3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #76

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies: Survived my triathlon and had fun. It was HARD, and I didn't leave anything on the course. I'm completely shelled today and hoping to be better by tomorrow. Tomorrow starts the 40 day push.

Anne
-from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman
Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #77

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Greetings from some sea in Alaska, lol. We sailed the Glacier Bay today, and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! We've seen lots of wildlife: several humpback whales, several seals, otters, birds, several brown bears and several eagles! We got up close to the glaciers, but only got to see some small pieces fall in, nothing too large, but fun nonetheless! I've taken nearly 100 photos today alone I think!

I think I recovered well from my fudge incident yesterday, lol. I have eaten very lightly today and only when hungry. I did eat the rest of the fudge, but that was planned, and was one reason why I chose to eat lite. I've been up and about since 6:00 am when we entered Glacier Bay, and I've been standing or sitting/jumping up for most of the day since. Not a lot of other exercise, but the sitting/standing is good exercise in itself.

Tomorrow is our last port which will be Ketchikan.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #78
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

I hope I don't miss anyone...it's past my bedtime. Travel was good, and I'm settled in. Not too much yardwork, but it will wait. I do have a hose running. Food was sane today. I called Alaska and ordered a box of seafood for DH to bring back. I'm excited about that. See you all tomorrow.

BillBlueEyes, glad to hear you were at your Beckst behavior while around all the snack foods. Recognizing when food is just so-so is a great tactic...it saves lots of calories.

Donna (new2me2), great job recovering from the fudge incident. I like how you were able to eat the rest of it, but planned it out. Planning allows for thinking time.lol

AnneWonders, congrats! on finishing the triathelon. What a great way to start your 40 day Beck push.

gardenerjoy, recognizing that your strength is your consistency is a great strategy for continued success.

ThisTime7, *credit* on enjoying your steak and salad while everyone else consumed goodies. Getting right back on track is so helpful.

Shepherdess, I am really learning lots as you modify your plan to make it a fit for your training regimen.

Beverlyjoy, glad to hear you enjoyed your planned ice cream. Thinking ahead really helps.

silverbirch,

Cheryl (seadwaters), you said, "I think because I have down time in the evening and I associate that with food - need to find a better association!" I found that statement very interesting, because I think that, too. My thought yesterday morning was, "if I could just carry this attitude into my evenings...." It's like the reward for being good is eating.lol That's why I'm working at learning Beck techniques.

CeeJay, thanks for checking in and letting us know that all is well.

tigerchild, great job asking for accomodations while eating out. I do well asking, but not so well when it comes and they didn't do it. My salmon sand. no mayo came with it last week, and I wasn't able to send it back-it wasn't cheap, either. I didn't eat the half with the mayo, but....

Nuxmaga, glad your market went well. It is sure hot here tonight. great job resisting quantities of cupcakes.

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!

Last edited by Lexxiss : 06-08-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #79

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Dear Coaches

A good day today - my weight was down 2.4# which means it really isn't something I should get too excited about as long as I am on plan. I will become desensitised to it over time - no doubt part of Beck's not-so-secret plan. I like our moderators (BillBE) comment that looking for what changed and can be changed back rather than looking for why we should feel guilty - I need to look at what has changed for me in the evenings and what I can change to change the outcome. I am struggling in the evenings and the only thing that really distracts me is messing with the computer. So I need to get more geeky maybe - or take up knitting! I need to eat before I get too hungry so this is a quick check-in

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - yes - twice
- Planned my day - yes
- Made food plan - yes
- Food on-plan - YES
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - yes
- Put down fork occasionally - - Yes - at lunch
- Weighed myself - Yes - back DOWN AGAIN - from 218.8lb to 216.4 so I think I can work on becoming desensitised to the vagaries of weight fluctuations and just stay with the program!
- Drank water - not enough
- Exercise - yes - exercise physiology
- Resistance techniques - yes
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Scale reading as data - and staying on plan

Have a great day Beckies
-------
Cheryl

Short Term Goal

Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #80

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Raced thru my gym routine, CREDIT moi, to make it to my evening meeting. The meeting was my monthly meet-and-eat affair where I have to face the food for two hours. But I did good enough, CREDIT moi. Particularly proud that I chose not to have a small pastry thingy from Trader Joe's that looked rather tasty. Two guys, both athletic, where popping them in two bytes each. Wish that I was that consistent at that event every month.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Good morning start of "40 day push." Do tell what that entails; I'm in need of a little push myself. LOL at "didn't leave anything on the course" since my first thought was body parts not bicycle parts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Well, Congrats for winning the "Beach Party Challenge." Your opera evening does sound magical indeed - hope it tours to Boston after your St. Louis run.

Shepherdess - That cooler lunch sounds good. A packed lunch is so comfortable for me because there isn't room to consider off-plan browsing.

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for using resistance techniques against ‘wanting to eat more thoughts’ - it's always good to prove that they're just thoughts, not commands to eat.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for "becoming desensitised to the vagaries of weight fluctuations and just stay with the program!" LOL at having to choose between geeky or knitting.

silverbirch - Nearly split my gut hitting "You got there before me, didn't you?" Now I'm really off to look for salt marsh lamb.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Not many people get to "call Alaska" and order seafood directly, LOL. You get special permission to stay up late watching the NBA on nights that the Celtics shine.

Donna (new2me2) - Waving toward Ketchikan, Alaska and the brown bears, humpback whales, and eagles. Yay for eating lightly on a cruise.

ThisTime7 - When I was a kid, I'd have been told that winning the steamer was my reward for refusing those cakes. Took me a while to figure out that winning raffles didn't usually correspond with my behavior at all, LOL. But Kudos for an on-plan day when there were temptations.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies

When your food arrives, portion off the food you can eat. Immediately push the extra food not on your food plan to one side of your plate. Or put it on your bread plate, if you prefer.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 215.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #81

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks, coaches, buddies - Yesterday was a good calorie day. I am always grateful for that. My plan did take some twists and turns - but, I kept it all in a good calorie range. I changed to quick easy cooking because I had back pain. I did not overeat when I wasn’t feeling good. Credit. Part of my willingness to stay in my calorie range was me knowing I needed to weigh myself the next day. Hmm- maybe there’s something to weighing daily. It still terrifies me to do this daily weighing - but, I am trying.

Today I am taking it easy. I have a back spasm and I know what I need to do. No bending, lifting, twisting for a few days - along with a couple of meds should do the trick. I need to take some medicine that slows down my weight loss...I am proud of my self for willingness to take it. There was a time when my mind was so 'scale driven' that I would refuse to take the medicine. This is a positive step for me.

Plan food - changed plan
log, measure food - yes
count calories - yes
eat seated only - most of the time
no licking spoons etc when cooking - yes
tv off - part of the time
fork down between bites - some of the time
taste food - some of the time
slow mindful eating - some of the time
feel fullness - no
no seconds - all the time
Arc - yes

gentle stretches and strengthening - no
Beck book - no

Billbe- major credit for getting through that food filled meeting well. Like Dr. Beck says - when you get through a trying food moment, it strengthens your reserve for the next time you are faced with it. Not fair that those guys could be snacking the goodies down.

Seadwaters - wonderful to see that weight loss! I looking forward to the time when I am ‘desensitized to the day to day flucuations of what the scale says. I think getting on the computer when the evening food calls to you is a good idea.

Lexxiss - hooray for food sanity. It’s what we all strive for. So fun to get seafood from Alaska!

New2me2 - your trip sounds wonderful! Credit for planning to include your fudge into your daily plan. Carry on!

Ann wonders - so glad you got through the race well. Here we go…40 day push!

Shepardess - you said..Well, having a good plan made a big difference yesterday. That says so very much. Big credit. Glad you are working on your strategies. Maintaining a weight loss is as hard as losing. Credit for working on it.

Thistime7 - refusing cake is a major credit. You will love your steamer. Credit for staying with steak and salad!

gardener joy - big HOORAY for winning the BL contest! Glad to hear the food at the opera worked out well.

Shout out to anyone else stopping by.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #82

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I'm still SORE from the triathlon. Wow. Did I say SORE? Is there a little dancing sore dude? Going back to work today, since I think I can maintain some sort of mental coherency for more than 10 minutes straight.

So today is Day 0. What? My real-life partner did the race with me and needs an extra day, and I need to re-read the intro stuff in Beck Diet Solution. So, off to a flying start with Day 0.

Since I'm not new to this, I've done these things:
  • Made a food plan for today.
  • Took my vitamins and fish oil.
  • Posted here.
  • Ripped and downloaded the Beck CDs to my iPhone.
  • Recorded my food intake.
  • Weighed in. No, it wasn't pretty.

Homework for today/tonight listen to and/or read the Beck intro stuff.

Now let's see if I remember how to do personals.

new2me2 Alaska sounds beautiful. Also sounds like you had a good food day. Hard to do on a trip.

Lexxiss Hurray for sane food days, and for making an effort to post late.

seadwaters I know the 2.4 lbs feels good, and yes, you get desensitized after a while, but the big jumps still make a difference, either way, so might as well get excited about it.

BillBE Nice work at your meeting. Sometimes it is tough to remember that good enough is. My 40 days is working through the Beck steps again. Puts me back in the mindset, and refreshes old habits.

Beverlyjoy Nice work on changing up your day to account for your pain, and still meet your primary goal. This is something Beck doesn't talk about much, and is a useful skill to have for the long term. Day 41. What to do when life intervenes.

and maryblu Just finished the new Michael Scott book, The Necromancer. Nice!!

Hello to everyone! Back tomorrow.

Anne
-from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman
Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #83
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/188/183

We took a private "surrey" tour (really it's a big golf cart) of the Missouri Botanical Garden with some friends. Not as much exercise as I normally get during a day at the Garden, but it was fun and we learned a lot. I think our friends enjoyed the experience.

WI: +0.35kg, Exercise: +30 355/1600 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

AnneWonders: I like your new version of your username. Congrats on completing the triathlon! Great job on Day 0 when Day 1 didn't quite materialize. That seems very Beckian.

new2me2: your cruise sounds lovely! Good job eating lightly yesterday.

Lexxiss: yay for Alaskan seafood!

seadwaters: it sounds like your working out your evening eating -- good job with thinking that through. I've started prioritizing my vices. Overeating is the worst thing I can do. So, if the one thing standing in the way is mindless web browsing and/or playing spider solitaire on the computer, I'll go ahead and do it even if it's not exactly my ideal way of spending my time.

BillBlueEyes: great job getting in your workout and dealing with a meeting with food on the same night!

Beverlyjoy: Great job not overeating in an attempt to fix pain (I've tried that -- Naproxen works better) and I hope you're feeling better! And yay for be willing to take medicine that may slow your weight loss. I think that's happening when we accept that we are working on a long term goal and have achieved the patience necessary for it.

Project: back to goal, 5 pounds at a time
My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #84

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Had a good OP day yesterday. It’s always nice when things are easy. I wish I knew what makes an easy day and bottle it. I had projects that kept me active and moving for most of the day and I did some yoga. That felt like a reward rather than exercise.

I just got back from helping out with a neighbors branding. We headed out pretty early this AM and I spent the day running a vaccine gun. I’m pretty tired out now. But I did successfully survive another branding potluck. I stuck to the salads and skipped the high fat fare. It helps that it has meat in it. I split a great dessert with DH, so I kept it at a reasonable portion. DH had to leave for a conference, so it’s just me and the dogs right now. I’m pretty tired out, but the dogs didn’t get any exercise and are acting like they need it. I’ll take them for a walk this evening when things cool off and I’ve had a chance to rest.

ThisTime7, congrats on getting a steamer as a prize! Great job skipping the cakes at the dog show and sticking to healthy food while everyone else was having goodies.

Gardenerjoy, I’m living vicariously through your description of the opera. It sounds like a great night and fun costumes. It sounds like a great night out. Kudos for leaving some of the meal just for practice. Big congrats for winning the challenge! Consistency is a much better strength than speed. Lot’s of people lose weight quickly only to find it back on just as quickly. It’s the consistency that will keep it off.

AnneWonders, thanks to Seadwaterrs I just noticed you had a name change. Yay for finishing a triathlon and having fun. I am so impressed that you were able to train for it with your busy schedule. Best of luck on your 40 day push. You’re inspiring me to do one of my own.

New2me2, Glacier Bay sounds so lovely. It sounds like such a great trip. Great job recovering from the fudge incident. It was such a revelation to discover that treats are better when planned. Now if I could just remember that consistently. . .

Lexxiss, yep, yardwork will still be there when you have time to do it. Glad your travel day was good and you got an Alaska treat coming to you.

Seadwaters, the ups and downs of the everyday weigh ins can be tough at first, but you’re right that you will eventually be desensitized (or desensitised, LOL). You’re doing great coming up with strategies to deal with that evening snacking.

BillBE, kudos for squeezing in a workout before your meeting. Great job skipping those dangerous pastries and for facing down that food for a couple of hours. You had asked me a while back if WY had cowgirls. I was at a branding today that had some serious cowgirls. Lots of girls roping and wrestling calves. That neighbor had 3 daughters and they have all become serious ranchers of their own. They’re inspiring for this new ranch girl.

Beverlyjoy, great job sticking to your calorie limit in a day with twists and turns. Ouch for the back pain, but glad you are taking care of yourself. Kudos for not eating through the pain.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #85

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Greetings from Ketchikan! Didn't do too much today. Leisurely got ready this morning and my friend and I took a short walk into the town for some shopping. It wasn't much, but we were tired from yesterday, lol.

Did my reading today: cards and a chapter from the book, although I think I am behind a day or two which is fine. I wanted to take my time with it.

Because I wanted some of the locally made candy here, I ate lightly for breakfast, and will eat lightly for dinner again too. I'm skipping lunch...the coconut truffles were my lunch.

We set sail today at 4:00 p.m., then two sea days, then back to San Francisco. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I am looking forward to getting back to my eating plan!

I do not think I've gained much, if any, weight. I put on one of those new pairs of jeans today and they still fit! Yay!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #86
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Today has been a good food day.*credit* I seemed to think things through, except for 2 bites at Costco which I take full responsibility for (one was Alaskan smoked salmon. lol Dinner is in stages while I watch NBA finals. Celtics. I actually took some food off my plate before I sat down. *credit* Tomorrow, I'm off to the airport early to p/u DH. : I got him treats at Costco today and went one step healthier. I don't think he'll notice the difference.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for a stellar performance at your monthly meeting.

Donna (new2me2), your visit to Ketchikan sounded perfect! *credit* again for planning ahead.

Shepherdess, what a busy day, and yay for proper potluck behavior...and *credit* for making sure the pups get out, too.

gardenerjoy, *credit* for prioritizing your vices. Very interesting, and actually during these past few weeks I've done that, too.

AnneWonders, *credit* for recognizing you needed one more recovery day.

Beverlyjoy, *credit* for not eating when feeling bad. I hope you are getting rested.

Cheryl (seadwaters) Yay for scale movement! *credit* for thinking of evening distraction techniques. When I knit, I definitely don't think about food.

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!

Last edited by Lexxiss : 06-08-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #87

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Talking

Hi Coaches

A quick check in - I will post personals tomorrow morning. A good day - on plan which is always good. I need to eventually rethink my snacks - while I am staying in the calorie range I don't think they are all the best or healthiest choices

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - no
- Planned my day - yes
- Made food plan - yes
- Food on-plan - YES
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - yes
- Put down fork occasionally - sometimes - not enough
- Weighed myself - Yes - back DOWN AGAIN - Yipee - from 216.4 to 215.4
- Drank water - not enough
- Exercise - yes - aqua fitness - good fun but very cold between the pool and the change rooms
- Resistance techniques - yes
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Snacks as healthy options

Have a great day Beckies
-------
Cheryl

Short Term Goal

Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #88

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Took my four-mile route walk after work; CREDIT moi. My walking has been reduced for the standard variety of reasons, so it was good to be back. I remembered that I used to regularly want to stop at Whole Foods for samples and was pleased that that wasn't on my mental agenda. Was inspired to pass a 96 year-old friend out for his daily walk - he's one of life's winners.

Eating was on plan; CREDIT moi.

Anne (AnneWonders) - OUCH for SORE - you really work yourself. Love reading that you ripped the Beck CD's to your iPhone - didn't read that idea in Beck, LOL. Day 0 should be incorporated into Beck's official plan since the first several chapters are among her best, IMO.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Getting a tour of the Gardens that you know so well sounds like a fun idea.

Shepherdess - Yay for surviving another branding pot-luck. And Yay for WY Cowgirls. Are you a rider yourself?

Beverlyjoy - Yep, Kudos indeed for not overeating in response to back pain.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - ETA a wave as you cross-post.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Well, glad you had a good day, but share your chagrin about the Celtics performance in the NBA last night. Just Ouch.

Donna (new2me2) - Waving again toward Ketchikan for the last two days of your Alaska tour - where there won't be any local homemade candy to deal with, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies

Access your success. Once you get back home, think about how you did. If you weren't able to follow your food plan, what will you do differently next time? If you had trouble, the task was just too challenging. Try it again and prepare yourself better before you go.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 215.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month

Last edited by BillBlueEyes : 06-09-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #89

S/C/G: 299/282/170

Quick check in this morning with my coaches.

I am very busy and sill trying to find sanity/balance. I have been mostly on plan with eating since the major melt down last week. I have been keeping on track about 80% of the time with exercising and doing weights. This is good because exercise has always been the first thing to go when I get too busy.

I believe that practicing Beck skills is making all the difference to me right now. Even when I am not eating completely low fat-low calorie I am eating much more "normally", i.e. not binging, not eating while multitasking, eating relatively healthy. So progress is being made. I think I am finally grasping how to lose the all or nothing thinking.

Am off to the city for another hotel stay tonight. That is also much less of a struggle for me. I am now only staying in hotels with minifridges and am packing healthy snacks and breakfast and for dinner I am either eating out healthy (Subway etc) or picking up healthy foods for the room. I seem to have gotten past the hotel room= order pizza or chinese food thinking. As Beverlyjoy would say: Grateful. Grateful I found the Beck book and grateful I found this forum.

Have a good day everyone.

Regroup: August 29, 2014 at 292
Five pounds gone: Sept 6th
Another five gone: Sept 27th

One for every 5 pounds:

Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #90
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/188/183

NSV: I bought a pair of size 14 jeans yesterday! There's some vanity sizing involved there, but I'll take it!

None of my clothes fit. I got to this weight a couple of years ago and was too cheap to buy new clothes. I think, unconsciously, I had to put the weight back on so that I had clothes that fit! This time, I'm taking a different approach and buying at least a few pieces that fit as I go along. So far, most of my purchases had been dressier clothes, so I was finding myself with nothing to wear for casual occasions. Yesterday, I got jeans, four form-fitting shirts, and a denim jacket that was on sale. All in sizes that I haven't worn in years.

WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +90 445/1600 minutes for June, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Shepherdess: you are getting really good at those branding potlucks!

new2me2: I'm really enjoying your vacation through your descriptions for us!

Lexxiss: love that you went one step healthier on treats while DH was gone! A few more trips out of town and you'll have him eating raw carrots dipped in hummus!

seadwaters: yay for an on plan day! Have you read any of the books about healthy foods? The SuperFoods books by Stephen Pratt or the giant books like The 150 Healthies Foods on Earth by Jonny Bowden or The World's Healthiest Foods by George Mateljan. I found them helpful when planning healthy snacks, with some surprising results, like my snack of dark chocolate chips and nuts. These were all library books, because I got what I wanted from the in a few weeks and didn't feel a need to own them.

BillBlueEyes: good job on the four mile walk and recognizing the changed thinking that keeps Whole Foods samples off the agenda

CeeJay: so glad you're noticing progess in all ways -- a loosening grip of all or nothing thinking is huge, I think

Project: back to goal, 5 pounds at a time
My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.