Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #76  
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Default I'M BECK...er... I MEAN BACK!

Anyone miss me? Anyone?
Ha. Thought so. Anyway after traveling, I came home and worked on my new home and marriage for a while...kept to my dietary food selection criteria but let Beck methods slip (portion size, mindful eating). So now I have to cut back more because when I overeat portions of dried fruit or beans or nuts, I get sick to my stomach! Proof: Crime doesn't pay! When will I ever learn for good?

Anyway, its good to be back in Beckland.
Cheers!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #77  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone - just flying by ... the next two weeks are perhaps the craziest of the whole year, but so far I have stayed on plan with minor deviances, and have been exercising pretty consistently this week. Yay for air-popped popcorn, my snack saviour of the week!
Wish I had time for personals but I have another student coming ... I just want all of you to know I'm thinking of you & appreciating your presence here!
best
Erika
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #78  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Thumbs down

Coaches/Buddies:
Left work early yesterday because I wasn't feeling well. Stayed home today because I was feeling worse. At 9am I got a call from my son's daycare that he has lice and I need to pick him up right away. Picked him up then got daughter from her school. Confirmed with pediatrician that they did indeed both have lice. Took them to a place that treats it because I felt too crappy to deal with it myself. Got home at 4:30 and have been cleaning/laundering ever since I've wanted to stress eat a lot, but have kept it under control. I'm not OP, just trying to survive. The cleaning is helping me burn a lot of calories though Still feel pretty crappy, hopefully going to bed soon. That was my no fun day.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #79  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Good Evening check-in

Good Evening Coaches

Well here's how the day went:

I forced myself to have a real breakfast and to actually choose one so I had 2 boiled eggs & two icky white breads; one slice of bread had minimal margarine on it.

What was good about it? The protein What was poor?it was white bread (DH's - I don't have any bread right now.) Is this a suitable breakfast for me? Love the eggs. Don't want the bread really. What else can I have eggs with? I don't think(?) you are supposed to have whole eggs everyday are you? So I need to look into eggbeaters and such. I like eggs for breakfast. I loathe cereals. blech. And I can do the odd day of oatmeal but it doesn't satisfy me at all. I don't mind fruit in the morning. But I don't like yogurt really-it seems to be a trigger food for me somehow-might be the texture. I love cheese but I need to watch the salt if I am going to start watching other things may as well throw that in from the get go. Hmmm. Maybe I can get into fancy schmancy breakfast omlettes with eggbeaters then? It means (hello) planning ahead and chopping stuff up or buying stuff chopped but making sure I have fixin's when I need them in a bowl or something.

Lunch did not do so well. I missed it then had a biscotti with coffee a friend bought me. Then I came home starving and got in around 3pm and asked DH if he had a snack. he always has a snack and he handed me a cheap chocolate egg filled with stuff and I snarfed it down. Then he told me not to blame him for falling off the wagon. I don't. I didn't. My wagon wasn't hitched up right then and there. I went into the freezer, got 4 frozen pre-made eggrolls, nuked them, ate them and started dinner right after I ate them but not before I enjoyed a small glass of red wine, which is a rare occasion for me to have some wine.

2 hours later we had potatoes from the oven and porkchops that weren't good. I think I have to throw out the porkchops and the lambchops in my freezer cause when we bought them I let them sit in the fridge too long and I think they went sort of bad. I ate mine with a bit of suspicion and DH just said no to his. No harm done to me; I feel fine but I think they have to go. I have really been neglecting myself coaches, letting good food just sit there and go bad. Wow, so wasteful. Really. But, like Dr Beck says O well, that's over. It's a clean slate so out they go in the trash tomorrow night.
Oh yeah and then DH handed me two Kindereggs for dessert. I enjoyed them.

So is this good or bad? I will again say "better". Credit for having a breakfast today. Credit for having a dinner made from scratch. Credit for stepping on the scale today. Credit for posting here and reading your posts. Thank you for writing-a credit from me to you for doing that.

Need to work on going cold turkey off sugar again. Possibly Monday. For now I continue to cut back. Yes, today was an improvement. I will officially weigh in tomorrow as I do like Friday morning as my weigh in day of the week.

bennyhannahmama No kidding you absolutely did have a no fun day. So sorry about that. BIG kudos for not making it worse with stress eating. Beware that it doesn't get you once this crisis passes. Just keep on keepin' on.

eusebius Credit for working Beck while busy.

midlifecrisis57 Credit for coming back. I too just returned. It seems I "forgot" some critical things that Beck had me work on before; portion sizes and no choice definitely fell by the wayside for me.

gardenerjoy Credit for giving your body what it needs to heal re: massage. (Those smiley hands are the closest things I could find to massaging hands in the smiley list here.) May you be gardening with great joy soon.

nathy Glad you found us!

Newlifestyle I'm going to take my time figuring out my plan for the lunch and the breakfast. I just want a few options and I've gone this long I can take a few more days to get it right enough; not perfect but good enough to start doing something deliberately and not just on the fly like I usually do. I'm just not sane when it comes to food truth be told. I need structure around it or I go mental. Dr. Beck does work for me IF I do as she says... big IF sometimes! I'm going to need to remind myself just what that is again for sure. Actually she allows us 2 weeks to get ready for dieting if I recall correctly. Two weeks seems about right. Guess I started yesterday.

jazzmegirl In the past the crockpot was my best friend. I hope to renew our relationship very soon. Hope you had a good day today

shepherdess It made me smile when I read your line to "read the directions." I thought, man, I can relax! I got a plan-I don't have to figure stuff out, I have to follow a plan-I need to read the plan again. Thanks for simplifying this so effectively for me.

Beverlyjoy I hope your day went well.

Chinamaine Congrats to you for doing your yoga-may you do it any day you want to-and congrats to your DH for landing a job he's happy to do.
Also congrats for getting in the groove.

Lexxiss Hello. I liked this in your credit list
Quote:
Today
Screen saver-"slow and mindful"
It's a great idea you have there.
Credit for all your credits 5 days in! Awesome.

BillBlueEyes Thank you for reminding me that this is protein and this is protein and this is protein and this is protein and this is protein but a muffin is not protein. 'Tis true enough friend. It was your simple lay-nutrionist observation that pushed me to having some real protein for breakfast today. Thanks coach.

Off to bed now. Thanks for reading all the way to here coaches.
PS. I do enjoy the liberal use of 3fc's hokey smilies.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-08-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Yes!

Midlifecrisis57, yes! I did miss you!

Honestly, I have learned so much from each of my dear Beckies, anyone of us gone missing is a loss, but yes, to answer your question, I *did miss you!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #81  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Amie (jazzmegirl) - Yep, there are a bunch of regular and irregular posters here. Don't try to do personals right away - it's just too overwhelming. Your technique to do a few, one at a time is a good solution. It's not like valentines in the fourth grade where you had to give one to everybody or give none at all, LOL. Hope "Marley and Me" went well.
I am one of the irregulars. Good to see you.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday Evening

Coaches

Had a good day today - somewhat on plan (or in control at least). Still messing about with ideas. Had some friends over for lunch to eat their way through my over-abundance of food given I only have tomorrow to finish it before I go to the city. The pile is considerably whittled down. I am still feeling motivated and hopeful but still not settled on a specific diet / plan yet - will have to decide by the end of next week.

I have decided to go to lbs rather than kg because it is easier on this list. I also have to say while the number looks so much bigger - it seems easier to lose 1 UNIT! Also better to have a 5lb rather than 5kg short term goal. So I am becoming bilingual for heights and weights

A big hello to all

Cheryl
Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Welcome Nathy Hope we get to know you soon. This is a useful place to be
Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckfolks - yesterday was a healthy day - I am always grateful for that. It was busy & I was really tired from getting little sleep the night before - but, I was able and willing to push through and stay in my calorie range. My plan took some twists and turns, but the calories were fine and I wrote everything down that I ate. I really need to get to the grocery store - I am running low on veggies. Since I am trying to eat more veggies, it would help to have them in the house. Planning, planning, planning - yes, I hear your Dr. Beck.

I am heading into my fourth month using the Beck principles. I still have many chapters to read and more response cards to create. I must move forward with this. Historically - I start to 'struggle' around four months when I am eating healthfully. My best friend is a psychologist and she said that it's not unusual for this to happen at around four months. I think I will have to be more dedicated to doing my tasks to get through this time. I must get through it!! I WILL get through it.

Today I will take my mom to have a colonoscopy. She's a 16 year colon cancer surivor. I'll do my 'public service announcement' here and remind folks that this is an important test. It saved my mom's life.

credit-
lots of water
logged food
fork down between bites - some of the time
did my stretches and strengthening
left a bite - every time
used resistance techniques
ate mindfully - some of the time

oops
no spontaneous exerices
changed my plan around
didn't think about fullness
ate two peanuts standing up - unusal for me - that's one principle I took to heart early on
did not read rc/arc

I want respond to people often as time permits...sometimes, I'll come back during the day and do a few more personals later on in the day.

seadwaters - it seems like having food premade is helping a bit. It's funny - having different measurements around the world. I get a bit confused with measuring in centemeters and recipes in grams, etc. But - we never outgrow the opportunity to learn new things, I guess.

silverbirch - HI!

onebyone - good credits for eating your meals(dinner from scratch) & posting. You can check those things off your daily list and it will feel good. The chocolate egg incident is over....carry on. I have to throw that stuff away or have dh keep it in his car. (sounds funny I know)

kim - so sorry you are still feeling badly. And head lice - such a royal pain in the arse to deal with. When I was a preschool teacher I was 'the best' teacher at spotting them and the nits. (a talent I wish I didnt have because it became my job) Be diligent and the beasties will go. Take care now.

midlifecrisis - yes, I wondered where you were. Crime doesn't pay! When will I ever learn for good?
- man that is really the truth. Glad you posted.

erika - so pleased for you...staying on your plan!! Glad you posted. Yay popcorn!

I'll be back later for more personals.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-09-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Ann (Newlifestyle)

Ann (Newlifestyle)

And in case you didn't get one of these when you joined nearly 4 years ago,

Neat that you had the Beck book in your closet, but how did you learn about Beck and happen to have it there?

And how did you find the Beck Forum here at 3FC?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome nathy

nathy

And, in honor of your first post on 3 Fat Chicks,

How did you learn about Beck's books?

And how did you find the Beck Forum here at 3FC?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #87  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had salmon collar again for lunch with a little left-over rice; CREDIT moi. The rice absorbed some of the excess salmon fat so I would get all the Omega-3's. There's a tension between the Omega-3's and the calories of fatty fish - just a reminder that nutrition isn't a good vs. bad issue, but an issue of getting the nutrition I need in the calories I'm consuming.

maryblu - I second your notion, "anyone of us gone missing is a loss."

onebyone - Yay for protein; Yay for five different smileys for protein, LOL. Yep, each day is a clean slate to live the day. Congrats on working so hard to figure out an eating plan that'll work for you.

ChinaMaine - Wonking Congrats to your DH for landing a job in such a tight market. And extra Congrats that it even has the luxury of choosing between contractor and full time status. Kudos for getting right back to "identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate" after returning from your trip.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Ouch for when it rains it pours. Kudos for bringing your kids to the de-lousing station when that's what you needed to do to deal with it. Around here, lice are most active among the wealthier kids in private schools - don't know how lice can tell the difference, LOL.

Erika (eusebius) - Sending supportive thoughts for the "craziest two weeks of the whole year" - Kudos for sticking to your exercise plan despite that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Getting massages to be in shape for gardening is one serious gardener.

Shepherdess - Yay for Meadowlarks!!! Ouch for being a Meadowlark in 6 inches of snow - we don't see them until we have ... duh ... meadows for them to wallow in, LOL. Kudos to you for grabbing the opportunity to tromp about when the blue sky appeared. Do you wear snow shoes?

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for a healthy day even though it ended with difficulty sleeping. Yay for chamomile tea even if it didn't do the sandman trick this time.

midlifecrisis57 - Yep missed ya; welcome back. How do you like your new home? I know that sequence; first you substitute healthy snacks for junk food, then you begin to slowly increase the size of the healthy snack until it's not so healthy anymore.

silverbirch - Waving back at one of the irregular but cherished posters.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Neat to have friends over to attack the extra food. Yep, pounds are the easier choice as a unit of losing, but, since you're bi-lingual anyway, isn't an Australian authorized to publish her weight in stones, LOL? (I'm sure silverbirch will teach us the secret number to convert.)

Amie (jazzmegirl) - Yay for crockpots for filling the house with the smells of healthy foods for hours on end.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for an OP day. I, too, like your idea of using a smaller fork or chopsticks to help pace the speed of eating. For years I loved my theory that chopsticks were the reason for so many lean Asians but, alas, had to abandon that theory once obesity hit China despite chopsticks.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yep, finding the time to stick to a food and exercise plan is a challenge, staring, of course, with finding the time to plan the plans. Beck has some encouraging writing about dealing with slip ups.

nathy - Always room for another Beck person; glad you found your way here. Have you started reading one of the Beck books?

Readers -
Quote:
Day 24
Dealing with Discouragement

For most people, losing weight starts off easy because their motivation and confidence are high. At some point, though, it begins to get harder. Life intervenes in ways that make sticking to your diet a real effort. Cravings become more intense. And some dieters begin to panic. they have sabotaging thoughts, such as:
  • It shouldn't be this hard.
  • I'll never be able to keep this up.
  • I don't want to do this anymore.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 189.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #88  

Thanks for nice invitation. I´m apreciate it...

How did I find you? About + - 10 years ago I have found 3FC, but there was only 1 thread, really. 3 sisters were writting about their dieting.
Now, 1 month ago 1 was looking for someones help, solution about overeating, compulsive eating.....and I tried 3FC, if it exists. YES! I was wery pleased and I read at "overeating" thead first. Someone was mention Beck ś solution, I was curious and came here, so here I am:-D
I´m a perfectionist, so I have read propearly what you have written from 1.1. 2009 to 6.1.2010. I am a reading maniac, so I read this thread every night like a detective story.
And why just Beck? Because I don´t need be on a diet (I am relatively slim 120/5´2´´), but I need to change some of my eating habits. I use food for calming down, for making comfort when I read, I can´t stop as normal people can........And for this I am sure the Beck is the best for me.
I had some problems with ordering the Becks´ books(the pink and the green ones) because I am from Europe (today is in our country your President Obama:-D)-from not English speaking country and book isn´t here. I tried to order in USA but they didn´t want to send books to Europe(even when shipping cost ist 12.60 for each book). BUT yesterday I was sucsesfull, I got it in Great Britain - they are posting to everywhere. I am so happy!

And another reason for contact just this thread is that I never met so nice, heplfull and pleasant people in net.

BillBE - SPECIAL thanks a lot for your quotations from Becks book. I copied it to Word and I use it instead of book till my books come.

P.S: Sorry for my English.I study it by myself, I love it.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Thursday

WI-unchanged. Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op; Exercise – op (58m).
Yesterday was a pretty typical work day. I stayed on-plan, and had to adjust things to get enough calories. (My Food Diary informed me I didn’t have enough calories…) It’s dreary here, but nice spring weather. Patches of rain, mostly clouds with temps in the 50s. So it was nice for walking.
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – credit!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite - credit!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – yes!
- Spontaneous exercise – yep!
- I posted here – yes!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – nope
- Read the pink book – nope

Beverlyjoy Kudos for a healthy day, and hope sleep gets better… I am confident you will get past the 4 month hurdle! Kudos for taking your Mom for her colonoscopy. They found a precancerous polyp in my DH 18 months ago and it was quite a scare. But he got a clean bill of health on his last colonoscopy and doesn’t need to do it again for 5 years. I’m glad he got his done…

shepherdess It’s great that the book has some of the answers you’ve been looking for.

Amie (jazzmegirl) Kudos for crockpot cooking!

Ann (newlifestyle) I found the time investment to get into the habit of planning was significant – probably 30 minutes a day? But since I use an electronic tool (my food diary) that has a substantial database of foods, and I can add others as well as recipes, it usually takes 10-15 minutes a day to make a food plan. So it does get better...

nathy

gardenerjoy I’m glad the massage made you more optimistic about gardening.

midlifecrisis Welcome back!! Sounds like you’ve been doing some good work while you’ve been on hiatus from the group.

Erika (eusebius) Bravo for eating well and exercising consistently during what is such a busy time for you!

Kim (bennyhannamama) I hope you feel much better today.

one by one Some kind of high fiber grain with the eggs would be good, but all I can think of is high fiber bread. Of course fruit would be good too, but probably not enough calories if you move to eggbeaters. Hopefully someone else will have some good advice.

silverbirch

Cheryl (seadwaters) Kudos for finding a way to use up food and socialize, without overeating yourself!

Bill I have never heard of salmon collar, and found this quote online:
Quote:
The collar on a salmon and is a prized piece of culinary bliss (ask ANY sushi chef). By all means SAVE the collar and broil it with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Another missed opportunity is the skin of the salmon. Remove the scales of the fish prior to filleting with the edge of a soup spoon. Once the skin is removed it can be sliced into narrow strips and broiled in the oven with salt to produce a savory "fish bacon" that is nutritious and lovely in a salad or use it to garnish your grilled or roasted salmon.
Salmon bacon sounds even more intriguing that salmon collars!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #90  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Smile Friday's official weigh-in

Good Morning Coaches

Official weight: 268.0 lbs

I gained 6lbs in my off plan eating during the last month. I have to say that makes me . I saw higher numbers over the weeks, even at the beginning of this week. Not too much damage done and I'll take that and move forward.

Food for today: I just ate breakfast. It was a bit of an adventure. I wanted eggs, but didn't want DH's white bread and couldn't figure what else to eat with the eggs (I need to go shopping) so I spied a box of Kashi Lean cereal. I made a decision to just eat that and looked in the fridge at the lingering box of blueberries, checked them, and they looked a bit shrivelled but hadn't gone bad. They really should be bad by now but I took a chance. Added all the berries to the cereal and then got my older milk out and *bloop* the milk was bad. It coated all the berries. So I grabbed my colander and washed the yukky milk off the cereal (yes) and the berries and the Kashi cereal is all puffy and big so it didn't fall through the holes and I had new milk and now I have had breakfast.

Why this feels like such an ordeal I don't know but I had breakfast today.

I'll focus on getting a light lunch into me before 1:30pm, and it's pizza night so I'll put a limit on my food for dinner and stick to it. No snacks today. No muffins today.

Have a great day Becksters.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-09-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Closed Thread