Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Monday, Monday

WI-down 0.4 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan; Food – op, Exercise – op (59m)
Yesterday was a pretty good day. We had leftover bbq chicken for dinner. After dinner I was tempted to make some minor changes to my plan, but I resisted. Credit! Other than that I had my standard meals and snacks. Exercise was also fine, some yoga and some walking.
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs. fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs. non-hunger before I ate – yes!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – credit!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – yep!
- Used resistance techniques – credit!
- I posted here – yes!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Spontaneous exercise – nope
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – nope
- Read the pink book – nope

Debbie (Lexxiss) Credit for planning your food. It took some getting used to for me, but I notice a difference in my eating when I don’t plan for a few days. I’m much more likely to reach my goals when I plan…

Beverlyjoy Onederland – now that is motivating! Kudos for the hard work that’s getting you there, day by day. Two pounds since last week – yay!

onebyone It’s interesting that cinnamon kills cravings for you, and kudos for using that to your advantage. Do you have a clean kitchen today?

Anne Hope you are getting a lot of biking in, while the weather is still pleasant…

gardenerjoy Nice light! Sounds like you had a good day yesterday – credit!

hikergirl Yay for incrementing your days without compulsive eating counter!

jazzmegirl Did you make a plan and buy food yesterday?

Erika (eusebius) The hunger experiment is an instructive exercise I think. I still will fall into the ruse of thinking hunger is an emergency, but that exercise clearly proves it is not… Kudos for all that exercise and getting your mojo back!

nathy My sister-in-law (SIL) is from the Czech Republic (Prague). We’ve had many members of her family come to visit from Prague. Everyone is so nice, and their English is so good. We hope to visit Prague in the next few years… I agree we are blessed in this country with beautiful scenery, especially with our national parks.

maryblu yay for loons! Yep, the number on the scale is information for you to use – nothing more, but nothing less.

Kim (bennyhannahmama) Hope you feel better today.

CeeJay Credit for 3 days on-track!

Futurefitchick Kudos from walking out of the sandwich shop! And lots of other credits too!

shepherdess Lambing does sound both stressful and labor intensive. Sometimes the best you can do is rely on the skills you’ve learned. Eat only when hungry, make reasonable / healthy choices, and then eat only until satisfied. Good luck!

Bill We bought my iPad at a store in Cincinnati when visiting DS. My nephew works there and said that although there was a huge line in the morning, they didn’t sell out until eod Sunday. We waited in line only 10 mins. It is the most enjoyable computing experience I’ve had… Yes I will trade my buffleheads for the loons, but I do love their bulbous profile…

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 04-13-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday in the city

Evening Coaches
These have been long days and I am emailing from a fairly shonky connection so I will keep it brief in case it gets lost

I am doing better with food that I thought. I am not that interested in what they are putting on for lunch - I am eating a healthy and substantial breakfast (lots of fruit and yoghurt). I am eating the morning and afternoon teas but instead of having 6 of everything I am limiting myself to one of anything which is very different for me. Today they put on mini chocolate coated ice-creams - and yes I did have one - but only one. So something is changing. I have been reading my advantage and response cards, doing accidental incidental exercise that I would rather not be doing but it is the only way to get about (walking) and the body is sort of holding up. I am actually looking forward to this being finished and taking control again and having a plan and being on plan again.

Cheryl
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday in the city

Evening Coaches
These have been long days and I am emailing from a fairly shonky connection so I will keep it brief in case it gets lost

I am doing better with food that I thought. I am not that interested in what they are putting on for lunch - I am eating a healthy and substantial breakfast (lots of fruit and yoghurt). I am eating the morning and afternoon teas but instead of having 6 of everything I am limiting myself to one of anything which is very different for me. Today they put on mini chocolate coated ice-creams - and yes I did have one - but only one. So something is changing. I have been reading my advantage and response cards, doing accidental incidental exercise that I would rather not be doing but it is the only way to get about (walking) and the body is sort of holding up. I am actually looking forward to this being finished and taking control again and having a plan and being on plan again.

Almost lost it too! Good thing I had pasted it to Notepad! Here goes again

Cheryl
Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #154  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm going to another massage session this morning. I'm a bit anxious since it made me sick last time, but my therapist seems very good, so I'm trusting that she will figure out things to do that will improve the situation.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +35, 570/1800 minutes for April, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

FutureFitChick:
yes, I started the DASH diet on April 1. I'm still using the web site as my resource, but I just checked and the book is waiting for me at the library! That will be good because I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to dial down the daily calorie count since I'm not currently eating everything I planned (there's a new event for me!) and I suspect that the book can help me do that.

Hello to everyone!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #155  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Day 3 / Week 1 of 12 - still taking notes...

Good Morning Coaches

I'm discombobulated this morning. I got an email last night from my sister. She forwarded to me 5 recent jpgs of my father, taken a week or so ago. My aunt, his sister, visited him at the senior's residence where he lives a few thousand miles away from me.

I haven't seen my father since, oh, 1978. He looks.... old. And my brother got his nose not me thank goodness. And he has all his hair. And I think I need to visit him and I wish I wasn't fat. That's it. I emailed the cousin, who I've never met, who sent the jpgs to my sister in the first place. She sent my email off to my aunt who has already responded to me with two emails. She lives in the same city I do. We've met twice? It's all timely since I am tracking down my father's lineage to get my UK Ancestry Work Visa. How's that for the universe reaching out to touch you?

Foodwise midafternoon yesterday I had a big treat with a friend over coffee. Otherwise an okay day. I recorded everything. credit I'll be glad when this preliminary week is over. Of course I already *think* I know what my patterns are but I am sure my attention to detail is skewed when it comes to myself and my own habits.

I have to head to the school soon so I'll end this here. Have a good day coaches and I promise not to eat over my discombobulation... one personal before I am off and I'll be back for more later...

BeverlyjoyI've attached a jpg of the Caesar cat in action from a few minutes ago taken with my little netbook. Kitty X was quietly sunning herself on the tower and he jumped on the chair and touched her. Just to bug her. It REALLY bugs her. Now neither of them are in the window...Kitty X left and he trotted off to look out the kitchen window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caesarbug.jpg (27.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #156  

Hi, everyone, back later. Took sedative last night, in my sleepy time tea, never doing it again, feeling really groggy this morning. Just the tea next time. Back later. Nothing to report, not hungry, just want to sleep some more.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #157  

Height: 5'6"

April 13 morning
Weight - could not stand on scale (did not want to know)
Exercise month to date -- 235 minutes of cardio, 175 min of strength or stretching
Days in April without compulsive overeating - 4 of 12
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies,

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +0.5 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: none planned
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: yes
Tracked today’s food: yes

BeverlyJoy, your message felt like a hug to me today. Thanks. How was the salad?

BillBlueEyes, great job at the gym. I’m still in need of my trainer to hold my hand.

ChinaMaine, so nice to be thinking about you in Maine today. You are doing so well!!!

GardenerJoy, I hope your massage went well. How terrible that it made you sick last time! Glad you get the book and great job for using the library instead of buying new.

Hikergirl, great job for posting. Keep it up, one day a at a time.

Jazzermegirl, hope you were able to get your rest.

Seadwaters, what a great realization for you that you miss your plan! Terrific!

Shepherdess, thanks for your kind words. I am so excited for you about lambing season. That sounds wonderful! Good luck with figuring out the food.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #159  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everyone

I slept in (for me that's good) and missed my morning check in.
Day 15 Start your Diet
-read from book
-read advantage cards
-weighed in
-ate slowly and mindfully
-keeping record of my meals
-exercised
-practiced distraction technique(washed the dog)
-plan for tomorrow
-gave myself credit

Had unplanned food last night, but got right back on track.

See you all tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I had a good Beck day today. We’re busy and tired but still having fun. I was even able to squeeze in a short run yesterday. The weather was too good to pass up, especially since we’re looking at crazy today and through tomorrow. My neck, shoulders and back are sore from some sheep rodeos we’ve had in the barn, but I’ve got some time and am going to do some yoga and stretch those hard used muscles.

Beverlyjoy, congrats on another 2 lbs gone! All of your hard work is paying off!

BillBE, kudos for getting to the gym—you’re still earning that protein shake! You could compare your workout now that doesn’t seem challenging to a previous one that did. I bet you’d find that you’re lifting more weight now. In that light an easy workout deserves a pat on the back.

ChinaMaine, thanks for the reminder that I just need to keep practicing the skills I’ve already established. As always, you continue to be an inspiration with your continued practice of recognizing satisfaction and fullness and identifying hunger and non-hunger, even when you’re under a lot of stress.

Seadwaters, congrats on eating well away from home. Yay for “something is changing.” It’s great when those Beck skills just click on.

Gardenerjoy, hope the message gives you some much needed therapy without the upset stomach. Kudos for getting in some exercise.

Onebyone, getting reconnected with long lost family sounds exciting and stressful all at the same time. Kudos for recognizing it as a possible trigger to eat and dealing with it.

Jazzmegirl, ouch for feeling groggy. Hope you feel better soon.

Hikegirl, waving back. It’s always hard to remember that the number on the scale is just information.

FutureFitChick, looks like a good list of credits. You are getting back to Beck quickly.

Lexxiss, yay for sleeping in. I love the idea of washing your dog as a distraction. If I did that I would have the cleanest dogs!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #161  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post wrapping up day 3

Coaches

We had movie day today and I had the large sugary beverage and the popcorn. I did try to make some calorie room in my foodplan for it today so credit for being aware but really, it's not enough of an effort in the end. Next time I'll do better. I did eat lunch, a light lunch of soup with a cup of veggies added to the soup credit which is very uncharacteristically healthy behaviour. This was good. So as usual, good and bad today. Progress not perfection.

jazzmegirl I hope you got all caught up on your sleep

hikergirl credit for posting here and for keeping track

FutureFitChick credit for all your Beck behaviours

Lexxisscredit for getting back on your program and for taking note of all the on plan stuff you did

Shepherdess You are a great example for taking care of yourself in the midst of a stressful and demanding time. It's amazing to me that you see the time off as an opportunity to do yoga and to stretch. I usually opt for the laz-y-boy. I have a-ways to go I see! Thanks, and formal credit to you for all your Beck behaviours.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #162  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I taught my class and the students all had a good time! The cafe at the art center had very good food, and for the most part healthy, except the chocolate cake. Oh, well. It was good cake. . .Today, I tracked my food, credit, and came in under goal, yay! My pedometer has gone wonky, but I probably got 8000+ steps. I resisted an afternoon trip to the vending machine at work, credit. I want to make a flow chart that says something like, "Is it is a puffy sealed bag? Yes---->Don't eat it. Does it come out of a glass fronted machine? Yes---->Don't eat it. Is it sold at a place that shouldn't be selling crap, like craft stores or hardware stores? Yes---->Don't eat it.

Tomorrow I meet with clients for a commission. I'm nervous. I still have that underlying belief that I am inadequate in some essential way. I guess I need to view it as sabotaging, and practice living my life anyway.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #163  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Each day is getting better... hope to elaborate tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone!!

Thanks for your sympathy and tips on not losing posts. I'm learning.

Just a quick check in tonight. I had a good day today- that is 4 in a row!!! YAY. I still have an amazed feeling every single on-track day. Don't know when that feeling will end- will eating "normally" ever feel normal? Not anytime soon I don't think. I have not eaten "normal" for my entire 48 years, or at least the ones I can remember. Do you know what I mean? I find I have to be on top of this (eating, exercising, cards, weighing in, etc....and resisting, resisting, resisting) all the time. Maybe that is part of what wears some of us down at points. Then again when I don't pay close attention I start slipping into old habits.

I am off to the city for one night in the hotel tomorrow. I have a plan. Just need to do it. Say no choice.

Credit today for:

weighing in
posting
reading advantage and response cards
doing weights
eating on plan
eating for 2nd day in a row in a restaurant for lunch and ordering salad not all the other stuff
driving home very hungry but not stopping for anything off plan

Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyhannahmama View Post
Each day is getting better... hope to elaborate tomorrow.
Excellent!!! Here's to a good day tomorrow for you and everyone else out there!!!
Closed Thread