Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – November 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – October 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The warblers aren't here yet. Supposedly they're all perched in Delaware waiting for a favorable South-West wind to sail up here. But it matters because the trees are leafing and it's much easier to spot small warbles if they arrive before the leaves come out.

Did gym; CREDIT moi. Looked forward to my sardines for lunch - the 99 cent can. Well, there are 3 sardines in the can total, LOL. Big guys for sardines. Packed in water isn't as tasty as packed in oil - think I'll stick to the oil. I must have purchased these to save a few calories, but taste matters also. So, again, I'm full of Omega-3's; CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Yay for seeing the 20 pounds gone from the scale instead of the minor fluctuation. Kudos for remembering "persist in victory."

Beverlyjoy - Great use of your 90 minutes of waiting time to get your arms around the hard chapters in Beck. Usually when I'm in a doctor's waiting room I veg out on whatever awful magazines are sitting there. (Talk about a good source of cooties, LOL.) Kudos for taking care of your mother despite your own foot/ankle pain.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that you're aware of "comforting associations between dirt, tired, and splitting a sandwich in the sunroom with my husband" since that's a unique combo. Surprised that bamboo might worm its way into your garden; my DW serves me sauteed Garlic Mustard about once a year but it'll never grow in her yard, LOL. I do think a stand of bamboo makes one good looking natural barrier.

Shepherdess - Neat choice to use "tried and true" while you recover from your week of midwifery. Kudos for running when "wind had died down to a breezy 20 mph" which seems a bit breezy from here.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for soup as nature's way of cleaning out the fridge. Ouch for exhausted and still having the energy to work your resistance muscle on that cake. LOL at your dogs eating whatever is put before them - I'd bet they'd have a heyday with your 6 punnets of strawberries, LOL. If I remember correctly, maryblu has a dog that eats her raspberries right off the bushes.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - An OP pumpkin pie without the crust sounds really yummy. Kudos for avoiding "xrated" foods, LOL.

MerinoGirl - Now that's a long history of weighing yourself, LOL. Count me as one, also, who's developed the habit of seeing the trend in the scale readings without much concern for the jitter.

Readers -
Quote:
day 26
Common Thinking Errors

There are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting:

. . .
Thinking Mistake #2: Negative Fortune Telling
You predict the future negatively without considering other possible outcomes.
Examples:
  • Since I didn't lose weight this week, I'll never be able to lose weight.
  • Since I gave into that craving, I'll never be able to tolerate cravings.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 195.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks..coaches...buddies..

First of May! Yesterday was a healthy day - I am always grateful for that and the willingness to keep trying.

Our weekly peanut party with the neighborhood children had to changed to tortilla chips (out of peanuts!). I didn't eat any - even though I was holding the bowl...credit! After the snack they all wanted a story. Three year old Adam jumped on my foot in glee after the story - ouch on my already hurting foot/ankle. I came inside after that!

Yesterday was a real 'warm weather' food day. I made a cold Thai noodle salad for lunch and tuna salad for dinner. Sometimes it's good to switch it up. I kept a couple portions of ww spaghetti noodles out in measured portions to use later this week - credit for planning.

Our next door neighbor's had a baby boy. A new one to add to the fun. In a few years, Adam will have a boy to play with - rather than the seven little girls on our street. He's all boy, though - he sleeps with his play lawn mower. (cracks me up!)

wrote down my plan, wrote down everything I ate
stayed in my calorie range
tasted food - alot of the time
eated seated, no seconds - all of the time
slow mindful eating - some of the time
gave myself credit during the day
leave a bite - all of the time
read arc/rc
made some new rc
used resistance techniques
measured food

no exercise/spon. ex.

billbe - I hope the birdies arrive before the camoflauging leaves. We have 6 of our seven bird houses 'in business'. Two more families in the spruces. It's just starting to get 'noisey' - I think we have some hatchlsing in one of the houses all ready. I am trying to get excited for ya - sardines and all. Don't like em...you can have my share. Yes...the omegas are so good. Enjoy. BTW - thanks for hosting this wonderful forum. Sure do appreciate all your time and efforts.

Lexxiss - glad you can get back to your food 'comfort zone' now that company is gone. Sounds like you did well. An op pumpkin pie sounds good.

merina - oh my goodness - on the subject of how often to weigh - it's like politics.... people have their strong opinons!! I think folks have to figure out what works for themselves...whatever is helpful to their program and journey. There should be no judgement. It's like food plans...'one size doesn't fit all' - pardon the pun. Look at all the different approaches/forums there are here at 3fc..many ways to lose weight and live healthfully.
I agree....coaches are an important component of this program.

Have a good day. Remember to treat yourself as you would a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-01-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday Evening

Hi Coaches
A good food day - achieved my eating goals and organised a shopping list and shopped for it. I know for most people this is an everyday achievement but for me it is a challenge to plan and only buy what I have on my list - so credit me! I bought nothing extra - except for some dog food I had actually forgotten to put on the list so they were very happy

I haven't read the pink book for a while and I haven't looked at my A & R cards for a bit so tomorrow I need to give that some time. I am also going to do some slow cooker food for the freezer. I haven't been drinking enough again. I weighed myself, gave credit, stayed on plan, walked around the supermarket for exercise (more than enough!)

BeverlyJoy - Glad you had a healthy day yesterday (and day before) and hope that the medication is helping without side effects. Ouch for jumping for joy right on your foot, You have inspired me to get back into the pink book to stay focussed and on the program - a food plan is not enough

GardenerJoy - Yay for exercise for the first time in a while - that must feel good. Not sure what a Quizno is but probably best avoided methinks - but ritual is a big draw card

Onebyone - Congrats on keeping it down to 20 lbs - that is terrific

Shepherdess - credit for running in windy conditions - but you sound like an old hand at it. Yay for moving on from snacking. I am trying to do a little gentle exercise and hopefully it will increase with time. Not going to leap in and expect miracles

MerinoGirl - your merino sheep is very fetching. Very dear to Australian hearts as it seems we grew up with them even in the city - wchool did that I think. Well done for checking in and reading the postings - I always find it helps

Ruth (Lexxiss) - Glad you have your routine back and it sounds like you get credit for staying in charge of food while they were there. Credit for salad over basketball food - has to be a better choice. Sending supportive thoughts for staying focused and reaching goal

BillBlueEyes - hope those leaves delay a bit and don't hide those tiny birds. I never know what to do with canned sardines if I haven't got toast to put them on - what do you do with them?

That's it folks

Cheryl
Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning

I was reading from the green book this AM, and thought I'd share.

From the green book;

Weekend Response Card
Because I want to keep off excess weight, my weekend eating has to be the same as my weekday eating. My body doesn't know or care that it's the weekend, and if I eat too many calories, I'll gain weight. It's worth it to me to control my eating-even on weekends.

Also from the green book,

" There are about 104 weekend days a year, not to mention the numerous holidays, anniversaries, birthdays, showers, weddings, parties, restaurant meals, fairs, conferences, meetings, special occasions, and vacation days."

This put it into perspective for me. Having this knowledge is a good reason to continue to find ways to eat OP during these times. I suppose if all these days were tallied, they would approach something close to 1/2 a year.

I'm headed to our library book sale this AM. I'm hoping to find a pink Beck book and maybe some good nutrition books.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default May Day

Happy May Day, all!

It's Kentucky Derby day as well. I always enjoy the lead up stories and the excitement.

BillBE, your memory is correct, at least half-way. In fact, *both my two dawgs eat my raspberries right off the bushes. They wade right in, never mind the thorns. @##%$@^ I don't have egg-suckin' dawgs, I have raspberry stealin' dawgs.

I agree with you on sardines in water v. oil; taste *does matter.

Our incredible string of warm weather has cooled to a more seasonal norm. This is the earliest ever that the trees are so leafed out. All my plum trees are blooming; it is wonderful, but I keep pinching myself. It could easily be May 25 or later for this to be occurring normally. A seasonally normal frost would now be a *late frost, and could wipe out my apple harvest...*waiting, holding my breath. We got the rain we so desperately needed yesterday. Waiting for it to dry up enough to do some serious planting.

One day at a time staying on track with my journey back to where I want to be. It is easier now than it used to be, and it's more than just that I know how to do it and have confidence in the Beck method. It's more than that.

What makes it easier for me now is that the *pay-off is so*much* bigger relative to the time/effort it takes. It is the difference between feeling *fat and being exactly where I want to be, exactly where I look and feel best. It is a big, big pay-off and worth the effort. That said, I remember when I was losing ...I remember at 190 down from 200, feeling thin. It's all relative, and it's all a big pay off and so very worth the effort. At this point, I don't even need to read advantage cards..I just have to *hold that feeling of *being exactly where I want to be, having my cloths fit perfectly..I just need to *hold that.

Now do as I say, not as I do, Beckies! READ those advantage cards..*laffin'. Will keep posting ..I gotta gitterdun.

I can't help but wonder if I will *ever get to the point that I remain vigilant and live Beck everyday so that I don't have to do this yo-yo thang. *sigh.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Happy May Day! I've lost 8.5 pounds since the first day of spring! Seven of them in the month of April! My new plan fell into place better yesterday and I'm feeling more confident. Like Beverlyjoy, I am grateful.

WI: -0.1kg (new low), Exercise: +30 1240/1800 minutes for April, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: so glad that you are feeling better and persisting in victory!

Shepherdess: good job getting a run in when the conditions weren't ideal and on finding a way to stick with the program using tried and true meals.

Beverlyjoy: oh, you and Lexxiss are inspiring me to get back to the book! I got to the "start your diet" day and have lost all my consistency since then. It sounds like there's good stuff later on that I want to get to!

MerinoGirl: yay for checking in! And for knowing your own history with the scale -- you'll make that work for you!

Lexxiss: yay for getting right on track with your company gone!

BillBlueEyes: good job for getting to the gym and for working out the best sardines for you -- a little oil that brings a lot of Omega-3s and good flavor sounds like a good trade-off.

Beverlyjoy: yay for all your credits and no tortilla chips!

seadwaters: yay for good shopping and for the only impulse buy to be dog food that you needed!

maryblu: good job on a thoughtful post as part of your efforts to get back where you want to be!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Well, yesterday was hit and miss as far as food was concerned. That seems to be the trend right now. I did avoid mindless snacking in the afternoon, but I was baking brownies for the branding today and did not avoid mindless nibbling of brownie bits. I’m trying to stay on track right now, but am not beating myself up too much for the mistakes I’m making. Brandings are always a tough time. It’s tradition to make a big party out of it. We have a coffee break half way through, which is coffee and soda, and several desserts. Then afterwards, we have a big potluck lunch and more desserts. I’m skipping the one today, because I have too much to do. But I have to admit that I’m relieved to not face that food situation two days in a row. I’m just doing my best right now and plan to re-impose some serious discipline when this is all over.

Exercise didn’t happen yesterday. I am desperately trying to get my house clean so on Sunday I can have a crew of 30 cowboys track whatever they pick up on their boots across my floors. But it was snowing all AM anyways, which turned into freezing rain by later afternoon. That didn’t stop my genius Spaniel from swimming in the pond while I was feeding the sheep. I guess that little spot of pond where the outflow water keeps ice from forming was just a little too tempting. Then she sat on the kitchen floor giving me sad brown eyes while her teeth were chattering.

MerinoGirl, I weigh in daily as well. Beck recommends it in the green book (Complete Beck Diet for Life). There are different schools of thought on this and we all just need to do what works for us. I think the important thing is getting to the point where that number is just information and not a judgment on what kind of person we are.

Lexxiss, I agree with your sentiment “I loved the visiting, but will very much enjoy the return to my routine.” Great job using that resistance muscle and having pumpkin pie without the crust. It’s a healthy treat. I’m crossing my fingers that this is the last snow of the year too!

BillBE, yay for being full of omega 3s! It’s always a fine line between saving a few calories and turning a favorite food into a “why bother?” Good job trying to balance it all.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for another healthy day, even with the switch to tortilla chips. Ouch for a three-year-old jumping on your already-tender foot. All of your warm weather food sounds wonderful. It’s making me long for summer!

Seadwaters, great job getting organized and doing all your shopping. I love my slow cooker. It is so great when busy. I turn it on in the AM, have a hot healthy dinner waiting for me in the evening and there’s always plenty of leftovers.

Maryblu, I’m laughing at your raspberry stealing dog! I love those unseasonable warm snaps, but they do come with a price, when the other shoe drops on the weather. We have the same problem here. Crossing my fingers that you stay frost free and have a wonderful fruit harvest. Glad you’re back on track and finding it easier. I remember reading in Beck that the wagon doesn’t leave when you fall off; it stops until you get back on (I’m paraphrasing). I find that comforting.

Gardenerjoy, congrats on 8.5 lbs down this spring and a 7lb loss for April. You broke through that plateau with a vengeance! Here’s to a successful new month.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I was on business travel for about a week. I must say I did outstanding on food. Stopped at full every time, and made reasonable if not puritanical choices. Got in two workouts, but was shooting for three. But more drinking than normal.

A good trip. Getting back into normal today with major kid tantrums, and starting off with a run tomorrow.

Anne
Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #10  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post saturday night

Hi Coaches

In my avoidance of all aspects of making things (ie.procrastination) I got a lot of other needed things done today. The annual art in the park event that my friend and I run is now well underway. We juried the applicants, I sent welcome accpetance letters to applicants, I contacted two people to do with the show that I needed to do for a while now. I did bank deposits, made dinner from scratch (credit) and then let Kitty X out and saw she wanted to escape to the neighbour's yard. I blocked the area under the fence she was using ad that made her perturbed. I figured since I hadn't cleaned my backyard, esp. the patio stone area that that was what made next door so appealing, so I cleaned the backyard. Credit spontaneous exercise. I alos cleaned off the coffee table and found my Volumetrics book. I'm taking that to bed for some reading. I recall considering that as a foodplan and I am going to take another look at it. In the end I did get some work done towards my art shows a week from today. I have been experimenting with new surface treatments of my plastic material and it's very intriguing what I am coming up with. But gee, am I working slow. I think the way I work has changed. I was a real binge worker, doing very little then working like a maniac until exhausted. Seems I am not too interested in that anymore. I think I need to adjust myself to my new desires. The binge working just isn't gonna cut for me anymore. Hopefully this is connected to the food and eating issues I have had as well. I think it is true though. even when I am off plan it is rare for me to really binge eat. I may choose food that is less than great or off plan but I don't really pig out all that often. Credit for this.

Have to get to bed.

It's May already. Can you believe it? Wow.

Have a good restful evening coaches.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone!!!

Beverlyjoy- thanks for the reminder that it is not the time line, it is the living healthy with food. My frustratingly slow weight loss was bugging me today. Good for you for devoting 90 minutes to work on Beck stuff. I really need to do that too. I need to put some time into rereading the books and doing some quiet thinking.

Shepherdess-good for you for trying to distract yourself from pre- dinner nibbling. Hope the branding went well for you. Seems like a huge job. I am amazed you have been able to continue to think about your eating and continue to exercise and post here.

gardenerjoy-interested to see your new food plan if you want to share it. I also have tiny pink one pound dumbbells. I started doing my weight workouts with these. Thought it was best as I have had tendinitis in both arms before and have very sore shoulders a lot of the time. I am now using the purple 3 pounders and one day plan to be up to the blue 5 pounders. Glad you were able to get back to your strength training. Yay for 7 pounds gone in April!

MerinoGirl-I weigh every day and the scale fluctuates all over the place. I can be up 3 pounds or down 3 pounds for nothing. It could be fluctuation or it could be the scale is wonky. I am only concerning myself with the trend.

BillBlueEyes-big credit for the use of resistance muscle. And especially for eating the insides and not the crust.

seadwaters-waving hello! Yay for resisting cake when you were out for coffee. And for making a list and sticking with it.

onebyone-like the sound of moving forward.

Lexxiss-boo for snowstorms at the end of April. Yay for eating well when you had company.

maryblu-we are getting cooler weather and like you, it is the earliest we have ever had leaves out on the trees. It finally rained here also so am much less worried about fires. Glad you are feeling that you are back on track.

wndranne-congratulations of doing outstandingly well on food on your week travelling. Really hard to do. Good for you.

For me, glad it is a brand new month. Overall last month I gained 3 pounds (or stayed the same, depending if it is scale fluctuation). Kind of a downer. I know why-- it is because I ate on plan only about half the days. On the other days, I was not being careful. I have not been binging so that is good. Mostly I am eating very healthy. Exercise is very regular. So all in all, I am going to tell myself it is all OK. I am learning things. I have not quit. I post here pretty faithfully. I continue to weigh myself daily. I continue to read the cards pretty much daily. I mostly try to use my Beck skills.

Credit today for:

weighing in
eating on plan
resisting food at many points during the day
reading advantage and response cards
checking in with my coaches

Take care
Old 05-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The Warblers are here!

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A glorious day! Started early chasing the newly arrived Warblers. Saw a good bunch, including a Black-throated Blue Warbler. It doesn't take much to make a birder happy, LOL. Birding is a terrific way to be outdoors enjoying the sunshine and environment while getting, unfortunately, almost no exercise. The best views come from standing quietly. But, after lunch I took a walk to Trader Joe's, CREDIT moi, to get some California Golden Raisins. When I need a walk, I can always conjure up some need to justify a walk to Trader Joe's.

And finished some household chores, including changing a passage way door knob set that had broken; CREDIT moi. Now that's not a big job, but it's easy to put off. It also reminds me that I can't replace just the small broken piece - it only comes in the full dual door-knobs set - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

maryblu - LOL at your two "raspberry stealin' dawgs" - perhaps someday you'll make a youtube video of those rascals. My own guess is that "this yo-yo thang" always remains, the cycle just gets shorter, until we yo-yo within a few days and just look like we're constant. But,that's just my guess - check with me in about 20 years and I'll let you know.

onebyone - Yay for procrastination driven productivity - whatever works. Interesting observation about binge working - it'd be great to think that getting to eating on a regular even level would leak into all other aspects of our lives. Good luck re-delving into Volumetrics; I do like the notions in that book and think it's part of what drove me toward the monster raw salad that I do with my lunches at work.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for 'outstanding on food" for a whole week of business travel - I'm really impressed since I can quickly make up several reasons that I deserve food because of the deprivations of travel. Ouch for kids who need a little acting out to punish mom for abandoning them - in that regard, they're just like cats, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - hmmmmm... seems like your 3 year old friend Adam was "stotting" in the terminology of Shepherdess, LOL. Congrats for one more "healthy day." Yay for having so much business in your seven bird houses. And thanks for the acknowledgment.

CeeJay - Such clear perspective on your previous month without using the various "Thinking Errors" of the all-or-nothing type that Beck discusses in day 26. So useful to give yourself credit for leveling out your eating even if it's not yet at the 100% that you'd like. Kudos for clarity.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the Spring loss down to your new low. And Yay for confidence and gratitude.

Shepherdess - Have a joyful Sunday with 30 cowboy guests with their boots on your floors. Good luck avoiding the platters of desserts and goodies while watching hungry men devour them all. By the by, does Wyoming have cowgirls?

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yep, Kudos for pulling off your organized assault on the supermarket. Even Generals have to learn to plan an attack, LOL. Re sardines: I eat them on Romaine Lettuce leaves, sparing myself the need to pack crackers - the carrier of choice. As kids, we'd mix them up with mayonnaise, mustard, and relish - just like canned tuna - and spread that on bread. I recall using about as much mayonnaise as sardines ... <shudder>.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for the noble task of supporting your library book sale (while serving your own insatiable desire for more books, I'd guess, LOL). Neat calculation that you easily reach half the days of the year with a reason to eat off-plan.

Readers -
Quote:
day 26
Common Thinking Errors

There are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting:

. . .
Thinking Mistake #3: Overly Positive Fortune Telling
You predict the future too positively, without considering other possible problems.
Examples:
  • I'll be able to eat just a little bit of this food I crave, feel satisfied, and stop.
  • It's okay if I just estimate the amount of food I'm supposed to have instead of measuring it. I'll still lose weight.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 195.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi becksters....buddies....coaches.....

Yesterday was a healthy day - I am always grateful for that and the willingness to keep trying. I think, for me, willingness is key.

Every day for the last 12 years I've gotten up and written down five things for which I am grateful. Yesterday, I was kind of having a 'pity party'. I was feeling frustrated with my pieces and parts, limited mobilty, medication, blah blah blah. I didn't think I could think of any gratitudes. But, of course, I could. So once again I am reminded that, no matter what, there are always things for which I be grateful. It's a good daily task. It always puts things in perspective. I recommend it.

While in the kitchen - I just opened the fridge - thinking 'what can I eat' - Then I realized - I don't 'graze' any more. (or am working on that) I used a resistance technique, closed the fridge door, walked away, smiled and gave myself credit.

Today DH and I are going to the grocery...I will use the electric scooter. It's kind of humbling. But - of course, better than not getting out doing what needs to be done. Mom is coming over for a cookout tonight.

yesteray:
made a plan, wrote down what I eat, kept track of calories, stayed in healthy range, measured food
eated seated, no seconds - all of the time
fork down - some times (I really need to work on this)
read rc/arc
looked at beck book
used resistance techniques
gave myself credit
tasted food - some of the time
slow mindful eating - some of the time

no exercise/spontaneous exercise

billbe = so glad you saw the birdies! A good walk to Trader Joe's, too. I wish ours wasn't quite so far away. Love that store. Credit - working on those 'chores'.

cee-jay - no binging is a huge credit. Seems like you've taken many of the beck tasks to heart. Keep 'practicing' all the stuff you know works and aim to do what you add to it. That's all any of us can do.

onebyone - 'not pigging out' is a HUGE credit!

wndranne - so, so glad to hear your trip went well. You said - I must say I did outstanding on food. Stopped at full every time, and made reasonable if not puritanical choices. Got in two workouts, but was shooting for three Major credit!

shepardess - glad you were able to avoid one of your eating gatherings. I can see how branding would be a major happening. I don't suppose the cowboys would want coffee and veggies and healthy dip half way through. LOL Hope all goes well today.

maryblu - we watched the Derby too - always fun. So much hype!!!! You said - What makes it easier for me now is that the *pay-off is so*much* bigger relative to the time/effort it takes. It is the difference between feeling *fat and being exactly where I want to be, exactly where I look and feel best. It is a big, big pay-off and worth the effort. That says SO much - it's a real way of living with food and realizing why.

gardenerjoy - I am jumping for joy over learning of your wonderful weightloss!! I am so glad your efforts are being rewarded at the scale as well as in your day to day living.

lexxiss - thanks so much for sharing your weekend response card - it's so basic, but - such a necessary concept to tatoo to our brains. I don't have the green book...just the pink book.

I hope I got to everyone. Shout out to anyone stopping by.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-02-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick check-in before my busy day begins. Had a pretty good food-day yesterday. There was a decadent dessert that probably didn’t need to happen, but it was only one. It would have been more than that in the past, so I still consider it a success. I didn’t do any formal exercise, but it was an active day So I feel good about that. I’m looking at a tough day today and I have a general plan in place. There will likely be a number of challenges that come up that I never even thought of, so wish me luck. I am looking forward to this afternoon when everyone leaves and I will hopefully get a nap.

Thanks for all your supportive thoughts. I will catch up later.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #15  

Height: 5'6"

Hi. Just back from vacation. I spent 6 days hiking and cycling (and eating) and the scale shows that I am the highest that I have been in a year or two. You would think that I would be dehydrated(?).

Anyways. I am here. I have to catch up on stuff (including Beck, and this message board). I will do so in a few days.

Weight 160.8
Closed Thread