Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #31  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I may be overdoing it a bit on exercise. I seem to have less energy this week than last. Or, maybe, it's just being busier that's doing it!

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +70 160/1600 minutes for June, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: there are actually books on gardening as exercise! I found three at my library when I went looking, which just astounded me. My favorite was Gardening Your Way to Health and Fitness by Bunny Guinness. Get Fit Through Gardening by Jeffrey Restuccio was pretty interesting, too -- it actually had workout routines like weed for 5 minutes, then rake for 5 minutes. But I wasn't willing to do the set up required for that sort of plan.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I would have thought a Range Management workshop would be active, but we spent most of the time standing around looking through plant identification books. It’s funny that all that standing around can make you so sleepy, but DH and I were both joking that by the end of the day, we were both ready to take a nap next to so some sagebrush. I didn’t feel like going for a run in the evening, but I did anyways, so credit for that.

Food was not great. They did serve lunch at the workshop, but there wasn’t much there for me to eat. I got home sleepy and hungry, a bad combination and started munching trail mix with no mind to portion sizes. Oh well. Just a reminder that I need to plan better. I knew there wouldn’t be much for me to eat and I either should have packed some food for myself or planned on feeling hungry and prepared to deal with it. But instead I just thought things would magically work themselves out. So lesson learned.

Seadwaters, yay for feeling snug and happy indoors while the rain falls. Kudos for getting right back on plan after eating a bit too much at lunch. I have a tough time leaving food on my plate as well.

BillBE, it’s annoying that the contractor didn’t show up and you missed your walk. I think skipping your snack deserves some credit. Any slight change in my plans sends me snacking so a change from that pattern always deserves credit.

Nuxmaga, lentil stew at the Ethopian restaurant sounds fantastic and healthy. Kudos for leaving some bread on your plate. Best of luck surviving the heat and the baked goods at your Farmer’s market.

Lexxiss, cheering you on for leaving some food on your plate. I’m still a card carrying member of the Clean Plate club. Yay for feeling positive about Beck! Best of luck on your road trip and credit for planning ahead.

New2me2, yay for a cruise that serves small (or should I say normal) portions! Kudos for practicing hunger and for getting in all that walking.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for remembering those lessons learned from the hunger exercise and not being in a panic about a late dinner. I still struggle with that one.

Nathy, great job coming out of the store a winner! It is difficult when food is tied to strong emotions and it seems like so many memories are centered around eating events.

Gardenerjoy, I need to take some tips from you about planning difficult food events ahead of time. It’s so important to staying on track. I hate those heat waves and the end of cool weather vegetables. My kale is just starting to sprout, so if you haven’t found any, maybe I can send you some, LOL. Kudos for being so active. Hope the tired is a good tired.

Texasmama, hope you’re feeling better. I’ve been lucky enough to not suffer from migraines. The behavior aspect is pretty unique to Beck. There are lots of good diets out there, but sticking with them is the tough part. Kudos for taking the plunge into Beck.

Onebyone, congrats on the bride-to-be. I agree with BillBE about the summer solstice wedding. DH and I have 2 anniversaries, one in Sept when we got our first apartment together and one in July when we actually got hitched 7 yrs later. If we forget one, we can usually celebrate the other, LOL. Kudos for recognizing that staying on track makes your life easier. You’ve got a lot going on right now, so it’s an important realization.

CeeJay, yay for the 5 lb mini-goal being in sight! Great job staying OP to make that happen, particularly when your life is so stressful.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 214/210/180

Height: 5'8"

I have to laugh at this....I was feeling stressed about getting ready to do Stage 2, and plan eating, etc...I was going around thinking " I really don't know how to think like a thin person yet"...(credit for knowing things need to change !).
There was even some stress eating involved.

Turned out I had jumped ahead in the book 40 pages to the "Cheat Sheet" pages, and had not even been through all the strategies/success skills

Duh. Feeling much better now. There is a roadmap and I will follow it.

ponee
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Hello all, I'm going to jump right in here! I am working on stage 1, just got the book last week. I have to run out the door to class, but I will be back! I am so excited to see the Beck plan here in 3FC. Can't wait to get to know you all!s

ETA:
While I was at class, my new scale arrived (it also has a body composition thingy on there too, which should be fun). So I give myself credit for biting the bullet and buying a new scale (I have been really scared to have one before, until I started weighing myself at the Y for the 100lb club challenges this month). I already started on a very low key plan with my doctor and nutritionist but I'm holding off on even peeking ahead in the book right now until I get part 1 down pat. I got my business cards and my index cards and my little box today. Time to take a deep breath and not try to do everything at once!

Last edited by tigerchild; 06-03-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: back from class
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #35  
Practicing Imperfection

Hello All,
Welcome to our new members!

I tracked food, credit. Didn't get under calorie goal, oh well. Made dinner rather than giving into eating out, credit. Didn't walk at lunch, sigh. It was a beastly hot day and I need to walk the halls at work or something to get some exercise. Went for the lesser of the evils when I craved something sweet after work, credit. After work, I walk by a vending machine, gift shop and drug store on the way to the car, and I am very subsceptible to getting a junk snack.

onebyone--I vote for Summer Solstice! My husband and I have two anniveraries--the one when we first went out(which is the full moon in April) and our wedding date in June. It is fun to celebrate twice!

Bill--I was actually disappointed by the large portion of injera bread, because I felt the old compulsion to eat it all, in spite of not needing that much, so it was a victory that I did leave some!

Beverly Joy--sorry to hear about your back. I've had back troubles, and it is very frustrating. Jon Kabat-Zinn's body scan exercise helped a lot, as did the McKenzie exercises.

Hope to do more personals soon.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday evening

Dear Coaches

Well it has been rain, rain and more rain. A lot of local flooding but not here. Mind you I live in a pole house and occasionally think about sliding down the hill. But it is wonderful to be able to work at home with the thunderous rain on the tin roof. And the pool was of course the best place to be - any sort of outdoor activity was impossible. I have had a good on-plan day so far today. My weight was down again today for the third day in a row which is great. The cold and wet brings out the inner glutton whom I have to severely spank and send to the naughty step occasionally - am currently winning that battle so Credit Me! Tomorrow morning I am going to go to the local farmers market and see what I can pick up to cook over the weekend - unless it is totally rained out of course

BillBlueEyes - well you have two posts to catch up on today because I have jumped the gun and am posting early to snuggle down and enjoy the rain after I turn off this computer beast which is occupying a lot of my time. I am hoping I am using fat with all this hunger. Does your post mean I can eat MORE on the days I exercise??

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope you had a great day

Nuxmaga - Great list of credits - and huge credit for walking past those alluring vending machines - they are not to be trusted

Onebyone - Summer solstice sounds like the romantic choice - and it is soon!

Ponee - Glad you realised you had leapt ahead to the "advanced" part of the program! It is much more manageable in small steps

Shepherdess - I also find it amazing how doing nothing at a lecture / class / workshop not only makes you sleepy, it makes you starving. Well sone for pushing yourself into and energising run. Ouch for off plan eating but as you say - lesson learned

Tigerchild - Great self control to do the program stages one at a time - well done. It is good if you try to 'master' the early stages first apparently. Great to see you here and good luck with your progress

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - no
- Planned my day - yes
- Made food plan - yes
- Food on-plan - YES
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - yes
- Put down fork occasionally - - not really - will try for dinner time
- Weighed myself - Yes - back down again AGAIN - 216.4 (-0.6)lb !!
- Drank water - Yes
- Exercise - Yes -
- Resistance techniques - A lot
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Planning for the weekend and developing a shopping list for the farmer's market

Have a good day Beckies
-------
Cheryl
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #37  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome tigerchild

tigerchild

And, in honor of your first week on 3 Fat Chicks,

How did you find out about the Beck books?

And how did you find this thread on 3FC?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating OP and gym; CREDIT moi and CREDIT moi. The challenge is this evening at our favorite Mexican restaurant. I know how to do well with the entree, it's those d*rn chips and salsa to be dealt with.

Decided to ignore the clouds and walk to the gym with no rain gear. Walked home in a WY style cloud burst with lightning and thunder; got soaked to the skin with sneakers also soaked from the rivers of water running down the sidewalks. Felt kind of good - reminded me of childhood.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Ouch for passing so many temptations daily to get to your car - with Kudos for just walking right by. You made me think about the injera bread; maybe next time I'm at an Ethiopian restaurant I won't eat the bread from the basket and only eat the ones under the food. That would help with my problem of being done with the meal and facing a platter of injera bread saturated with yummy flavors.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for too much exercise - it'll make you younger. Can't believe that someone beat me to the genius idea of an exercise while gardening book. I'm astounded also.

Shepherdess - Ouch for recovery eating - that one can get to me, also, as well as expecting things to "magically work themselves out" instead of planning for some odd event. Maybe you'll be the one to convince the state of WY that vegetarians exist, LOL.

Apparently, you'd better watch out because the BBC suggests that your little friends aren't so dumb, BBC - Crafty Sheep Conquer Cattle Grids.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Well, two days now of "rain, rain and more rain" should well mean flooding. (What's a "pole house?") LOL at the "naughty step" - in US English we get sent to a corner. Yep, you do have to eat more on days you exercise - to prevent losing weight. I just read an article on the web with the rather unremarkable insight that the advice to eat before exercise was wrong - if you don't eat, your muscles will be forced to burn fat! Of course, they pointed out that the athletes who ate before performed better, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Good luck with your four hour road trip. It's hard for me to stay away from thinking about food when in the car for that long.

ponee - Yep, there's a roadmap - you just follow the yellow brick road.

tigerchild - Kudos for diving right in with the book, scale, and supplies. Yep, practicing all the strategies is key to mastering Beck. Are you reading the green book?

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies

Plan in advance how much you're going to eat. It's fine to eat a little more than usual - perhaps up to 25 percent more calories than you ordinarily would have eaten for that meal. If you don't eat out very often the extra food shouldn't appreciably slow down your rate of weight loss.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 214.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks... DH's server was down yesterday - ugh. It would have done me well to have had internet access yesterday.

Yesterday was the first time in several weeks that was so off. I just gave in to all the goodies in their home. It feels terrible. It was like a frenzy of eating things I hadn't eaten in a long time - lots of chocolate, graham crackers, cheese crackers, and pie. I think I was just not willing to keep trying my resistance techniques once I gave in to the food. Sigh.

Today I am willing to try again. Onward.

DH asked me to stay one more day. He's needed to do so many things while I've been here this week. Today he has the whole day free. Today I planned to go home - but, we could finally have some time to hang out.

I've enjoyed my time here.

Have a GREAT day everyone.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #40  
Green Tomatoes

NSV: I wore a shirt tucked in with no jacket yesterday for the first time in, oh, twenty years, at least. It was a nice slightly dressy summer look that I missed having in my repertoire.

Credit for making chocolate frozen yogurt with a peanut butter ripple and not licking anything! It took repeating my mantra "wash it off" and dumping everything in the sink as quickly as possible, before I had time to think about it too much.

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +75 235/1600 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Shepherdess: Good job on getting your exercise in when you didn't feel like it and learning from the food experience.

ponee: yay for realizing that a) you're not ready and b) you've got a roadmap to get ready! That seems like a very powerful epiphany.

tigerchild: welcome! kudos for starting off with a new scale.

Nuxmaga: good job working out the lesser of evils when hungry.

seadwaters: way to go resisting comfort foods on rainy days -- they do seem to go together, but a swim and working with rain on the roof sounds much better!

BillBlueEyes: yay for enjoying walking in the rain!

Beverlyjoy: ouch for the uncontrolled eating but good job finding your way back to willingness.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #41  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Another busy day here. I got home very late last night but got to the pool at 730am for water aerobics.*credit* I had errands around town and had some spontaneous exercise while the car was at the shop. I feel good today and tried to "think like a thin person" while I was out and about. Had a thin person yummy lunch but contemplated taking a rain check in favor of a nap on this afternoons planned hike. *credit* I'm going to do it anyway and may get back for personals later.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hello all!

Welcome Tigerchild!

Things are still going well. I overate slightly yesterday when the carving guy at the buffet sliced me a hefty portion of roast, but fortunately had not taken much other stuff. I'm eating only about 3 times a day which is unusual for me. My portions are still small although I'm probably eating more at one time than I normally do per meal, but eating only 3 times evens that out.

We had our first port yesterday which was Victoria, B.C. My friend and I just walked around the downtown area for a while. I had a craving for something sweet and there was a chocolate store there and fortunately they were giving out small samples. I had one of those and that was enough. Yay. I also found my charm for my 1st 5 pounds lost...it's a maple leaf to remember Canada.

We are at sea today, tomorrow is Juneau, where I have a ziplining/glacier tour combo.

I've been reading my book & cards every day. I've been taking the stairs when possible and I've been practicing hunger. We've been eating at the buffet mostly but I've been taking very small portions, so it's been okay.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #43  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I'm melting here, but am packed up for the craft show. I'm hoping we don't get the forecast thunderstorms. I have been "magically hoping" things will work out foodwise tomorrow at the show, which is not going to work. I am up several pounds. Oh, well. I need a strategy tomorrow. I'm being distracted by visions of baked good vendors. . .sigh.

For the good news though, we got a call that a spot opened up at our local CSA farm, and we got to go pick up veggies this afternoon! Has anyone had kohlrabi? I've never had it. There's all sorts of good lettuce, green onions, sugar snap peas and radishes. I am excited.

Well, off to bed for an early morning.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Hello all!

Today has been a pretty good day. I made my advantages deck. I am still working on sitting down for every meal, I think that's probably going to be THE hardest thing that I have to master in this stage. I had lunch on the run, but did sit for breakfast, and took my time and ENJOYED dinner. I could have planned my time better to sit for lunch, but I chose to try to do two things at once (catch up on email and eat). Next time I will choose differently! I'm worth it!

Today was such a busy day, it's almost the end of the school year, so lots of events going on at my kids' school. I was in and out of there about 3 times today! I know that it's only going to get more frantic until school is out for the summer, but I am guarding my time at the Y to work out. Even though normally I would be binging myself silly and tearing out my hair from the stress, exercising and making the effort to take a deep breath and make calm choices has paid off--mostly in lowering my stress level! I actually feel happy and upbeat instead of cranky and snappy. I am still a little scared to try the hunger/meal skipping experiment because of everything else going on...I think I'm going to concentrate on the habits first before I move on to the experiments. I'm not going to let fear/anxiety keep me from doing them, though. I think I will have a better chance of success and learning if I'm a little more grounded in "the basics" first!

Cheryl: Did you make your list for the farmer's market? What did you get? It is super rainy and dreary here in Seattle right now too.

BillBlueEyes: I was browsing the library shelves, looking for something that would give me a little more eating plan structure (I have been calorie counting for about a month now) oddly enough, and I found the book. When I picked it up and thumbed through it, it really appealed to me. Intellectually, I know the formula for weight loss but I've always known I needed a cognitive/behavioral plan as well. I had thought about adding a therapist to my weight loss team, and I might still, but I think I'm going to give this a whirl first. I discovered 3FC a few weeks ago, when I put "weight loss support board" in google. I was surpised and delighted to see a board dedicated to Beck--I don't know how long the subboard has been here but I never noticed until after I got the book!

Gardenerjoy: Congrats on the tucked-in look! That must have felt wonderful. I bet you looked great too!

Beverlyjoy: You have an awesome attitude. You are real about overeating, but you know you are going to get right back on plan! That is so powerful! I'm happy you had such a good visit.

Donna: It sounds like you are having a great time! That is really cool that you were able to have a little sample, enjoy it, and be satisfied! That's neat that you were in the perfect spot to get a charm to reward yourself too.

Nuxmaga: I love kohlrabi! It's one of my favorite veggies we get from our CSA! I peel them if they need it, chop, and stir fry them. They are also really good steamed. I think they taste a little like broccoli stems (my favorite part of the broccoli) but with a little more flavor. Very mild and tasty. If you get any leaves they are pretty good in stir fry too as long as they're young.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:26 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday Evening

Hi Coaches

Today was sunny and pleasant - a good day for the Farmers Market. It was enjoyable to buy grass fed Angus Beef and Salt-bush Lamb - both of which are as high in Omega 3 (well certainly the lamb) as Salmon! And I got lots of fresh veggies. My freezer is replete with all sorts of goodies. I managed to walk about without too much difficulty and got to park nice and close. When I came home and had a bit of a rest I took the dogs to the park by myself - for the first time in a year - so I must be feeling better both in mood and physically. I have taken them with the local kids (where I sit in one spot and they all run around me) but this is the first time I have felt physically able to venture out with them on my own. The exercise is paying off!

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - no
- Planned my day - yes
- Made food plan - yes
- Food on-plan - YES
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - not at lunch time
- Put down fork occasionally - - ummm - no, not yet
- Weighed myself - Yes - back UP AGAIN - 217.8lb !! Tomorrow is weigh in drat
- Drank water - Yes
- Exercise - shopping and dog walking
- Resistance techniques - A lot to stay away from market food - which I did except for a planned lunch
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Staying positive and on plan

Have a great day Beckies
-------
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 06-05-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Closed Thread