Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #331  

Hi Everyone,

we have quite strange weather for a month - sunny and then raining, again raining...maybe a vulkano is angry with us...who knows.

Read ARC 2x
Read Becks book
Eat sitting
Eat slowly (90%) and mindfully 90%)
Eating on plan
Giving a credit
Contact you, my dear Buddies
Exercise - 20 min. calanetics, 15 min.legs exerc.
Drunk water
After dinner brushed my teeth
At 20.00 I said "goodnight" to my kitchen and I closed it (mentaly)
My mother in law sent me a chocolate cake - I didn´t eat.

Weight in - NO

Last edited by nathy; 05-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #332  

new2me2 - marathon of trying on clothing - I love it, too.
Credit for losing 6.4 pounds total! good job.

Lexxiss - credit for healthy weekend even when you vere busy!

seadwaters - BIG KUDOS for going through such a hard therapy and have thoughts and power to work on food issue.
I don´t know if is a good idea to drop down to the next calorie level in Beck. Your weight gaining is for sure from prednisolone plus the hormone therapy. Is possible wait (with down cal.level) till you therapy will end? I think your body needs a lot of energy for recovery. Good luck!

BillBEE - I had to googled "fiddleheads ", I have never heard abou it. Credit for teaching the teacher,lol:-D
"Yep, a good bread calls for second servings all right. " - Yes, but it should be (should have been???) OP!!! , lol. Listen, I put the bread into the toaster and put on garlic(love garlic) miixing with olive oil , yummy.

Beverlyjoy-KUDOS for resisting so much yummy food! You are a hero!

ThisTime7 - for me is the hardest food time during a vacantion. But you did well till now so vacantion will be Ok as well. I´m looking for you report.

Gardenerjoy - planting herbs is a good exercise, credit for it!

Shepherdess - thanks for sharing your AR card about losing motivation and credit for so much work you did!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #333  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question feeling Beck-less

Hi Coaches

My plans to do the BMI program have to be canceled tomorrow. I really can't swing it without depleting all of my hard won cash resources. So I am back to my own resources and that means believing in Beck. How many times can you start again anyway?

Guess "once more" will have to be the answer to that.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - Today went well - I got the birthday 'goodies' out of the house. No pie or other bakery nibbles for me. Credit. I am always grateful for that.

I am leaving a day early to visit my DS, DIL and GS. GS has had the flu - I thought I could go and stay there and help out. dh will hold down the home front. I will be back on Friday. I am leaving by 6am - to avoid the Monday holiday traffic the best I can.

A few days ago I started reading the response card for travel. I will use my alternative food plan - food exchanges. That is easier for me while away from home. I am bringing a bag of some of my staples and snacks. I'll try to hold on tight to what I know helps. Also - I am hoping for the willingness to try to do them.

I should be able to check in during the week - I hope daily. Everyone...have a GREAT week.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-31-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #335  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches
A quick check in before hunger overtakes me - a big day today and I am tired. Good except for a spot of eating while standing over the sink. I was making soup and had to strip the meat. I was about 2 hours late with lunch and not a time to be playing with my food. It ended up one-for-the-pot, one-for-me, etc. I recorded the intake and adjusted other meals but still - I think it falls squarely in the categories of "unplanned eating", "eating while not sitting down" big time, and "mindless eating". Not good. I am also trying to redistribute my calories and take Beck's intentions - as they were intended. In that one divides the calories over the day. I found because of activities etc I have been loading them to the end of the day and I need to stop late night eating (in front of the TV). Will report tomorrow how it all goes. Good so far - I feel more satisfied. I missed my swim today because I had the dentist and the exercise physio - and I really did miss it. Off to work tomorrow

BeverlyJoy - Huge Credit - I got through a food filled day in my calorie range - and what a challenge that was. I am in awe of your resistance and ability to stay on plan. Great practice. Sounds like you are really organised for your travel - credit! Have a great week yourself

BillBlueEyes - I read about fiddle head ferns - baby fronds - years ago in a Japanese Temple Food cookery book and have been fascinated to try them every since. No luck so lucky you and they sound yum. Good luck with the beriberi!

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope your day and your swim went well and to plan

Gardenerjoy - Great plan for the family gathering - always difficult to have control of eating in those circumstances. During chemo they give such large doses of steroids to control nausea and to increase appetite that these days you put on weight - unfair really! I went in thinking - "goody - the up side might be that I might lose weight" - not so. Put on about 12 # (I was already well overweight). I am on a reducing dose of pred which I take for arthritis but I rarely get it lower than 2 mg - at moment on 6mg. Will keep chipping away at it. But it does make you hungry and increase your weight. You are right - it would be a lot worse if I wasn't doing all this

Nathy - I am going to adopt your evening ploy of making the kitchen off limits after a certain time - a good strategy. Great list of credits. Ouch for a generous mother in law. Hormone therapy goes on too long to wait (5 years) and I have finished all other treatments so as far as I am concerned I am in the rehabilitation phase so need to get active etc!

Donna (new2me2) - Credit for the weight loss - I can't wait to fit into some of my other clothes but I am not holding my breath. Hope you have fun with your clothing marathon

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - Once
- Planned my day - yes
- Made food plan - yes - but had to rearrange it
- Food on-plan - not quite
- Posted to the list -yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - A bit of over kitchen bench eating
- Put down fork occasionally - - Yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - back down - 217.4lb sigh - up and down like yo you
- Drank water - Yes
- Exercise - Yes - exercise physiology - 45 min
- Resistance techniques - yes
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Putting down that knife and fork! and exercise

Have a good day Beckies
-------
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 05-31-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 AM   #336  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - US Memorial Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - So having mentioned beriberi, I looked up the symptoms to know what to look for to tell if I got it from eating the fiddleheads. I'm clean so far; in fact it's rare in the United States - phew.

Exhibited stellar performance around nibble-able food that included broken cookies and large crumbs - two items that YELL my name. I PLANNED IN ADVANCE to avoid them (predicting that when I faced a table of cookies, there's be some fragments) and I did. CREDIT moi. Yay for planning - seems like I can forget that's what I do with Beck. I like that one since I've been a nibbler lately. Exercise was a bike ride to visit the Red-tailed Hawk nest, CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Ouch for the change in plans. But, welcome to Beck as needed, whenever needed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for a menu chosen by a 14 year old male - of course it's fried chicken, LOL. Gotta grab the silver lining that the money goes to the church and not to KFC. I think I'd pick fiddleheads from the wild - but I don't do wild mushrooms.

Shepherdess - Yay for the summer pasture. My guess is that Wyoming has to-die-for wild flowers at your altitude. We saw some amazing wild flowers when we climbed Mount Washington a couple of years ago.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for a "food filled day in my calorie range" - that's so much what we're trying to do here. Like that plan for a quarter cup of ice cream. That's really a reasonable serving size. There's no need for the giant bowls that I used to have. Hope that I'm as independent at 85 as your mom and aunt.

Have a great week visiting your grandson. Neat that you'd already had experience pulling out your alternative food plan.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Kudos for planning each meal - even if just before. This planning strategy thing is good stuff.

Ouch for the tired in today's post. I've done that "one-for-the-pot, one-for-me" and couldn't figure out why I wasn't hungry by the time I sat down to the meal, LOL. Good luck with your challenge to late night eating.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for getting to the pool early.

nathy - Your Resistance Muscle is getting a workout with your MIL's chocolate cake - Kudos. Yep, the bread should have been OP (Congrats for doing the hard parts of English) - but toasted with garlic and olive oil make me drool as I type.

Donna (new2me2) - Congrats on your scale loss of 6.4. And Kudos for planning your trip so far in advance.

ThisTime7 - Kudos for passing up the cakes - with Extra Kudos because it was tuff. Interesting thought, "Can’t wait till the day when food goes past me and I don’t worry about it." That does happen for me sometimes, but then, when I don't expect it, it's difficult again. I do think it's getting easier for me over time. Fiddleheads are the curled green shoot of the fiddle fern before it unravels and looks like a fern. There are pictures on google.

Oh yes, I'd love some pictures of Aussie birds. I just looked up that you live near Perth (not difficult since there's a large map of Australia hanging right behind me) - got reminded that Australia is one BIG country. It's a long way from Perth to Darwin to Sydney to Melbourne. My dream to visit Australia always confronts that notion that I might not get to see the whole of it and there's special stuff everywhere.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29
Resist Food Pushers

If you haven't had much practice in turning down food, you might get a little nervous the first time you try it. It'll definitely get easier to do over time, as you see that nothing terrible happens.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 210.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-01-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #337  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Good morning! Hope those of you with a holiday today are doing well with it.

Yesterday, I met my exercise goal for May! Today is mostly about yardwork, so I'll be getting lots of low-key activity today.

WI: +0.1kg, Exercise: +25 1400/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Shepherdess: Yay for the long run! That's an excellent idea to plan for your extra calories on long run days. I think I would resist that notion, too. One of the contestants on The Biggest Loser this past season dramatically made that point -- he trained for the marathon, didn't take into account the extra calories he would need, and ended up with uncontrolled night-time snacking so that he gained 2 pounds in 30 days when everyone else lost 10 or 20 pounds.

new2me2: hope your wardrobe session went well!

nathy: yay for the long list of credits!

onebyone: yay for persistence! "Once more" is a great answer.

Beverlyjoy: hope you have a good and safe travel day. Switching to an exchange plan is an excellent strategy for travel.

seadwaters: good job thinking through how it might work better for you to spread your calories through the day. Thanks for all the info on the current state of cancer treatment.

BillBlueEyes: yay for planning your way around broken cookies!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I hope everyone is out enjoying a beautiful Memorial Day. We spent the day yesterday driving up into the Laramie mountain range. This is the first weekend that some of those roads were accessible. We had a large picnic lunch. I wasn’t sure how that was going to work since I almost always have my largest meal in the evenings, but by dinner, I only wanted something small and light anyways. I didn’t get a lot of exercise. We got out to walk in a few places, but it was mostly a leisurely stroll so I could identify some wildflowers. I’ve been putting some miles on my legs and they deserved a rest.

I also officially signed up for the Leading Ladies Marathon in Spearfish, SD in August. I’ve run several half marathons and always wanted to do a full one, but something always gets in the way. I wanted to see how Saturday’s long run went before I committed. It was tough, but doable and my legs feel good, so this is the year of the marathon. A lot of people sign up for a marathon hoping that the increased training load will help them drop a few lbs, only to be disappointed that they actually gain weight. Yes, you burn more calories with the increased training, but your body is not stupid and simply increases your appetite to meet the demands of the increased workload. So it’s just like anything else, it requires planning so I properly fuel my body to do all the work I’m asking of it, but I have to make sure I don’t over-fill the tank.

New2me2, congrats on another lb (or close enough to one) down. Have fun planning for your trip! I hope blue skies follow you wherever you go.

Nathy, those volcanoes definitely mess with weather patterns. Last year there was a volcano that erupted in Alaska. My SIL is a volcanologist (studies volcanoes) and she told us that we were going to have a cold, wet summer and we did. None of my warm weather plants (tomatoes, peppers, corn) produced anything, but my lettuces were happy all summer.

Onebyone, I know giving up on your BMI idea is disappointing. Sending hug of support. Maybe you can start setting some money aside for it and plan on doing it in the future. Meanwhile, you can keep working at Beck. You have been successful at it in the past.

Beverlyjoy, great job getting all of the birthday goodies out of the house. It’s great that you’re going to help out while your GS is sick, but hope it is also a pleasant trip. Kudos for planning ahead.

Seadwaters, don’t beat yourself up too much for unplanned eating when you were well overdue for lunch. It’s just one of those “oops” moments and it is something to plan for in the future. Congrats on getting to the point where you miss exercise.

BillBE, kudos for avoiding “nibble-able” food. I have a part of my brain that says “It’s not a whole cookie so the calories don’t count.” Maybe it’s that all-or-nothing part of my brain. My favorite wildflower is Indian Paint Brush, our state flower. But it’s just the showiest of all of them. There are lots of pretty flowers out this time of year.

Gardenerjoy, congrats on meeting your exercise goal for the month! And great job planning a day of low-key activity to celebrate. Some of us may have been tempted to plan a day on the couch, LOL. Thanks for passing on that tip from the Biggest Loser. I think many of us who have struggled with weight are used to thinking of food as an enemy, but it’s good to remember that it fuels us as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #339  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Yesterday was good. We were invited out after church (suprise!) but I had time to research the menu online-got there and they weren't serving the usuals. The special holiday menu didn't suit me so well and I had to really think things through-since not eating was really not an option. I did ok. *credit* I had time to reflect last night about how important it is for me to accept my chosen WOE and to always come mentally "prepared" for the "turn of events". On a day like yesterday I need to take personal responsibility for making the best choice possible and to not overeat.

I set aside time for personals, but Mom needed me for a project. I've been to the pool *credit* for 2 hours of water yoga. I'll get back later if I can.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #340  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all!

I am packed and ready to go. I leave early tomorrow. If I can check in tomorrow it probably won't be until late, or I may just try for Wednesday morning. Once the first day is over I should be able to check in regularly, but may only be able to do short posts. I get some free internet time, but only 150 minutes. Sounds like a lot, but we're gone for 10 days!

I'm going on a cruise, and the food selections will be different every day, so I won't be able to plan actual food items, but my two rules should take care of that. Only eat when hungry, and only eat proper sized portions. I can't eat the desserts and breads, so that helps. And, I have cruised a number of times, so I do know what to expect as far as food selections (just won't know what/when), so that will help. I am planning for a soy latte for most days, and I'm bringing some safe nutrition bars and peanut butter packets to take into ports and on shore excursions with me. But, I plan to practice hunger whenever I can, lol.

I've only got 1 shore excursion planned, and that's a ziplinning trip which I think also includes a little hiking near or on one of the glaciers. In case you haven't guessed, we're going to Alaska!

The forecast is rain, rain, and more rain, but are going prepared, so it will be fun regardless. I've got my rain gear all packed. It rained like crazy when we were there in September, and we still had tons of fun.

My friend has been there a lot, in fact used to live there as a child, so she probably won't want to do too much walking around, but I plan to at least get off the ship and do some walking. I bought the warmest pair of socks there last year and I want to get a couple more pair!

nathy: Oh gosh, we've had the strangest weather here too...it was SOOO hot in February, and it's been cold and rainy ever since! And, no volcanos close by either, lol. Great job on NOT eating that chocolate cake!

onebyone: Give yourself credit for starting again, no matter how many times! I'm sorry the BMI program had to be canceled!

Beverlyjoy: Credit for no pie or nibbles!!! Sorry your GS is sick, hope he feels better soon!

Cheryl (seadwaters): Hope your plan goes well! Yay for being back down!

BillBlueEyes: Congrats on stellar performance!! Broken cookies would be dangerous for me if I could eat gluten!! They do indeed YELL don't they!

gardenerjoy: Congratulations on meeting your exercise goal!!!!

Shepherdess: Your day at Laramie sounds wonderful!!! Wow, congratulations on signing up for the marathon! That's HUGE!!

Last edited by new2me2; 05-31-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #341  

Hi Everyone,

Weight in
Read ARC 2x
Read Becks book
Eat sitting
Eat slowly (90%) and mindfully(90%)
Eating on plan (90% -mutual changed lunch and dinner)
Giving a credit
Contact you, my dear Buddies
Exercise - 23 min. treadmill , 5 min.legs exercise
Drunk water
After dinner brushed my teeth
At 20.00 I said "goodnight" to my kitchen and closed it (mentaly).
Created a Memory "box" - in my "Diet" notebook.
Gave the rest of the cake to my husband for a snack - I didn´t have any.
Have for my snack some strawberies and when I opened my desk (at work) I saw wholegrain bisquits.Had a very short sabot.thought -to have only one.No choise! Didn´t have any. Only planned strawberies - from my garden. Today I made first jam.

Beverlyjoyce - have a nice time with your relatieves! And credit for mental plannning your journey and for preparing snacks.

seadwaters - you said: "During chemo they give such large doses of steroids to control nausea and to increase appetite that these days you put on weight" The same experience had my best friend. After her operation she lost to 103!!! (normaly she is 5´5´´/120) and couldn´t get chemo untill she is(was??) 110. Now she is after radiation, nearly 1 year chemo and ahead 3-4 years of hormonal therapy. Good luck, brave girls!
Credit for your determination " ....need to get active etc."

BillBEE - funny KUDOS for planned pices of cookies. I am looking forward to
what you creat in you mind tomorrow.

Gardenjoy - you deserve KUDOS for your May exercise goal. It is not easy to exercise for so many minutes.

Last edited by nathy; 05-31-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #342  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Hi all,
Just a quick check in missed posting last night. Back on track today and going to keep off the bread for a few days after too much on the weekend.
Put a 1lb on over the weekend so its all system go to get back to where I was Saturday morning. Have a lot on this week and have a two day conference Thursday and Friday. Will have to take some extra heavy duty Response and Advantage cards with me as these work things are hard.

Sorry for not catching up with everyone will get time tonight.
Cheers ThisTime7
Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #343  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post 60/40

Hi Coaches

I'd give myself a 40% effort to be OP today. I am eating too much sugar. I have also awakened the craving monster and I just want to eat eat eat. I can feel I am getting close to being "over it" soon. Some mysterious combination of circumstances clicks and I am on the wagon again. Credit for even thinking about the wagon.

I'm feeling anxiety as I've chewed one nail right down. I used to be a horrible nail biter. Now it's just every so often I do it. I consider this a habit I have overcome with a bit of backsliding. Maybe someday I'll be able to say this about my food and my eating.

I'm not feeling hopeful about the food and finding a plan, but sometimes I have to take any kind of action and then the feelings come around later. Seeing myself try seems to silence the inner criticthe one that's really cranky. So I'll take credit for a few good things today: cooking from scratch for dinner; parking far from the store to make myself walk a little bit more; looking at calorie counts and considering them; trying to be gentle with myself when I want to really be hard on myself which does me no good; posting here and being honest.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #344  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone-

Have not been able to post much lately. But I am still at it!!

new2me2-yay for your 1 pound loss. FANTASTIC!!! Hope you have a great vacation. I hope one day to do a cruise to Alaska. Will look forward to your stories.

julzchiki-welcome aboard!!!

Nuxmaga- waving hello!

seadwaters- good wishes for you for trying to stop eating in front of the TV. Eating without doing other activities is a challenge for me too- I am a mulitasker and before Beck rarely just ate and did nothing else.

BillBlueEyes-you seem to have avoided the beriberi. Good. LOL. Love fiddleheads.

Lexxiss-good for you for revising the food when you needed to. I think it is a sign of how well you are doing that you can do that.

onebyone-I so can relate to getting to the threshold of success and then to have a stressful event and stop. You can start again as many times as you need to. We are all with you. Credit for what you did today.

MerinoGirl-wishing you well in recovery mode.

ThisTime7-yay for being back on track! Good luck with the confrence, they can be tricky.

Beverlyjoy-Good thing you got rid of all the "goodies", which are really "badies". Hope your grandson is feeling better. You are really good at staying in control while away from home so you should do just fine.

gardenerjoy-congratulations for meeting your exercise goal for May- dedication!

Shepherdess-we have fawns here too- not antelope but lots of deer. So nice to see the babies. Your trip to the mountains sounds lovely. Good luck training for the marathon.

nathy-I can totally relate to the difficulty of staying on plan everyday. But you keep coming back so that's what counts. Nice list of credits yesterday and good for you for not eating the chocolate cake.

ponee-good for you for not giving up.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #345  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

I have not been posting much but have been reading. Have just been way too busy and working too much. I need to resettle into some kind of sensible routine.

Overwork/stress are huge issues for me and have derailed me many times. But I am happy to report that I did very well last week at the hotel so was proud of that. Having the microwave in the room really helped and I bought frozen dinners and salad from the grocery store and so stayed within reason.

I am determined to keep my health my top priority. I know that the only way to do that is to have enough time so am trying to keep my commitment to myself to not do too much work on off hours. My off hours need to be for cooking healthy stuff, planning meals, walking or riding the exercise bike, checking in with myself and with you dear coaches, relaxing, doing things that are fun and going to bed early.

Credit today for:

-checking in here
-weighing in
-riding exercise bike 30 minutes
-doing weights
-planning tomorrow and packing lunch
-eating on plan
-reading response and advantage cards

Closed Thread