Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #91  

Hello buddies,

today we have the Mother´s day and my husband gave me a small box of milka chocolates.(My DD couldn´t resist and gave me gifts made by her in advance)Because my daughter was there I didn´t say nothing but after she left I asked my husband that is nice of him to remember Moth.day but I don´t want to eat chocolate and ask him to hide it propearly and eat it with my daughter. Now I am upset about the whole situation, about not beeing polite and about to live under one roof with chocolate. But I gave myself credit.
And my previous days? Thursday I overeated. I try to eat chips (on plan) by moderate way and I know , it´s impossible now. I ´ll not try it for some time than my resistance muscles will be strengthen properly.

Friday - OP, 2 hours gardening, 40 min. stepper and calanetics

Saturday - OP, 1:30 gardening, short family bike trip 17,5 km( DH and DD had an icecream, me water, even if in the shop had a caramel icecream which is my best, I didn´t buy - credit. I could distinguish this thoughts: itś unfair.....but I said:Oh well.
(It´s strange but I speak to myself in english)
In the afternoon I will write personals.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited by nathy; 05-09-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #92  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default Sunday

Hello Beck friends

I have had several successful days using my new Beck tools. On Friday I called Mom and suggested my preparing a meal VS spendy buffet, so Friday was totally OP.*credit* for diversion technique. Saturday was OP, too, although I had to work very hard strengthening my resistance muscle . Events were spontaneous and it wasn't possible to plan the day before. *credit* for healthy choices. Today I'm in charge of lunch but will once again need to make a "on site" choice for breakfast when we take Mom to her breakfast out-a community celebration at the Elks Club.

BillBlueEyes,... Yep, no grazing at Whole Foods. I didn't even notice any samples!?! They must have been there. *credit* for using Distraction Activites at second hand bookstores and being "thrifty", as well.

onebyone,*credit* for wanting to keep your promise to yourself instead of feeling defeated...an attitude adjustment.

CeeJay, *credit* for recognizing "moving on" as your choice.

seadwaters, staying within your restrictions is a great *credit*. I just ordered a Beck book on e bay. I hope you get yours soon. BTW-I really like the Beck eating plan. I had a hard time finding an exercise program that worked. It has gotten easier for me. *credit* for knowing you need it.

nathy, sorry you are feeling upset about asking your husband to hide the chocolate. Perhaps it is not such a big deal to him. Maybe you can give him a tender hug as a positive reinforcement. I find it takes awhile for family members to change old habits, too. Funny that you speak to yourself in English when you use your Beck tools.

Beverlyjoy, very powerful-"just making it through one day." Tomorrow always comes soon enough. *credit* for being willing to use the resistance techniques.

gardenerjoy, now I know you're a librarian! I love exercise at farmers markets...none here yet, yesterday it was greenhouses and Costco.

wyndranne, I, too, like being able to enjoy a treat, as long as it's planned. Pancakes..yum.. How were they?

hikergirl, *credit* for the days you have stacked up in May.

Shepherdess, we got snow, too. I do hope it's over! Is there a great store in Buffalo? Healthy quick dinners are often a must around here. *credit* for good choices. Pre-dinner snacks are my struggle. I find having dinner earlier helps.

new2me2, my Sis has very similar food issues and intolerances. She had a bit of a learning curve but does quite well now. She has Crohns and clean eating really helps. I laughed, one of you will be rich and the other will be poor. Major *credit* for not buying high carb junk.

Kim, *credit* for being proud of how you handled your day.

Nuxmaga, knitting at work! lol The Denver Public Library has an in house knitting program which is quite successful. *credit* for recognizing old foraging habits and having a desire to change them.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #93  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Mother's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Happy Mother's Day to all of you who were of woman born, and to those of you with kids alike. My plans are uncertain because I volunteered to make dinner appear if the kids would come over - and both agreed - so now I have to get to some place like Whole Foods where I can select dinner. DW will be happy with anything so long as she doesn't have to make it. Going out to dinner around here is early impossible on Mother's Day. The kids will come with me so we'll have a father-kid moment where we surprise mommy with our selection.

Miserable rainy day all day - it rained on a big event at our local water department, forcing everyone inside in what was planned as an outdoor, fun, celebration. The good side was that the guy who tunes bicycles for free was standing around rather bored. In prior years I've been jealous of those who got free bicycle tune-ups but was never willing to wait in the loooooooog line. So I drove home, rode back in the rain on my DS's bike, and got it tuned; CREDIT moi. Then returned, in the rain, on my own elderly-but-in-good-shape Raleigh 10 speed which he was happy to tune also. CREDIT moi for getting two bicycle tune-ups that were both needed. Drank a half glass of off-plan apple cider that was being pressed before my very eyes - Macintosh Apples make some good cider.

Susan (hikergirl) - Kudos for a good eating day, and for being ahead for the month. Yep, stick with your Beck strategies and you'll see those days of right-sized portions accumulate.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yep, a good day has some good choices and some not so good.

Shepherdess - Yay for seeds in the ground. Our lettuce was in the ground on time a few weeks ago, but stayed there, LOL. We replanted on Friday. It's possible that my estimate of a quarter inch might have been too deep for the little guys. I feel bad thinking about them struggling to the surface and running out of food before their starter leaves can get sun.

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for "willingness" and Yay for Wendy's producing a joyful salad. Also LOL at your GS wanting "A frappaccino" - that's too much.

CeeJay - Yep, "Movin' on" is the way to go. Kudos for 40 minutes or riding your exercise bike.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for having a DH who buys a new truck to carry your topsoil. How can you have farmer's markets in May? Seems early; I'm jealous.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for "trying to develop HABITS" - when it's not a habit, I'm an expert at thinking of reasons not to do it.

nathy - Ouch for the milk chocolates, but Kudos for handling it so well with your DH. It takes a little time to retrain a DH to bring something on plan, like a basket of oranges or a pair of diamond earrings, LOL.

new2me2 - Neat idea to reward yourself for credits that you control instead of scale readings that your body controls. And extra Kudos for rewarding yourself with exercise clothes.

Readers -
Quote:
day 26
Common Thinking Errors

what are you thinking?

Try not to get self-critical as you identify your errors in thinking. If you do become critical of yourself, create a Response Card.

Sabotaging Thought: I must be stupid for making thinking mistakes.
Helpful Response: There's nothing wrong with me. Everyone has distorted thinking from time to time. It has nothing to do with intelligence. It just means I'm human. The important thing is to learn what to do about my thinking mistakes. I'm taking the first step right now by identifying them.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 197.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks...coaches....buddies.....becksters...

Happy Mother's day to all the mommy's - of people, pets and women that have certainly nurtured others along the way. I am so grateful that I have my mom and stepmom still alive. Also, that my DIL is such a good mommy.

Yesterday was a healthy day - I am grateful for that - and another day of willingness to try.

I stayed home and staying off my foot/ankle has improved that situation a bit. I was suppose to drive 4 hours to spend Mother's Day with my family - however, my foot/ankle is too sore for that. DH is there...he had business there and stayed. But - I'll celebrate with my Mom today. I told her I'd make a beautiful salad for our dinner - with chicken and all the trimmings.

I am grateful that the pain in my ankle/foot has improved. However, I am beginning to accept that I can't sit in a chair the rest of my life or quite so much. This is be part of the equation of when I do this surgery.

With all this 'sitting around' I've become a music video junkie. We get 8 channels with them in every genre of music. Sometimes I get tired of reading or writing stories - so these videos are like a mini musical. Better than eating peanuts!!

I did my Beck tasks yesterday. I feel like I am back into the swing of things. (knock on wood) I have planned for a healthy day today.

yesterday:
read arc/rc - yes
planned, logged, measured food
eat standing up - tasted when cooking...oops
no seconds - yes
tasted food - alot of the time
slow mindful eating - some of the time
gave credit

fullnes - not so much
no exercise
no beck book

billbe - sounds like you'll have a good mother's day. Even better that you'll have control of the dinner! Enjoy this time with the kids, too. Whole foods has the best ready to eat take out counter that I've ever seen!

lexxiss - major credit for making good choices in a situation where you didn't have a clue what foods would be there. I am glad you've been able to arrange things in favor of your plan as much as you have. It's good to have so many on plan days!

nathy - well done - so many on plan days with exercise is a major credit. It's hard to have chocolates...I am glad you were able to give them to DH and daughter to enjoy the rest.

seadwaters - credit for making a check list - I think it's one of the best Beck tools she suggests. Well done.

kim - glad you posted - and made some good choices you were proud about.

ceejay - so many postive credits...well done. Also - 40 minutes on the exericse bike is awesome!

shepardess - things sound like they are 'calming down' in your world. Gardening is good exercise. Everything sound so good...credits!

new2me2 - clever way to handle the credits. I wish you lots of money in your 'credit account'. I always do something special when I reach each five pound mini goal.

gardenerjoy - glad you could get to two farmers' markets. Freshest veggies are fun. A pick up truck is awesome....enjoy!

hikergirl - you said -No compulsive overeating yesterday. I now have more days in May with no compulsive overeating than days with compulsive overeating.... this is fantastic - major credit and carry on!

Shout out to anyone stopping by.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-09-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #95  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday included lots of exercise, both walking and yardwork, and lots of fresh farmers market produce.

Today's challenge is Mother's Day. We offered to take DH's mom out to eat but she didn't seem very excited about that. He kept talking and listening to her and eventually figured out that what she really wanted was for us to stop by the church and pick up BBQ to bring to her house. OK, we can do that. I'm pretty sure they'll have a cole slaw from an old German recipe that has no fat in it, which will be good. Otherwise, as I recall, it will be a big slab of meat and some white bread. But, I'll use that bread to help me with the serving size of the meat -- anything that's too much to fit in a sandwich will be left behind or taken home for a future meal.

WI: -0.95kg (new low), Exercise: +105 375/1400 minutes for May, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

new2me2: great idea to pay yourself for credits! What fun!

CeeJay: good job moving on and getting a great list of credits

bennyhannahmama: terrific to be proud of how you handled your day! I'm loving your one-line posts as a way to keep in touch with us and your goals. Kind of like haiku.

seadwaters: yay for all the things you are working out for yourself, habits and checklists and exercise. Let us know if you want suggestions for exercise ideas. What are your sources of frustration? Are there things you would like to do that are being stopped by something? Maybe we can help you brainstorm a path around the obstacles.

nathy: LOL that you tell yourself the Beck advice in English. Great job with the Mother's Day chocolate. There was no way to handle that situation in a way that made everything feel good. At least, you handled it in a way that didn't include eating it!

Lexxiss: great job rearranging things to suit your program and being flexible enough to make healthy choices on the occasions that you can't make the arrangements.

BillBlueEyes: Our early May farmer's markets usually have asparagus and radishes, but we're having a great spring, so we already have strawberries and lots of greens available. Your Mother's Day plans sound fun -- hope you all have a great day!

Beverlyjoy: good job making Mother's Day work for you even it you've had to go to Plan B. Do you chair dance to the music videos? That can count as exercise -- with enough arm movements above your head, it will even get your heart rate up.

Hello and Happy Mother's Day to everyone else who stops by today!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Good morning all! Well, let’s call yesterday as a learning experience. . . I spent the day cranky and irritated at my DH and anyone else I could think of. Started grazing in the afternoon. I did pull it together by the evening and tried to find a constructive way to deal with my negative emotions, so I am taking credit for that. I told DH that next Saturday, after we have moved the cows we have to move, we’re going to go somewhere else, spend the night and do something Sunday that does not involve cows and sheep. When you live where you work, it can be hard to get a mental break. I’m just tired and a little overwhelmed with everything I need to do and everything I want to do.

Today is looking up. We have to gather and sort the sheep today. Our range lambers are going to start lambing this week—I guess it’s Mother’s day for Sheep as well. But I should have my afternoon free and will try to get a run in.

Hikegirl, kudos for a good day and great job on more days in May without compulsive overeating. You have a great attitude to keep working at it.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for an active day. I am imagining a day with not one, but two farmer’s markets, and in May, no less—the farmer’s markets around here don’t open until mid to late July. How wonderful to have coleslaw from an old German recipe with no fat. Sounds like a great way to celebrate Mother’s Day.

New2me2, it’s always a great idea to reward yourself for all your hard work! Kudos for making some healthy changes before your “official” diet begins. There is often a tendency to have an “on-diet/off-diet” mentality that can be so sabotaging.

CeeJay, good job moving on from two lousy days. Those bad days happen, but getting back on track quickly is the key.

Bennyhannamamma, yay for a day you can be proud of! It’s great that you recognize that a day doesn’t have to be perfect to be good.

Seadwaters, I love those check lists! It’s so easy to forget all of those things I’m sure I’ll never forget. Great job staying committed to exercise. Getting started is difficult, but once you develop the habit, it becomes enjoyable.

Nathy, it’s difficult when well-meaning people give food as gifts. Good luck with working chips into your plan. I have a tough time with chips as well. It’s so tough to quit once I start.

Lexxiss, those spontaneous days are always a struggle. Great job making healthy choices on the fly. Best of luck with more to come!

BillBE, sounds like you have a great Mother’s Day in store for your DW. Ouch for fun outdoor event getting rained out, but yay for getting a bike tune-up without the wait. The apple-cider sounds wonderful. Kudos for keeping it to half a glass.

Beverlyjoy, great job on a healthy day. Yay for being back into the swing of things. Ouch for foot keeping you home from a family celebration, but it’s great that you get to spend mother’s day with your mom.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #97  

Thanks to all for your support. Today we had a short bike trip again (15 km-9.3 miles) and after that we 3(DH,DD) were in bed reading our english books. But I took a notebook and was reading your reactions and I couldn´t resist not to show the Bill´s answear to my DH.Me and my DH have very close relatinship and we have the same sense of humor so it was possible. And then I showed him every reactions.He asked me to show him my post about "the gift" . I did and he apprecciated me for my english improvement.We made agreement that he will not give me food. He is clever but can´t imagine what craving is. Whole his childhood was very slim and on our wedding day he was 6´1´´ /135! Now he is still slim but not so much.But I can´t understand when he is eating chocolate , after 2 small pieces he fells too sweet and can´t continue eating. Amd me? After 2 whole chocolate I can continue to eat another one...

New2me2 - welcome! I am glad you posted! The more Beckies the better...
And credit for your money motivation. If it´s works it´s super!

Shepherdess - credit that you could distinguish your negative thoughts and found the solution.

Gardenerjoy - happy dancing to your new low and credit for sooo many movement.

Beverlyjoy - 7 credits for yesterday and the 8th for celebration in a healthy way! I am glad that your ankle has improved.

BillBE - thanks a lot for answering my question "Why are you here?". You did a lot of work and improvement for 4 years. KUDOS for it.
And 2 credits for tuning 2 bikes!
And as the earings. Can you believe me that I told myself 3 weeks ago that after reaching 500 credits I can buy SWAROVSKI earings. Diamonds are too boring for me ...LOL

Lexxiss - I´m thinking of you - you are near your goal. So many credits for your right eating and thinking.

Seadwaters - credit for developing the HABITS, it ´s important.
You has written that you don´t like exercice for exercise. And what about walking with friend(s). You can spend nice time and the time runs off quickly.

KIM - I am really so glad that in the last days you are doing well!

Ceejay - you have written: the first half of the week was great but Thursday and Friday were not great at all.
It means that 3 days OK and 2 days KO. I can see that more times you did GREAT - credit for it!
And thanks for that: I was thinking that maybe one day chips, chocolate, sugar, cheese, etc. would not occupy my thoughts so much. They would not be important or even a consideration.
It ´s my aim as well. I think we are in the RIGHT way. I believe...

Hikegirl -".......a mini triumph. No compulsive overeating yesterday. "
WHAAAT? A mini triumph for so much work??? BIG KUDOS for you!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #98  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Sunday May 9th

Coaches/Buddies:
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms! I'm feeling really crappy today (emotionally). Can't really put my finger on it. I wanted to check in here. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Okay, so I didn't do very well with the schedule thing, lol. I am soooo not a scheduler. I may revisit this if I find myself wasting too much time, but generally I make time for stuff like this. What I DID do is make a list (I AM a list maker, lol) of all the things I needed to accomplish today, and *credit* I've finished them all.

I've been using Sundays to cook my lunches and work food for the week for several months now, and it's worked great. But, I'll give myself *credit* for cooking a week's work of chicken and hard boiling some eggs anyway, lol.

Today's chapter was exercise. Fortunately I LIKE exercise. I successfully lost 50 pounds and was quite fit from 2003 to 2006/7 until some physical issues crept up.

In 2006 they found a tumor on the bile/pancreatic duct. It was benign, but the cells looked different so it would need to be checked periodically. Then in 2007 my foot started to hurt really badly. Long story short, that pain in the foot seriously reduced the amount of exercise I could do. In 2008 I finally had surgery to fix my foot, and about 2 months after that major abdominal surgery to remove the tumor which had turned precancerous. The abdominal surgery is what caused the stomach condition I think, or maybe I always had it but that made it worse, I don't know.

Then in November I was diagnosed with the stomach condition AND with arthritis in my neck. Sheesh, right?! LOL!

So, that's where I am today. For the past few months I've been struggling to gain my fitness back and get control of my weight. I need to do more intense exercise, but my body just can't seem to handle it yet. I HAVE been exercising at least 45 minutes to 1.5 hours every day, but haven't seen much change. I mostly do exercise videos at home, and when the weather is nice, walk. I also have a couple of active games for Wii that I love and are fun.

I think in addition to the nutritionist, my doctor will probably also refer me to someone for the arthritis in my neck.

bennyhannahmama: Credit for being proud of yourself for handling your day!

Cheryl: Habits are so hard, lol, but I know from personal experience that once you've got it they can work. I used to HATE exercise, but through habit and finding the right kind, I grew to really like it. I DO think I whined in the beginning, so I will gladly bear yours, lol.

nathy: Wow, I think you were amazing to turn down the chocolate, and I love that your DH laughed about the comments later!

Lexxiss: Wow, major credit for your good choices--buffets are hard, lol.

BillBlueEyes: LOL on selecting dinner! Bet it was a good one. It rained here too! But, major credit for riding in the rain! OMGosh, that apple cider sounds wonderful!

Beverlyjoy: Credit for your healthy day, and trying is always a credit in my opinion! I'm so happy the pain in your foot has improved a bit! Hoping it will improve a lot!

gardenerjoy: OMGosh, I LOVE the idea about sizing the meat to the bread, lol. I can't tell you how many times I've had mega meat on the tiny little gluten free breads they make, lol.

Shepherdess: You are my hero...dealing with negative emotions is hard! I am definitely an emotional eater. Mother's Day for sheep--very cute!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyhannahmama View Post
Coaches/Buddies:
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms! I'm feeling really crappy today (emotionally). Can't really put my finger on it. I wanted to check in here. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
I'm so sorry you're feeling emotionally down! *credit* for checking in anyway!!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday Morning

Hi Coaches

Checking in this morning to read and post personals. Hope you all had a great Mother's day. A sad time for me still as Mum died a few years ago

BeverlyJoy - A shame you weren't up to joining your family because that foot. But I am glad you can share it with your mum. The planned surgery for your foot sounds complicated - and staying off it for so long will be challenging. But you are off it now it seems. Great list of credits so go you.

BillBlueEyes - Clever ploy to use the weather to get your bikes tuned. Hope you managed to surprise mommy and have healthy fun as well. Sounds like a spontaneous apple cider is the sort of thing that one might and should go off plan for - one can't predict these sorts of opportunities. Mind you I can turn anything into an opportunity.

CeeJay - A good list of credits. Ouch for a difficult Thursday and Friday - and credit for moving on. I would also love to lose interest in foods that didn't nourish and only fed my desire - one day maybe. I have met people who only ate to feed their body and who had no real interest in food - not sure I liked that but it would be an easier place to be

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope Mother's day went to plan - credit for diversion techniques and for having a plan.

Gardenerjoy - The new truck sounds cool. Hope Mothers Day went to plan. Congrats on the new low!Credit to you. The source of frustration for the exercise is that it is just so hard (and I am a woos) - with knee and other joints degenerated and an appalling level of fitness because of virtually zero activity for a year. I can't exercise much on land at the moment to get my aerobic fitness up as my joints are so bad but this will improve if I get some strength in supporting muscles i hope! So hence the water activity. Just being impatient I think. At the moment if I do anything vaguely energetic I get really puffed (walking 100 metres) but in the water it is better

Kim - Happy mother's day to YOU! Hope you feel less crappy soon and credit for checking in

Nathy - Congratulations on resisting the caramel ice cream (a favourite of mine too) and credit for making your needs known to your DH - a difficult thing to do. I know what you mean about restrained eating of something that is very desirable - there is no bag of chips I could leave unfinished, no matter the size. Just caught up with your next post and I am glad your DH is able to see the humour and begin to appreciate the differences between you. I can't walk any great distance yet until I get a bit stronger in the legs to protect a pretty gammy knee. But soon. I agree it is a great exercise

new2me2 - Well done with the list - I too am a list maker and need one! You are struggling with a lot of physical issues and I sympathise with trying to get your fitness back - as I say to myself it WILL happen with time. And yes - maybe I will learn to love exercise - anything is possible LOL. But if it becomes a habit that will be good

Shepherdess - I hope you get your break away from the farm as it sounds like you have identified a need. Happy mothers day to northern hemisphere sheep
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #102  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
We went to brunch buffet for my mother-in-law, and I didn't have seconds, yay! I did have a big calorie day, but I tracked it anyway, and oh well. If I had skipped dinner I would've been on target. . .Well, off to bed.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday Night

Hi Coaches

My second check-in today as planned - this time to go through my check-list and reflect on the day. Today in the water felt good - I had more stamina and managed to work quite hard which was good. Now I am tired in a good way. I have ordered (from an Australian company - Amazon takes a bit of time) the green book - got it free postage and 20% off ! I do like a bargain.

Credits
- Read A&R cards - Once
- Planned my day - Yes - I have ticked everything off my list but the ironing (grrrrr) which I am "saving" for later
- Made food plan - Yes
- Food on-plan - So far
- Posted to the list - Twice
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - think so
- Put down fork occasionally - No - darn
- Weighed myself - yes - 219.4
- Drank water - not enough
- Exercise - YEP - 1 hour in pool
- Resistance techniques - haven't been craving yet
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - sometimes - feeling good with myself so yes

Working on
- Reading the pink book and HABITS - of mind, of exercise, of the program
- Not playing computer games!

Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 05-10-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #104  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a stellar Mother's Day since it started with spotting an American Redstart - a warbler that's not frequently seen around here. CREDIT moi for getting out on a cold and windy Sunday morning.

The kids and I did select dinner from Whole Foods. They're a delight to shop with. Both have definitive tastes and strong opinions, but buying a meal is easy since I'm willing to just buy some of each. Yep, we surprised mommy who was delighted to get in another hour of her precious gardening until we got back home and put it all on the table. My eating was good through the meal - one plate, lots of veggies, only half my serving of broiled salmon; CREDIT moi. The surprise in the grilled Caribbean veggies was to bite into mango - double yummy. Then I had the dessert that was so carefully selected for mom even though I usually don't do desserts. So skipped my evening snack as a token offering to the metabolic processes within that don't know about special occasions.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Hope today is bright.

Shepherdess - Yay for figuring out that you're not a cranky person, but just in need of a mental break. How do "range lambers" pull off the kind of care and individual pens that you do in the birthing barn?

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for being realistic about what your foot/ankle needs; Ouch that you missed the family gathering. LOL at "music video junkie" - so much stuff to get into.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for no seconds even if calories had their day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for listening to your DH's mom until you figured out what she wanted. My take is that that's just so difficult when you have a grand event in mind and she wants something so simple and unobvious as a church BBQ take out. Neat idea to limit the huge meat serving.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Sending supportive thoughts in memory of your Mum - can understand that it makes for a difficult Mother's Day.

Gotta laugh though that you put your finger right on the dilemma with "Mind you I can turn anything into an opportunity." Yep, opportunities to eat off-plan abound.

nathy - It's great that you are able to share your post about your DH's gift with him and resolve the notion of giving food. Neat that you're planning on Swarovski crystal earrings; I am a BIG Swarovski fan - of their binoculars that is. Yep, I know about being able to eat two whole chocolates and then continue, LOL.

new2me2 - Kudos for persistence in finding an exercise plan and food plan to fit your own body. List making works for me, too - when I do it, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 27
Master the Seven Questions Technique

You now have the list of sabotaging thoughts and thinking mistakes. Today, you'll create additional Response Cards to help you more effectively reply to these thoughts. You'll read these cards at a set time every day, ideally when you read your Advantages Response Card. You'll also pull them out whenever you need them. Over time, as you practice these ideas again and again, you'll begin to automatically respond to your sabotaging thoughts, even without the cards.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 199.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-10-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #105  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

It's a travel day here. I've been packing tomato plants and getting the house organized. This afternoon we'll leave our tidied yard and head home. I'm looking forward to getting back into my post holiday/travel routine. I'm still working on baby steps. One thing I've been noticing is that I'm really starting to be AWARE of my daily habits, both desirable and ones needing improvement. For me, its a very big step. I've read my resistance cards this AM and will get some more Beck reading in before heading to the yard to finish my projects. My diet coach and I are nearing the end of our "first" six weeks and are in communication as to our plan for continuing to work on our Beck learning together.

BillBlueEyes, your father-kid dinner selection sounded yummy. *credit* for extreme biking in the quest for a free tune up! (X2!) I would love to see apple pressing in action!

Kim,*credit* for checking in even though you were feeling emotionally crappy. Your statement, "can't really put my finger on it" is perplexing to me, too. I wonder why one day something seems very second nature and the next day it seems more difficult. *credit* for noticing.

Shepherdess, *credit* for recognizing your emotions and gettin back on track. A mental break sounds like an especially reasonable request. I hope you got your run in.

Beverlyjoy, thanks for recognizing us "pet mommies". They don't cook or clean or bring me flowers, but love me unconditionally. *credit* for feeling "back in the swing of things"...and for another healthy day!

Nuxmaga, *credit* for not having seconds! I think it's great to recognize that a big calorie day is better than skipping dinner.

gardenerjoy, I enjoyed your recollection of BBQ, "a big slab of meat and some white bread." It occured to me that an accurate description of food could be used as a very effective resistance technique. Good that you both cared to find out what Mom really wanted and fullfilled her desire on Mothers Day. on yet another new low!

seadwaters, *credit* for exercise at the pool and a legitimate dancing carrot! *credit* for planned check-ins, especially during a day with sad feelings missing Mum.

nathy,*great credit* for sharing your Beck program with DH. How fortunate you are to have such a supportive and understanding spouse. lol for skinny guys who can stop after 2!

new2me2, thanks for taking the time to share with the group the many medical issues that you've been through. It's very heartening to see how hard you are working to regain your fitness and take control of your weight. *credit* for heading in the right direction. I really wish I were a better list maker-I'm working on it.

I'm looking forward to a mindful day...enjoy yours everyone!
Closed Thread