3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2010 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #106

S/C/G: 271/225/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - Sunday was a healthy day - I am always grateful for that.

My mom ended up not feeling well enough to have our Mother's Day supper. So we will celebrate when she's better. It made me feel sad to not be with any family on Mother's Day - but, then I snapped out of it and felt grateful that I could talk to everyone on the cell phone. This morning my DS posted this on his facebook page: Realizing, and believing that happiness is a conscious decision may be the most liberating discovery of my life. It is so true and a wise lesson from my son.

Today DH is coming home after being gone a week. YAY.

Gardenerjoy suggested I do some 'chair dancing' or above the waste exercises while watching my new love on tv - music videos. (as a sit and rest my ankle/foot) I've doing upper body weights - but, this is a good idea. I did it yesterday afternoon and I had a small cardio moment. CREDIT Thanks to gardenerjoy.

Also - thanks to everyone for your get better wishes and thoughts to my foot/ankle. I surely appreciate it.

yesterday:
planned, logged and measured food - all the time
lots of water
exercises
slow mindful eating - most of the time (better than it has been lately!)
feel fullness - sometimes
leave a bite - all the time
read arc/rc - yes
stayed in calorie range
gave myself credit a few times

did not do spontaneous exercise
did not read beck book

lexxiss - sounds like you are moving forward in Beck tasks and awareness. Credit. Yes, it will be nice to be back home in your food comfort zone.

billbe - sounds like a wonderful mother's day! Major credit for skipping your evening snack because you had some dessert. Glad you got to see the redstart!

seadwaters - Hugs to you - it's hard to have Mother's Day without your mom. Major credit for checking here twice and having a 'good kind of tired.'

nuxmaga - credit for no seconds and keeping track of your food even when it's more than you ususally eat - that makes it very real.

kim - glad you checked in....I hope you are feeling better soon.

new2me2 - I am sorry to hear of your many health challenges - that's alot to deal with. Credits for making a list and checking off when you do your tasks. I always find the list very helpful. Planning and cooking ahead is so helpful...good credit.

nathy - it's wonderful that you could share your post here to your DH. And that it helped explain to your husband how being given chocolate is a struggle for you instead of a joy. My DH is similar to yours....he forgets to eat. I can't even imagine.

shepardess - good for you - letting DH know that you need a break. It's not always an easy task to get one's own needs in the forfront and out in the open. I hope you get your break soon. I am glad you could pull is together in the evening...despite the grazing during day. It's like Dr. Beck says - draw that line in the sand.

gardenerjoy - glad you and DH could finally figure what your mil wanted to do on MOther's Day. I hope your bread and slab of meat were tasty and could be figured into a healthy day. Thanks for your idea of chair dancing when I listen to the music.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 224

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy : 05-10-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #107

S/C/G: 299/286/170

Good morning:

(A little rant- here it goes):

Today just really needs to be better. Regrouped Saturday, dive bomb on Sunday. Trying to figure out why the rebellion is rising up inside. "I don't care" is just way too prominent. I have 4 days work this week and then am off for Friday and all of next week. Really want to go into this time off strong and already in a healthy mode instead of having to use the time to get back on track. I want to be on track already. I am so sick of doing well for a few days, then not so well. The giant human yo-yo. Means no weight gone.

Trying to think about what Dr. B. says about doing what I need to do, not what I feel like doing....

I wish you all a great Monday and thanks for listening. Will check in tonight and report good news, I hope.

Regroup: May 3, 2014

Goal #1 Lose 5 pounds (292) done May 10, 2014
Goal #2 Lose 5 more pounds (287) done June 4, 2014
Goal #3 Lose 5 more pounds (282)

One for every 5 pounds:
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #108

Height: 5'7"

CeeJay I find that when the Beck techniques aren't working well, one reason is that my plan is just not OK with my body. Too many calories restricted, not enough fun food planned in, or inflexible timing. The hunger experiment shows that you can on occasion do these things, but I'm willing to bet after 20 days in a row, it wouldn't work anymore. Eating is such a primal drive and if we get too out of touch with our biology, bad things happen.

Anyway, good run and bike yesterday. I can really tell about the long layoff due to travel and sickness. Spent some time visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday; it was good to see her.

Now, MUST HAVE COFFEE.

Anne
-from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #109

Height: 5'7"

PS, maryblu, the next Michael Scott book _The Necromancer_ is out May 25. Gotta reread the series to get ready!
-from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #110

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Had a great day yesterday—all crankiness out of my system. I did switch my afternoon snack to chips, which would probably have set me up for an afternoon of snacking, but I was heading out for my long run. I guess we’ll call it carbo-loading and it did seem to work. I was hitting my paces pretty comfortably. It may also have had something to do with the beautiful weather we were having. It felt really good to do a long run. They’re always intimidating, especially when I haven’t done one for nearly a month. But once I’ve finished one it feels like such an accomplishment.

Nathy, you’re bike trip sounds like a wonderful and healthy way to get some family time. It’s great that your DH is so supportive and that you have such a close relationship that you can share all of this with him.

Bennyhannamamma, sending you a big hug and hope you are feeling better. I had the same feeling the other day and it’s not fun. Hope you sort through it all.

New2me2, ouch for all of your physical ailments. It sounds like you have been through a lot! Kudos for being so committed to exercise with everything you have been dealing with. I understand the scheduling thing. I try to schedule my days, but promptly go off schedule—stuff always comes up.

Seadwaters, sending a hug for a sad mother’s day. Kudos for working hard in the water. You have such a positive attitude! I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Green book vs the Pink book. I’ve been curious to look at the pink book to see if anything sticks that I didn’t notice in the Green book.

Nuxmaga, kudos for skipping seconds. Ouch for the big calorie day, but great job looking it straight in the eye and tracking those calories. Honesty is so important, good or bad!

BillBE, yay for an American Redstart as a reward for getting out in lousy weather. Kudos for a healthy, yet festive mother’s day meal and forgoing a snack to have a small indulgence.

RE range lambers: All of our first-time mothers lamb in the shed and we pick out some veteran lambers to teach the new girls the routine (and they get to enjoy what we call the sheep Bed and Breakfast). Our range lambers are veteran mothers so they know what to do. We would get a better lambing percentage if we shed-lambed all of our ewes and that is one our long-term goals, but right now barn space and labor are our limiting factors. Before DH and I came back to the ranch 4 yrs ago, hadn’t shed lambed in years because they didn’t have anyone with the time or energy to do it. So we are slowly working our way up.

Lexxiss, great job recognizing those habits, both good and bad. That is so important to making changes. Are you putting in tomato plants already? Do you have to cover them at night or is it getting warm enough down there to start them?

Beverlyjoy, kudos for raising such a thoughtful son! And what a tribute on Mother’s day. Sorry you couldn’t spend the day with your own mother, but great job staying positive in the face of disappointment. Yay for your DH coming home!

CeeJay, sending supportive thoughts as you are dealing with a tough time. I feel like I’ve been on the yo-yo recently. I think it may have to do with energy levels. I have high energy levels and go all out for “perfect” days then run out of energy and can’t keep it up. I also liked Nuxmaga’s idea of journaling sabotaging thoughts. I’m working at those right now. Best of luck!

Wndranne, yay for a run and a bike in the same day! I think your observations are spot on. The hunger experiment is great to show us that when we are an hour away from dinner, we can tolerate the hunger, but the long-term effects of hunger can be a serious problem. Thanks for your great observations!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #111
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/maintaining below 170

Height: 5'9"

Eating went well yesterday. I couldn't get myself to exercise, so I researched Wii Fit instead! I think I'm going to set that up in my office for a birthday present using money from MIL and expertise from DH. I believe I will play that instead of computer games on low energy days like yesterday. I looked into this at Christmas and thought it was maybe too easy, but the new Wii Fit Plus has more challenges, plus I realized that I mostly need this for those 0 minute days, not the days that I'm willing to walk an hour and do some of my exercise DVDs.

WI: -0.1kg (new low), Exercise: +0 375/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

seadwaters: So glad you got to exercise in the water. I like that, especially for recovery exercising. But I do understand how frustrating it is -- much less convenient than taking a walk or doing a video at home. Great job getting yourself to do it!

BillBlueEyes: your Mother's Day event sounds wonderful -- complete with surprise mango!

Lexxiss: yay for achieving awareness. I think that's really key.

Nuxmaga: glad you were able to exercise restraint at a buffet, that's a difficult skill.

new2me2: I imagine you can make lists work as well as schedules. Cooking on Sunday for the week definitely deserves credit, even if it's a habit (or maybe extra credit because it's a habit!) Thanks for sharing your history. Are you able to do any strength training? I've noticed that making a big difference for me. I have chronic shoulder/neck problems, but mine are in the soft tissue. I was able to do 10 minutes a day with 1-pound weights for the arms day using the video 10-Minute Target Toning for Beginners. After several months, I'm now moving into more Bootcamp style videos and occasionally even using 2-pound weights.

bennyhannahmama: hope you're feeling better today.

nathy: glad you were able to resolve the chocolate dilemma in such a loving and productive way!

Shepherdess: good job finding a way to deal with floating negativity.

Beverlyjoy: so glad the chair dancing produced a good moment for you! And big CREDIT for finding happiness on a Mother's Day that didn't go anywhere near to plan. You are a resilient woman!

CeeJay: reading my advantages cards helps me remember that I do care. If that's not working, it's time for me to add some new ones! And I like what wndranne said as well. Hugs! Hope you are doing better today.

wndranne: yay for good exercise!

Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #112

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday Morning

Hi Coaches

Taking the opportunity to read and post some personals

Anne (Wndranne) - Yay for good exercise. And sage advice. Now I have to go and see who Michael Scott is - sounds like the sort of series I would enjoy!

BeverlyJoy - Glad your Mother's day was healthy and full of credits even though sad for you. Credit for bringing up such a wise son and keeping him in your life. His sentiments are very in tune with the message from the Happiness and its Causes conference. Enjoy having your husband back home

BillBlueEyes - Mother's day AND an American Redstart - wow. Very cute indeed - had to go and have a look at one in google.Credit for a well planned and retrained meal

CeeJay - I wish you success for today - an on-track day that satisfies your needs. I think Anne's comment is useful - that the food we eat needs to please us as well and that needs to be built into your plan. Hope you had a good day - but you are committed to this and it will click for you

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Congratulations on 6 weeks of Beck and coaching. Sounds like a good start to today. Good luck for your travel day - hope things go smoothly. Thank you for noticing the weight

Gardenerjoy - I am very taken with the idea of a Wii Fit but will wait to see how active I get. They look good for yoga etc too. Congrats on a new low and for eating well.

Nuxmaga - Credit for no seconds and still tracking when it was over your plan - I find that one difficult

Shepherdess - Yay for crankiness gone by having a great day and then kicking its butt with a good run. I hate feeling scritchiness descend and know I need to work hard to send it on its way. Your runs sound exhausting - carb loading or not. Thanks for the explanation of who gets to lamb in the b&b and who gets to do it on the range. I like the idea of wise old rams in the role of doula LOL

Hi to my coaches ChinaMaine, FutureFitChick, Hikergirl, Kim (BennyHannahMama), Maryblu, MerinoGirl, Midlifecrisis57, Nathy, new2me2, OnebyOne, SilverBirch and everyone else I haven't mentioned. Have a good day!

Short Term Goal

Last edited by GosfordGirl : 05-10-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #113

S/C/G: Maintaining at 135-136

Height: 5'3.45"

Good evening everyone! Today's chapter was "Set a Realistic Goal". So very important, lol. I ALWAYS focus on the end goal instead of the small ones. So, I'm setting my first goal for 5 pounds. I was 162.8 this morning. I like the idea in the pink book that one of her patient's had of buying a small charm for a bracelet for every 5 pounds. I think I might do that. That way when I wear it, it will be a nice reminder of what I've achieved.

My Credits today:
1. Setting my first goal, lol
2. Reading Advantage cards twice (and also all the post-its I have all over the house with one advantage on each)
3. Resisting the urge to eat because the plumber was coming--I was afraid I'd get hungry while he was here and then wouldn't be able to eat, lol. I resisted. BIG CREDIT, lol.
4. Spontaneous exercise: pacing...and more pacing, waiting for the plumber to get here, lol. In the afternoon, parking farther away from the dentist (okay only half a credit here because I WOULD have parked closer if a spot was available)
5. Spending less time on Facebook
6. Spending an hour on a Wii game called Walk it Out before my appointment then coming home and doing 15 minutes of a kickbox workout.

Nuxmaga: Huge credit for not having seconds!!! And, more credit for tracking it! That's something I need to work on...tracking EVERYTHING, even if it's off plan.

seadwaters (Cheryl): I ALWAYS "save" the ironing for later, lol. Yeah, computer games and Facebook are big time wasters for me.

BillBlueEyes: Good for you getting out on a not so nice weather day! And, very impressive that you skipped your evening snack! I don't think I'm there yet, lol. (yeah, I don't always follow my list either, but I usually give it a good go.)

Lexxiss: Big credit for recognizing habits, good or bad!

Beverlyjoy: I LOVE your son's post! There is a PBS fitness show called Sit and Be Fit too...all done sitting in a chair I believe. They have DVDs too I think.

CeeJay: Trying to think about what Dr. B. says about doing what I need to do, not what I feel like doing.... Yeah, that's a big problem for me as well!

Shepherdess: Great job on the run!

gardenerjoy: I have Wii, and I use it for a lot of my activity. I have one "game" that I've been using for the last month and a half to get me up and moving everyday. I haven't used Wii Fit for a while, hum, maybe it's time I did. I also just bought Wii Fit Plus, but haven't looked at it yet.

As for the weights, I do do some weights. I saw a physical therapist for 3 years and they gave me some band and weighted exercises to do. Unfortunately they stopped helping, but I continue to do the exercises anyway. I am going to look for the 10 minute Target Toning for Beginners. The muscles on both sides of my neck are always sore and tight, stretching helps that a little. My doc said I have bone spurs, which is probably why everything is so sore.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #114
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Monday May 10th

Coaches/Buddies:
Still struggling a lot emotionally, but hanging on with food and exercise.

"Be not afraid of going slowly; be only afraid of standing still." ~Chinese Proverb
Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #115

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Yay for leftovers!!! We didn't finish the mound of food from Whole Foods for Mother's Day dinner, so I make my lunch from some and then DW used them for dinner for us both last night; CREDIT moi twice again for eating good salmon and veggies. There's enough for lunch today also. I'm finally getting myself to the notion that a small portion of protein suffices; my old idea was that a meal was a HUGE chuck of meat and some minor side dishes.

Today is the day I uptick the counters in my signature for staying the course another month; CREDIT moi. During maintenance, the adrenalin from watching the scale recede isn't there, so I get my jollies by watching my tickers tick.

Anne (wndranne) - It amazes me how quickly the body can forget previous exercise with a layoff. There must be some ratio like we are set back 3 weeks of exercise for each week of layoff. After one week it probably goes exponential, LOL.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Ouch for struggling; Kudos for hanging on and posting.

Shepherdess - Yay for the long run - particularly since the roads must still be a bit slushy from your recent snow. Thanks for the range lambing explanation; it's neat that the experienced moms show the new girls how to do it. How are all the new lambs doing? After being booted out of the "sheep Bed and Breakfast" do they just grow up on their own?

Beverlyjoy - Yay for "small cardio moment" - neat phrase. And Kudos for raising a DS with perspective.

CeeJay - Yep, the old "I don't care" raises up when we do, in fact, care a great deal. Beck does have a section about responding to that particular Sabotaging Thought. When I've experienced it, it masks out absolutely ALL reasonable thinking - usually about stuff that matters a great deal to me. Good luck pursuing that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I love it; researching Wii fit instead of exercising - now that's something I would do. I do recall curled up on my couch reading a book about walking, LOL.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Waving back; hope all is going well.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Neat that you're becoming more "AWARE" of your daily habits. Yep, that's a big step.

new2me2 - Good idea to set small goals with immediate rewards. LOL at the Sabotaging Thought that you'd better eat because you might get hungry while the plumber was there; that's a classic. I'll give you a full Kudos for parking far away from your dentist even though there wasn't a closer spot; your body didn't know that, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 27
Master the Seven Questions Technique

How to Make Your Cards

As you look through your notebook and examine your common sabotaging thoughts, reflect on each one by asking yourself, What do I wish I could remember the next time I have this thought? Write down your response using the technique below. Not all questions will apply to every sabotaging thought, but write down responses to the ones that do.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 199.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 6 years and 10 months
Old 05-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #116

S/C/G: 271/225/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - Yesterday was a healthy day - I am always grateful for one of those!

Glad DH is home. We've talked about my foot/ankle surgery stuff and I will get more details from the doctors. I also have to address some things that showed up as a result of my yearly physical. I must have a colonoscopy - some questionable symptons. My mom, grandma and grandpa (her parents) all had colon cancer - so, I must be dilgent about this. However - my bloodwork was good! Everything was normal except my triglycerides but, they are down. Still working on them.

I am thinking about a summer surgery instead of fall. I can't spend the rest of my life sitting in a chair - even if it means no foot/ankle pain when I do so. This means not working this summer. I was hoping to be able to get in summer work - doesn't look like this can happen. I am self employed - no work means no pay. This is a hard thing to see - but - ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Thankfully, I have many storyteller friends that can cover for me and I know they will do a good job.

yesterday:
planned, logged, measured food - ate one unplanned caramel
ate slowly - alot of the time
tasted food - alot of the time
no seconds - all the time
eat seated - all but one taste cooking
did strengthening exercises

no beck book
arc/rc - no

AACK -My personals all disappeared - I copied and saved them along the way - but somehow I still lost them - I thank you all for your thoughts, support and comments. I just hate when this happens.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 224

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy : 05-11-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #117

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday's progress

Hi Coaches

Check-list time
Credits
- Read A&R cards - Once
- Planned my day - Yes - a morning list, middle day list, and evening list
- Made food plan - Yes
- Food on-plan - Yes - except a sneaky piece of chocolate
- Posted to the list -Yes - twice as planned
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - think so
- Put down fork occasionally - never!
- Weighed myself - yes 200.00!
- Drank water - not enough
- Exercise - not today - work
- Resistance techniques - On the way home (late) - went for petrol (a danger time) and REALLY wanted a bag of chips. Telling myself I was starving (hunger is not an emergency I said). I tried distraction and diversion. Didn't try drinking water. I don't know why I will spend any amount of money on rubbish but refuse to buy water which in Australia we tend to think should be free. Desire resisted fortunately
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes
Working on
Still on Habits

Short Term Goal

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #118

S/C/G: 299/286/170

Hi everyone- just a quick check in before work. Thanks for all your helpful comments and support.

I did have an onplan eating day yesterday. Yay. I think I am just tired out, not sleeping enough. lots of stress at work, working late pretty much every night and breaking the cardinal rule of no work on weekends, and lots of stress provided by the sister from ****. Well that sounded pretty dramatic, but I think I did see little horn sprouts on the top of her head.

So my resolve is to breathe. Simple but it works. Calm down.

I am off to the hotel tonight-and am armed with a eating plan. I did it last week and I intend to do it this time. Check back in tomorrow night.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Regroup: May 3, 2014

Goal #1 Lose 5 pounds (292) done May 10, 2014
Goal #2 Lose 5 more pounds (287) done June 4, 2014
Goal #3 Lose 5 more pounds (282)

One for every 5 pounds:
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #119
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

We traveled yesterday and arrived home safely. My disorganization combined with computer woes have me running behind this morning. I hope to get back later with personals. Busy mornings are great moments to recognize that I do have things I need to do for me despite the flashing sign that says hurry up!
So: Before I leave for planned exercise I will:
have breakfast-done
plan for lunch-done
post hellos at 3FC-done
read resistance cards-
preview todays lesson-
email my diet coach-
give myself credit for making dieting and exercise a priority-done!

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #120

S/C/G: 160/ticker/133

Height: 5'5"

Ordered Beck diet solution book off ebay today will arrive on Monday probably and I'll go from there. Excited xx
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.