Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – November 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – October 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome texasmama

texasmama

And, even though you've been here for two years,

How did you find out about the Beck books?

And how did you find this thread on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was OP, CREDIT moi, and exercise just barely. Was an absolutely lovely day with a mixture of relaxing among my DW's garden. Yay for three day weekends.

My big news is that it's raining hard with thunder and lightning right now and my basement is DRY!!!! That's big news because I spent part of the three day weekend chiseling out the offending cracks underneath the utility sink in a difficult to access corner of the basement and applying hydraulic cement. So this was the big test, and it worked. CREDIT moi for figuring out how to take care of a nasty problem in our life. And CREDIT moi for being lithe enough to do this; one more example in my life that wouldn't have been possible some 80 pounds ago.

onebyone - Ouch for waking the "craving monster" and for the nail biting anxiety. Sounds like you're right in there fighting the battle. Yep, Kudos for cooking dinner from scratch and for recognizing that you're hard on yourself.

CeeJay - Ouch for "way too busy and working too much" - but sounds like you're doing well with the mirowave in your hotel room instead of indulging in the obvious temptations. And glad to find someone else who likes the fiddleheads - I was a little surprised that they aren't very common.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for meeting your exercise goal of 1400 minutes in May. Yay for using your holiday for low-key stuff instead of a grand trip to a food centric event.

Shepherdess - Just WOW for signing up for a marathon - Kudos for the confidence that you can do the work to move up from your half marathons. Thanks for causing me to google your Indian Paint Brush - that's a flashy one alright. (Kinda puzzled about where in the Black Hills of South Dakota one would spear fish?)

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Good joy making restaurant choices with limited options. Yep, real life requires some creative responses.

nathy - That's overcoming a real dilemma - whole grain biscuits carry the notion of good-for-you. Kudos for applying NO CHOICE.

Donna (new2me2) - Bon Voyage on your cruise to Alaska. Love your attitude that rain won't dampen the fun. Can't wait to hear about hiking near a glacier.

ThisTime7 - Yep, work conferences are hard since mucho food seems to go with them. Good luck.

ponee - Yay for that aha moment that the urge passed after only twenty minutes. Always good to be reminded that waiting can help to get past a problem.

texasmama - Yay for day 1 - it is exciting to be staring out. Hats off to anyone who can learn to sew.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

When you go to a restaurant, family gathering, holiday celebration, or other special event, you'll encounter lost of triggers: the sight and smell of food, people eating and drinking, people offering you food and drink, a festive atmosphere. Many people apply special eating and drinking rules to special occasions. They give themselves permission to indulge.

That's why so many dieters come undone.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 214.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks - I arrived at my DS's son. Even on a US holiday there was hardly a soul on the road at 6am. I am glad I missed the deer that jumped in front of the car along the way - it was close.

It was a healthy day yesterday - using my exchange plan - grateful for the willingness to try and make it work. I am transitioning into it.

GS is feeling some better. It was a quiet day - but, still lots of giggles and cuddles.

We got Chinese food last night - take out. I ordered steamed chicken and veggies with a side of a ginger garlic soy sauce. credit It was tasty. I brought lots of my favorites fruit and snack with me.

Tonight DS is making homemade spaghetti sauce with sausage. I plan to limit myself to just a 1/3 cup on my pasta.

yesterday
read arc/rc - yes
logged food - yes
eating seated, no seconds - yes
stretches and strengthening - yes
feel fullness - once in awhile
tasted food - sometimes
leave a bite - all the time
fork down - some of the time
no beck book

texasmama - WELCOME!

I've read all the posts and greatly appreciate all the support and comments from everyone, - but -

The font size on this computer keeps getting smaller and smaller - I can barely read it. I can't find the doohickie that enlarges the letters. I'll ask someone when they get up. I'll try to catch up later, if I can. I am babysitting my GS all day and I know I'll be busy.

Have a great day. Treat yourself as well as you'd treat a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-01-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #5  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post June!?

Good Morning Coaches.

I have a full day ahead of me with my work split between the ceramic room at the school and then here at home, gathering together prints I have made for the big weekend art in the park I am in. I am still kind of detached from it. I am only a little teeny bit worried about the show. Normally I would be in full-on panic. I know my friends who haven't done it before or only have only done it a few times are. I guess when you've been there 10+ years some parts of it are ho-hum. What's new is I'm probably setting up on my own. Not sure if DH can help me out. Maybe. But I already knew that when I signed on for my shows. Another new thing is I am supposed to be all handmade art prints but I have no clue if in reality I have enough prints to fill a booth. I'm going to flesh it out with paintings. I think if that gets me kicked out so be it. I really really doubt that though. So we'll see what I come up with.

The weather's great today. It's raining. Finally. And the temperatures are at a seasonal 23C. Geez. I was at my friend's house yesterday and saw the free arbour he picked up that's to come to my house. Wish it was here already but he has to get a few screws for it to stabilize it. I have crazy vines that I would like to train onto the arbour to create a shady secluded space to sit under in my backyard. I'd like to be out when the kids are playing soccer back there but I hate being out then so if I had a little privacy nook I would be happier plus it takes the vines off the fence where they grow over it into my neighbour's pristine backyard space. The wildness of those vines must drive him nuts. For me, it makes me happy to see stuff doing its own thing. My yard is a chaotic bit of nature. Even the yard maintence crews look in to see what they could trim/whippersnip/mow and they just walk away. Success!!! They can "clean up" the yard after we move out.

Food-wise it's back to "3 meals a day with nothing in between" for me. No seconds. No standing. No sugar with one exception: coffee packets I just bought at the big Asian grocery store. (wow what a place) I can have two of these today. And I have to eat some green things. I have leftover chicken from yesterday so may make a stir fry of chicken and green baby bok choy (yum) and mushrooms. Good stuff. DH is on his own if I cook that. He'll survive.

Better go. I didn't cancel the clinic appt yesterday so will call in and do it now by leaving a message. Today I need to call my doctor and make an appt for a physical. I haven't had one in a few years now. No real reason except I just wanted to show up thinner and, alas, I am not but I am still older so I'd better go anyway.

Bye Coaches. Enjoy your day.

end of day checklist
  1. no seconds DONE
  2. no standing while eating DONE
  3. no sugar except coffee packets NO
  4. no more than 2 coffee packets DONE
  5. looked through my prints and started preparing for the show NO
  6. cancel clinic appt. DONE
  7. make dr. appt. DONE
  8. eat green thing ATE FRIED GREEN THINGS
  9. eat breakfast DONE
  10. exercise 20 min today NO
    8/10 COMPLETED = 80% OP TODAY

Last edited by onebyone; 06-02-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck Friends

I'm having a hard time getting going this AM. Too much spontainety and too little of my treasured routine. I posted at SBD and then came here to visit. I lost a post here last night and am somewhate grateful to see a new month which seems much easier to tackle then the old thread. My apologies to everyone I have missed as May personals fade away.

Texasmama, to the Beck forum. I'm finding this program very helpful. I am still pretty new, but I am learning lots about myself.

BillBlueEyes, you gave me my answer the very first thing. Yes, it is hectic, and yes, I have way too many things on my list but they ARE all possible to be put on the list because I am 80 pounds lighter. Great perspective! *credit* for my ability to ride my bike, walk my dogs, mow my lawn, and care for the garden while DH is gone. I can do this. So glad to hear that your 3 day project has such a successful result.lol for rain.

Beverlyjoy, glad to hear you made it safe and sound, especially missing that deer. *credit* for willingness to make an exchange system work! Have fun with GS today. I'm wondering how old he is.

onebyone, I love your new avatar! *credit* for a plan for food. I like your end of day checklist, too. Taking the steps you take every day will really help you as you work at finding a food plan that works for you. I am 1 yr. 1 mo off the refined sugar. It was a rough go at first, but I feel so much better now.

ETA-I decided to save, then continue....
My days are getting more overwhelming since I've had my Mom here visiting for a week now. Many times I need to leave what I'm doing and take care of her needs.(I should be doing that now) I had planned to travel to our other home very soon (DH comes back from Alaska next Wednesday AM) but I have lots to do here first. Food could have been much better yesterday. I ran out of time for my breakfast smoothie/vitamins in the AM while tending to something Mom just "had" to have help with. By the time we got back from the pool it was lunch time. Lunch was OP. Dinner was planned and simple, then my friend called and had gone through more clothes. She wanted to bring them over so I invited her to dinner. Instead of going to bed early, we sat and visited (very sad sometimes). When she left, I basically "overate" by revisiting leftovers from a healthy dinner. Oh, Well. Back on track today. I have a huge list, but am going to start by giving myself permission to take a nap if I feel like it.(my mind is already saying-you have to mow the lawn and pay the bills first....and clean the house....) *credit* for recognizing that I engage in unplanned eating when I'm tired and stressed.

I will check in later. Thanks for being here.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-01-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Hello June. Hello great people.

Anne
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi folks! WELCOME Texasmama!!!

Just came on for a quick post before I leave... I am down now to a total of 7 pounds lost! Yay. I'm wearing one of my new pairs of jeans. Yay again, lol. Hope to check in again by tomorrow at the latest.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

We got my garden bed all ready, and then it poured. So, it will probably be a few days before I get to plant, unless I want to work in my mud. Lots of activity, some of which I was willing to call exercise. Eating wasn't quite so stellar, but good enough for a strange day. Today should be better and not so strange.

WI: +0.15kg, Exercise: +50 1450/1400 minutes for May, Food: 75%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, texasmama!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Hi Everyone,
Back on track after the weekend, getting back into work certainly makes it easier to stay on plan. Still not eating after tea and only having my 3 plan meals a day. Skipped lunch today as I didn’t realize it was so late. I was quite pleased with this as I had walked by food shops and been in and out of supermarkets still not feeling hungry. I’m a casual sales rep and I spend 3 days a week going in and out of these places.
One of the dogs has a sore foot so haven’t got out for my walk today. Will have to do the treadmill instead tonight. Will start reading stage 2 tomorrow and hopefully this will jeer me up again as I feel a bit slacker than the first four weeks.
Have read my advantages each day but think I need to read them twice a day. Going to make a second set to carry in the car.

Onebyone Good luck with your art show. Your vines sound great I like watching things go natural. Though an arbour would be great and give you the privacy that you want. You are doing well with your food considering how busy you are at the moment.

Beverlyjoy Hope your font size has improved nothing like squinting at the computer. I have an extra large screen attached to my laptop so that my eyes don’t get that sore.
Credit for ordering steamed Chinese I always go there with that intention, but then order the satays or something.

BillBlueEyes Glad your basement is dry you must of done a good job. Well done for staying on plan.

Texasmama Welcome to the Becks forum. I am only a newbie on here and this monthly thread is so motivating.

Ponee Well done for getting through the 20minutes.

Seawaters Credit for putting up the kitchen is closed sign. Wouldn’t this be good if could close down like a restaurant and only have opening hours. Now with houses in Australia we have all this open plan living and the kitchen is looking at you everywhere you move. Need the old type rooms with one door and you could close it after each meal. These days we have bar fridges in lounge rooms and then you go outside and the beer fridge (plus goodies) is on the patio in your face when you are outside in the yard.
Yeah the distractions at the conference are my worry. LOL

gardenerjoy Hope it clears up so you can plant your seeds. I think preparing the soil would of been good exercise. I am looking forward to when I can get back out into the garden more. With my weight at the moment I find getting down low hard to do. My hanging baskets look great but, DH has to do the soil for me in the beds.

Lexxiss Sounds like your life is very hetic at the moment. You have done well to stay on plan with all that stress.

Sorry if I missed any one. Keep up the good work and see you all tomorrow night. While most of you are all sleeping I will be out walking, then while I sleep you can all go walking. Seadwater and myself are about 12hours in front of you all.
Cheers ThisTime7
Temp ticker

Temp Ticker
283-----271-------------153

broccoli 1 for every 5lbs

Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Default I've done my time

Yah Hoo
I'm fully fledged done my time and now an official Beckster,
Loving it
Thisime7
Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I'm finally getting a chance to post after a busy AM. Yesterday was a great day, Beckwise and otherwise. We had great weather and I got out for an AM run and did some yardwork. We had a Memorial Day/Birthday celebration with DH's family last night. His niece just turned 7. I brought a healthy butternut squash casserole (thanks Moosewood!). When we got to my FIL's house, the pre-dinner feast was in session. I had the momentary urge to start in on the cheese and cracker plate, the chips and salsa, or my MIL's deadly artichoke dip, but skipped those festivities and waited for the dinner.

Welcom Texasmama! It's great to meet you. Beck is a great program and worth all the optimism!

Lexiss, it's tough to take care of yourself when you're taking care of someone else. Great job recognizing the problem and moving on.

New2me2, the trip sounds like so much fun. I've always thought those Alaska cruises sounds like so much fun. Sounds like you have a great plan in place. Yay for fitting into new jeans.

Nathy, kudos for resisting that thought to have "just one" biscuit. Great job closing the kitchen for the night.

ThisTime7, congrats on doing your time and becoming an official Beckster! Good job getting back on track after a tough weekend and for paying attention to your own hunger levels even with all the food venues trying to tell you that you must be hungry.

Ceejay, kudos for staying on track while in a hotel room. It's not easy, but you did all the hard work to plan and stay on track. Hope your extra work stress eases soon.

Ponee, kudos for waiting 20 minutes and being rewarded with that " aha" moment. We know intellectually that those cravings will pass, but in the moment it feels like they will last forever.

Seadwaters, great job mentally closing down that kitchen. I also need to follow ThisTime7's example and stop eating in front of the TV. I was good about that for awhile, but now the dining room table is back to a workspace. Hm, this week's task should be to clear that off. . .

Onebyone, kudos for ignoring those cravings and for getting back to practicing all your good habits. Best of luck getting all of your work together for the art show. I love the description of letting your lawn go wild. The wild aesthetic can be a lot of fun.

BillBE, yay for a dry basement! I would say ouch for a hard rain and thunder and lightening, but it sounds like you're enjoying the test of your work. LOL at spearing a fish in SD. I'm sure there's a story in that name somewhere.

Beverlyjoy, great job having a plan in place for your trip and for following it. Great job enjoying a healthy dish. Glad you missed that deer. They have a way of jumping out at the worst possible moments.

Gardenerjoy, ouch for the rain delaying your planting. I envy all of your moisture, but I guess every climate has its challenges. Yay for an active day and for "good enough for a strange day."

Wndranne, waving back. Happy June!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Checking in! It's been a good planned day. I didn't get a nap, but instead went to Costco with a friend. I got the lawn mowed, the bills paid and the dog washed....decided to "close the office" (thx nathy) recognizing the need for a break. I have Caesar Salad for dinner and will go to bed before engaging in unplanned eating.

Anne (wndranne),

Joy (gardenerjoy), I hope you’ve had a good day despite mud!

CeeJay, *credit* for determination to make your health a priority amidst work related stress.

Cheryl (seadwaters), *credit* for closing the kitchen! I wanted to mention, the other night when I was cooking dinner and so hungry-instead of snacking as I cooked, I sliced a tomato and sat down and ate it before resuming cooking. It really helped! Keep pooling and planning and you will see 200, too!

Donna (new2me2),Happy cruising in your new jeans!

ThisTime7, *credit* for getting back on track! Love your ticker!

MerinoGirl

nathy, *credit* for using NO CHOICE on wholegrain biscuits and chosing healthy strawberries instead. Thanks for sharing "closing the kitchen". It is an idea that is catching on!

ponee, *credit* for reading and learning in order to have "aha" moments!

Shepherdess, *credit* for a stellar holiday with healthy food. Moosewood is one of my favs!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #14  

Horrible, horrible migraine today. Thank you for the warm welcome, I will catch up with you all tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone

texasmama- welcome!!!

ponee- nice list of credits!

seadwaters- for me I find that the less thinking about how far I have to go the better. Concentrating on today is helping me keep on the right track and keeps me from getting overwhelmed.

BillBlueEyes- yay for eating OP- everyone of those days are gold.

Beverlyjoy-kuddos for eating the healthiest you could with take out Chinese food. Good use of resistance muscle.

onebyone-good for you for making a doctor's appointment. I bet there are a few of us here who can relate to putting it off until we lose some weight.

Lexxiss-like the way you just said oh well about the leftovers. Does not take away from all the healthy thing you also did.

wndranne-hello back to one of the great people.

new2me2-hurray for 7 pounds gone and new jeans.

gardenerjoy-we are also delayed on some planting due to huge rain storms over the weekends. Can't wait to get back to it.

ThisTime7-good for you for sticking to your plan. Hope your dog's foot is better.

Shepherdess-major credit for skipping the appetizers. Any kind of dip is my worst indulgence. I would rather have the appetizers than the main course anyday.

For me- a very nice OP day today. I am one pound away from the goal of the next 5 pounds, which I have been trying to get to for what seems like forever.

Credit today for:

walking 40 minutes
eating OP
weighing in
planning tomorrow and packing lunch
checking in with my coaches
reading repsonse and advantage cards

Closed Thread