterminator place called to say the tech called out and could we reschedule. I was not pleased but oh well. So I am waiting again today in the between 8-10 time frame. And then the furnace guy is coming at some point between 10-2 to check on a new noise; in theory he will be calling 15 minutes before he gets here as I informed the oil place I live close by and can't stay at home for four hours waiting. In a perfect world they'll overlap. Thank goodness I have some flexibility with my job.
Eating wasn't good but I managed to go to bed a little hungry. Productivity of the day was finding a snowplow guy who lives near me and is quite reasonable with his rates. He also does spring clean ups so I may hire him to do some of that. I feel quite relieved. Had some good interactions at work with the town nurse who I have gotten to know and enjoy. She's from the Caribbean and is very calm. We've bonded on some of our "interesting" clients.
I may be going out to eat with a friend tonight but have no idea where. I will bring my lunch and eat only that, so at least I won't overdo it there.
Silverbirch-I ate cheesy eggs yesterday and was full for quite some time, good idea. I hate those meeces too! I get off track when I don't do regular meals too.
Maryann-I fall into those rabbit holes too of wasting time on phone or internet. Different flavored walnuts sound intriguing.
Gardenerjoy-great reminder that food doesn't fix fear. Your niece is so lucky to have you on her team.
Bill-ooh, Lebanese food is so good. It's fun to go to the Newport mansions and see the elaborate table settings with all the proper silverware- I guess that's the type of folks that have it.
Onebyone- I'm wondering if they're thinking your body needs all its energy to deal with the treatment, and thus shouldn't be in reducing calorie mode? It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy February!

OP except for a Cheetos. it was not a sweet but a UPF. I solve the rest of the day by eating extra salad. Credit. Stretches for 15 mins. credit. I need to hit the gym today.

Today we are working on Evaluating Historical Photographs. I took a picture of the class and they have to be a historian in the future and "uncover" what life might have been like in 2024 America. Then we will look at Civil War Gardner photos.

BBE: I don't know if it is a comfort or sad but the vast majority of students have multiple interventions over the years to get to a functional literacy. Of the ones that can't either have a severe learning disability ( a smaller percentages) or VERY troubled home lives. Truancy and permissive parenting are the major factors. If a kids makes it to school, we can teach them to read. If they don't we can't.
Curly: I am all for paying for services.
Joy: In the program we encourgage people to put pen to paper to write about the fear. Not to wallow, just for clarity and to see our own part in the what ever is distrubing. The only thing we have control over is our part.
Silverbirch: You had a cake and I had a manufactured chip ( which I never no.) Neither solve a problem. Drat!
Old 02-01-2024, 02:48 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't meet my exercise goal in January, but given that I had a cold for about a week and dealt with some very cold weather, I'm pretty happy with where I ended up.

I did maintain my daily exercise streak. I also completed each day of Yoga With Adriene's annual 30-day program. Yesterday was fun. She turned off the microphone and invited us to guide ourselves through a 25-minute yoga routine. I was not at all sure that I could do that, but it turned out that I could, and it gave me a delicious boost of confidence!

Exercise: 60, 1680/1800 minutes for January
Old 02-01-2024, 03:50 PM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Thursday

I felt the benefit of going to the gymn yesterday. I’m moving quite well and have much more energy than recently. Amazing. I also slept late which was a surprise. My insides are still out of sorts after yesterday’s change of routine and I haven’t eaten particularly well today. But the weather was mild and sunny from time to time so I was able to be in the garden and working out how to fit things into the car for our next sortie. Cleaning still looms but first things first. Credit for that.

onebyone, thanks for saying “I’ve put it behind me”. In fact, credit! It’s a useful phrase for me to learn.

Bill, always credit for taking the stairs. Laughing at your opinion of my being “so over the top”. I think some of my friends and family would agree but not at all in the area of interior design! This staging carry-on is strictly for selling houses.

curlyjax, having a job with flexibility counts for a lot! Credit for finding the snowplow guy who could also do some spring clean-up for you.

maryann, credit for stretching and credit for hoping to get to the gymn.

gardenerjoy, yoga sounds good! Credit for guiding yourself through the routine. 25 minutes is quite long!
Old 02-02-2024, 06:11 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Groundhog Day (since 1887, Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Great fun was finding an error in the answers to Exercises in the back of the text book about Neural Networks being used for my upcoming course in Artificial Intelligence. I had avoided doing the Exercise because it was more math than I could do trivially and I didn't have my computer from days of working with MATLAB that'd I'd have used then. Then remembered that Excel does a bunch of heavy lifting. Typed it in; the answer made sense and was exactly double the answer in the book. In a few email exchanges, the author of the book acknowledged the error - it had been fixed in the edition that he uses. Maybe my brain is still working.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. I served myself a modest portion of dinner. Enjoyed the sauteed fresh spinach and my big green salad. All normal.

Long discussion and show and tell with DW about her new pair of house shoes. They have serious arch support - just what she needs to relieve her tendinitis. She has serious arch support in all her outdoor shoes but indoor shoes have always been just whatever was cheap when she needed something. They weren't taken seriously. During the COVID-19 period and during foul weather, house shoes were worn for more hours. These are helping her. They came with three different inserts to be used in various combinations as well as an adjustment on the shoe itself. She says they feel great. Oddly enough, they're rather smart looking. A win.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - That's a bunch of yoga, thirty days is. Pretty neat that you can lead yourself for 25 minutes.

Silverbirch - Yay for a little garden time even here in the middle of winter.

maryann – Powerful statement, "If a kids makes it to school, we can teach them to read. If they don't we can't." Makes sense. Such fun to have kids evaluate their own photograph to get into the idea of evaluating historical photographs.

curlyjax - No, it isn't reasonable that you be required to reserve a four-hour window to be at home for a tradesman to arrive willy-nilly. But neat that you managed to arrange for two to overlap - even if it didn't happen. Super Congrats for finding a snow plowing guy who might also be a handyman for later.

Readers -
Quote:
The following techniques will help you remember why it's so worth it to keep up your efforts.

Go back to Phase 1. Remind yourself how easy it had become to practice these skills. Return to implementing them daily: . . .

5. If you stopped weighing yourself, get back on the scale every morning! Graph your weight again until it comes back down.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:46 AM   #8  

The exterminator came and couldn't find any new holes, so they're sending a different tech out next week to look at the outside of the house again. I'm quite impressed how thorough they are being. I haven't heard any mice sounds for 2 days anyhow. I went off to work and the tech finally came at end of the 2:00 slot, so that worked out well. He replaced 2 things and the furnace is much quieter now. I was feeling a bit bleah so I took a nap, then went to dinner with a friend. We did girl scouts together years ago and it was fun to catch up. I brought DD home some dinner plus a deconstructed brownie sundae-during the pandemic, restaurants clearly got creative with to go orders. DD has been feeling a bit bleah too so maybe there's something going around. I'm just working on maintaining at this point but at least I brought some dinner home.
Bill-great job, your brain is indeed working! Wow, those are some shoes with 3 inserts, they sound fabulous.
Silverbirch-yay for benefits of the gym being felt.
Gardenerjoy-great job with daily exercise streak met.
Maryann-excellent idea to get extra greens in.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:52 AM   #9  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default another adjustment to make

Hi Coaches

Today I go to Sunnybrook to have a port installed in my body. I told DH, "I'm giving my body over to science."

A port is a rubbery disc+tubing implanted under the skin near my collarbone to facilitate the delivery of IV drugs (immunotherapy) and to take blood from for blood tests.

Its supposed to take 30min for the actual insertion. I am not happy to have this done. But nurses always have a tough time finding my elusive veins. I'll be having many more infusions as the months go on so this port can make it easier on me and the nurses to get done what needs to be done. It's also not forever.

Sleeping with it is a thing though. For sure I will be on the couch this weekend while I heal. I'll figure it out.

I slept badly last night. I was really itchy yesterday. My hands are especially affected.I couldnt really make a fist with my hands as the base of my fingers was extra puffy and sore. I'm glad to see improvement with that this morning.

One.nice thing is the sun ia out today. Looking out I can actually see blue sky. The groundhog will see its shadow today. 6 more weeks of winter... just 6!!! yay!

This month I get 2 infusions and then 1 mid-March to complete 4 infusions with 2 drugs. After that one drug is dropped (yay) and its one drug for a while.

I'll end this here. I'll add an update after I'm home.

Update: Everything went well. Another unique experience filed away. I am sore but every day I should be incrementally better. Somehow getting this done has grounded me. A measure of acceptance flooded me when it was over. I'm ready to live with this now vs wondering how ill live with it. Very grateful for the shift in my point of view.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-03-2024 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:11 AM   #10  

Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was again just enough food to stop me losing. GRrrrrrrrrr! Today i am going to try to go to bed hungry.

After school we met windows guy. We fine tuned the order keeping the large old picture window with the small wood pull ups. He warned us about loss of heat but we don't care at this point. The bonus was I came down to find these https://ibb.co/9yqX4kk
https://ibb.co/VNM7y4f
https://ibb.co/ZKJv9b1

So excited. I take no credit. It was God and the previous owner. Pretty exciting.

Proud moment was I have been frugal enough this past few months to be able to take over cabin mortgage as promised only six months early!! DH is pretty stretched out with the farm finances.I presented him with a check for six months of rent. He actual teared up. I am going to try and pay the next six months next month. Between DS' last 9 months in college and the renovation, DH is feeling like Atlas. Glad to do what I can. Giving does feel better than receiving. Good Lesson.

So glad it is Friday.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:56 PM   #11  
in development

Default Friday

I went to the gymn this morning which was good. All that summiting the library staircase, rucking books to the charity shop and getting up “no hands” from a low stool has served to keep me as fit as I was before Christmas. Plus the foot exercises, of course. I’m very pleased about this. I’ve eaten more food rather than less today but that’s par for the course on a gymn day. I cleared up the front garden a bit more so it’s now potential-buyer-ready. We’re having an early spring here and it is a lovely spring garden so that’s encouraging me. The snowdrops have just come out and the iris reticulata are looking good. Credit for working on it over the years. The weather might catch us out, of course, but I think the garden can take whatever comes next.

Bill, well done on finding an error in your textbook! That does take a working brain so you must be all right!

curlyjax, it’s very good to hear that the exterminator company is on the ball and is going to send someone else out to have a look at the outside of the house. You want shot of those mice.

onebyone, you’re doing really well figuring things out. The port sounds as though it will help a lot over the coming months. How lovely to see the sun! It’s been in and out here today but it’s certainly very welcome when it is out. There’s warmth in it!

maryann, those daffs and paperwhites are looking great! And the camellia is so healthy. Is it in the background of the paperwhites? Fab.

Waving to gardenerjoy and anyone else who’s passing by.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Paleoanthropologist Davidson Black reports on 'Homo erectus' (1928, China)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Had an extra snack because a friend gifted up a fruit cake. Yep, a fruit cake! She's the only person I know who still bakes fruit cakes. It's quite tasty; her stick is to use too much candied fruit - I'd rather have too many nuts. Unfortunately, it's good enough that I joined DW in having a toasted slice with butter. The only good news is that it's of finite size so that a small slice until it's gone won't be a big setback.

Two books were delivered by the post office. Another book on Artificial Intelligence, Deep Learning, for me and Carl Safina's
Voyage of the Turtle: In Pursuit of the Earth's Last Dinosaur Voyage of the Turtle: In Pursuit of the Earth's Last Dinosaur
for DW. DW got Carl Safina on her mind so I ordered three of his books; they're arriving slowing by Thriftbooks dealers around the country. Fun that they trickle in - a new treat in the mail now and then. I'm remembering that good text books have the feature of a superlative first few chapters to get one up to speed for reading the rest of the book. That first part is often what I really need. In AI, "old" stuff can be just five years ago.

Even though I'm not a gardener, DW had me read three pages of Katherine S. White's
Onward and Upward in the Garden Onward and Upward in the Garden
. Just to admire the writing style. She writes of tending her house plants as if a nurse working to keep all her patients happy. It's sentence after sentence, page after page of gracious writing. As if it just drips from her pen effortlessly. Worthy of admiration.

onebyone - Good news that the port went well. Super news, "I'm ready to live with this now." I share your joy that the groundhog seeing his shadow means that there's only six more weeks of winter.

Silverbirch - Snowdrops already! I'm so jealous. They're still forever away around here. Good news that your garden is ready to show potential buyers.

maryann – That's some bold flowers acting like it's Spring. Congrats on your financial success.

curlyjax - So neat that you met up with an old Girl Scout buddy. Nothing is better than the sound of no mice.

Readers -
Quote:

6. If you have been lax about exercising, make sure you recommit to a firm exercise plan and don't give yourself a choice about sticking to it.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:36 AM   #13  

Earlier in the day yesterday I felt a bit off, and experienced some GI distress. I took a nap at home and fortunately felt better. Even took a covid test but negative. I think there are some little things going around.Out to dinner with BFF and another widow, and managed to bring some food home.The other widow has a big family and a lot of family around, and I always feel a bit jealous when I talk to her. I'm not the type to be envious of big houses or expensive items, but rather the multi layered connections some people have, and close physical access to extended family. Ah well, I'm grateful for the family I do have and had, and a host of other things too. I'm learning to feel the feelings and then let them go.
Today is massage-probably the last for quite sometime as I won't want to go after my surgery, scheduled business chat with my brother, clean out the fridge and off to the dump, and bills. Possibly buy a toaster oven. And start prepping my bedroom for surgery, I need to have things close at hand which means clearing off some surfaces. DD is at work today so I have the day to myself, a luxury.
Onebyone-a port ultimately will make life easier for you.Great to have the shift in view. Sun is so wonderful in the winter, its been so grey here.
Maryann-those flowers are so pretty. Great job budgeting!
Silverbirch-great that you're fit as you were a few months ago. Yay for early spring indeed!
Bill-That's very fun to have books trickle in. Always a pleasure to read beautiful writing.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:25 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Today I remembered what works. Greens and exercise cause weightloss. I am now again close to that new number. I am currently watching Severance on Apple where the brain at work is severed from the outside life.At work one can't remember a past life and vice versa. i feel that is the way it is for me and food. There is an overeating life and a healthy life. When I am in one behavior sector i can't remember the other. The only goal for this week is to see the new lower number. So a repeat of exercise. At the Mexican restaurant for lunch with friends I am ordering 1 taco and a Mandarin Jarrito for my daily treat.

Packing my swimsuit in my gym bag I remembered that the bottom of my decade old suit was ripped. Then I remembered i had bought a new swim skirt last summer. Lo and behold, there it was. I loved it and felt much more comfortable at the gym. Hopped online on Poshmark and bought two more of the same model New With tags. Posh is great for that sort of things. They will come in handy when DH and I are in the Caribbean this April. I am cold plunging for 6 mins now and using the sauna for my sinus. i feel much better.

tried a new fish recipe in the airfryer. DH says he likes the old one better but credit me for experimenting. Friends are coming down this morning to the river house to help me finish pruning. I will take them to said Mexican restaurant.

BBE: I put the White book on my library list. who knew at one point I would reading gardening books.
Silverbirch: yeah for a garden ready to show off a house.
Curly: I hear you about the occasional envy of large, layered families. Then I remember I came from a large layered family and it was painfully chaotic. I remember to not judge outsides by my insides. I also still have twinges of regret that I had only one child. Then I remember my tiny family of 3 is so comforting. That is what I want to focus on.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:57 PM   #15  
in development

Default Saturday

What a difference a day makes! No sun today, just mist or is it low cloud or is it very wet rain? Anyway, I’ve worked on three main things and I’m very pleased with them all.

1 - I repotted all the bulbs which are shooting even though I threw the contents of the pot in the corner upside down because I thought it was just grass. In fact, it was a “bulb lasagne” I'd done a year or so ago, with tulips, daffodils and probably crocus planted in layers to come out in waves through the spring. All the bulbs were in one pot but it’s taken four pots to sort them out. Credit for taking the time to do this now and the result will cheer me and sell the house later in the spring.

2 - I’ve measured and planned what we can fit in the car for our next jaunt southwards. And most of it is now ready under the stairs. Credit for taking the time now which will help later on.

3 - The remaining contents of the DD’s bedroom are tidily out of the way and it looks as spacious as a tiny attic room can look. Credit for minimising clutter and maximising space.

Food has been reasonable but one or two unnecessary things have crept in.

onebyone, I’m so impressed to hear of the shift in your point of view. Feeling grounded and accepting are such strong and positive emotions.

Bill, I make fruit cakes from time to time so that makes two people you know! My mum and I made them for years when a couple of people in the family were eating hardly anything. As she used to say, "there's fruit in it and eggs in it so it's got to help." I’m going to read a sample of Onward and Upward in the Garden. It’s a nice and familiarly reassuring title as “onwards and upwards” is a phrase often used by a past chair on Gardeners’ Question Time when turning attention to the next question. Credit for arranging books to trickle into the house.

curlyjax, much credit for learning to feel the feelings and then let them go!

maryann, credit for remembering what works. Greens for the win!

Waving to gardenerjoy and anyone else who’s passing by.
Closed Thread