Starting day one tomorrow, couple questions

• I mentioned in another thread that I was waiting for my shipment of Beck books (diet solution plus the solution work book). They have arrived and I am excited to get started I read the first two and a half chapters last night and I can SO relate to everything that has been said so far. I know this book is just what I need. Even after losing a lot of weight, I still have an unhealthy relationship with food that I want to address before maintenance. I had a chuckle at the dialogue in the book where she was talking about sabotaging thoughts (should I eat it, its not on my plan, I want it, I may eat it...). That is soooo me . I even read it to my hubby and he had a laugh because I have done that to him many times while debating a desert at the store or a fast food restaurant LOL.

I have a couple questions before I get started

1. The book mentions a coach and I am not sure how this works? I assume this forum can be my coach which is just wonderful. Do I post every day or every week and what do I "report". I am not sure of the role of the coach. Maybe I am just not far enough in the book yet but I am impatient

2. Where do I find response cards, do I make them or are they something you buy. Again, I will find out if I read more but I want to be prepared ahead of time

3. For those of you who use the work book, how is that working for you? Do you recommend using it along with the book. It almost feels redundant so far because it basically says the same thing as the book, but I am not very far yet. I have done the first quiz so far. Should I log my foods there every day even though I use fitday online? I want to do things right and follow the program the best I can

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get started tomorrow
  • Quote: I know this book is just what I need. Even after losing a lot of weight, I still have an unhealthy relationship with food that I want to address before maintenance.

1. The book mentions a coach and I am not sure how this works?

2. Where do I find response cards,

3. For those of you who use the work book, how is that working for you? Do you recommend using it along with the book. It almost feels redundant so far because it basically says the same thing as the book, but I am not very far yet. I have done the first quiz so far. Should I log my foods there every day even though I use fitday online? I want to do things right and follow the program the best I can
    My unhealthy relationship with food is why I wanted to read Judith's book, I didn't feel very motivated to lose the weight until I 'fixed' my relaionship with food. I felt I would regain, lose, repeat.

The Beck support group is a wonderful group coach, all the members are very supportive, and offer advice from their experiences. Check in as often as you like.. I posted daily, myself. {sometimes more, if I had a question or insight I wanted to share}

I made my own response cards out of index cards, which I had a lot of anyway. They still have a place of honor on the fridge even though I don't follow the program everyday at this point.

Can't help with the workbook, I didn't have one.
    Hope that helps, and I wish you much success.
  • Quote: I mentioned in another thread that I was waiting for my shipment of Beck books (diet solution plus the solution work book). They have arrived and I am excited to get started I read the first two and a half chapters last night and I can SO relate to everything that has been said so far. I know this book is just what I need. Even after losing a lot of weight, I still have an unhealthy relationship with food that I want to address before maintenance. I had a chuckle at the dialogue in the book where she was talking about sabotaging thoughts (should I eat it, its not on my plan, I want it, I may eat it...). That is soooo me . I even read it to my hubby and he had a laugh because I have done that to him many times while debating a desert at the store or a fast food restaurant LOL.

I have a couple questions before I get started

1. The book mentions a coach and I am not sure how this works? I assume this forum can be my coach which is just wonderful. Do I post every day or every week and what do I "report". I am not sure of the role of the coach. Maybe I am just not far enough in the book yet but I am impatient

2. Where do I find response cards, do I make them or are they something you buy. Again, I will find out if I read more but I want to be prepared ahead of time

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get started tomorrow

Hi sweetnlow - glad you posted. I think you will find the Beck Diet Solution a good source of techniques to learn how to actually 'live' with food in a sane manner. I have the first book and, recently, the workbook. For me - I use a spiral journal to keep track of what I am doing -even though I have the workbook.

I agree with you on identifying with many of the sabatoging thoughts Dr. Beck mentions.

I will try to answer your questions in my experience.,

1. Yes, it's important to get a coach. Many folks use the people here at this forum as their coach. Often - it's in the monthly chat thread. Or - people also post a single thread with thoughts or questions. Either way is OK. You can report your credits and difficulties in either. You can post as much as you like or as little. That's up to you. Some people have a coach that is not part of 3fc's Beck forum. They post here too.

2. I think some people make there own response cards out of index cards or card stock. I think everyone does their's a little different. What's nice is that people often talk about these cards or different ones they have made for themselves as things come up. I hope some other folks chime in and say what they do, also. For instance - someone mentioned how they made a response card just for weekends - that was a helpful thought.

3. I too find the workbook redundant of the first book. However, it's just different enough sometimes to get more of a perspective on the Day/concept/technique Dr. Beck is discussing. As I mentioned before, I keep everything in a pretty spiral notebook - food plan, food eaten, things I am working on - ie...eat seated only, no seconds, leave a bite, read arc/rc,etc and reflections of other things that Dr. Beck recommends including in the day. I don't however, do the hour by hour food planning. That's me - I don't know about others.

So....welcome aboard!!
  • 1. I use the monthly chat thread as my virtual coach and it works great for me. I post daily. When I don't, everything stops working!

2. I initially made response cards on 3x5 cards, then tried a more visual approach on sheets of paper. Eventually, I determined that having them in physical form was getting in the way of me actually looking at them, so I took BillBlueEye's suggestion and put them in the same Excel file where I keep track of my weight. Some people with smart phones have put them in their phone.

3. I have the workbook and tried to do the two in tandem. But, again, I've had some trouble with physical formats not working that well for me, so neither book has much written in them. I have, as Beverlyjoy said, found just enough difference in the wording that sometimes the workbook will give me an insight that I didn't get from the book.

Welcome!
  • Sweetnlow28, I really just zipped through the posts to your inquiry, and as usual, my fellow Beckies said it best. I just want to add my 2 cents as to using each other on this forum as our coaches.

1.. Obviously, you get us ALL!! Not one coach, but the collective wisdom of us all. I am amazed at how much this group enriches my life, not just in sharing suggestions and tips, but in life's experiences.

2. We are all *doing Beck; you don't have to train a coach!!

No matter what you decide, I hope you stay here.

Love, from Minnesoda!!
  • Thanks everyone for the help I just wanted to update that I am actually starting the program tomorrow (Sunday). My daughter and I became pretty sick this week and I wanted to start when I was feeling well. I think I am going to do the first week in two or three days as I have been dieting for awhile and already have a plan in place. After that I will do it one day at a time, probably taking more time when I hit an issue I really need to focus on like night time eating.

Thanks again, I can't wait to start
  • Sorry to hear that you've been sick. Glad you'll be joining in. I think you'll find the Beck strategy very very helpful.