Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #136  

Height: 5'7"

Just popping in to say hi!

Anne
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #137  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday went fine. I'll try to attach one of my photos showing the earling morning light that makes photographers get up at sunrise. Stomach still feels a bit delicate, but I'll be working my way towards normal today, probably still going a little light on dairy and fruit.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +60, 535/1800 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: loved your red herring! Thanks for sharing it with us.

bennyhannahmama: hope you're feeling better!

BillBlueEyes: yay for a victory in the battle against tree nuts!

Greetings and gratitude for all the rest of you who are making this thread such a vibrant place right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridge2-for3FC.jpg (55.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #138  

Height: 5'6"

Hi all.

April 12 morning
Weight 157.1
Exercise month to date -- 135 minutes of cardio, 145 min of strength or stretching
Days in April without compulsive overeating - 4 of 11
Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #139  

Morning coaches. Bill, great for resisting the nuts, buffets can be full of temptations. Kim, glad you got meds, hope you are feeling better, god for you leaving food over, enjoy the grill. Beverly joy kudos for stretching out your meal, ouch for the dental work. China, yay for all the exercise, and for planning and cooking your food. Lexxiss, good idea to plan your meals and cook them in advance. Onebyone cleaning your kitchen sounds worth while, kudos for stretching your taste comfort zone with the cereal. Off to buy groceries and cook some food for the week, I know I've been saying that all weekend, but, I'm sick of constantly resisting restaurants and grocery stores, because I haven't planned my food.
Amie
Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #140  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone!

I am doing the hunger experiment today so I'm *really* hungry right now. And that is OK! So far my greatest discomfort level has been about a 6 out of 10 (equal to an ob/gyn exam on my personal scale) ... but that only lasted a few moments and I've mostly been at a 2 to 4 level since about 11 this morning (Breakfast was at 8). I'm allowing myself another cup of coffee in a minute but that's it ...

This past week was an improvement - my weight stayed the same and I worked out four times (2 strength and 2 cardio, plus a fair amount of non-scheduled walking because the weather is allowing for that now!) So I am starting to get my mojo back. Got up and did some walking on the treadmill this morning, which felt great. The Yeti does not stand a chance this week!!

(((FutureFitChick))) I am so sorry to hear about your father. Take good care of yourself.

Bill- Kudos on your conquest of the nuts!! (Star Wars VII: Return of the Tree Nuts)

Beverlyjoy - WTG on stretching supper out to 30 minutes! That can be difficult to do!

ChinaMaine - Wow, an iPad! Insert green-eyed jealousy monster icon here I just got an iPhone a couple of weeks ago and I cant put the thing down. Nice work getting back on track after a slip!

Debbie - you are doing great! Sounds like planning menus in advance was a real adjustment for you -- good job!

onebyone - Cats, I'm telling you. Kudos for breakfast. I wish cinnamon took away my cravings. I'd be buying stock in Club House spices right about now.

Anne -

gardenerjoy - glad you are feeling better. What a gorgeous photo! Thanks for sharing it with us.

hikergirl - kudos for keeping yourself accountable here on the thread.

Amie - totally hear you on the resisting restaurants thing. Dr Beck is right - planning our eating is the way to go.

Off to get my coffee in lieu of lunch. I'm excited for the days to come!
cheers
Erika
Old 04-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #141  

Erika, I admire your determination with all the exercise, and now, the hunger experiment, you go, girl! Can't do that one, I'm hypoglycemic, I guess Beck would obviously let me pass on that one, if there's a medical reason not to.
Okay, food OP, exercise sucked, bike time 17 30 not my worst, but certainly no what it has been lately. And, I needed my asthma inhaler afterwords, to add insult to injuy. Trainer said lack of sleep is the biggest factor in determining exercise performance. Oh well, credit for doing it.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #142  

Beverlyjoy - your mother is brave and can be proud of her daugter not only for doing public service announcement. I´m happy her result is good.My mother is going through the prevent colon test on Wednesday, she asked me to think about her, so will I.
My father was 26 year cancer survivor-Hodgkin disease.He also help to other people to get through the cancer.Died 2 years ago.
And second thing we have similar -be good at spotting lice and nits- I am a teacher as well (primary school) so I have big experience on doing that:-D
Good job working on your sabotaging thoughts...

ChinaMaine - I am from Czech Rep. I live in the southern part, 20 km from Austria, that for us is near to travel to skiing to Alps or to Italy (6hours and 15 min. by car from our garage to the beach).
You also had a beautiful trip. In 1999 we traveled with my hubby through america.First Nationale parks and big towns in the west and 2 days Mexico and then western part of your beautiful country. I have never seen such as georges nature sceneries. We hope to see it once again but we must wait till our daughter will be older, because this trip was quite difficult.

Hikegirl- Yes, I can speak German, but I can speak Russian better:-D
At our primary school -from 5th grade, we had to study Russian lang., in 7 th grade I attended language school for Germany and at high school 4 years -again Russian and Germany, 5 years at university Germ. and Russian, too.
But I don´t like to speak German, it doesn´t sound well for me. I love listening to the American English but British English is easier for listening.

Bennyhannamama - sorry for this kind of troubles , but believe me, it´s normal between children.We solve it nearly every 2 weeks at school.You must be patient with it.

CeeJay - good decision to get back on track.

Gardenerjoy - thanks for sharing your garden-exercise info. I ĺl do it in your way.

onebyone - please, don´t read stupid magazines! Read this thread:-D There are so nice people around here which support you and love you.
Credit for a perfect solution you have written:
So I listened to the little voice that told me to calm down and do what I was doing before because it worked. There is no emergency. There is just consistent day in day out humdrum of following a food plan.

seadwaters - I have the same problem: I have no idea how long is 5´5´´. A little longer than me 5´2´´ but how many exactly - I don´t know.

BillBE - credits for your geografical knowledge, sense of humor (I love it) and for your continuing workout with finding a motivation.

Last edited by nathy; 04-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #143  

Next I ĺl write tomorow. It´s midnight here and I need to be fresh (look like) for tomorow:-)
Bye, bye Beckies.

Last edited by nathy; 04-12-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Random ramblings, dear Beckies. Bear with me, or not...*laffin'.

Hi, wndranne; I am glad you check in once in a while. Good to see you!

Dubious nsv.....+ or -..dunno. I had bought a pair of cargo pants on sale really cheap a year and a half ago..they were too small, but really cheap, and I had been at that size before and wanted to get back, so bought them. *sigh. Wore them anyway yesterday, but they are too big. *laffin'. Can't win for losin'. I have purged everything over a size 6, so had better stay on the straight and narrow.

That said, I was at my office today with "my scale"..the old fashioned balance beam kind..did NOT want to face it. Wasn't going to..and it wasn't even Beck wisdom that made me do it; it was the work I have done with my psychologist; he would have said, "You need to know. You don't get to pick your times". So, now I know, and 136 is a gift given my many transgressions. Makes it easier to get back on track and I feel confident about it.

Quite the birding weekend just traveling. Coming back from the Twin Cities on Sat. I was taunted by a Cardinal at a rest stop..could hear, but not see it..kept following the call...kept walking..not finding. Was ready to T him up for taunting. Saw a flock of Pelican flying..they are so startlingly white, but with black wings underneath. Easy to distinguish from anything else. Saw an Egret peacefully sitting by a pond. Amazingly white!

Yesterday traveling in ND I saw so many Ring necked Pheasants..all roosters; the hens are nesting. Only one was suicidal, and fortunately, I wasn't buying into his plan.

And yes, all, the loons are back and they make me very happy!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #145  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Going to bed. Long day at work, still sick, just put kids to bed. Feeling like I'm about to lose control of food. Hope to get myself more organized tomorrow. Goodnight, Becksters.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

GRRRRRRRRRR-- somehow I lost a nice long post of personals....should not be doing things half asleep.

Anyway all is well with me- 3rd day back on track and it feels really good.

Good night everyone!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

12 April 2010:

Coaches/Buddies, had a pretty focused day, which felt like a great improvement over the last week. Thanks for all of your positive thoughts.

Eating went well today. I stopped on the way home from a late class to pick up a sandwich and really thought about how I would deal with all of the components I typically order. I ended up driving home instead and cooking because I wanted more to stay within my calorie range instead.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: -1 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: no – overslept and didn’t make it up in time ☹
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: yes
Tracked today’s food: yes

BennyHannahMama, hi, Lady! Glad you got something to help you feel better. Great job with being aware of your fullness while eating.

BeverlyJoy, great job with all of

BillBlueEyes, great job at the buffet. That is such a difficult eating environment.

GardenerJoy, thanks so much for your warm thoughts. Did you change your eating plan to DASH? Looks like your exercise is right on plan. Great job!

Jazzermegirl, great job for sticking with your plan.

KidsLibraryLady,
Silverbirch, thank you so much for your kind thoughts.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 04-12-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #148  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

We started lambing several days ago and we were not ready. The first lambs were due around the 10th and we had planned to spend last week getting ready for it. With bad weather and ranch equipment breakdowns, etc., we had put off separating our early lambers out of the herd and setting up the lambing barn. Then the lambs came a few days early, so we have been scrambling to catch up because they are going to do this whether or not we’re on board. On top of that chaos, we had brandings on both Sat and Sun. Both small, but just one more thing to coordinate. Luckily, my MIL and SIL took care of feeding the Sun crew. It took a lot of pressure off of me.

All of this is labor intensive and so I don’t have to find time for exercise. Food, on the other had, has been hit and miss over the last few days. Just lots of challenges feeling stressed and tired. My schedule is now unpredictable—we’re living on sheep time. I also have a friend who stays with us on the weekends and helps with the lambing. She’s a huge help—I don’t think we could have made it through the weekend without her—and she loves to do it. But it was just one more excuse for me to get off track.

It wasn’t all bad. I did use the resistance muscle occasionally and there’s no change in the scale. I’m just worried about gaining weight. I gained a few lbs last lambing season and am determined not to let that happen again. So I have a bit of down time this PM and thought I needed to check in with the Beckstars and I’m making a plan of some quick easy meals that give me lots of leftovers.

Welcome Nathy! I’m so impressed that you are a self-schooled linguist!

Midlifecrisis57, good to see you back! I was thinking of your nickname, Lamb Lady, for me as I’ve been up to my ears in lambs. Thanks for the reminder that “Crime doesn't pay! When will I ever learn for good?” I’ve also found that since I’ve changed my eating with Beck, just slight deviations from my good habits leaves my stomach a bit upset. Now how to remember that before I eat the cookie. . .

BillBE, thanks for the line, “just a reminder that nutrition isn't a good vs. bad issue, but an issue of getting the nutrition I need in the calories I'm consuming.” That’s such a great way to see it and it’s something I need to keep in mind right now, since I need proper nutrition to fuel all the work I need to do.

Onebyone, you’re doing such a great job moving forward. I’m impressed with your attitude that the damage done wasn’t so bad and it’s better to move on. I loved the lithography description—just fascinating and so cool that you do it.

CeeJay, kudos for getting back on track after a rough patch. I came across a great Beck line the other day. Something about how when you fall off the wagon it doesn’t keep going. It stops until you are ready to get back on. Not an exact quote, but my book is not immediately handy.

Eusebius, best of luck on the craziest two weeks of the year. Sounds like we’re in similar situations, so just know I’m cheering you on!

FutureFitChick, it’s great to see you back! I’m so sorry about losing your father. Big hugs while you’re in this rough patch.

Wndranne, waving back. Hope things are going well.

Maryblu, lol at “can’t win for losin’” but yay for too small pants now being too big. Kudos for getting on that scale. It really is just info, not a judgment.

Waving to everyone else. I have read and appreciated your posts, but I’m short on time. Keep up the good fight!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 AM   #149  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was gym day; CREDIT moi. It annoys me that I'm not pushing myself terribly hard at the gym. I worked harder when I had a trainer once a week. But that seems like a lot of money to pay just to get me to pay attention to what I'm doing. I feel like I'm not earning the protein shake I have before gym, which is supposed to help repair the muscle exertions. Feeling guilty like I'm just enjoying the shake, LOL. Heaven forbid!!

Hadn't packed any protein with my lunch knowing that I had some hidden foil packages of tuna and tinned fish. I actually looked at the "best used by" dates of everything, and chose the one that had to go first. CREDIT moi for remembering that food items have a shelf life. The most recently purchased sardines are stamped 2015!!!! Those guys last a loooooooong time.

maryblu - Those White Pelicans are just splendid; see then very rarely around here. Thank you for not wiping out the suicidal Ring-necked Pheasant; we need them all. Kinda amazing that you and ChinaMaine report first loons on the same day. And Kudos for facing the scale.

onebyone - Amazing that cinnamon kills cravings; I'll have to try that.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving back; hope your bike has been up the mountain trails and that you get to glimpse my nemesis bird the Roadrunner.

ChinaMaine - Hallelujah indeed for the first sounds of loons. Royal jealously here for that iPad; in Boston the lines were long enough before the Apple Store opened to be pictured in the Boston Globe. Goodbye Buffleheads - you're one smart looking duck.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Ouch for still sick; You can stay in control.

Susan (hikergirl) - "135 minutes" is one serious bunch of cardio; Kudos.

Erika (eusebius) - Happy thought this, "I am starting to get my mojo back." That's a lot of workout with your schedule. LOL at "Star Wars VII: Return of the Tree Nuts" - I'll think of that next time I see my hand reaching out.

FutureFitChick - Great decision to cook after carefully thinking it through.

CeeJay - I hate losing personals; I keep a running backup. Kudos for third day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the morning light photo - it's just a gift to be able to compose that. Ouch for the slowly recovering stomach.

Shepherdess - Just mindboggling your lambing stories are to me. Kudos for thinking mindfully about food at all with that much happening. LOL at "because they are going to do this whether or not we’re on board."

Beverlyjoy - Good grief - "DH cleaned and reorganized the garage (one of his favorite things to do)." Color me jealous. I have a basement that longs to be organized - there are parts for cars long ago sold and even some old slate shingles removed from roof work 20+ years ago just because I think they're neat.

Amie (jazzmegirl) - Neat thought; If you cook food, you don't have to resist restaurants. Yep, you're absolutely right; don't do the hunger exercise if you're hypoglycemic - much more important to take care of your intake.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for planning your dinners for the week; I can well imagine that's tough, although I've never done it. DW had done that every week since forever and then makes her shopping list for the week. She laughs that I find that amazing; "How else would you know what to buy?"

nathy - Did your DD enjoy Aquaworld? Do you know one of my favorite English words, 'defenestrate' - used recently when one stops using the MicroSoft Windows operating system, but means to throw out the window based on the event so very long ago in Prague when the political discussion was resolved when 7 politicians were tossed out the window. Did that really happen?

Readers -
Quote:
Day 24
Finding Encouragement

To motivate yourself, especially in the face of self-doubt, do the following:
. . .
Add up the difficult hours. Many dieters I've counseled have wanted to give up at one point or another. They've come to me and said, "I had such a hard week. I don't know if I want to do this any more." Then they'd tell me about some struggle they went through to stay on their diet.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 189.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck buddies, coaches, friends.... yesterday was a healthy day. My plan changed during the day in response to my dental work - but, I stayed in my calories range and wrote everything down.

I got on the scale today - I am down 2 pounds since last week when I weighed. I am so grateful and so happy!

I got all my thank you notes written to my clients - I am glad I am caught up on that. Today I am having lunch with a friend. She is coming over - we are having salads from Wendy's. My city is a test market for Wendy's and one of their new salads has chicken, cranberries, a few peacons, etc - with a pomegrannet (SP?) dressing. It's good - you can get all these new salads in small and large sizes. I think I'll get the small one.

yesterday:
planned food (changed plan) - logged all food
ate seated, no seconds - all the time
fork down between bites - most of the time
ate pretty slow and mindfully
tasted food - most of the time
left a bite after meals and snacks - all the time
read arc/rc/ - read st on page 193 and addressed each one
stretches and strengthening
use resistance techniques

no spontanteous exercise
didn't feel fullness or pay attention to that

billbe - great getting to the gym - yes, do enjoy your protein shake. If you are going to have it - enjoy it without the guilt relating to the degree of workout at the gym. You are entitled to eat and enjoy the foods you have planned for. BTW - Dh rearranged the basement constently in the winter! (garage and basement are his domain).

shepardess - you sound tired - you are a good lamb mommy. Be kind to yourself during this time. All this lambing is certainly exercise.

futurefitchick - I am so glad this week is going well and better than last week. That is great. So many good credits...you can build on them!

Ceejay - so sorry to hear that you lost your post - that has happened to me many times. After that I started to click and copy and save it as I go along. That way if it disappears at least I still have it. Three days on plan is GREAT.

KIm - sorry you are still feeling sick and 'shakey' with your food. 'Hold on tight' to what you know and do the best you can. Glad you posted.

Maryblu - that's a HUGE credit buying too small pants and now they are loose!! yay

nathy - I wish you mom well as she does her colon testing. The preparation is awful. I hope you are doing well. So glad you posted. Three of my grandparents are from Eastern Europe. Mostly - Russia. However, my Grandma Frieda lived in the same house when she was little for 12 years and the country changed three times...Russia, Prussia, & Poland. Then her family came to the USA about 1895.

jazz - good credit for staying op and doing your exercise!! Sorry you had to go to inhaler. (my sister has exercise asthma - you take care now)

hikergirl - glad you posted...great job on doing your execises and putting together a string of nonbinge days.

eusebiass - good job on the treatmill! Glad you did the 'hunger - not eating' exericise. Yes, it's amazing how inciteful doing that task is!! I am glad you are getting your mojo back.

gardenerjoy - so glad your tummy is improving and you had a better day - that's the of a day to build on.

hi winddrame! so glad you stopped by to say hello!

onebyone - good job on eating breakfast and planning to plan meals!! What does your cat look like? We lost our Bandit last Novemeber - he was a tuxedo cat. I miss that furboy.

Shout out to anyone that stops by for a peak!! I hope everyone has a good day. Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-13-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Closed Thread