Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #241  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We bought a new (to us) car yesterday! It all happened very fast. This is our first used car purchase, so were more used to thinking about it for months and then ordering it from the factory. After all, they can always build another one! But we've decided to switch our preference from standard transmission to automatic, which opened up more options for us on the used market. And, when you find something you like on the used market, the sale needs to happen before someone else gets your car!

We got a 2008 Infinity M35 sedan. It was a leased car and has all of the amenities including the graphical navigation screen, back-up camera, and leather seats that are heated and cooled. A big step up from the Subaru wagon that we trade it in for.

Some of you may remember that we bought a new big truck a few months ago. That replaced a smaller truck that DH had been using as his car. But the big truck doesn't work as well for that, so he started driving "my" car and didn't like it all -- the seats weren't comfortable and it wasn't sporty enough. We also realized the last few months that we aren't using the wagon features anymore and would probably be happier with something with a nice big trunk, instead.

WI: N/Akg, Exercise: +60 1360/1600 minutes for June, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

new2me2: Hope you are getting along well with your 19 points!

FutureFitChick: yay for posting! And all the other credits!

seadwaters: good job getting ready for your trip and including Beck in all the planning and packing!

BillBlueEyes: way to go with not only eating healthy food but tempting others, too!

onebyone: I trust your intuition that making progress on your space will help with everything -- that just getting moving on something is what is required when feeling stuck.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches, friends, becksters...

I am on DS's computer. My computer won't let me log into 3fc - says it's a huge threat to my computer. What's that all about?? I am computer challenged. I am going to have to figure out how to 'fix' this. I can't use DH's computer all the time. (it's is one given to him by his company)

So glad to be home sweet home!! Always feels good to be back in my own 'food comfort zone'. My weekend away for the wedding and with my sore jaw went mostly well. Yesterday was my day to allow extra while on my trip. Probably, a too much extra. But - I mostly did well on my trip. I am grateful for that.

The wedding was so joyous. I had forgotten that the groom doesn't eat sugar...ever. It's his personal choice for weight and general health reasons. (he lost about 100 pounds 5 years ago and is now a health/no sugar advocate and coach) So, the 'cake' was a table of fruit done in a beautiful mosaic design. Also..in the middle were there sculpted water mellons. They were in done in the shape of roses. The one in the middle had the bride and grooms name and date. It was a striking combination. DS was the best man. Fun afternoon.

I will try to get back here later. I need to figure out my computer stuff.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Beckies!

My official weigh in today...I was down a fraction of a pound from last week. I'll take the fractions! I also lost some inches and fractions thereof.

My first day of counting points went very well. I hadn't written out a plan the night before because I hadn't shopped yet and didn't know what I'd actually end up with, but I DID plan each meal before I went into the kitchen and I did consider how THAT would affect the rest of the day. As it turns out, I was so concerned about the stupid points I still had two left when I went to bed. I didn't even need to use any of the 35 extra weekly points. All that was okay for yesterday, but they really WANT you to use all your daily points every day, and they really want you to use at least some of those 35 weekly extras. Each point is worth roughly 50 calories, so only eating 17 is less than 1000 calories, which isn't much healthier than overeating, lol.

I actually had to eat a couple cups of watermelon and a piece of CHOCOLATE to even get in the 17th point.

Today should be better though. Now I know I don't have to be so stingy and I've shopped and have the proper foods. I'll be cooking my lunches for the week today, so that will all be portion controlled and points calculated so I won't have to think about it. I don't have a written plan yet, but am doing what I did yesterday and planning it before I go into the kitchen.

FutureFitChick Don't be annoyed with yourself...it takes time to change a mindset that took years to form (one of my favorite lines in the Beck book)

seadwaters(Cheryl) Have a good trip!

BillBlueEyes Your dinner sounds wonderful! Good job on another stellar eating day! Yay on your walk and all the great fun for only $8! I'm seeing a lot of "Beck's" ideas in some of the WW materials too!

onebyone Ouch for the lousy selling day! I hope the guy in CA buys the painting! GREAT job for not overeating because you're tense! I LOVE your plan to dejunk. I SOOOOO need to do that as well. What I need to do can seem overwhelming, but broken down into little chunks it's not so bad.

gardenerjoy Congratulations on your "new" car! Sounds wonderful!

Beverlyjoy Huh...we have some pretty good firewalls and anti-viral/spamware stuff at work, and it let me come here. I wonder if your settings are very strict? Glad the wedding was wonderul and what a great idea to have fruit instead of cake!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #244  

FYI - All the Norton subscribers are getting the virus messages at 3fc. The virus is in the blogs. Not the forums. That's what it said at the Announcements forum.

Stay out of the blogs for now - they said.

Someone said their computer got 'fried' when they went on a 3fc blog.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/anno...-warnings.html

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-27-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #245  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Faced another rest stop on my long drive home where FREE donuts and FREE hot dogs were offered. Just used, Not About Me and kept going - CREDIT moi. It's so interesting to me that the strongest appeal was the FREE. It was good to eat dinner at home where there wasn't a sweet dessert offered as there was when visiting the relatives.

Got in my four mile walk, CREDIT moi, in the morning before the heat of the day set in. When we stopped at rest stops, I walked for about ten minutes but that was just to wake up the legs - don't achieve much cardio in just ten minutes.

onebyone - Kudos for feeling tense but not eating over it - that's a wonderful hurdle to cross. I do like your counter for accumulating your clutter efforts. Yep, all that electronics gone is another Kudos for sure.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for recognizing that your car needs had changed and for striking quickly when you found what you wanted. Beware of those navigation units - I've got friends who've forgotten how to use maps because they've so grown to rely on their GPS units, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - That sugar-free wedding is such a creative way to simply avoid the white stuff on an occasion when many folks would think one just has to have a traditional wedding cake. Congrats to that young man for introducing the idea into the minds of his guests - and then into the minds of whoever his guests tell.

Thanks for the heads up about the Norton Virus Protection warning about the 3FC blog area. I see that the Suzanne's Norton Warning Announcement shows that the warning can be avoided by using latest versions of software.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for chocolate for rescuing you from insufficient points for the day. (Yay for chocolate anyway, LOL.) Yep, fractions lost count. Kudos for getting into your Weight Watchers stuff seriously.

Readers -
Quote:
day 31
Decide About Drinking

Does your diet plan discourage alcohol? If so, how do you feel about giving it up? Drinking alcohol is an individual choice. My personal decision is to have a drink only occasionally because Id much rather spend my calories on food.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 220.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-28-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #246  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I keep talking about returning to my routine and this may finally be my opportunity. My weekend had two off plan events. We won't discuss Sat. night, but last night I used Beck techniques; small portions, didn't go crazy at the dessert table and most noteworthy, didn't take any of them home when they were offered as a reward for helping with cleanup after the fundraiser. *credit* I've already posted my menu at SBD *credit* and am looking forward to getting back to basics.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for once again resisting FREE foods (and really awful ones). There's nothing like a hotdog/donut stop to put all good eating to rest! I turned a slight shade of "envious green" when I read about your New Joy of Cooking for only $1. lol

Donna (new2me2), *credit* for jumping into your new point system...and for noticing that less than 1000 calories isn't much healthier than overeating.

Beverlyjoy, my hat is tipped to the groom who doesn't eat sugar and made the decision to stick with his plan, despite many social standards which would dictate otherwise. *credit* for recognizing how much you enjoy your own "food comfort zone".

gardenerjoy, congrats! on a nearly new sporty vehicle!

onebyone, *credit* for coming up with a decluttering plan. When other fronts seem blocked and shut down, it does help to clear a path at home...with a plan which doesn't lead straight to "overwhelmed". I hope you hear from your painting guy soon!

I have recognized that getting to the kitchen and doing some OP meal preparation is essential this AM, and have let go of my desire to get back to the personals that I didn't finish before my last whirlwind of activity. to everyone! I really appreciate all your thoughtful posts even when I don't get to say so!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #247  

Hi Beck coaches and buddies. … So glad to be home. Yesterday I got back into some of my Beck routine. I planned/measured/logged/and counted calories for the whole day. Credit! It was nice to actually have more ‘control’ being back home. I didn’t, however, do all the Beck tasks. I am striving for that today. DH brought home some dark chocolate and I ate and counted it in. It wasn’t planned. I wanted more, of course - but, then decided to use my resistance techniques. I don’t want to go down the road of lots of unplanned eating.

One of the response cards that I have been thinking about alot is from the Stop Fooling Yourself section. It reads: The next time you have the urge to eat something not on your plan, notice what is going thru your mind. It's often a discussion/conflict/...fooling yourself . Boy that hits me right between the eyes...because when I am thinking about unplanned food - I DO have that 'discussion' with myself. "I shouldn't eat this....." or "It's OK to eat this maybe....or "This little bit won't hurt..."

Yesterday -
Planned, logged, measured, calories - all the time
Ate seated - most of the time
Fork down - some of the time
Fullness, tasting - some of the time
Mindful - some of the time
Beck book - no
Arc/rc - no
Exercises - yes
Leave a bite - all the time

Lexxiss - great job on NOT taking home any goodies. I totally can relate to the comfort of getting back into the routine. Carry on!

Billbe - major credit for passing up hot dogs and donuts….you rock! I am really impressed with your four mile walk and walks at the rest stops too. You are really ‘living it’.
Regarding the virus stuff - my software is all up to date…so I don’t know why I still get the message that there is a virus. The 3fc are working on getting rid of them. I am glad it’s not in the forums! (just the blogs)

New2me2 - fractions of weight down do count. Remember that one quarter of a pound is equal to one stick of butter! I’ve never done the WW points system. My good friend has - says once you figure it all out and get used to it, it gets easier.

gardener joy - enjoy your new ‘wheels’!! Good job on reading all your response cards, too.

Onebyone - major credit for feeling tense and NOT eating over it. Sorry the market didn’t go as well as you had hoped. Good job on the clutter.

Seadwaters - sound like you are well prepared for your trip…credit. Packing your Beck ‘stuff’ will really really help. I suggest that you take time to read your response cards every morning. The days I do that when I am traveling are the days I do the best. Have a good trip.

Futurefitchick - you are doing many of the Beck tasks…that is a credit. I think it takes time and energy to get it all part of the daily routine. Carry on!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-28-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #248  
Green Tomatoes

I woke up in Onederland this morning! Thank you all for supporting me so far and I'm counting on you for more. The last time that I lost weight, this is as far as I got. This time, I want to keep going down instead of reversing directions!

WI: -0.75kg (new low), Exercise: +80 1440/1600 minutes for June, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

Beverlyjoy: glad you're home and finding yourself in the food comfort zone! I appreciate your postings to the Norton Warnings thread. I hope they get that worked out soon!

new2me2: sounds like you are getting a great start with Weight Watchers!

BillBlueEyes: good job with the trip home and avoiding the allure of FREE!

Lexxiss: yay for using your Beck strategies to avoid overeating at your Sunday event. That offer of desserts for helping to clean up would have been hard to for me to resist -- not only FREE, but a reward for good behavior! Good for you for turning it down.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #249  

Good morning all! Well, eating was "on plan" yesterday, and will be today as well. When I met up with my co-worker in the grocery store on Saturday she said again that a piece of blueberry pie might be in my future today, so I have planned that in, but it's 7:30 a.m. here and I haven't seen her yet, so I don't know.

Nothing much more to report, lol. Weight is holding at yesterday's low, breakfast from 4:30 is holding so I'm not hungry, lol, and it's a sunny day! A nice walk outdoors might be called for this afternoon.

BillBlueEyes 10 minute walks are excellent "spontaneous exercise"

Lexxiss Good for you for using your Beck techniques in a most appropriate manner!

Beverlyjoy It's so good to be back to a routine, isn't it?! I love that response card you mentioned. I don't think I think enough about what's going through my head sometimes!

gardenerjoy CONGRATULATIONS on reaching onederland! You have the right tools now, so I know you'll keep going!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #250  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Back from my trip. Successful in a business sense, but what a doozy emotionally. Totally off the rails, and I have no idea where I ended up. Lots (for me) of drinking. Today I pick myself back up and start again. I'll weigh in tomorrow.

I rode my bike this morning.

We're calling today Day 6. I'll get it together and re-engage tomorrow after I get through the piles of laundry, email, bills and on and on.

Anne
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #251  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy hello again

Monday.

credits
weighed in today at 271.4
visited my brother and dropped off a gift from a mutual friend in a timely fashion
relaxed while at my brother's place
made plans to make that a regular thing which makes me happy
no sugar so far today
decluttered 30 min.

I'm thinking about de-cluttering today. Haven't done any yet. I'm realizing I probably won't get to take my vacation again this year. I am really depressed about this. DH just won't take time off, partly cause I can't contribute any $ toward a trip so he's footing all the bills and this is also due to not making enough $ on my side, something else I'm depressed about. Additionally, he just started his job 5 months ago, and doesn't want to ask for anything, though we are going to a family reunion/internment for his uncle who recently died, the second weekend of August. I told him to arrange the time away as we may be leaving the country and he won't see these people for a long time if we leave. Where we are going is where I just went with my family so not a new place and not a vacation, though it is a car ride and it is time away, but we'll be under time pressure the whole trip.

I just need to keep cleaning the house. Head down, plough through. It seems to be the only thing that's ompletely in my hands to do. It'll take me all year anyway. Every room is a disaster. Today I am fantasizing about tossing everything into garbage bags and just sitting here with nothing around me so we could move already. DH isn't about to help me with any of the cleaning/decluttering until we come to his stuff, and his stuff is obscured by my stuff, so it looks like everything is my stuff. And he is working full-time and I am all over the map and it is just for me to do. I just hate feeling backed into a corner and that my friends is exactly how I feel.

I need an attitude adjustment.
Think I'll set my timer and go declutter.
I'll feel better after I do it and meet my goal for today.

byebye clutter! 60/180 minutes for June

Last edited by onebyone; 06-28-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #252  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
I keep talking about returning to my routine and this may finally be my opportunity.
Well, so much for that....I got a call from Mom at 1pm to tell me she'd fallen backwards off her retaining wall in her front yard and was at the ER. So 350 miles later, 6 cracked ribs and a fractured scapula later, I'm back home with Mom. *credit* food was fine, for winging it as I grabbed a few things and headed out. I have healthy food here and will need to cook for her, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I was glad I got a good bike ride in before she called.

onebyone, sorry to hear you feel depressed. *credit* for getting up and doing something anyway.

AnneWonders, lol at day 6. I was thinking something similar today...remembering "find time for dieting"

Donna (new2me2) I hope your blueberry pie showed up.

gardenerjoy, congrats! on waking up in onederland!

Beverlyjoy, good job using resistance techniques on dark chocolate.

Our agreement was that Mom would find a Dr over here asap. She's 89 and they're concerned about pneumonia. I might make it to water aerobics before the Dr offices even open.

Take care everyone!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:06 AM   #253  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I missed my third gym day last week since we left on Friday for a three day weekend away. So yesterday I hit the gym (CREDIT moi) after a 5 day break rather than a 3 day break. I thought that wouldn't be noticeable, but it was. I have to spend a visit or two getting back to where I was - Ouch for the reality of the body.

Realized yesterday that eating on my current plan deserves the credit that I give myself here. Yep, CREDIT moi for an eating day on-plan yesterday. The thoughts to minimize the importance of day-to-day moving along are just sabotaging thoughts with the potential to derail what I'm doing. So CREDIT moi and CREDIT moi and CREDIT moi again for the daily walk along the path even when there's no fireworks. (DW managed to return with the remainder of the pint of dark chocolate covered cranberries which are now sitting in sight in my kitchen. Not only are they cranberries, and "rich dark chocolate," they're leftovers in need of being taken care of. Ha! I just got up and moved them to a spot in the pantry where I don't frequent. That took less time than typing this sentence, LOL.)

Anne (AnneWonders) - Congrats for business success - Ouch for "a doozy." Kudos for getting right back on your bike and keeping the piles of chores in perspective.

onebyone - Yep, Kudos for actions "in a timely fashion" - methinks that's the sort of small step that fights clutter. Ouch for all the feelings about money and vacation - sending warm thoughts that you find your path through it. And additional Kudos for facing all those feelings by deciding to "set my timer and go declutter" - now that's moving forward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Big Honking Congrats for onederland!!!!!!!!!!! You worked for that. You earned it. It is yours. It is owned.

And Kudos for your clear determination not to let that hurdle derail you from your goal.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for spousal dark chocolate - we need to support each other until that stuff gets spousally consumed. Thanks for the fooling yourself sabotaging thought. Good to be reminded that we can tune in to the discussion going on about why it won't matter to eat something off plan.

By-the-by, I just got an automatic update from Firefox yesterday. My software is up-to-date also, but I have no inclination to go peak at the blogs and see what others are seeing.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for avoiding the "reward" of leftover desserts. Hope you enjoy your routine . . .

. . . which is immediately shattered - Big Ouch for your mother's fall. Sending supportive thoughts that those 89 year old bones can heal so she can get back on her feet. Sounds like she isn't incarcerated at the hospital - so that's a good start.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for on-plan and planning for on-plan again. (Wondering why I don't think that's a redundant statement, LOL.) Not clear from your sentence whether you would welcome the arrival of blueberry pie - I can tell you that I thought about that blueberry pie walking into my office most of the day, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 31
Decide About Drinking

If you want to fit drinking into your diet, you need to plan your alcohol intake in advance, just as you do your food intake. This means limiting your consumption and making sure that alcohol doesn't loosen your inhibitions about eating.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 220.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #254  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Quick check in with my Beckies before the work day begins. Already had one client call, so I guess it has begun already.

Great job, sister, Gardenerjoy on onederland. Awesome. It never ceases to amaze me when I pick up a 40# bag of softener salt how heavy it feels. Imagine that extra weight on your joints. Ouch.

Weighed 136.7 at the drs. office yesterday. Had to go in not for my ankle, which is really healing fast, but from dizziness I was afraid that was associated with the fall. Funny how that stoopid # has such as effect on me. Feels like success, down from 140, but my body feels every bit as fat. Stoopid.

Have added one rule to my 3 most important ones:

No alcohol
move more
eat less

to that I have added 1 Green Monster per day. After making that effort and having something so good for me, it is easier to stay focused. Am loving it, too. Have raspberries already. ..and yes, the dawgs know it, too. Caught them chowin' down last night. It would be cheappa if the wabbits hadn't eaten all my spinach! Makes me crazy having to *buy spinach this time of year.

Oh, well, the Basil is ready. Yay pesto!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #255  

Good morning everyone!

A beautiful morning here, hope it is where you are too. The blueberry pie DID show up, lol and it was MOST welcome! I figured it was 9 WW points, and fortunately I hadn't used any of the 35 extra weekly points they give you, so was able to enjoy it guilt free.

I MADE myself do my weight workout yesterday. I used to LOVE weight workouts more than cardio, but can't figure out what has happened because I sure don't seem to want to do them.

Spontaneous exercise yesterday was walking up and down the stairs while brushing my teeth. I don't necessarily recommend this if you are balance challenged as I am, but with great care and slow steps it worked out very well. I was able to make 4 round trips down and back up in the time it took to brush my teeth.

This morning I held my plank for 50 seconds.

AnneWonders Hope you are out from under the piles of laundry, etc., lol. The worst part of any trip IMHO.

onebyone I'm so sorry you might not get to take your vacation! Huge credit for continuing to declutter!!!

Lexxiss OMGosh! I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's fall. Scarey!!!

BillBlueEyes Stupid reality of the body, lol! I hate it! Great job on the massive credit list! Gosh I love chocolate covered cherries, and make it dark chocolate...oh gosh, lol. Oh yes, the pie was very welcomed by me, lol.

maryblu Congratulations on your weight loss!

Last edited by new2me2; 06-29-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Closed Thread